NATION

PASSWORD

MAGAThread XIX: Hambergers, Noble Prizes, & Disinfectant

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Brunswick-upon-Raritan
Diplomat

Founded: May 15, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Brunswick-upon-Raritan » Fri May 22, 2020 3:05 pm

Diopolis wrote:
Bienenhalde wrote:
Yes, most of the Christians I know support the lockdown and streamed services over the internet. Of course the Christian I know mostly don't support Trump. As to what pro-Trump types think, I can only make educated guesses.

There may or may not be support for lockdowns, depending on the individual, but most are opposed to keeping dispensaries open while shutting churches down.
Abbot was- and is- a popular man among the pro-Trump religious right for declaring that churches are essential, even as the vast majority of them shut down anyway.

A lot of people would rather have the dispensaries stay open while keeping the kibosh on large public gatherings... I don’t think churches should host services just because dispensaries or liquor stores are open.
“Brave as the battle roll of drum,
Strong as the surf when tempests come,
Throbbed all of Jersey’s hearts of oak,
When war upon the Jerseys broke.”

CyberNations class of 2007
Former Nation | Never Forget | Support Our Troops
...got milk? ;) Drink Pepsi, Defeat Communism

Solomons Land
Diplomat

Founded: May 16, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Solomons Land » Fri May 22, 2020 3:06 pm

Spiders about to ambush you wrote:I think only Churches with a high view of the Sacraments (Catholic, Lutheran, Anglican, Orthodox, etc.) should have the choice to open, but should still adhere to social distancing regulations. I say this because to us who hold the Sacraments highly, the worst thing about not going to Church isn't "praying" or reading the Bible, it's not receiving God's Grace. You can't receive communion or baptism at home, but you can read and pray at home just fine. If anything, most churches should still continue online services.

Just an opinion.

That would be preferencing some religious groups over others, which is a big no-no.
Generation 31: enter this into your signature and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
This statement is false.

Katganistan
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Katganistan » Fri May 22, 2020 3:06 pm

The Huskar Social Union wrote:He is trying to get religious rightwing people to continue voting for him. He is "defending" their christian freedom from the oppression of the liberal atheist elite governors or what ever bollocks.

End of the day Churches are not essential. Their function can easily be performed at home and until this epidemic has ended or is nearing its end they should remain closed. In the mean time religious folks can pray in their homes and endanger no one in the process.

The NY archdiocese and the archdiocese of Brooklyn and Queens agree and closed the churches, telling parishioners to view televised services instead. They've also put forward a plan for opening gradually in the coming weeks for private prayer and confession -- with more to follow as the number of cases continues to decline.

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Founded: Oct 07, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Fri May 22, 2020 3:07 pm

Solomons Land wrote:
Thermodolia wrote:The usual suspects aka the super religious conservatives. Ya know the same ones who got their panties in a twist over gays getting married and red Christmas cups from an overpriced coffee shop

This quote seems to suggest that you believe "the same ones who got their panties in a twist over gays getting married" are universally, or near universally against stay at home orders because they believe "this is an attempt to persecute Christians" which is false.

You are still refusing to read my post. You’ve deliberately ignored the part where I said it’s about those who think gays getting married is the end of the world, and not those who disagree with it or think it’s bad.

There’s a lot of difference between thinking X is the end of the world ala WBC and disagreeing with X and thinking it’s bad.

Besides you decided to single out one half of my post to argue against it because it was easier than admitting you misread.
Last edited by Thermodolia on Fri May 22, 2020 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Male, Jewish, lives somewhere in AZ, Disabled US Military Veteran, Oorah!, I'm GAY!
I'm agent #69 in the Gaystapo!
>The Sons of Adam: I'd crown myself monarch... cuz why not?
>>Dumb Ideologies: Why not turn yourself into a penguin and build an igloo at the centre of the Earth?
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Godular
Forum Moderator

Founded: Sep 09, 2004
New York Times Democracy

Postby Godular » Fri May 22, 2020 3:07 pm

You know, I'd swear that 'God helps those who help themselves' is an important saying in religious circles, but too many people act as if simple faith in God is sufficient to gird them from harm even if they do willfully stupid stuff like gathering in a crowd and totally ignoring safety measures.

Please understand this isn't saying ALL religious folks are like that, and not necessarily even a majority... even if the relative number of offending persons is small, it's still too damn many.
Last edited by Godular on Fri May 22, 2020 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Now the moderation team really IS Godmoding.
Step 1: One-Stop Rules Shop. Step 2: ctrl+f. Step 3: Type in what you saw in modbox. Step 4: Don't do it again.
New to F7? Click here!

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Fri May 22, 2020 3:08 pm

Katganistan wrote:
The Huskar Social Union wrote:He is trying to get religious rightwing people to continue voting for him. He is "defending" their christian freedom from the oppression of the liberal atheist elite governors or what ever bollocks.

End of the day Churches are not essential. Their function can easily be performed at home and until this epidemic has ended or is nearing its end they should remain closed. In the mean time religious folks can pray in their homes and endanger no one in the process.

The NY archdiocese and the archdiocese of Brooklyn and Queens agree and closed the churches, telling parishioners to view televised services instead. They've also put forward a plan for opening gradually in the coming weeks for private prayer and confession -- with more to follow as the number of cases continues to decline.

The Archdiocese of Atlanta has done the same.
Male, Jewish, lives somewhere in AZ, Disabled US Military Veteran, Oorah!, I'm GAY!
>>Dumb Ideologies: Why not turn yourself into a penguin and build an igloo at the centre of the Earth?
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Spiders about to ambush you
Political Columnist

Founded: May 21, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Spiders about to ambush you » Fri May 22, 2020 3:08 pm

Solomons Land wrote:
Spiders about to ambush you wrote:I think only Churches with a high view of the Sacraments (Catholic, Lutheran, Anglican, Orthodox, etc.) should have the choice to open, but should still adhere to social distancing regulations. I say this because to us who hold the Sacraments highly, the worst thing about not going to Church isn't "praying" or reading the Bible, it's not receiving God's Grace. You can't receive communion or baptism at home, but you can read and pray at home just fine. If anything, most churches should still continue online services.

Just an opinion.

That would be preferencing some religious groups over others, which is a big no-no.

True. Then they should let all churches decide if they want to open, but they should still also do online services

Katganistan
Senior Game Moderator

Postby Katganistan » Fri May 22, 2020 3:09 pm

Diopolis wrote:
Trollzyn the Infinite wrote:
Study by Columbia University said it was around 30,000-40,000 deaths could have been avoided.

Study you read sounds more like bogus propaganda, tbh. People were going to die regardless; but not as many and not this quickly.

Still seems super relevant if states comply with him.

Which you know some will.

If anything there's a stronger argument that separation of church and state prevents the states from shutting down churches when other businesses are allowed to reopen.

Are churches businesses?

Solomons Land
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Solomons Land » Fri May 22, 2020 3:09 pm

Thermodolia wrote:
Solomons Land wrote:
This quote seems to suggest that you believe "the same ones who got their panties in a twist over gays getting married" are universally, or near universally against stay at home orders because they believe "this is an attempt to persecute Christians" which is false.

You are still refusing to read my post. You’ve deliberately ignored the part where I said it’s about those who think gays getting married is the end of the world, and not those who disagree with it or think it’s bad.

There’s a lot of difference between thinking X is the end of the world ala WBC and disagreeing with X and thinking it’s bad.

Even those that believe X (homosexuality) is "the end of the world" do not necessarily oppose the stay-at-home orders.
Generation 31: enter this into your signature and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
This statement is false.

Bear Stearns
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 02, 2018
Capitalizt

Postby Bear Stearns » Fri May 22, 2020 3:09 pm

Just an opinion.

If anything, the lockdown proves that Church was never about the building or the institution, but the people. Checkmate papists.
The Bear Stearns Companies, Inc. is a New York-based global investment bank, securities trading and brokerage firm. Its main business areas are capital markets, investment banking, wealth management and global clearing services. Bear Stearns was founded as an equity trading house on May Day 1923 by Joseph Ainslie Bear, Robert B. Stearns and Harold C. Mayer with $500,000 in capital.
383 Madison Ave,
New York, NY 10017
Vince Vaughn

Diopolis
Post Marshal

Founded: May 15, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Diopolis » Fri May 22, 2020 3:09 pm

I'll note that this came on the heels of the archdiocese of Minneapolis declaring that they, and their suffragans(so theoretically every Catholic church in Minnesota, but in practice probably less) will be reopening in defiance of government orders.
Trump is picking a side in the controversy, and he's picking the one his base will naturally side with. This announcement didn't happen in a vacuum.
Texas nationalist, right-wing technocrat, radical social conservative, post-liberal.

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Fri May 22, 2020 3:10 pm

Katganistan wrote:
Diopolis wrote:If anything there's a stronger argument that separation of church and state prevents the states from shutting down churches when other businesses are allowed to reopen.

Are churches businesses?

Legally yes
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Brunswick-upon-Raritan
Diplomat

Founded: May 15, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Brunswick-upon-Raritan » Fri May 22, 2020 3:11 pm

It’s fine for the Bishop to keep his flock home, but try telling that to the snake-handlers.
“Brave as the battle roll of drum,
Strong as the surf when tempests come,
Throbbed all of Jersey’s hearts of oak,
When war upon the Jerseys broke.”

CyberNations class of 2007
Former Nation | Never Forget | Support Our Troops
...got milk? ;) Drink Pepsi, Defeat Communism

Trollzyn the Infinite
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 22, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Trollzyn the Infinite » Fri May 22, 2020 3:11 pm

Thermodolia wrote:
Katganistan wrote:Are churches businesses?

Legally yes

Legally no. Donations aren't profit.
☆ American Patriot ☆ Civic Nationalist ☆ Rocker & Metalhead ☆ Heretical Christian ☆
"My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right."

Reminder that Donald J. Trump is officially a traitor to the United States of America as of January 6th, 2021
The Paradox of Tolerance
永远不会忘记1989年6月4日天安门广场大屠杀
Ես Արցախի կողքին եմ
Wanted Fugitive of the Chinese Communist Party
Unapologetic stan for Lana Beniko - #1 Sith Waifu

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Fri May 22, 2020 3:11 pm

Solomons Land wrote:
Thermodolia wrote:You are still refusing to read my post. You’ve deliberately ignored the part where I said it’s about those who think gays getting married is the end of the world, and not those who disagree with it or think it’s bad.

Even those that believe X (homosexuality) is "the end of the world" do not necessarily oppose the stay-at-home orders.

Again you are missing the point. Which is that those who think trivial matters are a threat to Christianity are those who oppose all of this and think it’s a plot to end Christianity.

That’s the point you refuse to see. For what reason I have no idea
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Fri May 22, 2020 3:12 pm

Thermodolia wrote:Legally yes

You don’t have to have a profit to be a business. Churches are legal corporations just like any other non-profit
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Trollzyn the Infinite
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Trollzyn the Infinite » Fri May 22, 2020 3:12 pm

Thermodolia wrote:
Solomons Land wrote:

Again you are missing the point. Which is that those who think trivial matters are a threat to Christianity are those who oppose all of this and think it’s a plot to end Christianity.

Because like all fundies he only focuses on the trivial matters.
☆ American Patriot ☆ Civic Nationalist ☆ Rocker & Metalhead ☆ Heretical Christian ☆
"My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right."

Reminder that Donald J. Trump is officially a traitor to the United States of America as of January 6th, 2021
The Paradox of Tolerance
永远不会忘记1989年6月4日天安门广场大屠杀
Ես Արցախի կողքին եմ

Trollzyn the Infinite
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Trollzyn the Infinite » Fri May 22, 2020 3:13 pm

Thermodolia wrote:

You don’t have to have a profit to be a business. Churches are legal corporations just like any other non-profit

A non-profit is not a corporation. That's not how it works.

The Paradox of Tolerance
永远不会忘记1989年6月4日天安门广场大屠杀
Ես Արցախի կողքին եմ

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Fri May 22, 2020 3:13 pm

Diopolis wrote:I'll note that this came on the heels of the archdiocese of Minneapolis declaring that they, and their suffragans(so theoretically every Catholic church in Minnesota, but in practice probably less) will be reopening in defiance of government orders.
Trump is picking a side in the controversy, and he's picking the one his base will naturally side with. This announcement didn't happen in a vacuum.

Ya in that case I’m actually gonna side with the church in this case.
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Solomons Land
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Solomons Land » Fri May 22, 2020 3:13 pm

Thermodolia wrote:
Solomons Land wrote:

Widespread acceptance of homosexuality is not trivial. We can argue if it is good, but homosexuality is an issue and, in any scenario, when there is an issue of contention and one opinion is being spread, the opposing side is going to respond by attempting to counter that acceptance.
This statement is false.

Bear Stearns
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 02, 2018
Capitalizt

Postby Bear Stearns » Fri May 22, 2020 3:14 pm

Katganistan wrote:
Diopolis wrote:If anything there's a stronger argument that separation of church and state prevents the states from shutting down churches when other businesses are allowed to reopen.

Are churches businesses?

They are technically corporate entities (for purposes of regulation, taxes, etc.), but they are non-profit corporations. Similar to think tanks.
The Bear Stearns Companies, Inc. is a New York-based global investment bank, securities trading and brokerage firm. Its main business areas are capital markets, investment banking, wealth management and global clearing services. Bear Stearns was founded as an equity trading house on May Day 1923 by Joseph Ainslie Bear, Robert B. Stearns and Harold C. Mayer with $500,000 in capital.
383 Madison Ave,
New York, NY 10017
Vince Vaughn

The Emerald Legion
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 18, 2011
Father Knows Best State

Postby The Emerald Legion » Fri May 22, 2020 3:14 pm

The Black Forrest wrote:
Idzequitch wrote:And that notion will remain only in our imaginations as long as Democrats and Republicans are in charge.

I am ok with that.

Honestly, you don't seem keen on individual rights to begin with.
"23.The unwise man is awake all night, and ponders everything over; when morning comes he is weary in mind, and all is a burden as ever." - Havamal

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Fri May 22, 2020 3:15 pm

Thermodolia wrote:You don’t have to have a profit to be a business. Churches are legal corporations just like any other non-profit

A non-profit is not a corporation. That's not how it works.

Yes they are. A legal corporation yes. Not exactly the same as regular parlance but they are a corporation technically
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Katganistan
Senior Game Moderator

Postby Katganistan » Fri May 22, 2020 3:16 pm

Thermodolia wrote:
Katganistan wrote:Are churches businesses?

Legally yes

They are?
Seems like they should be paying taxes then....

Solomons Land
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Solomons Land » Fri May 22, 2020 3:17 pm

Thermodolia wrote:

Churches are indeed corporations, but that was not the question. The question was whether or not they are businesses, which they are not. While, in a generic sense, I think churches should be allowed to open roughly around the same time as businesses, I think it is too early to open either.
This statement is false.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General