NATION

PASSWORD

What is your thought on marriage?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Do you want to get married why or why not?

Yes because I want to live the rest of my life with my BF or GF cause I love them so much
25%
No, because I don't want to be stuck with someone for life
3%
Yes because of those sweet sweet tax cuts.
3%
No, because I would rather like life to the fullest and not settle down
9%
Yes because I want to have a stable home for my future kids
17%
No, because I want kids but not a wife/husband
2%
Yes, for religious reasons
9%
No, not now but later on in life maybe.
33%

Total votes : 600

Des-Bal
Post Czar

Founded: Jan 24, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Des-Bal » Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:58 pm

Valgora wrote:He'll definitely need a guide.

I think going to certain area's of the globe require vaccination before even going there.

I think yellow fever is the only CDC required vaccine to travel abroad, the other ones are totally unnecessary if you're ready to die.
Cekoviu wrote:DES-BAL: Introverted, blunt, focused, utilitarian. Hard to read; not verbose online or likely in real life. Places little emphasis on interpersonal relationships, particularly with online strangers for whom the investment would outweigh the returns.
Desired perception: Logical, intellectual
Public perception: Neutral-positive - blunt, cold, logical, skilled at debating
Mindset: Logos

Keshiland
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 30, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Keshiland » Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:59 pm

Sovaal wrote:
Keshiland wrote:
No I will not be a travel guide I will be an American living with the locals for a week. I will only have what they have and nothing more.

So you'll travel by foot from place to place? Not be able to get you kids medication and vaccines, and watch them slowly die?

1. Everyone would get vaccines and medicine before going to each country. 2. Its only 1 week no one will die since they will get protected before going to said nation.
OOC- I am a Prolife Liberal who is Anti Gun, Pro Immigration, Pro UHC, Pro financial aid, and anything that makes children's lives better. I am also eco-friendly.

IC- The Federation of Keshiland stands for freedom and local governance. Requirements for state hood. A territory atleast 1,000 KL and a population of atleast 100k. Our Constitution keeps us free and can only be changed with a 3/4ths ratification of the states.

State count 135

Katganistan
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Katganistan » Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:01 pm

Keshiland wrote:
Sovaal wrote:So you'll travel by foot from place to place? Not be able to get you kids medication and vaccines, and watch them slowly die?

1. Everyone would get vaccines and medicine before going to each country. 2. Its only 1 week no one will die since they will get protected before going to said nation.

Vaccines and medicine cost money.
Plane, train and boat tickets cost money.
Shelter costs money.
Food costs money.

Food for ten costs a small fortune.

Not. Realistic.

The Greater Siriusian Domain
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 08, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby The Greater Siriusian Domain » Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:04 pm

I'm not interested in marriage. At all. I don't want to be in a formal relationship with anyone as I'm concerned it would distract me from my goals. I don't want to have kids because I know I would be a terrible father - heck, I can barely tolerate other people's kids.
"For a mind so determined to reach the sky, on the wings of a dream!" - Sanctity, Zeppo
This nation's factbook supersedes NS stats and issues, but does not completely replace them. If there is a conflict, the Factbook is correct.

Isentran has been DENOUNCED for proposing legislation that would destroy the economy of the Greater Siriusian Domain
The Greater Siriusian Domain is a borderline Class Z9 Civilization according to this scale

Primary Ambassador: Teran Saber, Male Siriusian. Snarky, slightly arrogant.
Substitute Ambassador: Ra'lingth, Male En'gari. Speaks with emphasized "s" sounds.

Senkaku
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Sep 01, 2012
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Senkaku » Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:06 pm

Katganistan wrote:
Keshiland wrote:

Shelter costs money.
Food costs money.

Not. Realistic.

Don't forget ending nationalism and international rivalries through the power of reality television. :roll:
Biden-Santos Thought cadre

Costa Fierro
Post Marshal

Founded: Dec 09, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Costa Fierro » Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:11 pm

"Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist." - George Carlin

The New California Republic
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:29 am

Keshiland wrote:So as long as my wife wants to be a world traveller I think it would work out.

I plan to visit over 150 countries with my kids spending 1 week in each country over the summer so that they can experience the world and meet all the different cultures to make sure that not once of even the slightest thought of bigotry enter the minds of any of my children and so they will see the world through a clear lens, not a propaganda lens.

I can document the trips and use them as a documentary series to not only get the trips funded but to truly shift north America and Europe into Earth loving societies and leave all the nationalism behind.

Delusional. Completely delusional.
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

White-collared conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me
They're hoping soon, my kind will drop and die
But I'm going to wave my freak flag high
Wave on, wave on
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:33 am

Keshiland wrote:Nationalism is bread.

More Keshiland wisdom! "Nationalism is bread".

This guy wants to be a TV producer and change people's opinions, but cannot spell for shit, or uses words interchangeably.
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

Wave on, wave on

NeuPolska
Powerbroker

Founded: Jun 09, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby NeuPolska » Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:35 am

The New California Republic wrote:
Keshiland wrote:Nationalism is bread.

This guy wants to be a TV producer and change people's opinions, but cannot spell for shit, or uses words interchangeably.

But I mean

Is he wrong

Please, call me POLSKA
U.S. Army Enlisted
Kar-Esseria wrote:Who is that and are they female because if not then they can go make love to their hand.
Impaled Nazarene wrote:Go home Polska wins NS.
United Mongol Hordes wrote:Polska isn't exactly the nicest guy in the world
Impaled Nazarene wrote:Hurd you miss the point more than Polska misses Poland.
Rhodesialund wrote:when you have Charlie ten feet away or something operating operationally.
Nirvash Type TheEND wrote:Gayla is living in 1985 but these guys are already in 1916

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:41 am

Katganistan wrote:
Keshiland wrote:

Shelter costs money.
Food costs money.

Not. Realistic.

^This. Unless Keshiland has a bottomless money pit to drag his sprogmaker and sprogs around the world, then visiting every country is not going to happen.

Not. Going. To. Happen.

Keshiland, you need a major reality check. I don't know if you actually believe everything you are saying. I hope not, but if you do, then that is very worrying...

Wave on, wave on

Post Czar

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:49 am

NeuPolska wrote:

But I mean

Is he wrong

I am looking at my loaf of bread right now actually. It is white, but that doesn't necessarily mean it is nationalist. I asked it what it thinks of its country in comparison to other countries, but it didn't say anything. It sits next to the brown loaf of bread quite happily, without feeling the need to distance itself from it or make itself seem superior. It doesn't have any nationalist insignia on it or anything. So I am guessing my loaf isn't nationalist, but it may have some deep-seated opinions that it is not revealing, so I will keep a cautious eye on it...

Wave on, wave on

Greater Redosia
Minister

Founded: Aug 01, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Greater Redosia » Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:33 am

NeuPolska wrote:But I mean

Is he wrong

I am looking at my loaf of bread right now actually. It is white, but that doesn't necessarily mean it is nationalist. I asked it what it thinks of its country in comparison to other countries, but it didn't say anything. It sits next to the brown loaf of bread quite happily, without feeling the need to distance itself from it or make itself seem superior. It doesn't have any nationalist insignia on it or anything. So I am guessing my loaf isn't nationalist, but it may have some deep-seated opinions that it is not revealing, so I will keep a cautious eye on it...

*Slowly claps* You my friend, have made my morning wake up call so much better.
Member of the Cobalt Network
Want to join? Click here!

RPs I'm currently in:

Salandriagado
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 03, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Salandriagado » Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:23 am

Senkaku wrote:

That link seems like fucking bullshit lmao.

"Why no study can ever show definitively that getting married will make you happier

The current authors—and all the other people who try to make the same kinds of claims—want to compare married people to single people, and if they find that the married people look better in some way (say, they are happier), then conclude that if single people would only get married, they would get happier, too. But there is a big problem that can never be fully surmounted: The married people and the single people are different people."
So unless we control every variable in every aspect of the subjects' entire lives, no study is valid?

"Think of it this way: Suppose you found, hypothetically, that people who become accountants are happier than those who become poets. Should all the poets then set their imaginations aside and set up shop as accountants—and expect to become happier as a result? It's ridiculous."
Correlation doesn't imply causation, it's true. But it can.

"Because married people and single people are different people, any way that they are different could account for any differences in happiness (again, if such differences really do exist), meaning that marriage might have nothing whatsoever to do with the happiness differences."
Sounds like something someone should do a study on. Oh wait...

"For example, maybe the people who get married are already happier even before they marry—in which case marriage may be irrelevant. Or maybe they differ in other ways associated with happiness."
In which case you can record that kind of shit and try to control for it and consider it as a source of error.

"For example, because legal marriage comes with a treasure trove of legal and financial benefits, as well as discount rates on just about everything, married people may be less likely to be impoverished and that could make them happier."
Less likely to be impoverished as a result of being fucking married.

Furthermore: "And—this will not surprise readers of this blog—marriage researchers don't consider ways that married and single people differ that reflect positively on single people."

Note the "blog" bit there. The blog called "Living Single" isn't in favor of marriage? Who'd'a thunk it?

This is a bullshit blog entry that tries to use statistical mumbo-jumbo to handwave a bunch of bullshit past you. Find better sources, at least, if you're going to continue with the idiotic and Sisyphean task of convincing people in or people who have experience with happy marriages that they and said marriages are in fact unhappy.

Also, that first claim is exactly "our hypothesis isn't falsifiable".

Keshiland wrote:
Aillyria wrote:You're assuming people would even invest in your pitch in the first place, alot of pre-production goes into actually getting a show on the air.

If I go to CBS with a show and a plan of how to produce that show for a cost of about 50K per episode they are very likely to entertain it since they would be almost guaranteed to profit off of that show. They live for high rating low cost productions

No they wont. They have finite air time, and shit that people actually want to watch to fill that airtime with.

Keshiland wrote:
Sovaal wrote:So you'll travel by foot from place to place? Not be able to get you kids medication and vaccines, and watch them slowly die?

OK, go on then. Come up with a budget to feed and house this family of yours in the US for one week on an average week's income.
Last edited by Salandriagado on Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cosara wrote:
Anachronous Rex wrote:Good thing most a majority of people aren't so small-minded, and frightened of other's sexuality.

Over 40% (including me), are, so I fixed the post for accuracy.

Vilatania wrote:
Salandriagado wrote:
Notice that the link is to the notes from a university course on probability. You clearly have nothing beyond the most absurdly simplistic understanding of the subject.
By choosing 1, you no longer have 0 probability of choosing 1. End of subject.

(read up the quote stack)

Deal. £3000 do?[/quote]

Of course.[/quote]

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Founded: Aug 20, 2010
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Ethel mermania » Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:37 am

Keshiland wrote:
Aillyria wrote:You're assuming people would even invest in your pitch in the first place, alot of pre-production goes into actually getting a show on the air.

If I go to CBS with a show and a plan of how to produce that show for a cost of about 50K per episode they are very likely to entertain it since they would be almost guaranteed to profit off of that show. They live for high rating low cost productions

50k an episode? Do you plan on paying anybody? Reality is going to be a pretty big surprise to you.
https://www.hvst.com/posts/the-clash-of ... s-wl2TQBpY

The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.
--S. Huntington

The most fundamental problem of politics is not the control of wickedness but the limitation of righteousness. 

--H. Kissenger

Erinkita III
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 02, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Erinkita III » Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:51 am

My partner and I will probably end up getting married at some point. We both want to adopt children and it's easier if you have a marriage certificate.

Personally, I agree that it will be expedient to do so, but I'm not personally enthusiastic about the prospect. We already know we're together for the rest of our lives. We've already made our promises to one another. Does that not count unless we get it in writing? That seems like such an insult.

I know it doesn't have to be a big deal, but culture's been telling me since I was a toddler that marriage is the biggest deal. Little girls have it drilled into our heads that this is the quest goal. There's so much baggage that comes part and parcel with the ceremony that I have trouble thinking of it as a mere act of convenience. And I can't conceptualise it in any way that doesn't make me feel cheap and doesn't denigrate the idea of our relationship.

But we'll almost certainly end up doing it anyway, so it doesn't really matter.

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Ethel mermania » Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:55 am

Erinkita III wrote:My partner and I will probably end up getting married at some point. We both want to adopt children and it's easier if you have a marriage certificate.

Personally, I agree that it will be expedient to do so, but I'm not personally enthusiastic about the prospect. We already know we're together for the rest of our lives. We've already made our promises to one another. Does that not count unless we get it in writing? That seems like such an insult.

I know it doesn't have to be a big deal, but culture's been telling me since I was a toddler that marriage is the biggest deal. Little girls have it drilled into our heads that this is the quest goal. There's so much baggage that comes part and parcel with the ceremony that I have trouble thinking of it as a mere act of convenience. And I can't conceptualise it in any way that doesn't make me feel cheap and doesn't denigrate the idea of our relationship.

It does make the legal stuff easier. The buying of houses, cars, the dealing with medical issues. In the states health insurance

The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.
--S. Huntington

The most fundamental problem of politics is not the control of wickedness but the limitation of righteousness. 

--H. Kissenger

Erinkita III
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Erinkita III » Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:58 am

Ethel mermania wrote:
Erinkita III wrote:My partner and I will probably end up getting married at some point. We both want to adopt children and it's easier if you have a marriage certificate.

It does make the legal stuff easier. The buying of houses, cars, the dealing with medical issues. In the states health insurance

Yes, it makes a lot of sense for us to get married. There's no practical reason not to. It just makes me feel squicky.

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Ethel mermania » Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:01 am

Erinkita III wrote:
Ethel mermania wrote:

Yes, it makes a lot of sense for us to get married. There's no practical reason not to. It just makes me feel squicky.

You will make a lovely bride. When you do it, send me a picture.

--S. Huntington

--H. Kissenger

Erinkita III
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Erinkita III » Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:06 am

Ethel mermania wrote:
Erinkita III wrote:Yes, it makes a lot of sense for us to get married. There's no practical reason not to. It just makes me feel squicky.

You will make a lovely bride. When you do it, send me a picture.

Thank you, Ethel. Will do.

Alanis Star
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 05, 2016
Democratic Socialists

Postby Alanis Star » Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:33 am

A cat and a frog, getting married?

Hmm... totally shipping it.
Valentine Z's first ever puppet.
• I really want to carry a kitten and pet it.
• A perfect balance between urban and nature.
• Ruled by a magical android from another dimension, always cheerful and smiling.

Northern Ateria wrote:"Aww, you [Clarissa] purr just like a little kitten..." - President Adamaris Leah Harley Mustang
Sapporo Hyperspace Riftgate Laboratory wrote:
> literally all NS nations that controlled the entire Earth ever, said in every place in NS possible, in every second since Max Barry created NationStates

Send a Telegram to Valentine Z if you want a conversation. I'm always open for a little chatter. ♥

Ifreann
Post Overlord

Founded: Aug 07, 2005
Iron Fist Socialists

Postby Ifreann » Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:04 am

Keshiland wrote:
Sovaal wrote:Guess you don't watch or read NatGeo, the BBC, etc...

You can't be serious, they are monitored and can get an out anytime they want. You relies most of them are not living in the same conditions they have the same basics as they do at home. I would love to see an actual documentarian live on the $2 a day that many countries in Africa and Asia have as their daily average

You're going to try and support yourself and ten children on $2 a day. As a vacation?

Yeah, your children are going to be taken away from you. That's child abuse.
He/Him

beating the devil
we never run from the devil
we never summon the devil
we never hide from from the devil
we never

The Huskar Social Union
Khan of Spam

Founded: Apr 04, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Huskar Social Union » Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:06 am

Ifreann wrote:
Keshiland wrote:
You can't be serious, they are monitored and can get an out anytime they want. You relies most of them are not living in the same conditions they have the same basics as they do at home. I would love to see an actual documentarian live on the $2 a day that many countries in Africa and Asia have as their daily average

You're going to try and support yourself and ten children on $2 a day. As a vacation?

If he ever has them in the first place, again i doubt any woman would want to marry him.
Irish Nationalist from Belfast / Leftwing / Atheist / Alliance Party voter
"I never thought in terms of being a leader, i thought very simply in terms of helping people" - John Hume 1937 - 2020

I like Miniature painting, Tanks, English Gals, Video games and most importantly Cheese.

Keshiland
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Keshiland » Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:27 am

The Huskar Social Union wrote:
Ifreann wrote:You're going to try and support yourself and ten children on $2 a day. As a vacation?

If he ever has them in the first place, again i doubt any woman would want to marry him.

I'll just find someone who is so desperate for love and acceptance that they will do whatever I want. AKA have 10 kids without ever asking isn't # enough?
OOC- I am a Prolife Liberal who is Anti Gun, Pro Immigration, Pro UHC, Pro financial aid, and anything that makes children's lives better. I am also eco-friendly.

IC- The Federation of Keshiland stands for freedom and local governance. Requirements for state hood. A territory atleast 1,000 KL and a population of atleast 100k. Our Constitution keeps us free and can only be changed with a 3/4ths ratification of the states.

State count 135

Ifreann
Post Overlord

Founded: Aug 07, 2005
Iron Fist Socialists

Postby Ifreann » Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:28 am

Keshiland wrote:
The Huskar Social Union wrote:If he ever has them in the first place, again i doubt any woman would want to marry him.

I'll just find someone who is so desperate for love and acceptance that they will do whatever I want. AKA have 10 kids without ever asking isn't # enough?

"I'll just find some vulnerable person and manipulate them into having kids, who I will drag off to impoverished nations to die"
Last edited by Ifreann on Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
He/Him

beating the devil
we never run from the devil
we never summon the devil
we never hide from from the devil
we never

Keshiland
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Keshiland » Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:29 am

Ifreann wrote:
Keshiland wrote:

Its not abuse if its in a different country for a week for a tv show. Guess most of the humans on earth are nasty abusive parents. :roll:

State count 135

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General