NATION

PASSWORD

[Abortion Thread] (YET ANOTHER POLL!) Taking measure.

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

What policies would you use to reduce abortion numbers?

Welfare Support for Single Mothers
383
17%
Free Pregnancy-Related Health Care
388
17%
Comprehensive Sex Education
468
21%
Free Contraception
390
17%
Monetary Incentives (Child Care, Tax Incentives, Kid-Related Healthcare, specify if needed)
301
13%
No Changes
37
2%
Procedure Ban (Not outlawing abortion itself, but specific procedures)
71
3%
Outright Ban (With exceptions or without)
219
10%
 
Total votes : 2257

User avatar
The Caleshan Valkyrie
Diplomat
 
Posts: 689
Founded: Oct 07, 2004
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Caleshan Valkyrie » Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:24 pm

Northern Davincia wrote:
The Caleshan Valkyrie wrote:
Insofar as the topic of this thread is concerned, I don’t particularly give a shit.

Maybe in some other thread we can all remonstrate about the misery of an unjust and unwarranted war, but here it remains a terrible appeal to emotion connected to a terrible argument.

Next time I hear of the plight of unwilling mothers, I shall remember it as an appeal to emotion.


So in other words, no discernible change to your existing position. Cool story-that-misses-the-point-entirely.
Last edited by The Caleshan Valkyrie on Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Godulan Puppet #2, RPing as technologically advanced tribal society combined between several groups of ancient arabs and mongols with vikings.

Current Intro RP: Gravity Ships and Garden Snips

User avatar
United Muscovite Nations
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 20762
Founded: Feb 01, 2017
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby United Muscovite Nations » Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:27 pm

The Caleshan Valkyrie wrote:
Northern Davincia wrote:I wonder how many Vietnam draftees took solace in the fact that they got paid, even in the face of terrible trauma, injuries, and death. The requirements for being a conscientious objector should not be necessary at all.


Insofar as the topic of this thread is concerned, I don’t particularly give a shit.

Maybe in some other thread we can all remonstrate about the misery of an unjust and unwarranted war, but here it remains a terrible appeal to emotion connected to a terrible argument.

It's not a terrible argument. If the government can take away your bodily sovereignty for one thing, why can't they for another?
Formerly United Marxist Nations, Dec 02, 2011- Feb 01, 2017. +33,837 posts Eastern Orthodox Christian. Christian Anarchist and Monarchist. Supporter of Pan-Arabism. 22-year old Doomer
Even the apologists of industrialism have been obliged to admit that some economic evils follow in the wake of the machines. These are such as overproduction, unemployment, and a growing inequality in the distribution of wealth. But the remedies proposed by the apologists are always homeopathic. They expect the evils to disappear when we have bigger and better machines, and more of them. Their remedial programs, therefore, look forward to more industrialism.
Pro and Anti: https://www.nationstates.net/nation=uni ... id=1166847

User avatar
Northern Davincia
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 12708
Founded: Jun 10, 2014
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Northern Davincia » Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:27 pm

The Caleshan Valkyrie wrote:
Northern Davincia wrote:Next time I hear of the plight of unwilling mothers, I shall remember it as an appeal to emotion.


So in other words, no discernible change to your existing position. Cool story-that-misses-the-point-entirely.

I suspect that no one comes here to change their position.
Right-Libertarian, Minarchist, Laissez-faire Capitalist, Catholic

Conserative Morality wrote:"Two gin-scented tears trickled down the sides of his nose. But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Big Hoppe."

User avatar
Katganistan
Senior Game Moderator
 
Posts: 31877
Founded: Antiquity
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Katganistan » Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:30 pm

Liriena wrote:Soooooo... one of the organizers of the most recent rally against the legalization of abortion pulled the "what if the child consents tho" card in a discussion about a little girl who got pregnant after her grandmother's partner raped her.

These people are a political dead weight.

Children can't consent.
Even asking the question makes me wonder if they should EVER be alone with a child.

User avatar
Jebslund
Minister
 
Posts: 2544
Founded: Sep 14, 2017
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Jebslund » Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:31 pm

The Caleshan Valkyrie wrote:
Jebslund wrote:And, should anyone be in need of those bennies, it's not a form of coercion to deny them unless they've signed the dotted line?


Not particularly. At least there’s a dotted line to begin with. Such is more than a woman gets with regards to this presumption of parental responsibility, or whatever such might be called.

Yes, particularly. To give someone a choice and then say, "But if you don't, we won't give you a job should you need one and no one else hires you, we won't help you out if you need money for school to get a job that will support you, we won't give you job training if you need it, we can and will deny you citizenship if you weren't born here, and, oh yeah, we'll slap you with a felony charge, up to five years in prison, and/or up to $250,000 in fines." is not giving someone an opportunity to volunteer. It's telling them, "Do it or else.". It's not a real choice.

Also not arguing that abortion should be banned. Just pointing out a factual error in your assertions.

EDIT: Maybe I shouldn't try combining "should be banned" and "shouldn't be legal" in one sentence... :blush:
Last edited by Jebslund on Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jebslund is a nation of kerbals ruled by Emperor Jebediah Kerman. We reject tyranny, believing that rights should be protected, though we also believe said rights end where the rights of others begin.
Shockingly, we *do* use NS stats, with the exception of lifespan.
Singular sapient: Jebslunder
Plural Sapient: Jebslunden
Singular/Plural nonsapient: Kermanic
Note: When a verb can logically only be done by the sapient using/piloting/holding the object in question, then the appropriate demonym for the number of sapients is used.

Capitalism, Socialism, and Communism are ECONOMIC SYSTEMS. Stop conflating them with political systems.

User avatar
Katganistan
Senior Game Moderator
 
Posts: 31877
Founded: Antiquity
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Katganistan » Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:32 pm

The Feylands wrote:---

Feylands, believe it or not, my post has NOTHING TO DO WITH YOU. Making it all about yourself personally is frankly annoying, off-topic, and desperate for attention.

User avatar
United Muscovite Nations
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 20762
Founded: Feb 01, 2017
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby United Muscovite Nations » Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:34 pm

Katganistan wrote:
The Feylands wrote:---

Feylands, believe it or not, my post has NOTHING TO DO WITH YOU. Making it all about yourself personally is frankly annoying, off-topic, and desperate for attention.

Yes it was, you emphasized that they were siding with "toxic men" and even capitalized and bolded the "YOU" to emphasize the accusation. It was both toxic and accusatory. Don't act like they're making up that you attacked them.
Formerly United Marxist Nations, Dec 02, 2011- Feb 01, 2017. +33,837 posts Eastern Orthodox Christian. Christian Anarchist and Monarchist. Supporter of Pan-Arabism. 22-year old Doomer
Even the apologists of industrialism have been obliged to admit that some economic evils follow in the wake of the machines. These are such as overproduction, unemployment, and a growing inequality in the distribution of wealth. But the remedies proposed by the apologists are always homeopathic. They expect the evils to disappear when we have bigger and better machines, and more of them. Their remedial programs, therefore, look forward to more industrialism.
Pro and Anti: https://www.nationstates.net/nation=uni ... id=1166847

User avatar
Katganistan
Senior Game Moderator
 
Posts: 31877
Founded: Antiquity
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Katganistan » Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:35 pm

The Forlorn Redoubt wrote:
Wallenburg wrote:Nope.

On the other hand, there clearly exist a whole lot of people who want to force victims of child rape to bear children and possibly die in the process.


Yeah, turns out some of us aren't into punishing children for the sins of their parents. Crazy.

/s

Actually, you are if you force children raped by their parents to bear children.

User avatar
The Caleshan Valkyrie
Diplomat
 
Posts: 689
Founded: Oct 07, 2004
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Caleshan Valkyrie » Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:36 pm

United Muscovite Nations wrote:
The Caleshan Valkyrie wrote:
Insofar as the topic of this thread is concerned, I don’t particularly give a shit.

Maybe in some other thread we can all remonstrate about the misery of an unjust and unwarranted war, but here it remains a terrible appeal to emotion connected to a terrible argument.

It's not a terrible argument. If the government can take away your bodily sovereignty for one thing, why can't they for another?


No, it remains a terrible argument. I mean, if you want to pay a pregnant woman and give her free medical care for the duration of her ‘tour’ you might have a better comparison (and a lot fewer people choosing to abort), but that hardly ever seems to enter into the equation now does it?
Godulan Puppet #2, RPing as technologically advanced tribal society combined between several groups of ancient arabs and mongols with vikings.

Current Intro RP: Gravity Ships and Garden Snips

User avatar
United Muscovite Nations
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 20762
Founded: Feb 01, 2017
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby United Muscovite Nations » Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:37 pm

The Caleshan Valkyrie wrote:
United Muscovite Nations wrote:It's not a terrible argument. If the government can take away your bodily sovereignty for one thing, why can't they for another?


No, it remains a terrible argument. I mean, if you want to pay a pregnant woman and give her free medical care for the duration of her ‘tour’ you might have a better comparison (and a lot fewer people choosing to abort), but that hardly ever seems to enter into the equation now does it?

We absolutely should give that kind of pay to all pregnant people, along with free medical care, who would be against that?
Formerly United Marxist Nations, Dec 02, 2011- Feb 01, 2017. +33,837 posts Eastern Orthodox Christian. Christian Anarchist and Monarchist. Supporter of Pan-Arabism. 22-year old Doomer
Even the apologists of industrialism have been obliged to admit that some economic evils follow in the wake of the machines. These are such as overproduction, unemployment, and a growing inequality in the distribution of wealth. But the remedies proposed by the apologists are always homeopathic. They expect the evils to disappear when we have bigger and better machines, and more of them. Their remedial programs, therefore, look forward to more industrialism.
Pro and Anti: https://www.nationstates.net/nation=uni ... id=1166847

User avatar
Katganistan
Senior Game Moderator
 
Posts: 31877
Founded: Antiquity
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Katganistan » Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:37 pm

Neutraligon wrote:
Northern Davincia wrote:1. You're using another mistranslation. It's not miscarriage, it's induced birth.
2. Fetuses breathe, just through unconventional means. Respiration is carried out by all animal life.
3. It still demonstrates the attitude that the unborn are recognized by God, even if that particular instance refers to the nation of Israel.
4. The death of the firstborn Egyptians was punishment for their murder of the Hebrew children. Besides, that which is made by God can be unmade all the same.


4. Yay for special pleading for god.

So God gets to tell people to murder infants and that's cool, but stopping a pregnancy long before it's anything near an infant is a horrid crime.

And no, it's not a mistranslation. It's just not the one YOU agree with, Northern Davincia.

User avatar
Katganistan
Senior Game Moderator
 
Posts: 31877
Founded: Antiquity
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Katganistan » Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:38 pm

The Forlorn Redoubt wrote:
Wallenburg wrote:In the case of children raped by their parents, I would have to disagree with that assertion. Those pro-life organizers very much want to punish children for the sins of their parents.


Murder is mercy, war is peace, slavery is freedom. I've heard it all before.

Apparently not, since you didn't even get the quote right.

User avatar
Katganistan
Senior Game Moderator
 
Posts: 31877
Founded: Antiquity
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Katganistan » Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:43 pm

United Muscovite Nations wrote:Most of those quotes are from the Old Testament, which aren't used by Christians for many reasons namely that the Jews didn't follow God's law and they were the ones writing the Bible, they include many things that brag about the things they did, and say God did them to justify them.


Then they are not Christian. It's part of the Bible for a reason, and even Christ said,
"Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them."

They don't follow God's law? Amazing. So the Ten Commandments were repealed.

User avatar
The Caleshan Valkyrie
Diplomat
 
Posts: 689
Founded: Oct 07, 2004
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Caleshan Valkyrie » Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:46 pm

Jebslund wrote:
The Caleshan Valkyrie wrote:
Not particularly. At least there’s a dotted line to begin with. Such is more than a woman gets with regards to this presumption of parental responsibility, or whatever such might be called.

Yes, particularly. To give someone a choice and then say, "But if you don't, we won't give you a job should you need one and no one else hires you, we won't help you out if you need money for school to get a job that will support you, we won't give you job training if you need it, we can and will deny you citizenship if you weren't born here, and, oh yeah, we'll slap you with a felony charge, up to five years in prison, and/or up to $250,000 in fines." is not giving someone an opportunity to volunteer. It's telling them, "Do it or else.". It's not a real choice.

Also not arguing that abortion should be banned. Just pointing out a factual error in your assertions.

EDIT: Maybe I shouldn't try combining "should be banned" and "shouldn't be legal" in one sentence... :blush:


I fundamentally disagree, though my primary argument in this case is that due process is observed.

I also consider this whole line about the draft and such to still be a strawman and a thread derail. Would be nice to cut it out.
Godulan Puppet #2, RPing as technologically advanced tribal society combined between several groups of ancient arabs and mongols with vikings.

Current Intro RP: Gravity Ships and Garden Snips

User avatar
LiberNovusAmericae
Negotiator
 
Posts: 5732
Founded: Mar 10, 2018
Left-Leaning College State

Postby LiberNovusAmericae » Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:46 pm

Northern Davincia wrote:
Katganistan wrote:
When will people then stop bitching about welfare dynasties where generations live off the taxpayer?

It's a step in the direction of MORE taxes and MORE government.

That's a horrible idea.

Well if abortion is banned, it definitely would result in a larger burden on the welfare state, and for calls to expand the thing.
Nova Cyberia wrote:Thank you. I appreciate your respect for my low opinion of you.
Call me Liber for short.
Not to be confused with Novus America. We are different people with very different political opinions.

User avatar
United Muscovite Nations
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 20762
Founded: Feb 01, 2017
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby United Muscovite Nations » Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:46 pm

Katganistan wrote:
United Muscovite Nations wrote:Most of those quotes are from the Old Testament, which aren't used by Christians for many reasons namely that the Jews didn't follow God's law and they were the ones writing the Bible, they include many things that brag about the things they did, and say God did them to justify them.


Then they are not Christian. It's part of the Bible for a reason, and even Christ said,
"Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them."

They don't follow God's law? Amazing. So the Ten Commandments were repealed.

That's not really what that means, what is meant by that quote is that the Law's purpose was fulfilled, and as a result we can return to the only two commandments that actually matter: Loving God, and Loving each other.

So yes, in a way, the Ten Commandments were repealed, in that Christ revealed they only existed the serve the Two Great Commandments.
Formerly United Marxist Nations, Dec 02, 2011- Feb 01, 2017. +33,837 posts Eastern Orthodox Christian. Christian Anarchist and Monarchist. Supporter of Pan-Arabism. 22-year old Doomer
Even the apologists of industrialism have been obliged to admit that some economic evils follow in the wake of the machines. These are such as overproduction, unemployment, and a growing inequality in the distribution of wealth. But the remedies proposed by the apologists are always homeopathic. They expect the evils to disappear when we have bigger and better machines, and more of them. Their remedial programs, therefore, look forward to more industrialism.
Pro and Anti: https://www.nationstates.net/nation=uni ... id=1166847

User avatar
The Srovsk State
Attaché
 
Posts: 82
Founded: Jan 31, 2019
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby The Srovsk State » Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:47 pm

I am pro-life because well just because the baby is not outside of the womb does not mean that he/she has no right to live. Although I am not the one who likes to stick my dogma on the faces of people who disagree with me so pro-choice people can remain pro-choice if they want.
Last edited by The Srovsk State on Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
СОЦИАЛИСТИЧЕСКАЯ РЕСПУБЛИКА
СРОВСК
THE SOCIALIST REPUBLICS OF THE SROVSK STATE

We don't like NS stats

User avatar
The Caleshan Valkyrie
Diplomat
 
Posts: 689
Founded: Oct 07, 2004
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Caleshan Valkyrie » Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:50 pm

United Muscovite Nations wrote:
The Caleshan Valkyrie wrote:
No, it remains a terrible argument. I mean, if you want to pay a pregnant woman and give her free medical care for the duration of her ‘tour’ you might have a better comparison (and a lot fewer people choosing to abort), but that hardly ever seems to enter into the equation now does it?

We absolutely should give that kind of pay to all pregnant people, along with free medical care, who would be against that?


Do that then. Free contraceptives too! Pretty sure you’d reduce abortions to durn near to nothing, at which point a ban would be more trouble than it’s worth. Wouldn’t it be great to see your wishes done WITHOUT stepping on anyone’s rights?

Might even address that ‘need moar families!’ concern some folks lament about.

I’m not even being sarcastic here. I’m pro-choice, but I’m still in favor of ways to reduce abortions so long as there isn’t a ban involved... or any freaky legal wrangling.
Last edited by The Caleshan Valkyrie on Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Godulan Puppet #2, RPing as technologically advanced tribal society combined between several groups of ancient arabs and mongols with vikings.

Current Intro RP: Gravity Ships and Garden Snips

User avatar
United Muscovite Nations
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 20762
Founded: Feb 01, 2017
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby United Muscovite Nations » Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:51 pm

The Caleshan Valkyrie wrote:
United Muscovite Nations wrote:We absolutely should give that kind of pay to all pregnant people, along with free medical care, who would be against that?


Do that then. Free contraceptives too! Pretty sure you’d reduce abortions to durn near to nothing, at which point a ban would be more trouble than it’s worth. Wouldn’t it be great to see your wishes done WITHOUT stepping on anyone’s rights?

Might even address that ‘need moar families!’ concern some folks lament about.

I think we should do both. Just because we can prevent abortions best through financial incentives doesn't mean we should allow abortion imo.
Formerly United Marxist Nations, Dec 02, 2011- Feb 01, 2017. +33,837 posts Eastern Orthodox Christian. Christian Anarchist and Monarchist. Supporter of Pan-Arabism. 22-year old Doomer
Even the apologists of industrialism have been obliged to admit that some economic evils follow in the wake of the machines. These are such as overproduction, unemployment, and a growing inequality in the distribution of wealth. But the remedies proposed by the apologists are always homeopathic. They expect the evils to disappear when we have bigger and better machines, and more of them. Their remedial programs, therefore, look forward to more industrialism.
Pro and Anti: https://www.nationstates.net/nation=uni ... id=1166847

User avatar
Jebslund
Minister
 
Posts: 2544
Founded: Sep 14, 2017
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Jebslund » Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:00 pm

The Caleshan Valkyrie wrote:
Jebslund wrote:Yes, particularly. To give someone a choice and then say, "But if you don't, we won't give you a job should you need one and no one else hires you, we won't help you out if you need money for school to get a job that will support you, we won't give you job training if you need it, we can and will deny you citizenship if you weren't born here, and, oh yeah, we'll slap you with a felony charge, up to five years in prison, and/or up to $250,000 in fines." is not giving someone an opportunity to volunteer. It's telling them, "Do it or else.". It's not a real choice.

Also not arguing that abortion should be banned. Just pointing out a factual error in your assertions.

EDIT: Maybe I shouldn't try combining "should be banned" and "shouldn't be legal" in one sentence... :blush:


I fundamentally disagree, though my primary argument in this case is that due process is observed.

I also consider this whole line about the draft and such to still be a strawman and a thread derail. Would be nice to cut it out.

Due process is not a get out of consent free card any more than going through due process to force a woman to carry to term, with steep fines and prison time if she doesn't, but giving a dotted line to sign, would be a get out of consent free card for forcing her to carry to term. That's the whole point of arguing that abortion should not be banned.

I disagree. There are parallels, such as the false choice given in the GA law of six weeks, in that both are due process very much intended to present a situation as optional that is de-facto compulsory (the felony offense alone makes the draft compulsory. The idea that it is not is as absurd as saying murder is a valid option despite there being laws against it and criminal punishments for it.), that make it both a valid argument and relevant to the thread at large. That said, it's not an excuse to ban abortion (in fact, it's very much an argument for decriminalisation of refusing to be voluntold for the draft.). I find it very condescending that you seem hellbent on seeing it as optional when There are CRIMINAL fucking PENALTIES for refusing to do so. I see it the same as you would if I said that abortions aren't banned in Georgia because of that six-week period.
Last edited by Jebslund on Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jebslund is a nation of kerbals ruled by Emperor Jebediah Kerman. We reject tyranny, believing that rights should be protected, though we also believe said rights end where the rights of others begin.
Shockingly, we *do* use NS stats, with the exception of lifespan.
Singular sapient: Jebslunder
Plural Sapient: Jebslunden
Singular/Plural nonsapient: Kermanic
Note: When a verb can logically only be done by the sapient using/piloting/holding the object in question, then the appropriate demonym for the number of sapients is used.

Capitalism, Socialism, and Communism are ECONOMIC SYSTEMS. Stop conflating them with political systems.

User avatar
The Caleshan Valkyrie
Diplomat
 
Posts: 689
Founded: Oct 07, 2004
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Caleshan Valkyrie » Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:03 pm

United Muscovite Nations wrote:
The Caleshan Valkyrie wrote:
Do that then. Free contraceptives too! Pretty sure you’d reduce abortions to durn near to nothing, at which point a ban would be more trouble than it’s worth. Wouldn’t it be great to see your wishes done WITHOUT stepping on anyone’s rights?

Might even address that ‘need moar families!’ concern some folks lament about.

I think we should do both. Just because we can prevent abortions best through financial incentives doesn't mean we should allow abortion imo.


See, that’s where the failure arises. You do not know the woman’s situation, and for all intents and purposes you cannot know. You might have eliminated the reason for a great deal of women to find abortion services necessary, but such policies do not cover everything. There will always be a need for such services so long as a woman gets pregnant and does not wish to be. Discounting her reasons is both unjust and insensitive to how serious the situation is to the woman.

Better to reduce the need than to ban outright.
Godulan Puppet #2, RPing as technologically advanced tribal society combined between several groups of ancient arabs and mongols with vikings.

Current Intro RP: Gravity Ships and Garden Snips

User avatar
Ifreann
Post Overlord
 
Posts: 133338
Founded: Aug 07, 2005
Democratic Socialists

Postby Ifreann » Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:05 pm

Liriena wrote:
Ifreann wrote:There is no gif from lefttube, breadtube, or any YouTuber whomst is good for this Y I K E S.

The worst/best part about the aftermath of the failed attempt to legalize abortion last year has been watching the "save both lives" campaign proceed to show how much of their previous rhetoric was merely face-saving concern trolling.

Sex education in schools to prevent unwanted pregnancies? They allegedly loved the idea while they were debating the legalization of abortion... but now that there's an actual push to implement comprehensive sex education in schools, the Venn diagram between the "save both lives" campaign and the "not with my kids" campaign against comprehensive sex ed appears to be a perfect circle.

Exceptions in the cases of rape or serious health risks to the mother? In the past few months the leaders of their movement have repeatedly meddled in cases of pregnant child molestation survivors and, with the complicity of provincial governments, forced those same child molestation survivors to give birth despite the serious risk to both the girls and the fetus. Oh, and one of them got that horrid "child mothers with capital letters" op-ed where they cheered for the little girls who didn't abort the fetuses growing in their, and I quote, "almost infantile uteruses".

It sounds like a wonderful time for all involved.
Mistake Not My Current State Of Joshing Gentle Banter For The Awesome And Terrible Majesty Of The Towering Seas Of Snark That Are Themselves The Mere Milquetoast Shallows Fringing My Vast Oceans Of Sarcasm
He/Him

Dangerous this Jack o' Hearts.
With his kiss
the riot
starts

User avatar
Jebslund
Minister
 
Posts: 2544
Founded: Sep 14, 2017
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Jebslund » Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:08 pm

The Caleshan Valkyrie wrote:
United Muscovite Nations wrote:I think we should do both. Just because we can prevent abortions best through financial incentives doesn't mean we should allow abortion imo.


See, that’s where the failure arises. You do not know the woman’s situation, and for all intents and purposes you cannot know. You might have eliminated the reason for a great deal of women to find abortion services necessary, but such policies do not cover everything. There will always be a need for such services so long as a woman gets pregnant and does not wish to be. Discounting her reasons is both unjust and insensitive to how serious the situation is to the woman.

Better to reduce the need than to ban outright.

Very much this. This is at the core of most pro-choice viewpoints: Abortion on demand is argued for not because we are sadistic baby-killers thirsty for blood, but because no plan survives enemy contact and leaving abortion legal while taking preventative steps is the best way to encourage fewer abortions while still having the option available in those situations the reduction methods don't or can't account for. I for one would rather it not be necessary, but, so long as the world is not perfect, I feel it is better to leave the option open and acknowledge that we cannot plan for everything than to pretend to be perfect and have the fecal matter hit the rotary air circulation device later.
Jebslund is a nation of kerbals ruled by Emperor Jebediah Kerman. We reject tyranny, believing that rights should be protected, though we also believe said rights end where the rights of others begin.
Shockingly, we *do* use NS stats, with the exception of lifespan.
Singular sapient: Jebslunder
Plural Sapient: Jebslunden
Singular/Plural nonsapient: Kermanic
Note: When a verb can logically only be done by the sapient using/piloting/holding the object in question, then the appropriate demonym for the number of sapients is used.

Capitalism, Socialism, and Communism are ECONOMIC SYSTEMS. Stop conflating them with political systems.

User avatar
The Caleshan Valkyrie
Diplomat
 
Posts: 689
Founded: Oct 07, 2004
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Caleshan Valkyrie » Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:17 pm

Jebslund wrote:
The Caleshan Valkyrie wrote:
I fundamentally disagree, though my primary argument in this case is that due process is observed.

I also consider this whole line about the draft and such to still be a strawman and a thread derail. Would be nice to cut it out.

Due process is not a get out of consent free card any more than going through due process to force a woman to carry to term, with steep fines and prison time if she doesn't, but giving a dotted line to sign, would be a get out of consent free card for forcing her to carry to term. That's the whole point of arguing that abortion should not be banned.

I disagree. There are parallels, such as the false choice given in the GA law of six weeks, in that both are due process very much intended to present a situation as optional that is de-facto compulsory (the felony offense alone makes the draft compulsory. The idea that it is not is as absurd as saying murder is a valid option despite there being laws against it and criminal punishments for it.), that make it both a valid argument and relevant to the thread at large. That said, it's not an excuse to ban abortion (in fact, it's very much an argument for decriminalisation of refusing to be voluntold for the draft.). I find it very condescending that you seem hellbent on seeing it as optional when There are CRIMINAL fucking PENALTIES for refusing to do so. I see it the same as you would if I said that abortions aren't banned in Georgia because of that six-week period.


Again, I fundamentally disagree. I’ve gone over this and taxation before, and I continue to consider both as things for which people do receive benefits of various sorts and as such cannot be considered a parallel with denying a woman the right to control her own body.

Frankly, whether it counts as optional or not strikes me as a tangent best addressed elsewhere.

(also, I’m not IN FAVOR of selective service... I’d be quite pleased were it done away with entirely)
Last edited by The Caleshan Valkyrie on Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Godulan Puppet #2, RPing as technologically advanced tribal society combined between several groups of ancient arabs and mongols with vikings.

Current Intro RP: Gravity Ships and Garden Snips

User avatar
Northern Davincia
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 12708
Founded: Jun 10, 2014
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Northern Davincia » Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:28 pm

Katganistan wrote:
Neutraligon wrote:
4. Yay for special pleading for god.

So God gets to tell people to murder infants and that's cool, but stopping a pregnancy long before it's anything near an infant is a horrid crime.

And no, it's not a mistranslation. It's just not the one YOU agree with, Northern Davincia.

God hasn't told anyone to murder infants, and I remain certain that you're working with a faulty translation. Get a better one.
Lumi already addressed your total misinterpretation of scripture.
LiberNovusAmericae wrote:
Northern Davincia wrote:That's a horrible idea.

Well if abortion is banned, it definitely would result in a larger burden on the welfare state, and for calls to expand the thing.

A negative income tax resolves the issue entirely. Besides, it would embolden the police state if anything.
Last edited by Northern Davincia on Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Right-Libertarian, Minarchist, Laissez-faire Capitalist, Catholic

Conserative Morality wrote:"Two gin-scented tears trickled down the sides of his nose. But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Big Hoppe."

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Dooom35796821595, Dumb Ideologies, Evil Dictators Happyland, Fartsniffage, Goldenboy, Google [Bot], Ifreann, Kiruri, Lillorainen, Miami Shores, New Bremerton, Ostroeuropa, Page, Qebui, Samudera Darussalam, Satuga, SD_Film Artists, The Blaatschapen, The Chuck, The tanks of herp, Totenborg, Vassenor, Warvick, Window Land, Xuloqoia

Advertisement

Remove ads