NATION

PASSWORD

Washington & Jefferson Statue Get Pulled Down

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Aclion
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 12, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Aclion » Sat Jun 20, 2020 2:35 pm

The Lone Alliance wrote:This is why it's good to leave Confederate statues up, they serve as effective decoys to protect the better statues.

We should put up statues of all sorts of historically reviled figures for angry rioters to tear down whenever they feel cranky.

They'll be like statue pinatas.

So just set up a wackmole Hitler puppets and call it a day?
A popular Government, without popular information, or the means of acquiring it, is but a Prologue to a Farce or a Tragedy; or, perhaps both. - James Madison.

BurritoBowl
Secretary

Founded: May 24, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby BurritoBowl » Sat Jun 20, 2020 2:37 pm

The US is evil to an irredeemable degree, and the destruction of its symbols is objectively good and should be encouraged

Libertas Omnium Maximus
Diplomat

Founded: May 31, 2017
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Libertas Omnium Maximus » Sat Jun 20, 2020 2:39 pm

BurritoBowl wrote:The US is evil to an irredeemable degree, and the destruction of its symbols is objectively good and should be encouraged

Shoot. It looks like the Chinese have broken through their firewall.
The Republic of Libertas Omnium Maximus
(Representative Democracy; Established 1837)
The Litudinem Herald|NationStates Resume|Libertas Omnium Maximus Wiki

The Lone Alliance
Powerbroker

Founded: May 25, 2005
Left-Leaning College State

Postby The Lone Alliance » Sat Jun 20, 2020 2:44 pm

Aclion wrote:
The Lone Alliance wrote:This is why it's good to leave Confederate statues up, they serve as effective decoys to protect the better statues.

We should put up statues of all sorts of historically reviled figures for angry rioters to tear down whenever they feel cranky.

They'll be like statue pinatas.

So just set up a wackmole Hitler puppets and call it a day?

Exactly, you can even have little mallets beside it.

Since most of these people also hate Trump we can even put up a bunch of statues of Trumps with similar mallets, Trump will love it because there's statues of him, supporters of Trump will love it because there are statues of him, and the Trump haters will love it because now they can legally beat something that looks like Trump with a hammer.
"Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger." -Herman Goering
--------------
War is cruelty, and you cannot refine it; -William Tecumseh Sherman

Aeritai
Minister

Founded: Oct 25, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Aeritai » Sat Jun 20, 2020 2:48 pm

BurritoBowl wrote:The US is evil to an irredeemable degree, and the destruction of its symbols is objectively good and should be encouraged

Not everything in the US is evil there are some good things about the United States. As for destroying symbols I understand removing statues, but destroying other symbols like the American flag or war memorials? That's a big no from me.
Last edited by Aeritai on Sat Jun 20, 2020 2:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Just call me Aeri
IC: This is a fantasy medieval nation full of deer people... Yes you read that right, deer people
I am a Human Female

Ferretastan
Political Columnist

Founded: Jun 19, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Ferretastan » Sat Jun 20, 2020 2:52 pm

Rojava Free State wrote:Ngl thats pretty fucking stupid. If you destroy everything that has bad history behind it, you're just gonna get rid of most of history.

I 100% agree with you

Purpelia
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 19, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Sat Jun 20, 2020 3:05 pm

The Lone Alliance wrote:
The Reformed American Republic wrote:Exactly. They want a new nation based off the ideals of left wing sociologists and the like.

Do they not realize that would require a civil war that they would most certainly lose?

They are left wing fanatics that genuinely believe that the white race is evil, has a nation wide conspiracy to keep them down and owes them servitude to make them economically equal to compensate for it. There is quite a lot of things they are unable to realize.
Purpelia does not reflect my actual world views. In fact, the vast majority of Purpelian cannon is meant to shock and thus deliberately insane. I just like playing with the idea of a country of madmen utterly convinced that everyone else are the barbarians. So play along or not but don't ever think it's for real.

The above post contains hyperbole, metaphoric language, embellishment and exaggeration. It may also include badly translated figures of speech and misused idioms. Analyze accordingly.

Federal Republic Of America And The Cari
Spokesperson

Founded: Apr 23, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Federal Republic Of America And The Cari » Sat Jun 20, 2020 3:13 pm

Sundiata wrote:
Federal Republic Of America And The Cari wrote:Best way actually

On a serious note however,by pulling this shit they are not only destroying their cause,but they end up giving people such as white supremacists more leverage against BLM.
In other words,they played themselves.

Not really. White supremacists have a history of far more heinous activity. They're not a redeemable ideological faction.

Any racial supremacist,be it black,white, asian,or ethnic supremacists are irredeemable human beings who have gone too far down the rabbit hole.

Bear Stearns
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 02, 2018
Capitalizt

Postby Bear Stearns » Sat Jun 20, 2020 3:19 pm

Sundiata wrote:
Federal Republic Of America And The Cari wrote:Best way actually

On a serious note however,by pulling this shit they are not only destroying their cause,but they end up giving people such as white supremacists more leverage against BLM.
In other words,they played themselves.

Not really. White supremacists have a history of far more heinous activity. They're not a redeemable ideological faction.

same could be said of a myriad of far-left ideologies
The Bear Stearns Companies, Inc. is a New York-based global investment bank, securities trading and brokerage firm. Its main business areas are capital markets, investment banking, wealth management and global clearing services. Bear Stearns was founded as an equity trading house on May Day 1923 by Joseph Ainslie Bear, Robert B. Stearns and Harold C. Mayer with $500,000 in capital.
383 Madison Ave,
New York, NY 10017
Vince Vaughn

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity

Postby The Black Forrest » Sat Jun 20, 2020 3:53 pm

I really don’t understand people these days. We are supposed to evolve. How does erasing people from history solve anything? The removal of the confederate statues make sense as they were placed in rather racist times. Most were not about simple history. Most where about an agenda.

So what if Jefferson, Washington, and Grant owned slaves? They were products of their time. They had flaws. Just like we do today. Just like the BLM people, etc., etc.

Anyway. Not really supporting them on this.....
*I am a master proofreader after I click Submit.
* There is actually a War on Christmas. But Christmas started it, with it's unparalleled aggression against the Thanksgiving Holiday, and now Christmas has seized much Lebensraum in November, and are pushing into October. The rest of us seek to repel these invaders, and push them back to the status quo ante bellum Black Friday border. -Trotskylvania
* Silence Is Golden But Duct Tape Is Silver.
* I felt like Ayn Rand cornered me at a party, and three minutes in I found my first objection to what she was saying, but she kept talking without interruption for ten more days. - Max Barry talking about Atlas Shrugged

Senkaku
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Sep 01, 2012
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Senkaku » Sat Jun 20, 2020 3:58 pm

not the people who are angrier abt statues getting damaged than people of color getting killed lol
Biden-Santos Thought cadre

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Postby The Black Forrest » Sat Jun 20, 2020 4:01 pm

Senkaku wrote:not the people who are angrier abt statues getting damaged than people of color getting killed lol

Yes. Because people who think its bad statues are being destroyed are ok with black people getting killed by cops. LOL
Last edited by The Black Forrest on Sat Jun 20, 2020 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
* There is actually a War on Christmas. But Christmas started it, with it's unparalleled aggression against the Thanksgiving Holiday, and now Christmas has seized much Lebensraum in November, and are pushing into October. The rest of us seek to repel these invaders, and push them back to the status quo ante bellum Black Friday border. -Trotskylvania
* I felt like Ayn Rand cornered me at a party, and three minutes in I found my first objection to what she was saying, but she kept talking without interruption for ten more days. - Max Barry talking about Atlas Shrugged

Blakk Metal
Negotiator

Founded: Jun 07, 2012

Postby Blakk Metal » Sat Jun 20, 2020 4:04 pm

Thermodolia wrote:This shit is going to lead to a massive backslash

\
\\
\\\
\\\\
\\\\\
\\\\\\
\\\\\\\
\\\\\\\\
\\\\\\\\\
\\\\\\\\\\
\\\\\\\\\\\
\\\\\\\\\\\\
\\\\\\\\\\\\\
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
Last edited by Blakk Metal on Sat Jun 20, 2020 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Postby The Black Forrest » Sat Jun 20, 2020 4:05 pm

Blakk Metal wrote:

\
\\
\\\
\\\\
\\\\\
\\\\\\
\\\\\\\
\\\\\\\\
\\\\\\\\\
\\\\\\\\\\
\\\\\\\\\\\
\\\\\\\\\\\\
\\\\\\\\\\\\\
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

:blink:

Blakk Metal
Negotiator

Founded: Jun 07, 2012

Postby Blakk Metal » Sat Jun 20, 2020 4:06 pm

The Black Forrest wrote:
Blakk Metal wrote:\
\\
\\\
\\\\
\\\\\
\\\\\\
\\\\\\\
\\\\\\\\
\\\\\\\\\
\\\\\\\\\\
\\\\\\\\\\\
\\\\\\\\\\\\
\\\\\\\\\\\\\
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

:blink:

It's the massive backslash he was warning us about!

Hakons
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 14, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Hakons » Sat Jun 20, 2020 4:28 pm

From a Twitter thread, the Spanish Embassy announced they contacted federal, state, and local authorities after the vandalism of Serra and Cervantes.

We deeply regret the destruction of the statue of Saint Junípero Serra in San Francisco today, and would like to offer a reminder of his great efforts in support of indigenous communities. It is also with great regret that we receive the news of the damages inflicted upon the bust of Miguel de Cervantes, who was himself held as a slave in Algiers for 5 years, and whose literature serves as a call for freedom and equality. Defending the Spanish legacy in the U.S. is a priority of our foreign policy in this country, and we will continue to do so by intensifying our educational efforts in order for the reality of our shared history to be better known and understood. We are also expressing our deep concern regarding these attacks to federal, state, and local authorities, asking that the memory of our rich shared history be protected, always with the utmost respect for the debates currently taking place.

Negligent mayors are now letting this reach to the level of diplomatic harm.
“All elements of the national life must be made to drink in the Life which proceedeth from Him: legislation, political institutions, education, marriage and family life, capital and labour.” —Pope Leo XIII

Alt-Right Death Squads
Spokesperson

Founded: Oct 11, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Alt-Right Death Squads » Sat Jun 20, 2020 4:35 pm

Aeritai wrote:What is your opinion on this NSG was this a good move or no?
Trump said this would happen, Trump is once again correct.

There will be violence, the founding fathers are practically magical figures. You might as well have burned the Koran inside a Mosque. Point is, this problem is about to solve itself so I don't really think anything of it nor will my involvement need be required; I just find this all amusing and am enjoying the covid race riots from the sidelines.

Atheris
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 05, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Atheris » Sat Jun 20, 2020 4:36 pm

Blakk Metal wrote:

-snip-

Oh, ha, ha. That's not funny.

(it actually is, gj)
Last edited by Atheris on Sat Jun 20, 2020 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#FreeNSGRojava
Don't talk to Moderators. Don't associate with Moderators. Don't trust moderators. Moderators lie.
NEW VISAYAN ISLANDS SHOULD RESIGN! HOLD JANNIES ACCOUNTABLE!

Atheris
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 05, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Atheris » Sat Jun 20, 2020 4:39 pm

Kowani wrote:
Atheris wrote:...? Trump isn't a white supremacist...

He may not be a white supremacist, because I don’t think he’s intelligent enough for that, but he’s a racist.

Oh damn. "Not intelligent enough to be a white supremacist". That's a really fucking good one.
#FreeNSGRojava
Don't talk to Moderators. Don't associate with Moderators. Don't trust moderators. Moderators lie.
NEW VISAYAN ISLANDS SHOULD RESIGN! HOLD JANNIES ACCOUNTABLE!

Alt-Right Death Squads
Spokesperson

Founded: Oct 11, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Alt-Right Death Squads » Sat Jun 20, 2020 4:39 pm

Blakk Metal wrote:

\
\\
\\\
\\\\
The end-times are surely upon us, so saith the signs.

Spiritual Republic of Caryton
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 25, 2019
Moralistic Democracy

Postby Spiritual Republic of Caryton » Sat Jun 20, 2020 4:42 pm

They did this to the Brigham Young statue in BYU. Honestly, the people who do these things should /at least/ made to publicly clean up or repair the things that they destroyed.
The Spiritual Republic of Caryton
(CARYTON VIDEO)
A serene & puritan 80s-90s tech agrarian Christian fundamentalist nation with no separation between church and state. Wide prairies, fertile plains, archaic clothing, clean skies, lack of modern influence, universal prohibition, kind societies, and simple austere lives forge the Carytonic identity.
Music of Caryton: [8-29-22] Classic Carytonic Sing-Along Hymns

The Lone Alliance
Powerbroker

Founded: May 25, 2005
Left-Leaning College State

Postby The Lone Alliance » Sat Jun 20, 2020 4:42 pm

Senkaku wrote:not the people who are angrier abt statues getting damaged than people of color getting killed lol

Because seeing minorities acting stupid and violent is going to make cops less likely to want to kill them. :roll:

Yeah big brain moment there.
Last edited by The Lone Alliance on Sat Jun 20, 2020 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger." -Herman Goering
--------------
War is cruelty, and you cannot refine it; -William Tecumseh Sherman

Bruke
Powerbroker

Founded: Nov 21, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Bruke » Sat Jun 20, 2020 4:43 pm

Hakons wrote:From a Twitter thread, the Spanish Embassy announced they contacted federal, state, and local authorities after the vandalism of Serra and Cervantes.

We deeply regret the destruction of the statue of Saint Junípero Serra in San Francisco today, and would like to offer a reminder of his great efforts in support of indigenous communities. It is also with great regret that we receive the news of the damages inflicted upon the bust of Miguel de Cervantes, who was himself held as a slave in Algiers for 5 years, and whose literature serves as a call for freedom and equality. Defending the Spanish legacy in the U.S. is a priority of our foreign policy in this country, and we will continue to do so by intensifying our educational efforts in order for the reality of our shared history to be better known and understood. We are also expressing our deep concern regarding these attacks to federal, state, and local authorities, asking that the memory of our rich shared history be protected, always with the utmost respect for the debates currently taking place.

Negligent mayors are now letting this reach to the level of diplomatic harm.

To be fair, Trump letting the Lafayette Square situation get out of hand also caused diplomatic harm.

I hope history becoming a culture war issue doesn't lead to extreme politicization of history.

It was already political enough.

Vetalia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 23, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Vetalia » Sat Jun 20, 2020 4:44 pm

I wonder if "Amazing Grace" will be banned next. After all, the author committed the unforgivable sin of being a slave trader in his past.
Economic Left/Right: 0.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.05

Necroghastia
Forum Moderator

Founded: May 11, 2019
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Necroghastia » Sat Jun 20, 2020 4:45 pm

The Black Forrest wrote:I really don’t understand people these days. We are supposed to evolve. How does erasing people from history solve anything? The removal of the confederate statues make sense as they were placed in rather racist times. Most were not about simple history. Most where about an agenda.

So what if Jefferson, Washington, and Grant owned slaves? They were products of their time. They had flaws. Just like we do today. Just like the BLM people, etc., etc.

Anyway. Not really supporting them on this.....

Eh, I'm iffy on the statues of these guys being taken down, but... who is being erased from history, in this case? In particular, what history does Washington have with Oregon? I don't like this argument.
The Land of Spooky Scary Skeletons!

Pronouns: she/her

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General