NATION

PASSWORD

NS stats with Catsfern 2 electric boogaloo

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Highever
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 21, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Highever » Fri May 24, 2019 12:43 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
Highever wrote:The main problem is that nations vary so massively and oftentimes do not fit within the confines addressed by issues. For example, if I decided to make this an RP nation, how would that work? It is a relatively small fiefdom that takes place in a high medeival fantasy setting. How would that work with NS Stats?

Imagine mine. A nation of cats.

There’s a reason why I haven’t RPed in over a decade. :lol2:

Both of ours would be quite interesting to imagine with issues outcomes.

"Abortion is legal in Highever": in other news blood magic is on a massive spike as pregnant ladies of the small folk and high born alike hire apostates to remove their foeti through forbidden spells. An Exalted March is being considered by the Chantry in response.
Last edited by Highever on Fri May 24, 2019 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ΦΣK
⚦ Through the souls of your brothers and sisters I take My place amongst the Three; through their pleasure I ascend my Throne. Pleasure, for Pleasure's sake! ⚦
Remember Bloody Sunday
A wise man once said, ("We all dead, fuck it")
There's something in the water
Jolthig wrote:Use Soresu and not Juyo.
Charlie Chaplin wrote:Nothing is permanent in this wicked world, not even our troubles.

Valentine Z
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 08, 2015
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Valentine Z » Fri May 24, 2019 12:45 pm

Highever wrote:
Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:

"Abortion is legal in Highever": in other news blood magic is on a massive spike as pregnant ladies of the small folk and high born alike hire apostates to remove their foeti through forbidden spells. An Exalted March is being considered by the Chantry in response.

My policies is a rather funny one...

No Sex
Biological reproduction is prohibited.

I don't remember ever putting up that policy, and for a nation named VALENTINE... ;_;
Val's Stuff. ♡ ^_^ ♡ For You
If you are reading my sig, I want you to have the best day ever ! You are worth it, do not let anyone get you down !
Glory to De Geweldige Sierlijke Katachtige Utopia en Zijne Autonome Machten ov Valentine Z !
(✿◠‿◠) ☆ \(^_^)/ ☆

Issues Thread Photography Stuff Project: Save F7. Stats Analysis

The Sixty! Valentian Stories! Gwen's Adventures!

• Never trouble trouble until trouble troubles you.
• World Map is a cat playing with Australia.
Let Fate sort it out.

Hammer Britannia
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 08, 2016
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Hammer Britannia » Fri May 24, 2019 12:49 pm

Valentine Z wrote:
Highever wrote:Both of ours would be quite interesting to imagine with issues outcomes.

My policies is a rather funny one...

No Sex
Biological reproduction is prohibited.

I don't remember ever putting up that policy, and for a nation named VALENTINE... ;_;

Valentine Z: Literally named after love
Someone: Shows love
Valentine Z: Wait, that's illegal
All shall tremble before me

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Founded: Feb 10, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Fri May 24, 2019 12:50 pm

Highever wrote:
Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:

Your nation sounds like it would be hilarious to see in action.
Slava Ukraini
Also: THERNSY!!
Your story isn't over;֍Help save transgender people's lives֍Help for feral cats
Cat with internet access||Supposedly heartless, & a d*ck.||Is maith an t-earra an tsíocháin.||No TGs
RIP: Dyakovo & Ashmoria

Catsfern
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 09, 2017
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Catsfern » Fri May 24, 2019 12:51 pm

Hey sorry I haven’t responded to anyone in a bit been busy but anyway
Yes there is difficulty matching an rp nation with stats but an alternative species is an easy one to work around the population stat never specified human population so stating your population is of a different species is fair game

And as far as the government increasing funding to a program without raising taxation. The government can get the money the same way real governments get money without raising taxes loans, or take notice that ns only measure income tax and there are other sorts of taxes the government can raise like sales tax or emissions tax

Highever
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Highever » Fri May 24, 2019 12:51 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
Highever wrote:Both of ours would be quite interesting to imagine with issues outcomes.

Your nation sounds like it would be hilarious to see in action.

I cant take credit for any of it it's just lifted strait from Dragon Age :p
ΦΣK
⚦ Through the souls of your brothers and sisters I take My place amongst the Three; through their pleasure I ascend my Throne. Pleasure, for Pleasure's sake! ⚦
Remember Bloody Sunday
Charlie Chaplin wrote:Nothing is permanent in this wicked world, not even our troubles.

Hammer Britannia
Negotiator

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Hammer Britannia » Fri May 24, 2019 12:54 pm

Highever wrote:
Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:

"Homosexuality is legal in Hammer Britannia": In other news, Cthulhu has risen out of the Ocean and is now fighting Richard Nixon in hand-to-hand combat

Valentine Z
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 08, 2015
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Valentine Z » Fri May 24, 2019 12:56 pm

Hammer Britannia wrote:

"Homosexuality is legal in Hammer Britannia": In other news, Cthulhu has risen out of the Ocean and is now fighting Richard Nixon in hand-to-hand combat

That's so random, but at the same time... it's appropriate for your nation.

Also I think this might be in the wrong forums... Should I ask that this be moved, or was this already done? :P
Never mind, it's been requested to move.
Last edited by Valentine Z on Fri May 24, 2019 12:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Val's Stuff. ♡ ^_^ ♡ For You
If you are reading my sig, I want you to have the best day ever ! You are worth it, do not let anyone get you down !
Glory to De Geweldige Sierlijke Katachtige Utopia en Zijne Autonome Machten ov Valentine Z !
(✿◠‿◠) ☆ \(^_^)/ ☆

Issues Thread Photography Stuff Project: Save F7. Stats Analysis

The Sixty! Valentian Stories! Gwen's Adventures!

• Never trouble trouble until trouble troubles you.
• World Map is a cat playing with Australia.
Let Fate sort it out.

Highever
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Highever » Fri May 24, 2019 12:57 pm

Catsfern wrote:Hey sorry I haven’t responded to anyone in a bit been busy but anyway
Yes there is difficulty matching an rp nation with stats but an alternative species is an easy one to work around the population stat never specified human population so stating your population is of a different species is fair game

And as far as the government increasing funding to a program without raising taxation. The government can get the money the same way real governments get money without raising taxes loans, or take notice that ns only measure income tax and there are other sorts of taxes the government can raise like sales tax or emissions tax

So in otherwords....things that would be most likely found in factbooks and not NS stats? As you yourself just said there are massive shortcomings to the NS stats. Which is why many people, perhaps most, do not use them. Which again, if you want to avoid conflict in RP threads, you're going to have to respect if you want to have productive RP.
ΦΣK
Remember Bloody Sunday

Federal Spanish States
Spokesperson

Founded: Feb 19, 2019
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Federal Spanish States » Fri May 24, 2019 1:07 pm

Here's the answer:

Do whatever you fucking want, just respect other people's choices in F7 games.

For example, I use NS stats + factbooks myself, but I don't mind reading (or atleast trying to read) factbooks.

Really, it all comes down to your choice.
Last edited by Federal Spanish States on Fri May 24, 2019 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yesn't signature.
The consequences of the creation of NSG have been disastrous for NS as a whole. NSG Delenda Est.
Apparently, the guy who coined the term "Drewpocalypse". No longer active on this account, has moved on to Foehn Paramilitary Regions.
- Yesn't is the only legal way to say no. Change my mind.
- You ever mod your nation's flag into a game just for a dumb idea? Yeah...
- The Spanish keyboard layout is underrated.
- henlo.
- How to avoid getting summerposted on F7

Iciaros
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Sep 30, 2014
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Iciaros » Fri May 24, 2019 1:11 pm

Highever wrote:General rule of thumb is to ask if people use FB or NS stats if they dont already state which one they use. If they have a preference and if they let that be known and you dint listen they're bound to get a little annoyed, yeah.

This describes my view quite succinctly. Everything aside, people want to be treated a certain way, and wouldn't it just be respectful to them to deal with them in that way? I can't see the harm in it, and I just don't see the point in insisting on using the stats and making them upset.

Highever wrote:Alot of people separate gameplay and RP. Issues are game play, fact books are RP.

Also this. I've changed the way I answer issues and am doing things completely differently just because I want the 'benevolent dictatorship' title. Plus, as has been mentioned, stats are hard to adjust because you have to wait for the right issue to come along, people make mistakes, and some things are ridiculously difficult to come by - I've had emigration banned for the longest time, and I've been waiting literal months for the issue to come around again because I can't imagine how it got that way in the first place. Plus, things like population just can't be adjusted without waiting for years - a galactic republic can't possibly be expected to have just like 10 million people, and it'd be impossible for a tiny island nation to have 10 billion. Surely it would be absurd to try and force them to obey their NSstats population data.

This is, of course, in addition to the shortcomings mentioned by other posters.
Iciaros' Q&A: Ask whatever you want!

New Imperial Order of Iciaros
Sovereign | Heir | Chief Ambassador | Grand Admiral | Grand General
High Fantasy, Absolute Monarchy. PMT/FT on this scale. Current Year: 726 AA.
NationStates stats and policies are non-canon. Refer to factbooks for accurate information.
Welcome to the spoiler! ^.^ You are a great person and you should love yourself!
I go by Icia or Ici, pronoun she. I'm a hopeful writer and hopeless law student. Also, I'm afraid of basically everything.
I can't make everyone be nice to each other, but I can at least try to be nice myself.
Does my nation reflect my beliefs? Well, it's complicated.

Highever
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Highever » Fri May 24, 2019 1:18 pm

Iciaros wrote:snip

Oh yeah that is the absolute worst, like making a mistake on am issue or having an issue outcome be not at all what you expected and then you're stuck with it. I think on my RP nation which has the highest level of rights in both civil rights and political freedoms it still says I named immigration or something. Another reason using NS stats, especially against peoples will, is really not s good thing at all.
ΦΣK
Remember Bloody Sunday

Catsfern
Diplomat

Postby Catsfern » Fri May 24, 2019 1:28 pm

If you’re worried about misclicking you can change the settings so that confirmation is needed on the choice you make before it’s processed

Quaeg
Attaché

Founded: Mar 27, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Quaeg » Fri May 24, 2019 1:41 pm

My personal opinion is that the NS stats can be a bit unpredictable and not necessarily a representation of my intent when answering an issue. However, this isn't necessarily a bad thing for me.

I choose responses as in character as possible and sometimes they give me strange, unexpected stat changes. It's often tedious, I wont lie. However, I view it as a parallel to instances where changes in a nation's policy might have unintended results (not an accurate representation, just a parallel).

In this sense, stats are just a roleplay aspect which I find handy because they add an element of randomness and lack of total control which would be present in running a real nation.

With this said, when I look at other peoples' nations I always go for factbooks over stats. I'd rather hear about the nation from the author themself. But I don't consider the stats a bad thing, really, and if a nation abides by them to the letter then so be it.
So, this is where I write a signature. I'll replace this with something else later.
Quaeg's just a nation trying to make its way in the world. We're out-of-the-way, pleasant and overthrew the king in a violent revolt. Come and visit, everyone's welcome!
Copy and paste this in your sig if you passed biology and know it's completely irrelevent to your opinions on gender and sex
Overview. Just FYI, The flag's a sunset, not a sunrise, and the Quaeg is pronounced Kw-ay-g.

Highever
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Highever » Fri May 24, 2019 1:42 pm

Catsfern wrote:If you’re worried about misclicking you can change the settings so that confirmation is needed on the choice you make before it’s processed

That's not entirely the point.

I think the bottom line here is people are free to do as they please with their nations. As are you in applying your strict guidelines. However, seeing as how the vast majority dont use NS Stats and many make this fact clear (most just use NS stats for the ranking badges and thats about it, which is separate from RP) people arent going to like you trying to force them to conform to your previously mentioned strict guidelines, or trying to force them to use NS stats.

I recommend not antagonizing people by disregarding their wishes if you want to avoid people getting mad at you in the future.
Last edited by Highever on Fri May 24, 2019 1:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ΦΣK
Remember Bloody Sunday

Hammer Britannia
Negotiator

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Hammer Britannia » Fri May 24, 2019 1:42 pm

Catsfern wrote:If you’re worried about misclicking you can change the settings so that confirmation is needed on the choice you make before it’s processed

We're not worried about misclicking, we're worried about NS stats fucking up our Lore.

Highever
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Highever » Fri May 24, 2019 1:48 pm

Hammer Britannia wrote:

We're not worried about misclicking, we're worried about NS stats fucking up our Lore.

Exactly. Plus factbooks give you complete freedom and creativity in developing that lore, unlike NS stats.
ΦΣK
Remember Bloody Sunday

Catsfern
Diplomat

Postby Catsfern » Fri May 24, 2019 2:04 pm

Highever wrote:
Hammer Britannia wrote:We're not worried about misclicking, we're worried about NS stats fucking up our Lore.

Exactly. Plus factbooks give you complete freedom and creativity in developing that lore, unlike NS stats.

That’s exactly the problem to me though you can put anything you like in a factbook with complete disregard for realism, consistency, or other nations factbook information

Hammer Britannia
Negotiator

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Hammer Britannia » Fri May 24, 2019 2:05 pm

Catsfern wrote:
Highever wrote:Exactly. Plus factbooks give you complete freedom and creativity in developing that lore, unlike NS stats.

That’s exactly the problem to me though you can put anything you like in a factbook with complete disregard for realism, consistency, or other nations factbook information

NS stats are the realistic one? Mate, my crime rate went down after I banned police guns

NS is a satire of politics anyways and is in no way supposed to be realistic or taken seriously.
Last edited by Hammer Britannia on Fri May 24, 2019 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kragholm Free States
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 19, 2017
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Kragholm Free States » Fri May 24, 2019 2:07 pm

Catsfern wrote:
Highever wrote:Exactly. Plus factbooks give you complete freedom and creativity in developing that lore, unlike NS stats.

You could also put anything you like in a factbook with a lot of regard for realism and consistency. You could also answer issues in a manner that results in your stats completely disregarding realism and consistency. And why on earth would your nation need to take into account other nations when writing factbooks unless you have agreed with those nations that you share a common setting?
Formerly New Aerios, Est. 2012.
I don't use NS stats, here's my perpetually WIP factbooks.
Obligatory Political Compass:
Econ: 3.88 (R), Soc: -4.97 (L)
Civil Libertarian, Monarchist, Decentralist, Economic Localist, Englishman.
Old posts not necessarily representative of current views.

Highever
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Highever » Fri May 24, 2019 2:08 pm

Catsfern wrote:

It's almost like there is no limit on where, when, and how nations take place. Plus NS stats are HARDLY realistic. I had a nation of 7 billion people or so that existed in a xrimeless state without prisons or a judiciary system. On the other hand, there are plenty of nations who use factbooks to outline a very realistic nation, oftentimes even nations that exist on Earth as we know it.

Also....are you under the impression you can some how make thousands of nations factbooks somehow go along with one another....?
Last edited by Highever on Fri May 24, 2019 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ΦΣK
Remember Bloody Sunday

Catsfern
Diplomat

Postby Catsfern » Fri May 24, 2019 2:11 pm

I’m under no such assumption I just am pointing out the fact that there are probably a good few nations all claiming to control the entire multiverse this simply is not possible so using the stats as the distinguishing feature for them seems all too reasonable to me

Hammer Britannia
Negotiator

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Hammer Britannia » Fri May 24, 2019 2:12 pm

Catsfern wrote:I’m under no such assumption I just am pointing out the fact that there are probably a good few nations all claiming to control the entire multiverse this simply is not possible so using the stats as the distinguishing feature for them seems all too reasonable to me

The same stats that say my 5.674 billion-sized nation has only 6.08 crimes per hour, I presume?

Despite having an employment rate of 50% and having some of the worst corruption in the NS world?

Mind you, for comparison, there is a murder in the United States every 35 minutes, a violent crime every 25.3 seconds, and a property crime every 3.5 seconds.

That's about 1028 property crimes per hour, compared to my meagre 6.08
Last edited by Hammer Britannia on Fri May 24, 2019 2:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Highever
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Highever » Fri May 24, 2019 2:13 pm

Catsfern wrote:I’m under no such assumption I just am pointing out the fact that there are probably a good few nations all claiming to control the entire multiverse this simply is not possible so using the stats as the distinguishing feature for them seems all too reasonable to me

Of course there are nations like that. Why shouldnt there be? You seem to be under the impression that all nations have to be a hyper real amd modern country when that simply isnt the case. There are multiblversal nations, nations that involve magic and technology at the same time, nations that span galaxies, and nations that are city states. That's one of the great things about the website, creative freedom and the ability to make whatever you want.
Last edited by Highever on Fri May 24, 2019 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ΦΣK
Remember Bloody Sunday

Catsfern
Diplomat

Postby Catsfern » Fri May 24, 2019 2:17 pm

Like I said I’m under no such impression and use factbooks a good bit to get a feel for different nations, however a lot of nations claim to be different in similar ways heck I couldn’t tell you how many alt history Germanys there are. So because of that I use stats as another tool to asses nations, and when there is a large discrepancy between factbook and stat I side with the stat

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General