NATION

PASSWORD

What is a good Christian?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Jack Thomas Lang
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 18, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Jack Thomas Lang » Wed May 20, 2020 5:12 pm

The Sladerstan wrote:However, I'm considering Orthodoxy, and am becoming more and more sure they are the Church Jesus founded. I mean, Catholicism has gone through so many changes and splits, and they still claim to be "Apostolic", but the Orthodox Church has always remained the same. I'm beginning to think it's because they never needed to change.

That's not quite true. I'm sure one of our resident Orthodox Christians can tell you about the split between the Orthodox Church and the Old Believers, and Orthodox Churches have had schisms between themselves (most notably that between the Ukrainian and Russian Churches). That being said, the Orthodox Church has undergone far less schisms and far-reaching changes than Catholicism and Protestantism. I admire it. Who knows, I might have been Orthodox if my Russian were better.

Jedi Council
Senator

Founded: Jan 01, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Jedi Council » Wed May 20, 2020 5:19 pm

Dominioan wrote:I've actually considered Christianity before, but after looking into the dark and dirty side of things, im not so sure :/

There is always the option of rejecting all Faiths.

That's just as valid.
New Liberal | Humanist
Surfing NS Since 2013
The Huskar Social Union wrote:Jedi Council is in fact, the big gay... The lord of all gays.

Katganistan
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Katganistan » Wed May 20, 2020 5:45 pm

Neutraligon wrote:
Evil Empire 666 wrote:
A good Christian ? What’s that ? The only good Christian is Martin Luther King Jr. .

Mr Rogers?

The world is a lot poorer for having lost Fred Rogers.

Atheris
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 05, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Atheris » Wed May 20, 2020 5:47 pm

Katganistan wrote:
Neutraligon wrote:Mr Rogers?

Wasn't ever alive to watch his show. Still agree, 100%.
#FreeNSGRojava
Don't talk to Moderators. Don't associate with Moderators. Don't trust moderators. Moderators lie.
NEW VISAYAN ISLANDS SHOULD RESIGN! HOLD JANNIES ACCOUNTABLE!

Neutraligon
Game Moderator

Founded: Oct 01, 2011
New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Wed May 20, 2020 5:53 pm

Katganistan wrote:
Neutraligon wrote:Mr Rogers?

When I think of a good Christian, that is who I think of. He doesn't need to proselytize because he is his own best example. He does not need to spread the word because his every action proclaimed the best of what humanity (and Christianity, because it was a big influence on him) can be.
If you want to call me by a nickname, call me Gon...or NS Batman.
Mod stuff: One Stop Rules Shop | Reppy's Sig Workshop | Getting Help Request
Just A Little though

Katganistan
Senior Game Moderator

Postby Katganistan » Wed May 20, 2020 6:06 pm

Neutraligon wrote:
Katganistan wrote:The world is a lot poorer for having lost Fred Rogers.

When I think of a good Christian, that is who I think of. He doesn't need to proselytize because he is his own best example. He does not need to spread the word because his every action proclaimed the best of what humanity (and Christianity, because it was a big influence on him) can be.

*nods* A genuinely kind, loving man. He spread the tenets of what being a good moral person are through his very secular show, Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood. He literally was charged to do his ministry in this way, and he did it very successfully.
Last edited by Katganistan on Wed May 20, 2020 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Neutraligon
Game Moderator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Wed May 20, 2020 6:13 pm

Katganistan wrote:
Neutraligon wrote:When I think of a good Christian, that is who I think of. He doesn't need to proselytize because he is his own best example. He does not need to spread the word because his every action proclaimed the best of what humanity (and Christianity, because it was a big influence on him) can be.

*nods* A genuinely kind, loving man. He spread the tenets of what being a good moral person, a good Christian, are through his very secular show, Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood. He literally was charged to do his ministry in this way, and he did it very successfully.

I love watching his reaction to seeing the kids he met on his show after a long time. He kept in contact with them....What was the bible passage you will know them by their fruits, Mr Rogers epitomized this. I wonder what his church services where like. I bet they where incredibly fulfilling, no fire and brimstone or condemnation.
Last edited by Neutraligon on Wed May 20, 2020 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Just A Little though

Katganistan
Senior Game Moderator

Postby Katganistan » Wed May 20, 2020 6:24 pm

Neutraligon wrote:
Katganistan wrote:*nods* A genuinely kind, loving man. He spread the tenets of what being a good moral person, a good Christian, are through his very secular show, Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood. He literally was charged to do his ministry in this way, and he did it very successfully.

I love watching his reaction to seeing the kids he met on his show after a long time. He kept in contact with them....What was the bible passage you will know them by their fruits, Mr Rogers epitomized this. I wonder what his church services where like. I bet they where incredibly fulfilling, no fire and brimstone or condemnation.

He never did them, never preached in front of a congregation. The show literally was his ministry from what I understand.

Byeclase
Spokesperson

Founded: May 03, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Byeclase » Wed May 20, 2020 6:29 pm

I like Jacques Roux and Thomas Sankara for their actions.

Albrenia
Post Marshal

Founded: Aug 18, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Albrenia » Wed May 20, 2020 6:33 pm

Katganistan wrote:
Neutraligon wrote:I love watching his reaction to seeing the kids he met on his show after a long time. He kept in contact with them....What was the bible passage you will know them by their fruits, Mr Rogers epitomized this. I wonder what his church services where like. I bet they where incredibly fulfilling, no fire and brimstone or condemnation.

He never did them, never preached in front of a congregation. The show literally was his ministry from what I understand.

That's the sort of Christianity I prefer, tbh. Winning souls with good deeds as example tugs even at the heartstrings of a danged ol' atheist like me.

Neutraligon
Game Moderator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Wed May 20, 2020 6:36 pm

Katganistan wrote:
Neutraligon wrote:I love watching his reaction to seeing the kids he met on his show after a long time. He kept in contact with them....What was the bible passage you will know them by their fruits, Mr Rogers epitomized this. I wonder what his church services where like. I bet they where incredibly fulfilling, no fire and brimstone or condemnation.

Funny to think of him as a televangelist.
Just A Little though

Katganistan
Senior Game Moderator

Postby Katganistan » Wed May 20, 2020 6:36 pm

Albrenia wrote:
Katganistan wrote:He never did them, never preached in front of a congregation. The show literally was his ministry from what I understand.

That's the sort of Christianity I prefer, tbh. Winning souls with good deeds as example tugs even at the heartstrings of a danged ol' atheist like me.

Yup. This old Catholic has a deep and abiding respect and love for Mr. Rogers, who was a Presbyterian minister.
Last edited by Katganistan on Wed May 20, 2020 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Katganistan
Senior Game Moderator

Postby Katganistan » Wed May 20, 2020 6:40 pm

Neutraligon wrote:
Katganistan wrote:He never did them, never preached in front of a congregation. The show literally was his ministry from what I understand.

Funny to think of him as a televangelist.

And yet, never asked for money (except from Congress to support public children's educational television aka PBS) and really never mentioned anything you could point to as being religious.
Last edited by Katganistan on Wed May 20, 2020 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Luminesa
Khan of Spam

Founded: Dec 09, 2014
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Luminesa » Wed May 20, 2020 7:14 pm

Neutraligon wrote:
Katganistan wrote:*nods* A genuinely kind, loving man. He spread the tenets of what being a good moral person, a good Christian, are through his very secular show, Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood. He literally was charged to do his ministry in this way, and he did it very successfully.

I didn’t get to appreciate him until I was older, which is a shame, but he really was wonderful as a preacher, teacher, and person. And as a Christian. He also pushed for children’s education to be put on TV, period, so he was definitely a Godsend.

Honestly, we’re all Godsends one way or another, we just have to use our gifts to make the world more beautiful and loving. Like he did.
Catholic, pro-life, and proud of it. I prefer my debates on religion, politics, and sports with some coffee and a little Aquinas and G.K. CHESTERTON here and there. :3
Unofficial #1 fan of the Who Dat Nation.
"I'm just a singer of simple songs, I'm not a real political man. I watch CNN, but I'm not sure I can tell you the difference in Iraq and Iran. But I know Jesus, and I talk to God, and I remember this from when I was young:
faith, hope and love are some good things He gave us...
and the greatest is love."
-Alan Jackson
Help the Ukrainian people, here's some sources!
Help bring home First Nation girls! Now with more ways to help!
Jesus loves all of His children in Eastern Europe - pray for peace.
Pray for Ukraine, Wear Sunflowers In Your Hair

Dominioan
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 10, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Dominioan » Wed May 20, 2020 7:18 pm

Jedi Council wrote:
Dominioan wrote:I've actually considered Christianity before, but after looking into the dark and dirty side of things, im not so sure :/

There is always the option of rejecting all Faiths.

That's just as valid.

True true. But I’ve seen some good things religion does. If I believe the universe is random according to science, I’m useless and insignificant in the grand scheme of things.
Help i'm addicted to pain so I keep coming back to this site
Direct rule from Oklahoma City
Cool person

I've read 1984, so I can confirm this is in fact 1984

BOOMER SOONER
CHOP ON

Joohan
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 11, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Joohan » Wed May 20, 2020 7:22 pm

Jedi Council wrote:
Joohan wrote:
For Christians, such concepts are one in the same, as what is good and evil is an objective measurement based upon the whims of God.

So in short, a good Christian is automatically a good person? Or am I misunderstanding?

Indeed
If you need a witness look to yourself

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism!

Luminesa
Khan of Spam

Founded: Dec 09, 2014
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Luminesa » Wed May 20, 2020 7:23 pm

For other good non-Catholic heroes (though I have plenty of Catholic heroes I can list), there was CS Lewis, Dietrich Bonhoeffer (who died preaching against Hitler), Elie Wiesel, and John Donne (if you’d consider a poet a hero, at the very least his poetry is quite lofty) off the top of my head.

Catholic heroes I have plenty. Mother Theresa, despite all the controversy around her order, inspired me to do simple actions to show my love for others. While others have said they’ve experienced negative things about her, having read about her spirituality, I found that her desire to love as much as she could despite her inner loneliness was amazing. While his papacy was marred near the end by the abuse scandals that came forward, St. John Paul II’s spirituality and heroism against Nazism was astonishing, and he really, really did try to bring Catholics and non-Catholics closer together. St. Maximilian Kolbe befriended Shinto and Buddhist priests and died as a sacrifice in the place of another Auschwitz prisoner. His battles with depression also connected with me. And of course, the Blessed Mother is an obligatory Catholic hero, but still should be a hero for any Christian who wishes to dedicate their lives to God.

These are just a few examples of good Christians I could think of. Agree or not, I’ve found their spiritual lives, and the love they sought to bring to the world, to be beautiful and worthwhile examples.
Catholic, pro-life, and proud of it. I prefer my debates on religion, politics, and sports with some coffee and a little Aquinas and G.K. CHESTERTON here and there. :3
Unofficial #1 fan of the Who Dat Nation.
"I'm just a singer of simple songs, I'm not a real political man. I watch CNN, but I'm not sure I can tell you the difference in Iraq and Iran. But I know Jesus, and I talk to God, and I remember this from when I was young:
faith, hope and love are some good things He gave us...
and the greatest is love."
-Alan Jackson
Help the Ukrainian people, here's some sources!
Help bring home First Nation girls! Now with more ways to help!
Jesus loves all of His children in Eastern Europe - pray for peace.
Pray for Ukraine, Wear Sunflowers In Your Hair

Albrenia
Post Marshal

Founded: Aug 18, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Albrenia » Wed May 20, 2020 7:24 pm

Dominioan wrote:
Jedi Council wrote:There is always the option of rejecting all Faiths.

That's just as valid.

True true. But I’ve seen some good things religion does. If I believe the universe is random according to science, I’m useless and insignificant in the grand scheme of things.

The universe isn't quite 'random', and there is a certain beauty, to me, in our ability to choose our own significance.

Jedi Council
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Jedi Council » Wed May 20, 2020 7:31 pm

Dominioan wrote:
Jedi Council wrote:There is always the option of rejecting all Faiths.

That's just as valid.

Eh, that's a common misconception. The Universe is not entirely random, it's a series of processes, interactions and relationships that are largely governed by probability. People tend to use this misconception around the process of evolution as well.

Even so, I am sorry to say that you are correct in your second point, a vast majority of human beings are insignificant and useless on a universal, or cosmic, scale. Recognition of that is humbling, even freeing, however, and, in my opinion, is preferable to the arrogance that comes with assuming our rocky world somehow is special, or divinely created.
Last edited by Jedi Council on Wed May 20, 2020 7:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
New Liberal | Humanist
Surfing NS Since 2013
The Huskar Social Union wrote:Jedi Council is in fact, the big gay... The lord of all gays.

Neanderthaland
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 10, 2016
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Neanderthaland » Wed May 20, 2020 7:36 pm

Jedi Council wrote:
Dominioan wrote:True true. But I’ve seen some good things religion does. If I believe the universe is random according to science, I’m useless and insignificant in the grand scheme of things.

Eh, that's a common misconception. The Universe is not entirely random, it's a series of processes, interactions and relationships that are largely governed by probability. People tend to use this misconception around the process of evolution as well.

Even so, I am sorry to say that you are correct in your second point, a vast majority of human beings are insignificant and useless on a universal, or cosmic, scale. Recognition of that is humbling however, and, in my opinion, preferable to the arrogance that comes with assuming our rocky world somehow is special, or divinely created.

We shouldn't get so down on ourselves.

It's not impossible that you might happen to be the person who figures out how to break the universe.
Ug make fire. Mod ban Ug.

Kragholm Free States
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 19, 2017
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Kragholm Free States » Wed May 20, 2020 7:38 pm

Someone who is a good person and also a Christian.

All this shit about "not trying to spread their beliefs to others" that seems to be the most common response in this thread is just quite odd to me, and I'm very much an atheist. It doesn't seem like that would be a sign of virtue, rather a sign of total lack of conviction. I would be far more suspicious of a Christian who consciously avoided spreading their religion than one who tried to share what they genuinely believe to be good and true.
Last edited by Kragholm Free States on Wed May 20, 2020 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Formerly New Aerios, Est. 2012.
I don't use NS stats, here's my perpetually WIP factbooks.
Obligatory Political Compass:
Econ: 3.88 (R), Soc: -4.97 (L)
Civil Libertarian, Monarchist, Decentralist, Economic Localist, Englishman.
Old posts not necessarily representative of current views.

Jedi Council
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Jedi Council » Wed May 20, 2020 7:40 pm

Kragholm Free States wrote:Someone who is a good person and also a Christian.

All this shit about "not trying to spread their beliefs to others" that seems to be the most common response in this thread is just quite odd to me, and I'm very much an atheist. It doesn't seem to me like that would be a sign of virtue, rather a sign of total lack of conviction. I would be far more suspicious of a Christian who consciously avoided spreading their religion than one who tried to share what they genuinely believe to be good and true.

It is not a lack of conviction, it is rather a realization that not everyone wants what you are selling, and that it is not alright to try and stick ones nose where it does not belong.
New Liberal | Humanist
Surfing NS Since 2013

Neanderthaland
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 10, 2016
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Neanderthaland » Wed May 20, 2020 7:40 pm

All this shit about "not trying to spread their beliefs to others" that seems to be the most common response in this thread is just quite odd to me, and I'm very much an atheist. It doesn't seem to me like that would be a sign of virtue, rather a sign of total lack of conviction. I would be far more suspicious of a Christian who consciously avoided spreading their religion than one who tried to share what they genuinely believe to be good and true.

You'd think so. But after Northern Europe killed half of themselves arguing over it, they decided it was better for everyone if you just don't bring it up.
Ug make fire. Mod ban Ug.

Joohan
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Joohan » Wed May 20, 2020 7:41 pm

It's the anti-theist answer. They want a Christian who does not act like a Christian. Our whole schtick, after all, is evangelism.

Joohan
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Joohan » Wed May 20, 2020 7:42 pm

Neanderthaland wrote:

You'd think so. But after Northern Europe killed half of themselves arguing over it, they decided it was better for everyone if you just don't bring it up.

I agree; Protestantism was a mistake. But weening the nordic nations off paganism certainly was not.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General