NATION

PASSWORD

NASA

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Nakena
Post Marshal

Founded: May 06, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Nakena » Wed May 22, 2019 12:08 pm

NERVA is a thing though and feasible. The Nuclear Option.

Good video on the matter in case of interest: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3aBOhC1c6m8

Purpelia
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 19, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Wed May 22, 2019 12:09 pm

Nakena wrote:NERVA is a thing though and feasible. The Nuclear Option.

Good video on the matter in case of interest: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3aBOhC1c6m8

But only powered by fission, as we have not yet actually figured out fusion power generation.

Novus America wrote:
Purpelia wrote:You do realize that the only thing qualifying as a "fusion drive" that our technology would allow is literally throwing fusion bombs out the back and riding the shockwave.

Something that was actually proposed, obviously never implemented.

I know. :(
But hope dies last.
Last edited by Purpelia on Wed May 22, 2019 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Purpelia does not reflect my actual world views. In fact, the vast majority of Purpelian cannon is meant to shock and thus deliberately insane. I just like playing with the idea of a country of madmen utterly convinced that everyone else are the barbarians. So play along or not but don't ever think it's for real.

The above post contains hyperbole, metaphoric language, embellishment and exaggeration. It may also include badly translated figures of speech and misused idioms. Analyze accordingly.

Novus America
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 02, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Wed May 22, 2019 12:15 pm

NERVA is technically fission not fusion though.
So it would not qualify as a fusion drive.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Zombie Ike/Teddy Roosevelt 2020.

Novus America represents my vision of an awesome Atompunk near future United States of America expanded to the entire North American continent, Guyana and the Philippines. The population would be around 700 million.
Think something like prewar Fallout, minus the bad stuff.

Politically I am an independent. I support what is good for the country, which means I cannot support either party.

Purpelia
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Wed May 22, 2019 12:16 pm

This being said, if you are willing to stretch the definition a bit solar sails count as fusion drives.
Purpelia does not reflect my actual world views. In fact, the vast majority of Purpelian cannon is meant to shock and thus deliberately insane. I just like playing with the idea of a country of madmen utterly convinced that everyone else are the barbarians. So play along or not but don't ever think it's for real.

The above post contains hyperbole, metaphoric language, embellishment and exaggeration. It may also include badly translated figures of speech and misused idioms. Analyze accordingly.

Pax Nerdvana
Post Marshal

Founded: May 22, 2017
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Pax Nerdvana » Wed May 22, 2019 12:21 pm

Purpelia wrote:This being said, if you are willing to stretch the definition a bit solar sails count as fusion drives.

Solar sails work too.
The Internet killed gun control.
Quotes
We Will Not Comply
They can’t stop the Signal
"The universe did never make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract."
-Robert Heinlein

"Affordability
Suitability (.22LR for squirrels, bigger .22s for long range little things, and big-bore for legal hunting reasons, etc)
Ammunition supply-chain (6.5x55 Swede and .303 British, although available, isn't exactly everywhere)
If it's ugly, uncomfortable, and can't shoot straight, but it accomplishes the above, then it's either a Mosin or a Hi-Point."
-Hurtful Thoughts on stuff you want in a gun

Nakena
Post Marshal

Founded: May 06, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Nakena » Wed May 22, 2019 12:23 pm

Purpelia wrote:

But only powered by fission, as we have not yet actually figured out fusion power generation.

Novus America wrote:

But hope dies last.

Novus America wrote:

Nuclear fission drives are the first step.

Purpelia
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Wed May 22, 2019 12:26 pm

Pax Nerdvana wrote:
Purpelia wrote:This being said, if you are willing to stretch the definition a bit solar sails count as fusion drives.

Solar sails work too.

To what end though? What are we trying to reach?

Gordfield
Spokesperson

Founded: Oct 26, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Gordfield » Wed May 22, 2019 12:28 pm

Purpelia wrote:
Pax Nerdvana wrote:Solar sails work too.

To what end though? What are we trying to reach?

Didn’t we already send a probe into deep space with solar sails?
Edit: yeah a quick google search reveals a lot of launched craft with solar sails
Last edited by Gordfield on Wed May 22, 2019 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DONT FORGET TO PRAISE LASAGA

Stellar Colonies
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 27, 2017
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Stellar Colonies » Wed May 22, 2019 12:33 pm

Hopefully this new plan isn't canceled and replaced with yet another one that would in turn be canceled and replaced.

If they are going to actually be able to do this once again, I'd be thrilled.
Floofybit wrote:Your desired society should be one where you are submissive and controlled
Primitive Communism wrote:What bodily autonomy do men need?
Techocracy101010 wrote:If she goes on a rampage those saggy wonders are as deadly as nunchucks
Parmistan wrote:It's not ALWAYS acceptable when we do it, but it's MORE acceptable when we do it.
Theodorable wrote:Jihad will win.
Distruzio wrote:All marriage outside the Church is gay marriage.
Khardsland wrote:Terrorism in its original definition is a good thing.
I try to be objective, but I do have some biases.

North Californian.
Stellar Colonies is a loose galactic confederacy.

The Confederacy & the WA.

Add 1200 years.

Purpelia
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Wed May 22, 2019 12:41 pm

Gordfield wrote:
Purpelia wrote:To what end though? What are we trying to reach?

Didn’t we already send a probe into deep space with solar sails?
Edit: yeah a quick google search reveals a lot of launched craft with solar sails

My question still stands. What is his end goal for this other than "because it's cool". Not that I can't get behind that but still.

Novus America
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Wed May 22, 2019 12:44 pm

Stellar Colonies wrote:Hopefully this new plan isn't canceled and replaced with yet another one that would in turn be canceled and replaced.

If they are going to actually be able to do this once again, I'd be thrilled.

I would be thrilled too if they actually did it. But obviously the former is what is going to happen.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Novus America represents my vision of an awesome Atompunk near future United States of America expanded to the entire North American continent, Guyana and the Philippines. The population would be around 700 million.

Politically I am an independent. I support what is good for the country, which means I cannot support either party.

Novus America
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Wed May 22, 2019 12:45 pm

Nakena wrote:
Purpelia wrote:But only powered by fission, as we have not yet actually figured out fusion power generation.

But hope dies last.

Novus America wrote:

Nuclear fission drives are the first step.

Fair enough.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Founded: Aug 20, 2010
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Ethel mermania » Wed May 22, 2019 2:13 pm

Novus America wrote:
Purpelia wrote:You do realize that the only thing qualifying as a "fusion drive" that our technology would allow is literally throwing fusion bombs out the back and riding the shockwave.

Talk about surfing a wave.
https://www.hvst.com/posts/the-clash-of ... s-wl2TQBpY

The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.
--S. Huntington

The most fundamental problem of politics is not the control of wickedness but the limitation of righteousness. 

--H. Kissenger

Telconi
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 08, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Telconi » Wed May 22, 2019 2:17 pm

Novus America wrote:

Scale tests were done, the idea is sound if you don't mind leaving a path dotted with atomic fuckery behind you.
-2.25 LEFT
-3.23 LIBERTARIAN

PRO:
-Weapons Rights
-Gender Equality
-LGBTQ Rights
-Racial Equality
-Religious Freedom
-Freedom of Speech
-Freedom of Association
-Life
-Limited Government
-Non Interventionism
-Labor Unions
-Environmental Protections
ANTI:
-Racism
-Sexism
-Bigotry In All Forms
-Government Overreach
-Government Surveillance
-Freedom For Security Social Transactions
-Unnecessary Taxes
-Excessively Specific Government Programs
-Foreign Entanglements
-Religious Extremism
-Fascists Masquerading as "Social Justice Warriors"

"The Constitution is NOT an instrument for the government to restrain the people,it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government-- lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." ~ Patrick Henry

Novus America
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Wed May 22, 2019 2:32 pm

Ethel mermania wrote:
Novus America wrote:

Talk about surfing a wave.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project ... propulsion)
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Purpelia
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Wed May 22, 2019 2:38 pm

Telconi wrote:
Novus America wrote:

Scale tests were done, the idea is sound if you don't mind leaving a path dotted with atomic fuckery behind you.

It's space. The whole place is already as radioactive as its going to get thanks to that giant fusion reactor on fire spewing the nasties all round. And we can always build a launch pad in Chernobyl to cut on the surface damage.

Katganistan
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Katganistan » Wed May 22, 2019 2:46 pm

Novus America wrote:This would be awesome if NASA actually does it.
But cost overruns, mission creep, excessive risk adversion and countless delays will probably mean we never get there.

NASA is a pale shadow of what it was unfortunately.

It cannot even put a man in space anymore.

It has to contract it out. Right now to the Russians.
Soon to US private companies.
But if it cannot even put a man in orbit I see little hope for the moon.

NASA needs a complete restructuring and change of organizational culture. And that is not easy.

NASA needs funding, is what it needs. Not being able to put a man there? Because it's not funded properly and they didn't get another space vehicle in place before mothballing the shuttle fleet.

They get less than 0.5% of the budget of the US folks. That's why it's been castrated, and that's why the idiots in charge of the Federal Government are saying privatize, let Virgin Space or Elon Musk do it.

Novus America
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Wed May 22, 2019 2:55 pm

Katganistan wrote:
Novus America wrote:This would be awesome if NASA actually does it.
But cost overruns, mission creep, excessive risk adversion and countless delays will probably mean we never get there.

NASA is a pale shadow of what it was unfortunately.

It cannot even put a man in space anymore.

It has to contract it out. Right now to the Russians.
Soon to US private companies.
But if it cannot even put a man in orbit I see little hope for the moon.

NASA needs a complete restructuring and change of organizational culture. And that is not easy.

NASA needs funding, is what it needs. Not being able to put a man there? Because it's not funded properly and they didn't get another space vehicle in place before mothballing the shuttle fleet.

They get less than 0.5% of the budget of the US folks. That's why it's been castrated, and that's why the idiots in charge of the Federal Government are saying privatize, let Virgin Space or Elon Musk do it.

It is not just lack of money, it is also that they spend the money the do get badly.
Throwing money at the problem alone will not fix a broken organization.

Risk aversion and mission creep is a big problem.

It does way too much stuff with no good relation to aerospace exploration, and continues to prefer obsolete but known solutions rather than embracing new approaches.
Last edited by Novus America on Wed May 22, 2019 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Katganistan
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Katganistan » Wed May 22, 2019 2:57 pm

Novus America wrote:
Katganistan wrote:NASA needs funding, is what it needs. Not being able to put a man there? Because it's not funded properly and they didn't get another space vehicle in place before mothballing the shuttle fleet.

It is not just lack of money, it is also that they spend the money the do get badly.

You keep saying that, but I don't see you backing it up. Just "they're bad, they can't, they're bad." Well, explain.

Vetalia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 23, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Vetalia » Wed May 22, 2019 3:27 pm

Katganistan wrote:You keep saying that, but I don't see you backing it up. Just "they're bad, they can't, they're bad." Well, explain.

Look at the SLS fiasco, for one. $15 billion spent to date on a launch system that has inferior payload capacity vs. one designed over 50 years ago, which will maybe work 12 years after the project started, vs. the Saturn V which took 6 years using technology available in the early to mid 1960s.
Economic Left/Right: 0.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.05

Aclion
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 12, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Aclion » Wed May 22, 2019 3:29 pm

If you're willing to stretch the definition all energy sources count as fusion.
A popular Government, without popular information, or the means of acquiring it, is but a Prologue to a Farce or a Tragedy; or, perhaps both. - James Madison.

Novus America
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Wed May 22, 2019 3:29 pm

Katganistan wrote:
Novus America wrote:

You keep saying that, but I don't see you backing it up. Just "they're bad, they can't, they're bad." Well, explain.

The SLS, which is not reusable despite reusable technology being available.

This.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.theatl ... cle/60148/

Maybe this quote
“One, he wanted me to help reinspire children to want to get into science and math; he wanted me to expand our international relationships; and third, and perhaps foremost, he wanted me to find a way to reach out to the Muslim world and engage much more with dominantly Muslim nations to help them feel good about their historic contribution to science, math, and engineering."

Or this paper
https://www.nationaljournal.com/s/60475

And it is not like the Russian space program is better funded either.
How can the Russians put men into space but NASA cannot?
Russia’s space program gets much less money.

Oh Space X has less money too yet builds better rockets. Explain that!

And I have explained. NASA needs to cut your the garbage. No studies of Ancient Rome, Muslim our reach or any extraneous crap like that. Cut all that and put the money towards space.
Stop looking at sticking to tried and true, but inefficient and obsolete technology.

NASA is a mess of an organization. I agree it is underfunded but it also needs to be completely restructured. Focused only on aerospace. Stop being so risk adverse. Stop wasting money on old obsolete projects when better options exist.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Vetalia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 23, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Vetalia » Wed May 22, 2019 3:31 pm

Aclion wrote:If you're willing to stretch the definition all energy sources count as fusion.

"We are all made of star stuff."
Economic Left/Right: 0.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.05

Telconi
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 08, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Telconi » Wed May 22, 2019 3:32 pm

Vetalia wrote:
Katganistan wrote:You keep saying that, but I don't see you backing it up. Just "they're bad, they can't, they're bad." Well, explain.

Look at the SLS fiasco, for one. $15 billion spent to date on a launch system that has inferior payload capacity vs. one designed over 50 years ago, which will maybe work 12 years after the project started, vs. the Saturn V which took 6 years using technology available in the early to mid 1960s.

The Apollo program was also immensely expensive.
-2.25 LEFT
-3.23 LIBERTARIAN

PRO:
-Weapons Rights
-Gender Equality
-LGBTQ Rights
-Racial Equality
-Religious Freedom
-Freedom of Speech
-Freedom of Association
-Life
-Limited Government
-Non Interventionism
-Labor Unions
-Environmental Protections
ANTI:
-Racism
-Sexism
-Bigotry In All Forms
-Government Overreach
-Government Surveillance
-Freedom For Security Social Transactions
-Unnecessary Taxes
-Excessively Specific Government Programs
-Foreign Entanglements
-Religious Extremism
-Fascists Masquerading as "Social Justice Warriors"

"The Constitution is NOT an instrument for the government to restrain the people,it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government-- lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." ~ Patrick Henry

Northern Saxonia
Secretary

Founded: Oct 31, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Northern Saxonia » Wed May 22, 2019 3:34 pm

It's going to be a military base to deter the Space Pirates

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General