NATION

PASSWORD

Should Religions Be Taught in Schools?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

How can religions evangelize in schools?

Student groups
22%
Classes
6%
Both
20%
Neither
52%

Total votes : 396

Brunswick-upon-Raritan
Diplomat

Founded: May 15, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Brunswick-upon-Raritan » Mon May 25, 2020 10:25 am

Rojava Free State wrote:
Brunswick-upon-Raritan wrote:
That’s not true at all, and if you’ve ever been stereotyped you’d know how naive it is to think “basic manners” can magically end ignorant misconceptions about various religious faiths in America.

I mean basic manners can at least keep people from saying stupid shit. Doesn't mean they won't think it.

For most people, but there are dangerous elements of society that will not mix well with ignorance, and education is supposed to mitigate that kind of danger.
“Brave as the battle roll of drum,
Strong as the surf when tempests come,
Throbbed all of Jersey’s hearts of oak,
When war upon the Jerseys broke.”

CyberNations class of 2007
Former Nation | Never Forget | Support Our Troops
...got milk? ;) Drink Pepsi, Defeat Communism

Brunswick-upon-Raritan
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Brunswick-upon-Raritan » Mon May 25, 2020 10:28 am

Kernen wrote:
That’s not true at all, and if you’ve ever been stereotyped you’d know how naive it is to think “basic manners” can magically end ignorant misconceptions about various religious faiths in America.

Bigotry is taught. Ignorance is not bigotry.

You can deal with bigotry without teaching religion.

This is like thinking you can deal with racism without teaching about slavery, colonialism, or the civil rights movement.

Kernen
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 02, 2011
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Kernen » Mon May 25, 2020 10:30 am

Kernen wrote:Bigotry is taught. Ignorance is not bigotry.

You can deal with bigotry without teaching religion.

This is like thinking you can deal with racism without teaching about slavery, colonialism, or the civil rights movement.

Of course not. Those are useful topics in their own right.
From the throne of Khan Juk i'Behemoti, Juk Who-Is-The-Strength-of-the-Behemoth, Supreme Khan of the Ogres of Kernen. May the Khan ever drink the blood of his enemies!

Lawful Evil

Get abortions, do drugs, own guns, but never misstate legal procedure.

Brunswick-upon-Raritan
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Brunswick-upon-Raritan » Mon May 25, 2020 10:32 am

Kernen wrote:

Of course not. Those are useful topics in their own right.

So how do you deal with antisemitism and Islamophobia if your school doesn’t teach religion?

Kernen
Powerbroker

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Kernen » Mon May 25, 2020 10:40 am

Kernen wrote:Of course not. Those are useful topics in their own right.

So how do you deal with antisemitism and Islamophobia if your school doesn’t teach religion?

My school had no notable issues with antisemitism and islamophobia back when I attended, really. Violations of the rules were punished, and students were permitted to think what they willed, provided they kept quiet about them. Everybody had the basic tenants of Wheaton's Law handled from kindergarten.
From the throne of Khan Juk i'Behemoti, Juk Who-Is-The-Strength-of-the-Behemoth, Supreme Khan of the Ogres of Kernen. May the Khan ever drink the blood of his enemies!

Lawful Evil

Brunswick-upon-Raritan
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Brunswick-upon-Raritan » Mon May 25, 2020 10:52 am

Kernen wrote:

My school had no notable issues with antisemitism and islamophobia back when I attended, really. Violations of the rules were punished, and students were permitted to think what they willed, provided they kept quiet about them. Everybody had the basic tenants of Wheaton's Law handled from kindergarten.

If only we could all go to your school.

Brunswick-upon-Raritan
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Brunswick-upon-Raritan » Mon May 25, 2020 10:55 am

Kernen wrote:

Also this is just absurd. Did you go to school in Narnia?

Kernen
Powerbroker

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Kernen » Mon May 25, 2020 11:02 am

Kernen wrote:My school had no notable issues with antisemitism and islamophobia back when I attended, really. Violations of the rules were punished, and students were permitted to think what they willed, provided they kept quiet about them. Everybody had the basic tenants of Wheaton's Law handled from kindergarten.

Also this is just absurd. Did you go to school in Narnia?

I wish.

Lawful Evil

Katganistan
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Katganistan » Mon May 25, 2020 1:44 pm

Kernen wrote:No, it isnt.

Maybe not to you, but your kids will have to interact with religious people in their lives and I don’t want them to make bigoted arses of themselves.

Why? Plenty of my fellow religious people make bigoted asses of themselves all the time.

Geneviev
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 03, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Geneviev » Mon May 25, 2020 8:31 pm

Sicilian Imperial-Capitalist Empire wrote:
Geneviev wrote:To be fair, it is a huge part of the culture here, much more than in Germany.

But also to be fair, we don't teach things in school based on culture, we teach them based on knowledgeable academic subjects.

Religion might be cultural, but it isn't too useful for the purposes of school, if it's even useful at all.

Things in school are taught based on creating functional members of society. If that society is extremely religious, like America, religion should be taught to make sure children really understand it. That way they might avoid indoctrination.
"Above all, keep loving one another earnestly, since love covers a multitude of sins." 1 Peter 4:8

Brunswick-upon-Raritan
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Brunswick-upon-Raritan » Mon May 25, 2020 8:35 pm

Katganistan wrote:
Maybe not to you, but your kids will have to interact with religious people in their lives and I don’t want them to make bigoted arses of themselves.

Why? Plenty of my fellow religious people make bigoted asses of themselves all the time.

I’m sure they could benefit from better education about other people’s religions, too.

Jedi Council
Senator

Founded: Jan 01, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Jedi Council » Mon May 25, 2020 11:09 pm

Geneviev wrote:
Sicilian Imperial-Capitalist Empire wrote:But also to be fair, we don't teach things in school based on culture, we teach them based on knowledgeable academic subjects.

Religion might be cultural, but it isn't too useful for the purposes of school, if it's even useful at all.

Things in school are taught based on creating functional members of society. If that society is extremely religious, like America, religion should be taught to make sure children really understand it. That way they might avoid indoctrination.

Assuming this education would be academic, as in the study of the religion as a phenomenon with discussion about its history and doctrine rather than teaching it as truth, the big question arises around whether or not it would be optional.

It would not be hard to imagine some religious families being appalled by the idea of their children being taught about Islam, for example. Similarly, if we discuss religion in this sterile, academic way, should we also not explore atheism and secular humanism as well, so as to not predispose children to a belief in a deity?

If the answer is yes, then I can only imagine even more problems when the devout realize schools are talking about atheism in the same breath as the Abrahamic religions.
Last edited by Jedi Council on Mon May 25, 2020 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
New Liberal | Humanist
Surfing NS Since 2013
The Huskar Social Union wrote:Jedi Council is in fact, the big gay... The lord of all gays.

Neutraligon
Game Moderator

Founded: Oct 01, 2011
New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Mon May 25, 2020 11:29 pm

Jedi Council wrote:
Geneviev wrote:Things in school are taught based on creating functional members of society. If that society is extremely religious, like America, religion should be taught to make sure children really understand it. That way they might avoid indoctrination.
Assuming this education would be academic, as in the study of the religion as a phenomenon with discussion about its history and doctrine rather than teaching it as truth, the big question arises around whether or not it would be optional.

It would not be hard to imagine some religious families being appalled by the idea of their children being taught about Islam, for example. Similarly, if we discuss religion in this sterile, academic way, should we also not explore atheism and secular humanism as well, so as to not predispose children to a belief in a deity?

If the answer is yes, then I can only imagine even more problems when the devout realize schools are talking about atheism in the same breath as the Abrahamic religions.

Would be interesting if they discussed how the bible has changed over the centuries as scribes/councils have added or removed stuffs. Wonder how parents would react the the Mark 16 ended at verse 8 and everything after that was added by scribes later.
If you want to call me by a nickname, call me Gon...or NS Batman.
Mod stuff: One Stop Rules Shop | Reppy's Sig Workshop | Getting Help Request
Just A Little though

Jedi Council
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Jedi Council » Mon May 25, 2020 11:37 pm

Neutraligon wrote:
Jedi Council wrote:1

Would be interesting if they discussed how the bible has changed over the centuries as scribes/councils have added or removed stuffs. Wonder how parents would react the the Mark 16 ended at verse 8 and everything after that was added by scribes later.

That brings up another question about modern day church functions and teachings. Would students learn about a religions entire history, or just the basics?

Another problem lies in teaching about sensitive subjects. Imagine a unit on the Catholic church, what if questions are raised about homosexuality? Does the teacher ignore them? Or do they explain the complex and often discriminatory beliefs of the church towards homosexuals? How would that make LGBTQ children feel in that class? Can they teach units about religions without hitting these troublesome topics?

It opens up a huge can of worms that really is best left at home.
New Liberal | Humanist
Surfing NS Since 2013
The Huskar Social Union wrote:Jedi Council is in fact, the big gay... The lord of all gays.

Brunswick-upon-Raritan
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Brunswick-upon-Raritan » Mon May 25, 2020 11:52 pm

Jedi Council wrote:
Neutraligon wrote:

That brings up another question about modern day church functions and teachings. Would students learn about a religions entire history, or just the basics?

Another problem lies in teaching about sensitive subjects. Imagine a unit on the Catholic church, what if questions are raised about homosexuality? Does the teacher ignore them? Or do they explain the complex and often discriminatory beliefs of the church towards homosexuals? How would that make LGBTQ children feel in that class? Can they teach units about religions without hitting these troublesome topics?

It shouldn’t be ignored at all. Churches are different, and not even all Catholics agree with the Catholic church on everything. That’s something people should know. I don’t think that education would be better taught at home, especially not from certain parents, and that goes double for LGBTQ subject matter. Without learning about such subjects through school, kids will learn about them through family prejudices, rumors, hearsay, biases, Fox News, the playground, etc.

Jedi Council
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Jedi Council » Tue May 26, 2020 12:08 am

Jedi Council wrote:That brings up another question about modern day church functions and teachings. Would students learn about a religions entire history, or just the basics?

It shouldn’t be ignored at all. Churches are different, and not even all Catholics agree with the Catholic church on everything. That’s something people should know. I don’t think that education would be better taught at home, especially not from certain parents, and that goes double for LGBTQ subject matter. Without learning about such subjects through school, kids will learn about them through family prejudices, rumors, hearsay, biases, Fox News, the playground, etc.

Yes any churches are different of course, and many denominations have their own views on homosexuality. This can be said for many religions.

But taking the example of the Catholic Church again, the 1992 report on homosexuality by a Congregation of the Doctrine of the Faith, a report which I believe is still the official word from the Church on the subject, says that homosexuality is a "moral disorder," that in some instances it is "obligatory" to discriminate against homosexuals, that it would be acceptable to curtail their rights as one might do towards the extremely mentally I'll or those with a "contagious persons," and that the entire idea of homosexuality evokes "moral concern."

Now if the teacher was good at their job, they would obviously know this, or at least, the basic gist of it. But if this hypothetical teacher spends say half an hour explaining the Church's teachings on homosexuality, there will inevitably be questions over whether the Church is right. The children will be curious. What is the teacher to say?

If the teacher says no, they could risk offending the Catholic students in the class. If they say nothing, it leaves the door open for children to take the lesson that groups of people are discriminatory against the LGBTQ community, and that that is fine. And if they say yes then that defeats the academic study of the topic.

Similarly, in my experience, most schools do teach units on homosexuality and gender issues, curriculum which is largely based in anti-discrimination, acceptance and understanding. How are students supposed to square the schools curriculum with the teachings of the religions they learn about, especially when they directly conflict with one another?

Again, while I support optional religious study classes, they really should be left in University. Primary and secondary school resources are already spread thin, and religion, being a private matter, should remain in the home.
New Liberal | Humanist
Surfing NS Since 2013

Geneviev
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Geneviev » Tue May 26, 2020 6:45 am

Jedi Council wrote:
Geneviev wrote:Things in school are taught based on creating functional members of society. If that society is extremely religious, like America, religion should be taught to make sure children really understand it. That way they might avoid indoctrination.

There should be a secular alternative, so those parents would not need their child to hear about atheism. That should help with their panic about society being destroyed. The students would only have to learn about their own religion so they can think about it critically.
"Above all, keep loving one another earnestly, since love covers a multitude of sins." 1 Peter 4:8

Valrifell
Post Czar

Founded: Aug 18, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Valrifell » Tue May 26, 2020 6:47 am

I'd support a scholarly religion class that attempts to dive into a smorgasbord of faiths and belief systems. I'm uncomfortable with letting folks evangelize, though.
HAVING AN ALL CAPS SIG MAKES ME FEEL SMART

Hobbes Dystopia
Spokesperson

Founded: Mar 30, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Hobbes Dystopia » Tue May 26, 2020 7:04 am

The students would only have to learn about their own religion so they can think about it critically.

I don't think that would work, it would be very easy for biased teachers to turn that in evangelization.
Schools should either teach all or teach none.
Long live to science! Long live reason!

Geneviev
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Geneviev » Tue May 26, 2020 7:14 am

Hobbes dystopia wrote:
The students would only have to learn about their own religion so they can think about it critically.

I don't think that would work, it would be very easy for biased teachers to turn that in evangelization.
Schools should either teach all or teach none.

The teachers should be required to teach it objectively, as they do with everything else. It is important that kids don't learn about something like their religion from people who would want to manipulate them.

Rojava Free State
Post Marshal

Founded: Feb 06, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Tue May 26, 2020 7:16 am

Rojava Free State wrote:
I mean basic manners can at least keep people from saying stupid shit. Doesn't mean they won't think it.

For most people, but there are dangerous elements of society that will not mix well with ignorance, and education is supposed to mitigate that kind of danger.

Case in point being the gun nuts
Rojava Free State wrote:Listen yall. I'm only gonna say it once but I want you to remember it. This ain't a world fit for good men. It seems like you gotta be monstrous just to make it. Gotta have a little bit of darkness within you just to survive. You gotta stoop low everyday it seems like. Stoop all the way down to the devil in these times. And then one day you look in the mirror and you realize that you ain't you anymore. You're just another monster, and thanks to your actions, someone else will eventually become as warped and twisted as you. Never forget that the best of us are just the best of a bad lot. Being at the top of a pile of feces doesn't make you anything but shit like the rest. Never forget that.

Kernen
Powerbroker

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Kernen » Tue May 26, 2020 7:20 am

Rojava Free State wrote:

Case in point being the gun nuts

In my experience, gun nuts are pretty on the ball on the subject. Perhaps not off the topic of gunsand firearm law, but who among us isn't ignorant of something?

Lawful Evil

Bear Stearns
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 02, 2018
Capitalizt

Postby Bear Stearns » Tue May 26, 2020 7:46 am

Yes - everyone should be taught to embrace Reformed Calvinism.
The Bear Stearns Companies, Inc. is a New York-based global investment bank, securities trading and brokerage firm. Its main business areas are capital markets, investment banking, wealth management and global clearing services. Bear Stearns was founded as an equity trading house on May Day 1923 by Joseph Ainslie Bear, Robert B. Stearns and Harold C. Mayer with $500,000 in capital.
383 Madison Ave,
New York, NY 10017
Vince Vaughn

Medwedgrad
Bureaucrat

Founded: May 12, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Medwedgrad » Tue May 26, 2020 8:56 am

The fact is that religion is one of the cornerstones of the civilization and society. School doesn't serve only to spread knowledge or teach useful skills. It's duty is also to prepare for the life in the society. Now, religion is not a private matter. Faith is a private matter, but religion is social, cultural and historical reality. If the school is supposed to help children enter the society as fully responsible members of such organism, then it mustn't pretend to be some kind of scientific and neutral vacuum. Subjects such as mother tongue and literature, History and Religion serve this purpose the best.

Kernen
Powerbroker

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Kernen » Tue May 26, 2020 9:24 am

Medwedgrad wrote:The fact is that religion is one of the cornerstones of the civilization and society. School doesn't serve only to spread knowledge or teach useful skills. It's duty is also to prepare for the life in the society. Now, religion is not a private matter. Faith is a private matter, but religion is social, cultural and historical reality. If the school is supposed to help children enter the society as fully responsible members of such organism, then it mustn't pretend to be some kind of scientific and neutral vacuum. Subjects such as mother tongue and literature, History and Religion serve this purpose the best.

You can successfully navigate American society with only the most rudimentary understanding of christianity. You probably learn more than you need watching south park. Religion may be pervasive, but it is not necessary to operate in U.S. society.

Lawful Evil

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General