NATION

PASSWORD

Abortion Law Reform Passes in New Zealand

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Katganistan
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Katganistan » Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:38 pm

Drongonia wrote:
Terabithya wrote:Nowhere did I write that pregnancy is a punishment. It is actually a bliss in marriage to found a happy family.

Human life is a gift, and it pains me to think that the people who supported this Act the most (Green Party MPs) would go into bat for species of wild animals but not for the preservation of human life.

The prevention of potential human life.

Katganistan
Senior Game Moderator

Postby Katganistan » Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:41 pm

Terabithya wrote:
Greater Theowherveld wrote:You quote the bible as if it is a historical account. This alone shows you know so little that anyone listening to your thoughts are suffering brain damage.

The Holy Bible is of course a historical account and you don't know what you're writing. If you aren't baptised I strongly advise you to let baptise yourself in the Catholic Church and if you already are, repent and receive the sacrament of Penance, please.

Very condescending, and insulting to anyone who does not choose to be Christian, whether because they are another faith or choose not to believe in a deity.

Besides, it's hard to prove anyone in it actually existed -- there is no supporting evidence.

Katganistan
Senior Game Moderator

Postby Katganistan » Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:42 pm

Nakena wrote:Condoms, the pill and coitus interruptus are a thing though.

And abortion is another tool in that box. Because those first three tools don't always work.

Austria-Bohemia-Hungary
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 28, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Austria-Bohemia-Hungary » Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:47 pm

TIL out of 303,000 maternal deaths yearly worldwide 15% is attributed to unsafe abortion (as reported by the UN). This, is a problem. That's 45 thousand women yearly that didn't need to die dying.
Last edited by Austria-Bohemia-Hungary on Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Holy Romangnan Empire of Ostmark
something something the sole legitimate Austria-Hungary larp'er on NS :3

MT/MagicT
The Armed Forces|Embassy Programme|The Imperial and National Anthem of the Holy Roman Empire|Characters|The Map

Rojava Free State
Post Marshal

Founded: Feb 06, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Wed Mar 18, 2020 2:18 pm

Terabithya wrote:
Greater Theowherveld wrote:You quote the bible as if it is a historical account. This alone shows you know so little that anyone listening to your thoughts are suffering brain damage.

The Holy Bible is of course a historical account and you don't know what you're writing. If you aren't baptised I strongly advise you to let baptise yourself in the Catholic Church and if you already are, repent and receive the sacrament of Penance, please.

The Shadow Over Innsmouth is of course a historical account and you don't know what you're writing. If you aren't baptised I strongly advise you to let baptise yourself in the Cult of Dagon and if you already are, repent and receive the sacrament of the deep ones, please.

I have as much proof for Dagon as you have for the Lord. Just sayin'
Rojava Free State wrote:Listen yall. I'm only gonna say it once but I want you to remember it. This ain't a world fit for good men. It seems like you gotta be monstrous just to make it. Gotta have a little bit of darkness within you just to survive. You gotta stoop low everyday it seems like. Stoop all the way down to the devil in these times. And then one day you look in the mirror and you realize that you ain't you anymore. You're just another monster, and thanks to your actions, someone else will eventually become as warped and twisted as you. Never forget that the best of us are just the best of a bad lot. Being at the top of a pile of feces doesn't make you anything but shit like the rest. Never forget that.

Rojava Free State
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Wed Mar 18, 2020 2:19 pm

Katganistan wrote:
Nakena wrote:Condoms, the pill and coitus interruptus are a thing though.

And abortion is another tool in that box. Because those first three tools don't always work.

I would prefer not to use the fourth tool not because I'm some pro lifer so much as it's just more dificult. I mean what sounds easier, taking a pill or having a doctor physically remove a proto-human from inside of you?
Rojava Free State wrote:Listen yall. I'm only gonna say it once but I want you to remember it. This ain't a world fit for good men. It seems like you gotta be monstrous just to make it. Gotta have a little bit of darkness within you just to survive. You gotta stoop low everyday it seems like. Stoop all the way down to the devil in these times. And then one day you look in the mirror and you realize that you ain't you anymore. You're just another monster, and thanks to your actions, someone else will eventually become as warped and twisted as you. Never forget that the best of us are just the best of a bad lot. Being at the top of a pile of feces doesn't make you anything but shit like the rest. Never forget that.

Katganistan
Senior Game Moderator

Postby Katganistan » Wed Mar 18, 2020 2:20 pm

Rojava Free State wrote:
Sundiata wrote:What's sad is that people are losing reverence and respect for human life.

Remember that time God in the bible destroyed sodom and gmorrah and killed everyone inside for what the men did? What was that about respecting human life?

Remember the flood, where he wiped out all humanity except Noah and his family, and two each of animals?

Rojava Free State
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Wed Mar 18, 2020 2:21 pm

Katganistan wrote:
Rojava Free State wrote:
Remember that time God in the bible destroyed sodom and gmorrah and killed everyone inside for what the men did? What was that about respecting human life?

Remember the flood, where he wiped out all humanity except Noah and his family, and two each of animals?

Remember that time God burned someone in hell for making one mistake?

Well actually that was too many times to count.

Katganistan
Senior Game Moderator

Postby Katganistan » Wed Mar 18, 2020 2:22 pm

LimaUniformNovemberAlpha wrote:
Sundiata wrote:You mean ignoring the responsibility people have to family and community?

Some in "the community" might want her to have a baby, some might not.

Some in "her family" might want her to have a baby, some might not.

If this were really about the community or her family, they'd be given a vote in this, case by case. Not that I think they should, but even that would be better than banning it altogether.

Women. Are. Not. Property.
Let's put vasectomies up for vote and see how fast you all try to weasel out of it.

Strahcoin
Envoy

Founded: Jun 01, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Strahcoin » Wed Mar 18, 2020 2:24 pm

Costa Fierro wrote:
New Zealand has legalised abortion, removing the practice from the Crimes Act and liberalising access to abortion services.

The final vote on the bill passed 68 to 51, it will now head to the Governor-General for the royal assent before becoming law.

The new law liberalises abortion rules, treating the practice as a health matter rather than a criminal one.

People will now be able to access abortions from a health practitioner in the first 20 weeks of pregnancy.

After 20 weeks, people will still be able to accesss abortions, but only after proving to two health practitioners that an abortion is "clinically appropriate," with the regard to their physical and mental health and wellbeing.

That's unfortunate. I wonder how those in the future would view our condoning of such barbaric practices.
Awhaiti Kaiatu wrote:
Prozitia wrote:All of you "pro-life" guys are sick in the head. You only want a larger ignorant, starving population. Because that's what makes you conservatards profit. Why is this even a debate?

Most of those in opposition are guys as well - because they of course must have a say over a woman's body? (imo, if you're against abortion then don't get one)

Regardless, good on my country for passing this - this is the result of decades of social rights work advocacy right here

As for the safe-zones? That fell short due to the parliament meeting being at 11pm... many of the MP's were drousy and faing asleep at the wheel.. oops

Do the various pro-life women (including those who were formerly supportive of abortion legalization) not count? Norma McCovey? Abby Johnson? A number of rape survivors who choose life of the child over abortion?
Waldoven wrote:I'm quite conflicted on the topic of abortion. On one hand, it is the right for a woman to choose. But I don't like taking the life of an unborn child that if it was allowed to be born would grow up to be a living human. But in the end I' m pro-choice. But a little bit of convincing could turn me into pro-life. But a little bit of convincing could also turn me back into pro-choice.

I see. I'll try my best to bring you to the pro-life side.

You see, there is little, if any, difference between a fetus inside the womb and a newborn outside the womb. It has (more or less) full human DNA, and so it is a member of the Homo sapiens species. A lot of the development that makes the fetus look "human" occur within the first trimester. The first heartbeat starts within the first trimester. There were some cases where (supposedly) the fetus moved to avoid the lethal injection. And the brain... does not fully develop until long after one is born (and killing an innocent outside the womb is pretty widely considered murder). Therefore, I think a fetus is a person and should have the same natural rights and legal protections as us. And the "choice" to take the life of an unborn innocent child deprives the child of his/her choice to live.

Some may say that since the fetus isn't "viable" on his/her own, the mother has the right to do what she wishes with him/her. However, an infant - with the same legal protections as an adult (if not more) - cannot survive on his/her own. Therefore, the viability part of the argument does not hold.

I can understand that some may be reluctant to restrict/ban abortion. However, as far as I see it, it's necessary if we want to protect the natural rights of all innocent people.
Samudera Darussalam wrote:
Thermodolia wrote:It’s abortion dude. It was bound to happen

I...guess? Now I know firsthand why an abortion thread is....unpleasant, somehow.

Too bad. I would prefer civil debate and enlightening minds over ad hominems and insulting those who disagree.
Katganistan wrote:
Rojava Free State wrote:

Rojava Free State wrote:
Katganistan wrote:Remember the flood, where he wiped out all humanity except Noah and his family, and two each of animals?

Remember that time God burned someone in hell for making one mistake?

Well actually that was too many times to count.

Wait wait wait... since when did this become a religion thread? I thought we were talking about abortion.
Last edited by Strahcoin on Wed Mar 18, 2020 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Not all NS stats/policies may be used. NOTICE: Factbooks and Dispatches are mostly outdated. See here for more info.
Accidental policies: Marriage Equality. I blame nsindex.net for not mentioning that part in no. 438 even though common sense dictates that I should have figured it out myself
A 15.428571428571... civilization, according to this index.
On this index, my army is a 6-6-8.
OOC: I am a conservative and a free-market capitalist. Trump is great, even though he is a moderate. There are only two genders. I like natural rights, but strong authority and cultural moralism are needed to protect them. Nation mostly represents my views.

Sundiata
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 27, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Sundiata » Wed Mar 18, 2020 2:44 pm

Katganistan wrote:
LimaUniformNovemberAlpha wrote:Some in "the community" might want her to have a baby, some might not.

Some in "her family" might want her to have a baby, some might not.

If this were really about the community or her family, they'd be given a vote in this, case by case. Not that I think they should, but even that would be better than banning it altogether.

Women. Are. Not. Property.
Let's put vasectomies up for vote and see how fast you all try to weasel out of it.

I agree, I'm opposed to vasectomies for the same underlying reason we as Catholics are opposed to contraception and abortion.
Last edited by Sundiata on Wed Mar 18, 2020 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Don't say, 'That person bothers me.' Think: 'That person sanctifies me.'"
-St. Josemaria Escriva

Godular
Forum Moderator

Founded: Sep 09, 2004
New York Times Democracy

Postby Godular » Wed Mar 18, 2020 2:52 pm

Rojava Free State wrote:
Terabithya wrote:

The Shadow Over Innsmouth is of course a historical account and you don't know what you're writing. If you aren't baptised I strongly advise you to let baptise yourself in the Cult of Dagon and if you already are, repent and receive the sacrament of the deep ones, please.

I have as much proof for Dagon as you have for the Lord. Just sayin'

HERETIC! CTHULHU FTAGHN!
Now the moderation team really IS Godmoding.
Step 1: One-Stop Rules Shop. Step 2: ctrl+f. Step 3: Type in what you saw in modbox. Step 4: Don't do it again.
New to F7? Click here!

The New California Republic
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Wed Mar 18, 2020 2:54 pm

Katganistan wrote:Let's put vasectomies up for vote and see how fast you all try to weasel out of it.

I still don't trust you with scissors Kat. :p
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

White-collared conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me
They're hoping soon, my kind will drop and die
But I'm going to wave my freak flag high
Wave on, wave on
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Saturna1ia
Envoy

Founded: Jun 17, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Saturna1ia » Wed Mar 18, 2020 2:58 pm

I think what matters most is not whether New Zealanders have legal or illegal (considering it is something that will happen either way) access to abortion, but that they err on the side of moral decency and responsibility on the matter of abortion itself. Are kiwis an educated and upstanding people? Generally, I believe they are. I suspect, and hope, abortion rates will still go down overall regardless of legal framework.
A spacefaring Americana exploring Saturn's satellites, an ancient Roman festival, and a herd of wild capybaras.

Voted for Bernie Sanders in the 2016 and 2020 Primaries | Biden & Baldwin 2020 | Enjoying the representation of Senator Doug Jones while it lasts
"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die."
- Roy Batty (Blade Runner 1982)

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Founded: Oct 07, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:19 pm

Crockerland wrote:
Vivolkha wrote:It's their fault for following basic biological needs over ridiculous ideological mandate!

Well sex is pretty far from a basic biological need, but regardless, your need for sex does not justify harming another human being - hence rape being criminalized. You're free to have sex or not have sex, you're not free to kill an innocent child because you don't like the consequences of your choice.

Then we extensively promote contraceptives and the morning after pill to limit the need to have an abortion. In addition we should also increase funding for single parents and children so that if someone decides to keep the child they can
Male, Jewish, lives somewhere in AZ, Disabled US Military Veteran, Oorah!, I'm GAY!
I'm agent #69 in the Gaystapo!
>The Sons of Adam: I'd crown myself monarch... cuz why not?
>>Dumb Ideologies: Why not turn yourself into a penguin and build an igloo at the centre of the Earth?
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Godular
Forum Moderator

Founded: Sep 09, 2004
New York Times Democracy

Postby Godular » Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:21 pm

Thermodolia wrote:
Crockerland wrote:Well sex is pretty far from a basic biological need, but regardless, your need for sex does not justify harming another human being - hence rape being criminalized. You're free to have sex or not have sex, you're not free to kill an innocent child because you don't like the consequences of your choice.

Then we extensively promote contraceptives and the morning after pill to limit the need to have an abortion. In addition we should also increase funding for single parents and children so that if someone decides to keep the child they can

Free pregnancy-related healthcare and comprehensive sex ed would go a long way as well.
Now the moderation team really IS Godmoding.
Step 1: One-Stop Rules Shop. Step 2: ctrl+f. Step 3: Type in what you saw in modbox. Step 4: Don't do it again.
New to F7? Click here!

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:24 pm

The New California Republic wrote:
The American Free States wrote:
Source please.

I can vouch for it. Keshiland was his name. He was declared DOS.

No he wasn’t he was DEATd but not DOSd
Male, Jewish, lives somewhere in AZ, Disabled US Military Veteran, Oorah!, I'm GAY!
>>Dumb Ideologies: Why not turn yourself into a penguin and build an igloo at the centre of the Earth?
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Cekoviu
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 18, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Cekoviu » Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:26 pm

Thermodolia wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:I can vouch for it. Keshiland was his name. He was declared DOS.

Well, his account is gone and he's not back, so it doesn't really matter here which one it is.
pro: women's rights
anti: men's rights

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:27 pm

Godular wrote:
So abortions should always be available.

When the mothers life is threatened, yes. Getting an abortion just because you don’t want a kid is selfish and you should have practiced abstinence.

Abstinence doesn’t work. We need to promote contraceptives to reduce the number of abortions. Abstinence does the opposite
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Cekoviu
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 18, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Cekoviu » Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:32 pm

Thermodolia wrote:
When the mothers life is threatened, yes. Getting an abortion just because you don’t want a kid is selfish and you should have practiced abstinence.

Abstinence doesn’t work. We need to promote contraceptives to reduce the number of abortions. Abstinence does the opposite

Well, the act of abstinence itself does reduce abortions. It's just that people aren't going to do that because it's terrible.
pro: women's rights
anti: men's rights

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:37 pm

Godular wrote:
Thermodolia wrote:Then we extensively promote contraceptives and the morning after pill to limit the need to have an abortion. In addition we should also increase funding for single parents and children so that if someone decides to keep the child they can

Free pregnancy-related healthcare and comprehensive sex ed would go a long way as well.

Definitely agree. However the Christian Right refuses to allow such things.

Abortion should be safe, legal, and rare. It should be a matter of last resort
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

New haven america
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 08, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby New haven america » Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:00 pm

Sundiata wrote:A sad day for New Zealand. Jesus wept.

The liberalization of abortion is something I lament. However, the feasibility of an outright ban needs to lead to certain conditions. Most specifically, a society which values life.

The vast majority of pro-lifers only care about the life of the "Child" until they pop out of their moms, after that they're leeches of the welfare system and burdens to good, hardworking countrymen.
Human of the male variety
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2024

That's all folks~

Necroghastia
Forum Moderator

Founded: May 11, 2019
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Necroghastia » Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:06 pm

Good. A shame it took this long.
The Land of Spooky Scary Skeletons!

Pronouns: she/her

The New California Republic
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:06 pm

Thermodolia wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:I can vouch for it. Keshiland was his name. He was declared DOS.

No, the last I heard was that the Mods were having discussions about his future after he had multiple lengthy bans and multiple nations DEATed (including his last known puppet on here, "NewLiberalParty"); and since DOS status is not announced, it was assumed that he was declared DOS.
Last edited by The New California Republic on Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

White-collared conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me
They're hoping soon, my kind will drop and die
But I'm going to wave my freak flag high
Wave on, wave on
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:31 pm

The New California Republic wrote:
Thermodolia wrote:No he wasn’t he was DEATd but not DOSd

No, the last I heard was that the Mods were having discussions about his future after he had multiple lengthy bans and multiple nations DEATed (including his last known puppet on here, "NewLiberalParty"); and since DOS status is not announced, it was assumed that he was declared DOS.

Huh. Well seems I missed that
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General