NATION

PASSWORD

[Burma/Myanmar] Rohingya genocide/ethnic cleansing scandal

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Hirota
Powerbroker

Founded: Jan 22, 2004
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Hirota » Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:12 pm

HMS Queen Elizabeth wrote:
Hirota wrote:I guess it depends on how you judge "works" and if you believe the ends justify the means. Since I don't agree with that belief, and since I don't think targeting a demographic is a good thing, I'd have to disagree.

Then logically you believe Germany has a right to invade Poland.
I don't know where or how or what medication is required to make that blind leap into what you call logic but I call insanity.
When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger - Confucius
Known to trigger Grammar Nazis, Spelling Nazis, Actual Nazis, the emotionally stunted and pedants.
Those affected by the views, opinions or general demeanour of this poster should review this puppy picture. Those affected by puppy pictures should consider investing in an isolation tank.

Economic Left/Right: -3.25, Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.03
Isn't it curious how people will claim they are against tribalism, then pigeonhole themselves into tribes?

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
I use obviously in italics to emphasise the conveying of sarcasm. If I've put excessive obviously's into a post that means I'm being sarcastic

Ramune and Chocolate
Spokesperson

Founded: Aug 08, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Ramune and Chocolate » Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:19 pm

HMS Queen Elizabeth wrote:So you oppose ethnic cleansing but if it is done successfully you don't support reversing it and returning the stolen land to its original inhabitants?

You're assuming too much.

I oppose ethnic cleansing and I completely support reparation for its victims, but I view it through the lens of violation of individual liberties. In this context, the aggressors against individuals should be punished, restitution should be paid to individuals who suffered aggression to their persons and property, and any further aggression is acceptable only insofar as they protect the liberties of individuals. This was certainly not the case with European revanchism, where nation-states assumed guardianship over the "nation" they claimed to subjugate and terrorize civilians of other nations. This was also not the case in neoconservative "humanitarian interventions", which aggressed against millions of civilians for the companies' profits, politicians' votes, and the installment of another state-occupier of the land.
Left-libertarian, free market anarchist.
Free market anti-capitalism?
Music

Kubra
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 15, 2006
Father Knows Best State

Postby Kubra » Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:39 pm

Kubra wrote: oh kind of like we all forgot how you Brits set up this conflict

Indeed, with their crazy policy of freedom of immigration inside their possessions. Something I take it that you oppose?
I'm not one to bash bringing politics by the end of the bayonet, it would have been grand of Napoleon to invade England and bring it into civilization proper, but in the Burmese case it mostly resulted in deepening ethnic division and capital outflow to the islands.
“Atomic war is inevitable. It will destroy half of humanity: it is going to destroy immense human riches. It is very possible. The atomic war is going to provoke a true inferno on Earth. But it will not impede Communism.”
Comrade J. Posadas

HMS Queen Elizabeth
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 06, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby HMS Queen Elizabeth » Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:42 pm

Ramune and Chocolate wrote:
HMS Queen Elizabeth wrote:So you oppose ethnic cleansing but if it is done successfully you don't support reversing it and returning the stolen land to its original inhabitants?

You're assuming too much.

I oppose ethnic cleansing and I completely support reparation for its victims, but I view it through the lens of violation of individual liberties. In this context, the aggressors against individuals should be punished, restitution should be paid to individuals who suffered aggression to their persons and property, and any further aggression is acceptable only insofar as they protect the liberties of individuals. This was certainly not the case with European revanchism, where nation-states assumed guardianship over the "nation" they claimed to subjugate and terrorize civilians of other nations. This was also not the case in neoconservative "humanitarian interventions", which aggressed against millions of civilians for the companies' profits, politicians' votes, and the installment of another state-occupier of the land.

So if ethnic cleansing is done successfully you don't support reversing it and returning the stolen land to its original inhabitants.
Last edited by HMS Queen Elizabeth on Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Crown the King with Might!
Let the King be strong,
Hating guile and wrong,
He that scorneth pride.
Fearing truth and right,
Feareth nought beside;

HMS Queen Elizabeth
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby HMS Queen Elizabeth » Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:43 pm

Kubra wrote:
HMS Queen Elizabeth wrote:Indeed, with their crazy policy of freedom of immigration inside their possessions. Something I take it that you oppose?
I'm not one to bash bringing politics by the end of the bayonet, it would have been grand of Napoleon to invade England and bring it into civilization proper, but in the Burmese case it mostly resulted in deepening ethnic division and capital outflow to the islands.

Tell me more about how immigration results in deep ethnic divisions and capital outflow Mr Trump.
Let the King be strong,
Hating guile and wrong,
He that scorneth pride.
Fearing truth and right,
Feareth nought beside;

Ramune and Chocolate
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Ramune and Chocolate » Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:05 pm

Ramune and Chocolate wrote:You're assuming too much.

So if ethnic cleansing is done successfully you don't support reversing it and returning the stolen land to its original inhabitants.

Where did I say that?
Music

HMS Queen Elizabeth
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby HMS Queen Elizabeth » Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:42 pm

HMS Queen Elizabeth wrote:So if ethnic cleansing is done successfully you don't support reversing it and returning the stolen land to its original inhabitants.

Where did I say that?

Your post seems to suggest only money should be paid and even then only by individual people responsible for the actions, who will only be alive for so long.
Let the King be strong,
Hating guile and wrong,
He that scorneth pride.
Fearing truth and right,
Feareth nought beside;

Ramune and Chocolate
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Ramune and Chocolate » Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:17 pm

Ramune and Chocolate wrote:Where did I say that?

Your post seems to suggest only money should be paid and even then only by individual people responsible for the actions, who will only be alive for so long.

I happen to also support reparation for descendants of African-American slaves in the US so I have no idea what you are talking about.

Regardless, even if for practical purposes it's impossible for dead people to compensate for dead people, it's hardly a justification for the imperative to cleanse certain ethnic group. In fact, seeing that justice will be much unlikely to be served if the ethnic cleansers emerge triumphant, it's more the reason to oppose such act and bring the perpetrators before justice in the present.
Music

HMS Queen Elizabeth
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby HMS Queen Elizabeth » Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:26 pm

HMS Queen Elizabeth wrote:Your post seems to suggest only money should be paid and even then only by individual people responsible for the actions, who will only be alive for so long.

I happen to also support reparation for descendants of African-American slaves in the US so I have no idea what you are talking about.

When really you should support returning them to Africa on Uncle Sam's dime.

Regardless, even if for practical purposes it's impossible for dead people to compensate for dead people, it's hardly a justification for the imperative to cleanse certain ethnic group. In fact, seeing that justice will be much unlikely to be served if the ethnic cleansers emerge triumphant, it's more the reason to oppose such act and bring the perpetrators before justice in the present.

What's your point? I said you don't support returning the land. You don't. You only support money transfers. Under your scheme the Burmese can kick the Rohingya out into Bangladesh so long as they pay them off later.
Let the King be strong,
Hating guile and wrong,
He that scorneth pride.
Fearing truth and right,
Feareth nought beside;

Ramune and Chocolate
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Ramune and Chocolate » Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:28 pm

What's your point? I said you don't support returning the land. You don't. You only support money transfers. Under your scheme the Burmese can kick the Rohingya out into Bangladesh so long as they pay them off later.

Incorrect, I oppose eminent domain. The Rohingya should be able to claim their property again if they wish so.
Music

HMS Queen Elizabeth
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby HMS Queen Elizabeth » Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:32 pm

HMS Queen Elizabeth wrote:What's your point? I said you don't support returning the land. You don't. You only support money transfers. Under your scheme the Burmese can kick the Rohingya out into Bangladesh so long as they pay them off later.

Incorrect, I oppose eminent domain. The Rohingya should be able to claim their property again if they wish so.

Then Germany should be able to reclaim large parts Poland, something which you strenuously denied believing.
Let the King be strong,
Hating guile and wrong,
He that scorneth pride.
Fearing truth and right,
Feareth nought beside;

Ramune and Chocolate
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Ramune and Chocolate » Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:36 pm

Ramune and Chocolate wrote:Incorrect, I oppose eminent domain. The Rohingya should be able to claim their property again if they wish so.

Then Germany should be able to reclaim large parts Poland, something which you strenuously denied believing.

Then descendants of German residents expelled from Poland should be able to return to their property, if legitimately acquired. Nation-states are a sham and do not represent them, individual liberties have nothing to do with national interests.
Music

HMS Queen Elizabeth
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby HMS Queen Elizabeth » Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:07 pm

HMS Queen Elizabeth wrote:Then Germany should be able to reclaim large parts Poland, something which you strenuously denied believing.

Then descendants of German residents expelled from Poland should be able to return to their property, if legitimately acquired. Nation-states are a sham and do not represent them, individual liberties have nothing to do with national interests.

They're not a sham at all, as you would know if you had ever driven across the border between what is now Germany and what was once Germany, and if you had walked in the cities of what is now Germany and what was once Germany.
Let the King be strong,
Hating guile and wrong,
He that scorneth pride.
Fearing truth and right,
Feareth nought beside;

Ramune and Chocolate
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Ramune and Chocolate » Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:18 pm

Ramune and Chocolate wrote:Then descendants of German residents expelled from Poland should be able to return to their property, if legitimately acquired. Nation-states are a sham and do not represent them, individual liberties have nothing to do with national interests.

They're not a sham at all, as you would know if you had ever driven across the border between what is now Germany and what was once Germany, and if you had walked in the cities of what is now Germany and what was once Germany.

What I am saying is quite obvious. Individuals have rights, nations do not. The consequential difference is quite evident: if one allows that Germany has the right to occupy certain territories in Poland, this means recognizing that Germany has the right to levy taxation, monopolize law enforcement and public services, enact laws and regulations, and even potentially discriminating or expropriating proprietors, including those of Polish ethnicity.
Music

HMS Queen Elizabeth
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby HMS Queen Elizabeth » Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:22 pm

HMS Queen Elizabeth wrote:They're not a sham at all, as you would know if you had ever driven across the border between what is now Germany and what was once Germany, and if you had walked in the cities of what is now Germany and what was once Germany.

What I am saying is quite obvious. Individuals have rights, nations do not. The consequential difference is quite evident: if one allows that Germany has the right to occupy certain territories in Poland, this means recognizing that Germany has the right to levy taxation, monopolize law enforcement and public services, enact laws and regulations, and even potentially discriminating or expropriating proprietors, including those of Polish ethnicity.

Absolutely: the right of the German people to live under German government is denied.
Let the King be strong,
Hating guile and wrong,
He that scorneth pride.
Fearing truth and right,
Feareth nought beside;

Ramune and Chocolate
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Ramune and Chocolate » Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:33 pm

Ramune and Chocolate wrote:What I am saying is quite obvious. Individuals have rights, nations do not. The consequential difference is quite evident: if one allows that Germany has the right to occupy certain territories in Poland, this means recognizing that Germany has the right to levy taxation, monopolize law enforcement and public services, enact laws and regulations, and even potentially discriminating or expropriating proprietors, including those of Polish ethnicity.

Absolutely: the right of the German people to live under German government is denied.

Individuals have rights, nations/groups/states do not. Individuals have the right of self-determination, that is true, I also agree that preferably individuals should also be free to choose the providers of public service in a free market system. But states should not enforce monopoly over a certain ethnic group, which seems to be what you're implicitly accepting here.
Last edited by Ramune and Chocolate on Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Music

HMS Queen Elizabeth
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby HMS Queen Elizabeth » Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:35 pm

HMS Queen Elizabeth wrote:Absolutely: the right of the German people to live under German government is denied.

Individuals have rights, nations/groups/states do not. Individuals have the right of self-determination, that is true, I also agree that preferably individuals should also be free to choose the providers of public service in a free market system. But states should not enforce monopoly over a certain ethnic group, which seems to be what you're implicitly accepting here.

The right of German people to live under German government is a right pertaining to individuals.
Let the King be strong,
Hating guile and wrong,
He that scorneth pride.
Fearing truth and right,
Feareth nought beside;

Ramune and Chocolate
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Ramune and Chocolate » Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:40 pm

Ramune and Chocolate wrote:Individuals have rights, nations/groups/states do not. Individuals have the right of self-determination, that is true, I also agree that preferably individuals should also be free to choose the providers of public service in a free market system. But states should not enforce monopoly over a certain ethnic group, which seems to be what you're implicitly accepting here.

The right of German people to live under German government is a right pertaining to individuals.

As irrelevant as "right to live under a criminal organization". The German government shouldn't exist in the first place, and neither do all governments. Individuals should be able to form or join voluntary governments as they wish--that is, the ones that rely on voluntary donations and do not steal lands.
Last edited by Ramune and Chocolate on Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Music

HMS Queen Elizabeth
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby HMS Queen Elizabeth » Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:10 pm

HMS Queen Elizabeth wrote:The right of German people to live under German government is a right pertaining to individuals.

As irrelevant as "right to live under a criminal organization". The German government shouldn't exist in the first place, and neither do all governments. Individuals should be able to form or join voluntary governments as they wish--that is, the ones that rely on voluntary donations and do not steal lands.

I agree that if we abolished all states this would not be an issue. And if we can't quite achieve that quite yet?
Let the King be strong,
Hating guile and wrong,
He that scorneth pride.
Fearing truth and right,
Feareth nought beside;

Luziyca
Post Czar

Founded: Nov 13, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Luziyca » Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:22 pm

Apparently, the Canadian government will be speaking up for the Rohingya.

While I approve of her intentions, I feel that this decision would probably be met with a lot of hostility among many Canadians, and will probably contribute to Mr. Scheer becoming Prime Minister in 2019 or so.
|||The Kingdom of Rwizikuru|||
Your feeble attempts to change the very nature of how time itself has been organized by mankind shall fall on barren ground and bear no fruit
WikiFacebookKylaris: the best region for eight years runningAbout meYouTubePolitical compass

Ramune and Chocolate
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Ramune and Chocolate » Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:49 pm

HMS Queen Elizabeth wrote:l
I agree that if we abolished all states this would not be an issue. And if we can't quite achieve that quite yet?

Then states must be pressured to concede freedom to individuals, to dispose their person and property as they see fit.

In this case, legitimate proprietors should certainly be able to claim their property from state confiscation. Their status to another state should be secondary issue to the property claim. Preferably in a non-ideal world one should be able to choose to financially support and rely on one criminal conspiracy or another if this does not entail aggressing on other individuals and their property, but once again this should be irrelevant on their claim of the property.
Last edited by Ramune and Chocolate on Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Music

Shrillland
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 12, 2010
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Shrillland » Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:34 pm

https://www.dailysabah.com/diplomacy/2017/09/16/first-lady-erdogan-pens-letter-to-world-leaders-wives-on-plight-of-rohingya-muslims

While I, of course, condemn what's happening in Myanmar, and agree with the sentiment of the First Lady's letter...does a Turkish first lady really have any right to talk to the rest of the world about the evils of persecution at this moment? Something about glass houses and rocks comes to mind for me.
How America Came to This, by Kowani: Racialised Politics, Ideological Media Gaslighting, and What It All Means For The Future
Plebiscite Plaza 2024
Confused by the names I use for House districts? Here's a primer!
In 1963, Doctor Who taught us all we need to know about politics when a cave woman said, "Old men see no further than tomorrow's meat".

Kubra
Post Marshal

Father Knows Best State

Postby Kubra » Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:32 pm

Kubra wrote: I'm not one to bash bringing politics by the end of the bayonet, it would have been grand of Napoleon to invade England and bring it into civilization proper, but in the Burmese case it mostly resulted in deepening ethnic division and capital outflow to the islands.

Tell me more about how immigration results in deep ethnic divisions and capital outflow Mr Trump.
If exported indian labour had been on proper employment footing with the local burmese, they probably would have got along quite well with each other. However, both would not get along particularly well with a particular group of tea-drinking imperialists. Could you perhaps guess which one?
“Atomic war is inevitable. It will destroy half of humanity: it is going to destroy immense human riches. It is very possible. The atomic war is going to provoke a true inferno on Earth. But it will not impede Communism.”
Comrade J. Posadas

HMS Queen Elizabeth
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby HMS Queen Elizabeth » Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:33 pm

Kubra wrote:
HMS Queen Elizabeth wrote:Tell me more about how immigration results in deep ethnic divisions and capital outflow Mr Trump.
If exported indian labour had been on proper employment footing with the local burmese, they probably would have got along quite well with each other. However, both would not get along particularly well with a particular group of tea-drinking imperialists. Could you perhaps guess which one?

The Japanese. Don't worry though, we got rid of 'em.
Let the King be strong,
Hating guile and wrong,
He that scorneth pride.
Fearing truth and right,
Feareth nought beside;

Kubra
Post Marshal

Father Knows Best State

Postby Kubra » Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:45 pm

Kubra wrote: If exported indian labour had been on proper employment footing with the local burmese, they probably would have got along quite well with each other. However, both would not get along particularly well with a particular group of tea-drinking imperialists. Could you perhaps guess which one?

The Japanese. Don't worry though, we got rid of 'em.
Ok, well, I'll admit that was a pretty witty riposte.
Comrade J. Posadas

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General