NATION

PASSWORD

Dylann Roof sentenced to death

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Chestaan
Negotiator

Founded: Sep 30, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Chestaan » Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:18 pm

Thermodolia wrote:
Novus America wrote:
Before. AND after. The standard should apply for the the death penalty to be given before it is first handed down. Then it would be subject to review de novo on appeal.

Sounds good to me. But how many appeals should they get?

That depends, how many innocent deaths would you be willing to accept? 1 in every 100,000 would require a longer appeals process than 1 in every 100.
Council Communist
TG me if you want to chat, especially about economics, you can never have enough discussions on economics.Especially game theory :)
Economic Left/Right: -9.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.62

Getting the Guillotine

The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp
Post Czar

Founded: Dec 18, 2013
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp » Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:19 pm

Thermodolia wrote:
The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp wrote:
Petting a puppy = right

abusing children = wrong

What if that puppy doesn't want to be pet?

Also the world isn't so black and white

What kinda of puppy doesn't want to be pet?

But your heart always knows what's right.
It's not about win or lose, it's the path you choose.
Let the journey begin,
Pokémon!

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Founded: Oct 07, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:20 pm

Chestaan wrote:
Thermodolia wrote:Sounds good to me. But how many appeals should they get?

That depends, how many innocent deaths would you be willing to accept? 1 in every 100,000 would require a longer appeals process than 1 in every 100.

1 in every 100 is enough to live with
Male, Jewish, lives somewhere in AZ, Disabled US Military Veteran, Oorah!, I'm GAY!
I'm agent #69 in the Gaystapo!
>The Sons of Adam: I'd crown myself monarch... cuz why not?
>>Dumb Ideologies: Why not turn yourself into a penguin and build an igloo at the centre of the Earth?
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:21 pm

Thermodolia wrote:What if that puppy doesn't want to be pet?

Let the journey begin,
Pokémon!

Abused puppies for one
Male, Jewish, lives somewhere in AZ, Disabled US Military Veteran, Oorah!, I'm GAY!
>>Dumb Ideologies: Why not turn yourself into a penguin and build an igloo at the centre of the Earth?
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Southerly Gentleman
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 07, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Southerly Gentleman » Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:21 pm

Thermodolia wrote:
Southerly Gentleman wrote:then no one has any reason to regard your opinion on a morally-charged topic.

I'm not the one replying to myself now am I?

What are you talking about?
電光石火Lightning fast
For: RAGE, hypercapitalism, national fragmentation, city-states, transhumanism
Against: Feminism, identity politics, gun control, liberal-progressivism

Valaran
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: May 25, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Valaran » Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:22 pm

Can't say that I'm surprised this result was reached.

As to the OP's question, my opposition to capital punishment is on principle, not circumstance. My loathing for this man's actions doesn't mean that I agree with the death penalty. But a court of law has reached a decision, and thus it is now a legal mandate; the Jury should not 'be ashamed' (as the OP puts it) for coming to this decision, given they were operating entirely within the bounds of the law and there was a fair judicial process (to my knowledge). My opposition against capital punishment is against the law's existence, not against its fair application (perhaps too nuanced a distinction, but one I feel is worth some merit).
I used to run an alliance, and a region. Not that it matters now.
Archeuland and Baughistan wrote:"I don't always nice, but when I do, I build it up." Valaran
Valaran wrote:To be fair though.... I was judging on coolness factor, the most important criteria in any war.
Zoboyizakoplayoklot wrote:Val: NS's resident mindless zombie
Planita wrote:you just set the OP on fire

The Realm of Lordaeron
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 14, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby The Realm of Lordaeron » Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:22 pm

There is no way that stop innocent people being killed by the death penalty. The only way to completely prevent it is to abolish it all together. That's why i oppose the death penalty -- because it kills too many innocent people. 10% of those executed by the State have been later exonerated between 1976-2015. 176 innocent people executed for our perverse sense of justice.

Real justice would involve abolishing this antiquated punishment.
Your sound card works perfectly.
Enjoying yourself?
It doesn't get any better than this.

The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp
Post Czar

Founded: Dec 18, 2013
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Derpy Democratic Republic Of Herp » Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:22 pm

Thermodolia wrote:

Let the journey begin,
Pokémon!

Abused puppies for one

And abusing puppers is a bad action.

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:23 pm

Southerly Gentleman wrote:
Thermodolia wrote:I'm not the one replying to myself now am I?

What are you talking about?

If people have no reason to regard my opinion why are they responding to me? I'm not forcing them to do so, they must have some regard for my opinion
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Salus Maior
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 16, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Salus Maior » Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:24 pm

Southerly Gentleman wrote:Which positions? The only one which contradicts that is pro-abortion, a stance that I've rather turned away from since making my sig.

fuck is this, Minority Report? You can't justify killing someone because they might take more lives in the future. Maybe they will, and then again, maybe they won't. Uncertainty is endemic to justice.

Oh, then I would advise that you change that to avoid future confusion xP

Dylan Roof believes his killing was justified, because of all the "atrocities" African-Americans have done to white people. He's a radical, an extremist, not unlike any terrorist from Al-Qaeda or ISIS. It's safe to assume that someone who holds those views, and has acted on those views, is dangerous.
Traditionalist Catholic, Constitutional Monarchist, Habsburg Nostalgic, Distributist, Disillusioned Millennial.

"In any case we clearly see....That some opportune remedy must be found quickly for the misery and wretchedness pressing so unjustly on the majority of the working class...it has come to pass that working men have been surrendered, isolated and helpless, to the hardheartedness of employers and the greed of unchecked competition." -Pope Leo XIII, Rerum Novarum

Katganistan
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Katganistan » Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:25 pm

Oklahoman State wrote:http://www.cnn.com/2017/01/10/us/dylann-roof-trial/index.html

Dylann roof has today been sentenced to death for his activities towards blacks.

No, he was sentenced to death for 9 counts of premeditated murder.

Oklahoman State wrote:I personally believe his death penalty should be immediately reversed. the Jury should be ashamed of themselves. The death penalty is not appropriate.

How is it not appropriate to levy the death sentence on a mass-murderer who is very open about the lack of regret for his act, his insistence that he felt he had to do it, and his only argument against the death penalty being he'd rather life imprisonment, if only one juror would change their mind?

Oklahoman State wrote:Regardless, he has purportedly admitted some sort of guilt for this accused activity, and so the Jury subsequently found him guilty and sentenced him to death today.

He said he did it and he didn't regret it. How is that admitting guilt?

Oklahoman State wrote:Do you think Dylann Roof should have his sentence pardoned? How do you think this bodes for White-Black relations? How do you feel about his purported activities and subsequent retaliation?

Fuck no I don't think he should be pardoned. He is an admitted pre-meditated murderer of 9 people who doesn't regret it.

What do you mean about how it bodes for White-Black relations? What, should we appease similarly-minded murderous fucks by letting them get away with murder, and pretending it's ok to kill people if they're black?

He wouldn't deserve a different sentence if all his victims were white, yellow, pink, plaid, polka-dotted or purple. The unfortunate part is that it will probably take 20 years to remove this waste of air from existence -- whereas it took him mere minutes to murder nine people. After his three visits to the church to scope it out, planning it, getting the guns and ammo, and executing it, I mean.
Last edited by Katganistan on Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gauthier
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Gauthier » Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:26 pm

Salus Maior wrote:
Southerly Gentleman wrote:Which positions? The only one which contradicts that is pro-abortion, a stance that I've rather turned away from since making my sig.

fuck is this, Minority Report? You can't justify killing someone because they might take more lives in the future. Maybe they will, and then again, maybe they won't. Uncertainty is endemic to justice.

Dylan Roof believes his killing was justified, because of all the "atrocities" African-Americans have done to white people. He's a radical, an extremist, not unlike any terrorist from Al-Qaeda or ISIS. It's safe to assume that someone who holds those views, and has acted on those views, is dangerous.

And by "atrocities against white people" he means "Hey where da white women at?"
Crimes committed by Muslims will be a pan-Islamic plot and proof of Islam's inherent evil. On the other hand crimes committed by non-Muslims will merely be the acts of loners who do not represent their belief system at all.
The probability of one's participation in homosexual acts is directly proportional to one's public disdain and disgust for homosexuals.
If a political figure makes an accusation of wrongdoing without evidence, odds are probable that the accuser or an associate thereof has in fact committed the very same act, possibly to a worse degree.
Where is your God-Emperor now?

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Founded: Aug 20, 2010
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Ethel mermania » Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:27 pm

He deserves it, hopefully sooner rather than later.
https://www.hvst.com/posts/the-clash-of ... s-wl2TQBpY

The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.
--S. Huntington

The most fundamental problem of politics is not the control of wickedness but the limitation of righteousness. 

--H. Kissenger

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:28 pm

The Realm of Lordaeron wrote:There is no way that stop innocent people being killed by the death penalty. The only way to completely prevent it is to abolish it all together. That's why i oppose the death penalty -- because it kills too many innocent people. 10% of those executed by the State have been later exonerated between 1976-2015. 176 innocent people executed for our perverse sense of justice.

Is that 10% made up of those who have been executed and later found innocent or is made up of those who where sentenced to death and were later commuted?

Also I could live with a 1% chance of some innocent getting executed.
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Gauthier
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Gauthier » Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:28 pm

Ethel mermania wrote:He deserves it, hopefully sooner rather than later.

It'll be later. Automatic appeal.
Crimes committed by Muslims will be a pan-Islamic plot and proof of Islam's inherent evil. On the other hand crimes committed by non-Muslims will merely be the acts of loners who do not represent their belief system at all.
The probability of one's participation in homosexual acts is directly proportional to one's public disdain and disgust for homosexuals.
If a political figure makes an accusation of wrongdoing without evidence, odds are probable that the accuser or an associate thereof has in fact committed the very same act, possibly to a worse degree.

Chestaan
Negotiator

Founded: Sep 30, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Chestaan » Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:28 pm

Salus Maior wrote:

America spends an absolutely ridiculous amount on prisons. Are you trying to say that they can't use some of that to prevent a high risk prisoner from getting out? Now I'm no fan of Gitmo but if we're that worried about him then send him there.
Council Communist
TG me if you want to chat, especially about economics, you can never have enough discussions on economics.Especially game theory :)
Economic Left/Right: -9.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.62

Getting the Guillotine

Valaran
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Valaran » Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:29 pm

Salus Maior wrote:

The difference between Roof and, say, an IS member is that Roof is in confinement, and without the ability to inflict more harm; this makes him as a person distinctly less dangerous. His ideas might be dangerous too, but we generally don't prosecute (or execute) someone on having dangerous ideas.
Last edited by Valaran on Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Archeuland and Baughistan wrote:"I don't always nice, but when I do, I build it up." Valaran
Valaran wrote:To be fair though.... I was judging on coolness factor, the most important criteria in any war.

Engleberg
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 08, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Engleberg » Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:29 pm

Major-Tom wrote:
Ifreann wrote:Life sentences are a thing.

Sure....but a shot to the arm seems more effective.

Or go to classic techniques - hanging, firing squad, the good ole' French guillotine...
Umbrellya wrote:"You are literally the most unashamed German I've ever met."

Wiena wrote:"Engleberg you surely are the most savage guy in the whole game."

West Leas Oros 2 wrote:Anything Left of Center: *exists*
Engle: FUCKING REDS!

Trotza
Minister

Founded: Feb 03, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Trotza » Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:30 pm

The Realm of Lordaeron wrote:There is no way that stop innocent people being killed by the death penalty. The only way to completely prevent it is to abolish it all together. That's why i oppose the death penalty -- because it kills too many innocent people. 10% of those executed by the State have been later exonerated between 1976-2015. 176 innocent people executed for our perverse sense of justice.

Then we'll just have innocent people stuck in prison for their entire lives. Doesn't solve much.

On the topic, my only qualm is that with the convoluted process it will go through, it'll cost more in legal fees than it would to keep him in prison for life. Of course that could be changed by shortening the process, at least in this particular case. And I always did think the guillotine has remained the most effective method of execution in terms of cost and practical efficiency, injection has just added another layer of possible confusion to the batch. I wouldn't be opposed to it being used here.

Thermodolia
Post Kaiser

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Thermodolia » Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:31 pm

Engleberg wrote:
Major-Tom wrote:
Sure....but a shot to the arm seems more effective.

Or go to classic techniques - hanging, firing squad, the good ole' French guillotine...

Dropped from a helicopter is another choice
Last edited by Thermodolia on Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Click for Da Funies

RIP Dya

Rovikstead
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Dec 05, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Rovikstead » Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:32 pm

Dylann Roof deserved no less than the death penalty.
Last edited by Rovikstead on Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Author of Convention on International Oil Spills, A Convention on Freshwater Shortages
Co-Author of Reducing Food Waste
Former Minister of Culture in TEP
The Glorious Third Reign of Templedom wrote:** RED FLAG ** . ** RING CHURCH BELLS ** . ** BESTIALITY ALERT ** . ** CHRISTIANS TAKE COVER **

Xadufell
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 10, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Xadufell » Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:32 pm

Thermodolia wrote:
Petting a puppy = right

abusing children = wrong

What if that puppy doesn't want to be pet?

*Pets puppy*

ISTHATSEXUALHARASSMENTISTHATWHATYOUDIDWHENYOUDIDTHATTOME?
28 Year old autistic twat.
!!!WE MADE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN!!!
Pro: Right Wing, Israel, The Donald, Guns, Free Speech, Capitalism, Switzerland, Germany, Britain leaving the EU, TEMPORARY ban on Muslims until everything gets sorted out, Republicans, Russia.
Anti: Hillary, Sanders, Democrats, Radical Islam, ISIS, Illegal Immigration, BLM (Because they obviously do.), Obama, MSNBC, Left Wing, Radical Anything (Virtually), Turkey, Trump Protesters who have no valid points.

Grinning Dragon wrote:Why would anyone waste a good bullet on the likes of CNN anyway? I don't understand why anyone would get that worked up over a bunch of dipshits, christ if their shit show is getting you that worked up, just turn the damn thing off and go for a walk/run/ride.

Valaran
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Valaran » Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:34 pm

Trotza wrote:

Then we'll just have innocent people stuck in prison for their entire lives. Doesn't solve much.

The idea behind this is that, if he is later found to be innocent (which does happen), we can then release him; this can't be done if he is dead. Life imprisonment allows for the possibility of correcting a mistake, though I don't think anyone is saying that it is an ideal replacement.

On the topic, my only qualm is that with the convoluted process it will go through, it'll cost more in legal fees than it would to keep him in prison for life. Of course that could be changed by shortening the process, at least in this particular case. And I always did think the guillotine has remained the most effective method of execution in terms of cost and practical efficiency, injection has just added another layer of possible confusion to the batch. I wouldn't be opposed to it being used here.

On the whole however, I agree with points like these. The possible innocence argument only works in some cases, and isn't the most compelling argument against the death penalty.

Engleberg
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 08, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Engleberg » Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:34 pm

Thermodolia wrote:
Engleberg wrote:

Dropped from a helicopter

I thought that was reserved for those of the left-leaning political thought and enemies of the state?
Umbrellya wrote:"You are literally the most unashamed German I've ever met."

Wiena wrote:"Engleberg you surely are the most savage guy in the whole game."

West Leas Oros 2 wrote:Anything Left of Center: *exists*
Engle: FUCKING REDS!

Gauthier
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Gauthier » Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:34 pm

Rovikstead wrote:Dylann Roof deserved no less than the death penalty. He doesn't deserve to waste American tax money by wasting away in a cell, eating food, and using other services paid for by the American people.

Problem being if Roof doesn't get the due process of automatic appeal then it'll open up a dumpster fire of legal messes.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General