NATION

PASSWORD

[Abortion Thread] (YET ANOTHER POLL!) Taking measure.

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

What policies would you use to reduce abortion numbers?

Welfare Support for Single Mothers
17%
Free Pregnancy-Related Health Care
17%
Comprehensive Sex Education
21%
Free Contraception
17%
Monetary Incentives (Child Care, Tax Incentives, Kid-Related Healthcare, specify if needed)
13%
No Changes
2%
Procedure Ban (Not outlawing abortion itself, but specific procedures)
3%
Outright Ban (With exceptions or without)
10%

Total votes : 2870

The Caleshan Valkyrie
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 07, 2004
New York Times Democracy

Postby The Caleshan Valkyrie » Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:10 pm

Telconi wrote:
The Caleshan Valkyrie wrote:
Empathy.

You do realize there are pro-life women right?

Irrelevant to the point.
Godulan Puppet #2, RPing as technologically advanced tribal society founded by mongols and vikings (and later with multiple other Asian and Native American cultures) motivated by an intrinsic devotion to the spirit of competition. They'll walk softly, talk softly, and make soothing noises as they stab you in the back and take your stuff... unless you're another Caleshan, whereupon they'll only stab you in the back figuratively!

Used NS stats: Population. That’s it. Anything else not stated in the factbooks is not used.

Intro RP: Gravity Ships and Garden Snips (involved tribes: Plainsrider, Hawkeye, Wavecrasher)
Current RP: A Rock Out of Place (involved tribes: Night Wolf, Deep Kraken, Starwalker)

Telconi
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 08, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Telconi » Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:10 pm

Genivaria wrote:
Telconi wrote:
Who said that? I didn't.

That's my point.

So your point is that a position I don't hold I apparently hold?
-2.25 LEFT
-3.23 LIBERTARIAN

PRO:
-Weapons Rights
-Gender Equality
-LGBTQ Rights
-Racial Equality
-Religious Freedom
-Freedom of Speech
-Freedom of Association
-Life
-Limited Government
-Non Interventionism
-Labor Unions
-Environmental Protections
ANTI:
-Racism
-Sexism
-Bigotry In All Forms
-Government Overreach
-Government Surveillance
-Freedom For Security Social Transactions
-Unnecessary Taxes
-Excessively Specific Government Programs
-Foreign Entanglements
-Religious Extremism
-Fascists Masquerading as "Social Justice Warriors"

"The Constitution is NOT an instrument for the government to restrain the people,it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government-- lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." ~ Patrick Henry

Telconi
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Telconi » Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:11 pm

Telconi wrote:
You do realize there are pro-life women right?

Irrelevant to the point.

If the point is that pro-life people must experience pregnancy to feel empathy, the presence of pro-life women, many of whom have experienced pregnancy is pretty relevant.
-2.25 LEFT
-3.23 LIBERTARIAN

PRO:
-Weapons Rights
-Gender Equality
-LGBTQ Rights
-Racial Equality
-Religious Freedom
-Freedom of Speech
-Freedom of Association
-Life
-Limited Government
-Non Interventionism
-Labor Unions
ANTI:
-Racism
-Sexism
-Bigotry In All Forms
-Government Overreach
-Government Surveillance
-Unnecessary Taxes
-Foreign Entanglements
-Religious Extremism

"The Constitution is NOT an instrument for the government to restrain the people,it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government-- lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." ~ Patrick Henry

Indo-Malaysia
Minister

Founded: Nov 07, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Indo-Malaysia » Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:12 pm

Indo-Malaysia wrote:So because I made a harmless joke on what I typically think of when I see the words 'self defence', I am a misogynist?

Funny story.

Because in your own ignorance and decided lack of empathy, you made what you think to be a ‘harmless joke’ but is very much an indicator of how much you do not care for what the woman thinks on the matter.

ANY unwanted contact is a harm. It need not be a punch or a kick. It can be a simple as putting your hand on her shoulder when she does not want that contact. Granted in that situation she can just brush your hand away and say ‘don’t touch me’, but what of rape? We’ve stated that in functional terms rape and an unwanted pregnancy are equivalent, in that the woman’s body is being used without her consent.

And you ‘chuckle’.

Yes. Funny story.

It wasn't the subject matter, just the way it was worded. Chill your beans and stop making a mountain ou of a molehill.
Tsar of the Order of the Southern North.
The Midnight Order guy

Winner of the Best Delegate of Warzone Africa award

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 29, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:12 pm

Telconi wrote:
Genivaria wrote:That's my point.

My point is that you find the actual pregnancy of the women in question not worthy of mentioning, because you failed. to. mention. it.
Right after Kat's comment about men having to carry the fetus.

Katganistan
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Katganistan » Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:13 pm

Vassenor wrote:
Geneviev wrote:Overturning Roe wouldn't be a bad thing but there should be a better way to do that.

Why? What possible advantage is there to wresting control of a woman's body from her?

They don't even understand the implications of overturning Roe v. Wade.

The decision was basically, "It's no one's business what medical decisions a person and their doctor make."

Let's open that Pandora's box, and deny all SORTS of things -- let's deny erectile dysfunction treatments on the basis that erections are not necessary and the lack of them won't kill you.

Why should I have to pay for people's penes on MY health insurance plan? I don't have one!

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:13 pm

Telconi wrote:
Irrelevant to the point.

If the point is that pro-life people must experience pregnancy to feel empathy, the presence of pro-life women, many of whom have experienced pregnancy is pretty relevant.

The point being that MEN have never experienced pregnancy and 9 times out of 10 don't have a clue what they're talking about on the subject.
Nice try building another strawman though.

The Caleshan Valkyrie
Ambassador

New York Times Democracy

Postby The Caleshan Valkyrie » Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:14 pm

Telconi wrote:
Genivaria wrote:That's my point.

No, their point was that you just ignored all the hardships that come with a pregnancy in your adoption comment, as if ‘adoption’ magically sweeps such concerns away.

I particularly enjoy the fact that ‘it isn’t worth mentioning’ was responded to with ‘I didn’t say that!’

Very apropos.
Godulan Puppet #2, RPing as technologically advanced tribal society founded by mongols and vikings (and later with multiple other Asian and Native American cultures) motivated by an intrinsic devotion to the spirit of competition. They'll walk softly, talk softly, and make soothing noises as they stab you in the back and take your stuff... unless you're another Caleshan, whereupon they'll only stab you in the back figuratively!

Used NS stats: Population. That’s it. Anything else not stated in the factbooks is not used.

Intro RP: Gravity Ships and Garden Snips (involved tribes: Plainsrider, Hawkeye, Wavecrasher)
Current RP: A Rock Out of Place (involved tribes: Night Wolf, Deep Kraken, Starwalker)

Telconi
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Telconi » Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:15 pm

Katganistan wrote:
Vassenor wrote:
Why? What possible advantage is there to wresting control of a woman's body from her?

The decision was basically, "It's no one's business what medical decisions a person and their doctor make."

Let's open that Pandora's box, and deny all SORTS of things -- let's deny erectile dysfunction treatments on the basis that erections are not necessary and the lack of them won't kill you.

Why should I have to pay for people's penes on MY health insurance plan? I don't have one!

Are you intentionally supporting this or ... ?
-2.25 LEFT
-3.23 LIBERTARIAN

PRO:
-Weapons Rights
-Gender Equality
-LGBTQ Rights
-Racial Equality
-Religious Freedom
-Freedom of Speech
-Freedom of Association
-Life
-Limited Government
-Non Interventionism
-Labor Unions
ANTI:
-Racism
-Sexism
-Bigotry In All Forms
-Government Overreach
-Government Surveillance
-Unnecessary Taxes
-Foreign Entanglements
-Religious Extremism

Katganistan
Senior Game Moderator

Postby Katganistan » Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:16 pm

Geneviev wrote:
Petrolheadia wrote:What if I don't believe in God?

Even if he exists, the sort of guy who builds an universe in six days would be intelligent enough not to think a lump of cells is a human.

If you don't believe in God it doesn't really matter. But the Bible does say that God creates each fetus as a person.

Where, exactly?

The Caleshan Valkyrie
Ambassador

New York Times Democracy

Postby The Caleshan Valkyrie » Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:17 pm

Indo-Malaysia wrote:
Because in your own ignorance and decided lack of empathy, you made what you think to be a ‘harmless joke’ but is very much an indicator of how much you do not care for what the woman thinks on the matter.

ANY unwanted contact is a harm. It need not be a punch or a kick. It can be a simple as putting your hand on her shoulder when she does not want that contact. Granted in that situation she can just brush your hand away and say ‘don’t touch me’, but what of rape? We’ve stated that in functional terms rape and an unwanted pregnancy are equivalent, in that the woman’s body is being used without her consent.

And you ‘chuckle’.

Yes. Funny story.

It wasn't the subject matter, just the way it was worded. Chill your beans and stop making a mountain ou of a molehill.

Or you could maybe develop some empathy on the matter. I suggest making room in your self-righteous indignation.

A woman’s body being violated is no laughing matter. It is not for the woman, and it should not be for you.

New haven america
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 08, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby New haven america » Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:17 pm

Telconi wrote:
Genivaria wrote:^this post is why.
Because apparently the 9 months where the woman's body is drastically altered, her immune system is weakened, and could possibly fucking die just isn't worthy of mentioning.

Who said that? I didn't.

Then why did you never mention it? :)

Also a list of health problem caused by pregnancy: Weight gain, mood swings, hormonal issues, nausea, soreness and swelling in the joints and breasts, and an overall decreased quality of life. After pregnancy you have: Lack of bladder control, postpartum depression, blood pressure problems, gestational diabetes, bone density issues, cancer, etc...
Human of the male variety
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2024

That's all folks~

Telconi
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Telconi » Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:17 pm

Telconi wrote:

No, their point was that you just ignored all the hardships that come with a pregnancy in your adoption comment, as if ‘adoption’ magically sweeps such concerns away.

I particularly enjoy the fact that ‘it isn’t worth mentioning’ was responded to with ‘I didn’t say that!’

Very apropos.

It's not ignoring a hardship to point out that the hardship isn't worth killing over.
-2.25 LEFT
-3.23 LIBERTARIAN

PRO:
-Weapons Rights
-Gender Equality
-LGBTQ Rights
-Racial Equality
-Religious Freedom
-Freedom of Speech
-Freedom of Association
-Life
-Limited Government
-Non Interventionism
-Labor Unions
ANTI:
-Racism
-Sexism
-Bigotry In All Forms
-Government Overreach
-Government Surveillance
-Unnecessary Taxes
-Foreign Entanglements
-Religious Extremism

Katganistan
Senior Game Moderator

Postby Katganistan » Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:18 pm

The South Falls wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:Where? Where does the Bible say that God gives a fetus personhood?

They didn't have abortion, at least not in our capacity.

They absolutely, positively did.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/ethics/abortion/le ... ry_1.shtml

Here, I'll cut to the chase:

Abortion in ancient history
Ancient Greece and Rome
1st-century Roman couple depicted in a wall painting, the woman holding a stylus and the man a scroll Roman couple; 1st-century fresco from Pompeii ©

Abortion was accepted in both ancient Rome and Greece.

The Romans and Greeks weren't much concerned with protecting the unborn, and when they did object to abortion it was often because the father didn't want to be deprived of a child that he felt entitled to.

The early philosophers also argued that a foetus did not become formed and begin to live until at least 40 days after conception for a male, and around 80 days for a female.

If you're going to state something, please know what you're talking about.
Last edited by Katganistan on Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Caleshan Valkyrie
Ambassador

New York Times Democracy

Postby The Caleshan Valkyrie » Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:19 pm

Telconi wrote:
Irrelevant to the point.

If the point is that pro-life people must experience pregnancy to feel empathy...

Which it wasn’t. Gratz on reading comp.

It was on whether MEN experiencing pregnancy in all its gory glory would change their tune on the matter.

The Caleshan Valkyrie
Ambassador

New York Times Democracy

Postby The Caleshan Valkyrie » Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:21 pm

Telconi wrote:

Very apropos.

It's not ignoring a hardship to point out that the hardship isn't worth killing over.

‘Trespassers will be shot’

Hrythingia
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 08, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Hrythingia » Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:21 pm

Abortion is only permissible if the mother's life can be expected to be lost with the delivery. Anything else is murder.
The Wielderdom of Hrythingia
Þæs Ƿealdaríċe Hrýðinglondes

State type: Semi-Elective Monarchy
Leader: Earl Wynmar II of The Ashwold, Hrythwealda
Capital: Ernburh
Language: Hrystic (Old English)
Religion: Catholicism
Characteristics: Isolationist, mercantile, conservative, rural, deeply religious
Industries: sheep/beef agriculture, fishing, offshore oil, financial services
Britonnis nati, Anglis Dei Gratia! A Catholic Conservative Briton, Late Antiquities Student and Reservist Officer in training. Interests: hunting, rugby, choral music, history, literature, linguistics and alcohol.

Ar i Dduw, er mwyn fy Ngheidwad, Roddi i mi galon lân.

Se Þræd Eald Englisċes

Napkiraly
Post Czar

Founded: Aug 02, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Napkiraly » Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:22 pm

Katganistan wrote:
Vassenor wrote:

Imagine making an argument this weak.

Indo-Malaysia
Minister

Founded: Nov 07, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Indo-Malaysia » Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:22 pm

Indo-Malaysia wrote:It wasn't the subject matter, just the way it was worded. Chill your beans and stop making a mountain ou of a molehill.

Or you could maybe develop some empathy on the matter. I suggest making room in your self-righteous indignation.

A woman’s body being violated is no laughing matter. It is not for the woman, and it should not be for you.

It's not my fault instead of wording it as something like '??? can abort because of ??? reasons', you written it like '??? can get rid of the baby out of self-defence'. It just sounds really exaggerated when you read it. It implies the baby is going out of its way to attack its host, which shouldnt be the case.
The women's body wasn't even mentioned. The whole post was about the way it was worded :lol2:

Stop trying to pick a fight. :)
Tsar of the Order of the Southern North.
The Midnight Order guy

Winner of the Best Delegate of Warzone Africa award

Katganistan
Senior Game Moderator

Postby Katganistan » Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:23 pm

Indo-Malaysia wrote:
The fetus’ presence (if not consented to) inherently presents a violation of the woman’s bodily integrity. She is and should be afforded the right to remedy that issue with immediacy and effect, and using whatever means are necessary.

So because you do not want the baby, it is okay to kill it at any given time, yes?

Clearly not. Go read the rest of the thread rather than make the same lame arguments others have made. Go, before you make some crack about drowning a kid after birth (which by the way is murder: infanticide.)

The Caleshan Valkyrie
Ambassador

New York Times Democracy

Postby The Caleshan Valkyrie » Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:23 pm

Hrythingia wrote:Abortion is only permissible if the mother's life can be expected to be lost with the delivery. Anything else is murder.

Only the delivery, huh?

Ectopic pregnancies be damned! she’ll just have to wait!

New haven america
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 08, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby New haven america » Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:23 pm

Indo-Malaysia wrote:
The fetus’ presence (if not consented to) inherently presents a violation of the woman’s bodily integrity. She is and should be afforded the right to remedy that issue with immediacy and effect, and using whatever means are necessary.

So because you do not want the baby, it is okay to kill it at any given time, yes?

Someone hasn't been keeping up with the thread...
Human of the male variety
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2024

That's all folks~

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:24 pm

Telconi wrote:
If the point is that pro-life people must experience pregnancy to feel empathy...

Which it wasn’t. Gratz on reading comp.

It was on whether MEN experiencing pregnancy in all its gory glory would change their tune on the matter.

I do STRONGLY believe that SOME men should have strong input on the matter of abortions and pregnancies.
That is to say male doctors, specifically male doctors working with pregnant women along with her input, and that's all the people who should be involved in the decision, the woman in question (because it's her body, her future baby, and her health), and the doctors who are the relevant experts.
Politicians, priests, and others who have no relevance at all to the situation can kindly fuck off.

Telconi
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Telconi » Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:24 pm

Telconi wrote:

‘Trespassers will be shot’

I must have missed how that's an argument...
-2.25 LEFT
-3.23 LIBERTARIAN

PRO:
-Weapons Rights
-Gender Equality
-LGBTQ Rights
-Racial Equality
-Religious Freedom
-Freedom of Speech
-Freedom of Association
-Life
-Limited Government
-Non Interventionism
-Labor Unions
ANTI:
-Racism
-Sexism
-Bigotry In All Forms
-Government Overreach
-Government Surveillance
-Unnecessary Taxes
-Foreign Entanglements
-Religious Extremism

Katganistan
Senior Game Moderator

Postby Katganistan » Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:25 pm

Indo-Malaysia wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:*Fetus. And nope, we won't be baited that easily; there are clear and justified limits on late-term abortions.

And what differentiates a more developed baby than a less developed baby? Why should one deserve no protection, and the other is granted such?

"Born"
"Not Born"

One of these things is not like the other, one of these things doesn't belong.... Can you tell which thing is not like the others by the time I finish my song?

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General