NATION

PASSWORD

The Women’s March in Danger.

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
Sharania
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 11, 2015
Ex-Nation

The Women’s March in Danger.

Postby Sharania » Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:12 pm

As some of you probably know, after the stunning “victory” of a candidate widely characterized as a fascist misogynist over what might have been America’s first female president, a lot of women had enough of this. Thanks to their efforts very soon there will be The Women’s March on Washington:

We believe that Women’s Rights are Human Rights and Human Rights are Women’s Rights. We must create a society in which women - including Black women, Native women, poor women, immigrant women, Muslim women, lesbian queer and trans women - are free and able to care for and nurture their families, however they are formed, in safe and healthy environments free from structural impediments.

Other important issues on their platform include:

- ENDING VIOLENCE.
Support increased accountability for perpetrators of police brutality and racial profiling. Also calls for the demilitarization of American law enforcement and an end to mass incarceration.

- REPRODUCTIVE RIGHTS.
Support access to safe, legal abortion and reproductive health care to demand the right to abortion for women of all incomes.

- LGBTQIA RIGHTS.
Gender-affirming identity documents for LGBTQ people.

- WORKER’S RIGHTS.
Calls unions “critical to a healthy and thriving economy” and aligns the march with movements for the rights of sex workers, farmworkers, and domestic workers.

- CIVIL RIGHTS.
- DISABILITY RIGHTS.
- IMMIGRANT RIGHTS.
“We believe migration is a human right and that no human being is illegal.”

- ENVIRONMENTAL JUSTICE.

All these issues are important for the vast majority of generic public – I mean, with women being 50+% of population and civil and workers rights affecting virtually anyone, that’s how I see it. Organizers have laid out an unapologetically radical, progressive vision for justice in America, placing the march in the context of other past and ongoing movements for equality.

Unfortunately, the March is facing real dangers even before it’s start. And I’m not talking about threats and stuff coming from supporters of Which Should Not Be Named here. No. Sadly, the danger comes from within the feminist movement itself.

The march started out as a general pro-women event that seemed to want to be everything to everyone, and in the process, set itself up to disappoint everyone: both apolitical women who just like marching and people who wanted to make a stronger statement.

When Planned Parenthood, Amnesty International, the NAACP, and other organizations with explicitly political agendas started coming aboard last month, it became clear that the march was planning on sacrificing mass appeal for the chance to use its hypervisibility in support of critical, if controversial, issues. Some white women have even decided not to attend the march because they were uncomfortable with discussions about race and privilege that arose on the march’s official Facebook page.

That’s just fine. And if some women decide they can’t get behind Medicaid-covered abortions, a humane immigration system, and police who answer for their crimes against people of color, the march won’t miss them. The leaders of the Women’s March should be applauded for taking an uncompromising stance on the most urgent political matters of our time, even if it means internal conflict among march participants or a diminished turnout. Now is not the time for uncritical mass appeal, and marches are terrible vehicles for equivocation.

Here are relevant parts from the NY Times article highlighting the controversy:

In Louisiana, the first state coordinator gave up her volunteer role in part because there were no minority women in leadership positions at that time.

“I got a lot of flak locally when I stepped down, from white women who said that I’m alienating a lot of white women,” said Candice Huber, a bookstore owner in New Orleans, who is white. “They said, ‘Why do you have to be so divisive?’”

In some ways, the discord is by design. Even as they are working to ensure a smooth and unified march next week, the national organizers said they made a deliberate decision to highlight the plight of minority and undocumented immigrant women and provoke uncomfortable discussions about race.

“This was an opportunity to take the conversation to the deep places,” said Linda Sarsour, a Muslim who heads the Arab American Association of New York and is one of four co-chairwomen of the national march. “Sometimes you are going to upset people.”

And at a time when a presidential candidate ran against political correctness and won — with half of white female voters supporting him — is this the time to tone down talk about race or to double down?

So, I ask you – what’s better? A broad platform plus vide inclusiveness or the laser like powerful forcefulness with voices ignored before brought in the fore for a change?

I'm really grateful to see they've firmed up the message and don't seem interested in watering it down. That'll go a long way to being helpful. I don't care if they talk about privileged white women or not; I care that, as far as human rights go, if it's acceptable to treat all women as true human beings with indelible rights, the white women of privilege will benefit by default. The reverse has not, historically, held true. Granted, the more intersectional the movements get, the better off they'll be for the future, but now is the time for a tight focus on the important issues.
Time for justice.
Veteran of the Resistance.

BLM
Pigs are treyf

Ashmoria
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 19, 2004
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Ashmoria » Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:16 pm

i don't think its in danger and i don't care if someone gets butthurt because the organizers are more progressive than they are.
whatever

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jul 01, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby USS Monitor » Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:31 pm

I think there's a difference between trying to be inclusive and trying to be provocative, and some of the organizers sound like they're on the wrong side of that line. Talking about issues that affect minorities is inclusive. Inviting minorities and organizations like NAACP to join your march is inclusive. Purposely starting arguments about race and being proud when you alienate people is not inclusive; it's provocative. That's not "taking the conversation deep places." That's trolling.
Don't take life so serious... it isn't permanent... RIP Dyakovo and Ashmoria
19th century steamships may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. In case of accidental ingestion, please seek immediate medical assistance.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།

Costa Fierro
Post Marshal

Founded: Dec 09, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Costa Fierro » Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:40 pm

Good. The more infighting occurs, the better.
"Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist." - George Carlin

Syfenq
Spokesperson

Founded: May 25, 2011
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Syfenq » Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:10 pm

USS Monitor wrote:I think there's a difference between trying to be inclusive and trying to be provocative, and some of the organizers sound like they're on the wrong side of that line. Talking about issues that affect minorities is inclusive. Inviting minorities and organizations like NAACP to join your march is inclusive. Purposely starting arguments about race and being proud when you alienate people is not inclusive; it's provocative. That's not "taking the conversation deep places." That's trolling.

Agreed. It is possible to incorporate racial justice within the larger movement for women's rights without trying to draw attention to race. Constantly bringing it up in every possible opportunity isn't going to sway people to your cause.
I still can't believe that Brazil lost to Germany 1:7. Copy and paste onto your sig if you were alive when this happened.

Successor state of Nouveau Yathrib (more on that here)
About This World | Factbooks and Dispatches | OOC Info | OOC: Why I'm still on NS | Public Relations | iiWiki

Historic Migration to Syfenq by Country | Languages of Syfenq (continued) | Q&A

"I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something.
And because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do the something that I can do."

-Edward Everett Hale

The Serbian Empire
Khan of Spam

Founded: Apr 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Serbian Empire » Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:20 pm

Ashmoria wrote:i don't think its in danger and i don't care if someone gets butthurt because the organizers are more progressive than they are.

I think it could alienate the moderate white voter towards the GOP.
LOVEWHOYOUARE~ WOMAN
Level 12 Myrmidon, Level ⑨ Tsundere, Level ✿ Hold My Flower
Bad Idea Purveyor
8 Values: https://8values.github.io/results.html?e=56.1&d=70.2&g=86.5&s=91.9
Political Compass: Economic -10.00 Authoritarian: -9.13
TG for Facebook if you want to friend me
Marissa, Goddess of Stratospheric Reach
preferred pronouns: Female ones
Primarily lesbian, but pansexual in nature

Engleberg
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 08, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Engleberg » Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:35 pm

I support equality for women and everything, but is this really necessary?
Umbrellya wrote:"You are literally the most unashamed German I've ever met."

Wiena wrote:"Engleberg you surely are the most savage guy in the whole game."

West Leas Oros 2 wrote:Anything Left of Center: *exists*
Engle: FUCKING REDS!

Union of Despotistan
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Nov 24, 2012
Father Knows Best State

Postby Union of Despotistan » Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:44 pm

Engleberg wrote:I support equality for women and everything, but is this really necessary?

No it's not.

It's just pissed off liberals that cant handle a defeat.
Gloriosa, vincemus
We will not let ourselves be ruled by another.
Unis, un jour; toujours!

Balkenreich
Senator

Founded: Sep 04, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Balkenreich » Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:45 pm

fucking hippies.
Mattis/Puller 2020
I don't gotta prove shit
American, full of vinegar and out of fucks to give.

Aclion
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 12, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Aclion » Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:00 pm

Engleberg wrote:I support equality for women and everything, but is this really necessary?

Of course. if you don't agree with all of those platforms you're obviously part of the War on Women™.
A popular Government, without popular information, or the means of acquiring it, is but a Prologue to a Farce or a Tragedy; or, perhaps both. - James Madison.

Katganistan
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Katganistan » Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:07 pm

What a surprise. Nasty comments from people threatened by women taking action and getting attention. :roll:

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Founded: Oct 07, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:10 pm

USS Monitor wrote:I think there's a difference between trying to be inclusive and trying to be provocative, and some of the organizers sound like they're on the wrong side of that line. Talking about issues that affect minorities is inclusive. Inviting minorities and organizations like NAACP to join your march is inclusive. Purposely starting arguments about race and being proud when you alienate people is not inclusive; it's provocative. That's not "taking the conversation deep places." That's trolling.

You stated it better than I could
Male, Jewish, lives somewhere in AZ, Disabled US Military Veteran, Oorah!, I'm GAY!
I'm agent #69 in the Gaystapo!
>The Sons of Adam: I'd crown myself monarch... cuz why not?
>>Dumb Ideologies: Why not turn yourself into a penguin and build an igloo at the centre of the Earth?
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:12 pm

Katganistan wrote:What a surprise. Nasty comments from people threatened by women taking action and getting attention. :roll:

Its like flies with honey. To bad these things don't taste like vinegar to those flies.
Male, Jewish, lives somewhere in AZ, Disabled US Military Veteran, Oorah!, I'm GAY!
>>Dumb Ideologies: Why not turn yourself into a penguin and build an igloo at the centre of the Earth?
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Prusselanden
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 29, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Prusselanden » Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:14 pm

I say it'll be carried out anyways. Sisterhood is strong. Trust in the sisterhood. Plus we can have guys there too.
"It is a joke, the belief that humans are superior to our animal brethren. We are slower, weaker, less beautiful and intelligent than our counterparts yet we rule the world. Or do we?"-Prusselanden
Donald Trump want to destroy nature? No worries, we have Theodore Fucking Roosevelt!
Pro-life, Pro-choice: I'm nuetral.
Save our Swamps! Save our Bees!
I care about the environment because I want to let my children see this beautiful planet

Balkenreich
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Balkenreich » Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:15 pm

fucking idiots.
Mattis/Puller 2020
I don't gotta prove shit

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jul 01, 2015

Postby USS Monitor » Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:16 pm

Union of Despotistan wrote:

No it's not.

Cos conservatives never complained about losing to Obama... :roll:
Don't take life so serious... it isn't permanent... RIP Dyakovo and Ashmoria
19th century steamships may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. In case of accidental ingestion, please seek immediate medical assistance.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Postby Cannot think of a name » Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:16 pm

That's a misleading title. Seems like it's "Women's March goes through phase every large scale movement goes through to refine its identity and purpose", not an eyeball grabber but more accurate.
"...I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods of direct action;" who paternalistically feels he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by the myth of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait until a "more convenient season." -MLK Jr.

United Marxist Nations
Post Czar

Founded: Dec 02, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby United Marxist Nations » Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:16 pm

Considering their pro-abortion stance, I will be glad if it falters.
The Kievan People wrote: United Marxist Nations: A prayer for every soul, a plan for every economy and a waifu for every man. Solid.

Eastern Orthodox Catechumen. Religious communitarian with Sorelian, Marxist, and Traditionalist influences. Sympathies toward Sunni Islam. All flags/avatars are chosen for aesthetic or humor purposes only
An open mind is like a fortress with its gates unbarred and unguarded.
St. John Chrysostom wrote:A comprehended God is no God.

Luminesa
Khan of Spam

Founded: Dec 09, 2014

Postby Luminesa » Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:17 pm

Obviously the article that OP posted is quite biased, and also incredibly aggressive in tone. Not saying anything about the OP. They just posted the article. But what annoys me is that rather than constructively asking the people who dropped-out, "Hey? Why did you drop-out?" They immediately attack them solely on the basis of their skin color, and make it seem as though they do not care about their cause. This does not build an organization. It breaks it down. This constant "ATTACK ATTACK ATTACK" mentality that comes from many feminists (not all, obviously, there are many intelligent and rational women who are feminists) only serves to divide, and what they are accusing the woman who stepped down of doing, they are doing themselves.
Last edited by Luminesa on Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Catholic, pro-life, and proud of it. I prefer my debates on religion, politics, and sports with some coffee and a little Aquinas and G.K. CHESTERTON here and there. :3
Unofficial #1 fan of the Who Dat Nation.
"I'm just a singer of simple songs, I'm not a real political man. I watch CNN, but I'm not sure I can tell you the difference in Iraq and Iran. But I know Jesus, and I talk to God, and I remember this from when I was young:
faith, hope and love are some good things He gave us...
and the greatest is love."
-Alan Jackson
Help the Ukrainian people, here's some sources!
Help bring home First Nation girls! Now with more ways to help!
Jesus loves all of His children in Eastern Europe - pray for peace.
Pray for Ukraine, Wear Sunflowers In Your Hair

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:18 pm

Cannot think of a name wrote:That's a misleading title. Seems like it's "Women's March goes through phase every large scale movement goes through to refine its identity and purpose", not an eyeball grabber but more accurate.

But but muh page views
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Balkenreich
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Balkenreich » Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:19 pm

Thermodolia wrote:
Cannot think of a name wrote:That's a misleading title. Seems like it's "Women's March goes through phase every large scale movement goes through to refine its identity and purpose", not an eyeball grabber but more accurate.

But but muh page views

Muh intersectionaluty
Mattis/Puller 2020
I don't gotta prove shit

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Postby Cannot think of a name » Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:19 pm

USS Monitor wrote:
Union of Despotistan wrote:
No it's not.

Cos conservatives never complained about losing to Obama... :roll:

Remember, nothing you remember ever really happened. Every day is a brand new day with a brand new history just a tweet away.
"...I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods of direct action;" who paternalistically feels he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by the myth of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait until a "more convenient season." -MLK Jr.

Aclion
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 12, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Aclion » Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:21 pm

Katganistan wrote:What a surprise. Nasty comments from people threatened by women taking action and getting attention. :roll:

If these people spoke for women Hillary would be president.
Last edited by Aclion on Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A popular Government, without popular information, or the means of acquiring it, is but a Prologue to a Farce or a Tragedy; or, perhaps both. - James Madison.

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Postby Cannot think of a name » Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:22 pm

Thermodolia wrote:

But but muh page views

Gotta mainline those clicks...

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:24 pm

Aclion wrote:

If these people spoke for women Hillary would be president.

Did you forget about pussygate? If that couldn't deter women from voting Trump just about nothing short of Trump raping a six year old on live tv would have and even then some would still be unmoved. Party diehards are scary
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General