NATION

PASSWORD

Ethicaly questionable or just a perk of the job.

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Unethical or jsut a perk of the job.

Unethical
7%
Just a perk of the job.
78%
Both
15%

Total votes : 55

KiloMikeAlpha
Senator

Founded: Jul 20, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby KiloMikeAlpha » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:34 pm

Katganistan wrote:....
There's an old saying, "You don't shit where you eat."
You shouldn't screw where you work either -- it leads to altogether too much drama, including the kind that gets people fired.

Yeah, that's what *I* said.
If I was a dinosaur I'd be an Asskickasaurus. I have a rare form of tourrettes, I get the urge to complement people who are BSing me.
KMA is EXONERATED!!
My Website | My Blogs | My Facebook Page

Who is John Galt?

Maurepas
Post Czar

Founded: Apr 17, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Maurepas » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:35 pm

Intangelon wrote:
Maurepas wrote:
Intangelon wrote:
greed and death wrote:
Intangelon wrote:
greed and death wrote:Well I work as a repairman at an apartment complex.
Recently several of the Tenants have discovered giving me beer or food helps to ensure I fix their problems in a much more timely manner. I can't say I intentionally get to them faster, but it is second nature to take care of those who are nicer first.

Perk, so long as the beer doesn't get the beer-giver to the front of the repairs queue.

Well the work orders are on a board in no particular order. we do them based on our own time management. Just if someone gave me beer in the past their name tends to stick out as fitting out time management.

So you do give preference to those who beer you, but you try to pass it off like you don't. Got it.

Meh, Nicer people = better service, humanity 101, Im not seeing the problem, *shrugs*

Except that it's supposed to be first come, first served.

If they are in no particular order, how do you know who was the first come? And who said his Job worked that way anyway...

Imsogone
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 18, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Imsogone » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:37 pm

Maurepas wrote:
Intangelon wrote:
greed and death wrote:
Intangelon wrote:
Recently several of the Tenants have discovered giving me beer or food helps to ensure I fix their problems in a much more timely manner. I can't say I intentionally get to them faster, but it is second nature to take care of those who are nicer first.

Perk, so long as the beer doesn't get the beer-giver to the front of the repairs queue.

Well the work orders are on a board in no particular order. we do them based on our own time management. Just if someone gave me beer in the past their name tends to stick out as fitting out time management.

So you do give preference to those who beer you, but you try to pass it off like you don't. Got it.

Meh, Nicer people = better service, humanity 101, Im not seeing the problem, *shrugs*

Now you see, I always figured the better the service the nicer I'd be. You don't tip a waiter for slovenly, slipshod service and you don't give someone a beer or other "perks" in hopes that he'll give you better service than he does someone else. I believe in being pleasant and courteous to people who are doing things for me but I don't see the point in giving extra to someone unless he/she is going the extra mile. You fix the leaky faucet, that merits a "thank you, I appreciate that". You fix the leaky faucet and are patient with my child who can't seem to stop bugging you, that merits a "thank you, I appreciate that" and a glass of iced tea or a couple of homemade cookies. But I don't think I'm going to give someone a beer just for showing up and doing what he's paid to do anyway.
"Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly" - Morticia Adams.

Maurepas
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Maurepas » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:41 pm

Imsogone wrote:
Maurepas wrote:
Intangelon wrote:
greed and death wrote:
Intangelon wrote:

Now you see, I always figured the better the service the nicer I'd be. You don't tip a waiter for slovenly, slipshod service and you don't give someone a beer or other "perks" in hopes that he'll give you better service than he does someone else. I believe in being pleasant and courteous to people who are doing things for me but I don't see the point in giving extra to someone unless he/she is going the extra mile. You fix the leaky faucet, that merits a "thank you, I appreciate that". You fix the leaky faucet and are patient with my child who can't seem to stop bugging you, that merits a "thank you, I appreciate that" and a glass of iced tea or a couple of homemade cookies. But I don't think I'm going to give someone a beer just for showing up and doing what he's paid to do anyway.

I say it goes both ways, A waiter such as you describe is disreputable, but, Id say the bitchy, non-tipping customer is equally disreputable...

Both sides should be courteous to one another, and when one isnt, I dont think one should have to treat them the same as one who is...

Intangelon
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 09, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Intangelon » Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:47 pm

Maurepas wrote:
Imsogone wrote:
Maurepas wrote:
Intangelon wrote:
greed and death wrote:
Intangelon wrote:

I say it goes both ways, A waiter such as you describe is disreputable, but, Id say the bitchy, non-tipping customer is equally disreputable...

Both sides should be courteous to one another, and when one isnt, I dont think one should have to treat them the same as one who is...

Absolutely incorrect. Who is there to serve whom? Whose job is it to provide service? Of course one should start out pleasantly when requesting service, but that service should never be contingent on who blows the server (metaphorically or not).
+11,569 posts from Jolt/OMAC
Oh beautiful for pilgrim feet / Whose stern, impassioned stress / A thoroughfare for freedom beat / Across the wilderness!
America! America! / God mend thine ev’ry flaw; / Confirm thy soul in self-control / Thy liberty in law....

Lunatic Goofballs: The problem is that the invisible men in the sky don't tell you how to live your life.
Their fan clubs do.

Maurepas
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Maurepas » Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:49 pm

Intangelon wrote:
Maurepas wrote:
Imsogone wrote:
Maurepas wrote:
Intangelon wrote:
greed and death wrote:
Intangelon wrote:

Absolutely incorrect. Who is there to serve whom? Whose job is it to provide service? Of course one should start out pleasantly when requesting service, but that service should never be contingent on who blows the server (metaphorically or not).

We'll just have to agree to disagree on that point, I dont view workers as "Servers" for one thing...

Ryadn
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 13, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Ryadn » Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:50 pm

Flameswroth wrote:Repair work is a service industry, dealing directly with people. It stands to reason that the nature of those people you serve will have some bearing on the service rendered.

Just once, I'd like a student to come up to me after a particularly good lesson and give me a dollar for helping her master the spelling of words with the long "e" sound or something. :(
"I hate you! I HATE you collectivist society. You can't tell me what to do, you're not my REAL legitimate government. As soon as my band takes off, and I invent a perpetual motion machine, I am SO out of here!" - Neo Art

"But please, explain how a condom breaking is TOTALLY different from a tire getting blown out. I mean, in one case, a piece of rubber you're relying on to remain intact so that your risk of negative consequences won't significantly increase breaks through no inherent fault of your own, and in the other case, a piece of rubber you're relying on to remain intact so that your risk of negative consequences won't significantly increase breaks through no inherent fault of your own." - The Norwegian Blue

Maurepas
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Maurepas » Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:51 pm

Ryadn wrote:
Flameswroth wrote:Repair work is a service industry, dealing directly with people. It stands to reason that the nature of those people you serve will have some bearing on the service rendered.

Just once, I'd like a student to come up to me after a particularly good lesson and give me a dollar for helping her master the spelling of words with the long "e" sound or something. :(

Teachin at the wrong level for that sort of thing, :p

Intangelon
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 09, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Intangelon » Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:54 pm

Maurepas wrote:
Intangelon wrote:
Maurepas wrote:
Imsogone wrote:
Maurepas wrote:
Intangelon wrote:
greed and death wrote:
Intangelon wrote:

We'll just have to agree to disagree on that point, I dont view workers as "Servers" for one thing...

Oh? Then what's the point of having them at the tenants' figurative beck and call via a work request order, usually on paper? Sorry, but you can dress it up any way you like, that manager is a servant, and part of the tenants' rent is paying that manager's salary or providing his dwelling free of rent. I'm not saying he's a butler, I'm saying his job is to provide service to the tenants. He's usually the first line of contact between the tenant and the owners/landlords. If he's taking bribes, why the hell would I not inform the owner/landlord immediately that the super is taking bribes for better...what? Service.

If they're not "servers", then you've got some explaining to do: what are they?
+11,569 posts from Jolt/OMAC
Oh beautiful for pilgrim feet / Whose stern, impassioned stress / A thoroughfare for freedom beat / Across the wilderness!
America! America! / God mend thine ev’ry flaw; / Confirm thy soul in self-control / Thy liberty in law....

Lunatic Goofballs: The problem is that the invisible men in the sky don't tell you how to live your life.
Their fan clubs do.

Maurepas
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Maurepas » Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:56 pm

Intangelon wrote:
Maurepas wrote:
Intangelon wrote:
Maurepas wrote:
Imsogone wrote:
Maurepas wrote:
Intangelon wrote:
greed and death wrote:
Intangelon wrote:

Oh? Then what's the point of having them at the tenants' figurative beck and call via a work request order, usually on paper? Sorry, but you can dress it up any way you like, that manager is a servant, and part of the tenants' rent is paying that manager's salary or providing his dwelling free of rent. I'm not saying he's a butler, I'm saying his job is to provide service to the tenants. He's usually the first line of contact between the tenant and the owners/landlords. If he's taking bribes, why the hell would I not inform the owner/landlord immediately that the super is taking bribes for better...what? Service.

People with a Job, thats what...

Putting in a request order isnt the same as "being at the beck and call", if you view it as such, it might explain why you get shitty service...

Ryadn
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 13, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Ryadn » Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:59 pm

Maurepas wrote:
Intangelon wrote:
Maurepas wrote:
Imsogone wrote:
Maurepas wrote:
Intangelon wrote:
greed and death wrote:
Intangelon wrote:

I think this would be a lot less problematic in the case of waiters if they earned minimum wage, instead of having tips "make up" the difference. For jobs that don't follow that same slippery wage practice and offer minimum or above minimum wage, I don't honestly see why I should be compelled to tip at all. No one tips me if I do well at my job. I don't receive bonuses. I have no incentives whatsoever---I work hard for the sake of working hard, and staying employed.
"I hate you! I HATE you collectivist society. You can't tell me what to do, you're not my REAL legitimate government. As soon as my band takes off, and I invent a perpetual motion machine, I am SO out of here!" - Neo Art

"But please, explain how a condom breaking is TOTALLY different from a tire getting blown out. I mean, in one case, a piece of rubber you're relying on to remain intact so that your risk of negative consequences won't significantly increase breaks through no inherent fault of your own, and in the other case, a piece of rubber you're relying on to remain intact so that your risk of negative consequences won't significantly increase breaks through no inherent fault of your own." - The Norwegian Blue

Imsogone
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Imsogone » Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:07 am

Maurepas wrote:
Intangelon wrote:
Maurepas wrote:
Intangelon wrote:
Maurepas wrote:
Imsogone wrote:
Maurepas wrote:
Intangelon wrote:
greed and death wrote:
Intangelon wrote:

Putting in a request order isnt the same as "being at the beck and call", if you view it as such, it might explain why you get shitty service...

I don't know what GnD's situation is, but, generally a maintenance and repair person is not only paid a salary but has a rent-free apartment for himself and, if necessary, his family. I'd say a rent-free apartment is a pretty good perk. I wouldn't say he's at anyone's "beck and call" but he is supposed to be available at all hours for emergencies (another reason for a rent-free apartment - it's easier to deal with emergencies if you don't have come from another part of town). Freebies from the tenants are not perks and should not be expected. There is too much opportunity for abuse. Tenants should be pleasant and courteous: maintenance people should be professional and courteous. Their work ethic should not depend on whether or not tenants render them "considerations". These perks are ethically borderline and potentially detrimental to the relationship between the repair person and his employer and the tenants.

If you can't separate the fact that, for example, the old guy who lives next door to you invites you over on your day off to watch the game - as a neighbor - from the requirement that you may have to fix something for him on a workday, then you'd best decline his invitation.
"Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly" - Morticia Adams.

Maurepas
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Maurepas » Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:08 am

Ryadn wrote:
Maurepas wrote:
Intangelon wrote:
Maurepas wrote:
Imsogone wrote:
Maurepas wrote:
Intangelon wrote:
greed and death wrote:
Intangelon wrote:

I think this would be a lot less problematic in the case of waiters if they earned minimum wage, instead of having tips "make up" the difference. For jobs that don't follow that same slippery wage practice and offer minimum or above minimum wage, I don't honestly see why I should be compelled to tip at all. No one tips me if I do well at my job. I don't receive bonuses. I have no incentives whatsoever---I work hard for the sake of working hard, and staying employed.

Well, I would say noone is compelled to tip, just be prepared for when you come back next time and that person remembers the stiff...

And that is pretty bullshit, I dont see why a teacher shouldnt get a bonus, I believe our teachers did, but dont quote me on that one, lol, I know they offered one if you worked a certain number of hours when I was subbing 2 years ago...

Maurepas
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Maurepas » Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:10 am

Imsogone wrote:
Maurepas wrote:
Intangelon wrote:
Maurepas wrote:
Intangelon wrote:
Maurepas wrote:
Imsogone wrote:
Maurepas wrote:
Intangelon wrote:
greed and death wrote:
Intangelon wrote:

I don't know what GnD's situation is, but, generally a maintenance and repair person is not only paid a salary but has a rent-free apartment for himself and, if necessary, his family. I'd say a rent-free apartment is a pretty good perk. I wouldn't say he's at anyone's "beck and call" but he is supposed to be available at all hours for emergencies (another reason for a rent-free apartment - it's easier to deal with emergencies if you don't have come from another part of town). Freebies from the tenants are not perks and should not be expected. There is too much opportunity for abuse. Tenants should be pleasant and courteous: maintenance people should be professional and courteous. Their work ethic should not depend on whether or not tenants render them "considerations". These perks are ethically borderline and potentially detrimental to the relationship between the repair person and his employer and the tenants.

If you can't separate the fact that, for example, the old guy who lives next door to you invites you over on your day off to watch the game - as a neighbor - from the requirement that you may have to fix something for him on a workday, then you'd best decline his invitation.

Like I said, I would never say it should be expected or there should be any compulsion for it, but, I would recognize that if one is given, that person is probably going to get better service, than one who was a crappy person when the job was being done...

Imsogone
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Imsogone » Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:12 am

Maurepas wrote:
Imsogone wrote:
Maurepas wrote:
Intangelon wrote:
Maurepas wrote:
Intangelon wrote:
Maurepas wrote:
Imsogone wrote:
Maurepas wrote:
Intangelon wrote:
greed and death wrote:
Intangelon wrote:

Like I said, I would never say it should be expected or there should be any compulsion for it, but, I would recognize that if one is given, that person is probably going to get better service, than one who was a crappy person when the job was being done...

I see, so being courteous is considered crappy these days and offering a bribe is the new "courteous".

Maurepas
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Maurepas » Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:14 am

Imsogone wrote:
Maurepas wrote:
Imsogone wrote:
Maurepas wrote:
Intangelon wrote:
Maurepas wrote:
Intangelon wrote:
Maurepas wrote:
Imsogone wrote:
Maurepas wrote:
Intangelon wrote:
greed and death wrote:
Intangelon wrote:

I see, so being courteous is considered crappy these days and offering a bribe is the new "courteous".

Not at all, I was dealing with the extreme ends of the spectrum, not the middle ground, ;)

Imsogone
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Imsogone » Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:36 am

Maurepas wrote:
Imsogone wrote:
Maurepas wrote:
Imsogone wrote:
Maurepas wrote:
Intangelon wrote:
Maurepas wrote:
Intangelon wrote:
Maurepas wrote:
Imsogone wrote:
Maurepas wrote:
Intangelon wrote:
greed and death wrote:
Intangelon wrote:

Not at all, I was dealing with the extreme ends of the spectrum, not the middle ground, ;)

I was dealing with what I perceive to be normal behavior. If GnD gives better service to someone who gave him a "perk" than he did to someone who was courteous but didn't give him anything out of the ordinary, then he's being unprofessional and opening himself up to a shitload of problems should one of his tenants call his actions into question. A very great number of normally courteous people would feel that they were being discriminated against if this were to become general knowledge and they might let his manager know that they weren't pleased. It's NOT A GOOD IDEA to accept perks except in the case of exemplary service, even then he would better serve himself and the tenants if he said to the person something like "I'm glad my work pleases you, I don't accept tips from my customers, but if you would tell my manager that you liked what I did, I would appreciate it."

RETLAWWEHTTAM
Bureaucrat

Founded: Sep 01, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby RETLAWWEHTTAM » Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:44 am

perk. i make pizza, you fix things. i am nicer to people who tip me, but everyone still gets their pizza. its a tip, not a bribe.

Imsogone
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Imsogone » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:26 am

You know, there's a revolutionary idea that raises and promotions be based on the consistency and quality of the work done. This is, of course, determined by input from customers (in this case tenants) and spot checks of the work. The person's performance is then evaluated and raises and promotions extended or denied based on assessment of said quality. This would have nothing to do with the number and amount of tips received because those are off the books and, hence, unknown to the management. What would be known to the management would be 1. the number of complaints received about the worker 2. the number of commendations received vis a vis the worker 3. The quality of the work done 4. the speed with which the work was done. It would not be assessed on the number of beers, lays or other perks the employee received from the customers - indeed, it could be adversely impacted by knowledge of these perks. It is wise, at all times, to remember who pays your wages. The hot chick in apartment B may give you Guiness and sex, but that could ultimately lose you your job. Whereas the old biddy in apartment A may be curt and unpleasant, but, if you do your job properly, she may just tell your manager about it - which to my mind beats the Hell out of beer and sex any day - but then, I'm an older woman and not a horny kid.

La Habana
Ambassador

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby La Habana » Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:02 am

greed and death wrote:
La Habana wrote:
The Parkus Empire wrote:
La Habana wrote:Why should you see it as ethically questionable? It heightens your sense of power, so what's wrong with that? All living beings exists to accumulate and expend their power, why should you feel guilty for it?

He might not be a fan of Nietzsche.

True :ugeek:

I actually am a fan of Nietzsche but I tend to leave the master,slave morality stuff at the door for NSG.

Good plan, because to be perfectly honest I sincerely doubt the majority of NSG wouldn't know what 'Will to Power', or 'Ubermensch', or 'Master-Slave Morality, or 'Eternal Recurrence' was even if they tripped over it, and then smashed them in the face. :ugeek:
The Original CyberPunk Dystopia of NationStates.
Proteus of F7, God of Foresight and Transformation.
LA HABANA FACTBOOK
Council Member of The Vladivostok Alliance.
New Sociopia wrote:Really camp Jesus flailing his wrists wildly and saying 'Like, ohmygod! Get out of the temple bitches! You aren't nearly fabulous enough!'
La Habana wrote:
Kalasparata wrote:I own most of Antarctica!

Like hell you do.

Central Slavia
Powerbroker

Founded: Nov 05, 2009
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Central Slavia » Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:10 am

I am scorning you just for asking so dumbly.
*SCORN*
Of course it is a perk!
Kosovo is Serbia!
Embassy Anthem Store Facts

Glorious Homeland wrote:
You would be wrong. There's something wrong with the Americans, the Japanese are actually insane, the Chinese don't seem capable of free-thought and just defer judgement to the most powerful strong man, the Russians are quite like that, only more aggressive and mad, and Belarus? Hah.

Omnicracy wrote:The Soviet Union did not support pro-Soviet governments, it compleatly controled them. The U.S. did not controle the corrupt regiems it set up against the Soviet Union, it just sugested things and changed leaders if they weer not takeing enough sugestions

Great Nepal wrote:Please stick to OFFICIAL numbers. Why to go to scholars,[cut]

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:10 am

Imsogone wrote:
Maurepas wrote:
Intangelon wrote:
Maurepas wrote:
Intangelon wrote:
Maurepas wrote:
Imsogone wrote:
Maurepas wrote:
Intangelon wrote:
greed and death wrote:
Intangelon wrote:

Nope I pay full rent on the apartment. Owner is too cheap to even give me a discount on rent. That's the problem working in a college town the labor market is all screwy.
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

Mean Feat
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 28, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Mean Feat » Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:44 am

greed and death wrote:
Imsogone wrote:
Maurepas wrote:
Intangelon wrote:
Maurepas wrote:
Intangelon wrote:
Maurepas wrote:
Imsogone wrote:
Maurepas wrote:
Intangelon wrote:
greed and death wrote:
Intangelon wrote:

Nope I pay full rent on the apartment. Owner is too cheap to even give me a discount on rent. That's the problem working in a college town the labor market is all screwy.

The owner would probably be even happier if you'd take no wage at all, and do the job for the perks alone.

How ethical would that be ?
— written by Mean Feat.

Mean Feat wrote:The Latham of the Liberals. Tony Abbott.

Tanya Plibersek Mon 22 Feb 2010 wrote:"Tony is the 'Mark Latham' of the Liberal Party.

She didn't get to explain why.

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:55 am

Mean Feat wrote:
greed and death wrote:
Imsogone wrote:
Maurepas wrote:

The owner would probably be even happier if you'd take no wage at all, and do the job for the perks alone.

I don't know if their is an ethics issue with that, however there are legal issues. namely minimum wage.
Last edited by Greed and Death on Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

Mean Feat
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 28, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Mean Feat » Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:26 am

greed and death wrote:
Mean Feat wrote:
greed and death wrote:
Imsogone wrote:
Maurepas wrote:

I don't know if their is an ethics issue with that, however there are legal issues. namely minimum wage.

The ethics issue is that the tenants have taken supposedly serviced apartments, then find that they have no service at all unless they pay more (beyond their lease agreement) to a monopoly supplier appointed by the owner. That's breach of contract, which I hope you would agree is unethical, whether it is legal or not.

Your OP asked how ethical it is for you, not your employer. Whether they are doing something illegal or unethical is another question. Prioritizing your work according to who is more likely to tip you IS unethical, and I manufacture an extreme case (where you would not give them any service without 'tips') to illustrate that.
Last edited by Mean Feat on Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
— written by Mean Feat.

Mean Feat wrote:The Latham of the Liberals. Tony Abbott.

Tanya Plibersek Mon 22 Feb 2010 wrote:"Tony is the 'Mark Latham' of the Liberal Party.

She didn't get to explain why.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General