NATION

PASSWORD

Idaho Republicans block ban on child marriage

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Aellex
Senator

Founded: Apr 23, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Aellex » Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:11 am

Purgatio wrote:
Aellex wrote:One can consent to be shot at and have no problem with it.
At the end of the day, it won't change the fact he got shot at, tho.

No, but consent can change or remove what's normatively-wrong with the act itself. Adultery is morally-wrong because it involves a breach of trust and confidence. Ex ante consent eliminates the breach of trust element of extra-marital intercourse and hence eliminates the source of its wrongful or turpituous character.

It doesn't tho.
Citoyen Français. Disillusioned Gaulliste. Catholique.

Tombé au champ d'honneur, add 11400 posts.

Member of the Committee
for Proletarian Morality

RIP Balk, you were too good a shitposter for this site.

Scomagia
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 14, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Scomagia » Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:12 am

Uxupox wrote:
Scomagia wrote:Just checking. I'm not fond of tax breaks for having kids, either.

Abolishing marriage is dumb, though. Marriage is a useful institution. I don't really want to have to sign dozens of contracts just so my wife can have the same rights to make medical decisions and other decisions for me if I need her to.

I'm just pulling your leg. It is dumb. It has been a rather useful institution for the past millennia. I do however disagree that a marriage should have incentives such as tax privileges.

I agree that the tax incentives are jacked and unnecessary for the institution of marriage.
Insert trite farewell here

Purgatio
Negotiator

Founded: May 18, 2018
Corporate Police State

Postby Purgatio » Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:15 am

Aellex wrote:
Purgatio wrote:
No, but consent can change or remove what's normatively-wrong with the act itself. Adultery is morally-wrong because it involves a breach of trust and confidence. Ex ante consent eliminates the breach of trust element of extra-marital intercourse and hence eliminates the source of its wrongful or turpituous character.

It doesn't tho.

Well that depends, why do you consider adultery wrong, if not the breach of trust and deceit involved.
Purgatio is an absolutist hereditary monarchy run as a one-party fascist dictatorship, which seized power in a sudden and abrupt coup d'état of 1987-1988, on an authoritarian eugenic and socially Darwinistic political philosophy and ideology, now ruled and dominated with a brutal iron fist under the watchful reign of Le Grand Roi Chalon-Arlay de la Fayette and La Grande Reine Geneviève de la Fayette (née Aumont) (i.e., the 'Founding Couple' or Le Couple Fondateur).

For a domestic Purgation 'propagandist' view of its role in the world, see: An Introduction to Purgatio.

And for a more 'objective' international perspective on Purgatio's history, culture, and politics, see: A Brief Overview of the History, Politics, and Culture of Le Royaume du Nettoyage de la Purgatio.

Scomagia
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Scomagia » Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:16 am

Katganistan wrote:I am against child rape. Child marriages are child rape.

What would you call two minors getting married with parental consent? As someone who grew up in Idaho, I can confirm that a lot of the "marriages by parental consent" are minors getting married, usually because someone got preggers, or a minor getting married to someone only a few years past the age of majority to keep the elder party from going to jail for no reason.

Purgatio
Negotiator

Founded: May 18, 2018
Corporate Police State

Postby Purgatio » Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:16 am

Scomagia wrote:
Purgatio wrote:
It kinda is, I mean why would people desire to enter an unsustainable relationship that will inevitably collapse. If I see a boy and girl who are clearly incompatible in their interests and temperaments and I whisper to my friend 'they're so not gonna work out, just you watch' I'm clearly passing judgment on their relationship, right. I'm not saying its always wrong to pass judgment on a relationship I'm just saying let's call a spade a spade here.

The only one talking about inevitabilities is you. I'm talking about probabilities. A better example is if I whispered to my friend, "I'm not sure they're going to work out. I think they might have a hard time but I wish them well." That's not a value judgement.

This might be a slightly semantic debate but yes I would characterise that as a judgmental statement. It might very well be justified judgment, or a judgment supported and vindicated by the facts, but its still passing judgment on the relationship.
Purgatio is an absolutist hereditary monarchy run as a one-party fascist dictatorship, which seized power in a sudden and abrupt coup d'état of 1987-1988, on an authoritarian eugenic and socially Darwinistic political philosophy and ideology, now ruled and dominated with a brutal iron fist under the watchful reign of Le Grand Roi Chalon-Arlay de la Fayette and La Grande Reine Geneviève de la Fayette (née Aumont) (i.e., the 'Founding Couple' or Le Couple Fondateur).

For a domestic Purgation 'propagandist' view of its role in the world, see: An Introduction to Purgatio.

And for a more 'objective' international perspective on Purgatio's history, culture, and politics, see: A Brief Overview of the History, Politics, and Culture of Le Royaume du Nettoyage de la Purgatio.

Scomagia
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Scomagia » Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:19 am

Purgatio wrote:
Scomagia wrote:The only one talking about inevitabilities is you. I'm talking about probabilities. A better example is if I whispered to my friend, "I'm not sure they're going to work out. I think they might have a hard time but I wish them well." That's not a value judgement.

This might be a slightly semantic debate but yes I would characterise that as a judgmental statement. It might very well be justified judgment, or a judgment supported and vindicated by the facts, but its still passing judgment on the relationship.

And I disagree because I'm not assigning a value to the relationship. I'm not saying it isn't a viable pursuit for some, just that it's a tumultuous structure. I don't see that as a value judgement.

But we're drifting off topic.

Telconi
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 08, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Telconi » Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:20 am

Odd definition of rape you have there, but okay...
-2.25 LEFT
-3.23 LIBERTARIAN

PRO:
-Weapons Rights
-Gender Equality
-LGBTQ Rights
-Racial Equality
-Religious Freedom
-Freedom of Speech
-Freedom of Association
-Life
-Limited Government
-Non Interventionism
-Labor Unions
-Environmental Protections
ANTI:
-Racism
-Sexism
-Bigotry In All Forms
-Government Overreach
-Government Surveillance
-Freedom For Security Social Transactions
-Unnecessary Taxes
-Excessively Specific Government Programs
-Foreign Entanglements
-Religious Extremism
-Fascists Masquerading as "Social Justice Warriors"

"The Constitution is NOT an instrument for the government to restrain the people,it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government-- lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." ~ Patrick Henry

El-Amin Caliphate
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 05, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby El-Amin Caliphate » Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:23 am

Xelsis wrote:Given that society currently considers children far younger than fifteen able to consent to hormone treatments and sex-change surgery, why not marriage?

Of the two, it's the far less life-altering.

You have a point here, but 1 difference is in the examples you've given, the children consent to it. In the case of this we don't really know if the child consented to this kind of marriage.
New Sukberia wrote:
Vassenor wrote:I'm running out of snark for this sort of crap.

Like... what is even the logic here at all? What makes it so vitally important to be able to marry someone who cannot legally consent to it?

Children can't consent. They can't. When will peopne understand this?

>Implying that my generation are statutory rapists
:eyebrow:
Literally over half the students in my high school have fornicated before. Or are you talking about younger children?
Purgatio wrote:
The National Salvation Front for Russia wrote:They were actors.

I know, I read the caption, but the social experiment was intended to portray something that actually happens and to shock the public, and I'm saying my reaction to it was disgust.

See this is something I don't like. If your gonna talk about a topic as controversial as this, have an actual married couple, not some actors.
-Ocelot- wrote:What's with conservatives and pedophilia? Can we talk about why so many conservatives have pedo skeletons in their closets?

Doesn't pedophilia involve underage people, and not just people under 18?
Page wrote:there may be some Muslims...who are for it, a lot aren't.

Which is why I'm on the fence about this subject. Here's what I think:

If people under 18 wanna get married, AlHamdulillah. But I recommend that they marry someone of equal/similar age. It shouldn't be "15 yr-old married 40 yr-old" imo.
Uxupox wrote:marriage should be abolished.

why should I pay more when I file my taxes as a single man instead of joint filing taxes with somebody else. damn discrimination against the single people.

Um....or you could just adjust the laws?
Scomagia wrote:

What would you call two minors getting married with parental consent? As someone who grew up in Idaho, I can confirm that a lot of the "marriages by parental consent" are minors getting married, usually because someone got preggers, or a minor getting married to someone only a few years past the age of majority to keep the elder party from going to jail for no reason.

I can agree with this. Except no one should be getting preggers before marriage and can't financially cafe for the baby.
Kubumba Tribe's sister nation. NOT A PUPPET! >w< In fact, this one came 1st.
Proud Full Member of the Council of Islamic Cooperation!^u^
I'm a (Pan) Islamist ;)
CLICK THIS
https://americanvision.org/948/theonomy-vs-theocracy/ wrote:God’s law cannot govern a nation where God’s law does not rule in the hearts of the people

Democracy and Freedom Index
Plaetopia wrote:Partly Free / Hybrid regime (score 4-6) El-Amin Caliphate (5.33)

Aellex
Senator

Founded: Apr 23, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Aellex » Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:28 am

Purgatio wrote:Well that depends, why do you consider adultery wrong, if not the breach of trust and deceit involved.

Because it's adultery. The breach of trust and deceit makes it all the more disgusting but at its core it's still wrong even if it is agreed upon.
Citoyen Français. Disillusioned Gaulliste. Catholique.

Tombé au champ d'honneur, add 11400 posts.

Member of the Committee
for Proletarian Morality

RIP Balk, you were too good a shitposter for this site.

New Sukberia
Envoy

Founded: Sep 18, 2018
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby New Sukberia » Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:36 am

El-Amin Caliphate wrote:
Xelsis wrote:Given that society currently considers children far younger than fifteen able to consent to hormone treatments and sex-change surgery, why not marriage?

You have a point here, but 1 difference is in the examples you've given, the children consent to it. In the case of this we don't really know if the child consented to this kind of marriage.
New Sukberia wrote:Children can't consent. They can't. When will peopne understand this?

Literally over half the students in my high school have fornicated before. Or are you talking about younger children?
Purgatio wrote:
I know, I read the caption, but the social experiment was intended to portray something that actually happens and to shock the public, and I'm saying my reaction to it was disgust.

See this is something I don't like. If your gonna talk about a topic as controversial as this, have an actual married couple, not some actors.
-Ocelot- wrote:What's with conservatives and pedophilia? Can we talk about why so many conservatives have pedo skeletons in their closets?

Page wrote:there may be some Muslims...who are for it, a lot aren't.

If people under 18 wanna get married, AlHamdulillah. But I recommend that they marry someone of equal/similar age. It shouldn't be "15 yr-old married 40 yr-old" imo.
Uxupox wrote:marriage should be abolished.

why should I pay more when I file my taxes as a single man instead of joint filing taxes with somebody else. damn discrimination against the single people.

Scomagia wrote:What would you call two minors getting married with parental consent? As someone who grew up in Idaho, I can confirm that a lot of the "marriages by parental consent" are minors getting married, usually because someone got preggers, or a minor getting married to someone only a few years past the age of majority to keep the elder party from going to jail for no reason.

I can agree with this. Except no one should be getting preggers before marriage and can't financially cafe for the baby.

Younger children of course. I was 16 when i had a relation with a 42 year old woman. She didn't rape me, nor would i call her a rapist ffs
Professionnal bombass bombillier. Former legionnaire 34-0

The Emerald Legion
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 18, 2011
Father Knows Best State

Postby The Emerald Legion » Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:36 am

Huh. Interesting. The odd thing is this bill also backhandedly bans homosexual marriage.

Probably not why it was shot down. But interesting nonetheless.
"23.The unwise man is awake all night, and ponders everything over; when morning comes he is weary in mind, and all is a burden as ever." - Havamal

New Sukberia
Envoy

Founded: Sep 18, 2018

Postby New Sukberia » Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:39 am

The Emerald Legion wrote:Huh. Interesting. The odd thing is this bill also backhandedly bans homosexual marriage.

Probably not why it was shot down. But interesting nonetheless.

Out of topic, but i like your "Enlighten the willing and exterminate the rest" quote
Professionnal bombass bombillier. Former legionnaire 34-0

Scomagia
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Scomagia » Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:40 am

New Sukberia wrote:
El-Amin Caliphate wrote:You have a point here, but 1 difference is in the examples you've given, the children consent to it. In the case of this we don't really know if the child consented to this kind of marriage.

Younger children of course. I was 16 when i had a relation with a 42 year old woman. She didn't rape me, nor would i call her a rapist ffs

I would call that woman a sexual predator.

Andsed
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 24, 2017
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Andsed » Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:41 am

Scomagia wrote:
New Sukberia wrote:

So would I.
I do be tired

LOVEWHOYOUARE~

The South Falls
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 18, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby The South Falls » Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:44 am

New Sukberia wrote:
El-Amin Caliphate wrote:You have a point here, but 1 difference is in the examples you've given, the children consent to it. In the case of this we don't really know if the child consented to this kind of marriage.

That's statutory rape, though. Plus, she's a predator. That relationship shouldn't have happened to begin with.
This is an MT nation that reflects some of my beliefs, trade deals and debate always welcome! Call me TeaSF. A level 8, according to This Index.

Political Compass Results:

Economic: -5.5
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.51
I make dumb jokes. I'm really serious about that.

Western Vale Confederacy
Powerbroker

Founded: Nov 09, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Western Vale Confederacy » Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:44 am

Scomagia wrote:
New Sukberia wrote:

Eeeh, here in Canada, 16 years old and a much older woman...

The make or break is usually if the woman is in a position of power or authority (for example, teacher or manager).

Scomagia
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Scomagia » Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:46 am

Western Vale Confederacy wrote:
Scomagia wrote:I would call that woman a sexual predator.

The make or break is usually if the woman is in a position of power or authority (for example, teacher or manager).

When it comes to mid teenagers, if the older party is more than four years older or so it starts to look pretty exploitative.

The Grims
Ambassador

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby The Grims » Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:49 am

The South Falls wrote:
New Sukberia wrote:

That's statutory rape, though. Plus, she's a predator. That relationship shouldn't have happened to begin with.

Varies from country to ountry. In many European countries 16 is the age of consent, so this relationship would not be illegal there, unless it was prostitution or she was a teacher/caretaker/etc of him.

The South Falls
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The South Falls » Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:51 am

Scomagia wrote:I would call that woman a sexual predator.

I stil think it's wrong. There are 42 year olds to choose from.
This is an MT nation that reflects some of my beliefs, trade deals and debate always welcome! Call me TeaSF. A level 8, according to This Index.

The South Falls
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The South Falls » Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:52 am

The Grims wrote:
The South Falls wrote:That's statutory rape, though. Plus, she's a predator. That relationship shouldn't have happened to begin with.

Varies from country to ountry. In many European countries 16 is the age of consent, so this relationship would not be illegal there, unless it was prostitution or she was a teacher/caretaker/etc of him.

I still think it, and the entire institution of child marriage is wrong. But you're right, on that one.

Western Vale Confederacy
Powerbroker

Founded: Nov 09, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Western Vale Confederacy » Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:52 am

Scomagia wrote:

When it comes to mid teenagers, if the older party is more than four years older or so it starts to look pretty exploitative.

The reasoning behind said law is exactly that, because most relationships with such large age gaps often involve a disparity in authority.

Shofercia
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 22, 2008

Postby Shofercia » Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:57 am

Vassenor wrote:

Posting blatant falsehoods to try and NO U this discussion to a close? That's weak.

He has a good point - sex change surgery can be much more invasive than marriage.

Western Vale Confederacy wrote:Eh, like somebody else said, this is less of a Republican thing and more of a Idaho thing lol

That’s just reject Montana for ya!

But WVC, we all have to say that Republicans are bad in this thread, didn't you get the memo?

New Sukberia wrote:
Vassenor wrote:I'm running out of snark for this sort of crap.

Like... what is even the logic here at all? What makes it so vitally important to be able to marry someone who cannot legally consent to it?

Children can't consent. They can't. When will peopne understand this?

So someone's 17 years, 11 months, 29 days, 23 hours, and 59 seconds old - they cannot consent. Suddenly, in the very next second, they turn 18, and now have the magical power to consent, just a second later. Were they visited by an angel in that very second?

The age of consent is partially based on the draft age, which varied. During the Civil War, the draft age was 20, during WWI, it was 21, and in 1940, it became 18. In response to that, and the Vietnam War, in 1971, a Voting Act was passed, making 18 the voting age. Did the people suddenly gain a better understanding of the Voting System in 1971, than in 1970? You can't just go around slapping blank statements, it makes you look very silly.

Vassenor wrote:
Xelsis wrote:
Are you actually claiming that no youth under fifteen are encouraged into hormone therapy/SRS? That's not a difficult claim to disprove.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/sex-change ... -the-rise/

"Blatant falsehoods".

Notice how your article doesn't say anything about children being pushed towards getting SRS pre-AOC.

Also do you have anything that isn't six years old?

You do realize that you didn't invalidate anything that he said, right? Maybe his article's age of consent is six years old. And children, or adults being pushed towards marriage, is also wrong.
Come, learn about Russian Culture! Bring Vodka and Ushanka. Interested in Slavic Culture? Fill this out.
Stonk Power! (North) Kosovo is (a de facto part of) Serbia and Crimea is (a de facto part of) Russia
I used pronouns until the mods made using wrong pronouns warnable, so I use names instead; if you see malice there, that's entirely on you, and if pronouns are no longer warnable, I'll go back to using them

The Grims
Ambassador

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby The Grims » Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:58 am

Scomagia wrote:When it comes to mid teenagers, if the older party is more than four years older or so it starts to look pretty exploitative.

The reasoning behind said law is exactly that, because most relationships with such large age gaps often involve a disparity in authority.

True, but the same can said about a difference in social status (the prince and the peasant girl), IQ or education (the professor and the cleaning lady), personality (extravert and introvert) etc.

Cetacea
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 27, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Cetacea » Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:01 am

The Grims wrote:
The South Falls wrote:That's statutory rape, though. Plus, she's a predator. That relationship shouldn't have happened to begin with.

Even in nations where 16 is of age a relationship between a 42 yr old and a 16 yr old while Not illegal would still be frowned upon as exploitive. Hell, I was 25 when I meet my wife who was 34 and even then people commented on the age gap.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General