NATION

PASSWORD

Genetically engineered sperm

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Nakena
Post Marshal

Founded: May 06, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Nakena » Fri Aug 23, 2019 2:09 pm

Grenartia wrote:
Sodoran Alesia wrote:
Bro, I think you just inadvertently described the Dominion and the Jem'Hadar from DS9.

I mean, kinda? Not my fault the DS9 writers described a way of oppressing people that utilizes genetic engineering. Its basically no different in structure from this.

Screw the Dominion.

The Khanate of Earth is much better :^)

Grenartia wrote:The first and last point sound pretty weak. In all honesty, the rich will probably create a new caste system. Themselves at the top, with the best enhancements. The military in the middle to enforce their will, with some good enhancements for combat, maybe some enforced dependencies (maybe an addiction to a chemical that only the ones at the top can provide), etc. And everyone else will be worker drones and effectively slaves, consigned to whatever menial labor can't be automated, with modifications to reduce uprisings and whatnot, and to improve labor efficiency.

I believe the PRC would go for such a system and thats what I am afraid of.

Also its remniscent of the slavery system from Cloud Atlas

Cappuccina
Minister

Founded: Jun 05, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Cappuccina » Fri Aug 23, 2019 2:17 pm

Saiwania wrote:
Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:There’s no such thing as racial purity. Wake the fuck up.

But the point is that with Genetic Engineering, it might well be the case that there finally could be racial purity, regardless of the biological parents if the process is a complete rearrangement or editing of existing DNA.

This is like a brand new possibility or world opening up. Nature is too random and imperfect, and has reigned for too long over us. But now, our technology may get to the point where we can do more of what we want, even if this included transitioning a population towards becoming more racially pure or a revival of eugenics efforts- but with more powerful and exact science behind it this time around.

Such a process, within only one or a few generations- could perhaps erase all traces of Neaderthal DNA if people wanted to go in that direction. Neaderthals are extinct, but apparently enough people up to this day, constantly carry 1 to 3% of it that lies dormant and does nothing for the most part.

You truly have a bizzare manner of thinking.

Engineering children for some imaginary goal of "racial purity", is quite frankly utopian, and thus stupid.
Muslim, Female, Trans, Not white..... oppression points x4!!!!
"Latinx" isn't a real word. :^)
Automobile & Music fan!!! ^_^
Also, an everything 1980s fan!!!
Left/Right: -5.25
SocLib/Auth: 2.46

Apparently, I'm an INFP

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Founded: Feb 10, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Fri Aug 23, 2019 3:22 pm

Cappuccina wrote:
Saiwania wrote:
But the point is that with Genetic Engineering, it might well be the case that there finally could be racial purity, regardless of the biological parents if the process is a complete rearrangement or editing of existing DNA.

This is like a brand new possibility or world opening up. Nature is too random and imperfect, and has reigned for too long over us. But now, our technology may get to the point where we can do more of what we want, even if this included transitioning a population towards becoming more racially pure or a revival of eugenics efforts- but with more powerful and exact science behind it this time around.

Such a process, within only one or a few generations- could perhaps erase all traces of Neaderthal DNA if people wanted to go in that direction. Neaderthals are extinct, but apparently enough people up to this day, constantly carry 1 to 3% of it that lies dormant and does nothing for the most part.

Engineering children for some imaginary goal of "racial purity", is quite frankly utopian, and thus stupid.

But mostly stupid.
Slava Ukraini
Also: THERNSY!!
Your story isn't over;֍Help save transgender people's lives֍Help for feral cats
Cat with internet access||Supposedly heartless, & a d*ck.||Is maith an t-earra an tsíocháin.||No TGs
RIP: Dyakovo & Ashmoria

Dooom35796821595
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 11, 2011
Father Knows Best State

Postby Dooom35796821595 » Fri Aug 23, 2019 3:31 pm

Cappuccina wrote:
Saiwania wrote:

I think you mean dystopian.
When life gives you lemons, you BURN THEIR HOUSE DOWN!
Anything can be justified if it is cool. If at first you don't succeed, destroy all in your way.
"Your methods are stupid! Your progress has been stupid! Your intelligence is stupid! For the sake of the mission, you must be terminated!”

Tornado Queendom
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 09, 2016
Mother Knows Best State

Postby Tornado Queendom » Fri Aug 23, 2019 3:31 pm

Kowani wrote:https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2019/08/22/746321083/scientists-attempt-controversial-experiment-to-edit-dna-in-human-sperm-using-cri

Humanity has come a very long way since we were hunter gatherers in Africa. The ability to manipulate the very code of life itself will remain one of our greatest achievements, I believe, if not for the ethics, in what it represents. And here, we have scientists manipulating (or trying to) the DNA of sperm, in this case to reduce the risk of cancer.

So, NSG-is this good or bad? Is this ethical? And genetic engineering as a whole-What should be done?

As should be obvious if you know me, I am all for this. Genetic engineering is a grand tool in the improvement of humanity, and it has the potential to aid so many people.

I don't see this as ethical or evil, just strange.
UNDER ECONOMIC MARTIAL LAW (Communism)
The craziest schizo on NationStates. National Trotskyism is my ideology.
Enron Did Nothing Wrong
Stay Home™
There are three genders: Male, Female, and Spam. I respect your opinion if you think otherwise.
Epstein Didn't Kill Himself™
The future will not look like the Jetsons, it will look like Mutant Rampage BodySlam.

Tornado Queendom
Ambassador

Mother Knows Best State

Postby Tornado Queendom » Fri Aug 23, 2019 3:36 pm

Saiwania wrote:
Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:There’s no such thing as racial purity. Wake the fuck up.

This might be what we need to save Europeans from ending up like the Native Americans

Or even better: We can bring back the Germanic tribes of the middle ages! Who wouldn't want a Visigothic neighbor or a Lingoni wife?
Enron Did Nothing Wrong
Stay Home™
There are three genders: Male, Female, and Spam. I respect your opinion if you think otherwise.
The future will not look like the Jetsons, it will look like Mutant Rampage BodySlam.

Necroghastia
Forum Moderator

Founded: May 11, 2019
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Necroghastia » Fri Aug 23, 2019 3:41 pm

Tornado Queendom wrote:
Saiwania wrote:

This might be what we need to save Europeans from ending up like the Native Americans

Or even better: We can bring back the Germanic tribes of the middle ages! Who wouldn't want a Visigothic neighbor or a Lingoni wife?

No one cares about enabling y'all's raceplay fetish.
The Land of Spooky Scary Skeletons!

Pronouns: she/her

Salandriagado
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 03, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Salandriagado » Fri Aug 23, 2019 3:44 pm

Saiwania wrote:Most people who work with Genetic Engineering are concerned about innate traits that're hard to quantify such as aspects of personality and etc.

But what I'm more concerned about is the genetics behind skin color. If genetic engineering could be used to sustain the White race, even if it is the case that naturally- Whites are doomed to near extinction or permanent minority status if the non-Whites immigrate and breed to much, in comparison to Whites in developed countries.

Why is it that racists always utterly fail to understand Hardy-Weinberg?
Cosara wrote:
Anachronous Rex wrote:Good thing most a majority of people aren't so small-minded, and frightened of other's sexuality.

Over 40% (including me), are, so I fixed the post for accuracy.

Vilatania wrote:
Salandriagado wrote:
Notice that the link is to the notes from a university course on probability. You clearly have nothing beyond the most absurdly simplistic understanding of the subject.
By choosing 1, you no longer have 0 probability of choosing 1. End of subject.

(read up the quote stack)

Deal. £3000 do?[/quote]

Of course.[/quote]

Tornado Queendom
Ambassador

Mother Knows Best State

Postby Tornado Queendom » Fri Aug 23, 2019 3:50 pm

Necroghastia wrote:
Tornado Queendom wrote:This might be what we need to save Europeans from ending up like the Native Americans

Remember: I have LOADS of fetishes, and I would LOVE for my NS Nations' leaders to become real with this one weird trick called Genetic Engineering.
Enron Did Nothing Wrong
Stay Home™

Necroghastia
Forum Moderator

Founded: May 11, 2019
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Necroghastia » Fri Aug 23, 2019 4:03 pm

Tornado Queendom wrote:
Necroghastia wrote:

Remember: I have LOADS of fetishes, and I would LOVE for my NS Nations' leaders to become real with this one weird trick called Genetic Engineering.

Seriously, dude, that's disgusting. No one wants to hear about that shit on a PG-13 forum.
The Land of Spooky Scary Skeletons!

Pronouns: she/her

Salandriagado
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Salandriagado » Fri Aug 23, 2019 4:03 pm

Saiwania wrote:

Apart from all of the other problems with this bullshit, your claim that Neanderthal-derived DNA "does nothing for the most part" is simply a lie: keratin production is a fucking thing.

And, more to the point, "erasing all traces of Neanderthal DNA" would, as a first step, wipe out the "white race" that you so fetishise, given the far higher proportion of Neanderthal ancestry in Europeans than in Africans.
Cosara wrote:
Anachronous Rex wrote:Good thing most a majority of people aren't so small-minded, and frightened of other's sexuality.

Vilatania wrote:
Salandriagado wrote:
Notice that the link is to the notes from a university course on probability. You clearly have nothing beyond the most absurdly simplistic understanding of the subject.

Deal. £3000 do?[/quote]

Of course.[/quote]

Nantoraka
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 19, 2017
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Nantoraka » Sat Aug 24, 2019 2:23 am

Can I give my kids laser vision and telepathy, or have not gotten to those mutations yet?

Grahnol
Envoy

Founded: May 28, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Grahnol » Sat Aug 24, 2019 5:28 am

Nantoraka wrote:Can I give my kids laser vision and telepathy, or have not gotten to those mutations yet?

Sorry, sir. But that's an upgrade with a subscription costing $199.99/m attached to it. We profit off of your body now ;)
Last edited by Grahnol on Sat Aug 24, 2019 5:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
The Interstellar Domain of Grahnol will take the stars!
I'm better than you and everyone in your side is stupid, cringe and evil. Ran out of things to say bottom text
FT nation. Nation doesn't reflect my ideals at all.
Never ever going to use that 'tech tier scales' shit. That's what edgelords use to godmod.

Grahnol
Envoy

Founded: May 28, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Grahnol » Sat Aug 24, 2019 5:39 am

Salandriagado wrote:
Saiwania wrote:

Apart from all of the other problems with this bullshit, your claim that Neanderthal-derived DNA "does nothing for the most part" is simply a lie: keratin production is a fucking thing.

And, more to the point, "erasing all traces of Neanderthal DNA" would, as a first step, wipe out the "white race" that you so fetishise, given the far higher proportion of Neanderthal ancestry in Europeans than in Africans.

Yeah. And don't forget that we have to thank the Neanderthals for a lot of our genes to give us a jump start at immunity against pathogens in Eurasia.

Also, Saiwania, do you know how this 'white race' came about? Evolution. It's the imperfections and randomness of nature that made just about every genetic group, Europeans included, they are the way they are because of adaptation to the conditions in Europe. If nature dictated us differently, than the so-called 'white race' wouldn't be the idealism you envision them as they are. Europeans weren't even white-skinned 10,000-8,000 years ago and also, admixture had a play in the origin of the modern genetics of Europeans, both from genetic groups of our species and from Neanderthals.

Saying nature will take away 'white purity' is asinine.
The Interstellar Domain of Grahnol will take the stars!
I'm better than you and everyone in your side is stupid, cringe and evil. Ran out of things to say bottom text
FT nation. Nation doesn't reflect my ideals at all.
Never ever going to use that 'tech tier scales' shit. That's what edgelords use to godmod.

Salandriagado
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Salandriagado » Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:28 am

Grahnol wrote:
Salandriagado wrote:

Yeah. And don't forget that we have to thank the Neanderthals for a lot of our genes to give us a jump start at immunity against pathogens in Eurasia.

Also, Saiwania, do you know how this 'white race' came about? Evolution. It's the imperfections and randomness of nature that made just about every genetic group, Europeans included, they are the way they are because of adaptation to the conditions in Europe. If nature dictated us differently, than the so-called 'white race' wouldn't be the idealism you envision them as they are. Europeans weren't even white-skinned 10,000-8,000 years ago and also, admixture had a play in the origin of the modern genetics of Europeans, both from genetic groups of our species and from Neanderthals.

Saying nature will take away 'white purity' is asinine.

It gets better: that additional Neanderthal-derived DNA mostly affects the skin.
Cosara wrote:

Vilatania wrote:
Salandriagado wrote:

Deal. £3000 do?[/quote]

Of course.[/quote]

Katganistan
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Katganistan » Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:33 am

Saiwania wrote:Most people who work with Genetic Engineering are concerned about innate traits that're hard to quantify such as aspects of personality and etc.

But what I'm more concerned about is the genetics behind skin color. If genetic engineering could be used to sustain the White race, even if it is the case that naturally- Whites are doomed to near extinction or permanent minority status if the non-Whites immigrate and breed to much, in comparison to Whites in developed countries.

Ugh, this again.

White skin is not inherently superior, more beautiful or ANYTHING. It just is.

Whites are more prone to get skin cancers than non-whites. Maybe instead of programming for whiteness, you should program for less-likely-to-get-cancer.

Aclion
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 12, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Aclion » Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:43 am

Dooom35796821595 wrote:I think you mean dystopian.

same thing
A popular Government, without popular information, or the means of acquiring it, is but a Prologue to a Farce or a Tragedy; or, perhaps both. - James Madison.

LimaUniformNovemberAlpha
Senator

Founded: Apr 05, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby LimaUniformNovemberAlpha » Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:45 am

Question: How do we know that gene that "only increases cancer risk" isn't also a gene for... whatever causes people to have negative opinions of biologists (or oppose biology research grants, etc.) that biologists are covering up?
Trollzyn the Infinite wrote:1. The PRC is not a Communist State, as it has shown absolutely zero interest in achieving Communism.
2. The CCP is not a Communist Party, as it has shown absolutely zero interest in achieving Communism.
3. Xi Jinping and his cronies are not Communists, as they have shown absolutely zero interest in achieving Communism.

How do we know this? Because the first step toward Communism is Socialism, and none of the aforementioned are even remotely Socialist in any way, shape, or form.

Katganistan
Senior Game Moderator

Postby Katganistan » Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:47 am

Saiwania wrote:
Pacomia wrote:God, everything’s about race to you, isn’t it?

Lets say that a young White girl got seduced by an athletic Black stud of a man. He got her pregnant. At least her family has options now if they could afford genetic engineering. Instead of panicking that they'll have to have a half Black baby in their perfectly White family tree, she could instead be taken to a clinic early on and her zygote could be "fixed" such that even if the father is really Black, the baby will still be White.

This couldn't be more perfect. I'd no longer need to worry about any racial groups becoming extinct. But I probably will still need to worry about who is the majority and who is the minority in various places.

What if that interracial couple love each other and adore the idea of having children that resemble them both?

God, your ideas on race are simply abhorrent and fixated on the incorrect notion that any relationship between people of different skin tones is either rape/seduction or being a 'traitor'. I wish I could say such backward notions were non existent.

Get used to white skin being a somewhat recessive trait, and white skin being the minority. It already is in the world population, with white-skinned people being about two of the seven billion on the planet -- the rest being various shades of brown.

30% of the world population is white. That's the reality. Do what you want in your own relationships but stop projecting your fantasy on the majority of people in the world.

LimaUniformNovemberAlpha
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby LimaUniformNovemberAlpha » Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:53 am

Even if it's a concern, it's down to the reputation of black and/or Hispanic men for large penises. (The reputation of any race's woman doesn't really matter to men once she spreads her legs.) If you really want to do something about it, don't fight the uphill battle against sexual pleasure, just subsidize abortion for non-white babies, child care for white babies, and if that doesn't work, make a written promise to get one's tubes tied after [insert arbitrary number of kids here] part of the condition for immigration.
Trollzyn the Infinite wrote:1. The PRC is not a Communist State, as it has shown absolutely zero interest in achieving Communism.
2. The CCP is not a Communist Party, as it has shown absolutely zero interest in achieving Communism.
3. Xi Jinping and his cronies are not Communists, as they have shown absolutely zero interest in achieving Communism.

How do we know this? Because the first step toward Communism is Socialism, and none of the aforementioned are even remotely Socialist in any way, shape, or form.

Katganistan
Senior Game Moderator

Postby Katganistan » Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:54 am

Cappuccina wrote:
Saiwania wrote:

Especially given that all humans originated from Africa.
Lack of skin pigmentation is a genetic mutation that is not altogether healthy.

Many white people end up with skin cancer ironically because they spend time in the sun trying to get brown.

Ifreann
Post Overlord

Founded: Aug 07, 2005
Iron Fist Socialists

Postby Ifreann » Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:55 am

LimaUniformNovemberAlpha wrote:Question: How do we know that gene that "only increases cancer risk" isn't also a gene for... whatever causes people to have negative opinions of biologists (or oppose biology research grants, etc.) that biologists are covering up?

Because genes don't work that way.
He/Him

beating the devil
we never run from the devil
we never summon the devil
we never hide from from the devil
we never

Katganistan
Senior Game Moderator

Postby Katganistan » Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:57 am

Aclion wrote:
Dooom35796821595 wrote:I think you mean dystopian.

same thing

Utopian means a perfect place.
Dystopian means a horrible place.

Not the same thing.

LimaUniformNovemberAlpha
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby LimaUniformNovemberAlpha » Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:00 am

Katganistan wrote:What if that interracial couple love each other and adore the idea of having children that resemble them both?

To be fair, historically most interactions between races consisted of conquest, not love, and lust was just as compatible with conquest as was love... if not more so. Just ask Thomas Jefferson.

Katganistan wrote:God, your ideas on race are simply abhorrent and fixated on the incorrect notion that any relationship between people of different skin tones is either rape/seduction or being a 'traitor'. I wish I could say such backward notions were non existent.

Human nature is human nature. The 60s didn't erase it, it just meant "coercion by the state" became an unacceptable means to express it.

LimaUniformNovemberAlpha
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby LimaUniformNovemberAlpha » Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:01 am

Katganistan wrote:
Cappuccina wrote:You truly have a bizzare manner of thinking.

Especially given that all humans originated from Africa.
Lack of skin pigmentation is a genetic mutation that is not altogether healthy.

Many white people end up with skin cancer ironically because they spend time in the sun trying to get brown.

Why would they do that, other than a belief that black men and Hispanic men get results in the field of dating?

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General