NATION

PASSWORD

Are we senselessly abandoning tradition? A nostalgia debate.

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

User avatar
Spiritual Republic of Caryton
Envoy
 
Posts: 248
Founded: Jun 25, 2019
Moralistic Democracy

Postby Spiritual Republic of Caryton » Tue May 12, 2020 8:33 pm

Cekoviu wrote:snip


Opinions will obviously vary on these matters from person to person. The first claim I made in your quote was by personal experience and what I've seen. Based on my age and location, I've clearly not seen a lot, I'll give you that much.

There are people who believe in civil unions, marriage, celibacy, or maybe even a hypothetical space orgy. If they do not press their views on others (through means of acting against them), why should there be animosity towards this "other side of the coin".

I personally believe that we should all be the better people and ban those words, even for the people entitled to adopt and say them-- for the betterment of us all and so the edgy white supremacists don't have anything to moan about.
***The Spiritual Republic of Caryton - The FIRST pet tribute nation!***
In tribute to my childhood Golden Retriever, Cary. She lived 11 years of joy and love.
A restorationist christian nation with no separation between church and state and its own unique denomination. The national figure and defacto head of state is Cary the Golden Retriever, famed for so-called prophetic abilities and miracle-working. The Gospel Church of Caryton is the unique state religion.
|| 17 yo Latter-day Saint, gay male in Arizona with a love of Golden Retrievers and everything nice! ||
Trinity Broadcasting Network of Caryton: [5-2-20] Gospel Church of Caryton refuses to re-open the country until June 20. Heat wave strikes Georgine with 95F when summer around 80.

User avatar
Sadakoyama
Envoy
 
Posts: 319
Founded: Jun 22, 2006
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Sadakoyama » Tue May 12, 2020 8:33 pm

Spiritual Republic of Caryton wrote:
Sadakoyama wrote:If you think any time in the past was without turmoil, you're woefully naive. And f*ck "tradition".


...merits that aren't common today.


Like what? Ibet most of them didn't even exist outside nostalgic rose-coloured lenses.
Sadakoyama - We're not Communist.

User avatar
Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post Overlord
 
Posts: 191921
Founded: Feb 10, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Tue May 12, 2020 8:34 pm

Spiritual Republic of Caryton wrote:
Cekoviu wrote:snip


Opinions will obviously vary on these matters from person to person. The first claim I made in your quote was by personal experience and what I've seen. Based on my age and location, I've clearly not seen a lot, I'll give you that much.

There are people who believe in civil unions, marriage, celibacy, or maybe even a hypothetical space orgy. If they do not press their views on others (through means of acting against them), why should there be animosity towards this "other side of the coin".

I personally believe that we should all be the better people and ban those words, even for the people entitled to adopt and say them-- for the betterment of us all and so the edgy white supremacists don't have anything to moan about.


The problem is that some of those people have used the power of the institutions that cater to their belief systems to attempt at “pressing” their views on others. Is not as simple as you make it. The animosity oftentimes is warranted, or at least very understandable.
Code name: Ratatouille Strychnine
Also: THERNSY!!
Your story isn't over;֍Help save transgender people's lives֍Help for feral cats
Cat with internet access||Heartless, ''transgendered non-binary kawaii Chan'', & a d*ck.||No TGs
RIP: Dyakovo & Ashmoria

User avatar
Spiritual Republic of Caryton
Envoy
 
Posts: 248
Founded: Jun 25, 2019
Moralistic Democracy

Postby Spiritual Republic of Caryton » Tue May 12, 2020 8:35 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
Cekoviu wrote:You're a dead person (your entire subspecies is extinct, actually) and you're kind of peer pressuring us to not follow traditions, so...


But must you be so brutal to Ug?!


Because Ug make fire.

No, but seriously. Sensibility lies for me in "does it harm people". If it harms the people, we should change it rather than smash it, save things like blatant supremacy. However, what people don't think about is "does abandoning something relatively harmless or escapeable via opt out hurt those still practicing it?"
***The Spiritual Republic of Caryton - The FIRST pet tribute nation!***
In tribute to my childhood Golden Retriever, Cary. She lived 11 years of joy and love.
A restorationist christian nation with no separation between church and state and its own unique denomination. The national figure and defacto head of state is Cary the Golden Retriever, famed for so-called prophetic abilities and miracle-working. The Gospel Church of Caryton is the unique state religion.
|| 17 yo Latter-day Saint, gay male in Arizona with a love of Golden Retrievers and everything nice! ||
Trinity Broadcasting Network of Caryton: [5-2-20] Gospel Church of Caryton refuses to re-open the country until June 20. Heat wave strikes Georgine with 95F when summer around 80.

User avatar
Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post Overlord
 
Posts: 191921
Founded: Feb 10, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Tue May 12, 2020 8:37 pm

Spiritual Republic of Caryton wrote:
Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
But must you be so brutal to Ug?!


Because Ug make fire.

No, but seriously. Sensibility lies for me in "does it harm people". If it harms the people, we should change it rather than smash it, save things like blatant supremacy. However, what people don't think about is "does abandoning something relatively harmless or escapeable via opt out hurt those still practicing it?"


There are casualties of thought and practice whenever societies change views. It’s inevitable.
Code name: Ratatouille Strychnine
Also: THERNSY!!
Your story isn't over;֍Help save transgender people's lives֍Help for feral cats
Cat with internet access||Heartless, ''transgendered non-binary kawaii Chan'', & a d*ck.||No TGs
RIP: Dyakovo & Ashmoria

User avatar
Cekoviu
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 15157
Founded: Oct 18, 2017
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Cekoviu » Tue May 12, 2020 8:37 pm

Spiritual Republic of Caryton wrote:Opinions will obviously vary on these matters from person to person. The first claim I made in your quote was by personal experience and what I've seen. Based on my age and location, I've clearly not seen a lot, I'll give you that much.

A bunch of different religions promote reasonable traditional morality. It is absolutely not just the Mormon church (and often isn't -- take it from someone who lives in Utah and grew up Mormon).
There are people who believe in civil unions, marriage, celibacy, or maybe even a hypothetical space orgy. If they do not press their views on others (through means of acting against them), why should there be animosity towards this "other side of the coin".

If homophobic gay people aren't trying to press their homophobia on other gay people, sure, but that's very rarely the case.
I personally believe that we should all be the better people and ban those words, even for the people entitled to adopt and say them-- for the betterment of us all and so the edgy white supremacists don't have anything to moan about.

It makes it kind of difficult to talk about various words if we can't actually mention the words. It's especially bad for dictionary writers and linguists. Anyway, I don't really see the point. Like, you can totally make hate crime legislation without completely banning specific words.
NSG's favorite tsundere & crypto-fascist extraordinaire (ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧
#BringBackTannuTuva
Torrocca wrote:"Your honor, it was not mein fault! I didn't order the systematic genocide of millions of people, it was the twenty kilograms of pure-cut Bavarian cocaine that did it!"
Liriena wrote:anyone to the left of Pinochet: *exists*

right-wingers: wat about vuvuzelaaa lmao gottem

User avatar
Menassa
Post Czar
 
Posts: 33656
Founded: Aug 11, 2010
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Menassa » Tue May 12, 2020 8:38 pm

Dan Carlin has a line about the Good ole Days that were never really Good... I forget it now... I wish things were like the good ole days when my memory worked.
Radical Monotheist
Their hollow inheritance.
This is my god and I shall exalt him
Jewish Discussion Thread בְּ
"A missionary uses the Bible like a drunk uses a lamppost, not so much for illumination, but for support"
"Imagine of a bunch of Zulu tribesmen told Congress how to read the Constitution, that's how it feels to a Jew when you tell us how to read our bible"
"God said: you must teach, as I taught, without a fee."
"Against your will you are formed, against your will you are born, against your will you live, against your will you die, and against your will you are destined to give a judgement and accounting before the king, king of all kings..."

User avatar
New haven america
Post Czar
 
Posts: 36018
Founded: Oct 08, 2012
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby New haven america » Tue May 12, 2020 8:38 pm

Is a tradition bad/has had mostly negative effects or exists to needlessly make something more complicated? Yes?

Then good, it deserves to be gotten rid of.
Last edited by New haven america on Tue May 12, 2020 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Human of the male variety
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2020

That's all folks~

User avatar
Spiritual Republic of Caryton
Envoy
 
Posts: 248
Founded: Jun 25, 2019
Moralistic Democracy

Postby Spiritual Republic of Caryton » Tue May 12, 2020 8:38 pm

Sadakoyama wrote:
Spiritual Republic of Caryton wrote:
...merits that aren't common today.


Like what? Ibet most of them didn't even exist outside nostalgic rose-coloured lenses.


Some of them may not exist beyond those rose-colored lenses, some of them may be chaotically dark. I'd like to reference what Nanatsu said about escapism. Present times blow, we've established that much. We've established that the exponential change has made a lot of people unhappy, and the past has also made a lot of people unhappy. Maybe violent cartoons or the milkman (pointless as he is) are what we need, even if we do not wish to include the negative stigma like having kids now swordfight with sticks on the street or having the milk be watered down so ol' Joe makes a quick buck.
***The Spiritual Republic of Caryton - The FIRST pet tribute nation!***
In tribute to my childhood Golden Retriever, Cary. She lived 11 years of joy and love.
A restorationist christian nation with no separation between church and state and its own unique denomination. The national figure and defacto head of state is Cary the Golden Retriever, famed for so-called prophetic abilities and miracle-working. The Gospel Church of Caryton is the unique state religion.
|| 17 yo Latter-day Saint, gay male in Arizona with a love of Golden Retrievers and everything nice! ||
Trinity Broadcasting Network of Caryton: [5-2-20] Gospel Church of Caryton refuses to re-open the country until June 20. Heat wave strikes Georgine with 95F when summer around 80.

User avatar
Spiritual Republic of Caryton
Envoy
 
Posts: 248
Founded: Jun 25, 2019
Moralistic Democracy

Postby Spiritual Republic of Caryton » Tue May 12, 2020 8:39 pm

Menassa wrote:Dan Carlin has a line about the Good ole Days that were never really Good... I forget it now... I wish things were like the good ole days when my memory worked.


I think it was from Keepin' The Faith by Billy Joel?

The good ol' days weren't always good, tomorrow ain't as bad as it seems
***The Spiritual Republic of Caryton - The FIRST pet tribute nation!***
In tribute to my childhood Golden Retriever, Cary. She lived 11 years of joy and love.
A restorationist christian nation with no separation between church and state and its own unique denomination. The national figure and defacto head of state is Cary the Golden Retriever, famed for so-called prophetic abilities and miracle-working. The Gospel Church of Caryton is the unique state religion.
|| 17 yo Latter-day Saint, gay male in Arizona with a love of Golden Retrievers and everything nice! ||
Trinity Broadcasting Network of Caryton: [5-2-20] Gospel Church of Caryton refuses to re-open the country until June 20. Heat wave strikes Georgine with 95F when summer around 80.

User avatar
Giovenith
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 19933
Founded: Feb 08, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Giovenith » Tue May 12, 2020 8:41 pm

The original run of "The Twilight Zone" has an episode called, "A Stop at Willoughby." It follows a business man who is unhappy with life, constantly bullied by at work and at home alike, until while on the train he starts to have visions of a quaint 1880s town called Willoughby, where everyone is treats him kindly. The man tries to tell his wife about it and waxes nostalgia in general about how people these days are so fast-paced, mean, and cold, and how he wishes things could be more like they were back in the past, where people were neighborly, peaceful, and took life slowly, like in Willoughby. The episode culminates with him deciding to stay in Willoughby, happily planning to join some boys on a fishing trip and attend a local fair, but this vision fades away to us seeing the man dead in the snow. According to the conductor, the man had jumped from the train while mumbling something about a "Willoughby" and was killed instantly, with no one understanding what he meant. His body is then loaded up into a van marked, "Willoughby & Son Funeral."

Consider this episode, made all the way back in the time of black and white TV, and then consider how now-a-days, men often say the same things about the time period that the man of the episode was originally from. People waxing nostalgia about how back in the 1950s and early 60s people were so much more neighborly, peaceful, and took life slowly, unlike now... then you look at a story from the 50s/60s, of an unhappy and suicidal man waxing nostalgia about how people in the 1880s were so much more neighborly, peaceful, and took life slowly, unlike now.

The past was not happier. It was not more peaceful, people were not nicer, things were not better. You only think of it that way because you are afraid of the chaos of the present and the past seems inherently orderly because you already know what to expect from it. Humans also tend to airbrush memories as time goes by, forget all the bad bits and magnify the good bits, as a matter of mental wellbeing. But you have to keep that part of yourself in check, because when you try to bring the past back to life, chances are you're going to wind up bringing back more than just the good bits.

If you have the time, I would recommend listening to this talk about the supposed "good old days." It's a cold, splash in the face reminder about what was actually going on "back in the good old days," and how we can find happiness not by clinging to tradition, but by seeking improvement and holding onto things because they are good, not because they are old.
Senior P2TM Mentor & Moderator
#EndChildMarriage In the U.S. #18NoExceptions
Art and Writing

User avatar
The Iron Wizards of Blacktower
Secretary
 
Posts: 34
Founded: May 10, 2020
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby The Iron Wizards of Blacktower » Tue May 12, 2020 8:42 pm

Obviously we need to return to Greek tradition and pair my teen self up with a fine knight

User avatar
Spiritual Republic of Caryton
Envoy
 
Posts: 248
Founded: Jun 25, 2019
Moralistic Democracy

Postby Spiritual Republic of Caryton » Tue May 12, 2020 8:43 pm

New haven america wrote:Is a tradition bad/has had mostly negative effects or exists to needlessly make something more complicated? Yes?

Then good, it deserves to be gotten rid of.


That can be weaponized by fringe atheists to get rid of religion, and can be used by religious fundamentalists to get rid of doubters and push their agenda. This is the problem that I'm referencing, the fact that we evolve and forget and walk over things without batting an eye or considering the merits to [insert ideology or agenda] or the fact that overlooking something harmless in the face of "progression" will still hurt a lot of people. If you hurt 30 people, you committed assault. If you hurt 300, you committed assault.

A good reference/semi-source for this is the Narita Airport struggle. Japanese government evicted an elderly woman from her house and rapidly bought peasant farmland held for generations to construct an airport on the farmland. This obviously caused leftist fringe groups to strike back. The rioting and forts they made was pretty cool, but the airport still suffers from occasional guerrilla attacks to this day.

Does the airport benefit Tokyo? Yes. Was it ruthless and inconsiderate to the people already living there? Incredibly.
***The Spiritual Republic of Caryton - The FIRST pet tribute nation!***
In tribute to my childhood Golden Retriever, Cary. She lived 11 years of joy and love.
A restorationist christian nation with no separation between church and state and its own unique denomination. The national figure and defacto head of state is Cary the Golden Retriever, famed for so-called prophetic abilities and miracle-working. The Gospel Church of Caryton is the unique state religion.
|| 17 yo Latter-day Saint, gay male in Arizona with a love of Golden Retrievers and everything nice! ||
Trinity Broadcasting Network of Caryton: [5-2-20] Gospel Church of Caryton refuses to re-open the country until June 20. Heat wave strikes Georgine with 95F when summer around 80.

User avatar
New haven america
Post Czar
 
Posts: 36018
Founded: Oct 08, 2012
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby New haven america » Tue May 12, 2020 8:44 pm

Menassa wrote:Dan Carlin has a line about the Good ole Days that were never really Good... I forget it now... I wish things were like the good ole days when my memory worked.

People tend to remember the good aspects of the Good ole Days while conveniently ignoring the bad.

This 80's revival trend for example, painting the 80's as a wonderful time of vaporwave and endless childhoods when really it was fraught with economic uncertainty, rampant racism/sexism/homophobia was still the norm, a conservative government in the US was taking the first steps needed to kill the middle class and actively trying to kill its LGBT population with the AIDS crisis, etc...

Or how people nowadays want a return to the Bush Era because of how bad Trump's been, even though Bush nearly economically destroyed the country, started 2 seemingly endless wars, and signed off on the Patriot Act.
Last edited by New haven america on Tue May 12, 2020 8:52 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Human of the male variety
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2020

That's all folks~

User avatar
Swiss Empirical
Lobbyist
 
Posts: 23
Founded: May 06, 2020
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Swiss Empirical » Tue May 12, 2020 8:45 pm

Yes.

Don't like it? Storm the streets. Or vote. Whichever brings about change sooner.
✠ ✠✠ ✠

✠ ✠✠ ✠
✚ The New Swiss Confederate ✚ | Hire Swiss Mercenaries
Because we can no longer afford to be apathetic in the face of rising evil. Swiss values must be made European values, no matter the cost.
"Evil Triumphs When The Swiss Do Nothing." | "Das Böse triumphiert, wenn die Schweizer nichts tun."
 = New Journal of Zürich - May 2020: [...] New Swiss Council for the Geneva Protocol ressemble to celebrate the birthday of Henry Dunant, founder of the Red Cross and the Geneva Conventions. [...] 

User avatar
South Odreria 2
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1511
Founded: Aug 26, 2019
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby South Odreria 2 » Tue May 12, 2020 8:47 pm

New haven america wrote:
Menassa wrote:Dan Carlin has a line about the Good ole Days that were never really Good... I forget it now... I wish things were like the good ole days when my memory worked.

People tend to remember the good aspects of the Good ole Days while conveniently ignoring the bad.

This 80's revival trend for example, painting the 80's as a wonderful time when really it was fraught with economic uncertainty, rampant racism/sexism/homophobia was still the norm, a conservative government in the US taking the first steps to kill the middle class and actively trying to kill its LGBT population with the AIDS crisis, etc...

Or how people nowadays want a return to the Bush Era because of how bad Trump's been, even though Bush nearly economically destroyed the country, started 2 seemingly endless wars, and signed off on the Patriot Act.

Could you kill my 90s nostalgia as well?
Valrifell wrote:
Disregard whatever this poster says

Centrist Marxist, according to LeftValues

User avatar
Spiritual Republic of Caryton
Envoy
 
Posts: 248
Founded: Jun 25, 2019
Moralistic Democracy

Postby Spiritual Republic of Caryton » Tue May 12, 2020 8:50 pm

Giovenith wrote:The original run of "The Twilight Zone" has an episode called, "A Stop at Willoughby." It follows a business man who is unhappy with life, constantly bullied by at work and at home alike, until while on the train he starts to have visions of a quaint 1880s town called Willoughby, where everyone is treats him kindly. The man tries to tell his wife about it and waxes nostalgia in general about how people these days are so fast-paced, mean, and cold, and how he wishes things could be more like they were back in the past, where people were neighborly, peaceful, and took life slowly, like in Willoughby. The episode culminates with him deciding to stay in Willoughby, happily planning to join some boys on a fishing trip and attend a local fair, but this vision fades away to us seeing the man dead in the snow. According to the conductor, the man had jumped from the train while mumbling something about a "Willoughby" and was killed instantly, with no one understanding what he meant. His body is then loaded up into a van marked, "Willoughby & Son Funeral."

Consider this episode, made all the way back in the time of black and white TV, and then consider how now-a-days, men often say the same things about the time period that the man of the episode was originally from. People waxing nostalgia about how back in the 1950s and early 60s people were so much more neighborly, peaceful, and took life slowly, unlike now... then you look at a story from the 50s/60s, of an unhappy and suicidal man waxing nostalgia about how people in the 1880s were so much more neighborly, peaceful, and took life slowly, unlike now.

The past was not happier. It was not more peaceful, people were not nicer, things were not better. You only think of it that way because you are afraid of the chaos of the present and the past seems inherently orderly because you already know what to expect from it. Humans also tend to airbrush memories as time goes by, forget all the bad bits and magnify the good bits, as a matter of mental wellbeing. But you have to keep that part of yourself in check, because when you try to bring the past back to life, chances are you're going to wind up bringing back more than just the good bits.

If you have the time, I would recommend listening to this talk about the supposed "good old days." It's a cold, splash in the face reminder about what was actually going on "back in the good old days," and how we can find happiness not by clinging to tradition, but by seeking improvement and holding onto things because they are good, not because they are old.


That was wisely said of you. I understand this "have your cake and eat it too" solution of bringing back traditional values but making them inclusive won't prevent everything. One radio station of a godly man, an organist, and an opera singer-- 15 minutes of hymns and prayer, have left me tearfully wanting my own Willoughby. The difference here is that people are now so caught up in abandoning the old, forgetfully trampling on things that are both old and good-- things that I desired in my OP. There are often times discussions about a future with no religion. Despite this future being so advanced and prosperous, the cynical removal of faith and (likely) mental bigotry of anyone remotely spiritual by the somehow intellectual populace serves as a cold reminder to me. Those kinds of dystopias are Willoughby, but in absolute reverse. Meant to fear-monger the future. Orgasmically lusted by the radicals who want to stomp on faith until it dies like a worm, feared by those who are already used to being denounced. George Orwell sometimes hinted at this in 1984, where all feelings were devoted to the Party. No love, no memories-- only patriotism. I concede that this future (grimly relatable to present day in my honest opinion) should be feared, especially by those who feel like nostalgia is evil.
***The Spiritual Republic of Caryton - The FIRST pet tribute nation!***
In tribute to my childhood Golden Retriever, Cary. She lived 11 years of joy and love.
A restorationist christian nation with no separation between church and state and its own unique denomination. The national figure and defacto head of state is Cary the Golden Retriever, famed for so-called prophetic abilities and miracle-working. The Gospel Church of Caryton is the unique state religion.
|| 17 yo Latter-day Saint, gay male in Arizona with a love of Golden Retrievers and everything nice! ||
Trinity Broadcasting Network of Caryton: [5-2-20] Gospel Church of Caryton refuses to re-open the country until June 20. Heat wave strikes Georgine with 95F when summer around 80.

User avatar
Sadakoyama
Envoy
 
Posts: 319
Founded: Jun 22, 2006
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Sadakoyama » Tue May 12, 2020 8:52 pm

Spiritual Republic of Caryton wrote:
Sadakoyama wrote:
Like what? Ibet most of them didn't even exist outside nostalgic rose-coloured lenses.


Some of them may not exist beyond those rose-colored lenses, some of them may be chaotically dark. I'd like to reference what Nanatsu said about escapism. Present times blow, we've established that much. We've established that the exponential change has made a lot of people unhappy, and the past has also made a lot of people unhappy. Maybe violent cartoons or the milkman (pointless as he is) are what we need, even if we do not wish to include the negative stigma like having kids now swordfight with sticks on the street or having the milk be watered down so ol' Joe makes a quick buck.


If you read history, nearly everyone thiks their present times blow. For instance; food safety is verifiably exponentially better these days than it was a century ago, whatever your perception of milk quality. As for violent entertainment, as late as the 1920s it was considered good family fun to take the kids to a public lynching of an innocent black man. People complain that entertainment is simultaneously depraved and yet throttled by "PC Culture".

The one shining truth of human experience of their present culture is that our perceptions, for every single one of us, are limited, biased, error-ridden, and incomplete. Change is the only constant. "The world" changed just as rapidly and dramatically for our parents and grandparents as it has for us. My father was born before television, the atom bomb, and his childhood home didn't have indoor plumbing; all things I took for granted.
Sadakoyama - We're not Communist.

User avatar
Spiritual Republic of Caryton
Envoy
 
Posts: 248
Founded: Jun 25, 2019
Moralistic Democracy

Postby Spiritual Republic of Caryton » Tue May 12, 2020 8:54 pm

Sadakoyama wrote:
Spiritual Republic of Caryton wrote:
Some of them may not exist beyond those rose-colored lenses, some of them may be chaotically dark. I'd like to reference what Nanatsu said about escapism. Present times blow, we've established that much. We've established that the exponential change has made a lot of people unhappy, and the past has also made a lot of people unhappy. Maybe violent cartoons or the milkman (pointless as he is) are what we need, even if we do not wish to include the negative stigma like having kids now swordfight with sticks on the street or having the milk be watered down so ol' Joe makes a quick buck.


If you read history, nearly everyone thiks their present times blow. For instance; food safety is verifiably exponentially better these days than it was a century ago, whatever your perception of milk quality. As for violent entertainment, as late as the 1920s it was considered good family fun to take the kids to a public lynching of an innocent black man. People complain that entertainment is simultaneously depraved and yet throttled by "PC Culture".

The one shining truth of human experience of their present culture is that our perceptions, for every single one of us, are limited, biased, error-ridden, and incomplete. Change is the only constant. "The world" changed just as rapidly and dramatically for our parents and grandparents as it has for us. My father was born before television, the atom bomb, and his childhood home didn't have indoor plumbing; all things I took for granted.


Utopia for one, dystopia for another. Called a bigot for a desire for morality, praised as a hero for defending godly values. Eurasia has always been the enemy, or has it been Eastasia?
***The Spiritual Republic of Caryton - The FIRST pet tribute nation!***
In tribute to my childhood Golden Retriever, Cary. She lived 11 years of joy and love.
A restorationist christian nation with no separation between church and state and its own unique denomination. The national figure and defacto head of state is Cary the Golden Retriever, famed for so-called prophetic abilities and miracle-working. The Gospel Church of Caryton is the unique state religion.
|| 17 yo Latter-day Saint, gay male in Arizona with a love of Golden Retrievers and everything nice! ||
Trinity Broadcasting Network of Caryton: [5-2-20] Gospel Church of Caryton refuses to re-open the country until June 20. Heat wave strikes Georgine with 95F when summer around 80.

User avatar
Autumn Wind
Diplomat
 
Posts: 630
Founded: Feb 09, 2009
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Autumn Wind » Tue May 12, 2020 8:55 pm

“Kids these days have no respect!” - Every generation ever.
Your faith does not amuse me. Fundamentalism is a singularly unfunny disposition- A Rightist Puppet

In short, "fascist" is a modern word for "heretic," branding an individual worthy of excommunication from the body politic. The right uses otherwords ("reverse-racist," "feminazi," "unamerican," "communist") for similiar purposes, but these words have less elastic meanings. Fascism, however, is the gift that keeps on giving. - Jonah Goldberg, revisited.

User avatar
Neanderthaland
Negotiator
 
Posts: 5303
Founded: Sep 10, 2016
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Neanderthaland » Tue May 12, 2020 8:55 pm

Spiritual Republic of Caryton wrote:
Giovenith wrote:The original run of "The Twilight Zone" has an episode called, "A Stop at Willoughby." It follows a business man who is unhappy with life, constantly bullied by at work and at home alike, until while on the train he starts to have visions of a quaint 1880s town called Willoughby, where everyone is treats him kindly. The man tries to tell his wife about it and waxes nostalgia in general about how people these days are so fast-paced, mean, and cold, and how he wishes things could be more like they were back in the past, where people were neighborly, peaceful, and took life slowly, like in Willoughby. The episode culminates with him deciding to stay in Willoughby, happily planning to join some boys on a fishing trip and attend a local fair, but this vision fades away to us seeing the man dead in the snow. According to the conductor, the man had jumped from the train while mumbling something about a "Willoughby" and was killed instantly, with no one understanding what he meant. His body is then loaded up into a van marked, "Willoughby & Son Funeral."

Consider this episode, made all the way back in the time of black and white TV, and then consider how now-a-days, men often say the same things about the time period that the man of the episode was originally from. People waxing nostalgia about how back in the 1950s and early 60s people were so much more neighborly, peaceful, and took life slowly, unlike now... then you look at a story from the 50s/60s, of an unhappy and suicidal man waxing nostalgia about how people in the 1880s were so much more neighborly, peaceful, and took life slowly, unlike now.

The past was not happier. It was not more peaceful, people were not nicer, things were not better. You only think of it that way because you are afraid of the chaos of the present and the past seems inherently orderly because you already know what to expect from it. Humans also tend to airbrush memories as time goes by, forget all the bad bits and magnify the good bits, as a matter of mental wellbeing. But you have to keep that part of yourself in check, because when you try to bring the past back to life, chances are you're going to wind up bringing back more than just the good bits.

If you have the time, I would recommend listening to this talk about the supposed "good old days." It's a cold, splash in the face reminder about what was actually going on "back in the good old days," and how we can find happiness not by clinging to tradition, but by seeking improvement and holding onto things because they are good, not because they are old.


That was wisely said of you. I understand this "have your cake and eat it too" solution of bringing back traditional values but making them inclusive won't prevent everything. One radio station of a godly man, an organist, and an opera singer-- 15 minutes of hymns and prayer, have left me tearfully wanting my own Willoughby. The difference here is that people are now so caught up in abandoning the old, forgetfully trampling on things that are both old and good-- things that I desired in my OP. There are often times discussions about a future with no religion. Despite this future being so advanced and prosperous, the cynical removal of faith and (likely) mental bigotry of anyone remotely spiritual by the somehow intellectual populace serves as a cold reminder to me. Those kinds of dystopias are Willoughby, but in absolute reverse. Meant to fear-monger the future. Orgasmically lusted by the radicals who want to stomp on faith until it dies like a worm, feared by those who are already used to being denounced. George Orwell sometimes hinted at this in 1984, where all feelings were devoted to the Party. No love, no memories-- only patriotism. I concede that this future (grimly relatable to present day in my honest opinion) should be feared, especially by those who feel like nostalgia is evil.

Nostalgia is not evil. Nostalgia is fine. Nostalgia is why 80s moves are suddenly really popular.

Being delusional is not evil either, but it is very rarely helpful. And usually harmful. And having a rose-colored view of the past, and of reactionaryism, is delusional.
Ug make fire. Mod ban Ug.

User avatar
Geneviev
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 11948
Founded: Mar 03, 2018
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Geneviev » Tue May 12, 2020 8:56 pm

I'll be honest, I don't know if some of those problems even exist. Anyway, there were a lot of problems in the 60s and 70s too. People just can't get things right. If there is one change that I am concerned about, it is that religions are being used to control people now. Other than that, progress is a good thing. Without the Internet, I would not be able to do school right now. Tradition isn't always better.
Pro: Music, education, Christianity, socialism, secularism, Mozart
Anti: Capitalism, fascism, religious interference in government, Beethoven

User avatar
Spiritual Republic of Caryton
Envoy
 
Posts: 248
Founded: Jun 25, 2019
Moralistic Democracy

Postby Spiritual Republic of Caryton » Tue May 12, 2020 8:57 pm

Geneviev wrote:I'll be honest, I don't know if some of those problems even exist. Anyway, there were a lot of problems in the 60s and 70s too. People just can't get things right. If there is one change that I am concerned about, it is that religions are being used to control people now. Other than that, progress is a good thing. Without the Internet, I would not be able to do school right now. Tradition isn't always better.


At least my AP Bio test is open note now and I can always just open up the other browser for questions.
***The Spiritual Republic of Caryton - The FIRST pet tribute nation!***
In tribute to my childhood Golden Retriever, Cary. She lived 11 years of joy and love.
A restorationist christian nation with no separation between church and state and its own unique denomination. The national figure and defacto head of state is Cary the Golden Retriever, famed for so-called prophetic abilities and miracle-working. The Gospel Church of Caryton is the unique state religion.
|| 17 yo Latter-day Saint, gay male in Arizona with a love of Golden Retrievers and everything nice! ||
Trinity Broadcasting Network of Caryton: [5-2-20] Gospel Church of Caryton refuses to re-open the country until June 20. Heat wave strikes Georgine with 95F when summer around 80.

User avatar
Plzen
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 8772
Founded: Mar 19, 2014
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Plzen » Tue May 12, 2020 8:59 pm

There has never been a better time to be alive and no amount of conservatives whining “but what about the tradition~~~” will convince me otherwise.

The people who today use their arbitrary moral judgements and emotional outrage to try and oppose the logical and inevitable results of a socially freer, economically more prosperous, and technologically more advanced society are no different from people who a Century or two ago thought that it was outrageously immoral for women to ride bicycles.

Unless society stops advancing for some reason (nuclear war and climate change both seem like plausible possibilities nowadays), the current generation of moral outrage whiners will go exactly where all the previous generation of moral outrage whiners went; that is to say, since people don’t live forever, them and most people who agree with them will die, and the new generations with newer ideals can move forwards without them.
Forward, my comrades, march to your stations,
Righteous and proud! Win, we most surely can.
This is a triumph of peace and of nations,
A dawn of friendship for all people of man!

User avatar
Region of Dwipantara
Spokesperson
 
Posts: 200
Founded: Dec 12, 2019
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Region of Dwipantara » Tue May 12, 2020 9:00 pm

The past isn't always that good either. I for one loathe the past military dictatorship era where corruption is rampant, obedience culture is enforced, mass murder is praised, people are super superstitious, yes-man attitude gets you going and my grandpa was almost jailed because he fought corruption in a state-owned company. Nope, fuck that.
☪︎ Province No. 14 of the Islamic Caliphate – 14 الخلافة الإسلامية منطقة‎ ☪︎
Home | Government | Policy | Contact


This sig is hacked by the FABULOUS #y0uNG_fOX3S. ¡RESTORE THE REPUBLIC, DESTROY THE KHILAFAH! Join the Alliance and the Fox today and make Dwipantara merdeka again! ^OwO^
Selasa, 1418-DZQ-02 / Tuesday, 1998-MAR-03 CAKRAWALA NEWS | N.U. published fatwa declaring anyone who likes to 'brand other people as apostate' as apostate | Health Chief Najsir contracted MERS after experimentation with his alternative "Islamic medicine" made of "camel derivative"

Featured article: Revolutionary Songs | Do not listen to the flat-earthers imperialists, read the TRUE factbooks of our province here, exclusive on Cakrawala

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: An Alan Smithee Nation, Enormous Gentiles, Fractalnavel, Lanoraie II, Majestic-12 [Bot], Shanghai industrial complex, The Blaatschapen, The Grims, Washington Resistance Army, West Cornelia

Advertisement

Remove ads

cron