NATION

PASSWORD

[Abortion Thread] (YET ANOTHER POLL!) Taking measure.

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

What policies would you use to reduce abortion numbers?

Welfare Support for Single Mothers
17%
Free Pregnancy-Related Health Care
17%
Comprehensive Sex Education
21%
Free Contraception
17%
Monetary Incentives (Child Care, Tax Incentives, Kid-Related Healthcare, specify if needed)
13%
No Changes
2%
Procedure Ban (Not outlawing abortion itself, but specific procedures)
3%
Outright Ban (With exceptions or without)
10%

Total votes : 2870

The New California Republic
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:00 pm

Oxes Republic wrote:What defines the human person then.

They have to be born for a start:

In determining the meaning of any Act of Congress, or of any ruling, regulation, or interpretation of the various administrative bureaus and agencies of the United States, the words “person”, “human being”, “child”, and “individual”, shall include every infant member of the species homo sapiens who is born alive at any stage of development.
https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/1/8
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

White-collared conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me
They're hoping soon, my kind will drop and die
But I'm going to wave my freak flag high
Wave on, wave on
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Oxes Republic
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 08, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Oxes Republic » Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:01 pm

Again did you ignore my argument that life begins at conception or...
2023-2024 Buffalo Bills Season Failed

Oxes Republic
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Oxes Republic » Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:01 pm

The purpose of this is debate and the definition of a human person is so critical to this it should be up to debate

Bezkoshtovnya
Senator

Founded: Sep 06, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Bezkoshtovnya » Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:01 pm

Oxes Republic wrote:Again did you ignore my argument that life begins at conception or...

Which is a bullahit argument anyway, so.
Dante Alighieri wrote:There is no greater sorrow than to recall happiness in times of misery
Charlie Chaplin wrote:Nothing is permanent in this wicked world, not even our troubles.
ΦΣK
------------------

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:01 pm

Oxes Republic wrote:Again did you ignore my argument that life begins at conception or...

You asked what defines a person. I offered you an answer. Take it or leave it.
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

Wave on, wave on

Oxes Republic
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Oxes Republic » Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:02 pm

Bezkoshtovnya wrote:

Which is a bullahit argument anyway, so.

Well you view it that way when a significant percentage(not the majority) of others view it as the truth

Katganistan
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Katganistan » Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:02 pm

Oxes Republic wrote:I dare you to think about it this way.

Pretend it’s a mother and a five year old disabled child. Her child provides the same medical and financial strain pregnancy would, treatments cost more than pregnancy, and is forcing her out of her career. Does this mother have the right to kill this strain on her life since it is living in her house and sucking away at her life? Does she have the right to murder this child that’s disabled? Does she have the power to kill this human being who’s sucking a Away at her life like a tumor?

I dare you to not compare apples to horse dung.

A five year old is not inside her uterus, does not endanger her health or her life, does not cause changes in her body, does not use her circulatory and urinary tract, does not leech minerals from her bones nor nutrients from her blood.
Last edited by Katganistan on Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Oxes Republic
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Oxes Republic » Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:04 pm

The New California Republic wrote:

You asked what defines a person. I offered you an answer. Take it or leave it.

The point of this is to argue abortion and its morality and recognizing legal flaws is a main party of many arguments, so I believe that that is a legal flaw and it should be up to debate on when life begins if we are arguing the topic as purely as possible and not by political borders set by a superior state that has definite bias

Oxes Republic
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Oxes Republic » Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:05 pm

Katganistan wrote:
Oxes Republic wrote:I dare you to think about it this way.

Pretend it’s a mother and a five year old disabled child. Her child provides the same medical and financial strain pregnancy would, treatments cost more than pregnancy, and is forcing her out of her career. Does this mother have the right to kill this strain on her life since it is living in her house and sucking away at her life? Does she have the right to murder this child that’s disabled? Does she have the power to kill this human being who’s sucking a Away at her life like a tumor?

I dare you to not compare apples to horse dung.

I admit it was a large stretch but that was my sort of intro into this argument on my position that human life should be respected from conception

Godular
Forum Moderator

Founded: Sep 09, 2004
New York Times Democracy

Postby Godular » Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:05 pm

We didn't ignore it. It's just irrelevant.
Now the moderation team really IS Godmoding.
Step 1: One-Stop Rules Shop. Step 2: ctrl+f. Step 3: Type in what you saw in modbox. Step 4: Don't do it again.
New to F7? Click here!

Northern Davincia
Post Marshal

Founded: Jun 10, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Northern Davincia » Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:06 pm

Northern Davincia wrote:
The end result is the same.

Not at all. In the first case a person isn't dead, but in the second there is.

Naturally I'm of the opinion that life begins at conception, and the very fact that stillbirths happen indicates that life does not begin after the child has exited the womb.
Godular wrote:
Oxes Republic wrote:My point I’m trying to make is that, if the child is alive and having a greater strain on the women’s life and came from her body and lives in her house, does that make that child property? And what difference does it make from a child in the womb sucking away a woman’s potential. Does this mean the fetus is the woman’s property even though it occupies its own genetic code by still relies on the mother?

Let us treat the fetus as a person then.

It is violating the personal space of the woman and using her body without her consent. Were it a born and grown person we'd have all kinds of nasty names for the crime it'd constitute, and the woman would be perfectly justified in defending herself (to the death if need be).

So... claiming the fetus' rights supercede those of the woman is unrealistic AND inconsistent.

Unless the woman is close to death as a result of the pregnancy, the child poses no threat. Killing it would not be a defensive action.
Oxes Republic wrote:What defines the human person then.

They have to be born for a start:

In determining the meaning of any Act of Congress, or of any ruling, regulation, or interpretation of the various administrative bureaus and agencies of the United States, the words “person”, “human being”, “child”, and “individual”, shall include every infant member of the species homo sapiens who is born alive at any stage of development.

It should be apparent that pro-lifers take issue with the current legal definitions and wish to have them changed.
Godular wrote:
Northern Davincia wrote:I'll offer my definition as soon as you provide yours.

No. You are the one trying to claim it is not. Our position is the status quo. You explain why we must discard that status quo.

Care to quote me describing anything here as invalid?
Hoppean Libertarian, Acolyte of von Mises, Protector of Our Sacred Liberties
Economic Left/Right: 9.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.05
Conserative Morality wrote:"Two gin-scented tears trickled down the sides of his nose. But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Big Hoppe."

Bezkoshtovnya
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Bezkoshtovnya » Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:06 pm

Oxes Republic wrote:
Bezkoshtovnya wrote:Which is a bullahit argument anyway, so.

Well you view it that way when a significant percentage(not the majority) of others view it as the truth

That's great. A bunch of people also think an alien warlord dropped nukes on earth and put his people in volcanoes. Doesn't mean that it is any less bullshit.
Dante Alighieri wrote:There is no greater sorrow than to recall happiness in times of misery
Charlie Chaplin wrote:Nothing is permanent in this wicked world, not even our troubles.
ΦΣK
------------------

Godular
Forum Moderator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Godular » Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:07 pm

Oxes Republic wrote:
Katganistan wrote:I dare you to not compare apples to horse dung.

I admit it was a large stretch but that was my sort of intro into this argument on my position that human life should be respected from conception

We do respect it. We just don't give it MORE respect than that which is owed to the woman.
Step 1: One-Stop Rules Shop. Step 2: ctrl+f. Step 3: Type in what you saw in modbox. Step 4: Don't do it again.
New to F7? Click here!

Oxes Republic
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Oxes Republic » Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:07 pm

Godular wrote:

We didn't ignore it. It's just irrelevant.

How is regarding the main basis of most pro life argument irrelevant? If we did we wouldn’t have an argument here but acknowledging legal flaws and issues with the law on how its in gray area is relevant

Bezkoshtovnya
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Bezkoshtovnya » Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:09 pm

Oxes Republic wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:You asked what defines a person. I offered you an answer. Take it or leave it.

The point of this is to argue abortion and its morality and recognizing legal flaws is a main party of many arguments, so I believe that that is a legal flaw and it should be up to debate on when life begins if we are arguing the topic as purely as possible and not by political borders set by a superior state that has definite bias

Murder is defined as the killing of another individual/person by another. Seeing as how a fetus is not an individual nor a person it doesnt apply. The only ones I can see trying to make this based entirely on beliefs or politics are those that desperately try to find ways to legislate their personal morals and beliefs onto others by grasping at straws.
ΦΣK
------------------

Oxes Republic
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Oxes Republic » Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:09 pm

Northern Davincia
Post Marshal

Founded: Jun 10, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Northern Davincia » Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:10 pm

Godular wrote:
Oxes Republic wrote:

We do respect it. We just don't give it MORE respect than that which is owed to the woman.

With the belief that all people are created equal, some might hold the view that the unborn child and their mother are worthy of equal respect.
Hoppean Libertarian, Acolyte of von Mises, Protector of Our Sacred Liberties
Economic Left/Right: 9.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.05
Conserative Morality wrote:"Two gin-scented tears trickled down the sides of his nose. But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Big Hoppe."

Katganistan
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Katganistan » Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:10 pm

Oxes Republic wrote:My point I’m trying to make is that, if the child is alive and having a greater strain on the women’s life and came from her body and lives in her house, does that make that child property? And what difference does it make from a child in the womb sucking away a woman’s potential. Does this mean the fetus is the woman’s property even though it occupies its own genetic code by still relies on the mother?

No, it means no one has the right to use your organs without your consent.
No one can have sex with you without your consent.
No one can sue you to force you to transfuse them or give them an organ, even if they will die without them.

Born kids can be put in the extremely problematic, underfunded, overcrowded foster care system where approximate half a million kids are stuck, with roughly 50 thousand a year aging out and only a quarter getting adopted. Not to mention the tragedies where foster kids or unwanted children are sometimes neglected and abused to death by their carers.

Or you can prevent suffering and raising taxes to support welfare by not demanding every pregnancy be carried to term.

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:11 pm

Northern Davincia wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:Not at all. In the first case a person isn't dead, but in the second there is.

Naturally I'm of the opinion that life begins at conception, and the very fact that stillbirths happen indicates that life does not begin after the child has exited the womb.

Life =/= person.

Northern Davincia wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:They have to be born for a start:

It should be apparent that pro-lifers take issue with the current legal definitions and wish to have them changed.

But until that time, we will use the definitions as given.

Wave on, wave on

Oxes Republic
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Oxes Republic » Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:12 pm

Bezkoshtovnya wrote:
Oxes Republic wrote:

Murder is defined as the killing of another individual/person by another. Seeing as how a fetus is not an individual nor a person it doesnt apply. The only ones I can see trying to make this based entirely on beliefs or politics are those that desperately try to find ways to legislate their personal morals and beliefs onto others by grasping at straws.

Well the basis of this argument is if the fetus is a person that the women had the choice to make or not and she did. Stating it as already decided is a horrible argument I.e. how a few countries had slavery till the 1980s and the US had it for almost a century

Godular
Forum Moderator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Godular » Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:12 pm

Northern Davincia wrote:
Godular wrote:
No. You are the one trying to claim it is not. Our position is the status quo. You explain why we must discard that status quo.

Care to quote me describing anything here as invalid?

Don't particularly care. I'm not much interested in arguing semantics, m'self. If you want a definition of valid you can damn well look it up yourself. Maybe then we can while away the hours yammering about how this or that aspect of the definition was TOTALLY cherry-picked or some other nonsense.
New to F7? Click here!

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:12 pm

Wave on, wave on

Godular
Forum Moderator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Godular » Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:13 pm

Northern Davincia wrote:
Godular wrote:

With the belief that all people are created equal, some might hold the view that the unborn child and their mother are worthy of equal respect.

Yeah. And also worthy of equal treatment under the law, which means that if the fetus happens to be using the woman's body without her consent (which if the woman does not wish to be pregnant, it most definitely is), she has the right to rectify the situation with immediacy and effect.
New to F7? Click here!

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:13 pm

Oxes Republic wrote:
Bezkoshtovnya wrote:Murder is defined as the killing of another individual/person by another. Seeing as how a fetus is not an individual nor a person it doesnt apply. The only ones I can see trying to make this based entirely on beliefs or politics are those that desperately try to find ways to legislate their personal morals and beliefs onto others by grasping at straws.

Well the basis of this argument is if the fetus is a person that the women had the choice to make or not and she did.

You have yet to give us any reasons as to why the fetus should be considered a person.

Wave on, wave on

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 29, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:13 pm

PreviousNext