NATION

PASSWORD

Official First Contact In 2021! How Would You React?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Salus Maior
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 16, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Salus Maior » Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:42 pm

Rusozak wrote:
And centuries ago they said it was impossible for man to fly. Our understanding of physics at this point in time is not necessarily the absolute truth of the universe.

MGTOWia wrote:
Impossible according to our present knowledge of physics.

In the 19th century it was impossible for a bumblebee to fly.

Alcala-Cordel wrote:We've said that hundreds of times before. It's impossible to go FTL directly, but the thing about physics is there's just about always a way to bend the rules. We just haven't figured how to bend this one.

Didn't realize NSG was full of Physics Doctorates. Guess people who actually work in the field literally just don't know what they're talking about, because nothing can overcome the human spiritTM and apparently that's the absolute rule in the universe.
Last edited by Salus Maior on Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Traditionalist Catholic, Constitutional Monarchist, Habsburg Nostalgic, Distributist, Disillusioned Millennial.

"In any case we clearly see....That some opportune remedy must be found quickly for the misery and wretchedness pressing so unjustly on the majority of the working class...it has come to pass that working men have been surrendered, isolated and helpless, to the hardheartedness of employers and the greed of unchecked competition." -Pope Leo XIII, Rerum Novarum

Valentine Z
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 08, 2015
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Valentine Z » Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:43 pm

Maybe impossible now, but hey, who's to say that it's impossible forever? Maybe the current physical models imply that FTL is impossible, but we are always finding new stuff (to get around that)!

If we cannot travel FTL by any manner at all, even by space warps, then that's tough luck, I guess. It's worth a shot, however, to find out more beyond our understanding, and we have not unlocked every secrets of the universe just yet.

To infinity and beyond - the final frontier.

But I digress! I'm just here to meet friendly aliens. ♥
Last edited by Valentine Z on Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Val's Stuff. ♡ ^_^ ♡ For You
If you are reading my sig, I want you to have the best day ever ! You are worth it, do not let anyone get you down !
Glory to De Geweldige Sierlijke Katachtige Utopia en Zijne Autonome Machten ov Valentine Z !
(✿◠‿◠) ☆ \(^_^)/ ☆

Issues Thread Photography Stuff Project: Save F7. Stats Analysis

The Sixty! Valentian Stories! Gwen's Adventures!

• Never trouble trouble until trouble troubles you.
• World Map is a cat playing with Australia.
Let Fate sort it out.

Rusozak
Negotiator

Founded: Jun 14, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Rusozak » Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:44 pm

Salus Maior wrote:
Rusozak wrote:
And centuries ago they said it was impossible for man to fly. Our understanding of physics at this point in time is not necessarily the absolute truth of the universe.

MGTOWia wrote:

Alcala-Cordel wrote:We've said that hundreds of times before. It's impossible to go FTL directly, but the thing about physics is there's just about always a way to bend the rules. We just haven't figured how to bend this one.

Didn't realize NSG was full of Physics Doctorates. Guess people who actually work in the field literally just don't know what they're talking about, because nothing can overcome the human spiritTM.

So you argue modern physicists are somehow all-knowing? That we've learned all there is to learn, and nothing can ever surpass the knowledge of the universe we presently have?
NOTE: This nation's government style, policies, and opinions in roleplay or forum 7 does not represent my true beliefs. It is purely for the enjoyment of the game.

Cetacea
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 27, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Cetacea » Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:45 pm

I’d pray that they don’t go to the USA where they will either be shot or accosted by some lunatic cult

Salus Maior
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Salus Maior » Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:47 pm

Rusozak wrote:
So you argue modern physicists are somehow all-knowing? That we've learned all there is to learn, and nothing can ever surpass the knowledge of the universe we presently have?

No, I'm just not a science-denier.

Scientists have looked into it, and it can't actually happen.

Look, I was skeptical too, and I used a lot of the same arguments most of you people did. But actually looking into it, it's just not in the cards.
Traditionalist Catholic, Constitutional Monarchist, Habsburg Nostalgic, Distributist, Disillusioned Millennial.

"In any case we clearly see....That some opportune remedy must be found quickly for the misery and wretchedness pressing so unjustly on the majority of the working class...it has come to pass that working men have been surrendered, isolated and helpless, to the hardheartedness of employers and the greed of unchecked competition." -Pope Leo XIII, Rerum Novarum

Alcala-Cordel
Senator

Founded: Dec 16, 2019

Postby Alcala-Cordel » Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:47 pm

Salus Maior wrote:
Rusozak wrote:

MGTOWia wrote:

Didn't realize NSG was full of Physics Doctorates. Guess people who actually work in the field literally just don't know what they're talking about, because nothing can overcome the human spiritTM and apparently that's the absolute rule in the universe.

Maybe we'll never know how to bend this law of physics, but society's not at its pinnacle and we've made "impossible" advances many times before. I don't need a Ph.D in physics to know that, I need a basic understanding of history.

It's a fact that we can't travel FTL, but there is always another way.
Last edited by Alcala-Cordel on Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FROM THE RIVER TO THE SEA

Salus Maior
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Salus Maior » Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:50 pm

Alcala-Cordel wrote:Maybe we'll never know how to bend this law of physics, but society's not at its pinnacle and we've made "impossible" advances many times before. I don't need a Ph.D in physics to know that, I need a basic understanding of history.

The difference between flight and FTL is that we've always known things can fly. Everyone has always known birds to exist. We can demonstrate flying things really easily, just make a paper airplane.

FTL is something completely different.

The Alma Mater
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: May 23, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby The Alma Mater » Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:54 pm

Salus Maior wrote:
Rusozak wrote:

No, I'm just not a science-denier.

Scientists have looked into it, and it can't actually happen.

Except that's not what they are saying.
Sure, we can indeed not accellerate a spaceshuttle to exceed the speed of light, but that does not mean that FTL travel is impossible - just that one form is. We already know that information can be transmitted instantaneous through quantum entanglement for instance (though, sadly, that cannot actually be used for FTL communication).

But, as said - does it matter ? Aliens are alien. They can be perfectly content with travelling millenia.
Last edited by The Alma Mater on Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Getting an education was a bit like a communicable sexual disease.
It made you unsuitable for a lot of jobs and then you had the urge to pass it on.
- Terry Pratchett, Hogfather

Big Jim P
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Big Jim P » Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:54 pm

Cetacea wrote:I’d pray that they don’t go to the USA where they will either be shot or accosted by some lunatic cult

Or they taste like chicken. 8) :D
Hail Satan!
Happily married to Roan Cara, The first RL NS marriage, and Pope Joan is my Father-in-law.
I edit my posts to fix typos.

Socio Polor
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 28, 2015

Postby Socio Polor » Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:55 pm

Salus Maior wrote:Probably wouldn't care, because it's impossible.

FTL travel is scientifically impossible. And so, even if extraterrestrial civilizations do exist somewhere, there's no actual way for them to reach here.

What if FTL travel isn't how they get here, heard of wormholes?

Big Jim P
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Big Jim P » Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:56 pm

Salus Maior wrote:
Alcala-Cordel wrote:Maybe we'll never know how to bend this law of physics, but society's not at its pinnacle and we've made "impossible" advances many times before. I don't need a Ph.D in physics to know that, I need a basic understanding of history.

The difference between flight and FTL is that we've always known things can fly. Everyone has always known birds to exist. We can demonstrate flying things really easily, just make a paper airplane.

Neutrinos move faster than light as well as gravity effects and quantum entanglement.
Hail Satan!
Happily married to Roan Cara, The first RL NS marriage, and Pope Joan is my Father-in-law.
I edit my posts to fix typos.

Alcala-Cordel
Senator

Postby Alcala-Cordel » Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:56 pm

Salus Maior wrote:

Given or extremely limited understanding of space and time, maybe we just haven't discovered it yet.

Just look at all those unnatural elements on the periodic table. Many of those are so unstable they'll collapse in fractions of a second. That could never be found in nature, and until we got a better understanding of the elements we had no idea these things even existed, much less how to create them.

Salus Maior
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Salus Maior » Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:57 pm

Alcala-Cordel wrote:
Salus Maior wrote:

Given or extremely limited understanding of space and time, maybe we just haven't discovered it yet.

Just look at all those unnatural elements on the periodic table. Many of those are so unstable they'll collapse in fractions of a second. That could never be found in nature, and until we got a better understanding of the elements we had no idea these things even existed, much less how to create them.

*shrug* Bring it up to a Physicist sometime.

Alcala-Cordel
Senator

Postby Alcala-Cordel » Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:59 pm

Salus Maior wrote:
Alcala-Cordel wrote:Given or extremely limited understanding of space and time, maybe we just haven't discovered it yet.

*shrug* Bring it up to a Physicist sometime.

Maybe I will if I see one around, they know they haven't discovered everything.

Socio Polor
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 28, 2015

Postby Socio Polor » Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:03 pm

As someone who's about to study physics I will tell u guys that they're many things in physics that were once thought impossible, until physicists were proven wrong. Black Holes were once thought to be impossible. Now recently we captured a photo of one, consider the possibilities

Twicetagram and JYPe
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 27, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Twicetagram and JYPe » Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:19 pm

Putting science and physics aside, imagine the awkwardness and silence when we and the aliens meet for the first time before everyone goes frantically scrambling back to their homes.
johnathan

Major-Tom
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 09, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Major-Tom » Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:22 pm

Please, just take me with you.

Organized States
Powerbroker

Founded: Apr 26, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Organized States » Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:30 pm

LET'S KILL THEM AND TAKE THEIR SHIT!
Thank God for OS!- Deian
"In the old days, the navigators used magic to make themselves strong, but now, nothing; they just pray. Before they leave and at sea, they pray. But I, I make myself strong by thinking—just by thinking! I make myself strong because I despise cowardice. Too many men are afraid of the sea. But I am a navigator."-Mau Piailug
"I regret that I have only one life to give to my island." -Ricardo Bordallo, 2nd Governor of Guam
"Both are voyages of exploration. Hōkūle‘a is in the past, Columbia is in the future." -Colonel Charles L. Veach, USAF, Astronaut and Navigation Enthusiast

Pacific Islander-American (proud member of the 0.5%), Officer to be

New haven america
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 08, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby New haven america » Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:32 pm

Salus Maior wrote:
Rusozak wrote:

MGTOWia wrote:

I mean, if you look at modern science starting around Galileo (So ~400-500 years) a lot of it is made up of people having wild ideas, getting denied and ridiculed by the governing science body at large, and then actually being proven correct during or after their lifetime.

Heliocentrism, how disease spreads, human reproduction, continental drift and tectonic plates, artificial flight, etc... just to name a few were all thought to be ludicrous ideas made up by madmen and idiots who had no idea what they were talking about, when in reality they were right all along.

So yes, accelerating an object to go faster than the speed of light as well as not dealing with relativity is impossible, no one is arguing against that, but that doesn't mean FTL travel is impossible because we haven't even tried yet. As proven by most sci-fi shows, books, and movie, there's more than 1 way to go have FTL travel. (Wormholes are a popular way and tend to be used in most sci-fi works that lean on realism)
Last edited by New haven america on Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:41 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Human of the male variety
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2024

That's all folks~

MGTOWia
Envoy

Founded: Nov 22, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby MGTOWia » Sat Jul 18, 2020 12:08 am

New haven america wrote:
Salus Maior wrote:

I mean, if you look at modern science starting around Galileo (So ~400-500 years) a lot of it is made up of people having wild ideas, getting denied and ridiculed by the governing science body at large, and then actually being proven correct during or after their lifetime.

Heliocentrism, how disease spreads, human reproduction, continental drift and tectonic plates, artificial flight, etc... just to name a few were all thought to be ludicrous ideas made up by madmen and idiots who had no idea what they were talking about, when in reality they were right all along.

So yes, accelerating an object to go faster than the speed of light as well as not dealing with relativity is impossible, no one is arguing against that, but that doesn't mean FTL travel is impossible because we haven't even tried yet. As proven by most sci-fi shows, books, and movie, there's more than 1 way to go have FTL travel. (Wormholes are a popular way and tend to be used in most sci-fi works that lean on realism)

Two words: Alcubierre Drive.
"The more money you make, the more women you should avoid." -- YouTube user Anubis_X64

"Wokeness is a disease. MGTOW is the cure."

"Love: (n) the mechanism the human species has evolved to keep males and females from killing each other long enough to produce and raise offspring."

Stellar Colonies
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 27, 2017

Postby Stellar Colonies » Sat Jul 18, 2020 12:24 am

FTL isn't necessary.

They could fire a shower of little packets of technology at the Asteroid or Kuiper Belts, which on arrival* would manufacture everything needed from the resources present there. Ships, fleshy (or not) aliens, trinkets for the native rock lichen, etc. etc. That would be better for them anyway, because they would have already securely established themselves in our star system far enough from Earth to keep us from interfering with their preparations, and then take their sweet time moving inwards towards Earth.

Any ships we have landing on the White House lawn would be made from good ol' Sol system stuff.

*Slowing back down would be...difficult however.
Last edited by Stellar Colonies on Sat Jul 18, 2020 12:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
Floofybit wrote:Your desired society should be one where you are submissive and controlled
Primitive Communism wrote:What bodily autonomy do men need?
Techocracy101010 wrote:If she goes on a rampage those saggy wonders are as deadly as nunchucks
Parmistan wrote:It's not ALWAYS acceptable when we do it, but it's MORE acceptable when we do it.
Theodorable wrote:Jihad will win.
Distruzio wrote:All marriage outside the Church is gay marriage.
Khardsland wrote:Terrorism in its original definition is a good thing.
I try to be objective, but I do have some biases.

North Californian.
Stellar Colonies is a loose galactic confederacy.

The Confederacy & the WA.

Add 1200 years.

Punished UMN
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 05, 2020
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Punished UMN » Sat Jul 18, 2020 12:47 am

Instruct the government to delete all copies of the movie species before the aliens can discover just how much we we want to fuck them
Eastern Orthodox Christian. Purgatorial universalist.
Ascended beyond politics, now metapolitics is my best friend. Proud member of the Napoleon Bonaparte fandom.
I have borderline personality disorder, if I overreact to something, try to approach me after the fact and I'll apologize.
The political compass is like hell: if you find yourself on it, keep going.
Pro: The fundamental dignitas of the human spirit as expressed through its self-actualization in theosis. Anti: Faustian-Demonic Space Anarcho-Capitalism with Italo-Futurist Characteristics

Stellar Colonies
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 27, 2017

Postby Stellar Colonies » Sat Jul 18, 2020 12:53 am

Punished UMN wrote:Instruct the government to delete all copies of the movie species before the aliens can discover just how much we we want to fuck them

Well, that's two or three minutes of Wiki reading which I desperately want to be erased from my memory.

And there are three sequels? Jesus Christ.
Last edited by Stellar Colonies on Sat Jul 18, 2020 12:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Floofybit wrote:Your desired society should be one where you are submissive and controlled
Primitive Communism wrote:What bodily autonomy do men need?
Techocracy101010 wrote:If she goes on a rampage those saggy wonders are as deadly as nunchucks
Parmistan wrote:It's not ALWAYS acceptable when we do it, but it's MORE acceptable when we do it.
Theodorable wrote:Jihad will win.
Distruzio wrote:All marriage outside the Church is gay marriage.
Khardsland wrote:Terrorism in its original definition is a good thing.
I try to be objective, but I do have some biases.

North Californian.
Stellar Colonies is a loose galactic confederacy.

The Confederacy & the WA.

Add 1200 years.

Nobel Hobos 2
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 04, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Nobel Hobos 2 » Sat Jul 18, 2020 1:05 am

Socio Polor wrote:Let's imagine for a moment...a hypothetical scenario. A scenario in which you found out that next year, 2021, will be the year that various extraterrestrial civilizations come to earth to make contact with us humans. When I say contact, I don't mean an invasion like scenario where ETs are coming to take over the planet and enslave or wipe out humankind. I speak of a scenario where multiple different ET civilizations (lets say well over two dozen of them) come to land their crafts in a public location in order to establish open peaceful contact with the human race for the purpose of meeting each other, we as humans finding out we aren't alone in the universe, sharing cultural knowledge, etc.

Let me see. How would I react if someone walked right into my house just because the door was open, and started garbling at me in a language I can't even guess let alone understand?

Earth is our home. And we have nowhere else, we can't split out the back door and call the police to deal with the intruders. Any ET's who landed without "knocking first" would be treated to a taste of what we humans do best!

Now if they take an orbit at a safe distance (say beyond the moon) and communicate peaceful intentions without using too many big words, and we spend a year or two getting to know each other ... obviously pitifully inadequate time for that, but we have to move on to trading art and culture future tech and Earth boys. Or girls of course, you can never tell what ET might be into.

Then we can meet somewhere, in orbit or perhaps on the Moon. Considering our planet is a festering sore of diseases compared to the inside of an ET starship, ET might think better of physically meeting us at all. "Just send the black ladyboys you owe us, in stasis with that machine we taught you to build. We'll disinfect them ourselves, then de-stasis them in the replica of Paris we built on the zoo planet ... they'll be well cared for."
I report offenses if and only if they are crimes.
No footwear industry: citizens cannot afford new shoes.
High rate of Nobel prizes and other academic achievements.

Nobel Hobos 2
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 04, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Nobel Hobos 2 » Sat Jul 18, 2020 1:22 am

Stellar Colonies wrote:
Punished UMN wrote:Instruct the government to delete all copies of the movie species before the aliens can discover just how much we we want to fuck them

Well, that's two or three minutes of Wiki reading which I desperately want to be erased from my memory.

And there are three sequels? Jesus Christ.

The worst movies always have sequels. "If at first you don't succeed ..."
MGTOWia wrote:Two words: Alcubierre Drive.

Huge fan. It requires insane amounts of power to go, then goes faster than light, and after an interstellar run releases so much energy it will blow away the stellar system it's going to. And of course itself.

"We come in peace! Hello? Anyone home?"
I report offenses if and only if they are crimes.
No footwear industry: citizens cannot afford new shoes.
High rate of Nobel prizes and other academic achievements.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General