NATION

PASSWORD

GUN TALK: Doubletap

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Favorite intermediate cartridge?

5.56 NATO
45%
6%
7.62x39
22%
.30 Carbine
7%
.30-30 WCF
5%
Other
16%

Total votes : 281

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Founded: Feb 10, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Wed Mar 06, 2024 4:58 pm

Kernen wrote:
Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:Anyone here know of anything I can use to pull the trigger of a S&W EZ9 without much pain? My fingers hurt a lot due to trigger finger syndrome, but I do enjoy going to the range to target practice.

Get you a firearm that has a lot of aftermarket options. You,
may be able to get a real light trigger pull with an upgraded trigger bar.

Can that be done to my S&W? Or do you have any recommendations for a gun?
Slava Ukraini
Also: THERNSY!!
Your story isn't over;֍Help save transgender people's lives֍Help for feral cats
Cat with internet access||Supposedly heartless, & a d*ck.||Is maith an t-earra an tsíocháin.||No TGs
RIP: Dyakovo & Ashmoria

Kernen
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 02, 2011
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Kernen » Wed Mar 06, 2024 4:59 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
Kernen wrote:Get you a firearm that has a lot of aftermarket options. You,
may be able to get a real light trigger pull with an upgraded trigger bar.

No idea. You gotta do some research. I know you can do it with a Glock, but that's because they need to be upgraded.
From the throne of Khan Juk i'Behemoti, Juk Who-Is-The-Strength-of-the-Behemoth, Supreme Khan of the Ogres of Kernen. May the Khan ever drink the blood of his enemies!

Lawful Evil

Get abortions, do drugs, own guns, but never misstate legal procedure.

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Wed Mar 06, 2024 5:02 pm

Kernen wrote:
Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:

No idea. You gotta do some research. I know you can do it with a Glock, but that's because they need to be upgraded.

I can always steal Gallo’s for myself and leave him the S&W. 8)

I’ll check then.
Slava Ukraini
Cat with internet access||Supposedly heartless, & a d*ck.||Is maith an t-earra an tsíocháin.||No TGs

Kernen
Powerbroker

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Kernen » Wed Mar 06, 2024 5:02 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
Kernen wrote:No idea. You gotta do some research. I know you can do it with a Glock, but that's because they need to be upgraded.

I’ll check then.

Check out a product called a "rocket trigger bar" that may help with draw and reset.
From the throne of Khan Juk i'Behemoti, Juk Who-Is-The-Strength-of-the-Behemoth, Supreme Khan of the Ogres of Kernen. May the Khan ever drink the blood of his enemies!

Lawful Evil

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Wed Mar 06, 2024 5:05 pm

Kernen wrote:
Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:

I’ll check then.

Check out a product called a "rocket trigger bar" that may help with draw and reset.

Uuhh huh huh! Found one online for the S&W. Thanks.
Slava Ukraini

Hurtful Thoughts
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 09, 2005
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Hurtful Thoughts » Sun Mar 10, 2024 6:44 pm

Well, after spending $400 on AR barrels, only now am I wondering if they came with the necessary barrel-extensions, or whether I'll need to get the locking lug wrench and extensions to finish the headspacing myself.

Either way, doing the rebuilds over "just buy an upper" will save money in the long-run since with those tools, an average bolt-twister can perform some pretty extensive maintenance after shooting out a PSA upper to oblivion.
Factbook and general referance thread.
HOI <- Storefront (WiP)
Due to population-cuts, military-size currently being revised

The People's Republic of Hurtful Thoughts is a gargantuan, environmentally stunning nation, ruled by Leader with an even hand, and renowned for its compulsory military service, multi-spousal wedding ceremonies, and smutty television.
Mokostana wrote:See, Hurty cared not if the mission succeeded or not, as long as it was spectacular trainwreck. Sometimes that was the host Nation firing a SCUD into a hospital to destroy a foreign infection and accidentally sparking a rebellion... or accidentally starting the Mokan Drug War

Blackhelm Confederacy wrote:If there was only a "like" button for NS posts....

The Chuck
Minister

Founded: Apr 18, 2018
Capitalist Paradise

Postby The Chuck » Mon Mar 11, 2024 8:18 am

Hurtful Thoughts wrote:Well, after spending $400 on AR barrels, only now am I wondering if they came with the necessary barrel-extensions, or whether I'll need to get the locking lug wrench and extensions to finish the headspacing myself.

Either way, doing the rebuilds over "just buy an upper" will save money in the long-run since with those tools, an average bolt-twister can perform some pretty extensive maintenance after shooting out a PSA upper to oblivion.

Pacific Tool & Gauge Go/No-gos are decent but not sure if you want to cough up the cash for them
I advocate for violence every single day. I work in the arms industry.
In-Character Advertisement Space:
The Chuck wholly endorses Wolf Armaments, Lauzanexport CDT, and
Silverport Dockyards Ltd.

"Keep your guns... and buy more guns!" - Kitty Werthmann, Austrian Nazi Regime Survivor
Roof Korea, Best Korea. Hippity Hoppity, 내 재산에서 꺼져.
Pro: Liberty/Freedoms of the Individual, Unrestricted firearms ownership
-Slava-
Ukraini

Kernen
Powerbroker

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Kernen » Mon Mar 11, 2024 8:30 am

Hurtful Thoughts wrote:Well, after spending $400 on AR barrels, only now am I wondering if they came with the necessary barrel-extensions, or whether I'll need to get the locking lug wrench and extensions to finish the headspacing myself.

Chuck is right. Get the go and no go gauges. Most barrels for ARs have the requisite extensions sized correctly, but for peace of mind, get a gauge.

Lawful Evil

Grinning Dragon
Postmaster-General

Founded: May 16, 2011
Anarchy

Postby Grinning Dragon » Mon Mar 11, 2024 8:37 am

The Chuck wrote:

Pacific Tool & Gauge Go/No-gos are decent but not sure if you want to cough up the cash for them

Forster and Clymer are pretty reasonable in price.

Kernen
Powerbroker

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Kernen » Mon Mar 11, 2024 9:36 am

For a little less a gunsmith will just check for you

Lawful Evil

The Apollonian Systems
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 01, 2024
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Apollonian Systems » Mon Mar 11, 2024 10:06 am

So what in your guy’s opinions is the best “entry level”/first time 1911 would be?

Kernen
Powerbroker

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Kernen » Mon Mar 11, 2024 10:09 am

The Apollonian Systems wrote:So what in your guy’s opinions is the best “entry level”/first time 1911 would be?

Are you looking for a collection piece, a carry piece, or a range toy? Are you going budget or not? Is this your first pistol or just your first 1911?

Lawful Evil

The Apollonian Systems
Diplomat

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Apollonian Systems » Mon Mar 11, 2024 10:33 am

Kernen wrote:
The Apollonian Systems wrote:So what in your guy’s opinions is the best “entry level”/first time 1911 would be?

Are you looking for a collection piece, a carry piece, or a range toy? Are you going budget or not? Is this your first pistol or just your first 1911?

primarily for range primarily for the range and it would be my first 1911 but not my first handgun.

Kernen
Powerbroker

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Kernen » Mon Mar 11, 2024 10:36 am

The Apollonian Systems wrote:
Kernen wrote:Are you looking for a collection piece, a carry piece, or a range toy? Are you going budget or not? Is this your first pistol or just your first 1911?

primarily for range primarily for the range and it would be my first 1911 but not my first handgun.

Colt is a good bare bones start point. Kimber has some flare to it if you want that. You'll spend more than a single stack 45 is worth but you'll have The Vibe.
Last edited by Kernen on Mon Mar 11, 2024 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lawful Evil

Juansonia
Minister

Founded: Apr 01, 2022
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Juansonia » Mon Mar 11, 2024 5:52 pm

Kernen wrote:
The Apollonian Systems wrote:primarily for range primarily for the range and it would be my first 1911 but not my first handgun.
Colt is a good bare bones start point. Kimber has some flare to it if you want that. You'll spend more than a single stack 45 is worth but you'll have The Vibe.
Isn't Kimber famous for bad magazine reliability?
Hatsune Miku > British Imperialism
IC: MT if you ignore some stuff(mostly flavor), stats are not canon. Embassy link.
OOC: Owns and (sometimes) wears a maid outfit, wants to pair it with a FN SCAR-L. He/Him/His
Kernen did nothing wrong.
Space Squid wrote:Each sin should get it's own month.

Right now, Pride gets June, and Greed, Envy, and Gluttony have to share Thanksgiving/Black Friday through Christmas, Sloth gets one day in September, and Lust gets one day in February.

It's not equitable at all
Gandoor wrote:Cliché: A mod making a reply that's full of swearing after someone asks if you're allowed to swear on this site.

It makes me chuckle every time it happens.
Brits mistake Miku for their Anthem

Hurtful Thoughts
Powerbroker

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Hurtful Thoughts » Mon Mar 11, 2024 6:15 pm

Kernen wrote:

Chuck is right. Get the go and no go gauges. Most barrels for ARs have the requisite extensions sized correctly, but for peace of mind, get a gauge.

Oh, I already have that.

I am just quietly worried that I purchased barrels and the locking lugs weren't included.
-The barrel extension is in fact a separate part that is screwed on, torqued to up to 150 ft-lbs, and pinned.

Which'd mean I get the joys of wrenching an additional thing on.
Last edited by Hurtful Thoughts on Mon Mar 11, 2024 6:28 pm, edited 4 times in total.
HOI <- Storefront (WiP)

The People's Republic of Hurtful Thoughts is a gargantuan, environmentally stunning nation, ruled by Leader with an even hand, and renowned for its compulsory military service, multi-spousal wedding ceremonies, and smutty television.
Mokostana wrote:See, Hurty cared not if the mission succeeded or not, as long as it was spectacular trainwreck. Sometimes that was the host Nation firing a SCUD into a hospital to destroy a foreign infection and accidentally sparking a rebellion... or accidentally starting the Mokan Drug War

Kernen
Powerbroker

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Kernen » Mon Mar 11, 2024 6:27 pm

Juansonia wrote:
Kernen wrote:Colt is a good bare bones start point. Kimber has some flare to it if you want that. You'll spend more than a single stack 45 is worth but you'll have The Vibe.
Isn't Kimber famous for bad magazine reliability?

Ain't great but it's not a carry weapon.

Lawful Evil

The Chuck
Minister

Capitalist Paradise

Postby The Chuck » Tue Mar 12, 2024 8:33 am

Wilson Combat mags/pistol. Break the bank for the Almighty 45

"Keep your guns... and buy more guns!" - Kitty Werthmann, Austrian Nazi Regime Survivor
-Slava-
Ukraini

The Apollonian Systems
Diplomat

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Apollonian Systems » Tue Mar 12, 2024 1:43 pm

The Chuck wrote:Wilson Combat mags/pistol. Break the bank for the Almighty 45

But I like my bank account not being broke

Hurtful Thoughts
Powerbroker

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Hurtful Thoughts » Wed Mar 13, 2024 8:57 pm

Well, rebarrelling was a journey.

The good part was that the barrels came with barrel extensions and headspace was good with the bolts I already had.

The bad starts with the fact that the wrench I had was for a castle-nut, and not a barrel-nut.

So one trip to the store later, then box-vising the receiver later with a harbor-freight torque-wrench later, and the 16" pencil was replaced with a lightweight 20" at 50 ft-lbs, quad rail gas-block, and green handgaurds for that quasi C7A2 vibe.

Granted, I could've "just bought an upper" for $440, and this whole project has racked up to $700, I also have tools, a spare barre,l and a spare receiver to play with out of the deal.

'course I haven't quite pinned the gas-tube yet, but it's already in there pretty snug.
Last edited by Hurtful Thoughts on Wed Mar 13, 2024 9:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
HOI <- Storefront (WiP)

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Thu Mar 14, 2024 7:58 am

When the nagging works and you get your spouse to agree to finally get you that pink AR15. :D
Slava Ukraini

The Chuck
Minister

Capitalist Paradise

Postby The Chuck » Fri Mar 15, 2024 5:23 am

Hurtful Thoughts wrote:Well, rebarrelling was a journey.

The good part was that the barrels came with barrel extensions and headspace was good with the bolts I already had.

The bad starts with the fact that the wrench I had was for a castle-nut, and not a barrel-nut.

So one trip to the store later, then box-vising the receiver later with a harbor-freight torque-wrench later, and the 16" pencil was replaced with a lightweight 20" at 50 ft-lbs, quad rail gas-block, and green handgaurds for that quasi C7A2 vibe.

Granted, I could've "just bought an upper" for $440, and this whole project has racked up to $700, I also have tools, a spare barre,l and a spare receiver to play with out of the deal.

'course I haven't quite pinned the gas-tube yet, but it's already in there pretty snug.

Buying a barrel machined down to fit my Woo for $550... Then I need to take it to a gunsmith with a press to remove the press fit barrel or get a torch and be ready for one hot afternoon of receiver heating. Not including punching out the gas block pins and changing that out... :V

-Slava-
Ukraini

Cerespasia
Diplomat

Founded: May 13, 2023

Postby Cerespasia » Fri Mar 15, 2024 5:29 am

How does the idea of a possible love child between an AK and an AR-18 sound like? (it's basically a short-stroke gas piston driven kalash).
CERES IS BACK!
And I want some more..!
NSStats executed via full auto magdump from M55B Battle Rifle.
Current year: 19989 After Time. | Earthly equivalent: 2016 A.D.

Current flag: The stylized Standard of the Republic, feat. BDU'ed Henry.

Kernen
Powerbroker

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Kernen » Fri Mar 15, 2024 6:48 am

Cerespasia wrote:How does the idea of a possible love child between an AK and an AR-18 sound like? (it's basically a short-stroke gas piston driven kalash).

You'd have an expensive weapon with none of the reliability but all the manual of arms of an AK.

Long stroke pistons are stupid easy to build. Changing that detracts from the point of an AK: cheap and rugged under the shit tolerances of comblock manufacturing.

If you want a short stroke rifle, you'd be well served getting one of the many on the market. JAKL, SCAR, MCX, Bren...you got options. If you want a AK, you have options. If you want a long stroke not ak you have some options, like an X95 or I think galils.

Operstion method is going to buy you little difference at the shooter's level. Di is smoother than SS is smoother than LS, but you have so many variations that affect shooter felt recoil that you're better off looking at other features you need to consider and considering competing operating systems later.

Lawful Evil

The Apollonian Systems
Diplomat

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Apollonian Systems » Fri Mar 15, 2024 5:01 pm

The Chuck wrote:
Hurtful Thoughts wrote:Well, rebarrelling was a journey.

Buying a barrel machined down to fit my Woo for $550... Then I need to take it to a gunsmith with a press to remove the press fit barrel or get a torch and be ready for one hot afternoon of receiver heating. Not including punching out the gas block pins and changing that out... :V

K1 or K2?

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General