NATION

PASSWORD

Should students be allowed to use cellphones in school?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Should students be allowed to use cellphones in school?

Yes, cellphones are a human right!
24%
Yes, prohibition doesn't work
42%
No, but they could be useful in an emergency
27%
No, the phones melt your brain!
4%
IDK, I don't know
4%

Total votes : 108

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 29, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Wed May 27, 2020 7:29 pm

Define 'use'.
Have them on their person? Yes.
Have them out while simply in the building? Yes.
Have them out during class time? No.

My High School had an idiotic policy that wrote up anyone who had their phone out AT ALL. You could be eating lunch with your phone out and someone would come up and snatch it from you, seriously fuck off.

Katganistan
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Katganistan » Wed May 27, 2020 7:33 pm

Amusing (to me) story:

I had called home because one of my students was using his cellphone to watch basketball in class repeatedly, and spoke with mom, who was not amused.

A week later, dad comes up with kid for Parent-Teacher conferences and tells me flat out, "My son says he did not do it, and I believe my son." Reasonable questions like, "What possible motive would I have in telling you a lie?" did not budge dad. Kid looked pretty smug.

Literally, the next day, we are watching _Macbeth_ in class, and the only way to be able to see anything on the Smartboard was to turn off all the lights. Cell phones are REALLY bright in dark rooms and who had theirs out?

Quietly, I pulled mine out. Because I am pretty nerdy and not a "stealth" photographer, I'd left the default sound the phone made (the shutter sound) when I took a picture with it. Students sitting around him watched me get up from my desk, and walk right up to him. He was so engrossed in watching videos that he never saw me or realized I was standing over him until...... CLICK-WHIIIIIIRR!

He looks up in panic, "Oh shit."
And I said, "Uh-huh," went to my records, got dad's phone number and sent the picture of his son on the phone in class to him then and there.

Son did not have a phone for the rest of the semester. I'm convinced it was at least partly because he made his dad look like a jackass for defending him.
Last edited by Katganistan on Wed May 27, 2020 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Great-German Empire
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 25, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby The Great-German Empire » Wed May 27, 2020 7:45 pm

They definitely should. Some parents would like to check up on them, especially if they don't go home after school immediately.

And even if the only rule you're pushing for is "no phones visible" I'm still not sure that's such a good idea. I mean, exchanging memes during break *is* a form of socialization, and some students might want to keep up with various forms of news. Regarding your argument about Snapchat, this is just one of those "enforce, don't prevent" things: Yes, it's a problem when people's (and especially minors') privacy is violated, but nobody usually dies from it. Just make it a rule that having somebody in a photo without their consent is prohibited, and there you go.

One thing I will say about school policies in general is that at least for Junior High and up, enforcing a mentality of "You are the teacher's full subordinate from the moment you walk in and until you walk out the school doors" is demeaning and detrimental, and only encourages students to be confrontational. You're not going to teach them to obey, period, so why pretend? In fact, a schoolkid's teenage years should at least start preparing them for the real world, and in the real world you have rights - so it doesn't make sense to have them be dead to rights in school.
IC Name: Empire of Germany
Just your friendly neighborhood Weltmacht. Und Doch Gang | NS Stats are not used. Q&A if you need it!
Pro/Anti, 8Values and other tests: Here
Unapologetic libertarian populist monarchism

Vossische Zeitung: The Chancellor, Baron Hartmann, announced in a rally that he will 'work tirelessly against the formation of a society of control' | Hungary edges out Germany 4-3 in Euro Cup final; Kaiser personally congratulates Hungarians for an 'exceptional' game | According to survey, 73% of Germans oppose an introduction of speed limits on major Autobahns

Luziyca
Post Czar

Founded: Nov 13, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Luziyca » Wed May 27, 2020 7:50 pm

Katganistan wrote:Amusing (to me) story:

I had called home because one of my students was using his cellphone to watch basketball in class repeatedly, and spoke with mom, who was not amused.

A week later, dad comes up with kid for Parent-Teacher conferences and tells me flat out, "My son says he did not do it, and I believe my son." Reasonable questions like, "What possible motive would I have in telling you a lie?" did not budge dad. Kid looked pretty smug.

Literally, the next day, we are watching _Macbeth_ in class, and the only way to be able to see anything on the Smartboard was to turn off all the lights. Cell phones are REALLY bright in dark rooms and who had theirs out?

Quietly, I pulled mine out. Because I am pretty nerdy and not a "stealth" photographer, I'd left the default sound the phone made (the shutter sound) when I took a picture with it. Students sitting around him watched me get up from my desk, and walk right up to him. He was so engrossed in watching videos that he never saw me or realized I was standing over him until...... CLICK-WHIIIIIIRR!

He looks up in panic, "Oh shit."
And I said, "Uh-huh," went to my records, got dad's phone number and sent the picture of his son on the phone in class to him then and there.

Son did not have a phone for the rest of the semester. I'm convinced it was at least partly because he made his dad look like a jackass for defending him.

God, to experience that moment that moment that he realizes he is done for, that would be incredibly priceless.
|||The Kingdom of Rwizikuru|||
Your feeble attempts to change the very nature of how time itself has been organized by mankind shall fall on barren ground and bear no fruit
WikiFacebookKylaris: the best region for eight years runningAbout meYouTubePolitical compass

Dylar
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 07, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Dylar » Wed May 27, 2020 7:50 pm

The Great-German Empire wrote:They definitely should. Some parents would like to check up on them, especially if they don't go home after school immediately.

And even if the only rule you're pushing for is "no phones visible" I'm still not sure that's such a good idea. I mean, exchanging memes during break *is* a form of socialization, and some students might want to keep up with various forms of news. Regarding your argument about Snapchat, this is just one of those "enforce, don't prevent" things: Yes, it's a problem when people's (and especially minors') privacy is violated, but nobody usually dies from it. Just make it a rule that having somebody in a photo without their consent is prohibited, and there you go.

One thing I will say about school policies in general is that at least for Junior High and up, enforcing a mentality of "You are the teacher's full subordinate from the moment you walk in and until you walk out the school doors" is demeaning and detrimental, and only encourages students to be confrontational. You're not going to teach them to obey, period, so why pretend? In fact, a schoolkid's teenage years should at least start preparing them for the real world, and in the real world you have rights - so it doesn't make sense to have them be dead to rights in school.

If anything phone prohibitions do prepare students for the real world. I've worked in places that would give you a formal write-up for pulling out your phone just to check the time during working hours. Not saying every workplace does that, of course. And enforcing a mentality of subordination also prepares them for the workplace. Although there could be better ways to go about it.
St. Albert the Great wrote:"Natural science does not consist in ratifying what others have said, but in seeking the causes of phenomena."
Franko Tildon wrote:Fire washes the skin off the bone and the sin off the soul. It cleans away the dirt. And my momma didn't raise herself no dirty boy.

Pro: Life, Catholic, religious freedom, guns
Against: gun control, abortion, militant atheism
Interests: Video Games, Military History, Catholic theology, Sci-Fi, and Table-Top Miniatures games
Favorite music genres: Metal, Drinking songs, Polka, Military Marches, Hardbass, and Movie/Video Game soundtracks

Shanghai industrial complex
Minister

Founded: Feb 20, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Shanghai industrial complex » Wed May 27, 2020 11:54 pm

Dylar wrote:
The Great-German Empire wrote:They definitely should. Some parents would like to check up on them, especially if they don't go home after school immediately.

If anything phone prohibitions do prepare students for the real world. I've worked in places that would give you a formal write-up for pulling out your phone just to check the time during working hours. Not saying every workplace does that, of course. And enforcing a mentality of subordination also prepares them for the workplace. Although there could be better ways to go about it.

Yep.When working, some areas can take out the mobile phone, and some areas are forbidden to aim the mobile phone at the screen or file.Some areas have to go through security checks and hand over everything that can record data to security.Since the workplace defines these things through contracts, schools may also be able to regulate them through documents.
多看空我 仮面ライダークウガをたくさん見てください Watch more Masked Rider Kukuku Kuuga!

Loben The 2nd
Senator

Founded: Apr 29, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Loben The 2nd » Thu May 28, 2020 5:13 am

Bro where have you been for the last ten years.
no quarter.
Satisfaction guaranteed.

Agarntrop
Powerbroker

Founded: May 14, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Agarntrop » Thu May 28, 2020 5:18 am

Genivaria wrote:Define 'use'.
Have them on their person? Yes.
Have them out while simply in the building? Yes.
Have them out during class time? No.

My High School had an idiotic policy that wrote up anyone who had their phone out AT ALL. You could be eating lunch with your phone out and someone would come up and snatch it from you, seriously fuck off.

sounds familiar
Labour Party (UK), Progressive Democrat (US)
Left Without Edge
Former Senator Barry Anderson (R-MO)

Governor Tara Misra (R-KY)

Representative John Atang (D-NY03)

Governor Max Smith (R-AZ)

State Senator Simon Hawkins (D-IA)

Join Land of Hope and Glory - a UK political RP project

Page
Post Marshal

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Page » Thu May 28, 2020 7:53 am

Not during class. In the hallways between periods, at lunch, why the hell not. Back when I was in high school I got in school suspension for listening to my iPod during lunch. I demanded a reason from the capricious administrator as to why I shouldn't be able to do that. She was unable to come up with any rationale.
Anarcho-Communist Against: Bolsheviks, Fascists, TERFs, Putin, Autocrats, Conservatives, Ancaps, Bourgeoisie, Bigots, Liberals, Maoists

I don't believe in kink-shaming unless your kink is submitting to the state.

Greenwichian Arcadia
Attaché

Founded: Aug 11, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Greenwichian Arcadia » Thu May 28, 2020 8:02 am

During breaks? Sure, why not?
In class? Probably not. However, some videos made during classes might be useful to give parents an insight on what exactly is taught on the classes.
US, Canada, obscure sci-fi plus weird sports = this.
NS stats are used (for now). Population is 231M.
Refer to canon NS policies when in doubt.
Set 50 years ago with 2020 tech.
A 6/0/5/16 nation.
Intgaming
ÆEEAADS!
[free space]
What I wish is totally irrelevant, what people wish really matters.
—Nicole Greenwich, the first PotC.

Region of Dwipantara
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 12, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Region of Dwipantara » Thu May 28, 2020 8:18 am

As someone who very recently just graduated from high school: yes.

Outside class: yes, and there aren't really any good argument against that.

Inside class: yes. From my experience, cellphones and its access to the internet are a great great improvement to the education quality. Teachers nowdays quickly share their materials and class assignments through phone instead of wasting time and paper to print them. They are also a great way to access information for class tasks, research, activity, and discussion. Also, if a student isn't paying attention, taking their phone usually means that they'll find other means to distract themselves.

Anti-cellphone policies are ineffective, at least in my experience. My former middle school banned phone while my high school only ban it on certain occasions. On both occasion, I brought two phones: one is my sister's useless broken phone that I put in the collection bag, the other is my actual phone that I then secretly use. The class president and all the student council all hated the policy, so they easily cooperate with fellow students and warn us if 'surprise inspections' are imminent. After some time, the policy wears out and im fact many teachers (usually the easy-going type) started to not give a fuck to the restriction.
Last edited by Region of Dwipantara on Thu May 28, 2020 8:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
☪︎ Province No. 14 of the Islamic Khilafah – 14 الخلافة الإسلامية منطقة‎ ☪︎
Home | Government | Policy | Contact

This sig is hacked by the FABULOUS #y0uNG_fOX3S. ¡RESTORE THE REPUBLIC, DESTROY THE KHILAFAH! Join the Alliance and the Fox today and we will Make Dwipantara Merdeka Again! ^OWO^
1418-DZQ-02/1998-MAR-03
 RADIO FREE SOUTHEAST ASIA | Charta Politica February polling: Pro-Khilafah  35.6% (PKI 28.7%, SI 6.9%); Pro-Republiken 64.4% (PAN 7.4%, PKB 13.2%, PRD 5.8%, PDDP 37.9%)

Today's featured | Do not listen to the flat-earthers imperialists, read the TRUE factbooks of our province here, exclusive on the Cakrawala Fox-Site

Oceanor
Bureaucrat

Founded: May 21, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Oceanor » Thu May 28, 2020 8:40 am

I literally wouldn't be able to do some classes without a phone. Many of my teachers have integrated phones into their programs, and it actually does help the learning process. Because of them, we can get so many more things done faster. We do have a few Chromebooks, but not nearly enough for even a quarter of the school to use. Allowing phones decreases the amount of money needing to be spent on technology and makes learning faster and easier. Why would you be against that?

Cekoviu
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 18, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Cekoviu » Thu May 28, 2020 10:54 am

children under the age of 18 shouldn't be allowed to own smartphones or dogs
pro: women's rights
anti: men's rights

Andsed
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 24, 2017
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Andsed » Thu May 28, 2020 10:58 am

As long as their not using it during class without permission, yeah.
I do be tired

LOVEWHOYOUARE~

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General