NATION

PASSWORD

Unwashed men are racist.

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Cannot think of a name » Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:30 pm

Woodfiredpizzas wrote:
USS Monitor wrote:
It's just, like, his opinion, man.

Actually if you read the op or the linked articles you would see it’s several peoples opinions, ah boat?

One out of five dentists don't care if there's sugar in your gum.
"...I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods of direct action;" who paternalistically feels he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by the myth of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait until a "more convenient season." -MLK Jr.

Blazelander
Bureaucrat

Founded: Jul 30, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Blazelander » Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:31 pm

NeoOasis wrote:Abso-fucking-lutely context is important.

I like your flag fren :DD

LiberNovusAmericae
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 10, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby LiberNovusAmericae » Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:34 pm

Cannot think of a name wrote:
Bombadil wrote:Making an issue of someone making an issue of something that might or might not be an issue and the merry-go-round continues..

Outrage at outrage is wearing me out. Which I guess is the point...

Then maybe you leftists should find something better to be outraged about.
Last edited by LiberNovusAmericae on Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Valentine Z
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 08, 2015
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Valentine Z » Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:34 pm

Must be a slow news day. I mean, there's always something that someone will get worked up over.

Whether you want that to be trivial or to be the "end of the world"-esque news, depends on whether you ignored, or giving them more attention.

I am definitely against racism, but this is just ridiculousness.
Last edited by Valentine Z on Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Val's Stuff. ♡ ^_^ ♡ For You
If you are reading my sig, I want you to have the best day ever ! You are worth it, do not let anyone get you down !
Glory to De Geweldige Sierlijke Katachtige Utopia en Zijne Autonome Machten ov Valentine Z !
(✿◠‿◠) ☆ \(^_^)/ ☆

Issues Thread Photography Stuff Project: Save F7. Stats Analysis

The Sixty! Valentian Stories! Gwen's Adventures!

• Never trouble trouble until trouble troubles you.
• World Map is a cat playing with Australia.
Let Fate sort it out.

Bombadil
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 13, 2011

Postby Bombadil » Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:35 pm

Woodfiredpizzas wrote:
Bombadil wrote:
See.. let's look at the headline in the Washington Examiner.. 'Everything is racist, coal miner edition'.

Clearly clickbait to make an issue of something already predetermined in their audience minds and meaning the nuance of what the person was saying is lost.. because hey nuance is for idiots.

His point is that generally black people are portrayed in a negative manner in the media and this has actual real world effects of being treated differently just because of your skin colour. Even if it's just coal miners after a hard days work people might not take that in and in their mind revert to images of blackface from movies, posters and more.

Hence he suggests a note with the photo with context.

What he's really talking about is the power of imagery.. but hey. And maybe he's right or wrong, but he's creating a discussion not pandering to the prejudices of his readers. However..

Everything is racist, coal miner edition

That's really aimed at solving anything isn't it.

That someone thinks that the photo needs a note, is the issue.

That you need to construct a narrative around your identity and link it’s effects to a harmless photo is pandering to his readers.

To have your identity moulded around you for nothing more than skin colour is the issue. For people to make assumptions about you based solely on appearance is the issue, especially when media imagery of all forms pushes an agenda. Let's have a look at FOX front page..

Police release 'people of interest' photos in case of 'Empire' star's attack

Black person

Man suspected of punching 2 women at hot dog stand turns himself in

Black person

Texas executes inmate, 61, who killed police officer in adult-bookstore robbery

Black person

Sarah Sanders says God 'wanted Donald Trump to become president'

Wait.. what the..

Do only black people commit violent crimes in America?
Last edited by Bombadil on Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eldest, that's what I am...Tom remembers the first raindrop and the first acorn...he knew the dark under the stars when it was fearless — before the Dark Lord came from Outside..

十年

Woodfiredpizzas
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jan 15, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Woodfiredpizzas » Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:37 pm

Bombadil wrote:
Woodfiredpizzas wrote:

That someone thinks that the photo needs a note, is the issue.

That you need to construct a narrative around your identity and link it’s effects to a harmless photo is pandering to his readers.

To have your identity moulded around you for nothing more than skin colour is the issue. For people to make assumptions about you based solely on appearance is the issue. Let's have a look at FOX front page..

Black person

Black person

Black person

Wait.. what the..

So which of those black People can you prove didn’t earn their spot?
Reheated donuts

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Postby Cannot think of a name » Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:42 pm

Woodfiredpizzas wrote:
Bombadil wrote:
To have your identity moulded around you for nothing more than skin colour is the issue. For people to make assumptions about you based solely on appearance is the issue. Let's have a look at FOX front page..

Black person

Black person

Black person

Wait.. what the..

There were 1.28 million violent crimes in the US in 2017. How did they earn their spot?
"...I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods of direct action;" who paternalistically feels he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by the myth of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait until a "more convenient season." -MLK Jr.

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Postby Cannot think of a name » Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:43 pm

LiberNovusAmericae wrote:
Cannot think of a name wrote:Outrage at outrage is wearing me out. Which I guess is the point...

Then maybe you leftists should find something better to be outraged about.

I get that this is your goal, but "I'm mad that you're mad" isn't super compelling.

Bombadil
Post Marshal

Postby Bombadil » Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:44 pm

Woodfiredpizzas wrote:
Bombadil wrote:

Black person

Black person

Black person

Wait.. what the..

..or maybe the point Raheem Sterling made.. where two football players on the same team, same point in their career, never played for first team.. had two very different headlines on purchasing a house for their parents.

One read.. Manchester City starlet Phil Foden buys new GBP2M home for his mum.
The other.. Young Manchester City player, 20, on GBP25K a week, splashes out on mansion on market for GBP2.25M despite having never started a Premier League match

Guess which colour the related images portrayed for which headline..

Imagery means a lot, the writer of that opinion article was saying what it means to him, the Washington Examiner were just feeding into prejudice.

It's the issue with the issue that's the main problem here.
Eldest, that's what I am...Tom remembers the first raindrop and the first acorn...he knew the dark under the stars when it was fearless — before the Dark Lord came from Outside..

十年

Woodfiredpizzas
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Woodfiredpizzas » Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:44 pm

Cannot think of a name wrote:
Woodfiredpizzas wrote:

There were 1.28 million violent crimes in the US in 2017. How did they earn their spot?

However Fox News wants, it’s their property.
Reheated donuts

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jul 01, 2015

Postby USS Monitor » Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:48 pm

Woodfiredpizzas wrote:
Cannot think of a name wrote:There were 1.28 million violent crimes in the US in 2017. How did they earn their spot?

TBF, I think they would run out of space quickly if they tried to report on every person that punched two other people.
Don't take life so serious... it isn't permanent... RIP Dyakovo and Ashmoria
19th century steamships may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. In case of accidental ingestion, please seek immediate medical assistance.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Postby Cannot think of a name » Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:50 pm

Woodfiredpizzas wrote:
Cannot think of a name wrote:There were 1.28 million violent crimes in the US in 2017. How did they earn their spot?

There are ways of debating. Different schools of philosophy or rhetoric that can shed light or direct a certain way of thinking. Employing those can be interesting even in the exercise of them.

Then there's the 'random bullshit' method, where one just posts the most tangential random bullshit as a response whether it follows the discussion or not in an attempt to frustrate and exhaust the 'opponent'. This internet style tactic can be very satisfying for the random bullshitter but that's about it.

Which is to say, masturbation is a solo act, you don't need me for it. I'll let Bombadil carry it out from here because he's doing a bang up job of making a valid point that needs making and I don't want to distract from that with someone trying to get my goat.

Woodfiredpizzas
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Woodfiredpizzas » Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:51 pm

Bombadil wrote:
Woodfiredpizzas wrote:

..or maybe the point Raheem Sterling made.. where two football players on the same team, same point in their career, never played for first team.. had two very different headlines on purchasing a house for their parents.

The other.. Young Manchester City player, 20, on GBP25K a week, splashes out on mansion on market for GBP2.25M despite having never started a Premier League match

Imagery means a lot, the writer of that opinion article was saying what it means to him, the Washington Examiner were just feeding into prejudice.

Did they both do those things?
Then why did what race they were matter?

Imagery may mean a lot to some, but hurt feelings doesn’t get to decide racism.
Reheated donuts

Valentine Z
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 08, 2015
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Valentine Z » Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:53 pm

USS Monitor wrote:
Woodfiredpizzas wrote:

TBF, I think they would run out of space quickly if they tried to report on every person that punched two other people.

https://talksport.com/sport/boxing/4640 ... s-results/

Or what if they are to report "someone punched someone" ? :P
Last edited by Valentine Z on Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Val's Stuff. ♡ ^_^ ♡ For You
If you are reading my sig, I want you to have the best day ever ! You are worth it, do not let anyone get you down !
Glory to De Geweldige Sierlijke Katachtige Utopia en Zijne Autonome Machten ov Valentine Z !
(✿◠‿◠) ☆ \(^_^)/ ☆

Issues Thread Photography Stuff Project: Save F7. Stats Analysis

The Sixty! Valentian Stories! Gwen's Adventures!

• Never trouble trouble until trouble troubles you.
• World Map is a cat playing with Australia.
Let Fate sort it out.

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Postby USS Monitor » Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:02 am

Woodfiredpizzas wrote:
Bombadil wrote:

But why is that a big deal? A guy thought something was racist and you don't think it is. So you disagree with another person. Well, okay.
People disagree all the time. Why is it such a big deal that someone disagrees with you about this?
19th century steamships may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. In case of accidental ingestion, please seek immediate medical assistance.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།

Woodfiredpizzas
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Woodfiredpizzas » Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:04 am

USS Monitor wrote:
Woodfiredpizzas wrote:

But why is that a big deal? A guy thought something was racist and you don't think it is. So you disagree with another person. Well, okay.
People disagree all the time. Why is it such a big deal that someone disagrees with you about this?

Accuracy is important.
Reheated donuts

Bombadil
Post Marshal

Postby Bombadil » Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:07 am

Woodfiredpizzas wrote:
Bombadil wrote:

The point is they did exactly the same thing, bought a house for their mother.. how that same thing was reported was very different for the white player as opposed to the black player.. the point is how people are represented in the media has effect on everyday perception of those people, and where black people are invariably portrayed negatively that has real everyday effects on their life.

That's the point the author was making, it was the Washington Examiner who reported it in a way for no other reason than to entrench prejudice and increase ignorance and make an issue of something for which there was no real need to make an issue.

十年

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Postby USS Monitor » Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:10 am

Woodfiredpizzas wrote:
USS Monitor wrote:

Accuracy is important.

The world is full of inaccurate information and questionable opinions. Why pick on this one specifically?

Woodfiredpizzas
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Woodfiredpizzas » Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:13 am

Bombadil wrote:
Woodfiredpizzas wrote:

The point is they did exactly the same thing, bought a house for their mother.. how that same thing was reported was very different for the white player as opposed to the black player.. the point is how people are represented in the media has effect on everyday perception of those people, and where black people are invariably portrayed negatively that has real everyday effects on their life.

That's the point the author was making, it was the Washington Examiner who reported it in a way for no other reason than to entrench prejudice and increase ignorance and make an issue of something for which there was no real need to make an issue.

Is it black People are invariably portrayed negatively or black People are portrayed negatively in comparison to other people?
Are those depictions inaccurate?

Seems more like the author wanted to link a non racist thing to a racist thing for no other reason than he wanted to maintain a narrative of racism.
Reheated donuts

Woodfiredpizzas
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Woodfiredpizzas » Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:15 am

USS Monitor wrote:
Woodfiredpizzas wrote:
Accuracy is important.

The world is full of inaccurate information and questionable opinions. Why pick on this one specifically?

Getting a definition of actual racism and holding people to it would dispel a lot of shit flinging in conversation.
Reheated donuts

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Postby USS Monitor » Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:18 am

Woodfiredpizzas wrote:
USS Monitor wrote:

Getting a definition of actual racism and holding people to it would dispel a lot of shit flinging in conversation.

You would still be flinging shit to enforce your definition of racism. If you want less shit flinging, stop flinging shit.

Woodfiredpizzas
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Woodfiredpizzas » Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:22 am

USS Monitor wrote:
Woodfiredpizzas wrote:

You would still be flinging shit to enforce your definition of racism. If you want less shit flinging, stop flinging shit.

I’m up for an actual definition. It’s why I keep using actual instead of my.
Reheated donuts

Bombadil
Post Marshal

Postby Bombadil » Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:22 am

Woodfiredpizzas wrote:
Bombadil wrote:

Is it black People are invariably portrayed negatively or black People are portrayed negatively in comparison to other people?

Seems more like the author wanted to link a non racist thing to a racist thing for no other reason than he wanted to maintain a narrative of racism.

I'm sure, and if you were a reporter and another media reported your opinion as 'Woodfiredpizzas denies racism exists!' you might think that an unfair representation of your actual views.

However, I am now officially bored of this..

十年

Woodfiredpizzas
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Woodfiredpizzas » Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:38 am

Bombadil wrote:
Woodfiredpizzas wrote:

I'm sure, and if you were a reporter and another media reported your opinion as 'Woodfiredpizzas denies racism exists!' you might think that an unfair representation of your actual views.

However, I am now officially bored of this..

Not really, it depends if the thing is actually racist or not. And it would be the argument I’d be making.
Reheated donuts

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Postby USS Monitor » Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:51 am

Woodfiredpizzas wrote:
USS Monitor wrote:

I’m up for an actual definition. It’s why I keep using actual instead of my.

People disagree on everything else. Why do you think it's possible to make everyone agree on one definition of racism?

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General