NATION

PASSWORD

Should Religions Be Taught in Schools?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

How can religions evangelize in schools?

Student groups
22%
Classes
6%
Both
20%
Neither
52%

Total votes : 396

Geneviev
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 03, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Geneviev » Sun May 17, 2020 8:55 pm

Evil Empire 666 wrote:
Geneviev wrote:Some schools, particularly in the United States in my experience, have groups dedicated to certain religions, in which teachers or other adults teach children about their religion. In my experience, that religion is Christianity, although there are probably other religions that do the same thing. In these groups, children are taught that a certain religion is true by an authority figure, although they are usually optional.

Other schools teach religion as an official subject. In Germany, it is a required subject in public schools and is usually provided by churches. In these situations, religion, which usually Christianity, although there are sometimes secular or Muslim alternatives, is taught in a classroom, but it is sometimes less biased and students can choose not to be in the class.

In both of these examples, churches use schools to evangelize to students. What do you think, NSG? Should both situations be allowed, or only one of them, or none? Is there another method that you would consider more appropriate?

In my opinion, both of these should be allowed because they do not necessarily favor one religion over another, so students can make a decision. Allowing students the opportunity to learn about a religion they already believe in is better than using things like this to evangelize to more, but doing so should be allowed to protect freedom of religion.
No. Becuse

GOD DOES NOT EXIST. Period.

Even assuming that that is true, teaching religion can have benefits and there are many different religions that can do that.
"Above all, keep loving one another earnestly, since love covers a multitude of sins." 1 Peter 4:8

Baja California Autonoma
Attaché

Founded: Feb 17, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Baja California Autonoma » Sun May 17, 2020 8:58 pm

Religion should only be discussed in a comparitive way, not focused on one religion's version over others but viewing them objectively as social constructs and hopefully dispelling a great deal of ignorance and tension from taking root further in society. As clubs I dont see why they shouldn't be allowed for students to organize for whatever purpose they like, as long as it doesnt violate the neutral focus of the curriculum (in a public school).

The Alma Mater
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: May 23, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby The Alma Mater » Sun May 17, 2020 9:33 pm

Geneviev wrote:
Evil Empire 666 wrote: No. Becuse

Even assuming that that is true, teaching religion can have benefits and there are many different religions that can do that.

So how many should schools teach ?
Getting an education was a bit like a communicable sexual disease.
It made you unsuitable for a lot of jobs and then you had the urge to pass it on.
- Terry Pratchett, Hogfather

Geneviev
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 03, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Geneviev » Sun May 17, 2020 9:40 pm

The Alma Mater wrote:
Geneviev wrote:Even assuming that that is true, teaching religion can have benefits and there are many different religions that can do that.

Whatever is necessary that they can afford. There aren't infinite teachers, so they shouldn't teach Hinduism when there aren't many students who believe in it, for example.
"Above all, keep loving one another earnestly, since love covers a multitude of sins." 1 Peter 4:8

Jedi Council
Senator

Founded: Jan 01, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Jedi Council » Sun May 17, 2020 10:11 pm

Geneviev wrote:
The Alma Mater wrote:

Whatever is necessary that they can afford. There aren't infinite teachers, so they shouldn't teach Hinduism when there aren't many students who believe in it, for example.

That's going to be hard in a very diverse country.

I went to school with Muslims, Sikhs, Buddhists, Hindus, Jews, Wiccans, Pagans, and a myriad of different Christian denominations.

If you teach one religion, you have to teach them all. And it's going to be a pandoras box; just wait until different denominations just within Christianity feel ignored.

Classes about religion should be optional, and should be in University. Period.
New Liberal | Humanist
Surfing NS Since 2013
The Huskar Social Union wrote:Jedi Council is in fact, the big gay... The lord of all gays.

Katganistan
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Katganistan » Sun May 17, 2020 10:51 pm

The Alma Mater wrote:
Neanderthaland wrote:"Frankly, at this point the dark arts are our only hope of remaining accredited."

Historically, the teachers position in the defence against the dark arts class has seldomn been filled by a qualified competent teacher.

The position itself was cursed, if I recall correctly.
Geneviev wrote:
Katganistan wrote: As long as they are in a club for it and interested, sure. But some kid telling others who want nothing to do with it that they are going to hell is a bully.

No one will listen if they're not interested, though. That kid is more likely to be bullied.

And that statement is based on what, pray tell? The "all Christians are automatically victims" meme?
Last edited by Katganistan on Sun May 17, 2020 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Albrenia
Post Marshal

Founded: Aug 18, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Albrenia » Sun May 17, 2020 10:54 pm

God's existence or lack thereof isn't decisive on if it should be taught anyway.

Religion has a pretty powerful influence on many people's lives, and has done so throughout history. It's worth studying the how and why even if it is all as true as the Lord of the Rings.

Katganistan
Senior Game Moderator

Postby Katganistan » Sun May 17, 2020 10:57 pm

La xinga wrote:
Albrenia wrote:
Actually, entirely yes. Banning the learning of other religions is the sign of a shit religion.

Not really.

Yes, really. What are they afraid people will learn if they don't ban teaching about other religions?

The Alma Mater
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby The Alma Mater » Sun May 17, 2020 10:58 pm

Albrenia wrote:God's existence or lack thereof isn't decisive on if it should be taught anyway.

Religion has a pretty powerful influence on many people's lives, and has done so throughout history. It's worth studying the how and why even if it is all as true as the Lord of the Rings.

Very true..Problem.is that so many different religions had an impact. On society, art, morals etc. Teaching them all is impossible, a selection would cause people to protest being ignored.

Other then accepting that fact and making a selection, urging kids to do their own research if they wish to learn about other religions, I have no solution. But ignoring the subject is unrealistic.
It made you unsuitable for a lot of jobs and then you had the urge to pass it on.

Albrenia
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Albrenia » Sun May 17, 2020 11:00 pm

The Alma Mater wrote:
Albrenia wrote:God's existence or lack thereof isn't decisive on if it should be taught anyway.

Very true..Problem.is that so many different religions had an impact. On society, art, morals etc. Teaching them all is impossible, a selection would cause people to protest being ignored.

Other then accepting that fact and making a selection, urging kids to do their own research if they wish to learn about other religions, I have no solution. But ignoring the subject is unrealistic.

I agree. Studying the most popular current religions and maybe a few optional ones of particular interest from history seems adequate to me.

The Alma Mater
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby The Alma Mater » Sun May 17, 2020 11:00 pm

Katganistan wrote:
The Alma Mater wrote:Historically, the teachers position in the defence against the dark arts class has seldomn been filled by a qualified competent teacher.

The position itself was cursed, if I recall correctly.

Perhaps, but most teachers at Hogwarts were shitty as teachers. anyway. Regardless of the subject, although we were never told about how maths, geography etc were taught.

Katganistan
Senior Game Moderator

Postby Katganistan » Sun May 17, 2020 11:01 pm

La xinga wrote:That's your opinion Science should be taught in schools regardless of whatever. I don't think so.

That's pretty backwards.
You do realize this is the 21st century, not the 2nd?

Shofercia
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 22, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Shofercia » Sun May 17, 2020 11:01 pm

Geneviev wrote:Some schools, particularly in the United States in my experience, have groups dedicated to certain religions, in which teachers or other adults teach children about their religion. In my experience, that religion is Christianity, although there are probably other religions that do the same thing. In these groups, children are taught that a certain religion is true by an authority figure, although they are usually optional.

Other schools teach religion as an official subject. In Germany, it is a required subject in public schools and is usually provided by churches. In these situations, religion, which usually Christianity, although there are sometimes secular or Muslim alternatives, is taught in a classroom, but it is sometimes less biased and students can choose not to be in the class.

In both of these examples, churches use schools to evangelize to students. What do you think, NSG? Should both situations be allowed, or only one of them, or none? Is there another method that you would consider more appropriate?

In my opinion, both of these should be allowed because they do not necessarily favor one religion over another, so students can make a decision. Allowing students the opportunity to learn about a religion they already believe in is better than using things like this to evangelize to more, but doing so should be allowed to protect freedom of religion.

Religion should be taught in schools, and treated like subjects of History and Philosophy. However, we shouldn't exclude any from being taught, nor should we go "yours iz st00pidz cuz humanz no can have all answerz" or some such crap.
Come, learn about Russian Culture! Bring Vodka and Ushanka. Interested in Slavic Culture? Fill this out.
Stonk Power! (North) Kosovo is (a de facto part of) Serbia and Crimea is (a de facto part of) Russia
I used pronouns until the mods made using wrong pronouns warnable, so I use names instead; if you see malice there, that's entirely on you, and if pronouns are no longer warnable, I'll go back to using them

Saint Nicholas and the Hussars
Envoy

Founded: Feb 28, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Saint Nicholas and the Hussars » Sun May 17, 2020 11:04 pm

Evil Empire 666 wrote:

No. Because

This is an OOC thread bro
Howtoremoveanarchistscumfromnationstates.mp4
Proud sponsor of BARYITE MACHINE CORPORATION™©™ (Powering Manipulation™)™™

Katganistan
Senior Game Moderator

Postby Katganistan » Sun May 17, 2020 11:06 pm

La xinga wrote:
Kernen wrote:Selective breeding is physical evidence of the genetic process that underlies evolution.

What is selective breeding?

What sort of education have you had, that you do not understand this simple a concept?
Jedi Council wrote:I think we can all agree that no one is gonna convince La Xinga that he is being ignorant and foolish for rejecting the concept of facts, and likewise that this strategy is not going to convince any of us.

We might as well all stop trying.

I guess Dameron and Edgar Alan aren't alone in this world.
Last edited by Katganistan on Sun May 17, 2020 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Albrenia
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Albrenia » Sun May 17, 2020 11:11 pm

I see Kat's sifting through the earlier shite-show of a conversation we had here.

Poor bastard, it was bad enough living through it as it happened.

Katganistan
Senior Game Moderator

Postby Katganistan » Sun May 17, 2020 11:11 pm

Eudea wrote:
Estanglia wrote:
Probably, yeah.

Anyway, to go back to the thread topic, if religions are to be taught, they must be taught as objectively as possible. If teaching them objectively is impossible, it should not be taught.

Agreed, but what about religious schools? What to do about them?

The perfect place to learn about religion.
However, if they want to operate and have their education accepted to colleges and the like, they should be accredited, and should have to teach science properly.

Peoples rebulic of india
Political Columnist

Founded: May 14, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Peoples rebulic of india » Sun May 17, 2020 11:12 pm

it shouldnt be taught in schools as it leads to riots,discrimination,massacre and violence of religious communities.We need to teach moral values and disciplin in schools instead of religion.Religion is a private property and it is practicised in homes and religious places.

The Alma Mater
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby The Alma Mater » Sun May 17, 2020 11:19 pm

Katganistan wrote:
Eudea wrote:
Agreed, but what about religious schools? What to do about them?

The perfect place to learn about religion.
However, if they want to operate and have their education accepted to colleges and the like, they should be accredited, and should have to teach science properly.

I actually strongly oppose the idea of a school teaching only one religion as absolute truth and pretending all others do not exist. Any suggestions how we can prevent that if you agree ?

Katganistan
Senior Game Moderator

Postby Katganistan » Sun May 17, 2020 11:19 pm

La xinga wrote:
Jedi Council wrote:And they didn't, they also failed to properly prepare her for life because of their beliefs.

I do not know what gender you are/are not, but imagine growing up not understand why your body functions the way it does. Imagine being 21 and now knowing how you get pregnant, or get someone pregnant. That level of ignorance is truly harmful.

It is shameful to say anyone deserves or is served by that level of dogmatic nonsense.

It's not my fault the parents didn't, or the school's fault.
What did they say about the biology?
UH, being 21 and not knowing these stuff? Perfectly normal.

It really isn't. I was taught in middle school what the reproductive system was, and how babies were made.

I was taught in high school how NOT to have unwanted babies, and how NOT to contract STIs.
Dylar wrote:
Neutraligon wrote: Or they disagree with you while being the same religion as you.

Enter the Catholics, Protestants and Orthodox

One big squabbling family!
Neutraligon wrote:
La xinga wrote:His mother, for sure. His father? He should at least respect him above other beings. That's what I think, you may disagree.

I think I am going to throwup.
Actually, tell me, how do you define the word respect?

I would imagine it's a four letter word. F-E-A-R.
Last edited by Katganistan on Sun May 17, 2020 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Region of Dwipantara
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 12, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Region of Dwipantara » Sun May 17, 2020 11:32 pm

The Alma Mater wrote:
Eudea wrote:
But which brand of Satanism? I don’t disagree with the idea, but this whole denomination thing gets really wacky.

Well, that's the same problem with every religion, isn't it ? So many flavours, so little time.

Take Islam and the burka debacles for example. Islam fights against itself and broke into two faction (Sunni & Shia), then one of them broke into four (Hanbali, Hanafi, Maliki, Syafi'i), and then one of them broke into little bits of denominations with its own opinion of how much should a woman is covered, from 'not necessary' to 'full honey harvesting safety suit'.
☪︎ Province No. 14 of the Islamic Khilafah – 14 الخلافة الإسلامية منطقة‎ ☪︎
Home | Government | Policy | Contact

This sig is hacked by the FABULOUS #y0uNG_fOX3S. ¡RESTORE THE REPUBLIC, DESTROY THE KHILAFAH! Join the Alliance and the Fox today and we will Make Dwipantara Merdeka Again! ^OWO^
1418-DZQ-02/1998-MAR-03
 RADIO FREE SOUTHEAST ASIA | Charta Politica February polling: Pro-Khilafah  35.6% (PKI 28.7%, SI 6.9%); Pro-Republiken 64.4% (PAN 7.4%, PKB 13.2%, PRD 5.8%, PDDP 37.9%)

Today's featured | Do not listen to the flat-earthers imperialists, read the TRUE factbooks of our province here, exclusive on the Cakrawala Fox-Site

Katganistan
Senior Game Moderator

Postby Katganistan » Sun May 17, 2020 11:33 pm

Rojava Free State wrote:
Hillary Clinton 2016-2024 wrote:Depends. Some are obvious scams like Scientology and others are just clear attempts at manipulation, but especially in old pagan faiths cults were neither of those, so it ought to be taught how to recognize a fraud from a legitimate group of weirdos.

Pagans are no weirder than christians.

Some I know are certainly kinder.
The Alma Mater wrote:
Katganistan wrote:The perfect place to learn about religion.

I actually strongly oppose the idea of a school teaching only one religion as absolute truth and pretending all others do not exist. Any suggestions how we can prevent that if you agree ?

In the US it gets into the sticky wicket of the First Amendment to demand that a religious school teach other religions.

I'd never send any kid of mine to a religious school.
Last edited by Katganistan on Sun May 17, 2020 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Free Joy State
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Jan 05, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The Free Joy State » Mon May 18, 2020 1:46 am

Evangelism in schools -- which is not really what the title suggests (I thought R.E., not evangelism) -- no bloody way!

Schools are where children should learn about the world around them, and objective facts, not what some people think may be true -- whether my religion or anyone else's.

I have no problem with objective R.E. classes, where an objective teacher (ideally one without a rigid viewpoint, or who can pretend for the duration of the class) teaches "this is what X group believes and their history; this is what Y group...; this is what Z group..." in an effort to help students understand the people around them (for the major world religions and irreligion in their nation), without pushing any view as correct.

But actual evangelism -- "Join us, kids! We have pizza and the one true faith!" -- should not be in any state funded educational institution in any way at any time. Private religious schools are harder to legislate against, but should also have a legal obligation to keep religion out of certain classes (science and history, for example).
Last edited by The Free Joy State on Mon May 18, 2020 1:58 am, edited 4 times in total.
"If there's a book that you want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it." - Toni Morrison

My nation does not represent my beliefs or politics.

Polding
Spokesperson

Founded: Mar 17, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Polding » Mon May 18, 2020 3:22 am

Of course, religion ought to be taught by school, parents and society at large. School must teach truth and not falsehood, and the Catholic Faith is the Truth. Different communities may teach their children their faiths too. School is to teach literacy and arithmetic, too, and skills for the performance of a persons’ duties. It is every person’s duty to worship God!

The proposition that schools can be separated from religion to assume an indifferent and impartial position is nonsense on its face. A clever but ill-intentioned ploy to subtlety supplant religion and enforce Atheism.That is to say, ‘secularism is is a byword State Atheism. See: Education in the US of America.
Last edited by Polding on Mon May 18, 2020 3:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
O reader, understand the rankness of your devouring belly; For it is that which you now smell in your putrid [poo]. Therefore, leave off feeding the gluttony of your belly; And in good time let the sober life return to you.

Eudea
Bureaucrat

Founded: May 10, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Eudea » Mon May 18, 2020 3:27 am

Polding wrote:Of course, religion ought to be taught by school, parents and society at large. School must teach truth and not falsehood, and the Catholic Faith is the Truth. Different communities may teach their children their faiths too. School is to teach literacy and arithmetic, too, and skills for the performance of a persons’ duties. It is every person’s duty to worship God!

The proposition that schools can be separated from religion to assume an indifferent and impartial position is nonsense on its face. A clever but ill-intentioned ploy to subtlety supplant religion and enforce Atheism.That is to say, ‘secularism is is a byword State Atheism. See: Education in the US of America.

So you may think. I’ve been perfectly fine without any religion and I can’t see myself existing otherwise.
| STATE OF EUDEA
MT pseudoparadisal island nation in the Pacific, calmly weathering the world.
The Nation  Civil Protection Drugs and Illegal Substances officers publicly congratulated on major drug bust // Eudean black tea named the national hot drink

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General