NATION

PASSWORD

Mosque in Galway vandalised in early morning attack

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Highever
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 21, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Highever » Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:08 pm

Nouveau Quebecois wrote:
Rojava Free State wrote:Nothing is more ironic than when people call Muslims terrorists and then engage in terrorism toward Muslims

Vandalism isn't an act of terrorism.

Pretty sure using violence targeting a specific group if people with intent to intimidate falls under domestic terrorism.
ΦΣK
⚦ Through the souls of your brothers and sisters I take My place amongst the Three; through their pleasure I ascend my Throne. Pleasure, for Pleasure's sake! ⚦
Remember Bloody Sunday
A wise man once said, ("We all dead, fuck it")
There's something in the water
Jolthig wrote:Use Soresu and not Juyo.
Charlie Chaplin wrote:Nothing is permanent in this wicked world, not even our troubles.

Imbalistan
Envoy

Founded: May 22, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Imbalistan » Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:09 pm

Highever wrote:
Nouveau Quebecois wrote:Vandalism isn't an act of terrorism.

Pretty sure using violence targeting a specific group if people with intent to intimidate falls under domestic terrorism.

Even if it does not, still, bad.
Best Quote:
Chan Island wrote:And I'm expecting this thread to devolve into a
racist and/or religious and/or politics shitshow within 3 pages.
I LOVE YOU THE WAY YOU ARE
Bismillah, no, we will not let you go!
#YangGang2020

Nouveau Quebecois
Minister

Founded: Jul 22, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Nouveau Quebecois » Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:09 pm

A statement from the association said locks and windows were broken during the attack and security camera equipment was stolen from inside the building.
This seems awfully suspicious. Were there any messages spray-painted or damage to the interior? Did the attackers simple break in, steal the "security camera equipment", smash windows, and leave? What's the point of that?
Last edited by Nouveau Quebecois on Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Don't talk to Moderators.
Don't associate with Moderators.
Don't trust Moderators.

Moderators Lie.

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Founded: Feb 10, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:10 pm

Eternal Lotharia wrote:
Agarntrop wrote:Indeed. Religiously aggravated criminal damage is a class B Felony, after all.

We need to ensure Atheists are punished for this as well, I've heard of some cases where they do it and the popular opinion in on their side with the vandalism-usually of Christian sites.

I admit that may be wrong info on the matter, but something I thought should be raised because some Atheists act like their immune to the rules-not the majority however, thankfully.

Quite often the vandalizing you speak of is done by other religious people, and seldom by atheists.
Slava Ukraini
Also: THERNSY!!
Your story isn't over;֍Help save transgender people's lives֍Help for feral cats
Cat with internet access||Supposedly heartless, & a d*ck.||Is maith an t-earra an tsíocháin.||No TGs
RIP: Dyakovo & Ashmoria

Greater Kongo-Zaire
Lobbyist

Founded: Feb 21, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Greater Kongo-Zaire » Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:11 pm

Eternal Lotharia wrote:
Greater Kongo-Zaire wrote:
Ewww no I hate the New Left, it’s a disgrace.

My solution, you ask? French-Revolution-Style Red Terror. Destroy everything to do with selfish people, including snowflakes, the rich, and anyone who believes in autocracy. Including the caliphate. Yes, I am a Communist. A true Communist, and darn proud of it. Love your neighbor as yourself.

Ironic, you preach love and liberty but espouse hate and tyranny.

Liberty is a political gimick, nothing else. And I only love the Proletariat. Every other ideology besides that of the common man—democracy and communism—are inherently fascist. Especially selfish libertarianism. You cannot do whatever you want to others. I mean, you can, but then others can and will retaliate.

Liberty, Equality, Fraternity means:

Liberty—Political freedom, democracy
Equality—Economic equality, elimination of class; Communism
Fraternity—the social ideology; go with the collective good, in unity, or be destroyed. Snowflakish individualism is a scourge on mankind.

Santa Regada
Bureaucrat

Founded: Jun 18, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Santa Regada » Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:11 pm

Eternal Lotharia wrote:
Santa Regada wrote:Pretty sure this would just backfire and help the whole "we are under siege by Islam" rhetoric if there is now mandatory classes on Islam separate from regular RE classes. You learn about Islam in RE.

I actually want classes on Christianity, Judaism, etc in RE as well, so I have a similar idea to you.

The only difference is that RE is mandatory and focuses a lot on characterizations that Anti-Semites, Islamophobes, and Hateful Atheists have for each religion.

Well you can only squeeze so much information into a class thats on for like one or two periods like once or twice a week. Now imagine trying to do that with three separate classes for Christianity, Judaism, and Islam. It's a good idea on paper, not so much in practice. Also remember the school systems (ie. term lengths, exam dates, etc) differ in Europe, North and Latin America and so do the specific requirements to meet x y z exams. How will a class on Islam be implemented across the West? One could argue for example that in my country (Colombia) there doesn't need to be a class on Judaism or Islam because there are such a tiny number of Jews and Muslims in the country, why should it be split from regular RE?

Nouveau Quebecois
Minister

Founded: Jul 22, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Nouveau Quebecois » Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:12 pm

Eternal Lotharia wrote:Ironic, you preach love and liberty but espouse hate and tyranny.

Liberty is a political gimick, nothing else. And I only love the Proletariat. Every other ideology besides that of the common man—democracy and communism—are inherently fascist. Especially selfish libertarianism. You cannot do whatever you want to others. I mean, you can, but then others can and will retaliate.

Fraternity—the social ideology; go with the collective good, in unity, or be destroyed. Snowflakish individualism is a scourge on mankind.

Speaking about the Mosque, can you somehow tie this incident of religious violence to the triumph of the proletariat?
Don't talk to Moderators.
Don't associate with Moderators.
Don't trust Moderators.

Moderators Lie.

Highever
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Highever » Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:12 pm

Eternal Lotharia wrote:Ironic, you preach love and liberty but espouse hate and tyranny.

One: Doing whatever you please to others without consequence is not at all what llibertarianism is about, and seconf it is pretty hard to take you seriously when you try to advocate mass murder of everyone based on qualifiers while trying to also say that you should love your neighbor.
ΦΣK
⚦ Through the souls of your brothers and sisters I take My place amongst the Three; through their pleasure I ascend my Throne. Pleasure, for Pleasure's sake! ⚦
Remember Bloody Sunday
Charlie Chaplin wrote:Nothing is permanent in this wicked world, not even our troubles.

Greater Kongo-Zaire
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Greater Kongo-Zaire » Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:12 pm

Cerinda wrote:
Ewww no I hate the New Left, it’s a disgrace.

My solution, you ask? French-Revolution-Style Red Terror. Destroy everything to do with selfish people, including snowflakes, the rich, and anyone who believes in autocracy. Including the caliphate. Yes, I am a Communist. A true Communist, and darn proud of it. Love your neighbor as yourself.

This has to be a troll.

I fail to see how sharing my opinion in open discussion warrants trolling. So long as it doesn’t go too far, of course.

Also, knock off the trollnaming.

Fascist Soyouso
Spokesperson

Founded: Jun 23, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Fascist Soyouso » Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:13 pm

People with irrational hatred for a group of people don't care to differentiate between the extremists they claim to be against and people who are more moderate, because their hatred wasn't about fighting extremists in the first place. What else is new?

I don't like Islam the same amount I don't like various other organized religions, and I'm definitely feeling threatened by the increasing threat of Christian and Islamic fundamentalism. That doesn't mean people deserve to be terrorized for their religious beliefs. People are capable of not doing bad things just because scripture says to, living and let living and all that.

But of course, people don't get that, and then shit like this happens. Really have no clue how to handle these types of situations, it's complicated.
Last edited by Fascist Soyouso on Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:14 pm

Just checking but has anyone owned up to who did it or might have done it?
Slava Ukraini
Cat with internet access||Supposedly heartless, & a d*ck.||Is maith an t-earra an tsíocháin.||No TGs

Valentine Z
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 08, 2015
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Valentine Z » Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:14 pm

Eternal Lotharia wrote:
Valentine Z wrote:No matter the motive, or any political nature behind, vandalism is still a crime. It is never right to vandalise just because of a political view, no matter what it might be.

What about Graffitti done just for fun?

I.E. on random walls with no words on them.

I think that depends on the context... a lot of grey areas.

I know places like Brazil are pretty big with graffiti artists, but still... like I said, grey areas, that I am exactly not very sure about. Some are approved by the owners to spray for them, some are done without acknowledgement.
Val's Stuff. ♡ ^_^ ♡ For You
If you are reading my sig, I want you to have the best day ever ! You are worth it, do not let anyone get you down !
Glory to De Geweldige Sierlijke Katachtige Utopia en Zijne Autonome Machten ov Valentine Z !
(✿◠‿◠) ☆ \(^_^)/ ☆

Issues Thread Photography Stuff Project: Save F7. Stats Analysis

The Sixty! Valentian Stories! Gwen's Adventures!

• Never trouble trouble until trouble troubles you.
• World Map is a cat playing with Australia.
Let Fate sort it out.

Greater Kongo-Zaire
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Greater Kongo-Zaire » Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:15 pm

Nouveau Quebecois wrote:

Speaking about the Mosque, can you somehow tie this incident of religious violence to the triumph of the proletariat?

Another victory of the masses against an ideology that advocates autocracy and religious genocide...

Nakena
Post Marshal

Founded: May 06, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Nakena » Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:16 pm

Valentine Z wrote:
Eternal Lotharia wrote:What about Graffitti done just for fun?

I know places like Brazil are pretty big with graffiti artists, but still... like I said, grey areas, that I am exactly not very sure about. Some are approved by the owners to spray for them, some are done without acknowledgement.

I used to be a sprayer in my wild years. We never got caught.
Last edited by Nakena on Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:16 pm

Valentine Z wrote:
Eternal Lotharia wrote:What about Graffitti done just for fun?

You're correct. Graffiti is one of those things that can be viewed as street art or as vandalizing. Often, what is considered art in intent, has usually been approved by either a private person or the city.
Slava Ukraini

Agarntrop
Powerbroker

Founded: May 14, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Agarntrop » Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:16 pm

Cerinda wrote:This has to be a troll.

I fail to see how sharing my opinion in open discussion warrants trolling. So long as it doesn’t go too far, of course.

Also, knock off the trollnaming.

Oi you knock off the trollnamernaming.
Labour Party (UK), Progressive Democrat (US)
Left Without Edge
Former Senator Barry Anderson (R-MO)

Governor Tara Misra (R-KY)

Representative John Atang (D-NY03)

Governor Max Smith (R-AZ)

State Senator Simon Hawkins (D-IA)

Join Land of Hope and Glory - a UK political RP project

Highever
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Highever » Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:17 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:Just checking but has anyone owned up to who did it or might have done it?

I am guessing it was not any sort of organized group and just a bunch of local jackasses. I'm sure if you asked at the local pub though they could point you to a few pricks who were bragging about what they did.
ΦΣK
Remember Bloody Sunday

Nakena
Post Marshal

Founded: May 06, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Nakena » Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:18 pm

Eternal Lotharia wrote:Jews have faced the most extensive history of forced exodus and discrimination in history. Not to mention Israel is a global flashpoint, so educating people on the importance of Zionism to the Jewish religion-even if some Jews don't follow it-would work wonders.

I'm for comprehensive education reform to make such a system workable. I myself also want to add greater focus and make classes on IR, Civics, Economics, Psychology, and English-or your national equivalent to a primary language-mandatory with overhauls of the two latter classes.

I believe, that personally, this program will not only combat political misinformation and lack of knowledge by the public, but also combat religious, racial, and political intolerance. It's a systemic issue, not a isolated issue, and must be combated as a whole, as part of a wider, sweeping solution.

This would also require an overhaul of the education structure itself, so it's a long-term goal.

That however, is my preferred method to permanently eradicate religious intolerance and vandalism such as this, with other important benefits.

Education does not shields against extremism.

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:19 pm

Highever wrote:
Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:Just checking but has anyone owned up to who did it or might have done it?

I am guessing it was not any sort of organized group and just a bunch of local jackasses. I'm sure if you asked at the local pub though they could point you to a few pricks who were bragging about what they did.

I was wondering because usually if it's a group of jackasses, they'll definitely brag about it as you pointed out but sometimes certain groups do carry out such acts and then take ownership of it. Was wondering if this incident fell into one of those instances.
Slava Ukraini

HUElavia
Minister

Founded: Jun 04, 2015
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby HUElavia » Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:19 pm

Regardless whether it is a Mosque, Church, Synagogue or Temple, no place of worship deserves to be vandalized or harmed in any way. These places ought to be respected as a place for people to come pray to their God(s), as well as it's awful to harm a place that represents someone's culture.

I hope the criminal gets caught by authorities and is brought to proper justice.

Imbalistan
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Imbalistan » Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:21 pm

HUElavia wrote:Regardless whether it is a Mosque, Church, Synagogue or Temple, no place of worship deserves to be vandalized or harmed in any way. These places ought to be respected as a place for people to come pray to their God(s), as well as it's awful to harm a place that represents someone's culture.

I hope the criminal gets caught by authorities and is brought to proper justice.

Yeah.
Best Quote:
#YangGang2020

Greater Kongo-Zaire
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Greater Kongo-Zaire » Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:21 pm

Highever wrote:

One: Doing whatever you please to others without consequence is not at all what llibertarianism is about, and seconf it is pretty hard to take you seriously when you try to advocate mass murder of everyone based on qualifiers while trying to also say that you should love your neighbor.

Right, so how is judicial punishment by will of the 99% mass murder? Plus Islamists are the biggest mass murderers of all time. Except maybe for the Mongol Khans and socialist autocrats like Stalin.
Last edited by Greater Kongo-Zaire on Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Huskar Social Union
Khan of Spam

Founded: Apr 04, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Huskar Social Union » Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:22 pm

Assholes.
Irish Nationalist from Belfast / Leftwing / Atheist / Alliance Party voter
"I never thought in terms of being a leader, i thought very simply in terms of helping people" - John Hume 1937 - 2020

I like Miniature painting, Tanks, English Gals, Video games and most importantly Cheese.

Imbalistan
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Imbalistan » Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:22 pm

The Huskar Social Union wrote:Assholes.

Are you calling us that?
Best Quote:
#YangGang2020

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:22 pm

Imbalistan wrote:
The Huskar Social Union wrote:Assholes.

Are you calling us that?

He's referring to the attackers.
Slava Ukraini

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General