NATION

PASSWORD

Is repairing the third-world feasible?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Des-Bal
Post Czar

Founded: Jan 24, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Des-Bal » Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:01 pm

Sanctissima wrote:Oh bull.

That's both a massive oversimplification and Marxist-inspired drivel.

European colonial systems and the impetus behind them changed and adapted over the course of the many centuries they were implemented. It wasn't some grand Machiavellian conspiracy to oppress and subjugate the world to Europa's whims.

In the vast majority of cases, colonies were established for two primary reasons:

1) To pursue mercantilist policies of monopolizing as many resources and as much trade as feasibly possible.

2) To civilize or uplift the natives.

The latter was a particularly prominent driving impetus of the British colonial administration in Africa, which, frankly, invested far more financially into its colonies than it ever got out of them. In fact, for most European powers, their colonies represented net monetary losses, with only the major plantation islands of the Caribbean and Dutch spice islands in the Moluccas having actually produced a consistent surplus.

To say the main goal of European colonialism was to "fuck things up" is an inordinately pretentious falsehood, especially considering how in many ways the colonial powers objectively improved local living conditions (improved infrastructure, public education, healthcare, etc.) Notably, the British in particular went out of their way to put an end to the African slave trade. Hardly the type of behaviour to be expected of evil bourgeois capitalist boogeymen with top hats and curly mustaches.

I'm not quite the polar opposite of a communist but I'm damn close, I understand arguing with imaginary marxist theorists might be easier but if that's the game you want to play there's really no reason to quote me.

Colonies were "improved" in the sense that stealing someone's shoes and helping them cross the street helps get them where their going. The apparent benefits are vastly outweighed by the damage done. I am not arguing colonies were efficient I'm arguing they were run in a way that fundamentally did not work. Their goal, regardless of what it was purported to be, was achieved singularly by fucking things up. If you build a hospital and replace all existing of government with a purely extractive state while creating nonsensical national borders and no national identity the result is not "improvement" it is putting a shine on the big fat turd you created.

The image of colonialism as "uplifting" might be serviceable jerk-off material but it's ahistorical.
Cekoviu wrote:DES-BAL: Introverted, blunt, focused, utilitarian. Hard to read; not verbose online or likely in real life. Places little emphasis on interpersonal relationships, particularly with online strangers for whom the investment would outweigh the returns.
Desired perception: Logical, intellectual
Public perception: Neutral-positive - blunt, cold, logical, skilled at debating
Mindset: Logos

Estlobies
Envoy

Founded: Oct 21, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Estlobies » Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:03 pm

Overall, no. I suggest just containing it and occasionally interfering for fun, similarly to the savage reservation in Aldous Huxley's Brave New World.
Your Friendly Neighborhood Psychotic Bastard
Embassy Programme | WMD Circlejerk | SWG | ADL | IMAA | SW:G | ✠
Generally speaking, far. Not far-left or far-right, just far.
Pro: Executions, Mario Kart, Slavery, Vexillology
Anti: Consistency, Infidels, Logic, Stupid Bullshit
Why is it called tourist season if we can't shoot at them?
I’m thinking of buying a church and changing it around: maybe selling crack and having a few whores in the pew.
Never give up on an idea simply because it is bad and doesn’t work.
If one synchronized swimmer drowns, do the rest have to drown too?

Sanctissima
Powerbroker

Founded: Jul 16, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Sanctissima » Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:56 pm

Erythrean Thebes wrote:
Sanctissima wrote:To say the main goal of European colonialism was to "fuck things up" is an inordinately pretentious falsehood

What's pretentious about it?

It's indicative of an ignorant understanding of the history of colonialism and a knee-jerk reactionary desire to denigrate Western civlization.

Des-Bal wrote:I'm not quite the polar opposite of a communist but I'm damn close, I understand arguing with imaginary marxist theorists might be easier but if that's the game you want to play there's really no reason to quote me.

Mea culpa.

Colonies were "improved" in the sense that stealing someone's shoes and helping them cross the street helps get them where their going. The apparent benefits are vastly outweighed by the damage done. I am not arguing colonies were efficient I'm arguing they were run in a way that fundamentally did not work. Their goal, regardless of what it was purported to be, was achieved singularly by fucking things up. If you build a hospital and replace all existing of government with a purely extractive state while creating nonsensical national borders and no national identity the result is not "improvement" it is putting a shine on the big fat turd you created.

The image of colonialism as "uplifting" might be serviceable jerk-off material but it's ahistorical.

You clearly have not even done a rudimentary study of the history of European colonialism. At least, not in the context of the African continent, which seems to be your sole focus. The only instances where what you describe could be considered the norm were the Congo Free State and a few inland Portuguese holdings. In almost all other cases, the European colonial powers invested far more into their colonies than they ever got out of them, which renders the notion of colonialism in Africa being done for purely extractive reasons moot. Especially considering how heavily they invested infrastructurally and developmentally into the continent.

Had Europeans never set foot in Africa and left the continent to its own devices, it wouldn't be even nearly developed as it is today, with slaver states existing from the Sahel and Barbary Coast to Zanzibar, pock-marked with minor kingdoms and tribes here and there. Nevermind how unpopulated the damn place would be, with no access to the European medicines and healthcare that allowed the African population to boom in the first place.

Oh, and I might add that both culturally and ethnically the continent would by no means be substantially more harmonious, considering how the Zulu and Matebele in particular were well on their way to genociding every tribe that stood in their way from the Transvaal to the Zambezi before the British put a stop to that particular human rights travesty.

But do kindly go on about how the mean Euros drew artificial lines on a map and mined a bunch of gold and diamonds.

Des-Bal
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Des-Bal » Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:18 pm

Sanctissima wrote:
It's indicative of an ignorant understanding of the history of colonialism and a knee-jerk reactionary desire to denigrate Western civlization.

You clearly have not even done a rudimentary study of the history of European colonialism. At least, not in the context of the African continent, which seems to be your sole focus.

What's the most tactful way to I say "I wrote a thesis on this and I'm enjoying watching you parrot the talking points that are sullenly enumerated under the heading 'common misconceptions' in any serious academic analysis of colonialism while try to paint me as an unthinking reactionary?" Is it a hypothetical question?

The only instances where what you describe could be considered the norm were the Congo Free State and a few inland Portuguese holdings. In almost all other cases, the European colonial powers invested far more into their colonies than they ever got out of them, which renders the notion of colonialism in Africa being done for purely extractive reasons moot. Especially considering how heavily they invested infrastructurally and developmentally into the continent.

You're elevating the importance irrelevant bits of data. The colonial states were designed around extraction, they lacked the organs necessary to serve other purposes. The measure of their success was their ability to extract resources, not their ability to provide for their population or to develop effective institutions. As a result when the colonial structure was gone you had ethnic tensions and a state that couldn't really do anything except feed itself raw natural resources.

Had Europeans never set foot in Africa and left the continent to its own devices, it wouldn't be even nearly developed as it is today, with slaver states existing from the Sahel and Barbary Coast to Zanzibar, pock-marked with minor kingdoms and tribes here and there. Nevermind how unpopulated the damn place would be, with no access to the European medicines and healthcare that allowed the African population to boom in the first place.

Your counterfactual supposes a world without international trade, the cold war, or the capacity of any state to engage in any non-colonial involvement. Since we are in the land of make-believe I'll point out that fairy dust would eventually have fixed everything.

Peace exists nowhere on earth, that said colonialism did nothing but exacerbate ethnic conflicts. The human rights travesty you're describing, while unpleasant, is pretty much how bellocentric state development works. It's sausage getting made, the alternative created by colonialism was essentially just sucking on sawdust for the indeterminate future. Instead of seeing wars that expand the state we see wars that weaken it and the same cycle repeating over and over.
Last edited by Des-Bal on Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cekoviu wrote:DES-BAL: Introverted, blunt, focused, utilitarian. Hard to read; not verbose online or likely in real life. Places little emphasis on interpersonal relationships, particularly with online strangers for whom the investment would outweigh the returns.

Sanctissima
Powerbroker

Founded: Jul 16, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Sanctissima » Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:39 pm

Des-Bal wrote:What's the most tactful way to I say "I wrote a thesis on this and I'm enjoying watching you parrot the talking points that are sullenly enumerated under the heading 'common misconceptions' in any serious academic analysis of colonialism while try to paint me as an unthinking reactionary?" Is it a hypothetical question?

It's curious that you learned so little in writing your thesis.

Oh well.

You're elevating the importance irrelevant bits of data. The colonial states were designed around extraction, they lacked the organs necessary to serve other purposes. The measure of their success was their ability to extract resources, not their ability to provide for their population or to develop effective institutions. As a result when the colonial structure was gone you had ethnic tensions and a state that couldn't really do anything except feed itself raw natural resources.

You seem to be under the impression that the European colonies never progressed being the pure mercantilist policies of the 16th and 17th centuries. As it so happens, they developed into considerably more than just mere trading operations. Which, as I've said multiple times, is abundantly obvious given net loss of the vast majority of them.

Unless you're suggesting that the Euros were simply terrible accountants with no sense of economic profitability, I'm inclined to say you're intentionally oversimplifying the entire paradigm.

Your counterfactual supposes a world without international trade, the cold war, or the capacity of any state to engage in any non-colonial involvement. Since we are in the land of make-believe I'll point out that fairy dust would eventually have fixed everything.

Peace exists nowhere on earth, that said colonialism did nothing but exacerbate ethnic conflicts. The human rights travesty you're describing, while unpleasant, is pretty much how bellocentric state development works. It's sausage getting made, the alternative created by colonialism was essentially just sucking on sawdust for the indeterminate future. Instead of seeing wars that expand the state we see wars that weaken it and the same cycle repeating over and over.

Ah yes, remind me how civilizations with minimal technological development magically get on par with their vastly superior neighbors through trade and diplomacy alone. You seem to be under the impression that a non-colonized Africa would have been anything other than an even more impoverished, disease-ridden, war-ravaged shithole than it already is.
Last edited by Sanctissima on Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:40 pm, edited 3 times in total.

The of Japan
Minister

Founded: Jul 30, 2016
Left-Leaning College State

Postby The of Japan » Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:49 pm

The Grene Knyght wrote:Ending neo-colonialism would be step number one, but I doubt capitalism could survive that.

China is doing that the most recently.
Texan Communist and Internationalist

Erythrean Thebes
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 17, 2017
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Erythrean Thebes » Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:50 pm

Sanctissima wrote:
Erythrean Thebes wrote:What's pretentious about it?

It's indicative of an ignorant understanding of the history of colonialism and a knee-jerk reactionary desire to denigrate Western civlization

It's not unique to Western civilization, its a critique of all civilization: the impunity of using aggression and coercive force to forcibly define the condition and the life circumstances of fellow human beings. That claim is true of colonialism in Africa like it is of very many political activities independent of specific times and places
Ἐρύθρα᾽Θήβαι
Factbook | Embassy | Religion | Community
Create a Colony in YN!
ATTN DEMOCRACIES - JOIN THE OCEANIC SECURITY COUNCIL - SAVE DEMOCRACY

Des-Bal
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Des-Bal » Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:07 pm

Sanctissima wrote:
It's curious that you learned so little in writing your thesis.

Oh well.

You seem to be under the impression that the European colonies never progressed being the pure mercantilist policies of the 16th and 17th centuries. As it so happens, they developed into considerably more than just mere trading operations. Which, as I've said multiple times, is abundantly obvious given net loss of the vast majority of them.

Unless you're suggesting that the Euros were simply terrible accountants with no sense of economic profitability, I'm inclined to say you're intentionally oversimplifying the entire paradigm.

Ah yes, remind me how civilizations with minimal technological development magically get on par with their vastly superior neighbors through trade and diplomacy alone. You seem to be under the impression that a non-colonized Africa would have been anything other than an even more impoverished, disease-ridden, war-ravaged shithole than it already is.

And it's not at all curious that you haven't developed an opinion more complicated than "Hooray Europe." The model of colonialism as uplifting is nothing less than delusional.

You should repeat that a few more times and see if it matters, the fact that these enterprises weren't profitable doesn't change their nature. Colonial states were good at nothing except resource acquisition.

You have, at this point, once again descended into arguing with people not party to this conversation and I will not deign to defend points I've never asserted.

Non-Colonized Africa, regardless of it's flaws would have states that served their purpose because prior to colonization they did. It doesn't matter that they were furnished with infrastructure, it doesn't matter that they were exposed to new technologies, the governments created by colonialism were governments that could not function as governments and between the structures and divides created by colonialism their fucked from top to bottom. It is better for a state to lack medicine and roads than to lack the ability to advance.

Pearl of Cathay
Civil Servant

Founded: Feb 20, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Pearl of Cathay » Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:41 pm

Ideally open border will eliminate global poverty, although long-term institutional issues might as well offset if not outright reverse the problem and making the condition worsen for everyone. The thing is that most of what was Third World in 20th Century is presently repairing itself through pro-market reforms - institutions and policies are far more important than paternalist aid accumulation, regardless of whether the man in charge is a white governor or a Hakka man from Sichuan.
"I am certain that nothing has done so much to destroy the juridical safeguards of individual freedom as the striving after this mirage of social justice."

Oil exporting People
Powerbroker

Founded: Jan 31, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Oil exporting People » Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:49 pm

Sanctissima wrote:To say the main goal of European colonialism was to "fuck things up" is an inordinately pretentious falsehood, especially considering how in many ways the colonial powers objectively improved local living conditions (improved infrastructure, public education, healthcare, etc.) Notably, the British in particular went out of their way to put an end to the African slave trade. Hardly the type of behaviour to be expected of evil bourgeois capitalist boogeymen with top hats and curly mustaches.

When one looks at the data, they find that the more extensively colonized a nation was, the better off it is today.
National Syndicalist
“The blood of the heroes is closer to God than the ink of the philosophers and the prayers of the faithful.” - Julius Evola
Endorsing Greg "Grab 'em by the Neck" Gianforte and Brett "I Like Beer" Kavanaugh for 2020

Oil exporting People
Powerbroker

Founded: Jan 31, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Oil exporting People » Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:51 pm

El-Amin Caliphate wrote:1 example isn't a reflection on the whole.
It's a known fact that colonialism is a really bad and wrong part of the colonizer's and colonized's history, and has detremental effects in the long run.

Only if one believes in a Marxist narrative, but reality says firmly to the contrary.
National Syndicalist
“The blood of the heroes is closer to God than the ink of the philosophers and the prayers of the faithful.” - Julius Evola
Endorsing Greg "Grab 'em by the Neck" Gianforte and Brett "I Like Beer" Kavanaugh for 2020

Des-Bal
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Des-Bal » Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:34 am

Oil exporting People wrote:
When one looks at the data, they find that the more extensively colonized a nation was, the better off it is today.

No, they find that indirect rule is consistently associated with lower state capacity and poorer prospects for modernization. Areas that were settled tend to do better off but that's not the magic power of colonialism it's the difference between creating a functional government and shitting all over everything.

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jul 01, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby USS Monitor » Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:54 pm

The of Japan wrote:
The Grene Knyght wrote:Ending neo-colonialism would be step number one, but I doubt capitalism could survive that.

China is doing that the most recently.

China is capitalist.
Don't take life so serious... it isn't permanent... RIP Dyakovo and Ashmoria
19th century steamships may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. In case of accidental ingestion, please seek immediate medical assistance.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།

Great Kauthar
Ambassador

Founded: May 01, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Great Kauthar » Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:45 pm

Absolutely. There's one simple way to do so: a Marshall Plan for Africa, just as Merkel and the CDU endorse.

USS Monitor wrote:
The of Japan wrote:China is doing that the most recently.

China is capitalist.

No, it's Socialist with Chinese Characteristics
"Let the thief no longer steal, but rather let him labor, doing honest work with his own hands, so that he may have something to share with anyone in need." - Ephesians 4:28 (ESV)
Christian Social Democrat
I am: "A monument to [the RWDT's] collective sins."

Crockerland
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 15, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Crockerland » Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:21 pm

USS Monitor wrote:
The of Japan wrote:China is doing that the most recently.

China is capitalist.

lol
Free Taiwan, Hong Kong, and Tibet.
Gay not Queer / Why Abortion is Genocide / End Gay Erasure
PROUD SUPPORTER OF:
National Liberalism, Nuclear & Geothermal Power, GMOs, Vaccines, Biodiesel, LGBTIA equality, Universal Healthcare, Universal Basic Income, Constitutional Carry, Emotional Support Twinks, Right to Life

Aboim
Envoy

Founded: Nov 06, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Aboim » Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:51 am

Crockerland wrote:
USS Monitor wrote:
China is capitalist.

lol

:blink:

Almost all capitalist dictatorships supported by US during the Cold War were precisely that: multiple state companies, opulent nomenklaturas, private property and free market only for friends of regime, heavy taxes to subsidise the free market of regime’s friends; And they were capitalists, only a little statists, or weren’t they?

Great Kauthar
Ambassador

Founded: May 01, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Great Kauthar » Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:25 am

Crockerland wrote:
USS Monitor wrote:
China is capitalist.

lol

I agree it's not capitalist but having a lot of state-owned enterprises doesn't refute that, it is after all a huge country and many western countries have state-owned enterprises
"Let the thief no longer steal, but rather let him labor, doing honest work with his own hands, so that he may have something to share with anyone in need." - Ephesians 4:28 (ESV)
Christian Social Democrat
I am: "A monument to [the RWDT's] collective sins."

Crockerland
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 15, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Crockerland » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:09 am

Great Kauthar wrote:
Crockerland wrote:lol

I agree it's not capitalist but having a lot of state-owned enterprises doesn't refute that, it is after all a huge country and many western countries have state-owned enterprises

The vast majority of western countries are mixed-market, not purely capitalist, societies. The United States, for example, has policies of a planned economy when it comes to the postal service, passenger rail, etc. in contrast to the general support for market economics.
Aboim wrote:
Crockerland wrote:lol

Almost all capitalist dictatorships supported by US during the Cold War were precisely that: multiple state companies, opulent nomenklaturas, private property and free market only for friends of regime, heavy taxes to subsidise the free market of regime’s friends; And they were capitalists, only a little statists, or weren’t they?

A "free market only for friends of the regime" is not a free market at all, what you're describing is more akin to the economic policies of Fascism than of Capitalism.
Free Taiwan, Hong Kong, and Tibet.
Gay not Queer / Why Abortion is Genocide / End Gay Erasure
PROUD SUPPORTER OF:
National Liberalism, Nuclear & Geothermal Power, GMOs, Vaccines, Biodiesel, LGBTIA equality, Universal Healthcare, Universal Basic Income, Constitutional Carry, Emotional Support Twinks, Right to Life

Kavagrad
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 22, 2017
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Kavagrad » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:13 am

Crockerland wrote:
Aboim wrote:

A "free market only for friends of the regime" is not a free market at all, what you're describing is more akin to the economic policies of Fascism than of Capitalism.

The US spent 4 years putting down fascists, then the next 45 propping them up. Something about "Better dead than red".
"Kava where are you? We need a purge specialist" - Dyl
"You'll always be a Feral Rat in my heart, Kava" - Podria
"It’s no fun being anti-Kava when he hates himself too" - Greylyn
Decorative Rubble Enthusiast

Navulva
Bureaucrat

Founded: Nov 26, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Navulva » Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:28 pm

Crockerland wrote:
USS Monitor wrote:
China is capitalist.

lol

Socialism is not when the state owns everything or anything.
NS stats and policies are mostly canon. Stats and policies contradicted by factbooks and stated information are immediately false (For example pacifism is much lower than stats show).
INS: Navulvan Presidium, noting the essential nature of this proposal, calls an emergency meeting of the Supreme Central Committee to discuss compulsory gun ownership.

Watch how fast the right will take away guns when the left takes arms.
Compass: -10, 8 Progressive: 11

Summertimequestionswine
Spokesperson

Founded: Jul 04, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Summertimequestionswine » Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:23 pm

We should cease the foreign aid and instead air drop bootstraps into third world countries.

Darussalam
Minister

Founded: May 15, 2012
Anarchy

Postby Darussalam » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:09 pm

Crockerland wrote:
USS Monitor wrote:
China is capitalist.

lol

All these things are relative - the bulk of China's enormous growth and subsequent wealth came from a considerably drastic institutional change from Maoism to Dengist market reforms, specifically the SEZs. All things considered it's fairly capitalist and a market success story, but China is hardly a rich country. A more capitalist China is a wealthier one: Taiwan.
The Eternal Phantasmagoria
Nation Maintenance
A Lovecraftian (post?-)cyberpunk Galt's Gulch with Arabian Nights aesthetics, posthumanist cults, and occult artificial intellects.

Nihon koku
Bureaucrat

Founded: Feb 14, 2012
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Nihon koku » Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:49 am

Dumb Ideologies wrote:You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. Stop wasting money and resources.

This.

Des-Bal
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Des-Bal » Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:12 am

Nihon koku wrote:This.

That would assume that the third world is made of a different material than the rest of the world. It is not. It is literally the same substance.

Jackania yugo
Ambassador

Founded: May 22, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Jackania yugo » Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:15 am

Do we fix the third world by making it more or less capitalist?
This nation a funsion between capitalism and social democracy (the only type of socialism made to actually be incorporated into capitalist governments rather than trying to destroy it).

This nation is PMT/FT. Sometimes modern tech.

We sometimes use pokemorphs and digimon in our armed forces. Sometimes

We are technically centrist.

This nation is a reunited Yugoslavia (and also sometimes controls the UK as well).

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General