NATION

PASSWORD

Ethicaly questionable or just a perk of the job.

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Unethical or jsut a perk of the job.

Unethical
7%
Just a perk of the job.
78%
Both
15%

Total votes : 55

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:02 pm

Imsogone wrote:I won't deal with ethics but with practicality.

For the sake of argument, I'm a renter. I pay $xxxx/mo for rent, this includes things like maintenance and repairs. So one fine day, the water heater dies and water gushes everywhere. My things are sodden, I can't bathe or wash dishes, I have to turn off the electricity because of the water. So I call the manager and request you to come to my place asap because it's an emergency. I have never given you a beer or a meal or any form of "perk". I have, however, been courteous to you and treated you with respect. Anyway, 24 hours and many, at first desparate and then angry, phone calls later, you finally toddle in and, in your desultory fashion, you barely fix the problem. The reason you give for your tardiness is that there were calls before me. I check into these calls and find that you were spending a couple of hours fixing the drippy faucet in the hot chicks apartment because she gave you a beer and another couple of hours tacking down the carpet of the old guy who let you watch the football game on his 52" HD TV. My first response is not to give you a beer, it's to complain to the manager and get your sorry ass fired.

This should be worthy of your consideration.

Actually water leaks are always emergencies and we drop what we are doing to fix those even if the guy is an asshole.
Mostly because my boss doesn't want to deal with the water damage.
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

Imsogone
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 18, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Imsogone » Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:21 pm

greed and death wrote:
Imsogone wrote:I won't deal with ethics but with practicality.

For the sake of argument, I'm a renter. I pay $xxxx/mo for rent, this includes things like maintenance and repairs. So one fine day, the water heater dies and water gushes everywhere. My things are sodden, I can't bathe or wash dishes, I have to turn off the electricity because of the water. So I call the manager and request you to come to my place asap because it's an emergency. I have never given you a beer or a meal or any form of "perk". I have, however, been courteous to you and treated you with respect. Anyway, 24 hours and many, at first desparate and then angry, phone calls later, you finally toddle in and, in your desultory fashion, you barely fix the problem. The reason you give for your tardiness is that there were calls before me. I check into these calls and find that you were spending a couple of hours fixing the drippy faucet in the hot chicks apartment because she gave you a beer and another couple of hours tacking down the carpet of the old guy who let you watch the football game on his 52" HD TV. My first response is not to give you a beer, it's to complain to the manager and get your sorry ass fired.

This should be worthy of your consideration.

Actually water leaks are always emergencies and we drop what we are doing to fix those even if the guy is an asshole.
Mostly because my boss doesn't want to deal with the water damage.

Actually, this was more in the nature of a warning about this sort of thing. If someone finds out that you're doing this, it could cause problems with your employer.
"Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly" - Morticia Adams.

Acadzia
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 15, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Acadzia » Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:30 pm

Brogavia wrote:
Saaturia wrote:
Brogavia wrote:
Ashmoria wrote:perk as long as you dont start demanding it or taking sex as payment.

This.

Another slightly releated question. Is it ethical for businesses in the service industry to charge an asshole fee? For example, the person who hires a repair man, treats them like dirt. Should the repair man be allowed to charge them extra?

I'd say that the "asshole fee" is a bit unethical. Assholes are just an "anti-perk" of the job. I don't think you should be allowed to secretly pad their bill.

Why? You are paying them to come into your home, because you are too lazy or too unedeucated to fix it yourself, and instead of treating them like a guest, and with respect, you treat them like shit. To compensate for them being an asshole, they should get charged extra.

And you're a "right-wing nut"? :eyebrow:
The Kingdom of Atlantis in A Modern World. Join us, we rock.

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:18 pm

Grave_n_idle wrote:
greed and death wrote:
Grave_n_idle wrote:
greed and death wrote:Well I work as a repairman at an apartment complex.
Recently several of the Tenants have discovered giving me beer or food helps to ensure I fix their problems in a much more timely manner. I can't say I intentionally get to them faster, but it is second nature to take care of those who are nicer first.

Unethical.

Not 'questionable' - it's unethical. If it was ethical, the question would never have popped into your head.

*accidentally turns off GNI's heat.*

...which would just be evidence. :)

It's true, though.

You know when people want to post slightly risky images on their flags, and they go and start a thread in Moderation saying something like "would it be okay to use this image *image* as a flag"? and the reply is always 'if you have to ask, you already know the answer'...?

Yeah. That.

In general I say it is far better to ask forgiveness then to ask permission.

anyways the chick that gave me Chimay grande reserve, we just ended up knocking boots because I fixed her A/C promptly. I kinda needed some just recently gotten dumped.
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

Maurepas
Post Czar

Founded: Apr 17, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Maurepas » Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:20 pm

Perk of the Job, have at it, Id do it, ;)

Grave_n_idle
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 11, 2004
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Grave_n_idle » Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:20 pm

greed and death wrote:
Grave_n_idle wrote:
greed and death wrote:
Grave_n_idle wrote:
Recently several of the Tenants have discovered giving me beer or food helps to ensure I fix their problems in a much more timely manner. I can't say I intentionally get to them faster, but it is second nature to take care of those who are nicer first.

Unethical.

Not 'questionable' - it's unethical. If it was ethical, the question would never have popped into your head.

It's true, though.

You know when people want to post slightly risky images on their flags, and they go and start a thread in Moderation saying something like "would it be okay to use this image *image* as a flag"? and the reply is always 'if you have to ask, you already know the answer'...?

Yeah. That.

anyways the chick that gave me Chimay grande reserve, we just ended up knocking boots because I fixed her A/C promptly. I kinda needed some just recently gotten dumped.

All of which does nothing to make it ethical. Quite the contrary.
I identify as
a problem

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:22 pm

Grave_n_idle wrote:
greed and death wrote:
Grave_n_idle wrote:
greed and death wrote:
Grave_n_idle wrote:

Unethical.

It's true, though.

Yeah. That.

All of which does nothing to make it ethical. Quite the contrary.

The sex was secondary because I was hitting on her while fixing her AC.
the tip was technically after work. though she did ask my favorite beer I liked after work.
Barack Obama

Kma2
Envoy

Founded: Dec 25, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Kma2 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:22 pm

IMHO, if they are expecting or even receiving the illusion that they are being serviced out of order by giving you gifts, it is unethical.

For example: If you pick the order of repairs, I would not accept gifts. If your dispatcher picks the order, no problem.

On the other hand, is this any different from a waiter at a restaurant? We give them tips, but it is after the fact. If we spotted them $5 when we sat down, and they hovered over us and gave us their full attention, I am not sure that would be ethical either.
KiloMikeAlpha is exonerated!!

My Website | My Blogs | My Facebook Page

[H]ow do you explain a rainbow to a blind man? -- Frank A. Adrian <fadrian@ancar.org>
KMA2 - kick him in the nuts. "see all those pretty colors? like that."

Grave_n_idle
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 11, 2004
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Grave_n_idle » Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:24 pm

greed and death wrote:The sex was secondary because I was hitting on her while fixing her AC.
the tip was technically after work. though she did ask my favorite beer I liked after work.

Allowing business and social activity to coincide is poor practise (even if it did get you 'consolation'). You primed the social activity in your formal business capacity - which means you were not only unethical in accepting 'perks', but in soliciting them while you were supposed to be acting in a professional capacity.
I identify as
a problem

Maurepas
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Maurepas » Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:26 pm

Grave_n_idle wrote:
greed and death wrote:The sex was secondary because I was hitting on her while fixing her AC.

Allowing business and social activity to coincide is poor practise (even if it did get you 'consolation'). You primed the social activity in your formal business capacity - which means you were not only unethical in accepting 'perks', but in soliciting them while you were supposed to be acting in a professional capacity.

Meh, she consented, whats the problem? I've never understood that sort of thing myself, long as everyone consents, Im not seeing the problem...

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:38 pm

Maurepas wrote:
Grave_n_idle wrote:

Meh, she consented, whats the problem? I've never understood that sort of thing myself, long as everyone consents, Im not seeing the problem...

Its not like I said I wasn't going to fix her AC if she didn't give me any booty.
Barack Obama

Intangelon
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 09, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Intangelon » Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:39 pm

Perk, so long as the beer doesn't get the beer-giver to the front of the repairs queue.
+11,569 posts from Jolt/OMAC
Oh beautiful for pilgrim feet / Whose stern, impassioned stress / A thoroughfare for freedom beat / Across the wilderness!
America! America! / God mend thine ev’ry flaw; / Confirm thy soul in self-control / Thy liberty in law....

Lunatic Goofballs: The problem is that the invisible men in the sky don't tell you how to live your life.
Their fan clubs do.

KiloMikeAlpha
Senator

Founded: Jul 20, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby KiloMikeAlpha » Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:42 pm

So, what if said lady decided that she loves you and that she wants to spend more time with you and you snub her. She gets all crazy and tells your boss. You get fired, all kinds of crap hits the fan and you are history.

Same reason why you dont get involved with anyone at work.

There is a reason animals dont defecate where they eat.
Last edited by KiloMikeAlpha on Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If I was a dinosaur I'd be an Asskickasaurus. I have a rare form of tourrettes, I get the urge to complement people who are BSing me.
KMA is EXONERATED!!

Who is John Galt?

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:42 pm

Intangelon wrote:

Perk, so long as the beer doesn't get the beer-giver to the front of the repairs queue.

Well the work orders are on a board in no particular order. we do them based on our own time management. Just if someone gave me beer in the past their name tends to stick out as fitting out time management.
Barack Obama

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:43 pm

KiloMikeAlpha wrote:So, what if said lady decided that she loves you and that she wants to spend more time with you and you snub her. She gets all crazy and tells your boss. You get fired, all kinds of crap hits the fan and you are history.

this is one of free jobs I have.
ID be more concerned about losing it if ti were a career or the only job I have.
Barack Obama

Maurepas
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Maurepas » Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:45 pm

greed and death wrote:
Intangelon wrote:

Well the work orders are on a board in no particular order. we do them based on our own time management. Just if someone gave me beer in the past their name tends to stick out as fitting out time management.

And, as long as it isnt an emergency like ASD described, I dont see the problem with that, maybe the other people should think about not being douchebags...

Pope Joan
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 11, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Pope Joan » Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:45 pm

I always offer a sandwich and a cup of coffee, but after the work is done.

The only time the offer is accepted is when it is minus 20 F outside, and not all the time even then.

I don't think my service is faster or slower as a result.

It's just a way of saying thanks to a neighbor.
"Life is difficult".

-M. Scott Peck

KiloMikeAlpha
Senator

Founded: Jul 20, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby KiloMikeAlpha » Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:46 pm

greed and death wrote:
KiloMikeAlpha wrote:So, what if said lady decided that she loves you and that she wants to spend more time with you and you snub her. She gets all crazy and tells your boss. You get fired, all kinds of crap hits the fan and you are history.

ID be more concerned about losing it if ti were a career or the only job I have.

Then why the concern? It obviously concerned you enough to talk about it here. Were you looking for absolution?
If I was a dinosaur I'd be an Asskickasaurus. I have a rare form of tourrettes, I get the urge to complement people who are BSing me.
KMA is EXONERATED!!

Who is John Galt?

Maurepas
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Maurepas » Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:47 pm

KiloMikeAlpha wrote:
greed and death wrote:

Then why the concern? It obviously concerned you enough to talk about it here. Were you looking for absolution?

Probably just an interesting topic for NSG, I dont even have this problem at my job, due to it not involving leaving the desk, and it interests me...

The Fanboyists
Senator

Founded: Sep 21, 2007
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby The Fanboyists » Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:50 pm

Flameswroth wrote:
The Parkus Empire wrote:
Ashmoria wrote:perk as long as you dont start demanding it or taking sex as payment.

That's a plumber, or a milkman, perk.

Or cable guy, or mailman.

^^^

This especially. Cable is life. Putting yourself up for gay butt-sex is totally worth getting it fixed faster.
Proud member of the Ajax role-playing community!
Ottonia, Draakur, and Untsangazar in Ajax
Terefuxe, formerly Allamunnic States (NSSport)

"The plans and schemes of tyrants are broken by many things. They shatter against cliffs of heroic struggle. They rupture on reefs of open resistance. And they are slowly eroded, bit by little bit, on the very beaches where they measure triumph, by countless grains of sand. By the stubborn little decencies of humble little men." -Eric Flint, Belisarius II: In The Heart of Darkness

Dakini
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Dakini » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:23 pm

greed and death wrote:Well keep debating this one of the tenants has bought me Chimay and I am off to go drink.

ooo... Chimay, good beer.

I don't think this is a bad thing.

Intangelon
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Intangelon » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:25 pm

greed and death wrote:
Intangelon wrote:

So you do give preference to those who beer you, but you try to pass it off like you don't. Got it.
Oh beautiful for pilgrim feet / Whose stern, impassioned stress / A thoroughfare for freedom beat / Across the wilderness!
America! America! / God mend thine ev’ry flaw; / Confirm thy soul in self-control / Thy liberty in law....

Lunatic Goofballs: The problem is that the invisible men in the sky don't tell you how to live your life.
Their fan clubs do.

Maurepas
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Maurepas » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:26 pm

Intangelon wrote:
greed and death wrote:
Intangelon wrote:

So you do give preference to those who beer you, but you try to pass it off like you don't. Got it.

Meh, Nicer people = better service, humanity 101, Im not seeing the problem, *shrugs*

Katganistan
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Katganistan » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:31 pm

greed and death wrote:
Grave_n_idle wrote:
greed and death wrote:
Grave_n_idle wrote:

Unethical.

It's true, though.

Yeah. That.

There's an old saying, "You don't shit where you eat."
You shouldn't screw where you work either -- it leads to altogether too much drama, including the kind that gets people fired.

Intangelon
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Intangelon » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:33 pm

Maurepas wrote:
Intangelon wrote:
greed and death wrote:
Intangelon wrote:

Meh, Nicer people = better service, humanity 101, Im not seeing the problem, *shrugs*

Except that it's supposed to be first come, first served.

Their fan clubs do.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General