NATION

PASSWORD

Cursive - Teach It Or Don't?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Faadio
Civilian

Founded: Sep 13, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Faadio » Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:48 am

Cursive sounds very much like cursing. Coincidence? I think not.

Old Tyrannia
Game Moderator

Founded: Aug 11, 2009
Father Knows Best State

Postby Old Tyrannia » Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:48 am

Cursive is the proper way to write English. It's both a more efficient way of writing and more aesthetically pleasing than block print. I always write in cursive, and whilst my regular script is pretty unintelligible to anyone who isn't me I can write very clearly whilst still joining the letters if what I'm writing has to be understood by others. Removing it from the curriculum seems to me to be a symptom of the education system "dumbing down" and catering to lazy students. Obviously if a student has a particular reason for finding cursive difficult, as some posters in this thread have mentioned, exceptions should be made; but otherwise it should be compulsory. I think schools should teach shorthand, as well- it's a very useful skill.
Aellex wrote:
Page wrote:
I'm originally from Florida and every person under 30 I've ever met only writes in print.

Guess it might just be cultural then. The only thing I've seen people ever write in print was their family name and it's because it's a convention to make sure people don't mistake a letter reading it.

I suspect not teaching cursive is a largely American thing. In my experience it's very much the norm here in the UK to write in cursive as well; I do know people who prefer to write in non-cursive, but it's the exception rather than the rule.
Last edited by Old Tyrannia on Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Classicist in literature, royalist in politics, and Anglo-Catholic in religion" (T.S. Eliot). Still, unaccountably, a NationStates Moderator.
"Have I done something for the general interest? Well then, I have had my reward. Let this always be present to thy mind, and never stop doing such good." - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations (Book XI, IV)
⚜ GOD SAVE THE KING

Saiwania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 30, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Saiwania » Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:52 am

Hell yes people should learn cursive. Although writing cursive letters or documents isn't important anymore for the most part. People very rarely do this in the digital age. It is only truly important to write your signature. The people who're too lazy to write a legible signature and just make an illegible scribble, that pisses me off. I can't be the only one who minds.

I think cursive can be taught in just one week or a few days at most. In only one or two afternoons if not going in depth. You only need to know how to write your name to sign legal documents or so forth.
Last edited by Saiwania on Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sith Acolyte
Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken!

Altion
Bureaucrat

Founded: Nov 06, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Altion » Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:09 am

Saiwania wrote:Hell yes people should learn cursive. Although writing cursive letters or documents isn't important anymore for the most part. People very rarely do this in the digital age. It is only truly important to write your signature. The people who're too lazy to write a legible signature and just make an illegible scribble, that pisses me off. I can't be the only one who minds.

I think cursive can be taught in just one week or a few days at most. In only one or two afternoons if not going in depth. You only need to know how to write your name to sign legal documents or so forth.

Many of the 'lazy' people, or at least some, probably have a disorder like Dysgraphia, which is often mistaken for the person in question being lazy. Although I can understand why cursive would be more aesthetically pleasing for some.
Old Tyrannia wrote:Cursive is the proper way to write English. It's both a more efficient way of writing and more aesthetically pleasing than block print. I always write in cursive, and whilst my regular script is pretty unintelligible to anyone who isn't me I can write very clearly whilst still joining the letters if what I'm writing has to be understood by others. Removing it from the curriculum seems to me to be a symptom of the education system "dumbing down" and catering to lazy students. Obviously if a student has a particular reason for finding cursive difficult, as some posters in this thread have mentioned, exceptions should be made; but otherwise it should be compulsory. I think schools should teach shorthand, as well- it's a very useful skill.
Aellex wrote:Guess it might just be cultural then. The only thing I've seen people ever write in print was their family name and it's because it's a convention to make sure people don't mistake a letter reading it.

I suspect not teaching cursive is a largely American thing. In my experience it's very much the norm here in the UK to write in cursive as well; I do know people who prefer to write in non-cursive, but it's the exception rather than the rule.

I live in the UK, and my infant and junior schools never taught cursive. Although they tried to force me to write with my right hand when I'm left-handed when I was in Year 3... although they stopped after receiving a very angry phone call from my parents.
The Blaatschapen wrote:
Valrifell wrote:
You can not physically break c without going massless. Astronauts need mass.

Well, theoretically you could warp spacetime but that's like real hard unless you have a lot of mass.

I suggest sending Christians, they have mass quite often.

Rojava Free State wrote:
Scorpio Spikal wrote:As long as I can be free when the world ends, no.

Everybody waiting for global warming to kill us, but I ain't no bitch.

Ladies and gentlemen, I'm gonna go wake cthulhu up. I got an alarm clock and if that doesn't work I have a trumpet. We're about to get things lit

Ghost Land
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 14, 2014
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Ghost Land » Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:16 am

Old Tyrannia wrote:Cursive is the proper way to write English. It's both a more efficient way of writing and more aesthetically pleasing than block print. I always write in cursive, and whilst my regular script is pretty unintelligible to anyone who isn't me I can write very clearly whilst still joining the letters if what I'm writing has to be understood by others. Removing it from the curriculum seems to me to be a symptom of the education system "dumbing down" and catering to lazy students. Obviously if a student has a particular reason for finding cursive difficult, as some posters in this thread have mentioned, exceptions should be made; but otherwise it should be compulsory. I think schools should teach shorthand, as well- it's a very useful skill.
Aellex wrote:Guess it might just be cultural then. The only thing I've seen people ever write in print was their family name and it's because it's a convention to make sure people don't mistake a letter reading it.

"Proper" according to whom?
Forum account/puppet of 60s Music.
Originally joined 24 April 2012.
All lives matter. Race, age, and gender are unimportant.
Me OOC
Awesome/Funny Quotes
Right-wing libertarian
This nation reflects the OPPOSITE of my views.
Pro: Donald Trump, tougher border laws, 1st/2nd Amendments, benevolent dictators, libertarianism, capitalism
Anti: Democratic Party, The Clintons, Joe Biden, Nancy Pelosi, abortion, gun control, #MeToo, communism, racism and racial nationalism, affirmative action, SJWs

SD_Film Artists
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jun 10, 2009
Father Knows Best State

Postby SD_Film Artists » Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:30 am

It can be faster and prettier than printed letters, but other than that it's an outdated, sometimes unclear method which perpetuates arbitrary discrimination against those who didn't learn it.
Lurking NSG since 2005
Economic Left/Right: -2.62, Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 0.67

When anybody preaches disunity, tries to pit one of us against each other through class warfare, race hatred, or religious intolerance, you know that person seeks to rob us of our freedom and destroy our very lives.

Lillorainen
Senator

Founded: Apr 17, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Lillorainen » Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:46 am

Haven't some Scandinavian countries done away with it as well, or am I mistaken ...?

German here; my elementary school time was in the early 2000s, and I've learned two different variants of cursive due to a switch between schools (my home state hasn't mandated a general scripture style for primary schools, it used to be left up to schools themselves back then). While I do see the merits of cursive regarding efficiency and aesthetics, it has gotten me into trouble due to my entirely illegible handwriting - as a result, I started to use block letters, or rather an individualized variant of it, as soon as I entered secondary school. All my teachers approved of that decision. And I'm just as fast as others are writing cursive, despite picking up the pen after each letter. It's just what I'm used to. In fact, nowadays, writing one word in (legible) cursive takes me as much of time as writing a complete sentence in my semi-block scripture.
So, in my opinion, yes, it should still be taught. But it should be left up to individual students whether to continue using cursive once they've learned it, or get back to block letters, as in many cases such as mine, the latter makes more sense than forcing them to still use cursive. All that should count is that teachers can read it.
Last edited by Lillorainen on Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Since Lillorainen's geography is currently being overhauled a 'tiny' bit, most information on it posted before December 12, 2018, is not entirely reliable anymore. Until there's a new, proper factfile, everything you might need to know can be found here. Thank you. #RetconOfDoom (Very late update, 2020/08/30 - it's still going on ...)

Western Vale Confederacy
Powerbroker

Founded: Nov 09, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Western Vale Confederacy » Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:50 am

I despised cursive because I was left-handed, and immediately reverted back to standard detached writing when cursive in assignments ceased to be mandatory.

That said, I would not oppose teaching students how to write in cursive, but let them choose whether they prefer cursive or detached.

Pax Nerdvana
Post Marshal

Founded: May 22, 2017
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Pax Nerdvana » Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:15 am

They tried to teach us cursive in elementary school, but I don't remember anything about it, except that I hated it. I can't even write cursive at all. I should probably at least come up with a signature.
The Internet killed gun control.
Quotes
We Will Not Comply
They can’t stop the Signal
"The universe did never make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract."
-Robert Heinlein

"Affordability
Suitability (.22LR for squirrels, bigger .22s for long range little things, and big-bore for legal hunting reasons, etc)
Ammunition supply-chain (6.5x55 Swede and .303 British, although available, isn't exactly everywhere)
If it's ugly, uncomfortable, and can't shoot straight, but it accomplishes the above, then it's either a Mosin or a Hi-Point."
-Hurtful Thoughts on stuff you want in a gun

Teachian
Envoy

Founded: Sep 23, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Teachian » Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:57 am

When I transferred to a public high school after attending a private school for most of my childhood, I remember one of my new friends being blown away by the fact that I wrote my homework in cursive. I had never love or hated it, but when nuns yelled at me for a few years to do it that way, that was my go-to.

Once I started dropping it a year or so later, I never went back. I can read cursive, but print looks infinitely nicer to me, both ascethically and in the ability to read bad handwriting. I still have no problem signing my name for stuff, which is pretty often, but it’s been so long I usually work off of muscle memory more than conscious thought when using it. And idk if it’s just because I fucked up my hand posture, but print is far easier to use, which goes doubly so as I start teaching myself how to write with my left hand. I’m a-okay with other people using cursive, but I think the segment of the population that’ll actually be able to read it is growing smaller and smaller.
Was looking for the washroom, somehow became president

Kiruri
Post Marshal

Founded: Dec 26, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Kiruri » Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:02 am

Cursive, is it useful for anything?

To be honest, the answer's obviously no. If it were useful or key in helping complete a specific goal then cursive as a writing technique wouldn't currently be dying out. Those I know of my generation, I'm currently 22, have never had to submit any assignment or present any documentation handwritten in cursive at all. Not once in college/university and certainly not once in our respective workplaces. We live in a society dominated by typed and printed word docs.

In fact, now that I think about it, at least in my Uni and at work we've adopted a print-ONLY-if-necessary mentality where basically all documentation is in their electronic format.

I feel we currently value typing skills above calligraphy/cursive handwriting skills. I do recall being taught cursive in elementary school but as soon as I hit middle school I never had to do any cursive assignment nor was I expected to write anything in cursive. In middle school, we started exclusively with typing skills and developing at least 70 wpm speeds. That's, imho, what replaced cursive.
I'm BIwinning
CelebrateBisexualityDaySeptember 23rd
Costa Rican
Dirty Paws!
d(^o^)b¸¸♬·¯·♩¸¸♪·¯·♫¸¸
=^..^=

Katganistan
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Katganistan » Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:14 am

For fuck's sake, teach it.

I'm getting more and more students whose handwriting is so bad I can't grade their (in-class) essays because they are completely illegible. Given they need to write longhand for standardized exams anyway, not teaching cursive because everyone uses a computer is crippling them at expressing themselves on handwritten tasks.

If you want to do away with it then don't be assholes: make test centers where student can type their comprehensive exams on computers. Don't stop teaching it and continue to force students to write essays by hand.
Last edited by Katganistan on Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:21 am, edited 2 times in total.

SD_Film Artists
Postmaster-General

Father Knows Best State

Postby SD_Film Artists » Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:20 am

Katganistan wrote:For fuck's sake, teach it.

I'm getting more and more students whose handwriting is so bad I can't grade their essays because they are completely illegible. Given they need to write longhand for standardized exams anyway, not teaching cursive because everyone uses a computer is crippling them at expressing themselves on handwritten tasks.

It's not really about computers though. It's just not enforcing a rather arbitrary writing style onto people. Sometimes cursive is so smooth and curly that it ceases to be intelligible letters and just looks like one long signature; and apparently we do this for "clarity".
Last edited by SD_Film Artists on Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
Lurking NSG since 2005

When anybody preaches disunity, tries to pit one of us against each other through class warfare, race hatred, or religious intolerance, you know that person seeks to rob us of our freedom and destroy our very lives.

Katganistan
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Katganistan » Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:22 am

SD_Film Artists wrote:
Katganistan wrote:For fuck's sake, teach it.

I'm getting more and more students whose handwriting is so bad I can't grade their essays because they are completely illegible. Given they need to write longhand for standardized exams anyway, not teaching cursive because everyone uses a computer is crippling them at expressing themselves on handwritten tasks.

It's not really about computers though. It's just not enforcing a rather arbitrary writing style onto people. Sometimes cursive is so smooth and curly that it ceases to be intelligible letters and just looks like one long signature.

I don't care what they're taught as long as it's legible. Cursive, block printing, d'nealian, whatever -- if you insist on hand written tasks, then teach clear handwriting.

SD_Film Artists
Postmaster-General

Father Knows Best State

Postby SD_Film Artists » Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:24 am

Katganistan wrote:
SD_Film Artists wrote:
It's not really about computers though. It's just not enforcing a rather arbitrary writing style onto people. Sometimes cursive is so smooth and curly that it ceases to be intelligible letters and just looks like one long signature.

I don't care what they're taught as long as it's legible. Cursive, block printing, d'nealian, whatever -- if you insist on hand written tasks, then teach clear handwriting.

That I can agree with.
Lurking NSG since 2005

Ungvarnfjall
Spokesperson

Founded: Sep 03, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Ungvarnfjall » Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:24 am

It doesn't really matter. It's not a bulwark of American culture and definitely not an imperative of the English language, so it living on or dying off, imo, won't have any real impact. I just choose to write with it because my cursive is more organized than my normal print handwriting. In cursive, I look like I could be a medieval prince. In print, I'm probably 9-years-old.
.‡ WINTER IS COMING ‡.

廣東話 / Français / نجد عربي / Русский / Ελληνική / Latine
please leave me out of politics
no ns stats

Augustus Legions
Envoy

Founded: Jun 26, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Augustus Legions » Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:27 am

why cant they make it an elective so that no one has to do cursive homework in 3rd grade
Eat ass, smoke grass, sled fast.
I'm not a Gnoblin, I'm not a Gnelf; I'm a Gnome, and you've been
GNOMED!

Trollzyn the Infinite
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 22, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Trollzyn the Infinite » Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:35 am

It is an evil thing that should be destroyed.
☆ American Patriot ☆ Civic Nationalist ☆ Rocker & Metalhead ☆ Heretical Christian ☆
"My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right."

Reminder that Donald J. Trump is officially a traitor to the United States of America as of January 6th, 2021
The Paradox of Tolerance
永远不会忘记1989年6月4日天安门广场大屠杀
Ես Արցախի կողքին եմ
Wanted Fugitive of the Chinese Communist Party
Unapologetic stan for Lana Beniko - #1 Sith Waifu

Nakena
Post Marshal

Founded: May 06, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Nakena » Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:36 am

Trollzyn the Infinite wrote:It is an evil thing that should be destroyed.

Amen

Nevv Vegas
Attaché

Founded: Nov 02, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Nevv Vegas » Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:41 am

What's the matter? Why not teach cursive? They teach it in Estonia. Everyone having a different style of writing Will make it harder to read. Also cursive is beautiful.
S: National Syndicalism/Falangism, Estonian Nationalism, Enviromentalism, Protestantism, Strasserism, Azov Brigade and Eco-Fascism.
A: Revision Of Trianon, Huey Long, Italian Fascism.
B: Indian Restoration over America, Hitlerism and Esoteric Hitlerism.
C: China,
D:
E: Communism (Inherently leads to the destruction of ethnicity and language, see USSR and Russification), Russia (Gib Petseri Back).
F: USA, Republicans, Democrats, Israel, Zionism, Palestine, Judaism, LGBT, Feminism, Paganism, Islam.

Elagu Eesti!
Previous entities: Polvamaa, National Estonia.

New Vegas, 2283, Mr. House has taken most of the Mojave after the second battle of Hoover Dam with the NCR nearly destroyed and the Legion in a civil war. And House is going to expand his enterprise.

Pope Joan
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 11, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Pope Joan » Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:23 am

Most teachers are themselves inept at handwriting and so are incapable of teaching it.
I learned much more satisfactorily by teaching myself
"Life is difficult".

-M. Scott Peck

Zitravgrad
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 27, 2017
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Zitravgrad » Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:27 am

Pope Joan wrote:Most teachers are themselves inept at handwriting and so are incapable of teaching it.
I learned much more satisfactorily by teaching myself

Hah, yes... This was one of the problems presented when I was younger. We had exercise books in which we wrote in cursive, but the teachers still wrote in print on the board.
❄ ❄ United Federation of Zitravgrad ❄ ❄
PMT/Early FT - Decopunk. Zitravgrad is a crowned republic in a planet somewhere else in the universe. The formerly wartorn nation keeps a facade of normalcy and order while enjoying the societal and cultural decadence that marks the new Roaring Twenties. The paranoid authoritarian government tries its best to uphold order in the face of uncertainty, while its people want nothing more than a breathing space. A deal that works, but maybe not in the long run. | My NS-Related Art | Hehe bad meme as flag
Providenska's Herald: "Publish or Perish" culture contributes to stress in academia | Public Smoking Ban revisited - authority urged to take it more seriously

Hammer Britannia
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 08, 2016
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Hammer Britannia » Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:29 am

Valentine Z wrote:Everyone has their own style of writing, and I like my own separated-letter handwriting. Here's a sample of my writing.

NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERD
All shall tremble before me

Salandriagado
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 03, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Salandriagado » Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:37 am

Right wing humour squad wrote:Ah is cursive a language or???

It's an extremely specific style of handwriting popular in America, that the US seems to have decided is the only possible alternative to print, for reasons that I don't even pretend to understand.
Cosara wrote:
Anachronous Rex wrote:Good thing most a majority of people aren't so small-minded, and frightened of other's sexuality.

Over 40% (including me), are, so I fixed the post for accuracy.

Vilatania wrote:
Salandriagado wrote:
Notice that the link is to the notes from a university course on probability. You clearly have nothing beyond the most absurdly simplistic understanding of the subject.
By choosing 1, you no longer have 0 probability of choosing 1. End of subject.

(read up the quote stack)

Deal. £3000 do?[/quote]

Of course.[/quote]

Stellar Colonies
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 27, 2017
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Stellar Colonies » Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:41 am

I was taught cursive in grade school, and I remember it as being frustrating but not too difficult to eventually learn, even if I didn't master it. Since then, I've barely used it at all except for signing my name now and again, and my abilities in that style of writing has decayed, to put it mildly.

As things are going currently, it seems that teaching it is becoming less worthwhile.
Floofybit wrote:Your desired society should be one where you are submissive and controlled
Primitive Communism wrote:What bodily autonomy do men need?
Techocracy101010 wrote:If she goes on a rampage those saggy wonders are as deadly as nunchucks
Parmistan wrote:It's not ALWAYS acceptable when we do it, but it's MORE acceptable when we do it.
Theodorable wrote:Jihad will win.
Distruzio wrote:All marriage outside the Church is gay marriage.
Khardsland wrote:Terrorism in its original definition is a good thing.
I try to be objective, but I do have some biases.

North Californian.
Stellar Colonies is a loose galactic confederacy.

The Confederacy & the WA.

Add 1200 years.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General