NATION

PASSWORD

NS stats with Catsfern 2 electric boogaloo

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Kragholm Free States
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 19, 2017
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Kragholm Free States » Fri May 24, 2019 2:19 pm

Catsfern wrote:when there is a large discrepancy between factbook and stat I side with the stat

So I shall ask again, how do you suppose 4.573 billion people are going to fit on a few small islands in the Arctic Ocean?

When there is a large discrepancy between factbook and stat, there's usually a good reason.
Formerly New Aerios, Est. 2012.
I don't use NS stats, here's my perpetually WIP factbooks.
Obligatory Political Compass:
Econ: 3.88 (R), Soc: -4.97 (L)
Civil Libertarian, Monarchist, Decentralist, Economic Localist, Englishman.
Old posts not necessarily representative of current views.

Hammer Britannia
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 08, 2016
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Hammer Britannia » Fri May 24, 2019 2:20 pm

Catsfern wrote:Like I said I’m under no such impression and use factbooks a good bit to get a feel for different nations, however a lot of nations claim to be different in similar ways heck I couldn’t tell you how many alt history Germanys there are. So because of that I use stats as another tool to asses nations, and when there is a large discrepancy between factbook and stat I side with the stat

You are not listening to us, aren't you? You're off in your la-la land about how "Muh Realism" when that has been debunked multiple times.

As for the "being unique" thing, NS stats do not make a nation more unique. In fact, they make them less unique as the only lore and governmental stuff is based off what a satire site determined for them.
All shall tremble before me

Hammer Britannia
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 08, 2016
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Hammer Britannia » Fri May 24, 2019 2:21 pm

Kragholm Free States wrote:
Catsfern wrote:when there is a large discrepancy between factbook and stat I side with the stat

So I shall ask again, how do you suppose 4.573 billion people are going to fit on a few small islands in the Arctic Ocean?

When there is a large discrepancy between factbook and stat, there's usually a good reason.

Every building at least a mile high, obviously.
All shall tremble before me

Highever
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 21, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Highever » Fri May 24, 2019 2:25 pm

Catsfern wrote:Like I said I’m under no such impression and use factbooks a good bit to get a feel for different nations, however a lot of nations claim to be different in similar ways heck I couldn’t tell you how many alt history Germanys there are. So because of that I use stats as another tool to asses nations, and when there is a large discrepancy between factbook and stat I side with the stat

Then I would stop complaining about people being mad for you ignoring their nation building and hard work. There are thousands of players and endless possibilities, and it seems pretty unfair that you are demanding that the align to your narrow sense of realism. Plus its already been described why NS stats being considered realistic is absurd in itself.

I ask again, how can you judge a nation like mine if I decided to RP with it using NS stats when it takes place in a land of magic, medeival period tech level, dragons, demons, Darkspawn, giant horned men with gunpowder, elves and dwarves among many other things?
ΦΣK
⚦ Through the souls of your brothers and sisters I take My place amongst the Three; through their pleasure I ascend my Throne. Pleasure, for Pleasure's sake! ⚦
Remember Bloody Sunday
A wise man once said, ("We all dead, fuck it")
There's something in the water
Jolthig wrote:Use Soresu and not Juyo.
Charlie Chaplin wrote:Nothing is permanent in this wicked world, not even our troubles.

Aeritai
Minister

Founded: Oct 25, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Aeritai » Fri May 24, 2019 2:28 pm

I just like using factbooks over NS stats since I can explore more ideas and stories I can make.

For example I have a quarntine nation that has to deal with Zombies and a nation where both magic and technology exist.

And given the current world that those two nations reside in NS stats are completely useless in my opinion. When I make a new nation I don't even bother answering any issues.
Just call me Aeri
IC: This is a fantasy medieval nation full of deer people... Yes you read that right, deer people
I am a Human Female

Highever
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Highever » Fri May 24, 2019 2:28 pm

Also...how the heck does only looking at their NS Stats make nations more unique instead of reading their very individualized and often detailed factbooks??
ΦΣK
⚦ Through the souls of your brothers and sisters I take My place amongst the Three; through their pleasure I ascend my Throne. Pleasure, for Pleasure's sake! ⚦
Remember Bloody Sunday
Charlie Chaplin wrote:Nothing is permanent in this wicked world, not even our troubles.

Pope Joan
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 11, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Pope Joan » Fri May 24, 2019 2:41 pm

Nakena wrote:Move the thread to gameplay forum. That be the approperiate subcategory.

seems fair
"Life is difficult".

-M. Scott Peck

Valentine Z
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 08, 2015
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Valentine Z » Fri May 24, 2019 2:48 pm

Highever wrote:Also...how the heck does only looking at their NS Stats make nations more unique instead of reading their very individualized and often detailed factbooks??

I admire at the Top 1% badges I got, but at the same time, I respect and read the factbooks. :D

With that said to Catsfern, more power to you if you want to use NS Stats for everyone. But don't be surprised if people sent you a TG to use their factbooks after you have referenced their NS Stats again and again.
Val's Stuff. ♡ ^_^ ♡ For You
If you are reading my sig, I want you to have the best day ever ! You are worth it, do not let anyone get you down !
Glory to De Geweldige Sierlijke Katachtige Utopia en Zijne Autonome Machten ov Valentine Z !
(✿◠‿◠) ☆ \(^_^)/ ☆

Issues Thread Photography Stuff Project: Save F7. Stats Analysis

The Sixty! Valentian Stories! Gwen's Adventures!

• Never trouble trouble until trouble troubles you.
• World Map is a cat playing with Australia.
Let Fate sort it out.

Lillorainen
Senator

Founded: Apr 17, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Lillorainen » Fri May 24, 2019 3:07 pm

Oii, it's your selective lad from the first thread again! ^^

Now, apart from the lack of realism of the stats, which has already been mentioned (70% tax rate, even higher for the wealthy, but one of the most efficient economies in the world, sure ... and 2.3 billion people wonderfully fit into an archipelago of Sweden's size, of course ...), I wonder about something else. You must know, that I'm very active in character-based roleplays, which is also why I don't focus on statistics a lot, anyways, but rather on dealing with cultural differences and particularities - these things that make a nation truly unique in my eyes. Now, how, in your opinion, do my NS stats, even if I did use them, tell you anything about my nation's culture? Whereas I'm willing to admit, that the skyrocketing sales of certain items (beverages, cars, guns, technological devices, books) do allow a certain conclusion as to what's popular, and therefore part of my nation's culture, I do wonder how one should know about the number of very different dialects and minority languages and their different dialects, about my religious makeup (the majority follows Norse Paganism, but elements of Old Slavic Paganism and various Oriental cults have their place here as well), about how the government is run (Lillorainen defines itself as a Federative National Meritocracy), about the drinking culture (Survival Tip: never ever mix beer with anything else than more beer!), the cuisine (praised be Aegir and the seafood He sends us), about gestures and their meaning (the divers' 'okay sign' actually also means 'a**hole' in Lillorainen), yadda yadda yadda, only by reading and referring to these stats?
Unless you can convince me, that my NS stats tell more about my nation than already just the above paragraph, not to mention my various other forum posts, and the proper factbook I'm yet working at, I'd say, correct, there is nothing relevant for RP interaction with me which could read out of my stats or one of 27 possible government types.
And now you! ;)
Since Lillorainen's geography is currently being overhauled a 'tiny' bit, most information on it posted before December 12, 2018, is not entirely reliable anymore. Until there's a new, proper factfile, everything you might need to know can be found here. Thank you. #RetconOfDoom (Very late update, 2020/08/30 - it's still going on ...)

Catsfern
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 09, 2017
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Catsfern » Fri May 24, 2019 3:28 pm

You see everything you listed is things that stats simply don’t cover and things I’m perfectly fine with you making factbooks on because none of that interferes with stats (except maybe religious make up if you say you have really high religiousness but the stat says it’s really low but I haven’t checked that) but as I’ve said before I use factbooks a good bit to get context on things stats simply don’t cover but if there’s a large discrepancy between the stats that are covered and what’s in the factbook I’m going with what the stat says.

Catsfern
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 09, 2017
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Catsfern » Fri May 24, 2019 3:30 pm

Highever wrote:Also...how the heck does only looking at their NS Stats make nations more unique instead of reading their very individualized and often detailed factbooks??

And as for you I don’t only use the factbooks read like everything else I’ve posted here so far or my dig

Highever
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Highever » Fri May 24, 2019 3:38 pm

Catsfern wrote:You see everything you listed is things that stats simply don’t cover and things I’m perfectly fine with you making factbooks on because none of that interferes with stats (except maybe religious make up if you say you have really high religiousness but the stat says it’s really low but I haven’t checked that) but as I’ve said before I use factbooks a good bit to get context on things stats simply don’t cover but if there’s a large discrepancy between the stats that are covered and what’s in the factbook I’m going with what the stat says.

It really feels like you're still trying to play reality dictator or something with people's nations and it really isnt coming off very well. It seems like you're basically saying something like "oh you say you have a religious nation? Well no you dont because your NS stats which you potentially havent answered issues on in over a year say otherwise." In other words, it feels like you're trying to tell people what they can and cannot do for some reason.

If you really want to do this for some reason, like ignore everyone and try and tell them what they can and cannot be and continually misrepresent them as to what they desire, I hope you also do not have any further complaints about people being mad or annoyed.

Like what actually is the purpose of doing this in anyway? It seems like a needless way to antagonize people and deliberately rub people the wrong way by taking it upon yourself to say what is permissible and what isnt. And that certainly isnt how actual RP works I'd you are wanting to get involved with that at some point. Like I said, you need to have respect for other peoples nations and ideas and right now....it just sounds like you dont at all if you dont personally like what they have written down.
Last edited by Highever on Fri May 24, 2019 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ΦΣK
Remember Bloody Sunday

Lillorainen
Senator

Founded: Apr 17, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Lillorainen » Fri May 24, 2019 3:39 pm

Catsfern wrote:You see everything you listed is things that stats simply don’t cover and things I’m perfectly fine with you making factbooks on because none of that interferes with stats (except maybe religious make up if you say you have really high religiousness but the stat says it’s really low but I haven’t checked that) but as I’ve said before I use factbooks a good bit to get context on things stats simply don’t cover but if there’s a large discrepancy between the stats that are covered and what’s in the factbook I’m going with what the stat says.

Thank you for actually underlining my argument in lieu of even trying to contradict. ;)
There we go again - indeed, my religiousness stat is extremely low, and so is, sadly, my lifespan. I'm just imagining, how a character from your nation visits Lillorainen, finds him-/herself in an entire, huge hall full of 90-year-olds praying to Odin, and says, "Strange, according to the statistics I've read, this is impossible to happen!" A funny imagination, sure, but it isn't exactly what I define as a roleplay supposed to be fun. This is why I, and apparently almost everybody in this thread, insist on NS stats being ignored in roleplay. Plus, not everyone collects badges. ^^
Since Lillorainen's geography is currently being overhauled a 'tiny' bit, most information on it posted before December 12, 2018, is not entirely reliable anymore. Until there's a new, proper factfile, everything you might need to know can be found here. Thank you. #RetconOfDoom (Very late update, 2020/08/30 - it's still going on ...)

Jakker
Retired Moderator

Founded: May 17, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Jakker » Fri May 24, 2019 3:54 pm

This thread is in the wrong forum and has been largely unproductive. Catsfern, stop making threads about this topic. Whether a players uses their NS stats or not is up to them. Locking.
Last edited by Jakker on Fri May 24, 2019 3:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
One Stop Rules Shop
Getting Help Request (GHR)

The Bruce wrote:Mostly I feel sorry for [raiders], because they put in all this effort and at the end of the day have nothing to show for it and have created nothing.

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General