NATION

PASSWORD

In Defence of All Lives Matter

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Exxosia
Diplomat

Founded: May 09, 2008
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Exxosia » Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:28 am

All lives matter says we should look outside racist parameters and try to find a solution.

Black lives matter says that black people are special in their victimhood and including others takes away from that. They would rather maintain their victimhood than have a solution to their problems because the only way to resolve it is to treat the entire thing rather than just their corner of it.

It's like if someone was being mauled by a bear, they have mild lacerations on most of their body but their leg is ripped to shreds. Black Lives Matter is saying we need to fixate on the leg, All Lives Matter is saying we need to do something about the bear. Black Lives Matter wants us to bandage the leg while the bear is still mauling away, when we really need to get the bear situation resolved and then give them first priority in the triage of care afterward.
Last edited by Exxosia on Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Founded: Nov 11, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:29 am

Exxosia wrote:All lives matter says we should look outside racist parameters and try to find a solution.

Black lives matter says that black people are special in their victimhood and including others takes away from that. They would rather maintain their victimhood than have a solution to their problems because the only way to resolve it is to treat the entire thing rather than just their corner of it.

It's like if someone was being mauled by a bear, they have mild lacerations on most of their body but their leg is ripped to shreds. Black Lives Matter is saying we need to fixate on the leg, All Lives Matter is saying we need to do something about the bear. Black Lives Matter wants us to bandage the leg while the bear is still mauling away, when we really need to get the bear situation resolved and then give them first priority in the triage of care afterward.

So why does that analogy not mesh with all the BLM advocates I see calling for major systemic change?
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

MtF trans and proud - She / Her / etc.
100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

"Have you ever had a moment online, when the need to prove someone wrong has outweighed your own self-preservation instincts?"

Centai Mal
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: May 19, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Centai Mal » Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:31 am

Vassenor wrote:
Exxosia wrote:All lives matter says we should look outside racist parameters and try to find a solution.

So why does that analogy not mesh with all the BLM advocates I see calling for major systemic change?

Because it means white people aren't the center of the universe
“Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men.”

Religion: Catholic
Disabled and queer as hell
Biden 2020
Firefighter I certified, off to EMS and Rookie School next fall

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Founded: Feb 10, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:36 am

Centai Mal wrote:
Vassenor wrote:

Because it means white people aren't the center of the universe

Honestly, if anyone advocates that all lives truly matter, they would understand why we’re focusing on black lives right now. They’re being victimized and killed by police too often. They face racism and discrimination constantly. And until we demand they’re treated fairly, and that the system changes, we can’t claim to be pro-all lives. Right now, that’s a fucking cop-out. Only some lives matter, by the looks of it.
Slava Ukraini
Also: THERNSY!!
Your story isn't over;֍Help save transgender people's lives֍Help for feral cats
Cat with internet access||Supposedly heartless, & a d*ck.||Is maith an t-earra an tsíocháin.||No TGs
RIP: Dyakovo & Ashmoria

Diarcesia
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 21, 2016
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Diarcesia » Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:44 am

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
Centai Mal wrote:Because it means white people aren't the center of the universe

Honestly, if anyone advocates that all lives truly matter, they would understand why we’re focusing on black lives right now. They’re being victimized and killed by police too often. They face racism and discrimination constantly. And until we demand they’re treated fairly, and that the system changes, we can’t claim to be pro-all lives. Right now, that’s a fucking cop-out. Only some lives matter, by the looks of it.

The ideal solution should also benefit everyone, not just blacks, so I don't see an issue on the focus on black lives in that sense.

Centai Mal
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: May 19, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Centai Mal » Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:58 am

Diarcesia wrote:
Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:

The ideal solution should also benefit everyone, not just blacks, so I don't see an issue on the focus on black lives in that sense.

I refer you again to this image:

“Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men.”

Religion: Catholic
Disabled and queer as hell
Biden 2020
Firefighter I certified, off to EMS and Rookie School next fall

Apostate
Spokesperson

Founded: Mar 09, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Apostate » Tue Jun 02, 2020 12:36 pm

In my community tonight, a BLM protest will occur. My hope is they protest, and go back home to their families, and nothing gets out of control.

All lives matter is correct, and I do not consider it to be taking away from the BLM movement. When definitions of words are changed and appropriated in this way, it becomes very dangerous for everyone. Clearly the mentality in this great country is wrong. All police are not racist. Most police are not racist. Just like Most Christians dont prey upon children, and most teachers dont date their students, and trick them into killing their spouses.

The REALITY remains that the wrong people will seek out employment in positions where they have access to victims of many different types, in order to make the job of being a monster easier for them. The impetus is on us Psychologists to create better psychometric instruments to detect the precursors for applicants to these professions. The mental state that must be present to prey upon helpless victims (Floyd uncuffed and going about his day was not a helpless victim, until the arrest subsequently made him so) is such a disturbed and confused place that there is no excuse for continuing to use the clearly flawed and broken MMPI-2 that is the standard for Clergy, Police, and certain other jobs. These "bad" people stick out!

However, since riots and "quasi terror organizations" are capturing our focus, nothing will ever change. The use of violence and fear creates an instinctive response to create distance from the stimulus (avoidance), or to overwhelm the stimulus and eliminate the object causing fear (counter violence). Same works with anger.We are now in a clusterfuck, because now we have a clearly circular emotional position that will perpetuate division instead of promoting unity while simultaneously creating new systems to address the flaws of existing systems.

All lives matter. We all start out as little kids, and we are all robbing ourselves of the true freedom to see the world as a child sees it. Magical, fun, exciting, new. I hope the protests work in creating the change needed, and I hope the hardworking Police that are good people do not get dragged down as a result of anger and fear, and I hope the good protesters have no reason to be fearful going forward in any situation. May justice prevail, and may cool minds select even better solutions that move us ALL together, forward.
“Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.”

What a man really says when he says that someone else can be persuaded by force, is that he himself is incapable of more rational means of communication.

Diarcesia
Negotiator

Postby Diarcesia » Tue Jun 02, 2020 1:13 pm

Centai Mal wrote:
Diarcesia wrote:The ideal solution should also benefit everyone, not just blacks, so I don't see an issue on the focus on black lives in that sense.

I refer you again to this image:

Irrelevant. Why would you douse a house with water if it's not on fire?

Anyways, what I'm saying there is that by addressing the issues raised by BLM, everyone gets to benefit. Especially if it's police brutality.
Last edited by Diarcesia on Tue Jun 02, 2020 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cyng
Bureaucrat

Founded: Apr 13, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Cyng » Tue Jun 02, 2020 4:30 pm

BLM is a terrorist organization, and anyone using the term is a terrorist sympathizer.

Skeckoa
Minister

Founded: Jan 06, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Skeckoa » Tue Jun 02, 2020 4:46 pm

For anyone who is actually, in good-faith, actually confused, here it goes.

We are not saying "[Only] Black Lives Matter", we are saying "Black Lives Matter[, too]"
One of those PC liberals with anti-colonist sympathies
——————————
————————————
————————————
CALIFORNIA REPUBLIC
————————————

Skeckoa
Minister

Founded: Jan 06, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Skeckoa » Tue Jun 02, 2020 4:51 pm

I get that Black Americans do not have the monopoly on suffering in America, but let's be real, Black Americans take on more than the lion's share (alongside our Indigenous communities)

My thing is, and i think that a lot of people who ID with BLM would say, is that by the time that Black Americans feel comfortable being black in USA, we will all be better off.

The systems that bring black people down often bring non-black poor people down as well, and once those systems are eradicated and replaced, working-class Americans (the vast vast majority of us) will be better off.
One of those PC liberals with anti-colonist sympathies
——————————
————————————
————————————
CALIFORNIA REPUBLIC
————————————

Satuga
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 27, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Satuga » Tue Jun 02, 2020 4:57 pm

Skeckoa wrote:For anyone who is actually, in good-faith, actually confused, here it goes.

We are not saying "[Only] Black Lives Matter", we are saying "Black Lives Matter[, too]"

Yeah I see that, I still have issues with the movement itself for other reasons, mainly being it's leadership and tendency to be related with things that are... well let's say less than tolerant. I also think we should be focusing on police brutality as a whole as it would accomplish the same exact thing.
Alt-Acc: Kronotek.
Funny quotes:
Infected Mushroom wrote:I don’t like democracy. It’s messy, disorderly, unclean.

I much prefer uniforms, soldiers, clear lines of authority, order.
Tarsonis wrote:
Fartsniffage wrote:Can the pair of you go do it in one of the myriad American politics threads?

(Image)

So help me I will throw your tea into the harbor again

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Tue Jun 02, 2020 5:02 pm

Cyng wrote:BLM is a terrorist organization, and anyone using the term is a terrorist sympathizer.

*** Warned for trolling ***
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

Cyng
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Cyng » Tue Jun 02, 2020 5:09 pm

Farnhamia wrote:
Cyng wrote:BLM is a terrorist organization, and anyone using the term is a terrorist sympathizer.

*** Warned for trolling ***

Every opinion I don't like is trolling

Satuga
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 27, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Satuga » Tue Jun 02, 2020 5:10 pm

Cyng wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:*** Warned for trolling ***

Every opinion I don't like is trolling

Dude I wouldn't you're testing the beast m8.
Alt-Acc: Kronotek.
Funny quotes:
Infected Mushroom wrote:I don’t like democracy. It’s messy, disorderly, unclean.

I much prefer uniforms, soldiers, clear lines of authority, order.
Tarsonis wrote:
Fartsniffage wrote:Can the pair of you go do it in one of the myriad American politics threads?

(Image)

So help me I will throw your tea into the harbor again

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Postby Farnhamia » Tue Jun 02, 2020 5:14 pm

Satuga wrote:
Cyng wrote:Every opinion I don't like is trolling

Cyng is welcome to appeal.
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz

Cyng
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Cyng » Tue Jun 02, 2020 5:20 pm

Farnhamia wrote:
Satuga wrote:Dude I wouldn't you're testing the beast m8.

Cyng is welcome to appeal.

I don't see a point, I think everyone knows what's going on

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Postby Farnhamia » Tue Jun 02, 2020 5:22 pm

Cyng wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:Cyng is welcome to appeal.

I don't see a point, I think everyone knows what's going on

*shrugs* Your choice.

Cyng
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Cyng » Tue Jun 02, 2020 5:27 pm

Being against racist rioters should never be a controversial opinion. Hey, remember two weeks ago when anti-lockdown protesters were terrorists because they could possibly spread the virus? Such a fascinating time, seems everyone's just about forgotten about that.

Czechostan
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 23, 2013
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Czechostan » Tue Jun 02, 2020 6:07 pm

That's giving them more credit than they deserve. "All lives matter" is only the snarky response to someone saying "black lives matter." I don't see them doing anything other than grumbling that the center of attention is on someone else.

Necroghastia
Forum Moderator

Founded: May 11, 2019
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Necroghastia » Tue Jun 02, 2020 6:28 pm

Cyng wrote:Being against racist rioters should never be a controversial opinion. Hey, remember two weeks ago when anti-lockdown protesters were terrorists because they could possibly spread the virus? Such a fascinating time, seems everyone's just about forgotten about that.

And being against racist rioters is what BLM's all about.
The Land of Spooky Scary Skeletons!

Pronouns: she/her

Diarcesia
Negotiator

Postby Diarcesia » Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:14 pm

Czechostan wrote:

That's giving them more credit than they deserve. "All lives matter" is only the snarky response to someone saying "black lives matter." I don't see them doing anything other than grumbling that the center of attention is on someone else.

I think some people genuinely thought, or were worried, that the BLM folks (or at least the organization's leadership) care about issues blacks face to the point that other marginalized groups' issues were ignored or neglected. For this demographic, "all lives matter" serves more as a reminder that it's not "blacks vs. the rest of the world".

For those who use it as snark, yeah, they probably aren't acting in good faith anyway.

Shazbotdom
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 28, 2004
Anarchy

Postby Shazbotdom » Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:18 pm

Cyng wrote:Being against racist rioters should never be a controversial opinion. Hey, remember two weeks ago when anti-lockdown protesters were terrorists because they could possibly spread the virus? Such a fascinating time, seems everyone's just about forgotten about that.

Seeing as it's not BLM that is doing the rioting, but ANTIFA....your point is moot.
ShazWeb || IIWiki || Discord: shazbertbot || 1 x NFL Picks League Champion (2021)
CosmoCast || SISA || CCD || CrawDaddy || SCIA || COPEC || Boudreaux's || CLS || SNC || ShazAir || BHC || TWO
NHL: NYR 3 - 0 WSH | COL 2 - 1 WPG | VGK 2 - 1 DAL || NBA: NOLA (8) 0 - 3 OKC (1)
NCAA MBB: Tulane 23-19 | LSU 28-16 || NCAA WSB: LSU 35-13

The Grims
Ambassador

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby The Grims » Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:22 pm

Shazbotdom wrote:

Seeing as it's not BLM that is doing the rioting, but ANTIFA....your point is moot.

There certainly are self-styled antifas amongst the rioters. And blms. And proud boys. And gangs. And cops. And a thousand other groups. It is a group that does not discriminate on skin colour or political affiliation, which is amazing.

South Odreria 2
Minister

Founded: Aug 26, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby South Odreria 2 » Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:53 pm

Satuga wrote:
Cyng wrote:Every opinion I don't like is trolling

Cringe alert
Valrifell wrote:
Disregard whatever this poster says

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General