NATION

PASSWORD

Is There Too Much Bias In The News?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Diarcesia
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 21, 2016
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Diarcesia » Fri May 03, 2019 8:22 pm

Aeritai wrote:
Kannap wrote:The question isn't is there too much bias in the news, because the answer is obvious. The questions are how long has the bias been there? How deeply ingrained is it? Can we do something about it?

Well I'm pretty sure bias has always been there in American Media ever since the first newspaper here. My guess is that bias has always been there it just wasn't as noticeable back then as it is today.

And how to stop it? I'm not sure if anyone can stop news outlets from telling biases. If we tried doing that it would violate Freedom of Speech.

Vote with your wallet, and keep in mind that they don't have a monopoly on truth.

Aclion
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 12, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Aclion » Fri May 03, 2019 8:23 pm

Diarcesia wrote:
Aeritai wrote:
Well I'm pretty sure bias has always been there in American Media ever since the first newspaper here. My guess is that bias has always been there it just wasn't as noticeable back then as it is today.

And how to stop it? I'm not sure if anyone can stop news outlets from telling biases. If we tried doing that it would violate Freedom of Speech.

Vote with your wallet, and keep in mind that they don't have a monopoly on truth.

not for lack of trying
A popular Government, without popular information, or the means of acquiring it, is but a Prologue to a Farce or a Tragedy; or, perhaps both. - James Madison.

Robosia
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Aug 27, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Robosia » Fri May 03, 2019 8:27 pm

Mystic Warriors wrote:You bash "liberal" news sources while ignoring the verified lie factory of fox news. Your x/y line is comical, how could you know x is real? Why couldn't y be real?

As for only 1 known right wing news source, that is 1 too many.

I cannot believe that there are any news sources owned by my political opponents! It’s such an injustice!

Trump literally wants to ban all free press you guys
Some people design their sigs as a work of art, with links and colors and complex coding. To which I say...

ACN - Antarctica Continental News | British cargo ship sinks just off Ellsworth coast, water tastes like tea for three days | 10 timber wolves brought into Sanctum City zoo.

US-SSR
Minister

Founded: Aug 02, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby US-SSR » Fri May 03, 2019 8:30 pm

Aclion wrote:
US-SSR wrote:The facts have a liberal bias.

You say that, but the Conservative new outlets aren't tanking in the ratings because they spent the last year and a half covering a bogus narrative, the "liberal" outlets are. The conservative outlets aren't slandering their competitors in order to get them censored, the "liberal" media is. I think when you can't differentiate fact from what's good for your party and you need to attack you competitors to even stay relevant then you've got a serious bias problem. Fox New is in fact less biased then the rest of the legacy media, if only because they're moved to the center to gobble up all the viewers who've given up on CNN and MSNBC.

Tanking? Really? 'Cause CNN + MSNBC > FOX for all hours in all demos.
8:46

We're not going to control the pandemic!

It is a slaughter and not just a political dispute.

"The scraps of narcissism, the rotten remnants of conspiracy theories, the offal of sour grievance, the half-eaten bits of resentment flow by. They do not cohere. But they move in the same, insistent current of self, self, self."

Aureumterra
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 25, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Aureumterra » Fri May 03, 2019 8:32 pm

:rofl:
NS Parliament: Aditya Sriraam - Unity and Consolidation Party
Latin American Political RP
RightValues
Icelandic Civic Nationalist and proud
I’m your average Íslandic NS player
I DO NOT USE NS STATS!
A 12 civilization, according to this index.
Scary Right Wing Capitalist who thinks the current state of the world (before the pandemic) is the best it had been

Aureumterra
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 25, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Aureumterra » Fri May 03, 2019 8:38 pm

The media went with the Russia collusion narrative for 2 years, and now that it’s been disproven, they’re slapped in the face. The meltdown over the last few weeks is so satisfying to watch
NS Parliament: Aditya Sriraam - Unity and Consolidation Party
Latin American Political RP
RightValues
Icelandic Civic Nationalist and proud
I’m your average Íslandic NS player
I DO NOT USE NS STATS!
A 12 civilization, according to this index.
Scary Right Wing Capitalist who thinks the current state of the world (before the pandemic) is the best it had been

Aclion
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Aclion » Fri May 03, 2019 8:40 pm

US-SSR wrote:
Aclion wrote:You say that, but the Conservative new outlets aren't tanking in the ratings because they spent the last year and a half covering a bogus narrative, the "liberal" outlets are. The conservative outlets aren't slandering their competitors in order to get them censored, the "liberal" media is. I think when you can't differentiate fact from what's good for your party and you need to attack you competitors to even stay relevant then you've got a serious bias problem. Fox New is in fact less biased then the rest of the legacy media, if only because they're moved to the center to gobble up all the viewers who've given up on CNN and MSNBC.

Tanking? Really? 'Cause CNN + MSNBC > FOX for all hours in all demos.

Can't access you source but. https://www.forbes.com/sites/markjoyell ... acdfc93c59
A popular Government, without popular information, or the means of acquiring it, is but a Prologue to a Farce or a Tragedy; or, perhaps both. - James Madison.

US-SSR
Minister

Founded: Aug 02, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby US-SSR » Fri May 03, 2019 8:50 pm

Just checked the link again and it's perfectly fine. I call BS. Plus, from your source:

CNN's total audience in prime time was well under a million viewers--767,000--while competitors MSNBC and Fox News finished the month far ahead: MSNBC in second place overall with 1.660 million total viewers, and Fox News leading all of cable with a total audience of 2.395 million.

767k + 1.660m = 2.427m > 2.395m. What I said.

In other news, your guy still lost the popular vote by 3m, no one has read the Mueller report 'cause it's still redacted and the administration is stonewalling its release and the release of its supporting material, and it ain't over until the Chairman of the House Judiciary Committee says it is.
8:46

We're not going to control the pandemic!

It is a slaughter and not just a political dispute.

"The scraps of narcissism, the rotten remnants of conspiracy theories, the offal of sour grievance, the half-eaten bits of resentment flow by. They do not cohere. But they move in the same, insistent current of self, self, self."

Aclion
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Aclion » Fri May 03, 2019 8:54 pm

US-SSR wrote:

Just checked the link again and it's perfectly fine. I call BS. Plus, from your source:

CNN's total audience in prime time was well under a million viewers--767,000--while competitors MSNBC and Fox News finished the month far ahead: MSNBC in second place overall with 1.660 million total viewers, and Fox News leading all of cable with a total audience of 2.395 million.

767k + 1.660m = 2.427m > 2.395m. What I said.

In other news, your guy still lost the popular vote by 3m, no one has read the Mueller report 'cause it's still redacted and the administration is stonewalling its release and the release of its supporting material, and it ain't over until the Chairman of the House Judiciary Committee says it is.

Te popular vote means nothing, the Muller investigation was nothing but opposition research and Nadler is hack
Last edited by Aclion on Fri May 03, 2019 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Cannot think of a name » Fri May 03, 2019 9:24 pm

The problems aren't bias as much as it's peoples shitty understanding of bias and even shittier understanding of how to interact with it.
"...I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods of direct action;" who paternalistically feels he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by the myth of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait until a "more convenient season." -MLK Jr.

Mystic Warriors
Minister

Founded: May 10, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Mystic Warriors » Fri May 03, 2019 9:51 pm

Aclion wrote:

You say that, but the Conservative new outlets aren't tanking in the ratings because they spent the last year and a half covering a bogus narrative, the "liberal" outlets are. The conservative outlets aren't slandering their competitors in order to get them censored, the "liberal" media is. I think when you can't differentiate fact from what's good for your party and you need to attack you competitors to even stay relevant then you've got a serious bias problem. Fox New is in fact less biased then the rest of the legacy media, if only because they're moved to the center to gobble up all the viewers who've given up on CNN and MSNBC.

You got that all mixed up. Fox news is the most biased and untrustworthy news source in America. They are practically state run and shill for Trump while attacking anything liberal without any valid reason.

Everything you falsely slapped on the liberal media is what fox news does. Stop drinking the kool aid.
Proud Trump Hater. Ban Fascism in all its forms. Disagreeing with a comment because you hate who said it is childish.

Mystic Warriors
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Mystic Warriors » Fri May 03, 2019 9:55 pm

Robosia wrote:
Mystic Warriors wrote:You bash "liberal" news sources while ignoring the verified lie factory of fox news. Your x/y line is comical, how could you know x is real? Why couldn't y be real?

As for only 1 known right wing news source, that is 1 too many.

I cannot believe that there are any news sources owned by my political opponents! It’s such an injustice!

Trump literally wants to ban all free press you guys

:roll:

Ad hominems dont replace actual content.
Proud Trump Hater. Ban Fascism in all its forms. Disagreeing with a comment because you hate who said it is childish.

Mystic Warriors
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Mystic Warriors » Fri May 03, 2019 9:58 pm

Tetradimensional Overworld wrote:
Mystic Warriors wrote:

:rofl:

Wrong. Reality has a liberal bias. Lies have a conservative bias

Really? Even though I consider myself as slightly far-left, yeah...
We shifted the Overton window far to the left, for the betterment of the world, but some reactionaries just reversed it

Conservatives reversed it out of fear of a changing world.

The Andromeda Archipelago
Envoy

Founded: Sep 05, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby The Andromeda Archipelago » Fri May 03, 2019 11:07 pm

Aclion wrote:

Conservatives have been whining about "the Liberal Media" for at least the past five decades. Ironically, they've been using Talk Radio, The Trump Ministry of Information (Fox News) & Breitbart to do it.

Crybaby Conservatives need to grow up! Stop worshipping The Donald & grow some discernment.

If Fox News is fair and balanced, I'm Santa Claus!

Bezkoshtovnya
Senator

Founded: Sep 06, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Bezkoshtovnya » Fri May 03, 2019 11:13 pm

Mystic Warriors wrote:
DeltaSource wrote:Waaaaaay too much bias against Republicans, the dems control the media y'all.

Good

So blatant bias is fine as long as yours, and banning media that you disagree with due to opposing bias or otherwise is fine?
Dante Alighieri wrote:There is no greater sorrow than to recall happiness in times of misery
Charlie Chaplin wrote:Nothing is permanent in this wicked world, not even our troubles.
ΦΣK
------------------

New Yeeia
Bureaucrat

Founded: Nov 02, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby New Yeeia » Fri May 03, 2019 11:14 pm

The Andromeda Archipelago wrote:
Aclion wrote:You say that, but the Conservative new outlets aren't tanking in the ratings because they spent the last year and a half covering a bogus narrative, the "liberal" outlets are. The conservative outlets aren't slandering their competitors in order to get them censored, the "liberal" media is. I think when you can't differentiate fact from what's good for your party and you need to attack you competitors to even stay relevant then you've got a serious bias problem. Fox New is in fact less biased then the rest of the legacy media, if only because they're moved to the center to gobble up all the viewers who've given up on CNN and MSNBC.

Conservatives have been whining about "the Liberal Media" for at least the past five decades. Ironically, they've been using Talk Radio, The Trump Ministry of Information (Fox News) & Breitbart to do it.

Crybaby Conservatives need to grow up! Stop worshipping The Donald & grow some discernment.

Idk why but this reads like a Facebook post, and that's not a good thing.

Bezkoshtovnya
Senator

Founded: Sep 06, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Bezkoshtovnya » Fri May 03, 2019 11:16 pm

New Yeeia wrote:
The Andromeda Archipelago wrote:

Idk why but this reads like a Facebook post, and that's not a good thing.

Wow it....sure does.
Dante Alighieri wrote:There is no greater sorrow than to recall happiness in times of misery
Charlie Chaplin wrote:Nothing is permanent in this wicked world, not even our troubles.
ΦΣK
------------------

Mystic Warriors
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Mystic Warriors » Fri May 03, 2019 11:27 pm

Bezkoshtovnya wrote:
Mystic Warriors wrote:

Good

So blatant bias is fine as long as yours, and banning media that you disagree with due to opposing bias or otherwise is fine?

Yes.

Tetradimensional Overworld
Spokesperson

Founded: Apr 29, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Tetradimensional Overworld » Fri May 03, 2019 11:30 pm

Do not argue with Fox News and reactionaries. They will drag you down to his level and beat you with "no u" arguments.
IC name: Greater Aecinov Republic | Maxovikt Aečinov Valtarzurthr
IF YOU THINK WE'RE FOUR DIMENSIONAL, YOU ARE MISTAKEN. THIS IS JUST AN OLD NAME, A PLACEHOLDER NAME. I WILL /STILLME YA IF YOU MAKE CRAPPY ANSWERS SO DEAL WITH IT VADIM
TETRADIMENSIONAL OVERWORLD isn't my IC name. This nation is pure unadulterated nostalgia, deal with it. Did you know that I wasted 400 million plus seconds of my life and you wasted more? Well, if I could go back to any age, I'd go back to the time when I was 11. Great times indeed. I'm an anti-communist, but I do love me some Soviet music.
Late childhood is the best part of childhood -- change my mind. People below 10 are in blissful ignorance so I'd rather avoid that. Blissful ignorance is not true happiness

American Pere Housh
Senator

Founded: Jan 12, 2019
Father Knows Best State

Postby American Pere Housh » Fri May 03, 2019 11:31 pm

There's way too much bias in the media especially the left wing media such as CNN and MSNBC.
Government Type: Militaristic Republic
Leader: President Alexander Jones
Prime Minister: Isabella Stuart-Jones
Secretary of Defense: Hitomi Izumi
Secretary of State: Eliza 'Vanny' Cortez
Time: 2023
Population: MT-450 million
Territory: All of North America, The Islands of the Caribbean and the Philippines

Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Tetradimensional Overworld » Fri May 03, 2019 11:32 pm

American Pere Housh wrote:There's way too much bias in the media especially the left wing media such as CNN and MSNBC.

Nope. The truth just has a left-wing bias, thus reactionaries spit lies and eat lies.
Last edited by Tetradimensional Overworld on Fri May 03, 2019 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IF YOU THINK WE'RE FOUR DIMENSIONAL, YOU ARE MISTAKEN. THIS IS JUST AN OLD NAME, A PLACEHOLDER NAME. I WILL /STILLME YA IF YOU MAKE CRAPPY ANSWERS SO DEAL WITH IT VADIM
TETRADIMENSIONAL OVERWORLD isn't my IC name. This nation is pure unadulterated nostalgia, deal with it. Did you know that I wasted 400 million plus seconds of my life and you wasted more? Well, if I could go back to any age, I'd go back to the time when I was 11. Great times indeed. I'm an anti-communist, but I do love me some Soviet music.
Late childhood is the best part of childhood -- change my mind. People below 10 are in blissful ignorance so I'd rather avoid that. Blissful ignorance is not true happiness

Hirota
Powerbroker

Founded: Jan 22, 2004
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Hirota » Fri May 03, 2019 11:34 pm

I don't know why the news companies bother with advertising - they have all these cultists about to loudly shout their news source is the one true news source, and all other news sources are heretics.

It's almost cult thinking.
Last edited by Hirota on Fri May 03, 2019 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger - Confucius
Known to trigger Grammar Nazis, Spelling Nazis, Actual Nazis, the emotionally stunted and pedants.
Those affected by the views, opinions or general demeanour of this poster should review this puppy picture. Those affected by puppy pictures should consider investing in an isolation tank.

Economic Left/Right: -3.25, Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.03
Isn't it curious how people will claim they are against tribalism, then pigeonhole themselves into tribes?

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
I use obviously in italics to emphasise the conveying of sarcasm. If I've put excessive obviously's into a post that means I'm being sarcastic

Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Tetradimensional Overworld » Fri May 03, 2019 11:36 pm

Hirota wrote:I don't know why the news companies bother with advertising - they have all these cultists about to loudly shout their news source is the one true news source, and all other news sources are heretics.

It's radicalism.

The Chuck
Minister

Founded: Apr 18, 2018
Capitalist Paradise

Postby The Chuck » Fri May 03, 2019 11:41 pm

The Gold Standard of Journalism is to attempt to relay information to the reader in a clear and concise way which allows the reader to form their own opinions and thoughts on reported events. However, humans will always be biased and as such, News organizations will always have biases. To interpret the news nowadays, I believe the general public ought to look at multiple sources of both supporting and dissenting viewpoints. Not only this but the reader ought to engage in personal research into newsworthy events to better grasp and understand what is being reported on. This allows for consumers of news to develop their own thoughts and beliefs with a bigger picture than say if they were to simply watch one news source.

On a side note, what are peoples' thoughts on subscription based news services like the Wall Street Journal? Do you believe they are less biased/more biased than other news organizations such as Fox News or CNN?
I advocate for violence every single day. I work in the arms industry.
In-Character Advertisement Space:
The Chuck wholly endorses Wolf Armaments, Lauzanexport CDT, and
Silverport Dockyards Ltd.

"Keep your guns... and buy more guns!" - Kitty Werthmann, Austrian Nazi Regime Survivor
Roof Korea, Best Korea. Hippity Hoppity, 내 재산에서 꺼져.
Pro: Liberty/Freedoms of the Individual, Unrestricted firearms ownership
-Slava-
Ukraini

American Pere Housh
Senator

Founded: Jan 12, 2019
Father Knows Best State

Postby American Pere Housh » Fri May 03, 2019 11:41 pm

Hirota wrote:I don't know why the news companies bother with advertising - they have all these cultists about to loudly shout their news source is the one true news source, and all other news sources are heretics.

I'm not one of these so-called cultist because I pay attention to all news sources. The media is supposed to be apolitical.
Government Type: Militaristic Republic
Leader: President Alexander Jones
Prime Minister: Isabella Stuart-Jones
Secretary of Defense: Hitomi Izumi
Secretary of State: Eliza 'Vanny' Cortez
Time: 2023
Population: MT-450 million
Territory: All of North America, The Islands of the Caribbean and the Philippines

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General