NATION

PASSWORD

US General Election Thread III: Clinton vs. Trump

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Who Do You Support in the 2016 Election?

Hillary Rodham Clinton (Democrat)
37%
Donald J. Trump (Republican)
27%
Gary Johnson (Libertarian)
16%
Jill Stein (Green)
10%
Undecided
4%
Other
6%

Total votes : 1013

PaNTuXIa
Senator

Founded: Feb 26, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby PaNTuXIa » Mon Aug 08, 2016 12:56 pm

Ngelmish wrote:
Pantuxia wrote:
She tried to atheist-shame Bernie to lower his chances in Kentucky and WV. This election was decided from Day 1. Her leaked emails showed cooperation between DWS and key members of the media and DNC staff in order to favor Hillary. They had editors come in and edit Reuters articles. I'd call that a rigged election.

No member of the media ever asked Sanders about his religious beliefs or lack thereof. There was no public attempt to play gotcha with his religious beliefs. What there was is one email exchange between two lower-level staffers having a conversation about beliefs they are politically entitled to, but which were professionally unethical in this context. Those people are all now fired, it should also be noted.

As for the alleged coordination between the DNC and the media, that doesn't demonstrate that outcomes were changed. Bernie Sanders was never in striking distances of winning the a majority of pledged delegates, therefore never in striking distance of winning the nomination. This was true, incidentally, even after he overwhelmingly blew Clinton out in New Hampshire and the media/DNC didn't swoop in to save her campaign. Sanders did that himself, by choosing to largely write off the south.

Finally even if your allegations here were proven true, that still wouldn't be evidence that Clinton rigs elections. It would, at most, be evidence that DWS ineffectively tried to put her thumb on the scale in one election.

Now, if you want to complain about DNC bias, which was certainly present, but not in the fundamentally illegal way you've suggested, complain about Larry Lessig who tried running for president for a few weeks, was told he would get the accreditation to get on the debate stage and then never gotten back to.

Bernie was asked many times what his religious beliefs were. Perhaps "rigging elections" was inaccurate. But high-level members of her staff did cooperate with the media and DNC.
I support Open Borders for Israel.
United Marxist Nations wrote:Anime has ruined my life.

The Empire of Pretantia wrote:
PaNTuXIa wrote:>swedish
>conservatism

Islamic nations tend to be right wing.

PaNTuXIa
Senator

Founded: Feb 26, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby PaNTuXIa » Mon Aug 08, 2016 12:58 pm

Blakk Metal wrote:Trump's Nowcast is down to 4.7%. What happened?

Khan. If Khan's dead son had just been another soldier, it wouldn't have been such a big deal, but Khan's son died while protecting his fellow soldiers. That is truly honorable, and I usually hesitate to call the military honorable.
I support Open Borders for Israel.
United Marxist Nations wrote:Anime has ruined my life.

The Empire of Pretantia wrote:
PaNTuXIa wrote:>swedish
>conservatism

Islamic nations tend to be right wing.

Soldati Senza Confini
Post Kaiser

Founded: Mar 11, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Soldati Senza Confini » Mon Aug 08, 2016 1:01 pm

And in a turn of events, even top GOP national security officials do not like Donald Trump's approach to Foreign Policy and Domestic Policy.

Fifty of the nation’s most senior Republican national security officials, many of them former top aides or cabinet members for President George W. Bush, have signed a letter declaring that Donald J. Trump “lacks the character, values and experience” to be president and “would put at risk our country’s national security and well-being.”

Mr. Trump, the officials warn, “would be the most reckless president in American history.”

The letter says Mr. Trump would weaken the United States’ moral authority and questions his knowledge of and belief in the Constitution. It says he has “demonstrated repeatedly that he has little understanding” of the nation’s “vital national interests, its complex diplomatic challenges, its indispensable alliances and the democratic values” on which American policy should be based. And it laments that “Mr. Trump has shown no interest in educating himself.”

“None of us will vote for Donald Trump,” the letter states, though it notes later that many Americans “have doubts about Hillary Clinton, as do many of us.”

Among the most prominent signatories are Michael V. Hayden, a former director of both the C.I.A. and the National Security Agency; John D. Negroponte, who served as the first director of national intelligence and then deputy secretary of state; and Robert B. Zoellick, another former deputy secretary of state, United States trade representive and, until 2012, president of the World Bank. Two former secretaries of homeland security, Tom Ridge and Michael Chertoff, also signed, as did Eric S. Edelman, who served as Vice President Dick Cheney’s national security adviser and as a top aide to Robert M. Gates when he was secretary of defense.

Robert Blackwill and James Jeffrey, two key strategists in Mr. Bush’s National Security Council, and William H. Taft IV, a former deputy secretary of defense and ambassador to NATO, also signed.

The letter underscores the continuing rupture in the Republican Party, but particularly within its national security establishment. Many of those signing it had declined to add their names to a similar open letter released in March. But a number said in recent interviews that they changed their minds once they heard Mr. Trump invite Russia to hack into Mrs. Clinton’s email server — a sarcastic remark, he said later — and say that he would check to see how much NATO members contributed to the alliance before sending forces to help stave off a Russian attack.

Yet the signatories are unlikely to impress Mr. Trump or the largely lesser-known foreign policy team he has assembled around him: He has said throughout his campaign that he intends to upend Republican foreign policy orthodoxy on everything from trade to Russia. And many of the aides who signed the letter were active in developing the plan to invade Iraq or managing its aftermath, which Mr. Trump has described as a “disaster.”

A spokeswoman for Mr. Trump did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Missing from the signatories are any of the living Republican former secretaries of state: Henry Kissinger, George P. Shultz, James A. Baker III, Colin L. Powell and Condoleezza Rice.

Mr. Trump met with Mr. Kissinger and Mr. Baker several months ago, and “I came away with a lot of knowledge,” he told The New York Times in a July 20 interview. But neither of the two — who represent different foreign policy approaches within the party — has said if he will endorse Mr. Trump.
Soldati senza confini: Better than an iPod in shuffle more with 20,000 songs.
Tekania wrote:Welcome to NSG, where informed opinions get to bump-heads with ignorant ideology under the pretense of an equal footing.

"When it’s a choice of putting food on the table, or thinking about your morals, it’s easier to say you’d think about your morals, but only if you’ve never faced that decision." - Anastasia Richardson

Current Goal: Flesh out nation factbook.

Saiwania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 30, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Saiwania » Mon Aug 08, 2016 1:01 pm

It is South Carolina and Missouri getting close to turning blue in addition to Arizona and Georgia being in jeopardy.
Sith Acolyte
Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken!

Eol Sha
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 12, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Eol Sha » Mon Aug 08, 2016 1:01 pm

Donald Trump.

Seriously, though, since 538 generally gives recent polls more weight than older polls, it could be any number of things that Trump has said and done. And as he piles one controversy on top of another, his chances of winning get lower and lower. Especially since the Clinton campaign is starting to pump out more and more ads that excoriate Trump and praise her now that the conventions are past.

Death by a thousand cuts, really.
Last edited by Eol Sha on Mon Aug 08, 2016 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You'd better believe I'm a bitter Bernie Sanders supporter. The Dems fucked up and fucked up hard. Hopefully they'll learn that neoliberalism and maintaining the status quo isn't the way to win this election or any other one. I doubt they will, though.

"What's the number one method of achieving civil rights in America? Don't scare the white folks." ~ Eol Sha

Praise be to C-SPAN - Democrats Should Listen to Sanders - How I Voted on November 8, 2016 - Trump's Foreign Policy: Do Stupid Shit - Trump's Clock is Ticking

Blakk Metal
Negotiator

Founded: Jun 07, 2012
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Blakk Metal » Mon Aug 08, 2016 1:01 pm

Pantuxia wrote:

Khan. If Khan's dead son had just been another soldier, it wouldn't have been such a big deal, but Khan's son died while protecting his fellow soldiers. That is truly honorable, and I usually hesitate to call the military honorable.

No, I mean what happened between yesterday and today. Yesterday it was 8.2%.

The Romulan Republic
Postmaster-General

Founded: May 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby The Romulan Republic » Mon Aug 08, 2016 1:02 pm

Pantuxia wrote:

The Kahn story, for sure.

Also, the difference in quality between the two major parties' conventions, Trump's initial refusal to endorse McCain and Ryan, the tide of Republican defections from Trump, and the ties between Trump and Russia.

Trump is crashing and burning under the weight of his own bigoted idiocy.
"Our progress in degeneracy appears to me to be pretty rapid. As a nation, we began by declaring that "all men are created equal." We now practically read it "all men are created equal, except negroes" When the Know-Nothings get control, it will read "all men are created equal, except negroes, and foreigners, and Catholics." When it comes to this I should prefer emigrating to some country where they make no pretence of loving liberty -- to Russia, for instance, where despotism can be taken pure, and without the base alloy of hypocracy." - President Abraham Lincoln.

The Romulan Republic
Postmaster-General

Founded: May 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby The Romulan Republic » Mon Aug 08, 2016 1:02 pm

Blakk Metal wrote:
Pantuxia wrote:Khan. If Khan's dead son had just been another soldier, it wouldn't have been such a big deal, but Khan's son died while protecting his fellow soldiers. That is truly honorable, and I usually hesitate to call the military honorable.

No, I mean what happened between yesterday and today. Yesterday it was 8.2%.

More Republican defections and some new polls coming in, maybe?
"Our progress in degeneracy appears to me to be pretty rapid. As a nation, we began by declaring that "all men are created equal." We now practically read it "all men are created equal, except negroes" When the Know-Nothings get control, it will read "all men are created equal, except negroes, and foreigners, and Catholics." When it comes to this I should prefer emigrating to some country where they make no pretence of loving liberty -- to Russia, for instance, where despotism can be taken pure, and without the base alloy of hypocracy." - President Abraham Lincoln.

Ngelmish
Minister

Founded: Dec 06, 2009
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Ngelmish » Mon Aug 08, 2016 1:02 pm

Pantuxia wrote:
Ngelmish wrote:
No member of the media ever asked Sanders about his religious beliefs or lack thereof. There was no public attempt to play gotcha with his religious beliefs. What there was is one email exchange between two lower-level staffers having a conversation about beliefs they are politically entitled to, but which were professionally unethical in this context. Those people are all now fired, it should also be noted.

As for the alleged coordination between the DNC and the media, that doesn't demonstrate that outcomes were changed. Bernie Sanders was never in striking distances of winning the a majority of pledged delegates, therefore never in striking distance of winning the nomination. This was true, incidentally, even after he overwhelmingly blew Clinton out in New Hampshire and the media/DNC didn't swoop in to save her campaign. Sanders did that himself, by choosing to largely write off the south.

Finally even if your allegations here were proven true, that still wouldn't be evidence that Clinton rigs elections. It would, at most, be evidence that DWS ineffectively tried to put her thumb on the scale in one election.

Now, if you want to complain about DNC bias, which was certainly present, but not in the fundamentally illegal way you've suggested, complain about Larry Lessig who tried running for president for a few weeks, was told he would get the accreditation to get on the debate stage and then never gotten back to.

Bernie was asked many times what his religious beliefs were. Perhaps "rigging elections" was inaccurate. But high-level members of her staff did cooperate with the media and DNC.

Not in a high profile debate. Not in most of the interviews that he gave. Not by Clinton staffers, DNC staffers or unethical journalists with a political outcome in mind and an axe to grind.

I understand that you have a particular objection to the way that Bernie Sanders and his candidacy was treated at times in this primary, but he successfully gained each and every time something improper, or with the appearance of impropriety happened, to the extent that many of his supporters are to this day insisting that a conspiracy to "atheist-shame" him actually happened rather than being discussed by two people and never acted on.

I would be more impressed by your skepticism towards the DNC if you were outraged on the behalf of the candidacies of Larry Lessig, Jim Webb, Martin O'Malley and Lincoln Chafee all of whom undeniably took a much bigger hit from any of the bias at the DNC than the Sanders campaign ever did.
Last edited by Ngelmish on Mon Aug 08, 2016 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Neutraligon
Game Moderator

Founded: Oct 01, 2011
New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Mon Aug 08, 2016 1:03 pm

Pantuxia wrote:
Galloism wrote:You must give a source for this.

Her DNC rigging? She may have not rigged it herself, but DWS did.

DWS is not Clinton.
If you want to call me by a nickname, call me Gon...or NS Batman.
Mod stuff: One Stop Rules Shop | Reppy's Sig Workshop | Getting Help Request
Just A Little though

Neutraligon
Game Moderator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Mon Aug 08, 2016 1:05 pm

Pantuxia wrote:
Ngelmish wrote:

I am unsure what is wrong with cooperating with the media and the DNC. Please be specific as to what is wrong with that.
Just A Little though

Eol Sha
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Eol Sha » Mon Aug 08, 2016 1:06 pm

Eol Sha wrote:

Donald Trump.

Seriously, though, since 538 generally gives recent polls more weight than older polls, it could be any number of things that Trump has said and done. And as he piles one controversy on top of another, his chances of winning get lower and lower. Especially since the Clinton campaign is starting to pump out more and more ads that excoriate Trump and praise her now that the conventions are past.

Death by a thousand cuts, really.

538 has an explanation.
You'd better believe I'm a bitter Bernie Sanders supporter. The Dems fucked up and fucked up hard. Hopefully they'll learn that neoliberalism and maintaining the status quo isn't the way to win this election or any other one. I doubt they will, though.

"What's the number one method of achieving civil rights in America? Don't scare the white folks." ~ Eol Sha

Praise be to C-SPAN - Democrats Should Listen to Sanders - How I Voted on November 8, 2016 - Trump's Foreign Policy: Do Stupid Shit - Trump's Clock is Ticking

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Founded: Aug 20, 2005
Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Mon Aug 08, 2016 1:06 pm

Neutraligon wrote:
The United Territories of Providence wrote:
This Black Church endorsed Donald Trump

I'm pretty sure both of these are against the law. But are they? I have mixed feelings about churches being tax exempt, but I don't know that they shouldn't be able to endorse a candidate if they want to. Religion is inherently political.

If they wish to be involved in politics by directly endorsing a candidate they cannot be tax-exempt; to do otherwise would be to violate the first amendment.

No, it's not a violation of the first amendment. Wrong. Bad Neutraligon, bad!

It's a violation of the requirements laid out in section 501(c)3 subpart b of the internal revenue code.
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
The Parkus Empire: Being serious on NSG is like wearing a suit to a nude beach.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Mon Aug 08, 2016 1:07 pm

Neutraligon wrote:
Pantuxia wrote:Her DNC rigging? She may have not rigged it herself, but DWS did.

DWS is not Clinton.

Have you ever seen them both at the same place at the same time?
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.

Neutraligon
Game Moderator

New York Times Democracy

Postby Neutraligon » Mon Aug 08, 2016 1:08 pm

Galloism wrote:
Neutraligon wrote:
If they wish to be involved in politics by directly endorsing a candidate they cannot be tax-exempt; to do otherwise would be to violate the first amendment.

No, it's not a violation of the first amendment. Wrong. Bad Neutraligon, bad!

It's a violation of the requirements laid out in section 501(c)3 subpart b of the internal revenue code.

And the reason that code exists for churches is due to the first amendment. To allow a church to support a specific candidate while allowing them tax exempt status would be the government supporting a religion.
Just A Little though

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Founded: Nov 11, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Mon Aug 08, 2016 1:08 pm

Galloism wrote:
Neutraligon wrote:
DWS is not Clinton.

Have you ever seen them both at the same place at the same time?

DUN DUN DUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUN
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

MtF trans and proud - She / Her / etc.
100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

"Have you ever had a moment online, when the need to prove someone wrong has outweighed your own self-preservation instincts?"

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jul 01, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby USS Monitor » Mon Aug 08, 2016 1:10 pm

Pantuxia wrote:
Ngelmish wrote:
No untoward changing of outcomes occurred, so calling that a rigged election is simply wrong.

She tried to atheist-shame Bernie to lower his chances in Kentucky and WV. This election was decided from Day 1. Her leaked emails showed cooperation between DWS and key members of the media and DNC staff in order to favor Hillary. They had editors come in and edit Reuters articles. I'd call that a rigged election.

While that stuff is problematic, and it did make me more comfortable with my choice to switch parties, there is still a meaningful difference between that and actually tampering with ballots or voting machines.
Don't take life so serious... it isn't permanent... RIP Dyakovo and Ashmoria
19th century steamships may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. In case of accidental ingestion, please seek immediate medical assistance.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Mon Aug 08, 2016 1:11 pm

Saiwania wrote:If 538's Nowcast is really accurate, then South Carolina and Missouri are on the verge of getting flipped.

Missouri's been a swing state basically forever. Obama barely lost it in 2008, Bush won it both times, Bill Clinton won it both times, George HW Bush won it in 1988, reagan won it both times, etc.

Heck, before Barack Obama, Missouri had voted for the actual president every single time from statehood to 2004 with the exception of once - in 1956.

Kelinfort
Post Marshal

Founded: Nov 10, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Kelinfort » Mon Aug 08, 2016 1:12 pm

Eol Sha wrote:
Khadgar wrote:
538's now cast has Trump at 4.6%

So much blue... :shock:

Hurdergaryp
Post Czar

Founded: Jul 10, 2016
Democratic Socialists

Postby Hurdergaryp » Mon Aug 08, 2016 1:12 pm

Vassenor wrote:
Galloism wrote:Have you ever seen them both at the same place at the same time?

DUN DUN DUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUN

Is it time already to sprint to the nearest fallout shelter?

“Everything under heaven is in utter chaos; the situation is excellent.”
Mao Zedong

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Mon Aug 08, 2016 1:12 pm

Neutraligon wrote:
Galloism wrote:No, it's not a violation of the first amendment. Wrong. Bad Neutraligon, bad!

And the reason that code exists for churches is due to the first amendment. To allow a church to support a specific candidate while allowing them tax exempt status would be the government supporting a religion.

Probably not, no, unless they made only certain religions tax exempt. If it was all religions, there's no argument to be made that the government is supporting a particular religion.

Implacable Death
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 08, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Implacable Death » Mon Aug 08, 2016 1:12 pm

So apparently Hillary's health is terrible.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CpTYqCPUkAI4Hdz.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CpUTFRfVUAA_ETM.jpg

What happens if her health falls to such a depth that she can't run anymore? Does her running mate automatically take over? Or does the democratic vote go bye bye?
Okay so apparently these days it's hot and happening to show your gender.
I am MALE. WTF is cis? I am MALE. I like to belch and laugh at fart jokes.

Oh, by the way: gender and sex are the same thing. They are part of a binary system.
Transgenderism is not supported by scientific evidence.

The greatest evils of our day: islamism, liberalism, George Soros

How can you accuse me of evil? Though these deeds be unsavory, no one will argue: good shall follow from them.

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

Eol Sha
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Eol Sha » Mon Aug 08, 2016 1:13 pm

Implacable Death wrote:So apparently Hillary's health is terrible.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CpTYqCPUkAI4Hdz.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CpUTFRfVUAA_ETM.jpg

What happens if her health falls to such a depth that she can't run anymore? Does her running mate automatically take over? Or does the democratic vote go bye bye?

:eyebrow: What?

Anyway, I imagine the decision on who takes over is the responsibility of the DNC.
Last edited by Eol Sha on Mon Aug 08, 2016 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ashmoria
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 19, 2004
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Ashmoria » Mon Aug 08, 2016 1:14 pm

Eol Sha wrote:
Ashmoria wrote:
I guess someone ought to look into that

as soon as they start looking into the white megachurches politicking for republicans.

or catholic churches. my niece and her husband changed churches because their old one started spending too much time talking politics during sermons.

I think the IRS should look into it regardless. Really shouldn't be contingent on partisan preference.

the irs should look into it in general. there are hundreds of churches in this country violating that rule. I don't think it would be fair to focus on one demographic over another.
whatever

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General