NATION

PASSWORD

Disney Parks To Alter Iconic Jungle Cruise Attraction

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Baloo Kingdom
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 22, 2020
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Baloo Kingdom » Mon Jan 25, 2021 6:40 pm

Heloin wrote:
Albrenia wrote:Is it bad that I don't care?

If you care then you have a problem.

Hello, I'm Heloin and I'm a themeparkaholic.

Hello, I’m Baloo Kingdom and I’m also a themeparkaholic.
Ohioan, friend, and adept memer, Baloo has got it all.

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Founded: Aug 20, 2010
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Ethel mermania » Mon Jan 25, 2021 6:41 pm

Western Fardelshufflestein wrote:
Heloin wrote:But they never made that façade. Only those who objected that material some might find offensive being removed ever insisted that façade was the reason. Namely you and Atheris. The changes where actually being made for a movie and the dropping of objectionable characters happened because the set designers probably felt it would be a bad choice to add them.

The main objection you both seem to have is that removing offensive is bad because a corporation did it, but only when it's removed because it's offensive.

Not necessarily...I understand this is for a movie. But things in general, well...corporations in many cases have gotten too powerful, and the Sherman Antitrust Act and the like should have been used against them years ago.

Knotts berry farm, universal, six flags, etc. Are all competitors
https://www.hvst.com/posts/the-clash-of ... s-wl2TQBpY

The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.
--S. Huntington

The most fundamental problem of politics is not the control of wickedness but the limitation of righteousness. 

--H. Kissenger

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Ethel mermania » Mon Jan 25, 2021 6:43 pm

Heloin wrote:

If you care then you have a problem.

Lies, if it were true you would feel my pain

The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.
--S. Huntington

The most fundamental problem of politics is not the control of wickedness but the limitation of righteousness. 

--H. Kissenger

Heloin
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 30, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Heloin » Mon Jan 25, 2021 6:44 pm

Western Fardelshufflestein wrote:
Heloin wrote:But they never made that façade. Only those who objected that material some might find offensive being removed ever insisted that façade was the reason. Namely you and Atheris. The changes where actually being made for a movie and the dropping of objectionable characters happened because the set designers probably felt it would be a bad choice to add them.

The main objection you both seem to have is that removing offensive is bad because a corporation did it, but only when it's removed because it's offensive.

Not necessarily...I understand this is for a movie. But things in general, well...corporations in many cases have gotten too powerful, and the Sherman Antitrust Act and the like should have been used against them years ago.

It's a theme park ride from the 50's that they decided to remove some racist bits from. They made a press statement to announce they where redesigning the whole ride so people know it's coming back and to boost attention for it when it reopens.

Baloo Kingdom
Ambassador

Postby Baloo Kingdom » Mon Jan 25, 2021 6:45 pm

Ethel mermania wrote:
Heloin wrote:If you care then you have a problem.

The Pee-Wee Herman injustice? In reference to R3X?
Last edited by Baloo Kingdom on Mon Jan 25, 2021 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Heloin
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Heloin » Mon Jan 25, 2021 6:46 pm

Ethel mermania wrote:
Heloin wrote:If you care then you have a problem.

Florida resident discount :p

Baloo Kingdom
Ambassador

Postby Baloo Kingdom » Mon Jan 25, 2021 6:48 pm

Heloin wrote:
Ethel mermania wrote:Lies, if it were true you would feel my pain

Florida resident discount :p

I used to have a California resident discount, you know, when I used to live near the park.

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Ethel mermania » Mon Jan 25, 2021 6:51 pm

Baloo Kingdom wrote:
Ethel mermania wrote:Lies, if it were true you would feel my pain

The Pee-Wee Herman injustice? In reference to R3X?

Yes, he was genius.

--S. Huntington

--H. Kissenger

Exxosia
Diplomat

Founded: May 09, 2008
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Exxosia » Mon Jan 25, 2021 6:51 pm

I had to look up what would be "culturally insensitive" about that ride. I don't remember any of that being on that ride, so they must have added it in the intervening decades. I would say they need to gut the attraction and rebuild the entire thing as it looks like a janky mess of awful.

Baloo Kingdom
Ambassador

Postby Baloo Kingdom » Mon Jan 25, 2021 6:52 pm

Ethel mermania wrote:
Baloo Kingdom wrote:The Pee-Wee Herman injustice? In reference to R3X?

Yes, he was genius.

May he Rest In Peace In Oga’s Cantina

Stylan
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 01, 2019
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Stylan » Mon Jan 25, 2021 6:58 pm

More meaningless woke bullshit that does nothing to actually address issues of racism.
[align=center]Christian.

Quartia and Karafuto
Spokesperson

Founded: Jul 26, 2019

Postby Quartia and Karafuto » Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:07 pm

I am glad they're doing something with Jungle Cruise. That ride's gone like 40 years with practically no changes.
My nation - which is pretty much just a unified Korea with some extra territory - represents my real views. NS stats only broadly correct, trust the factbooks over them. Feel free to call me Q&K, Quartia, or any other nickname.

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Cannot think of a name » Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:17 pm

Really is the default position.
"...I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods of direct action;" who paternalistically feels he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by the myth of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait until a "more convenient season." -MLK Jr.

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Postby Cannot think of a name » Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:19 pm

Exxosia wrote:I had to look up what would be "culturally insensitive" about that ride. I don't remember any of that being on that ride, so they must have added it in the intervening decades. I would say they need to gut the attraction and rebuild the entire thing as it looks like a janky mess of awful.

Or you just didn't remember it and it wasn't that important to the ride and can be changed without losing a thing because again, the only reason to go on the ride is for the dad jokes from the tour guide.
"...I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods of direct action;" who paternalistically feels he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by the myth of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait until a "more convenient season." -MLK Jr.

Senkaku
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Sep 01, 2012
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Senkaku » Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:22 pm

a lot of adults spend a surprising amount of time thinking about disney rides
Biden-Santos Thought cadre

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Postby Cannot think of a name » Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:23 pm

Senkaku wrote:a lot of adults spend a surprising amount of time thinking about disney rides

Apparently their childhoods are faberge eggs that threaten to break at the slightest provocation.

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Ethel mermania » Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:24 pm

Senkaku wrote:a lot of adults spend a surprising amount of time thinking about disney rides

Hey, we did our honeymoon at disneyworld.

--S. Huntington

--H. Kissenger

Senkaku
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Sep 01, 2012
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Senkaku » Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:25 pm

Ethel mermania wrote:

Hey, we did our honeymoon at disneyworld.

that is a little bit weird, but I hope you enjoyed nonetheless
Biden-Santos Thought cadre

Katganistan
Senior Game Moderator

Postby Katganistan » Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:26 pm

Baloo Kingdom wrote:As of a recent announcement, Disney has released a statement on their plans to refurbish their famous Jungle Cruise attraction to make it more culturally sensitive.
Tweet:
NSG, your thoughts?

Although this change may come sadly to some, I believe that this alteration may be necessary to revitalize the attraction and to preserve its reputation to further generations.

I don't think it's bad to remove cultural stereotypes. I DO think it was mishandled in Pirates of the Caribbean when the pirates chasing the women during the sacking of the town was changed to pirates chasing women CARRYING PLATES OF HAM.

I mean, come on. I first experienced that ride waaaaaay back in the 70s and never questioned that the pirates were chasing the women. I probably thought about it from the perspective of a first or second grader -- boys were gross and had cooties and wanted to steal a kiss from the girls, who did not want that.

But yes, if they are for altering the tribes depicted as savages and cannibals to something more realistic, then I say go ahead. Enjoying a ride should not be at the expense of others' dignity, and 'it's tradition!' is a piss-poor excuse to continue it.

Western Fardelshufflestein
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 21, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Western Fardelshufflestein » Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:27 pm

Katganistan wrote:
Baloo Kingdom wrote:As of a recent announcement, Disney has released a statement on their plans to refurbish their famous Jungle Cruise attraction to make it more culturally sensitive.
Tweet:
NSG, your thoughts?

Although this change may come sadly to some, I believe that this alteration may be necessary to revitalize the attraction and to preserve its reputation to further generations.

I don't think it's bad to remove cultural stereotypes. I DO think it was mishandled in Pirates of the Caribbean when the pirates chasing the women during the sacking of the town was changed to pirates chasing women CARRYING PLATES OF HAM.

I mean, come on. I first experienced that ride waaaaaay back in the 70s and never questioned that the pirates were chasing the women. I probably thought about it from the perspective of a first or second grader -- boys were gross and had cooties and wanted to steal a kiss from the girls, who did not want that.

But yes, if they are for altering the tribes depicted as savages and cannibals to something more realistic, then I say go ahead. Enjoying a ride should not be at the expense of others' dignity, and 'it's tradition!' is a piss-poor excuse to continue it.

^^
The Constitutional Monarchy of Western Fardelshufflestein
Always Has Been. | WF's User Be Like | NSG is Budget Twitter | Yo, Kenneth Branagh won an Oscar
Tiny, Shakespeare-obsessed island nation northeast of NZ settled by HRE emigrants who thought they'd landed in the West Indies. F7 Stuff Mostly Not Canon; RP is in real time; Ignore Stats; Still Not Kenneth Branagh. | A L A S T A I R C E P T I O N
The Western Fardelshufflestein Sentinel | 27 November 2022 bUt wHy iS tHE rUm gOnE!?

Katganistan
Senior Game Moderator

Postby Katganistan » Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:28 pm

Baloo Kingdom wrote:
Vassenor wrote:
Yeah, it's like when they tweaked Pirates of the Caribbean to add Jack Sparrow and Barbossa to the ride. Except they clashed with the more stylised animatronics already in use.
Zul-ar wrote:I read through the article linked in the tweet, and the changes are barely about cultural sensitivity, and far more about story.

I may have misjudged the focus of the article, sorry.

Actually, you didn't.

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Ethel mermania » Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:28 pm

Senkaku wrote:
Ethel mermania wrote:Hey, we did our honeymoon at disneyworld.

It was great, we had a blast

It is a lot more common than apparently you think, there are millions of Disney freaks out there. If you have time Google Disney Park fans, or look on YouTube. Its a rat hole

--S. Huntington

--H. Kissenger

Heloin
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Heloin » Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:29 pm

Senkaku wrote:
Ethel mermania wrote:Hey, we did our honeymoon at disneyworld.

Imagine the teacups ride with the banner just married draped around one of them.

Katganistan
Senior Game Moderator

Postby Katganistan » Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:29 pm

Xmara wrote:
Cannot think of a name wrote:Well, the internet exists and I can hear the Tiki Room song whenever I want, so...

The only reason you go on that ride is for the guide's dad jokes. Nothing else matters.

Only thing I really remember about that ride is standing in line in the scorching June heat and mom complaining about the people who had FastPass.

There is a solution to that.....

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Ethel mermania » Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:30 pm

Katganistan wrote:
Baloo Kingdom wrote:I may have misjudged the focus of the article, sorry.

Actually, you didn't.

There is something wrong with that article, i thought they redid splash mountain like a decade ago? And Disney not tying it into a movie? Someone needs to get fired.

--S. Huntington

--H. Kissenger

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General