NATION

PASSWORD

The Food Discussion Thread I

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

-Astoria-
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 27, 2019
Left-wing Utopia

Postby -Astoria- » Thu Aug 13, 2020 2:07 am

Infected Mushroom wrote:I love the tea-lemonade mix
That's basically iced tea, but with extra letters.
                                                      Republic of Astoria | Pobolieth Asdair                                                      
Bedhent cewsel ein gweisiau | Our deeds shall speak
IC: FactbooksLocationEmbassiesFAQIntegrity | OOC: CCL's VP • 9th in NSFB#110/10: DGES
 ⌜✉⌟ TV1 News | 2023-04-11  ▶ ⬤──────── (LIVE) |  Headlines  Winter out; spring in for public parks • Environment ministry announces A₤300m in renewables subsidies • "Not enough," say unions on A₤24m planned Govt cost-of-living salary supplement |  Weather  Liskerry ⛅ 13° • Altas ⛅ 10° • Esterpine ☀ 11° • Naltgybal ☁ 14° • Ceirtryn ⛅ 19° • Bynscel ☀ 11° • Lyteel ☔ 9° |  Traffic  ROADWORKS: WRE expwy towards Port Trelyn closed; use Routes P294 northbound; P83 southbound 

An Alan Smithee Nation
Powerbroker

Founded: Apr 18, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby An Alan Smithee Nation » Thu Aug 13, 2020 2:12 am

-Astoria- wrote:
An Alan Smithee Nation wrote:I've never been in a Subway. The shops smell really unpleasant to me, it's not at all like the smell of a bakery.
What did it smell like?
Also, for the poll; fish soup. :lol:

They all smell the same, and it's a unique smell. Kind of vinegary, like they are using chemicals to make the bread rise rather than yeast.
Everything is intertwinkled

Shanghai industrial complex
Minister

Founded: Feb 20, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Shanghai industrial complex » Thu Aug 13, 2020 2:35 am

Infected Mushroom wrote:
Shwe Tu Colony wrote:
Drink and chips, aye. I usually had this green tea-lemonade mix.

Sounds like you're having a time.

I love the tea-lemonade mix

unfortunately, it seems to be a North America only thing. I went to the subway in Hong Kong and they didn't have it. This makes me sad. =(

Not even in Starbucks? I like black tea with lemonade
多看空我 仮面ライダークウガをたくさん見てください Watch more Masked Rider Kukuku Kuuga!

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Founded: Apr 15, 2014
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Thu Aug 13, 2020 2:37 am

Shanghai industrial complex wrote:
Infected Mushroom wrote:
I love the tea-lemonade mix

unfortunately, it seems to be a North America only thing. I went to the subway in Hong Kong and they didn't have it. This makes me sad. =(

Not even in Starbucks? I like black tea with lemonade

Starbucks has the green tea latte which I like :)

But less options for lemonades :(

At least for the HK branches
Last edited by Infected Mushroom on Thu Aug 13, 2020 2:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Thu Aug 13, 2020 2:42 am

Neutraligon wrote:
Pax Nerdvana wrote:I don't like mushrooms. Too rubbery. On the subject of Subway, I haven't been to one in years, but I remember it being pretty good.

That would depend on how you cook them. I have used them as a replacement for pulled pork, and it might not taste the same, but it works.

Mushrooms are wonderful

I like them in pizzas, in soups, as vegetable sides :)

Glenbrook
Spokesperson

Founded: Jun 06, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Glenbrook » Thu Aug 13, 2020 6:41 am

-Astoria- wrote:
Infected Mushroom wrote:I love the tea-lemonade mix
That's basically iced tea, but with extra letters.

Isn’t that an Arnold Palmer?
Glenbrook | "parare Domino plebem perfectam"
(last recorded 23/4) COVID-19 CASE TREND: 24% RISE| ACTIVE CASES: 10,201 DEATHS: 102,485 VACCINATED: 55% | RECORDED CASES: 8,584,192 |
Seagull Star News | Collapse at James Parker Int’l Airport kills 29: Terriorism suspected. | BluTech acquired by ChemDev | Price of gas reaches Ł5.39 per gallon.|
stan LOONA

Katganistan
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Katganistan » Thu Aug 13, 2020 6:45 am

Glenbrook wrote:
-Astoria- wrote:That's basically iced tea, but with extra letters.

Yup.

La Xinga
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 12, 2019
Father Knows Best State

Postby La Xinga » Thu Aug 13, 2020 7:01 am

The Alma Mater wrote:
Infected Mushroom wrote:
its not a thing in Europe as much?

On fries, certainly. On bread ? Not so much. But the composition and texture is quite different from the hellmans stuff.
Also flavours vary from country to country - the Belgian stuff is quite sour, the Dutch relatively sweet.

Of course, if you truly want to talk controversial foodstuffs, we can talk about tea and how that should never go near a microwave OR milk.

T-T-ea? With no milk? WHY?

Geneviev
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 03, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Geneviev » Thu Aug 13, 2020 7:20 am

For the poll, onions are a blessing for food but definitely not for me.
"Above all, keep loving one another earnestly, since love covers a multitude of sins." 1 Peter 4:8

La Xinga
Negotiator

Father Knows Best State

Postby La Xinga » Thu Aug 13, 2020 7:21 am

Geneviev wrote:For the poll, onions are a blessing for food but definitely not for me.

What do onions do to you?

Geneviev
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 03, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Geneviev » Thu Aug 13, 2020 7:23 am

La xinga wrote:
Geneviev wrote:For the poll, onions are a blessing for food but definitely not for me.

What do onions do to you?

For some reason, they burn my eyes more than other people.
"Above all, keep loving one another earnestly, since love covers a multitude of sins." 1 Peter 4:8

Infected Mushroom
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Infected Mushroom » Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:07 am

Geneviev wrote:
La xinga wrote:What do onions do to you?

my eyes get teary as well

The Blaatschapen
Technical Moderator

Anarchy

Postby The Blaatschapen » Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:13 am

Geneviev wrote:

Just how many other people have burned your eyes? :shock:
The Blaatschapen should resign

The Free Joy State
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Jan 05, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The Free Joy State » Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:42 am

Geneviev wrote:

They do mine, too. But my diet would be so much less tasty without them (them and garlic). I eat both about four to five times most weeks.
"If there's a book that you want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it." - Toni Morrison

My nation does not represent my beliefs or politics.

Glenbrook
Spokesperson

Founded: Jun 06, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Glenbrook » Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:31 am

Onions are amazing. Yellow and white onions are trash, red onions are the best. They just look pretty and taste better to me.

Caramelized onions are amazing on burgers and that’s what I would use yellow onions for.
Glenbrook | "parare Domino plebem perfectam"
(last recorded 23/4) COVID-19 CASE TREND: 24% RISE| ACTIVE CASES: 10,201 DEATHS: 102,485 VACCINATED: 55% | RECORDED CASES: 8,584,192 |
Seagull Star News | Collapse at James Parker Int’l Airport kills 29: Terriorism suspected. | BluTech acquired by ChemDev | Price of gas reaches Ł5.39 per gallon.|
stan LOONA

Novus America
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 02, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:44 am

Glenbrook wrote:Onions are amazing. Yellow and white onions are trash, red onions are the best. They just look pretty and taste better to me.

Caramelized onions are amazing on burgers and that’s what I would use yellow onions for.

I agree red are the best, I think the have the most flavor, but yet are still less likely to overwhelm the food having less “bite”.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Zombie Ike/Teddy Roosevelt 2020.

Novus America represents my vision of an awesome Atompunk near future United States of America expanded to the entire North American continent, Guyana and the Philippines. The population would be around 700 million.
Think something like prewar Fallout, minus the bad stuff.

Politically I am an independent. I support what is good for the country, which means I cannot support either party.

Pilipinas and Malaya
Minister

Founded: Jun 23, 2017
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Pilipinas and Malaya » Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:50 am

Glenbrook wrote:Onions are amazing. Yellow and white onions are trash, red onions are the best. They just look pretty and taste better to me.

Eww onions. Onions are okay as small flavour bits to be added in dishes, but onion being the focus of a dish or major part of it sounds plain awful.

Seems like an unpopular opinion given the number of “French Onion Soup is the best” posts I see here :p .

Infected Mushroom wrote:
Geneviev wrote:For some reason, they burn my eyes more than other people.

my eyes get teary as well

After some time, your eyes do get partially used to it (takes longer for you to cry).
Federative States of Pilipinas and Malaya
Member of Europe

Homepage (leads to other info dispatches)
Accursed, incomplete, self-made map collection of my universe
NS Stats invalid
Yes, my nation does represent a good chunk of my views
Finally got around to dealing with a bunch of canon stuff, expect them to be updated every once in a while. | *inhales copium* In Civ 7, maybe we'll finally get a Filipino civ? | STREAM SEVENTEEN'S FML, OUT NOW

La Xinga
Negotiator

Father Knows Best State

Postby La Xinga » Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:57 am

What about sauteed onions?

Katganistan
Senior Game Moderator

Postby Katganistan » Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:56 am

La xinga wrote:
The Alma Mater wrote:
On fries, certainly. On bread ? Not so much. But the composition and texture is quite different from the hellmans stuff.
Also flavours vary from country to country - the Belgian stuff is quite sour, the Dutch relatively sweet.

Of course, if you truly want to talk controversial foodstuffs, we can talk about tea and how that should never go near a microwave OR milk.

T-T-ea? With no milk? WHY?

Because tea with milk is diluted and not truly tea?
I mean if the only way you can drink it is milk and sweetner, then maybe you just don't like tea.

Same with coffee.

Katganistan
Senior Game Moderator

Postby Katganistan » Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:57 am

Geneviev wrote:

Refrigerate onions before cutting.
Cut with a SHARP knife. If the knife is blunt, it breaks the cell walls and produces more aerosolized onion droplets.

Minskiev
Minister

Founded: Apr 20, 2020
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Minskiev » Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:13 am

Heresy! Thou shalt be broken into tears by the vile onion which thou loveth!

Yeah, I don’t like onions. Never have, never will.
Minskiev/Walrus. Former Delegate of the Rejected Realms, 3x Officer. 15x WA author. Join the RRA here.

Stellar Colonies
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 27, 2017
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Stellar Colonies » Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:20 am

I used to hate onions everywhere, but now I love having them as a minor ingredient to add flavor to foods, mostly when they are soaked in a broth or gravy.

The only food with onions as the main ingredient which I really like are onion rings.
Floofybit wrote:Your desired society should be one where you are submissive and controlled
Primitive Communism wrote:What bodily autonomy do men need?
Techocracy101010 wrote:If she goes on a rampage those saggy wonders are as deadly as nunchucks
Parmistan wrote:It's not ALWAYS acceptable when we do it, but it's MORE acceptable when we do it.
Theodorable wrote:Jihad will win.
Distruzio wrote:All marriage outside the Church is gay marriage.
Khardsland wrote:Terrorism in its original definition is a good thing.
I try to be objective, but I do have some biases.

North Californian.
Stellar Colonies is a loose galactic confederacy.

The Confederacy & the WA.

Add 1200 years.

-Astoria-
Negotiator

Left-wing Utopia

Postby -Astoria- » Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:23 am

Glenbrook wrote:
-Astoria- wrote:That's basically iced tea, but with extra letters.

Eh?

Who dat?
IC: FactbooksLocationEmbassiesFAQIntegrity | OOC: CCL's VP • 9th in NSFB#110/10: DGES
 ⌜✉⌟ TV1 News | 2023-04-11  ▶ ⬤──────── (LIVE) |  Headlines  Winter out; spring in for public parks • Environment ministry announces A₤300m in renewables subsidies • "Not enough," say unions on A₤24m planned Govt cost-of-living salary supplement |  Weather  Liskerry ⛅ 13° • Altas ⛅ 10° • Esterpine ☀ 11° • Naltgybal ☁ 14° • Ceirtryn ⛅ 19° • Bynscel ☀ 11° • Lyteel ☔ 9° |  Traffic  ROADWORKS: WRE expwy towards Port Trelyn closed; use Routes P294 northbound; P83 southbound 

Minskiev
Minister

Founded: Apr 20, 2020
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Minskiev » Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:23 am

Stellar Colonies wrote:I used to hate onions everywhere, but now I love having them as a minor ingredient to add flavor to foods, mostly when they are soaked in a broth or gravy.

The only food with onions as the main ingredient which I really like are onion rings.

My main issue with onions is the texture. So many nice sloppy joes ruined by random onions thrown in, throwing you off completely as you bit into the nice soft patty, and lo, there was a random cubed crunchy onion! What diabolical maniac would do this to your nerves!

Oh, and they don’t taste THAT good. Come on, there’s no reason to put onions on pizza. Stop doing this to yourself.
Minskiev/Walrus. Former Delegate of the Rejected Realms, 3x Officer. 15x WA author. Join the RRA here.

-Astoria-
Negotiator

Left-wing Utopia

Postby -Astoria- » Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:25 am

Katganistan wrote:Because tea with milk is diluted and not truly tea?
I mean if the only way you can drink it is milk and sweetner, then maybe you just don't like tea.
Well, if you just dump tea into hot water, all you're going to get is strange-tasting water.
Minskiev wrote:
Stellar Colonies wrote:I used to hate onions everywhere, but now I love having them as a minor ingredient to add flavor to foods, mostly when they are soaked in a broth or gravy.

My main issue with onions is the texture. So many nice sloppy joes ruined by random onions thrown in, throwing you off completely as you bit into the nice soft patty, and lo, there was a random cubed crunchy onion! What diabolical maniac would do this to your nerves!

Oh, and they don’t taste THAT good. Come on, there’s no reason to put onions on pizza. Stop doing this to yourself.
My main problem with onions is that they're always slimy (in an off-putting way); but in a sauce? Much yum.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General