NATION

PASSWORD

Seattle Schools Teaching Math Is Racist

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Uiiop
Powerbroker

Founded: Jun 20, 2012
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Uiiop » Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:40 pm

Valentine Z wrote:So... please do pardon me if I get something wrong, but from what I can see and read so far?

They seem to be talking about the field of Mathematics, not Mathematics itself, right?

If that is the case, of course the history of Math will be marred with racism... if they really want to stretch it that far. But unsurprisingly, the flaw does not lie in Maths... it lies in history/racism itself that carries over the centuries of human history.

If they want Maths to be stop being racist, just start with settling and solving racial issues, instead of bringing maths into this.

-----

... Hopefully I read it right.

Given the world's track record regrading settling and solving you kinda do need to get specific and bring up shit racism brings up to do it properly.
#NSTransparency

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Founded: Oct 07, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:40 pm

Totenborg wrote:
Thermodolia wrote:Not really. They are claiming that math is racist by itself. Not that racist people have misused math to further their racist goals but that math is inherently racist.

Not according to the link that wasn't from the Seattle Times.

That’s the only link I read. And they definitely, or at least some of the people the times where talking to definitely did
Male, Jewish, lives somewhere in AZ, Disabled US Military Veteran, Oorah!, I'm GAY!
I'm agent #69 in the Gaystapo!
>The Sons of Adam: I'd crown myself monarch... cuz why not?
>>Dumb Ideologies: Why not turn yourself into a penguin and build an igloo at the centre of the Earth?
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Valentine Z
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 08, 2015

Postby Valentine Z » Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:41 pm

Also:

Can we just please go back to Mathematics itself, instead of trying to mix and mash politics into Calculus? They are both differentiated and that you can't integrate the two.

;)
Val's Stuff. ♡ ^_^ ♡ For You
If you are reading my sig, I want you to have the best day ever ! You are worth it, do not let anyone get you down !
Glory to De Geweldige Sierlijke Katachtige Utopia en Zijne Autonome Machten ov Valentine Z !
(✿◠‿◠) ☆ \(^_^)/ ☆

Issues Thread Photography Stuff Project: Save F7. Stats Analysis

The Sixty! Valentian Stories! Gwen's Adventures!

• Never trouble trouble until trouble troubles you.
• World Map is a cat playing with Australia.
Let Fate sort it out.

Kubra
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 15, 2006
Father Knows Best State

Postby Kubra » Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:44 pm

Thermodolia wrote:
Kubra wrote:In any case the point I'm trying to make is that while I'm actually not that down with the proposed execution, it's the spirit that counts: folks do best in education when they give a shit about the subject matter in more direct ways than grades. For lack of a better metaphor, it's throwing shit on a wall and seeing what sticks. If it turns out kids respond better if taught math in this fashion, then hey all is well. If not, keep throwing shit, y'know?

I’ll agree with this. The execution could be better but if they truly trying to get math numbers up using real world experiences than I don’t see a harm in trying it out. They could probably drop the whole “racism in math” bit to sell it a bit more.
Alright, hey, glad we could see eye to eye.
And hey let me be real, I dunno how well it's gonna go. Y'know, us adults care about that sort of shit much more than grade schoolers. It's chicken or the egg: are they getting em more excited for math, or more excited for racial history? History is drudgery for *plenty* of grade schoolers, and if it's already drudgery for em throwing it into math ain't gonna help one iota. Personally, I prefer pedagogical proposals that put fun front and center.
Last edited by Kubra on Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Atomic war is inevitable. It will destroy half of humanity: it is going to destroy immense human riches. It is very possible. The atomic war is going to provoke a true inferno on Earth. But it will not impede Communism.”
Comrade J. Posadas

Neko-koku
Minister

Founded: Jul 29, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Neko-koku » Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:45 pm

As usual black problems are inherently likely to be
intractable and have a tendency to metastatize.
We are mutant Japanese kitty cats that have taken over a post-human world which was destroyed due to human hatred towards other humans.

Kubra
Post Marshal

Father Knows Best State

Postby Kubra » Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:47 pm

Valentine Z wrote:Also:

Can we just please go back to Mathematics itself, instead of trying to mix and mash politics into Calculus? They are both differentiated and that you can't integrate the two.

;)
One source gave the example of having kids try to gerrymander as effectively as possible.
Don't tell me you wouldn't find that fun, even if you drop the gerrymandering aspect. It's like, you ever been in a computer science class? Practically no assignment is done truly alone, you compare your work with others and see how they arrived at a program with the same function and see how they did things better. That shit's great, comp sci was my best grade. You could definitely do that with a gerrymandering assignment.
Last edited by Kubra on Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Atomic war is inevitable. It will destroy half of humanity: it is going to destroy immense human riches. It is very possible. The atomic war is going to provoke a true inferno on Earth. But it will not impede Communism.”
Comrade J. Posadas

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Founded: Aug 20, 2005
Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:47 pm

Cekoviu wrote:
Galloism wrote:Seems pretty benign.

Yeah, it's kind of dumb, but it could honestly be way worse and I don't think it'll cause any harm.

Eh, if it gets kids to pay attention as they indicate, it’s not dumb.

I once got a group of kids an A on their next algebra 1 test by showing them how they could use it to save money on bulk purchasing decisions.

Ok, I was a weird teacher.
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
The Parkus Empire: Being serious on NSG is like wearing a suit to a nude beach.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.

Uiiop
Powerbroker

Founded: Jun 20, 2012

Postby Uiiop » Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:47 pm

Thermodolia wrote:
Totenborg wrote:Not according to the link that wasn't from the Seattle Times.

That’s the only link I read. And they definitely, or at least some of the people the times where talking to definitely did

The only two people they talked to explicitly said it wasn't or said that math was manipulated to that end.
Only people who were offended and paranoid about the concept talked about it in those terms.
#NSTransparency

Kubra
Post Marshal

Father Knows Best State

Postby Kubra » Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:48 pm

Galloism wrote:
Cekoviu wrote:Yeah, it's kind of dumb, but it could honestly be way worse and I don't think it'll cause any harm.

Eh, if it gets kids to pay attention as they indicate, it’s not dumb.

I once got a group of kids an A on their next algebra 1 test by showing them how they could use it to save money on bulk purchasing decisions.

See this is the teacher that folks are lucky to have
you keep doing you, man. You doing your kids good.
Comrade J. Posadas

LiberNovusAmericae
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 10, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby LiberNovusAmericae » Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:48 pm

Politics should have no place in math classes.

Valentine Z
Postmaster-General

Postby Valentine Z » Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:48 pm

Kubra wrote:
Valentine Z wrote:Also:

;)
One source gave the example of having kids try to gerrymander as effectively as possible.
Don't tell me you wouldn't find that fun, even if you drop the gerrymandering aspect. It's like, you ever been in a computer science class? Practically no assignment is done truly alone, you compare your work with others and see how they arrived at a program with the same function and see how they did things better. That shit's great, comp sci was my best grade. You could definitely do that with a gerrymandering assignment.

I am doing Computer Science as well, like in Uni right now. ^^ It's okay, but kinda suffering because of the sheer workload, but this is for another time or for TET.

(Also seems like my attempt at puns were lost in seriousness. Welp.)
Last edited by Valentine Z on Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you are reading my sig, I want you to have the best day ever ! You are worth it, do not let anyone get you down !
Glory to De Geweldige Sierlijke Katachtige Utopia en Zijne Autonome Machten ov Valentine Z !
(✿◠‿◠) ☆ \(^_^)/ ☆

Let Fate sort it out.

Kubra
Post Marshal

Father Knows Best State

Postby Kubra » Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:49 pm

Valentine Z wrote:
Kubra wrote: One source gave the example of having kids try to gerrymander as effectively as possible.

I am doing Computer Science as well. ^^

aaaaaaaaaaa woosh
sry man got into a mood there y'know
Comrade J. Posadas

Valentine Z
Postmaster-General

Postby Valentine Z » Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:50 pm

Kubra wrote:
Valentine Z wrote:I am doing Computer Science as well. ^^

aaaaaaaaaaa woosh
sry man got into a mood there y'know

Ehh, it happens. No worries, haha! :D

But you do bring up good points, so thanks for that as well. ^^
Last edited by Valentine Z on Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
(✿◠‿◠) ☆ \(^_^)/ ☆

Let Fate sort it out.

Arumdaum
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Oct 21, 2009
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Arumdaum » Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:54 pm

Thermodolia wrote:
Totenborg wrote:Sounds like right wing clickbait sensationalism to me, as the actual program is pretty benign.

For a history class on math yes but not for a math class. You don’t need to learn about how the Aztecs did math when that won’t help you later in life.

Learning about other number base systems is useful. It expands people's horizons on what math can be and how we perceive it, and explains to us why we perceive math the way it is. What if math was base 12? And helps with things like binary and other number base systems for coding.
LITERALLY UNLIKE ANY OTHER RP REGION & DON'T REPORT THIS SIG
█████████████████▌TIANDI ____________██____██
_______███▌MAP _______________██_____██_████████
█████████████████▌WIKI _______██______██___██____██
_______████ DISCORD ________██████___██____██______█

____████__████ SIGNUP _________██___████___██____
__████_______████_____________██______██__________██
████____________████_______█████████___███████████

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Founded: Aug 20, 2005
Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:57 pm

Kubra wrote:
Galloism wrote:Eh, if it gets kids to pay attention as they indicate, it’s not dumb.

See this is the teacher that folks are lucky to have

I might have also done bit on wind resistance calculations with a theoretical example of building a machine that could shoot a deer as long as it knew where it was, and what calculations would be needed to accomplish this.
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
The Parkus Empire: Being serious on NSG is like wearing a suit to a nude beach.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.

Sovaal
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 17, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Sovaal » Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:59 pm

https://www.k12.wa.us/sites/default/files/public/socialstudies/pubdocs/Math%20SDS%20ES%20Framework.pdf
Origins, Identity, and Agency
Definition of theme: Origins, Identity and Agency, as defined by ethnic studies, is the ways in which we ​view ourselves as mathematicians ​ and members of broader mathematical communities. Mathematical theory and application is​ rooted in the ancient histories of people and empires of color ​ . All human endeavors include mathematical thinking; from humanities to the arts to the sciences.

So essentially teaching the history of math. Seems innocent enough.
Power and Oppression
Definition of theme: Power and oppression, as defined by ethnic studies, are the ways in which individuals and groups define mathematical knowledge so as to see “Western” mathematics as the only legitimate expression of mathematical identity and intelligence. This definition of ​legitimacy is then used to disenfranchise ​ people and communities of color. This ​erases the historical contributions ​ of people and communities of color.

I'd like to know what they mean by this. Do they mean it as in the idea that mathematics are purely western in origin, or the use of mathematics by western (European) civilization , or that there is/are (accurate) versions of mathematics that very from region to region? If it's the latter, I don't think that's an accurate view of mathematics. However, the learning targets posted make me think its leaning more towards the middle one.
History of Resistance and Liberation
Definition of theme: The history of resistance and liberation, as defined by ethnic studies, is the stories, places, and people who helped liberate people and communities of color using math, engineering, and technology. ​Access to mathematical knowledge itself is an act of liberation

I have no idea what they mean by "liberation" and "resistance" regarding this passage, and the learning targets don't really clear it up for me. I guess it has to do with minority communities "reclaiming" mathematics or something.
Reflection and Action
Definition of theme: Student action, as defined by ethnic studies, is fostering a sense of advocacy, empowerment, and action in the students that creates internal motivation to engage in and contribute to their identities as mathematicians. Students will be confident in their ability to ​construct & decode mathematical knowledge, truth, and beauty ​ so they can ​contribute ​ to their experiences and the experiences of people in their community.

So essentially apply class concepts to the real world somehow.

Now it seems to go off the deep end in the "Essential Questions" section, but I figure that the "answers" for those questions would be further elaborated on by the education board. However, short of these explanations this outline seems to be getting awfully close to the edge of ridiculousness, and it seems they aren't making that much of distinction between the mathematics itself and the social/academic frameworks that mathematics has been used in.
Most of the time I have no idea what the hell I'm doing or talking about.

”Many forms of government have been tried and will be tried in this world of sin and woe.
No one pretends that democracy is perfect or all wise. Indeed, it has been said that democracy is
the worst form of government, except for all the others that have been tried from time to time." -
Winston Churchill, 1947.

"Rifles, muskets, long-bows and hand-grenades are inherently democratic weapons. A complex weapon makes the strong stronger, while a simple weapon – so long as there is no answer to it – gives claws to the weak.” - George Orwell

Kubra
Post Marshal

Father Knows Best State

Postby Kubra » Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:59 pm

Galloism wrote:
Kubra wrote: See this is the teacher that folks are lucky to have

I might have also done bit on wind resistance calculations with a theoretical example of building a machine that could shoot a deer as long as it knew where it was, and what calculations would be needed to accomplish this.
Let me tell ya man I had a teacher like that in middle school
First day of school was like the damn lottery, because everyone was hoping they'd get the guy teaching their science class.
Comrade J. Posadas

Kubra
Post Marshal

Father Knows Best State

Postby Kubra » Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:01 pm

Sovaal wrote:I have no idea what they mean by "liberation" and "resistance" regarding this passage, and the learning targets don't really clear it up for me. I guess it has to do with minority communities "reclaiming" mathematics or something.
think archimedes using trigonometry to get the romans to fuck off
Comrade J. Posadas

The Fascist Undead
Spokesperson

Founded: Oct 09, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby The Fascist Undead » Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:09 pm

Kustonia wrote:https://www.seattletimes.com/education-lab/new-course-outlines-prompt-conversations-about-identity-race-in-seattle-classrooms-even-in-math/
https://mynorthwest.com/1537267/dori-ma ... framework/
https://www.k12.wa.us/sites/default/fil ... Lp_mZ1mXb0

Schools in Seattle are now teaching that math is racist. A new framework has been laid out for the curriculum "Math Ethnic Studies." I just have two very important questions to ask: Is math racist? Are the answers to math problems connected to white supremacy?

Yes, Everything is racist Now.
And Racism has lost all meaning
Undead Nationalist and Fascist. Also a Authoritarianist Goth. Hail Death.

Unstoppable Empire of Doom
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 18, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Unstoppable Empire of Doom » Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:13 pm

Kubra wrote:They're trying to find a way to make kids more excited for mathematics. Pedagogy is a difficult process man, you gotta play around a bit to see what sticks.

Best post 2019
Whoever said "you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink" has clearly never drown a horse.

Totenborg
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 23, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Totenborg » Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:17 pm

Thermodolia wrote:
Totenborg wrote:Not according to the link that wasn't from the Seattle Times.

Check out the Edweek link. It's a bit less sensationalist.
Rabid anti-fascist.
Existential nihilist.
Lifer metalhead.
Unrepentant fan of birds.

GLDF
Envoy

Founded: Aug 13, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby GLDF » Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:21 pm

The idea isn't what you're trying to make it. It's not about math itself, it is how people wrongly use or stereotype it. But it should be in social studies and not other subjects. I don't think that K-9 classrooms need any kind of this in basic courses except for social studies,which falls flat or being meaningful right now. People aren't caring about history. If you can make it interesting and relevant, why not?
Nova Cyberia wrote:
Ifreann wrote:What's infinity plus one?

4?

Czechostan
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 23, 2013
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Czechostan » Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:32 pm

Sovaal wrote:I'd like to know what they mean by this. Do they mean it as in the idea that mathematics are purely western in origin, or the use of mathematics by western (European) civilization , or that there is/are (accurate) versions of mathematics that very from region to region? If it's the latter, I don't think that's an accurate view of mathematics. However, the learning targets posted make me think its leaning more towards the middle one.

I am presuming they are referring to how indigenous/Eastern/non-Western mathematical knowledge systems have been supplanted by Western mathematics. I know it's not a Western idea, but I'm thinking here of Pythagoras' ideas like the harmony of the spheres and the genders of numbers. For Pythagoras, numbers had a mystical connection which ordered the universe, and this belief led him to produce mathematical theories we still use today, and I'm sure the same can be said for many non-Western mathematicians. Maybe their theories are wrong, but I don't think we can properly understand mathematics without understanding its path of development and how mathematics developed in other countries. All of the math classes I have taken treat mathematics like an immutable truth without delving into history or how mathematical notions have changed over time.

Sovaal wrote:I have no idea what they mean by "liberation" and "resistance" regarding this passage, and the learning targets don't really clear it up for me. I guess it has to do with minority communities "reclaiming" mathematics or something.

I am presuming they find learning about different mathematical systems to be liberating for the same reasons African-Americans find re-orienting themselves toward traditional religion and spiritualism to be liberating--it's getting in touch with one's roots and learning to view the world through a lens other than the one you grew up looking through.

Liriena
Khan of Spam

Founded: Nov 19, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Liriena » Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:47 pm

Why am I not surprised that an OP who openly identifies as a "white nationalist" would be behind such a blatant act of racebaiting sensationalism to produce an outrage-milking narrative which is directly contradicted by the most reliable source on it?

Math ain't racist, but I can clearly see that reading comprehension and simple honesty are anti-racist exlusives.
Last edited by Liriena on Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
be gay do crime

I am:
A pansexual, pantheist, green socialist
An aspiring writer and journalist
Political compass stuff:
Economic Left/Right: -8.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -8.92
For: Grassroots democracy, workers' self-management, humanitarianism, pacifism, pluralism, environmentalism, interculturalism, indigenous rights, minority rights, LGBT+ rights, feminism, optimism
Against: Nationalism, authoritarianism, fascism, conservatism, populism, violence, ethnocentrism, racism, sexism, religious bigotry, anti-LGBT+ bigotry, death penalty, neoliberalism, tribalism,
cynicism

⚧Copy and paste this in your sig
if you passed biology and know
gender and sex aren't the same thing.⚧

I disown most of my previous posts

Bear Stearns
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 02, 2018
Capitalizt

Postby Bear Stearns » Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:51 pm

13x = 52/100
The Bear Stearns Companies, Inc. is a New York-based global investment bank, securities trading and brokerage firm. Its main business areas are capital markets, investment banking, wealth management and global clearing services. Bear Stearns was founded as an equity trading house on May Day 1923 by Joseph Ainslie Bear, Robert B. Stearns and Harold C. Mayer with $500,000 in capital.
383 Madison Ave,
New York, NY 10017
Vince Vaughn

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General