NATION

PASSWORD

Is consumerism ruining us?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Rojava Free State
Post Marshal

Founded: Feb 06, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Tue Sep 03, 2019 5:10 am

Turbofolkia wrote:Most societies are consumerist to some degree but it does seem like America takes it to the next level. I have never been there but is it true that prescription drug advertising is a thing over there? What a bizarre country.

Anyway, I find trying to pay for most things in cash really helps to control and monitor your spending. I don’t own a credit card (though there is nothing wrong with owning one in principle and it can even be beneficial to your finances if you know how and when to use it) and while I have debit cards, I find that cash is a better psychological monitor on your finances. I have never really been into online shopping, so that helps as well.

That prescription drug business actually caused an opioid epidemic here, and an amphetamine crisis may be on the horizon as well thanks to them
Rojava Free State wrote:Listen yall. I'm only gonna say it once but I want you to remember it. This ain't a world fit for good men. It seems like you gotta be monstrous just to make it. Gotta have a little bit of darkness within you just to survive. You gotta stoop low everyday it seems like. Stoop all the way down to the devil in these times. And then one day you look in the mirror and you realize that you ain't you anymore. You're just another monster, and thanks to your actions, someone else will eventually become as warped and twisted as you. Never forget that the best of us are just the best of a bad lot. Being at the top of a pile of feces doesn't make you anything but shit like the rest. Never forget that.

New Excalibus
Ambassador

Founded: May 05, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby New Excalibus » Tue Sep 03, 2019 5:13 am

Absolutely. While yes, consumerism does help to produce a strong economy, it has eliminated our culture and continues to do so.
I think we can all agree that the future from WALL-E is the most probable.
✦ excal ✦
complicated signatures are for the weak.

Valentine Z
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 08, 2015
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Valentine Z » Tue Sep 03, 2019 5:24 am

New Excalibus wrote:Absolutely. While yes, consumerism does help to produce a strong economy, it has eliminated our culture and continues to do so.

This as well. I don't mind the benefits of capitalism, and hey, I love the gadgets and other things that I enjoy buying now and then, but I seriously would want them to last. My clumsiness aside, Planned Obsolescence is kinda crazy especially when it comes to smartphones.

I still have my iPhone 6 Plus that I use now and then, alongside my LG V30* (which I accidentally dropped, so... yay me on that one!). The 6 Plus is a solid phone, and even with Apple trying to slow it down, it still can run and function like a phone, just without the features that I honestly can live without. Might need a screen fix because I'm getting phantom touches, but I'm going off-track.

And that's why I still have my Nikon D5100 that I have since 2010. Is it old as hell? Yes. Is it still usable? Heck yes, and I will keep using it until it craps out naturally. I am tempted, but I am not willing to buy another camera yet just because of the features.

* I have an option of buying a new phone, or fixing the screen. Unfortunately, the phone, by design, is extremely costly and difficult to fix, so.... here's to me getting a new one soon, and being more extra careful.

-----

To summarise my ramblings... I love a degree of consumerism for the things I can buy, but I am (usually... I used to!) not going to buy something just because it's much cooler than the previous model; it's only when it finally craps out on me. Got myself a gaming mouse and KB, a camera from 2010, a laptop from 2016, and I'm still very, very set!

-----

As for a car, divided but I would ultimately own one back in Burma. I don't see a need for a car in Singapore given the public transport, but in Burma? Having an ordinary mid-level sedan is good enough!
Last edited by Valentine Z on Tue Sep 03, 2019 5:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
Val's Stuff. ♡ ^_^ ♡ For You
If you are reading my sig, I want you to have the best day ever ! You are worth it, do not let anyone get you down !
Glory to De Geweldige Sierlijke Katachtige Utopia en Zijne Autonome Machten ov Valentine Z !
(✿◠‿◠) ☆ \(^_^)/ ☆

Issues Thread Photography Stuff Project: Save F7. Stats Analysis

The Sixty! Valentian Stories! Gwen's Adventures!

• Never trouble trouble until trouble troubles you.
• World Map is a cat playing with Australia.
Let Fate sort it out.

Rojava Free State
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Tue Sep 03, 2019 5:26 am

Valentine Z wrote:
New Excalibus wrote:Absolutely. While yes, consumerism does help to produce a strong economy, it has eliminated our culture and continues to do so.

This as well. I don't mind the benefits of capitalism, and hey, I love the gadgets and other things that I enjoy buying now and then, but I seriously would want them to last. My clumsiness aside, Planned Obsolescence is kinda crazy especially when it comes to smartphones.

I still have my iPhone 6 Plus that I use now and then, alongside my LG V30* (which I accidentally dropped, so... yay me on that one!). The 6 Plus is a solid phone, and even with Apple trying to slow it down, it still can run and function like a phone, just without the features that I honestly can live without. Might need a screen fix because I'm getting phantom touches, but I'm going off-track.

And that's why I still have my Nikon D5100 that I have since 2010. Is it old as hell? Yes. Is it still usable? Heck yes, and I will keep using it until it craps out naturally. I am tempted, but I am not willing to buy another camera yet just because of the features.

* I have an option of buying a new phone, or fixing the screen. Unfortunately, the phone, by design, is extremely costly and difficult to fix, so.... here's to me getting a new one soon, and being more extra careful.

-----

To summarise my ramblings... I love a degree of consumerism for the things I can buy, but I am (usually... I used to!) not going to buy something just because it's much cooler than the previous model; it's only when it finally craps out on me. Got myself a gaming mouse and KB, a camera from 2010, a laptop from 2016, and I'm still very, very set!

And why do people buy a new car like every other year? Cars don't fail that fast. My dad drove an F150 for 12 years straight before he got a honda civic, and mom owned a honda pilot for almost as many years. Buyijg a car all the time is such a waste of money
Rojava Free State wrote:Listen yall. I'm only gonna say it once but I want you to remember it. This ain't a world fit for good men. It seems like you gotta be monstrous just to make it. Gotta have a little bit of darkness within you just to survive. You gotta stoop low everyday it seems like. Stoop all the way down to the devil in these times. And then one day you look in the mirror and you realize that you ain't you anymore. You're just another monster, and thanks to your actions, someone else will eventually become as warped and twisted as you. Never forget that the best of us are just the best of a bad lot. Being at the top of a pile of feces doesn't make you anything but shit like the rest. Never forget that.

Valentine Z
Postmaster-General

Postby Valentine Z » Tue Sep 03, 2019 5:29 am

Rojava Free State wrote:And why do people buy a new car like every other year? Cars don't fail that fast. My dad drove an F150 for 12 years straight before he got a honda civic, and mom owned a honda pilot for almost as many years. Buyijg a car all the time is such a waste of money

As I have added: As for a car, divided but I would ultimately own one back in Burma. I don't see a need for a car in Singapore given the public transport, but in Burma? Having an ordinary mid-level sedan is good enough!

But adding further: That seems like a waste. And I most certainly can't do that. I have sentimental feelings over some things I've bought. Like... you can't easily make me abandon my "old and reliable" stuff just because there's a newer version.

-----

On another note, I know it's also the technology factor, but it's nowadays usually a trend that newer things tend to break more than the older stuff. Like... you can drop a CRT TV from a shelf and it dented the floor while the TV is still kicking minus minor scratches (true story!). But drop a flat-screen and bam, time to buy a new one.

I know it's the matter of build, design, and so on, but... anyone notice this trend, just in general? It's not exactly Planned Obsolescence, I don't think so, but newer things are just more vulnerable.
Last edited by Valentine Z on Tue Sep 03, 2019 5:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
If you are reading my sig, I want you to have the best day ever ! You are worth it, do not let anyone get you down !
Glory to De Geweldige Sierlijke Katachtige Utopia en Zijne Autonome Machten ov Valentine Z !
(✿◠‿◠) ☆ \(^_^)/ ☆

Let Fate sort it out.

Rojava Free State
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Tue Sep 03, 2019 5:38 am

Valentine Z wrote:
Rojava Free State wrote:And why do people buy a new car like every other year? Cars don't fail that fast. My dad drove an F150 for 12 years straight before he got a honda civic, and mom owned a honda pilot for almost as many years. Buyijg a car all the time is such a waste of money

As I have added: As for a car, divided but I would ultimately own one back in Burma. I don't see a need for a car in Singapore given the public transport, but in Burma? Having an ordinary mid-level sedan is good enough!

But adding further: That seems like a waste. And I most certainly can't do that. I have sentimental feelings over some things I've bought. Like... you can't easily make me abandon my "old and reliable" stuff just because there's a newer version.

-----

On another note, I know it's also the technology factor, but it's nowadays usually a trend that newer things tend to break more than the older stuff. Like... you can drop a CRT TV from a shelf and it dented the floor while the TV is still kicking minus minor scratches (true story!). But drop a flat-screen and bam, time to buy a new one.

I know it's the matter of build, design, and so on, but... anyone notice this trend, just in general? It's not exactly Planned Obsolescence, I don't think so, but newer things are just more vulnerable.

The cars don't fail after two years though. People just feel pushed to get a new ome

Valentine Z
Postmaster-General

Postby Valentine Z » Tue Sep 03, 2019 5:44 am

Rojava Free State wrote:
Valentine Z wrote:As I have added: As for a car, divided but I would ultimately own one back in Burma. I don't see a need for a car in Singapore given the public transport, but in Burma? Having an ordinary mid-level sedan is good enough!

-----

The cars don't fail after two years though. People just feel pushed to get a new ome

Yeah, cars are an exception that they do last. I mean for other things in particular, like phones, tablets... mostly electronics, along with some pieces of clothing.
(✿◠‿◠) ☆ \(^_^)/ ☆

Let Fate sort it out.

Rojava Free State
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Tue Sep 03, 2019 5:45 am

Valentine Z wrote:
Rojava Free State wrote:

Yeah, cars are an exception that they do last. I mean for other things in particular, like phones, tablets... mostly electronics, along with some pieces of clothing.

I've owned a fifth generation iPod for seven years now and it currently can only stay charged for maybe 15 to 20 minutes before it has to be charged again. I refuse to get a new one though till I really need it.

Neko-koku
Minister

Founded: Jul 29, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Neko-koku » Tue Sep 03, 2019 5:50 am

Rojava Free State wrote:I'm sure you've all seen it before. One of your friends got some new shoes that are supposedly the hottest on the market. Maybe your grandpa buys a new car each year and each year the cars get flashier. Perhaps your parents bought a house in the exurbs and now think they're rich like the great Gatsby cause it's 4000 square feet and has a walk out basement that faces a lake. Maybe you yourself are a victim of the comsumerism.

Starting with the end of world war II and an economic boom in the 1950s, corporations have increasingly peddled new and often redundant products to the average american, claiming that you can't live without it and everyone's buying it. People blow money on new clothes and gadgets annually in an attempt to be "with it" and show that they're not out of the loop. Americans love their goods and services

But has consumerism hurt us? Many seniors failed to save up for retirement and now rely on the government dole to survive. Poor people waste money that could go toward food on air jordans and the newest iphone. Mom and dad went and bought a lakefront home but now they can't afford the mortgage and the house got foreclosed on. To me, it seems that consumerism often runs people ragged and ruins a society and culture

I do not partake it consumer trends. My clothing is plain and working class oriented (a maroon bomber jacket, work boots and a couple pairs of sneakers, maybe ten different average looking t shirts and a couple sweaters and five pairs of jeans, most of which have holes in them). I don't own a car because I lived in a city with terrible traffic for two years. My music selection is as far from the mainstream as a future is from me and I don't run to the nearest FYE to buy the newest lil pump album "to look cool." To put it simply, I forsake basing my entire existence off having the newest and best products from the market. So what is your opinion Nsers? Do you think consumer craze is ruining our culture and country or is the consumer economy a good thing that helps our nation?

Don't participate in it. Learn from Ashkenazi Jews and you will do well.
We are mutant Japanese kitty cats that have taken over a post-human world which was destroyed due to human hatred towards other humans.

Rojava Free State
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Rojava Free State » Tue Sep 03, 2019 5:52 am

Neko-koku wrote:
Rojava Free State wrote:I'm sure you've all seen it before. One of your friends got some new shoes that are supposedly the hottest on the market. Maybe your grandpa buys a new car each year and each year the cars get flashier. Perhaps your parents bought a house in the exurbs and now think they're rich like the great Gatsby cause it's 4000 square feet and has a walk out basement that faces a lake. Maybe you yourself are a victim of the comsumerism.

Starting with the end of world war II and an economic boom in the 1950s, corporations have increasingly peddled new and often redundant products to the average american, claiming that you can't live without it and everyone's buying it. People blow money on new clothes and gadgets annually in an attempt to be "with it" and show that they're not out of the loop. Americans love their goods and services

But has consumerism hurt us? Many seniors failed to save up for retirement and now rely on the government dole to survive. Poor people waste money that could go toward food on air jordans and the newest iphone. Mom and dad went and bought a lakefront home but now they can't afford the mortgage and the house got foreclosed on. To me, it seems that consumerism often runs people ragged and ruins a society and culture

I do not partake it consumer trends. My clothing is plain and working class oriented (a maroon bomber jacket, work boots and a couple pairs of sneakers, maybe ten different average looking t shirts and a couple sweaters and five pairs of jeans, most of which have holes in them). I don't own a car because I lived in a city with terrible traffic for two years. My music selection is as far from the mainstream as a future is from me and I don't run to the nearest FYE to buy the newest lil pump album "to look cool." To put it simply, I forsake basing my entire existence off having the newest and best products from the market. So what is your opinion Nsers? Do you think consumer craze is ruining our culture and country or is the consumer economy a good thing that helps our nation?

But what do they have to do with this?

The Emerald Legion
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 18, 2011
Father Knows Best State

Postby The Emerald Legion » Tue Sep 03, 2019 5:55 am

Washington Resistance Army wrote:
Pacomia wrote:God, I fucking hate that so much. I try to keep old things.

I do this too. I had an iPhone 4 until last week and most people I met were blown away by that and couldn't understand why I didn't get a new one.

I had and used a Nokia Brick phone until two years ago when they finally got around to demolishing the cell infrastructure that supported it.

That phone was run over by an industrial lawn mower and survived.
"23.The unwise man is awake all night, and ponders everything over; when morning comes he is weary in mind, and all is a burden as ever." - Havamal

Valentine Z
Postmaster-General

Postby Valentine Z » Tue Sep 03, 2019 5:55 am

Rojava Free State wrote:
Valentine Z wrote:Yeah, cars are an exception that they do last. I mean for other things in particular, like phones, tablets... mostly electronics, along with some pieces of clothing.

I've owned a fifth generation iPod for seven years now and it currently can only stay charged for maybe 15 to 20 minutes before it has to be charged again. I refuse to get a new one though till I really need it.

Damn, the battery has seen better days. Still, I mean, if it still works, that's pretty good enough! ^^

For me... I have that mostly with my laptop and phones, but my Nikon D5100 is still a champ. You can take maybe a few hundred or even a thousand shots with a single battery, even after like more than 8 years!

The Emerald Legion wrote:
I do this too. I had an iPhone 4 until last week and most people I met were blown away by that and couldn't understand why I didn't get a new one.

That phone was run over by an industrial lawn mower and survived.

I take it that the lawn mower suffered some damage while the phone was intact? :P
Last edited by Valentine Z on Tue Sep 03, 2019 5:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
(✿◠‿◠) ☆ \(^_^)/ ☆

Let Fate sort it out.

Greater vakolicci haven
Post Marshal

Founded: May 09, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Greater vakolicci haven » Tue Sep 03, 2019 5:56 am

Not really, if you fail to save up for your retirement then you have noone else to blame than yourself. Corporations are designed to make money, it's what they're for.
Join the rejected realms and never fear rejection again
NSG virtual happy hour this Saturday: join us on zoom, what could possibly go wrong?
“I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.” - Thomas Jefferson
“Silent acquiescence in the face of tyranny is no better than outright agreement." - C.J. Redwine
“The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles." - Jeff Cooper

Neko-koku
Minister

Founded: Jul 29, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Neko-koku » Tue Sep 03, 2019 5:56 am

Rojava Free State wrote:
Neko-koku wrote:

But what do they have to do with this?

They tend to have good habits.
We are mutant Japanese kitty cats that have taken over a post-human world which was destroyed due to human hatred towards other humans.

Minimark
Spokesperson

Founded: Jan 15, 2019
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Minimark » Tue Sep 03, 2019 5:57 am

I just remind you all, vote with your dollar. That is one of the most direct ways to make a change. Thats why I use ecosia now

Valentine Z
Postmaster-General

Postby Valentine Z » Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:03 am

Minimark wrote:I just remind you all, vote with your dollar. That is one of the most direct ways to make a change. Thats why I use ecosia now

Never heard of them until now, unfortunate for me. Thanks for the new search engine I can use! ^^
(✿◠‿◠) ☆ \(^_^)/ ☆

Let Fate sort it out.

Novus America
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 02, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:11 am

It was not a big problem before race to the bottom outsourcing.
So long as it was made here consumerism created well paying manufacturing jobs.
And we could regulate to reduce pollution and labor abuse, and make sure the producers paid their taxes.

But when we started outsourcing to the places with the lowest wages and worst environment protections it all went to hell. Predictably. When you race to the bottom it is all downhill.
Last edited by Novus America on Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Zombie Ike/Teddy Roosevelt 2020.

Novus America represents my vision of an awesome Atompunk near future United States of America expanded to the entire North American continent, Guyana and the Philippines. The population would be around 700 million.
Think something like prewar Fallout, minus the bad stuff.

Politically I am an independent. I support what is good for the country, which means I cannot support either party.

Le Slavador
Bureaucrat

Founded: Nov 27, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Le Slavador » Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:42 am

Depends? I never buy something just because it is new.
I wanna be an ersatz republic (IC). I'm a male man who likes spontaneity (OOC). Can you guess the flag model? (IC).
This is a joke nation (OOC). Issues answered randomly (IC).

-Ocelot-
Minister

Founded: Jun 14, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby -Ocelot- » Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:56 am

Minimark wrote:I just remind you all, vote with your dollar. That is one of the most direct ways to make a change. Thats why I use ecosia now

I use Ecosia, too. It's not as good as Google, but it's good enough for me. They've planted 66 million trees in total, which is not much in the grand scheme of things, but it's always rising. Most importantly, that fraction of profits actually goes towards reforestation efforts. It's not a scam.

With that being said, voting with your dollar doesn't always work because sometimes all options suck.

Pax Nerdvana
Post Marshal

Founded: May 22, 2017
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Pax Nerdvana » Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:40 am

Pacomia wrote:God, I fucking hate that so much. I try to keep old things.

I still have an iPhone 5. People always wonder why. I believe in the old "wear it out, fix it up, use it up". Hence, I don't give a crap about new shoes or clothes or whatever. I'd rather fix something then buy a new one. I hate planned obsolesence and consumerism in general.
The Internet killed gun control.
Quotes
We Will Not Comply
They can’t stop the Signal
"The universe did never make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract."
-Robert Heinlein

"Affordability
Suitability (.22LR for squirrels, bigger .22s for long range little things, and big-bore for legal hunting reasons, etc)
Ammunition supply-chain (6.5x55 Swede and .303 British, although available, isn't exactly everywhere)
If it's ugly, uncomfortable, and can't shoot straight, but it accomplishes the above, then it's either a Mosin or a Hi-Point."
-Hurtful Thoughts on stuff you want in a gun

Greater vakolicci haven
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Greater vakolicci haven » Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:50 am

Novus America wrote:It was not a big problem before race to the bottom outsourcing.
And we could regulate to reduce pollution and labor abuse, and make sure the producers paid their taxes.

But when we started outsourcing to the places with the lowest wages and worst environment protections it all went to hell. Predictably. When you race to the bottom it is all downhill.

If it's too expensive to use labour in a particular country, it's unreasonable to expect companies to continue doing it.
NSG virtual happy hour this Saturday: join us on zoom, what could possibly go wrong?
“I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.” - Thomas Jefferson
“Silent acquiescence in the face of tyranny is no better than outright agreement." - C.J. Redwine
“The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles." - Jeff Cooper

An Alan Smithee Nation
Powerbroker

Founded: Apr 18, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby An Alan Smithee Nation » Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:54 am

Greater vakolicci haven wrote:
Novus America wrote:It was not a big problem before race to the bottom outsourcing.

If it's too expensive to use labour in a particular country, it's unreasonable to expect companies to continue doing it.

Which is why free movement of people is such an essential part of capitalism. Labour moves to where there are jobs and when they do the push down the cost of labour until it reaches a point where it stops drawing in people. It forms a self regulating system.
Everything is intertwinkled

Valentine Z
Postmaster-General

Postby Valentine Z » Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:55 am

And speaking of Planned Obsolescence and consumerism, I got an issue: "Mining Blues!"

Usually just chose Option 1 or 4.

So there's that.
(✿◠‿◠) ☆ \(^_^)/ ☆

Let Fate sort it out.

The Emerald Legion
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 18, 2011
Father Knows Best State

Postby The Emerald Legion » Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:16 am

In some cases it makes sense. Computer technology for example is always improving.

That being said... It's definitely something that's embraced a bit too heartily because it makes the corps money.
"23.The unwise man is awake all night, and ponders everything over; when morning comes he is weary in mind, and all is a burden as ever." - Havamal

Greater vakolicci haven
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Greater vakolicci haven » Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:48 am

An Alan Smithee Nation wrote:
Greater vakolicci haven wrote:If it's too expensive to use labour in a particular country, it's unreasonable to expect companies to continue doing it.

Which is why free movement of people is such an essential part of capitalism. Labour moves to where there are jobs and when they do the push down the cost of labour until it reaches a point where it stops drawing in people. It forms a self regulating system.

I agree. It's one of the reasons that hopefully in the future the world will have completely open borders.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General