NATION

PASSWORD

Google doodle honors "afrocentrism" and blm

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

The balkens
Post Marshal

Founded: Sep 19, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The balkens » Mon Mar 21, 2016 2:28 pm

Napkiraly wrote:
Mushet wrote:At least it didn't include an Olmec head like that big mural on Crenshaw in South Central.

I've seen that mural in person. I was facepalming so much. Other favourites of Afrocentric "history" include: Beethoven was black, Chinese civilisation was started by black people, and Caesar being black.

I even saw once a claim that Charlemagne was black. I shit you not.

What.

Napkiraly
Post Czar

Founded: Aug 02, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Napkiraly » Mon Mar 21, 2016 2:30 pm

Vassenor wrote:
Napkiraly wrote:My only concern are the symbols of Ancient Egypt within the mural. While Ancient Egypt had black people within its population it wasn't a "black" civilization. The people in Egypt are the primary descendants of those Egyptians, with the Copts being descended linguistically. Unsurprisingly, of course.

The theme of the competition was “What Makes Me… Me.” So it is entirely possible that the artist has some Egyptian ancestry.

Yeah, considering that in my experiences many black Americans claim Ancient Egypt as theirs, I'm going to weigh things out and most likely the artist falls into that camp. Perfectly possible that she has Egyptian ancestry, that would have to be shown to me as evidence.

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Founded: Nov 11, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Mon Mar 21, 2016 2:30 pm

Napkiraly wrote:
Vassenor wrote:
The theme of the competition was “What Makes Me… Me.” So it is entirely possible that the artist has some Egyptian ancestry.

Yeah, considering that in my experiences many black Americans claim Ancient Egypt as theirs, I'm going to weigh things out and most likely the artist falls into that camp. Perfectly possible that she has Egyptian ancestry, that would have to be shown to me as evidence.

So you're just going to make assumptions without evidence and then demand that we prove you wrong. Hm.
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

MtF trans and proud - She / Her / etc.
100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

"Have you ever had a moment online, when the need to prove someone wrong has outweighed your own self-preservation instincts?"

Herargon
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 21, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Herargon » Mon Mar 21, 2016 2:31 pm

Napkiraly wrote:
Mushet wrote:At least it didn't include an Olmec head like that big mural on Crenshaw in South Central.

I've seen that mural in person. I was facepalming so much. Other favourites of Afrocentric "history" include: Beethoven was black, Chinese civilisation was started by black people, and Caesar being black.

Just a question. Do you, by any chance, have the mural link, so I could see it?

Also, in fact, Egyptians and Hispanics aren't black. We in Europe usually just refer to the Egyptians as having a Mediterranean / North African look, while the Hispanics - that depends - are either Mediterranean or white. Here, race isn't really an issue.
Last edited by Herargon on Mon Mar 21, 2016 2:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Pro: tolerance, individualism, technocratism, democratism, freedom, freedom of speech and moderate religious expression, the ban on hate speech, constitutional monarchism, the Rhine model
Against: intolerance, radicalism, strong discrimination, populism, fascism, nazism, communism, totalitarianism, authoritarianism, absolutarianism, fundamentalism, strong religious expression, strong nationalism, police states

If you like philosophy, then here you can see what your own philosophical alignements are.

Ifreann wrote:That would certainly save the local regiment of American troops the trouble of plugging your head in ye olde shittere.
How scifi alliances actually work.

Napkiraly
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Napkiraly » Mon Mar 21, 2016 2:31 pm

The balkens wrote:
Napkiraly wrote:I've seen that mural in person. I was facepalming so much. Other favourites of Afrocentric "history" include: Beethoven was black, Chinese civilisation was started by black people, and Caesar being black.

What.

Yep. Charlemagne was whitewashed apparently. Same with Beethoven.

The balkens
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby The balkens » Mon Mar 21, 2016 2:32 pm

Napkiraly wrote:
The balkens wrote:
What.

Yep. Charlemagne was whitewashed apparently. Same with Beethoven.

I give up on liberalism.

Napkiraly
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Napkiraly » Mon Mar 21, 2016 2:34 pm

Vassenor wrote:
Napkiraly wrote:Yeah, considering that in my experiences many black Americans claim Ancient Egypt as theirs, I'm going to weigh things out and most likely the artist falls into that camp. Perfectly possible that she has Egyptian ancestry, that would have to be shown to me as evidence.

So you're just going to make assumptions without evidence and then demand that we prove you wrong. Hm.

Assumption being made due to likelihood. Yeah, prove that she has Egyptian ancestry. White people have to do it whenever they do something that offends First Nations people and then throw out "I'm part xyz percentage or fraction aboriginal".

Herargon
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Herargon » Mon Mar 21, 2016 2:36 pm

The balkens wrote:
Napkiraly wrote:Yep. Charlemagne was whitewashed apparently. Same with Beethoven.

I give up on liberalism.

Depends, there are large differences in liberalism. You have classical liberalism, paleoliberalism (basically same thing, but more conservative), conservative liberalism, liberal conservatism, social liberalism, left liberalism, right liberalism, progressive liberalism, liberal progressivism, national liberalism, liberal nationalism...
Pro: tolerance, individualism, technocratism, democratism, freedom, freedom of speech and moderate religious expression, the ban on hate speech, constitutional monarchism, the Rhine model
Against: intolerance, radicalism, strong discrimination, populism, fascism, nazism, communism, totalitarianism, authoritarianism, absolutarianism, fundamentalism, strong religious expression, strong nationalism, police states

If you like philosophy, then here you can see what your own philosophical alignements are.

Ifreann wrote:That would certainly save the local regiment of American troops the trouble of plugging your head in ye olde shittere.

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Mon Mar 21, 2016 2:36 pm

Napkiraly wrote:
Vassenor wrote:

Assumption being made due to likelihood. Yeah, prove that she has Egyptian ancestry. White people have to do it whenever they do something that offends First Nations people and then throw out "I'm part xyz percentage or fraction aboriginal".

I said it was a possibility. Not a definite.
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

"Have you ever had a moment online, when the need to prove someone wrong has outweighed your own self-preservation instincts?"

Napkiraly
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Napkiraly » Mon Mar 21, 2016 2:37 pm

The balkens wrote:
Napkiraly wrote:Yep. Charlemagne was whitewashed apparently. Same with Beethoven.

I give up on liberalism.

It has nothing to do with liberalism, balk.

The balkens
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby The balkens » Mon Mar 21, 2016 2:37 pm

Herargon wrote:
The balkens wrote:
I give up on liberalism.

Depends, there are large differences in liberalism. You have classical liberalism, paleoliberalism (basically same thing, but more conservative), conservative liberalism, liberal conservatism, social liberalism, left liberalism, right liberalism, progressive liberalism, liberal progressivism, national liberalism, liberal nationalism...

i think ill take the classical liberalism, anything that places logic at a higher fucking standard.

Saiwania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 30, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Saiwania » Mon Mar 21, 2016 2:37 pm

Zeinbrad wrote:And? Humans are humans, no matter skin tone, gender, race, religion or home.

But I clearly differ from you in that I think the physical differences which divide people truly matters. We're both set in our ways, so no use arguing any further on this.
Sith Acolyte
Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken!

Herargon
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Herargon » Mon Mar 21, 2016 2:37 pm

Napkiraly wrote:
Vassenor wrote:

To be fair, that's almost exclusively done by people in the Americas.

The balkens
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby The balkens » Mon Mar 21, 2016 2:37 pm

Napkiraly wrote:
The balkens wrote:
I give up on liberalism.

It has nothing to do with liberalism, balk.

ah.

Napkiraly
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Napkiraly » Mon Mar 21, 2016 2:38 pm

Vassenor wrote:
Napkiraly wrote:Assumption being made due to likelihood. Yeah, prove that she has Egyptian ancestry. White people have to do it whenever they do something that offends First Nations people and then throw out "I'm part xyz percentage or fraction aboriginal".

Okay, but I'll go with the more likely case.

Napkiraly
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Napkiraly » Mon Mar 21, 2016 2:39 pm

Herargon wrote:
Napkiraly wrote:Assumption being made due to likelihood. Yeah, prove that she has Egyptian ancestry. White people have to do it whenever they do something that offends First Nations people and then throw out "I'm part xyz percentage or fraction aboriginal".

To be fair, that's almost exclusively done by people in the Americas.

True, true.

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Mon Mar 21, 2016 2:39 pm

Napkiraly wrote:
Vassenor wrote:

Okay, but I'll go with the more likely case.

...So I'm wrong because I went for the possibility that a black person isn't a jumped up thief claiming things they have no right to?
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam

Founded: Jun 14, 2006
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Ostroeuropa » Mon Mar 21, 2016 2:40 pm

Vassenor wrote:
Saiwania wrote:After seeing Google's front page, I suspected that it might be a topic on here and wow- I nailed it. Sure I don't like the anti-White direction Google might be going in, but it is still the best search engine out there. So I can't just stop using their website.

Acknowledging that people who aren't white exists isn't white erasure.

So when do we say things like American society is a white society and such?
Can you point me to any instance of google engaging in white-person centrism?
Last edited by Ostroeuropa on Mon Mar 21, 2016 2:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ostro.MOV

There is an out of control trolley speeding towards Jeremy Bentham, who is tied to the track. You can pull the lever to cause the trolley to switch tracks, but on the other track is Immanuel Kant. Bentham is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Critique of Pure Reason. Kant is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Principles of Moral Legislation. Both men are shouting at you that they have recently started to reconsider their ethical stances.

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Mon Mar 21, 2016 2:42 pm

Ostroeuropa wrote:
Vassenor wrote:

I'm not sure I understand your point here.
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

Napkiraly
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Napkiraly » Mon Mar 21, 2016 2:42 pm

Vassenor wrote:
Napkiraly wrote:Okay, but I'll go with the more likely case.

...So I'm wrong because I went for the possibility that a black person isn't a jumped up thief claiming things they have no right to?

No, but you're most likely wrong. If she turns out to be of Egyptian, and actually I'll go a step further and include Sudanese, ancestry then I'll change my stance.

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Mon Mar 21, 2016 2:43 pm

Napkiraly wrote:
Vassenor wrote:

No, but you're most likely wrong. If she turns out to be of Egyptian, and actually I'll go a step further and include Sudanese, ancestry then I'll change my stance.

Again, what makes this the quote-unquote "likely" outcome?
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam

Founded: Jun 14, 2006
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Ostroeuropa » Mon Mar 21, 2016 2:44 pm

Vassenor wrote:
Ostroeuropa wrote:

I'm not sure I understand your point here.

Is this some kind of statement that America is a White Nation by default or something?

Because that's the only way to make any sense I can see out of this, and I reject that premise. It's like the women ghostbusters shit.

4 friends write a movie and star in it
Vs
An active and deliberate attempt to exclude males from the casting choices.

This is the same type shit. It's racism, pure and simple.

When did google ever actively focus on white people? Or was it just talking about notable people?
Last edited by Ostroeuropa on Mon Mar 21, 2016 2:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ostro.MOV

There is an out of control trolley speeding towards Jeremy Bentham, who is tied to the track. You can pull the lever to cause the trolley to switch tracks, but on the other track is Immanuel Kant. Bentham is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Critique of Pure Reason. Kant is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Principles of Moral Legislation. Both men are shouting at you that they have recently started to reconsider their ethical stances.

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 29, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Mon Mar 21, 2016 2:46 pm

omg Google honored black people! Anti-racist is anti-white!
Yeah no.

Mushet
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 29, 2008
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Mushet » Mon Mar 21, 2016 2:46 pm

Napkiraly wrote:

You have? When did you go to Crenshaw? :blink:

I just wish they didn't have so much of that crank influence, aside from the usual problems with people believing things like that it gives ammo to the wrong people.
"what I believe is like a box, and we’re taking the energy of our thinking and putting into a box of beliefs, pretending that we’re thinking...I’ve gone through most of my life not believing anything. Either I know or I don’t know, or I think." - John Trudell

Gun control is, and always has been, a tool of white supremacy.

Puppet: E-City ranked #1 in the world for Highest Drug Use on 5/25/2015
Puppet Sacred Heart Church ranked #2 in the world for Nudest 2/25/2010
OP of a 5 page archived thread The Forum Seven Tit Museum
Previous Official King of Forum 7 (2010-2012/13), relinquished own title
First person to get AQ'd Quote was funnier in 2011, you had to have been there
Celebrating over a decade on Nationstates!

Valystria
Minister

Founded: Jul 29, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Valystria » Mon Mar 21, 2016 2:48 pm

Vassenor wrote:
Saiwania wrote:After seeing Google's front page, I suspected that it might be a topic on here and wow- I nailed it. Sure I don't like the anti-White direction Google might be going in, but it is still the best search engine out there. So I can't just stop using their website.

That isn't what Google is doing.

You're cheering on white erasure and acting as if it's racist to take issue with it.

You're a believer in the Oppressor or Oppressed Dichotomy. You believe black people are oppressed by white people. Your solution is to turn the tables. White erasure. And if anyone opposes this solution of yours, call them a a racist.
Last edited by Valystria on Mon Mar 21, 2016 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General