NATION

PASSWORD

Gay Rights? What do you think.

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

New Kereptica
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 14, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby New Kereptica » Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:37 am

Industrial Grid wrote:
Maurepas wrote:Somehow I doubt sexuality works that way...

No one should be forced to suck my cock.

How many are?
Blouman Empire wrote:Natural is not nature.

KiloMikeAlpha wrote:Umm hmm.... mind if I siggy that as a reminder to those who think that it is cool to shove their bat-shit crazy atheist beliefs on those of us who actually have a clue?

Teccor wrote:You're actually arguing with Kereptica? It's like arguing with a far-Left, militantly atheist brick wall.

Bluth Corporation wrote:No. A free market literally has zero bubbles.

JJ Place wrote:I have a few more pressing matters to attend to right now; I'll be back later this evening to continue my one-man against the world struggle.

Mercator Terra wrote: Mental illness is a myth.

New Kereptica
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby New Kereptica » Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:38 am

Maurepas wrote:I've always used the terms synonymously...

You're not British (right?); you have no excuse!

KiloMikeAlpha wrote:Umm hmm.... mind if I siggy that as a reminder to those who think that it is cool to shove their bat-shit crazy atheist beliefs on those of us who actually have a clue?

Teccor wrote:You're actually arguing with Kereptica? It's like arguing with a far-Left, militantly atheist brick wall.

JJ Place wrote:I have a few more pressing matters to attend to right now; I'll be back later this evening to continue my one-man against the world struggle.

Maurepas
Post Czar

Founded: Apr 17, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Maurepas » Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:38 am

Industrial Grid wrote:
Maurepas wrote:Somehow I doubt sexuality works that way...

No one should be forced to suck my cock.

Well, of course it shouldn't be your cock, mine on the other hand.... :p

New Kereptica
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby New Kereptica » Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:38 am

El-Yonder wrote:
New Kereptica wrote:
El-Yonder wrote:They should be treated as humans, but I am against the marriage & adoption thing, both because of religion. Adoption, though, I'm a no-no on that one, because it sways the child(ren) in a certain direction, and kids shouldn't be forced to accept anything (including religion, so that I don't get heated for that).

Straight parents don't "sway the child(ren) in a certain direction"?

Most of the time, no, in a way, unless their parents are 1) Religious (almost) extremists or 2) Amish. Although, the parents (man & wife, mind you) do set up the example about being straight. However, most of today's world is pretty liberal, and lets the child(ren) choose their own fate.

So why is "swaying" a problem with homosexual adoption?

EvilDarkMagicians
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 05, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby EvilDarkMagicians » Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:39 am

El-Yonder wrote:
New Kereptica wrote:
El-Yonder wrote:They should be treated as humans, but I am against the marriage & adoption thing, both because of religion. Adoption, though, I'm a no-no on that one, because it sways the child(ren) in a certain direction, and kids shouldn't be forced to accept anything (including religion, so that I don't get heated for that).

Most of the time, no, in a way, unless their parents are 1) Religious (almost) extremists or 2) Amish. Although, the parents (man & wife, mind you) do set up the example about being straight. However, most of today's world is pretty liberal, and lets the child(ren) choose their own fate.

:lol2:, you really think that?

Redwulf
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 06, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Redwulf » Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:39 am

South Lorenya wrote:
Pythria wrote:Gays should have the same rights as anyone else, except marriage. Marriage is a sacred bond between one man and one woman, and should be kept that way.

Bullshit. Marriage is a bond between two consenting adults, regardless of their genders.

Fixed.
Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law. Just remember, no one likes an asshole.
Don't make me serious. You wouldn't like me when I'm serious.

Industrial Grid
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 26, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Industrial Grid » Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:39 am

New Kereptica wrote:How many are?

I lost track after the 93rd world fell to the penocaust.
Last edited by Industrial Grid on Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
Not a Communist.

Maurepas
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Maurepas » Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:40 am

New Kereptica wrote:

I didn't know that was a British thing, :?

New Kereptica
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby New Kereptica » Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:40 am

Industrial Grid wrote:
New Kereptica wrote:How many are?

I lost track after the 93rd world fell to the penocaust.

;)

Takaram
Powerbroker

Founded: Feb 23, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Takaram » Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:40 am

New Kereptica wrote:
El-Yonder wrote:
New Kereptica wrote:

Because obviously the evil homos will force their children to only like men. [/sarcasm]
Of course, that's ignoring the fact that gay people can come from straight families, so hey.

New Kereptica
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby New Kereptica » Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:40 am

Maurepas wrote:
New Kereptica wrote:

I didn't know that was a British thing, :?

It is according to Wikipedia >.>

Hayteria
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 18, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Hayteria » Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:40 am

Maurepas wrote:Marriage is a necessity for these things because that is the avenue through which people enter into contracts with their S.O.'s...

Which begs the further question as to why someone being your S.O. should even be that relevant to such contracts in the first place...

Maurepas wrote:Under the law Straights have the right to marry the person they choose

Not if it's a first cousin. Again, this isn't to say it's the same thing, but again, the point remains that marrying the same sex isn't the only restriction on marrying who you choose...

Maurepas wrote:no more than the fact that Blacks also had schools during Segregation meant that everyone had equal access to education

Education is a bit more of a necessity than marriage, though. Also, segregation could be used as a means to covertly discriminate, whereas the whole idea of "marriage means one man one woman regardless of who is involved" is by its very definition gender-based, but at least consistently so.

Maurepas wrote:The United States is party to the Universal Declaration of Human Rights whether it likes it or not...

That could change. If enough voter discontent with both Democrats and Republicans accumulates to put an alternative like Chuck Baldwin into office, the US won't be part of the UN for much longer...

Maurepas
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Maurepas » Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:46 am

Hayteria wrote:
Maurepas wrote:Marriage is a necessity for these things because that is the avenue through which people enter into contracts with their S.O.'s...

Which begs the further question as to why someone being your S.O. should even be that relevant to such contracts in the first place...

Maurepas wrote:Under the law Straights have the right to marry the person they choose

Not if it's a first cousin. Again, this isn't to say it's the same thing, but again, the point remains that marrying the same sex isn't the only restriction on marrying who you choose...

Maurepas wrote:no more than the fact that Blacks also had schools during Segregation meant that everyone had equal access to education

Education is a bit more of a necessity than marriage, though. Also, segregation could be used as a means to covertly discriminate, whereas the whole idea of "marriage means one man one woman regardless of who is involved" is by its very definition gender-based, but at least consistently so.

Maurepas wrote:The United States is party to the Universal Declaration of Human Rights whether it likes it or not...

That could change. If enough voter discontent with both Democrats and Republicans accumulates to put an alternative like Chuck Baldwin into office, the US won't be part of the UN for much longer...

That Idea of marriage is a new one, and isn't backed by human history, marriage is between consenting adults, nothing more...

I wasn't aware one was barred from marrying one's first cousin, there are some people in Vancleave that'll need to have words about that...

Whether it can change or not is irrelevant, the fact is that the US is bound by it now, and the UDHR considers it a Fundamental Right, whether you agree with it or not, meaning it is no less(and possibly more) valid a right as Education...

One's S.O. is relevant, because they are part of one's family...
Last edited by Maurepas on Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:49 am, edited 2 times in total.

Unchecked Expansion
Negotiator

Founded: May 06, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Unchecked Expansion » Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:48 am

Hayteria wrote:

Because the law gives certain privileges to a married couple not available to one not legally married

El-Yonder
Envoy

Founded: Feb 19, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby El-Yonder » Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:49 am

New Kereptica wrote:
El-Yonder wrote:
New Kereptica wrote:

Because it's just that. Swaying. It influences the child in a way that is more than opinion in cases like what is believes as right or wrong, truth or lie. It could be that a child with 2 dads pretty much decides that homosexuality isn't in cahoots with them, at the end, but notes otherwise because of the fact that he/she has 2 dads.
There is no place in this world where someone like me can truly be happy. But that's okay; there's always another day, and always another person to love.
98% of all internet users would cry if Facebook would break down, if you are part of that 2% who simply would sit back and laugh then copy and paste this into your sig.

One day, Love sees Friendship walking by.
"What are you doing here?" Love asks.
"Don't you see? To wipe away the tears you've caused," Friendship replies, and walks off.

The Alma Mater
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: May 23, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby The Alma Mater » Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:49 am

Maurepas wrote:That Idea of marriage is a new one, and isn't backed by human history, marriage is between consenting adults, nothing more...

Actually, the whole consent part is even newer. Marriage traditionally was a simple business deal between the parents, or sometimes the prospective husband and the parents of the desired (child) bride. Consent and love were not important.
Getting an education was a bit like a communicable sexual disease.
It made you unsuitable for a lot of jobs and then you had the urge to pass it on.
- Terry Pratchett, Hogfather

Industrial Grid
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Industrial Grid » Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:50 am

Maurepas wrote:That Idea of marriage is a new one, and isn't backed by human history, marriage is between consenting adults, nothing more...

No. In Sudan a few years ago, a man was "sentenced" to marry a goat he had screwed.
http://www.sudantribune.com/article.php ... icle=14249
Last edited by Industrial Grid on Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Not a Communist.

Allbeama
Senator

Founded: May 26, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Allbeama » Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:50 am

F1-Insanity wrote:
Rolling squid wrote:Gay rights is usually used as short hand for giving gay couples the same rights and protections as straight protections.

I think human rights mostly apply to individuals.

And marriage is a matter between individuals. Ergo, sexual orientation should have no bearing on having one's relationship recognized as "marriage" or something that carries the same weight in society and legal issues. Say taxes, adoption and all the couple things. Ultimately it is about legitimizing the union of a same sex couple, that recognizes that they are as valid as a straight couple.
Agonarthis Terra, My Homeworld.
The Internet loves you. mah Factbook

Hope lies in the smouldering rubble of Empires.

Maurepas
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Maurepas » Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:51 am

The Alma Mater wrote:

Actually, the whole consent part is even newer. Marriage traditionally was a simple business deal between the parents, or sometimes the prospective husband and the parents of the desired (child) bride. Consent and love were not important.

Agreed, simply a contract in the general sense then...

New Kereptica
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby New Kereptica » Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:51 am

El-Yonder wrote:Because it's just that. Swaying. It influences the child in a way that is more than opinion in cases like what is believes as right or wrong, truth or lie. It could be that a child with 2 dads pretty much decides that homosexuality isn't in cahoots with them, at the end, but notes otherwise because of the fact that he/she has 2 dads.

Homosexual couples are somehow more susceptible to this swaying than heterosexual couples?

Lunatic Goofballs
Retired Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Lunatic Goofballs » Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:51 am

El-Yonder wrote:
New Kereptica wrote:
El-Yonder wrote:
New Kereptica wrote:

Because it's just that. Swaying. It influences the child in a way that is more than opinion in cases like what is believes as right or wrong, truth or lie. It could be that a child with 2 dads pretty much decides that homosexuality isn't in cahoots with them, at the end, but notes otherwise because of the fact that he/she has 2 dads.

And this is bad because....?
Life's Short. Munch Tacos.

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
Hunter S. Thompson

Maurepas
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Maurepas » Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:51 am

Industrial Grid wrote:

No. In Sudan a few years ago, a man was "sentenced" to marry a goat he had screwed.
http://www.sudantribune.com/article.php ... icle=14249

Was it an Adult Goat?

Allbeama
Senator

Founded: May 26, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Allbeama » Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:52 am

Pythria wrote:Gays should have the same rights as anyone else, except marriage. Marriage is a sacred bond between one man and one woman, and should be kept that way.

Way to completely miss the point. And contradict yourself simultaneously. :clap:
Agonarthis Terra, My Homeworld.
The Internet loves you. mah Factbook

Hope lies in the smouldering rubble of Empires.

Minotzia
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 17, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Minotzia » Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:53 am

Plaza Square wrote:People keep telling me that gay rights should be illegal, but when I ask them why, they just storm off. I want your opinions but please give a real reason and not something like, "Because it should be!" Thank you for posting.

Because if we allow gays to get married we have to extend spousal benefits to a larger percentage of the population, and that means everyone gets paid less. Plus we would be going with policy on a social issue that isn't backed by the social majority, and that's always going to be disastrous.

Industrial Grid
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Industrial Grid » Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:53 am

Maurepas wrote:Was it an Adult Goat?

Goats mature faster than humans.
Not a Communist.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General