NATION

PASSWORD

What is a good Christian?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Katganistan
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Katganistan » Thu May 21, 2020 12:08 am

Andechs-Sisebut wrote:
Luminesa wrote:He already has.

https://press.vatican.va/content/salast ... 0802a.html

Consequently, the Church teaches, in the light of the Gospel, that “the death penalty is inadmissible because it is an attack on the inviolability and dignity of the person”,[1] and she works with determination for its abolition worldwide.

St. John Paul II also held similar beliefs on the death penalty.

Then he is wrong. The Church has never taught in 2,000 years that the death penalty is evil. St. John Paul II didn’t condemn the death penalty as inherently evil.

I'm sorry, did you say the Pope was wrong?
Last edited by Katganistan on Thu May 21, 2020 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jedi Council
Senator

Founded: Jan 01, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Jedi Council » Thu May 21, 2020 12:08 am

Godular wrote:
Jedi Council wrote:No that explanation will suffice, thank you.

I personally do not find it convincing, but it is enlightening all the same.

EDIT: As an aside, what a relatively civil end to a decent conversation about religion of all things, in NS of all places.
That's a miracle I can get behind.

Lumi’s more patient than most. Whatever I might say about her faith, she does have that.

Patience is a virtue after all.
New Liberal | Humanist
Surfing NS Since 2013
The Huskar Social Union wrote:Jedi Council is in fact, the big gay... The lord of all gays.

Islands of Washington
Spokesperson

Founded: May 11, 2018
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Islands of Washington » Thu May 21, 2020 12:09 am

Jedi Council wrote:
Islands of Washington wrote:i dont know, there is some entertainment value watching a new nation argue semantics with a moderator who has been around awhile

90% of religious debates consist of entirely semantics.
Godular wrote:
Islands of Washington wrote:i dont know, there is some entertainment value watching a new nation argue semantics with a moderator who has been around awhile

A train wreck might be difficult to avert one’s gaze from, but I for one would like to limit the casualties.

While i do enjoy these from time to time,i do thouroghly enjoy a civil and righteous end to a debate. However i just speak of the basicness of their conversation being that they were arguing rules of the site, considering the drastic difference in knowledge of them.
A nation of Great....Imperialism...
I do hope you enjoy your stay...Not that anything....bad may happen....
MUHAHAHAHAAHHAAHHAHA!

Dreisburg
Bureaucrat

Founded: May 08, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Dreisburg » Thu May 21, 2020 12:13 am

Prozitia wrote:A good Christian is one that understands their religion and has reached their belief through their own conscience.

Well said :clap:

Baja California Autonoma
Attaché

Founded: Feb 17, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Baja California Autonoma » Thu May 21, 2020 12:13 am

Jedi Council wrote:
Albrenia wrote:
In general conversation, us atheists are often given the 'just act like God exists, you've got nothing to lose!' version. Which, if God's ability to see through such bullshit is true, would leave a bunch of people just wasting their time and hope of salvation by instead adopting a 'pretend' faith.

And even taking the Wager at face value, using its own logic, the likelihood of choosing the right God/Gods is slim to none just because of the sheer number of them.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Progres ... ristianity

You might be interested in this friend. Not all Christian people are like these people arguing for right beliefs instead of right actions.

Jedi Council
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Jedi Council » Thu May 21, 2020 12:17 am

Baja California Autonoma wrote:
Jedi Council wrote:And even taking the Wager at face value, using its own logic, the likelihood of choosing the right God/Gods is slim to none just because of the sheer number of them.

You might be interested in this friend. Not all Christian people are like these people arguing for right beliefs instead of right actions.

Oh yes, I find progressive Christianity to be far more palatable than traditional denominations, but I attribute that to my own bias.

And while more palatable it may be, it still labours under the belief in a deity, which I do not, and in all likelihood will not, share.
New Liberal | Humanist
Surfing NS Since 2013
The Huskar Social Union wrote:Jedi Council is in fact, the big gay... The lord of all gays.

South Odreria 2
Minister

Founded: Aug 26, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby South Odreria 2 » Thu May 21, 2020 12:17 am

Katganistan wrote:
Andechs-Sisebut wrote:Then he is wrong. The Church has never taught in 2,000 years that the death penalty is evil. St. John Paul II didn’t condemn the death penalty as inherently evil.

Please don’t argue with this guy at 12 or 3 in the morning :( . No good will come of it.
Valrifell wrote:
Disregard whatever this poster says

Baja California Autonoma
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Baja California Autonoma » Thu May 21, 2020 12:19 am

Jedi Council wrote:

Oh yes, I find progressive Christianity to be far more palatable than traditional denominations, but I attribute that to my own bias.

And while more palatable it may be, it still labours under the belief in a deity, which I do not, and in all likelihood will not, share.

That's fine, just don't let these peoples' literal formalism deter you from learning about other ways to think about this. Supernatural theism is not a crux of this teaching. Just sharing in case. Take care and have a good day.

South Odreria 2
Minister

Founded: Aug 26, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby South Odreria 2 » Thu May 21, 2020 12:19 am

Jedi Council wrote:

And while more palatable it may be, it still labours under the belief in a deity

I think most Christian denominations are like that.

wink
Last edited by South Odreria 2 on Thu May 21, 2020 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Valrifell wrote:
Disregard whatever this poster says

Andechs-Sisebut
Bureaucrat

Founded: May 18, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Andechs-Sisebut » Thu May 21, 2020 12:21 am

Katganistan wrote:
Andechs-Sisebut wrote:Then he is wrong. The Church has never taught in 2,000 years that the death penalty is evil. St. John Paul II didn’t condemn the death penalty as inherently evil.

It's held that when he makes a pronouncement like this, he is infallible.

How do you not know this?

Yes, the Pope is wrong. He is a human being, he can be wrong, and this one often is. John XXII was wrong about the Beatific Vision; if Francis condemns the death penalty as inherently evil, he is wrong and contradicts every Pope before him. This isn’t an infallible pronouncement, so I don’t know where you’re getting that?
Katganistan wrote:
Andechs-Sisebut wrote:The Catholic Church doesn’t condemn capital punishment. If your referring to Pope Francis’ addition to the catechism, that’s his prudential decision. It is inadmissible to use the death penalty now that developed nations are focused on reforming criminals and have the facilities to do so. The Pope cannot say that capital punishment is morally wrong and evil.

He absolutely can, that's literally his function.

No, his function is to protect the Deposit of Faith, help his brethren (the clergy) and proclaim it to the Faithful and Mankind. His position is not to change it. It’s a good thing he didn’t too, because he wouldn’t able to.

If you want to discuss this, I’ll see you in the CDT.
Last edited by Andechs-Sisebut on Thu May 21, 2020 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
That was overcome, so may this be.

The Free Joy State
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Jan 05, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The Free Joy State » Thu May 21, 2020 12:22 am

Jedi Council wrote:And even taking the Wager at face value, using its own logic, the likelihood of choosing the right God/Gods is slim to none just because of the sheer number of them.

Not the same, but theologically in a similar wheelhouse, is also this one.

Christian people are certainly not of one mind.
"If there's a book that you want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it." - Toni Morrison

My nation does not represent my beliefs or politics.

Jedi Council
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Jedi Council » Thu May 21, 2020 12:27 am

The Free Joy State wrote:

Not the same, but theologically in a similar wheelhouse, is also this one.

Christian people are certainly not of one mind.

If only they were, every European history course would be immensely simplified.
New Liberal | Humanist
Surfing NS Since 2013

Katganistan
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Katganistan » Thu May 21, 2020 12:33 am

Andechs-Sisebut wrote:
Katganistan wrote:
You don't get to tell me or anyone else to leave the thread. You also perhaps should review the rules of this site, since you seem very unfamiliar with them.

You’re a Moderator but have 0 self-awareness. Perhaps you’d like to review what you’ve said to me, then, if the rules so concern you; because the most I’ve said is that you aren’t a Catholic, you’ve gone quite a bit farther. :)

I am very self-aware thank you. I am also quite aware that you've spent all evening attacking me personally rather than what I have said, whereas I have attacked your behavior and your argument and not you personally.
South Odreria 2 wrote:
Katganistan wrote:I'm sorry, did you say the Pope was wrong?

Please don’t argue with this guy at 12 or 3 in the morning :( . No good will come of it.

I'm just finding that a bit... inconsistent.
Last edited by Katganistan on Thu May 21, 2020 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Andechs-Sisebut
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Andechs-Sisebut » Thu May 21, 2020 12:36 am

Katganistan wrote:
Andechs-Sisebut wrote:You’re a Moderator but have 0 self-awareness. Perhaps you’d like to review what you’ve said to me, then, if the rules so concern you; because the most I’ve said is that you aren’t a Catholic, you’ve gone quite a bit farther. :)

I am very self-aware thank you. I am also quite aware that you've spent all evening attacking me personally rather than what I have said, whereas I have attacked your behavior and your argument and not you personally.

You shouldn’t be able to leech the credence of being a Catholic on the topic Catholicism when you are most emphatically opposed to the Catholic Church. I’m glad I pointed out so that every knows you oppose Catholic teaching. Sorry. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Last edited by Andechs-Sisebut on Thu May 21, 2020 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Andechs-Sisebut
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Andechs-Sisebut » Thu May 21, 2020 12:39 am

What personal attack isn’t about behaviour lmao? get real

Baja California Autonoma
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Baja California Autonoma » Thu May 21, 2020 12:45 am

Andechs-Sisebut wrote:
Katganistan wrote:I am very self-aware thank you. I am also quite aware that you've spent all evening attacking me personally rather than what I have said, whereas I have attacked your behavior and your argument and not you personally.

You shouldn’t be able to leech the credence of being a Catholic on the topic Catholicism when you are most emphatically opposed to the Catholic Church. I’m glad I pointed out so that every knows you oppose Catholic teaching. Sorry. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Even if he's not Catholic is he not Christian? Who are you to determine people's own identities?

You seem really obnoxious and arrogant.

I suppose you're the only true Christian here by how constantly you attack other peoples orthodoxy, veracity of their spirit, or lack of it. I'm considering leaving the Catholic Church. Theres too many like you. All the worse for Jesus call to us to evangelize, you seem to be dissuading and shaming people in the striving for Christ.

You'd do well to consider people human and worthy of respect beyond merely those that flatter your own prejudices.

Albrenia
Post Marshal

Founded: Aug 18, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Albrenia » Thu May 21, 2020 12:52 am

Andechs-Sisebut wrote:What personal attack isn’t about behaviour lmao? get real

Calling someone ugly would be a personal attack not related to behaviour. For example.

Aeritai
Minister

Founded: Oct 25, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Aeritai » Thu May 21, 2020 12:54 am

Andechs-Sisebut wrote:You shouldn’t be able to leech the credence of being a Catholic on the topic Catholicism when you are most emphatically opposed to the Catholic Church. I’m glad I pointed out so that every knows you oppose Catholic teaching. Sorry. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Even if he's not Catholic is he not Christian? Who are you to determine people's own identities?

I suppose you're the only true Christian here by how constantly you attack other peoples orthodoxy, veracity of their spirit, or lack of it. I'm considering leaving the Catholic Church. Theres too many like you. All the worse for Jesus call to us to evangelize, you seem to be dissuading and shaming people in the striving for Christ.

You'd do well to consider people human and worthy of respect beyond merely those that flatter your own prejudices.

What do you mean by this? Not all Christians attack people.
Just call me Aeri
IC: This is a fantasy medieval nation full of deer people... Yes you read that right, deer people
I am a Human Female

Baja California Autonoma
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Baja California Autonoma » Thu May 21, 2020 12:54 am

Aeritai wrote:

Sarcasm.

Aeritai
Minister

Founded: Oct 25, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Aeritai » Thu May 21, 2020 12:56 am

Aeritai wrote:

Sarcasm.

Ah my mistake sorry.
Last edited by Aeritai on Thu May 21, 2020 12:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Just call me Aeri
IC: This is a fantasy medieval nation full of deer people... Yes you read that right, deer people
I am a Human Female

The Free Joy State
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Jan 05, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The Free Joy State » Thu May 21, 2020 1:00 am

Andechs-Sisebut wrote:
Katganistan wrote:I am very self-aware thank you. I am also quite aware that you've spent all evening attacking me personally rather than what I have said, whereas I have attacked your behavior and your argument and not you personally.

The topic of this thread is not Catholicism. The topic of this thread is what makes one a good Christian, general.

You evidently believe Catholicism and Christianity are synonymous. The existence of other denominations proves that is not so.

And you have not shown anybody that Kat, whom this thread is not about, opposes Catholicism.
"If there's a book that you want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it." - Toni Morrison

My nation does not represent my beliefs or politics.

Andechs-Sisebut
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Andechs-Sisebut » Thu May 21, 2020 1:02 am

Andechs-Sisebut wrote:You shouldn’t be able to leech the credence of being a Catholic on the topic Catholicism when you are most emphatically opposed to the Catholic Church. I’m glad I pointed out so that every knows you oppose Catholic teaching. Sorry. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I’m going to be real with you, chief, and probably the only post you could construe to breaking the rules.

There are definitions for what makes a Catholic, what makes a Christian. No one just gets to say they’re this or that if they’re outside that definition. I assent to all the teachings of His Church, even ones I have trouble assenting to, I try to live according to the definition I provided on page 5. I am not a good Catholic, but at least I am one. This cannot be said for Katganistan, who has repeatedly opposed the teachings of the Catholic Church. At best, she’s a nominal Catholic.

You seemed to think I was obnoxious and arrogant when I was polite, patient and soft-spoken on page 17, so I don’t really care if you think so. I never said I was the only Christian here? Nowhere, it doesn’t exist. Luminesa, Felrik, Salus, Joohan, etc. even Pope Francis (of course) who was wrong about the death penalty, is a true Christian. I attack Katganistan because she doesn’t believe the teachings of the Catholic Church, yet has the gall to present herself as a Catholic.

Now, onto you. You expect to be pampered with validation or something, everything you do must be acceptable, even if it goes contrary to God. No, nigga, you should humble yourself instead of telling others how ‘obnoxious and arrogant’ they are. Even when I wasn’t abrasive, I was ‘obnoxious and arrogant’! No, what you want is what every atheist in this thread wants, Catholics and Christians to be apathetic and pushovers so that you can force your beliefs on them. Take a page out of your own book: ‘ You'd do well to consider people human and worthy of respect beyond merely those that flatter your own prejudices.’

Goodnight and God bless you all regardless.

Andechs-Sisebut
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Andechs-Sisebut » Thu May 21, 2020 1:03 am

Albrenia wrote:
Andechs-Sisebut wrote:What personal attack isn’t about behaviour lmao? get real

Calling someone ugly would be a personal attack not related to behaviour. For example.

How about ‘go shit in a hat’?
Last edited by Andechs-Sisebut on Thu May 21, 2020 1:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Baja California Autonoma
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Baja California Autonoma » Thu May 21, 2020 1:07 am

Andechs-Sisebut wrote:

I’m going to be real with you, chief, and probably the only post you could construe to breaking the rules.

There are definitions for what makes a Catholic, what makes a Christian. No one just gets to say they’re this or that if they’re outside that definition. I assent to all the teachings of His Church, even ones I have trouble assenting to, I try to live according to the definition I provided on page 5. I am not a good Catholic, but at least I am one. This cannot be said for Katganistan, who has repeatedly opposed the teachings of the Catholic Church. At best, she’s a nominal Catholic.

You seemed to think I was obnoxious and arrogant when I was polite, patient and soft-spoken on page 17, so I don’t really care if you think so. I never said I was the only Christian here? Nowhere, it doesn’t exist. Luminesa, Felrik, Salus, Joohan, etc. even Pope Francis (of course) who was wrong about the death penalty, is a true Christian. I attack Katganistan because she doesn’t believe the teachings of the Catholic Church, yet has the gall to present herself as a Catholic.

Now, onto you. You expect to be pampered with validation or something, everything you do must be acceptable, even if it goes contrary to God. No, nigga, you should humble yourself instead of telling others how ‘obnoxious and arrogant’ they are. Even when I wasn’t abrasive, I was ‘obnoxious and arrogant’! No, what you want is what every atheist in this thread wants, Catholics and Christians to be apathetic and pushovers so that you can force your beliefs on them. Take a page out of your own book: ‘ You'd do well to consider people human and worthy of respect beyond merely those that flatter your own prejudices.’

Matthew 7:3
"Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother's eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye?"

Andechs-Sisebut
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Andechs-Sisebut » Thu May 21, 2020 1:10 am

Andechs-Sisebut wrote:I’m going to be real with you, chief, and probably the only post you could construe to breaking the rules.

Matthew 7:3
"Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother's eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye?"

Don’t like it when you get a taste of your own medicine do you? Perhaps you ought to apply that verse to yourself!

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General