NATION

PASSWORD

[Abortion Thread] (YET ANOTHER POLL!) Taking measure.

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

What policies would you use to reduce abortion numbers?

Welfare Support for Single Mothers
17%
Free Pregnancy-Related Health Care
17%
Comprehensive Sex Education
21%
Free Contraception
17%
Monetary Incentives (Child Care, Tax Incentives, Kid-Related Healthcare, specify if needed)
13%
No Changes
2%
Procedure Ban (Not outlawing abortion itself, but specific procedures)
3%
Outright Ban (With exceptions or without)
10%

Total votes : 2870

Datlofff
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 17, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Datlofff » Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:19 am

The New California Republic wrote:
Datlofff wrote:I'd be all for it considering I'm actually a ward of the state

I've always thought that "ward of the state" makes it sound like there is magic involved.

Speaking of my court date got pushed back for the second time. First it was wednesday, then it was today, now its tomorrow.
Im a slightly Authoritarian Moderate, I believe limited monarchies are the best systems of government, and that every 2016 presidential candidate was an idiot.
I personally feel that most people, in the act of trying to sound smart, often usually don't know what the fuck they are talking about.
Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

West Armyermary
Civilian

Founded: Sep 13, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby West Armyermary » Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:26 am

Wild mike wrote:There's is only a few main reasons for abortion. Either having the fetus could seriously harm the mother that is caring the child or if the fetus was formed from rape. Those are the two main moral reasons for abortion.

I have to agree, but not whenever the mother wants and they shouldn’t be near our schools, and the doctors should be trained well

Godular
Forum Moderator

Founded: Sep 09, 2004
New York Times Democracy

Postby Godular » Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:34 pm

West Armyermary wrote:
Wild mike wrote:There's is only a few main reasons for abortion. Either having the fetus could seriously harm the mother that is caring the child or if the fetus was formed from rape. Those are the two main moral reasons for abortion.

I have to agree, but not whenever the mother wants and they shouldn’t be near our schools, and the doctors should be trained well

Who says abortion doctors are not trained well?
Now the moderation team really IS Godmoding.
Step 1: One-Stop Rules Shop. Step 2: ctrl+f. Step 3: Type in what you saw in modbox. Step 4: Don't do it again.
New to F7? Click here!

Katganistan
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Katganistan » Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:23 am

Datlofff wrote:
Katganistan wrote:
https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/risk

So: a possibility of danger/harm/something unpleasant happening.

https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/defin ... onsibility

So two of the definitions specifically state that responsibility is having a duty to deal with something and the authority to act independently.

I think that having a duty to deal with what happens to your body and to deal with it in the manner you see fit (as long as it is legal) absolutely IS responsibility, not this "I DON'T LIKE IT ABORTION IS IRRESPONSIBLE AND THE EASY WAY OUT."

But the appeal to emotion people will never accept this and will continue to misuse the word in an attempt vilify the decisions of women not to have children when they are not ready, don't want them, when they pose a medical, economic, or social risk to them.

Going back up to the definition of risk and the idea of insurance: there are three things you can do to insure you will not have an unwanted pregnancy.

You can be abstinent. This is something people may choose, but of course is not fool-proof as there are aberrant people who will use force, coercion, or drugs to initiate sex with the unwilling.

You can utilize birth control. Condoms, birth control pills, shots, IUDs, diaphragms, spermicidal products, etc. These help, but nothing is 100% effective.

You can, if the first two methods fail, use your third form of insurance: abortion.

Adoption does not cure unwanted pregnancy. Abortion does.
Adoption only aids in finding a new placement for a child, but with over 400,000 kids in the system at any time in the US, with only a quarter who get adopted, and 30,000+ who live in the system until they are dumped out of it at the age of majority, and in which some children are sexually, physically and emotionally abused -- it's not a viable solution.

Fix the orphanages/group homes then. I'd be all for it considering I'm actually a ward of the state :)

You have not been for long, and honestly, I pray that you are in a safe, healthy environment free of that system very soon.

Katganistan
Senior Game Moderator

Postby Katganistan » Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:23 am

Datlofff wrote:I'd be all for it considering I'm actually a ward of the state

I've always thought that "ward of the state" makes it sound like there is magic involved.

Or that you get a cool superhero outfit and become a sidekick.

Katganistan
Senior Game Moderator

Postby Katganistan » Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:25 am

Or just not wanting them or being emotionally and financially prepared for them.... or yeah. Just not waning them.

Geneviev
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 03, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Geneviev » Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:32 am

The only moral reason for abortion is if there's a serious risk of harm to the mother and the child. Rape isn't one of those situations.
"Above all, keep loving one another earnestly, since love covers a multitude of sins." 1 Peter 4:8

The New California Republic
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:37 am

Geneviev wrote:

The only moral reason for abortion is if there's a serious risk of harm to the mother and the child. Rape isn't one of those situations.

I'd say that being forced to carry the rapist's child to term poses a serious risk of harm to the woman. Psychologically.
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

White-collared conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me
They're hoping soon, my kind will drop and die
But I'm going to wave my freak flag high
Wave on, wave on
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

The Free Joy State
Senior Issues Editor

Founded: Jan 05, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The Free Joy State » Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:45 am

Geneviev wrote:The only moral reason for abortion is if there's a serious risk of harm to the mother and the child. Rape isn't one of those situations.

I'd say that being forced to carry the rapist's child to term poses a serious risk of harm to the woman. Psychologically.

Putting aside the fact that NCR is correct that being pregnant as a result of rape poses a serious risk to psychological welfare, let's look at the physiological risk of serious harm to the woman: maternity is still the leading cause of death and disability among women of reproductive age in developing countries and causes the death of 700 women in the USA due to pregnancy or delivery complications.

Isn't that a fairly significant risk of harm?

EDIT: Or were you referring to certainty of harm? Because, in the case of abortions for medical emergencies, waiting until the foetus has no heartbeat and septicaemia sets in has very bad precedent.
Last edited by The Free Joy State on Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:29 am, edited 7 times in total.
"If there's a book that you want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it." - Toni Morrison

My nation does not represent my beliefs or politics.

Godular
Forum Moderator

Founded: Sep 09, 2004
New York Times Democracy

Postby Godular » Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:31 am

Geneviev wrote:

There is always a serious risk of harm to the mother and child in a pregnancy. If the fetus even has a different blood type than the mother, risk factors skyrocket. Do please stop acting as if pregnancy is some utterly flawless and heavily-failsafed biological process, because no it fucking isn’t.

Izzat another of your parental mouthpiece comments or something?
Now the moderation team really IS Godmoding.
Step 1: One-Stop Rules Shop. Step 2: ctrl+f. Step 3: Type in what you saw in modbox. Step 4: Don't do it again.
New to F7? Click here!

Constitutional Technocracy of Minecraft
Minister

Founded: Jul 14, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Constitutional Technocracy of Minecraft » Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:56 am

Geneviev wrote:

Perhaps consider the emotional harm to the mother of forcing her to carry her pregnancy (which was already caused by a traumatic experience) to term?

The Free Joy State
Senior Issues Editor

Ex-Nation

Postby The Free Joy State » Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:41 am

Constitutional Technocracy of Minecraft wrote:
Geneviev wrote:The only moral reason for abortion is if there's a serious risk of harm to the mother and the child. Rape isn't one of those situations.

Perhaps consider the emotional harm to the mother of forcing her to carry her pregnancy (which was already caused by a traumatic experience) to term?

Any pro-life people who want to "think of the foetus", should actually go ahead and consider the foetus.

Pregnancy that results from rape is not only hugely traumatic for the rape victim (who may attempt or complete suicide), it's also harmful for the foetus, too (should it be born) -- from the link:

As psychologist Andrew Solomon writes in his book, Far From the Tree, children conceived of rape are more likely to suffer from severe psychological disorders, the most common of which are Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD), depression, and anxiety.

They face many challenges both before and after birth. Research shows that maternal stress severely affects embryological development. Many women who are raped opt to take antidepressants to help them cope, which can harm the fetus.

The links says there are 32,000 rapes that result in pregnancy in the USA every year. That's 32,000 women's lives (and their offspring -- should they be born) potentially ruined by trauma, if women are forced to go carry the pregnancy to term.

People who say rape is no reason to abort should think on that.

Stressed women, pressured into keeping the foetuses that remind them of (probably) the worst trauma they could have endured, with high stress levels impacting the womb -- clinging on by a thread with antidepressants that may harm the foetus -- are not producing babies that live storybook lives.

So, pro-lifers who want to force women to carry foetuses that result from rape to term not only risk harming the woman further psychologically (perhaps irreversibly), they could well do the same to the foetus they claim to want to protect.

Hardly a job well done.

EDIT: Relevant link. [Warning, tough read] The plight of girls in Paraguay, where rape is not grounds for abortion.
Last edited by The Free Joy State on Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:09 am, edited 6 times in total.
"If there's a book that you want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it." - Toni Morrison

Constitutional Technocracy of Minecraft
Minister

Founded: Jul 14, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Constitutional Technocracy of Minecraft » Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:10 am

The Free Joy State wrote:
Constitutional Technocracy of Minecraft wrote:Perhaps consider the emotional harm to the mother of forcing her to carry her pregnancy (which was already caused by a traumatic experience) to term?

Any pro-life people who want to "think of the foetus", should actually go ahead and consider the foetus.

Pregnancy that results from rape is not only hugely traumatic for the rape victim (who may attempt or complete suicide), it's also harmful for the foetus, too (should it be born) -- from the link:

As psychologist Andrew Solomon writes in his book, Far From the Tree, children conceived of rape are more likely to suffer from severe psychological disorders, the most common of which are Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD), depression, and anxiety.

They face many challenges both before and after birth. Research shows that maternal stress severely affects embryological development. Many women who are raped opt to take antidepressants to help them cope, which can harm the fetus.

The links says there are 32,000 rapes that result in pregnancy in the USA every year. That's 32,000 women's lives (and their offspring -- should they be born) potentially ruined by trauma, if women are forced to go carry the pregnancy to term.

Stressed women, pressured into keeping the foetuses that remind them of (probably) the worst trauma they could have endured, with high cortisol levels that impact the womb -- clinging on by a thread with antidepressants that may harm the foetus -- are not producing babies that live storybook lives.

So, pro-lifers who want to force women to make women carry foetuses that result from rape to term not only risk harming the woman further psychologically (perhaps irreversibly), they could well do the same to the foetus they claim to want to protect.

Hardly a job well done.

EDIT: Relevant link. [Warning, tough read] The plight of girls in Paraguay, where rape is not grounds for abortion.

I fully agree with you. Sadly, though, pro-lifers often think of the quality of life for the fetus as a binary "alive/dead" question, rather than the actual pleasure/suffering of their future life.

The Free Joy State
Senior Issues Editor

Ex-Nation

Postby The Free Joy State » Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:18 am

Constitutional Technocracy of Minecraft wrote:
The Free Joy State wrote:

Stressed women, pressured into keeping the foetuses that remind them of (probably) the worst trauma they could have endured, with high cortisol levels that impact the womb -- clinging on by a thread with antidepressants that may harm the foetus -- are not producing babies that live storybook lives.

So, pro-lifers who want to force women to make women carry foetuses that result from rape to term not only risk harming the woman further psychologically (perhaps irreversibly), they could well do the same to the foetus they claim to want to protect.

Hardly a job well done.

I fully agree with you. Sadly, though, pro-lifers often think of the quality of life for the fetus as a binary "alive/dead" question, rather than the actual pleasure/suffering of their future life.

I know, which is a shame.

I like to think that, if some pro-lifers measured life in terms of suffering, rather than existence, they'd -- if not be pro-choice -- be less hardline in their views.

I don't like abortion. I feel squicky about it and have never pretended otherwise (I know many pro-choicers feel the same; despite there being some pro-lifers who are trying -- despite all evidence to the contrary -- to pretend that pro-choicers love abortions and that we gleefully make witches' brews with the souls of aborted foetuses).

But, despite my discomfort, I value the rights of women not to suffer (emotionally, as well as physically) and the rights of foetuses not to be born to live severely dimished lives (to be seriously sick, or to have parents who can't love them or care for them). So I swallow my discomfort, because I feel that women shouldn't experience trauma and be denied choice because I -- or anyone else -- find abortion squicky.

Of course, for me, more welfare, less stigmatisation about claiming and better education and healthcare is the dream to reduce the number.

But that wouldn't prevent situations like the one we're discussing, where women have been raped and want/need to abort.
Last edited by The Free Joy State on Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:26 am, edited 4 times in total.

Katganistan
Senior Game Moderator

Postby Katganistan » Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:18 am

I still believe that anyone who thinks that foster-care/adoption is the answer MUST adopt a child and relieve the strain on that system.

And by adopt a child I mean older children too. Children with special needs. Children whose skin tone doesn't necessarily match yours. Children who ended up there because they came out to their parents and were kicked out of the house. Not just cute little infants, but scabby-kneed kids, eating-machine teens, and defiant kids of all ages.

And no, going to adopt from other countries doesn't count. Adopt the children here, in this country, to whom you would add more wards of the state and therefore fewer resources.

Page
Post Marshal

Founded: Jan 12, 2012
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Page » Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:22 am

Katganistan wrote:I still believe that anyone who thinks that foster-care/adoption is the answer MUST adopt a child and relieve the strain on that system.

And by adopt a child I mean older children too. Children with special needs. Children whose skin tone doesn't necessarily match yours. Children who ended up there because they came out to their parents and were kicked out of the house. Not just cute little infants, but scabby-kneed kids, eating-machine teens, and defiant kids of all ages.

And no, going to adopt from other countries doesn't count. Adopt the children here, in this country, to whom you would add more wards of the state and therefore fewer resources.

Also, adopt a 5 year old, an 8 year old, even a 12 year old who has been in the foster care system for their entire life. Few people do, because they want a blank slate that they can shape in their own image.
Anarcho-Communist Against: Bolsheviks, Fascists, TERFs, Putin, Autocrats, Conservatives, Ancaps, Bourgeoisie, Bigots, Liberals, Maoists

I don't believe in kink-shaming unless your kink is submitting to the state.

Greater Cesnica
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 30, 2017
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Greater Cesnica » Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:24 am

Can I say second trimester?
Sic Semper Tyrannis.
WA Discord Server
Authorship Dispatch
WA Ambassador: Slick McCooley
Firearm Rights are Human Rights
privacytools.io - Use these tools to safeguard your online activities, freedoms, and safety
My IFAK and Booboo Kit Starter Guide!
novemberstars#8888 on Discord
San Lumen wrote:You are ridiculous.
George Orwell wrote:“That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there.”

Katganistan
Senior Game Moderator

Postby Katganistan » Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:26 am

Greater Cesnica wrote:Can I say second trimester?

You can. It would be helpful if you gave your reasoning.

The Free Joy State
Senior Issues Editor

Ex-Nation

Postby The Free Joy State » Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:29 am

Katganistan wrote:I still believe that anyone who thinks that foster-care/adoption is the answer MUST adopt a child and relieve the strain on that system.

^^ This.

So many people who say "adoption is the answer" say they may do it, they haven't ruled it out, they're thinking of it.

If pro-lifers believe adoption is the answer, they should stop thinking about it and actually go and adopt: older children, children with SEN, children who really need them. Then their opinion will be more than empty rhetoric.

EDIT: And, people who believe adoption is the answer might want to insist on seriously increasing the amount of funding the foster-system receives, to support this influx of kids they want to see. That'll mean a huge tax increase (foster-care alone currently costs £1.5 billion in the UK; and that's with legal abortion preventing a flood of children whose parents can't raise them), but I'm sure they're cool with that...
Last edited by The Free Joy State on Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:59 am, edited 7 times in total.

Neutraligon
Game Moderator

Founded: Oct 01, 2011
New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:30 am

Greater Cesnica wrote:Can I say second trimester?

No you can't. It does not matter that you already did, it is physically impossible for you to do so. :p
If you want to call me by a nickname, call me Gon...or NS Batman.
Mod stuff: One Stop Rules Shop | Reppy's Sig Workshop | Getting Help Request
Just A Little though

The South Falls
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 18, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby The South Falls » Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:37 am

Page wrote:

Also, adopt a 5 year old, an 8 year old, even a 12 year old who has been in the foster care system for their entire life. Few people do, because they want a blank slate that they can shape in their own image.

Then those people end up putting those kids in their hatred.
This is an MT nation that reflects some of my beliefs, trade deals and debate always welcome! Call me TeaSF. A level 8, according to This Index.

Political Compass Results:

Economic: -5.5
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.51
I make dumb jokes. I'm really serious about that.

Katganistan
Senior Game Moderator

Postby Katganistan » Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:04 am

The South Falls wrote:
Page wrote:

Then those people end up putting those kids in their hatred.

Well, it's not like we can stack them in a warehouse like goods waiting to be sold from Amazon, can we?

So either adopt or.... allow there not to be more children needlessly brought into the world only to be immediately rejected and shoved into the foster system.

The South Falls
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 18, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby The South Falls » Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:12 am

Katganistan wrote:
The South Falls wrote:Then those people end up putting those kids in their hatred.

Well, it's not like we can stack them in a warehouse like goods waiting to be sold from Amazon, can we?

So either adopt or.... allow there not to be more children needlessly brought into the world only to be immediately rejected and shoved into the foster system.

Yea, let's avoid stacking babies.
This is an MT nation that reflects some of my beliefs, trade deals and debate always welcome! Call me TeaSF. A level 8, according to This Index.

Political Compass Results:

Economic: -5.5
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.51
I make dumb jokes. I'm really serious about that.

Katganistan
Senior Game Moderator

Postby Katganistan » Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:16 pm

The South Falls wrote:
Katganistan wrote:Well, it's not like we can stack them in a warehouse like goods waiting to be sold from Amazon, can we?

Yea, let's avoid stacking babies.

I mean they roll around so easily.... big wobbly heads also make them difficult to store on a shelf....

The Free Joy State
Senior Issues Editor

Ex-Nation

Postby The Free Joy State » Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:32 pm

Katganistan wrote:
The South Falls wrote:Yea, let's avoid stacking babies.

I mean they roll around so easily.... big wobbly heads also make them difficult to store on a shelf....

And, as they get older, they have a tendency to start crawling... they want to walk. Getting them to stay on the shelf could be tricky...

Not to mention that it'd also take some very sturdy shelves to store all the older children and teenagers that are still waiting for families who never arrive...
Last edited by The Free Joy State on Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General