NATION

PASSWORD

8 year old arrested for battery for punching a teacher

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

SatoSere
Envoy

Founded: Jun 24, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby SatoSere » Thu Aug 13, 2020 5:30 pm

The Emerald Legion wrote:
North American Imperial State wrote:You do not need to use any type of physical assertion on any child, including slapping on hangcuffs.

You're simply incorrect.

What kind of children did you deal with?
The Immortal Pristine Revolutionary State of Ukraine
SUMMARY: An autocratic technocratic "utopia" with the best architecture and environment in the world, paid by the freedom of citizens.
What do we have to offer? A magnificent timeless architecture, weather-altering BS machines, a pristine environment, a strong military, and a death toll of 10 million from our concentration camps and bloody wars.
FOR EVERY BAD REPLY, A POLITICAL OPPONENT WILL BE SENT TO CHERNOBYL. 13 sent (don't get offended if you get chernobyl'd 'tis just a joke)

У К Р А Ї Н А Н О М Е Р О Д И Н У С В І Т О В О М У Щ А С Т І | П Р О К Л Я Т А З О Б Р А Ж Е Н Н Я | С Л А В А Л Е Г І О Н У С Е Р Е Н И
Q&A here another acc: HXVZ-07031017

The Emerald Legion
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 18, 2011
Father Knows Best State

Postby The Emerald Legion » Thu Aug 13, 2020 5:44 pm

Ghost Land wrote:
Purpelia wrote:If the problem maker is physically removed from the other children he can no longer bother them.

That can also be accomplished by sending the problematic child out in the hallway or to the principal's office for the time being.

Can it now? How do you do that without making them leave if they don't want to?

SatoSere wrote:
You're simply incorrect.

My mother had me barely into adulthood and I had two younger sisters. I've also worked AROUND children most of my life. A teacher gently grabbing a child by the shoulders and steering them to where they should be isn't abuse. The idea it is is why our schools are so fucked up right now.
"23.The unwise man is awake all night, and ponders everything over; when morning comes he is weary in mind, and all is a burden as ever." - Havamal

SatoSere
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby SatoSere » Thu Aug 13, 2020 5:47 pm

Ghost Land wrote:That can also be accomplished by sending the problematic child out in the hallway or to the principal's office for the time being.

SatoSere wrote:What kind of children did you deal with?

My mother had me barely into adulthood and I had two younger sisters. I've also worked AROUND children most of my life. A teacher gently grabbing a child by the shoulders and steering them to where they should be isn't abuse. The idea it is is why our schools are so fucked up right now.

Keyword: Gently. This is definitely not gentle, lol.
SUMMARY: An autocratic technocratic "utopia" with the best architecture and environment in the world, paid by the freedom of citizens.
What do we have to offer? A magnificent timeless architecture, weather-altering BS machines, a pristine environment, a strong military, and a death toll of 10 million from our concentration camps and bloody wars.
FOR EVERY BAD REPLY, A POLITICAL OPPONENT WILL BE SENT TO CHERNOBYL. 13 sent (don't get offended if you get chernobyl'd 'tis just a joke)

У К Р А Ї Н А Н О М Е Р О Д И Н У С В І Т О В О М У Щ А С Т І | П Р О К Л Я Т А З О Б Р А Ж Е Н Н Я | С Л А В А Л Е Г І О Н У С Е Р Е Н И

The Emerald Legion
Postmaster-General

Father Knows Best State

Postby The Emerald Legion » Thu Aug 13, 2020 5:54 pm

SatoSere wrote:

Keyword: Gently. This is definitely not gentle, lol.

Oh of course. I don't think this particular incident was justified at all. But at the same time, it's just more fuel for the psychos ruining shit with their hyperbolic 'any physical contact is abuse and you can discipline just with words.' thing.
"23.The unwise man is awake all night, and ponders everything over; when morning comes he is weary in mind, and all is a burden as ever." - Havamal

SatoSere
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby SatoSere » Thu Aug 13, 2020 5:59 pm

SatoSere wrote:Keyword: Gently. This is definitely not gentle, lol.

Oh of course. I don't think this particular incident was justified at all. But at the same time, it's just more fuel for the psychos ruining shit with their hyperbolic 'any physical contact is abuse and you can discipline just with words.' thing.

Does smacking a troublemaking child's back with a Pikachu plushie that you bought back in elementary school count as gentle?

Katganistan
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Katganistan » Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:10 pm

Dazchan wrote:
Purpelia wrote:I am not sure what world you live in where teachers have any sort of authority. They are at best laughed at behind their back. At best.
You have to give people the tools they need to do their job with the skills they do have, not the ones most humans don't.

I’m a teacher. I’ve been teaching for 14 years. I was a volunteer teachers aide, student teacher and volunteer youth worker prior to that. I have never once, in the course of any of those roles, needed to use physical force to maintain control and discipline with the children I’ve been working with.
You’re literally calling for us to have a tool that we don’t want or need, claiming that it will help us do our job, despite evidence that it will have the opposite effect. I’m not the first teacher in this thread to tell you that. This is a good example of the major problem in education today - teachers are ignored in favour of armchair experts.

And bullies.

Katganistan
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Katganistan » Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:13 pm

Ghost Land wrote:
Purpelia wrote:If the problem maker is physically removed from the other children he can no longer bother them.

That can also be accomplished by sending the problematic child out in the hallway or to the principal's office for the time being.

Collective punishment works because it makes all the others in the collective collectively pissed at the guy that's guilty to the point where they than bully him into line.

That is literally vigilante-justice-style bullying, and that's another reason AGAINST collective punishment. Do you want kids to be, as you even admit, "bullying" each other for any reason?

It doesn't work that way.
Teacher tried it on my class when I was in middle school.
We tortured the teacher until she went out on leave.

The Free Joy State
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Jan 05, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The Free Joy State » Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:29 pm

Ors Might wrote:I live in a world where the authority of my teachers was respected enough to when they threatened to call the office and our parents if we kept acting like shitheads, we knew they weren’t fucking around. What world do you live in where teachers are so incompetent and undisciplined that they can’t handle a special needs kid without grabbing them?

A poor area where kids don't give a shit what the office or their parents think?

I've worked in disadvantaged areas. Children weren't grabbed. Physical punishment is illegal in schools in this country.

Discipline was managed just fine.

As others have said, any teacher who "needs" to hit or grab a child to make them listen is ineffectual of enforcing discipline and, IMO, such people shouldn't work with children.
Katganistan wrote:
Ghost Land wrote:That can also be accomplished by sending the problematic child out in the hallway or to the principal's office for the time being.

That is literally vigilante-justice-style bullying, and that's another reason AGAINST collective punishment. Do you want kids to be, as you even admit, "bullying" each other for any reason?

Yeah, I remember an instance of collective punishment at my high school.

It united the whole class against the teacher, not the people that caused the whole class to be detained. In the end, the teacher gave in, and allowed anyone who promised they were innocent go home; the whole class left.
Last edited by The Free Joy State on Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:35 pm, edited 4 times in total.
"If there's a book that you want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it." - Toni Morrison

My nation does not represent my beliefs or politics.

Purpelia
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 19, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:11 pm

Necroghastia wrote:Where is the evidence that the child in this incident was bothering other students? As has been pointed out, this was during lunch and the substitute was fussing over how he was sitting.

Those are all nice to have. But barring them simple obedience is a good enough substitute. Our societies are full of high functioning sociopaths, individuals who are literally physically incapable of empathy and yet function just fine because they have learned that societies rules are to be obeyed even if you don't and can't understand why.

In my experience, it only caused ill will towards the one who decided that everyone should be punished for what one person did, because that's not fair.
And I can already see the argument that "LiFe'S nOt FaIr" coming, to which I say: So what? Doesn't mean we can't do our best to make things fair.
Exactly. It either causes everyone to gang up on the "offender" and bully them strait or everyone to gang up on the one meeting out the punishment and side with the "offender". Either way you get a very undesirable outcome.

Necroghastia wrote:And what you are advocating for is fear. Not authority derived from respect and good reasoning, but punishing people with no regard for circumstances or their own well-being. Plain and simple classic fear tactics. Disgusting.

Not fear, just practicality. There is no reason to permit one individual to ruin the education of others simply because you are too empathetic and frankly squeamish to let some kids fall through the cracks and have their lives ruined. Everyone deserves a chance at successes. Those that reject that chance should be thrown aside and left to rot.

Salandriagado wrote:By raw force of personality and applying rules consistently, mostly. There are other methods, but that one works pretty well.

A teacher with a strong personality as well. Yea... I am not sure where you find these people. In my experience teachers are individuals that couldn't get a real job in their chosen field so they end up teaching in school.

Salandriagado wrote:This is simply untrue. Kindly stop talking about things that you clearly know nothing about.

I went to school. If you think teachers have authority, or hell that teachers are for the most part not the weak and pointless underbelly of the professional world than you are wrong. I mean sure, you get the occasional snowflake that is there voluntarily. But for the most part he who does not know teaches is very much true. And teaching jobs are where dreams of professional success come to die.
Purpelia does not reflect my actual world views. In fact, the vast majority of Purpelian cannon is meant to shock and thus deliberately insane. I just like playing with the idea of a country of madmen utterly convinced that everyone else are the barbarians. So play along or not but don't ever think it's for real.

The above post contains hyperbole, metaphoric language, embellishment and exaggeration. It may also include badly translated figures of speech and misused idioms. Analyze accordingly.

Geneviev
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 03, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Geneviev » Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:30 pm

Purpelia wrote:
Necroghastia wrote:Where is the evidence that the child in this incident was bothering other students? As has been pointed out, this was during lunch and the substitute was fussing over how he was sitting.

I went to school. If you think teachers have authority, or hell that teachers are for the most part not the weak and pointless underbelly of the professional world than you are wrong. I mean sure, you get the occasional snowflake that is there voluntarily. But for the most part he who does not know teaches is very much true. And teaching jobs are where dreams of professional success come to die.

I still go to school, and that's not true. Every one of my teachers are excellent, they are there voluntarily, they know their subjects, and they are anything but weak. So teachers definitely have authority. I don't know where they don't.
"Above all, keep loving one another earnestly, since love covers a multitude of sins." 1 Peter 4:8

Page
Post Marshal

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Page » Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:48 am

The age of majority will always be arbitrary whether it's 21, 18, or younger and there will always be the inherent absurdity in that one's rights and responsibilities can change overnight when they're x years and 364 days old. We have to draw these arbitrary lines somewhere though, but we could at least be consistent.

It seems obvious to me that rights and responsibilities should increase proportionally, which is absolutely not the case in America. We never decide that a particular 8 year old is mature enough to drive as if they were an adult, or vote as if they were an adult, or drink, or work. Why then should a child be treated like an adult when it comes to crime? It's not proportional. It's not fair to have responsibilities without rights, and it doesn't make sense. We have abundant knowledge about developmental psychology, we know that the brain takes many years for things like empathy and impulse control to develop.

And how low do you want to go? Should we handcuff and arrest a 4 year old who hits someone? Should they stand trial? If you say yes, you're out of your mind, but 8 is not much better than 4.
Anarcho-Communist Against: Bolsheviks, Fascists, TERFs, Putin, Autocrats, Conservatives, Ancaps, Bourgeoisie, Bigots, Liberals, Maoists

I don't believe in kink-shaming unless your kink is submitting to the state.

Ghost Land
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 14, 2014
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Ghost Land » Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:49 am

Katganistan wrote:

Right; I was just going along with Purpelia's line of reasoning. Either way, collective punishment backfires against someone.
Forum account/puppet of 60s Music.
Originally joined 24 April 2012.
All lives matter. Race, age, and gender are unimportant.
Me OOC
Awesome/Funny Quotes
Right-wing libertarian
This nation reflects the OPPOSITE of my views.
Pro: Donald Trump, tougher border laws, 1st/2nd Amendments, benevolent dictators, libertarianism, capitalism
Anti: Democratic Party, The Clintons, Joe Biden, Nancy Pelosi, abortion, gun control, #MeToo, communism, racism and racial nationalism, affirmative action, SJWs

Nobel Hobos 2
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 04, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Nobel Hobos 2 » Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:12 am

Page wrote:The age of majority will always be arbitrary whether it's 21, 18, or younger and there will always be the inherent absurdity in that one's rights and responsibilities can change overnight when they're x years and 364 days old. We have to draw these arbitrary lines somewhere though, but we could at least be consistent.

It seems obvious to me that rights and responsibilities should increase proportionally, which is absolutely not the case in America. We never decide that a particular 8 year old is mature enough to drive as if they were an adult, or vote as if they were an adult, or drink, or work. Why then should a child be treated like an adult when it comes to crime? It's not proportional. It's not fair to have responsibilities without rights, and it doesn't make sense. We have abundant knowledge about developmental psychology, we know that the brain takes many years for things like empathy and impulse control to develop.

And how low do you want to go? Should we handcuff and arrest a 4 year old who hits someone? Should they stand trial? If you say yes, you're out of your mind, but 8 is not much better than 4.

Privileges and responsibilities do not come in pairs. Even if the draft applied to boys and girls equally, it would not be a "fair trade" for getting the vote, for instance. Even so, there is something to your "increasing proportionally" idea and I think it could work if more of the rights commonly denied to children were formalized, and granted one by one over a decade or so. Responsibilities too, though I know there will be a popular sentiment to tie each new right to a new responsibility in a way that usually won't make sense.

Parents having full control over the initiation of rights is hard to do away with. It's inescapably necessary early on (who else is going to grab the child before they run into traffic?) but it goes wrong in many ways. Some parents lose authority, some are too permissive too early, some are too controlling too late. Perhaps what is needed is a kind of arbitrator: parents wanting to grant a freedom early would have to apply, while teenagers wanting a freedom which hasn't been granted by the standard age, could apply for a "court order". And not the full legal process, the arbitrators would be child psychologists rather than lawyers.
I report offenses if and only if they are crimes.
No footwear industry: citizens cannot afford new shoes.
High rate of Nobel prizes and other academic achievements.

Purpelia
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:18 am

Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:
Page wrote:The age of majority will always be arbitrary whether it's 21, 18, or younger and there will always be the inherent absurdity in that one's rights and responsibilities can change overnight when they're x years and 364 days old. We have to draw these arbitrary lines somewhere though, but we could at least be consistent.

Privileges and responsibilities do not come in pairs. Even if the draft applied to boys and girls equally, it would not be a "fair trade" for getting the vote, for instance. Even so, there is something to your "increasing proportionally" idea and I think it could work if more of the rights commonly denied to children were formalized, and granted one by one over a decade or so. Responsibilities too, though I know there will be a popular sentiment to tie each new right to a new responsibility in a way that usually won't make sense.

Parents having full control over the initiation of rights is hard to do away with. It's inescapably necessary early on (who else is going to grab the child before they run into traffic?) but it goes wrong in many ways. Some parents lose authority, some are too permissive too early, some are too controlling too late. Perhaps what is needed is a kind of arbitrator: parents wanting to grant a freedom early would have to apply, while teenagers wanting a freedom which hasn't been granted by the standard age, could apply for a "court order". And not the full legal process, the arbitrators would be child psychologists rather than lawyers.

That sounds horrible. The state has already penetrated far too deeply into family relations. The last thing we need is even more of that.
Purpelia does not reflect my actual world views. In fact, the vast majority of Purpelian cannon is meant to shock and thus deliberately insane. I just like playing with the idea of a country of madmen utterly convinced that everyone else are the barbarians. So play along or not but don't ever think it's for real.

The above post contains hyperbole, metaphoric language, embellishment and exaggeration. It may also include badly translated figures of speech and misused idioms. Analyze accordingly.

Nobel Hobos 2
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 04, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Nobel Hobos 2 » Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:25 am

Children getting equal rights to their developmental peers is "horrible" apparently.

Some people just hate children. It's mostly jealousy imo. They should stay the hell away from children and in particular, don't produce children of their own.
I report offenses if and only if they are crimes.
No footwear industry: citizens cannot afford new shoes.
High rate of Nobel prizes and other academic achievements.

SatoSere
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby SatoSere » Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:39 am

Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:Children getting equal rights to their developmental peers is "horrible" apparently.

Some people just hate children. It's mostly jealousy imo. They should stay the hell away from children and in particular, don't produce children of their own.

This right here. I have a burning passionate eternal hatred towards child abusers because childhood is when a person is the most fragile. And the thing is, there's a disgusting amount of advocates of child abuse in this site. Not gonna mention their names because trollnaming is against the rules.

But yeah, I believe we should strengthen the power of CPS but not to KGB levels. I also think that instead of using an arbitrary number for legal consequences, how about an arbitrary formula instead?

The Free Joy State
Senior Issues Editor

Ex-Nation

Postby The Free Joy State » Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:53 am

Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:

Unfortunately, the children that kind of arbitration would be most useful for -- those raised in highly authoritarian families and families in closed groups -- are the children least likely to ever hear it existed, and so be least likely to be able to avail themselves of the resource.

That's not to say children should not have human rights to bodily integrity, choice over medical treatment (when they are old enough to be competent to understand; and that they should be protected from harmful ramifications of parental choices when they are not), choice of religion, and so on. They should.

On the subject of increasing proportionality, that's how it could work criminally, too. No potentially scarring actions should be brought against any minor (even one of the technical age of criminal responsibility) before an expert panel (with experience in child development, biology, child and clinical psychology and criminology) can show that they have the level mental and emotional development to intentionally commit a crime, possess the full knowledge of right and wrong, are capable of understanding of what the effects of their actions are likely to be.

In the UK, there's an assessment that takes in a young offender's home circumstances, any previous police background, and information from children's services before deciding whether to prosecute or go to other measures (including school disciplinary measures and restorative measures).

This kind of assessment period would be a good time to add an assessment period to work out if the child is developmentally capable of committing a crime at all (if they're not, measures such as counselling, or familial intervention or treatment for an underlying medical cause -- depending on the cause identified -- might be appropriate, on a case-by-case basis).
Last edited by The Free Joy State on Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
"If there's a book that you want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it." - Toni Morrison

Purpelia
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:54 am

Nobel Hobos 2 wrote:Children getting equal rights to their developmental peers is "horrible" apparently.

Listen. Parenting is something that should be done by parents. Not by the state. Yes the state needs to step in to ensure children aren't maimed, raped, murdered or otherwise abused. But that's it. If anything the state should provide means to educate and enable parents to do their job instead of replacing them.
Last edited by Purpelia on Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

The Emerald Legion
Postmaster-General

Father Knows Best State

Postby The Emerald Legion » Fri Aug 14, 2020 5:33 am

The Free Joy State wrote:I've worked in disadvantaged areas. Children weren't grabbed. Physical punishment is illegal in schools in this country.

As others have said, any teacher who "needs" to hit or grab a child to make them listen is ineffectual of enforcing discipline and, IMO, such people shouldn't work with children.

I never said Children were grabbed. No, instead they just get, at worst, shouted at. Which even that is frowned on.

And so you get children literally walking out of class to go do whatever they feel like. Or destroying entire classrooms. Or any number of other stupid things that could be avoided if you just physically stop them.

Borderlands of Rojava
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 27, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Borderlands of Rojava » Fri Aug 14, 2020 5:53 am

SatoSere wrote:
You're simply incorrect.

Jotaro Kujo probably, and every other 17 year old anime protagonist.
Leftist, commie and Antifa Guy. Democratic Confederalist, Anti-racist

"The devil is out there. Hiding behind every corner and in every nook and cranny. In all of the dives, all over the city. Before you lays an entire world of enemies, and at day's end when the chips are down, we're a society of strangers. You cant walk by someone on the street anymore without crossing the road to get away from their stare. Welcome to the Twilight Zone. The land of plague and shadow. Nothing innocent survives this world. If it can't corrupt you, it'll kill you."

The Free Joy State
Senior Issues Editor

Ex-Nation

Postby The Free Joy State » Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:07 am

The Free Joy State wrote:I've worked in disadvantaged areas. Children weren't grabbed. Physical punishment is illegal in schools in this country.

I never said Children were grabbed. No, instead they just get, at worst, shouted at. Which even that is frowned on.

And so you get children literally walking out of class to go do whatever they feel like. Or destroying entire classrooms. Or any number of other stupid things that could be avoided if you just physically stop them.

Not in any classroom I've ever worked in.

All competent teachers and classroom workers of my experience can gain the respect of a class and they don't need to hit, or grab a child, and they rarely need to raise their voice.

Oddly enough, I did observe the behaviour you describe once -- only once -- back when I was at school; in the classroom of one of these incredibly strict teachers who shouted as a form of communication. Her classroom control was atrocious. I never saw it when I was working.
Last edited by The Free Joy State on Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:15 am, edited 4 times in total.

Lanoraie II
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 01, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Lanoraie II » Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:25 am

In most states and countries there's an age of.....the word is failing me, but basically the minimum age requirement that someone can be arrested. Some places, like Florida (figures), have none.

Personally as someone involved in LEO work, there is no excuse for arresting an 8 year old, much less charging one. In my opinion, no child under, say, 13 should be able to be arrested, and none under 20 should be forced to carry out sentences longer than however many years away they are from 20.

The Free Joy State wrote:

Not in any classroom I've ever worked in.

All competent teachers and classroom workers of my experience can gain the respect of a class and they don't need to hit, or grab a child, and they rarely need to raise their voice.

Oddly enough, I did observe the behaviour you describe once -- only once -- back when I was at school; in the classroom of one of these incredibly strict teachers who shouted as a form of communication. Her classroom control was atrocious. I never saw it when I was working.

Physical "discipline" (read as: abuse) is always a failure on the authority's part. When I was growing up, the kids who acted out the most (and the ones who acted like traumatized, obedient drones) were the ones who were beaten on the regular. This is more than anecdotal however, this is historically the result one can expect from children in dysfunctional, abusive households; either acting like little hellspawn or desperately trying to avoid getting beaten so they act like angels. Rarely ever any middle ground. Some of the obedient angels are raised in loving households, but their mode of operation is noticeably different. They act appropriately because they were taught to do so, not out of fear of punishment or pain.
Recovering alt-righter. Socialist. If you can't accurately describe socialist rhetoric and ideology, you don't get to have a voice in political discussions.

Lanoraie II
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 01, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Lanoraie II » Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:26 am

Purpelia wrote:

Listen. Parenting is something that should be done by parents. Not by the state. Yes the state needs to step in to ensure children aren't maimed, raped, murdered or otherwise abused. But that's it. If anything the state should provide means to educate and enable parents to do their job instead of replacing them.

Wrong. You don't have the right to reproduce or take care of someone else if you are not fit for the job. You don't own your children and aren't owed the presence of a child. If you can't meet required standards, well that's just too damn bad, isn't it? So many children's lives would be saved if parental licenses were a thing.
Recovering alt-righter. Socialist. If you can't accurately describe socialist rhetoric and ideology, you don't get to have a voice in political discussions.

Geneviev
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 03, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Geneviev » Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:39 am

I've never seen anyone do anything like that, other than the destroying classrooms, although that is a completely different case. None of those things happen because children aren't physically restrained. If they do happen, there's always a different reason for it.
"Above all, keep loving one another earnestly, since love covers a multitude of sins." 1 Peter 4:8

The Free Joy State
Senior Issues Editor

Ex-Nation

Postby The Free Joy State » Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:45 am

Lanoraie II wrote:
The Free Joy State wrote:Not in any classroom I've ever worked in.

Physical "discipline" (read as: abuse) is always a failure on the authority's part.

It is. It demonstrates a loss of control, not regaining it. It teaches nothing but that an act of violence is acceptable, as long as you're bigger than the other party and want to get your way.

When I was growing up, the kids who acted out the most (and the ones who acted like traumatized, obedient drones) were the ones who were beaten on the regular. This is more than anecdotal however, this is historically the result one can expect from children in dysfunctional, abusive households; either acting like little hellspawn or desperately trying to avoid getting beaten so they act like angels. Rarely ever any middle ground. Some of the obedient angels are raised in loving households, but their mode of operation is noticeably different. They act appropriately because they were taught to do so, not out of fear of punishment or pain.

Yes, back when I thought this was a child lashing out in a moment (rather than a child with known SEND who was treated unprofessionally by a teacher who then accelerated the situation), abuse was one of the possible causes the research pointed to, that may lead to aggressive behaviour in young children.

It's the root causes that need correct management and (where possible and appropriate) ameliorating to help manage aggressive childhood behaviour.
Last edited by The Free Joy State on Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:49 am, edited 2 times in total.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General