NATION

PASSWORD

Is There Too Much Bias In The News?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

User avatar
Diarcesia
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1372
Founded: Aug 21, 2016
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Diarcesia » Fri May 03, 2019 8:22 pm

Aeritai wrote:
Kannap wrote:The question isn't is there too much bias in the news, because the answer is obvious. The questions are how long has the bias been there? How deeply ingrained is it? Can we do something about it?


Well I'm pretty sure bias has always been there in American Media ever since the first newspaper here. My guess is that bias has always been there it just wasn't as noticeable back then as it is today.

And how to stop it? I'm not sure if anyone can stop news outlets from telling biases. If we tried doing that it would violate Freedom of Speech.


Vote with your wallet, and keep in mind that they don't have a monopoly on truth.

User avatar
Aclion
Senator
 
Posts: 4041
Founded: Apr 12, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Aclion » Fri May 03, 2019 8:23 pm

Diarcesia wrote:
Aeritai wrote:
Well I'm pretty sure bias has always been there in American Media ever since the first newspaper here. My guess is that bias has always been there it just wasn't as noticeable back then as it is today.

And how to stop it? I'm not sure if anyone can stop news outlets from telling biases. If we tried doing that it would violate Freedom of Speech.


Vote with your wallet, and keep in mind that they don't have a monopoly on truth.

not for lack of trying
A free society rests on four boxes: The soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the ammo box.
XKI: Recruiter, TITO Knight
TEP: WA Executive Staff member
Forest: Cartographer
Oatland: Caesar, Cartographer

It is the citizen's duty to understand which box to use, and when.

User avatar
Robosia
Chargé d'Affaires
 
Posts: 418
Founded: Aug 27, 2017
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Robosia » Fri May 03, 2019 8:27 pm

Mystic Warriors wrote:You bash "liberal" news sources while ignoring the verified lie factory of fox news. Your x/y line is comical, how could you know x is real? Why couldn't y be real?

As for only 1 known right wing news source, that is 1 too many.


I cannot believe that there are any news sources owned by my political opponents! It’s such an injustice!

Trump literally wants to ban all free press you guys
Some people design their sigs as a work of art, with links and colors and complex coding. To which I say...

ACN - Antarctica Continental News | British cargo ship sinks just off Ellsworth coast, water tastes like tea for three days | 10 timber wolves brought into Sanctum City zoo.


User avatar
US-SSR
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1041
Founded: Aug 02, 2018
Corporate Police State

Postby US-SSR » Fri May 03, 2019 8:30 pm

Aclion wrote:
US-SSR wrote:The facts have a liberal bias.

You say that, but the Conservative new outlets aren't tanking in the ratings because they spent the last year and a half covering a bogus narrative, the "liberal" outlets are. The conservative outlets aren't slandering their competitors in order to get them censored, the "liberal" media is. I think when you can't differentiate fact from what's good for your party and you need to attack you competitors to even stay relevant then you've got a serious bias problem. Fox New is in fact less biased then the rest of the legacy media, if only because they're moved to the center to gobble up all the viewers who've given up on CNN and MSNBC.


Tanking? Really? 'Cause CNN + MSNBC > FOX for all hours in all demos.
Why don't they go back and help fix the totally broken and crime infested places from which they came?
IF YOU ARE NOT HAPPY HERE, YOU CAN LEAVE!
I don't have a racist bone in my body!
SEND HER BACK! SEND HER BACK!
Worse than deplorable!

User avatar
Aureumterra
Minister
 
Posts: 3019
Founded: Oct 25, 2017
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Aureumterra » Fri May 03, 2019 8:32 pm

US-SSR wrote:The facts have a liberal bias.

:rofl:
♔-Put this in your sig if you’re a Monarchy/Empire
Emperor of the MIF! Join today to preserve monarchy!
Pro: Trump, MAGA, Capitalism, Gender Equality, MAGA 2020
Anti: Democrats, 3rd wave feminism, Racism, Socialism, ANTIFA
Icelandic Nationalist and proud
I’m your average Íslandic NS player (yes, I live in Ísland, and it’s NOT called Iceland)
I DO NOT USE NS STATS!
A 12 civilization, according to this index.
Kragholm Free States wrote:oooh daddy hitler I've been a naughty little untermensch gas me harder

User avatar
Aureumterra
Minister
 
Posts: 3019
Founded: Oct 25, 2017
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Aureumterra » Fri May 03, 2019 8:38 pm

The media went with the Russia collusion narrative for 2 years, and now that it’s been disproven, they’re slapped in the face. The meltdown over the last few weeks is so satisfying to watch
♔-Put this in your sig if you’re a Monarchy/Empire
Emperor of the MIF! Join today to preserve monarchy!
Pro: Trump, MAGA, Capitalism, Gender Equality, MAGA 2020
Anti: Democrats, 3rd wave feminism, Racism, Socialism, ANTIFA
Icelandic Nationalist and proud
I’m your average Íslandic NS player (yes, I live in Ísland, and it’s NOT called Iceland)
I DO NOT USE NS STATS!
A 12 civilization, according to this index.
Kragholm Free States wrote:oooh daddy hitler I've been a naughty little untermensch gas me harder

User avatar
Aclion
Senator
 
Posts: 4041
Founded: Apr 12, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Aclion » Fri May 03, 2019 8:40 pm

US-SSR wrote:
Aclion wrote:You say that, but the Conservative new outlets aren't tanking in the ratings because they spent the last year and a half covering a bogus narrative, the "liberal" outlets are. The conservative outlets aren't slandering their competitors in order to get them censored, the "liberal" media is. I think when you can't differentiate fact from what's good for your party and you need to attack you competitors to even stay relevant then you've got a serious bias problem. Fox New is in fact less biased then the rest of the legacy media, if only because they're moved to the center to gobble up all the viewers who've given up on CNN and MSNBC.


Tanking? Really? 'Cause CNN + MSNBC > FOX for all hours in all demos.

Can't access you source but. https://www.forbes.com/sites/markjoyell ... acdfc93c59
A free society rests on four boxes: The soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the ammo box.
XKI: Recruiter, TITO Knight
TEP: WA Executive Staff member
Forest: Cartographer
Oatland: Caesar, Cartographer

It is the citizen's duty to understand which box to use, and when.

User avatar
US-SSR
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1041
Founded: Aug 02, 2018
Corporate Police State

Postby US-SSR » Fri May 03, 2019 8:50 pm



Just checked the link again and it's perfectly fine. I call BS. Plus, from your source:

CNN's total audience in prime time was well under a million viewers--767,000--while competitors MSNBC and Fox News finished the month far ahead: MSNBC in second place overall with 1.660 million total viewers, and Fox News leading all of cable with a total audience of 2.395 million.


767k + 1.660m = 2.427m > 2.395m. What I said.

In other news, your guy still lost the popular vote by 3m, no one has read the Mueller report 'cause it's still redacted and the administration is stonewalling its release and the release of its supporting material, and it ain't over until the Chairman of the House Judiciary Committee says it is.
Why don't they go back and help fix the totally broken and crime infested places from which they came?
IF YOU ARE NOT HAPPY HERE, YOU CAN LEAVE!
I don't have a racist bone in my body!
SEND HER BACK! SEND HER BACK!
Worse than deplorable!

User avatar
Aclion
Senator
 
Posts: 4041
Founded: Apr 12, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Aclion » Fri May 03, 2019 8:54 pm

US-SSR wrote:


Just checked the link again and it's perfectly fine. I call BS. Plus, from your source:

CNN's total audience in prime time was well under a million viewers--767,000--while competitors MSNBC and Fox News finished the month far ahead: MSNBC in second place overall with 1.660 million total viewers, and Fox News leading all of cable with a total audience of 2.395 million.


767k + 1.660m = 2.427m > 2.395m. What I said.

In other news, your guy still lost the popular vote by 3m, no one has read the Mueller report 'cause it's still redacted and the administration is stonewalling its release and the release of its supporting material, and it ain't over until the Chairman of the House Judiciary Committee says it is.

Te popular vote means nothing, the Muller investigation was nothing but opposition research and Nadler is hack
Last edited by Aclion on Fri May 03, 2019 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A free society rests on four boxes: The soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the ammo box.
XKI: Recruiter, TITO Knight
TEP: WA Executive Staff member
Forest: Cartographer
Oatland: Caesar, Cartographer

It is the citizen's duty to understand which box to use, and when.

User avatar
Cannot think of a name
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 26808
Founded: Antiquity
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Cannot think of a name » Fri May 03, 2019 9:24 pm

The problems aren't bias as much as it's peoples shitty understanding of bias and even shittier understanding of how to interact with it.
Everything for the cat.

User avatar
Mystic Warriors
Minister
 
Posts: 3117
Founded: May 10, 2018
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Mystic Warriors » Fri May 03, 2019 9:51 pm

Aclion wrote:
US-SSR wrote:The facts have a liberal bias.

You say that, but the Conservative new outlets aren't tanking in the ratings because they spent the last year and a half covering a bogus narrative, the "liberal" outlets are. The conservative outlets aren't slandering their competitors in order to get them censored, the "liberal" media is. I think when you can't differentiate fact from what's good for your party and you need to attack you competitors to even stay relevant then you've got a serious bias problem. Fox New is in fact less biased then the rest of the legacy media, if only because they're moved to the center to gobble up all the viewers who've given up on CNN and MSNBC.



You got that all mixed up. Fox news is the most biased and untrustworthy news source in America. They are practically state run and shill for Trump while attacking anything liberal without any valid reason.

Everything you falsely slapped on the liberal media is what fox news does. Stop drinking the kool aid.
Proud Trump Hater. Ban Fascism in all its forms. Disagreeing with a comment because you hate who said it is childish.

User avatar
Mystic Warriors
Minister
 
Posts: 3117
Founded: May 10, 2018
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Mystic Warriors » Fri May 03, 2019 9:55 pm

Robosia wrote:
Mystic Warriors wrote:You bash "liberal" news sources while ignoring the verified lie factory of fox news. Your x/y line is comical, how could you know x is real? Why couldn't y be real?

As for only 1 known right wing news source, that is 1 too many.


I cannot believe that there are any news sources owned by my political opponents! It’s such an injustice!

Trump literally wants to ban all free press you guys



:roll:

Ad hominems dont replace actual content.
Proud Trump Hater. Ban Fascism in all its forms. Disagreeing with a comment because you hate who said it is childish.

User avatar
Mystic Warriors
Minister
 
Posts: 3117
Founded: May 10, 2018
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Mystic Warriors » Fri May 03, 2019 9:58 pm

Tetradimensional Overworld wrote:
Mystic Warriors wrote:

:rofl:


Wrong. Reality has a liberal bias. Lies have a conservative bias

Really? Even though I consider myself as slightly far-left, yeah...
We shifted the Overton window far to the left, for the betterment of the world, but some reactionaries just reversed it



Conservatives reversed it out of fear of a changing world.
Proud Trump Hater. Ban Fascism in all its forms. Disagreeing with a comment because you hate who said it is childish.

User avatar
The Andromeda Archipelago
Spokesperson
 
Posts: 193
Founded: Sep 05, 2016
New York Times Democracy

Postby The Andromeda Archipelago » Fri May 03, 2019 11:07 pm

Aclion wrote:
US-SSR wrote:The facts have a liberal bias.

You say that, but the Conservative new outlets aren't tanking in the ratings because they spent the last year and a half covering a bogus narrative, the "liberal" outlets are. The conservative outlets aren't slandering their competitors in order to get them censored, the "liberal" media is. I think when you can't differentiate fact from what's good for your party and you need to attack you competitors to even stay relevant then you've got a serious bias problem. Fox New is in fact less biased then the rest of the legacy media, if only because they're moved to the center to gobble up all the viewers who've given up on CNN and MSNBC.


Conservatives have been whining about "the Liberal Media" for at least the past five decades. Ironically, they've been using Talk Radio, The Trump Ministry of Information (Fox News) & Breitbart to do it.

Crybaby Conservatives need to grow up! Stop worshipping The Donald & grow some discernment.

If Fox News is fair and balanced, I'm Santa Claus!
Formerly known as The Andromeda Islands!

User avatar
Bezkoshtovnya
Senator
 
Posts: 4692
Founded: Sep 06, 2014
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bezkoshtovnya » Fri May 03, 2019 11:13 pm

Mystic Warriors wrote:
DeltaSource wrote:Waaaaaay too much bias against Republicans, the dems control the media y'all.



Good

So blatant bias is fine as long as yours, and banning media that you disagree with due to opposing bias or otherwise is fine?
Dante Alighieri wrote:There is no greater sorrow than to recall happiness in times of misery
Charlie Chaplin wrote:Nothing is permanent in this wicked world, not even our troubles.
ΦΣK
------------------

User avatar
New Yeeia
Bureaucrat
 
Posts: 41
Founded: Nov 02, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby New Yeeia » Fri May 03, 2019 11:14 pm

The Andromeda Archipelago wrote:
Aclion wrote:You say that, but the Conservative new outlets aren't tanking in the ratings because they spent the last year and a half covering a bogus narrative, the "liberal" outlets are. The conservative outlets aren't slandering their competitors in order to get them censored, the "liberal" media is. I think when you can't differentiate fact from what's good for your party and you need to attack you competitors to even stay relevant then you've got a serious bias problem. Fox New is in fact less biased then the rest of the legacy media, if only because they're moved to the center to gobble up all the viewers who've given up on CNN and MSNBC.


Conservatives have been whining about "the Liberal Media" for at least the past five decades. Ironically, they've been using Talk Radio, The Trump Ministry of Information (Fox News) & Breitbart to do it.

Crybaby Conservatives need to grow up! Stop worshipping The Donald & grow some discernment.

If Fox News is fair and balanced, I'm Santa Claus!


Idk why but this reads like a Facebook post, and that's not a good thing.

User avatar
Bezkoshtovnya
Senator
 
Posts: 4692
Founded: Sep 06, 2014
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bezkoshtovnya » Fri May 03, 2019 11:16 pm

New Yeeia wrote:
The Andromeda Archipelago wrote:
Conservatives have been whining about "the Liberal Media" for at least the past five decades. Ironically, they've been using Talk Radio, The Trump Ministry of Information (Fox News) & Breitbart to do it.

Crybaby Conservatives need to grow up! Stop worshipping The Donald & grow some discernment.

If Fox News is fair and balanced, I'm Santa Claus!


Idk why but this reads like a Facebook post, and that's not a good thing.

Wow it....sure does.
Dante Alighieri wrote:There is no greater sorrow than to recall happiness in times of misery
Charlie Chaplin wrote:Nothing is permanent in this wicked world, not even our troubles.
ΦΣK
------------------

User avatar
Mystic Warriors
Minister
 
Posts: 3117
Founded: May 10, 2018
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Mystic Warriors » Fri May 03, 2019 11:27 pm

Bezkoshtovnya wrote:
Mystic Warriors wrote:

Good

So blatant bias is fine as long as yours, and banning media that you disagree with due to opposing bias or otherwise is fine?



Yes.
Proud Trump Hater. Ban Fascism in all its forms. Disagreeing with a comment because you hate who said it is childish.

User avatar
Tetradimensional Overworld
Spokesperson
 
Posts: 140
Founded: Apr 29, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Tetradimensional Overworld » Fri May 03, 2019 11:30 pm

Do not argue with Fox News and reactionaries. They will drag you down to his level and beat you with "no u" arguments.
IC name: Greater Aecinov Republic | Maxovikt Aečinov Valtarzurthr
IF YOU THINK WE'RE FOUR DIMENSIONAL, YOU ARE MISTAKEN. THIS IS JUST AN OLD NAME, A PLACEHOLDER NAME. I WILL /STILLME YA IF YOU MAKE CRAPPY ANSWERS SO DEAL WITH IT VADIM
TETRADIMENSIONAL OVERWORLD isn't my IC name. This nation is pure unadulterated nostalgia, deal with it. Did you know that I wasted 400 million plus seconds of my life and you wasted more? Well, if I could go back to any age, I'd go back to the time when I was 11. Great times indeed. I'm an anti-communist, but I do love me some Soviet music.
Late childhood is the best part of childhood -- change my mind. People below 10 are in blissful ignorance so I'd rather avoid that. Blissful ignorance is not true happiness

User avatar
American Pere Housh
Diplomat
 
Posts: 834
Founded: Jan 12, 2019
Father Knows Best State

Postby American Pere Housh » Fri May 03, 2019 11:31 pm

There's way too much bias in the media especially the left wing media such as CNN and MSNBC.
THE EMPIRE SUPPORTS THE DECEPTICON ARMY!!!! ALL HAIL LORD MEGATRON!!!!!

I don't use NS stats for this nation.

User avatar
Tetradimensional Overworld
Spokesperson
 
Posts: 140
Founded: Apr 29, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Tetradimensional Overworld » Fri May 03, 2019 11:32 pm

American Pere Housh wrote:There's way too much bias in the media especially the left wing media such as CNN and MSNBC.

Nope. The truth just has a left-wing bias, thus reactionaries spit lies and eat lies.
Last edited by Tetradimensional Overworld on Fri May 03, 2019 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IC name: Greater Aecinov Republic | Maxovikt Aečinov Valtarzurthr
IF YOU THINK WE'RE FOUR DIMENSIONAL, YOU ARE MISTAKEN. THIS IS JUST AN OLD NAME, A PLACEHOLDER NAME. I WILL /STILLME YA IF YOU MAKE CRAPPY ANSWERS SO DEAL WITH IT VADIM
TETRADIMENSIONAL OVERWORLD isn't my IC name. This nation is pure unadulterated nostalgia, deal with it. Did you know that I wasted 400 million plus seconds of my life and you wasted more? Well, if I could go back to any age, I'd go back to the time when I was 11. Great times indeed. I'm an anti-communist, but I do love me some Soviet music.
Late childhood is the best part of childhood -- change my mind. People below 10 are in blissful ignorance so I'd rather avoid that. Blissful ignorance is not true happiness

User avatar
Hirota
Negotiator
 
Posts: 5387
Founded: Jan 22, 2004
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Hirota » Fri May 03, 2019 11:34 pm

I don't know why the news companies bother with advertising - they have all these cultists about to loudly shout their news source is the one true news source, and all other news sources are heretics.

It's almost cult thinking.
Last edited by Hirota on Fri May 03, 2019 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
Known to trigger Grammar Nazis, Spelling Nazis, Actual Nazis, the emotionally stunted, pedants and koi carp.
Those affected by the views, opinions or general demeanour of this poster should review this puppy picture. Those affected by puppy pictures should consider investing in an isolation tank.
Economic Left/Right: -3.25, Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.03
Isn't it curious how people will claim they are against tribalism, then pigeonhole themselves into tribes?

User avatar
Tetradimensional Overworld
Spokesperson
 
Posts: 140
Founded: Apr 29, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Tetradimensional Overworld » Fri May 03, 2019 11:36 pm

Hirota wrote:I don't know why the news companies bother with advertising - they have all these cultists about to loudly shout their news source is the one true news source, and all other news sources are heretics.

It's almost cult thinking.

It's radicalism.
IC name: Greater Aecinov Republic | Maxovikt Aečinov Valtarzurthr
IF YOU THINK WE'RE FOUR DIMENSIONAL, YOU ARE MISTAKEN. THIS IS JUST AN OLD NAME, A PLACEHOLDER NAME. I WILL /STILLME YA IF YOU MAKE CRAPPY ANSWERS SO DEAL WITH IT VADIM
TETRADIMENSIONAL OVERWORLD isn't my IC name. This nation is pure unadulterated nostalgia, deal with it. Did you know that I wasted 400 million plus seconds of my life and you wasted more? Well, if I could go back to any age, I'd go back to the time when I was 11. Great times indeed. I'm an anti-communist, but I do love me some Soviet music.
Late childhood is the best part of childhood -- change my mind. People below 10 are in blissful ignorance so I'd rather avoid that. Blissful ignorance is not true happiness

User avatar
The Chuck
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1382
Founded: Apr 18, 2018
Right-wing Utopia

Postby The Chuck » Fri May 03, 2019 11:41 pm

The Gold Standard of Journalism is to attempt to relay information to the reader in a clear and concise way which allows the reader to form their own opinions and thoughts on reported events. However, humans will always be biased and as such, News organizations will always have biases. To interpret the news nowadays, I believe the general public ought to look at multiple sources of both supporting and dissenting viewpoints. Not only this but the reader ought to engage in personal research into newsworthy events to better grasp and understand what is being reported on. This allows for consumers of news to develop their own thoughts and beliefs with a bigger picture than say if they were to simply watch one news source.

On a side note, what are peoples' thoughts on subscription based news services like the Wall Street Journal? Do you believe they are less biased/more biased than other news organizations such as Fox News or CNN?
I use NS Stats. - Yes, a majority of my people die at 25... (we lost YET another year!)
Sycar correctly guessed the rifles on my flag. As such, Sycar is the all knowing God of guns!
General overview of the standing military. Not even my citizen militias...
"An armed man is a Citizen. An unarmed man is a subject."
Just your friendly F7 Gun Nut and War Profiteer!
Within the Top 500 for Weaponization. I will eventually be #1.
"I'm not a bad man but in certain situations I have to ask myself, "What would a bad man do?" -War Dogs
Pest Control
Quotes from others.
Ifreann and I might not see eye to eye on many political things but damn, they sure do have the Gifs for the situations! :D
Finally made my own Discord. Chuck's Arms Bazaar

User avatar
American Pere Housh
Diplomat
 
Posts: 834
Founded: Jan 12, 2019
Father Knows Best State

Postby American Pere Housh » Fri May 03, 2019 11:41 pm

Hirota wrote:I don't know why the news companies bother with advertising - they have all these cultists about to loudly shout their news source is the one true news source, and all other news sources are heretics.

It's almost cult thinking.

I'm not one of these so-called cultist because I pay attention to all news sources. The media is supposed to be apolitical.
THE EMPIRE SUPPORTS THE DECEPTICON ARMY!!!! ALL HAIL LORD MEGATRON!!!!!

I don't use NS stats for this nation.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: An Alan Smithee Nation, Andsed, Dooom35796821595, Estanglia, Galloism, Georia, Greater vakolicci haven, Guyomartand, Highever, Ifreann, Ism, Israeli Commonwealth, Jean-Paul Sartre, Leninist Haven, LiberNovusAmericae, Pacomia, Republic of tas, Shrillland, The Australian Emus, The Empire of Pretantia, The National Dominion of Hungary, The Two Jerseys, The Xenopolis Confederation, Thermodolia, Vasilinople, Vizn, Washington Resistance Army

Advertisement

Remove ads