NATION

PASSWORD

What the F@%!

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Do you like the FCC

Yes, I'm tired of the censorship
55%
No, It's essential for our children saftey
11%
Other
13%
I don't give a F
21%

Total votes : 153

United Dependencies
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 22, 2007
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby United Dependencies » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:15 am

Huntersunited wrote:
Smunkeeville wrote:
Huntersunited wrote:

That's not exactly true, the people who censor T.V. are forcing you to watch what they want, or rather not watch what you want.

Are not.

Isn't censorship against our right to freedom of speech anyway?

They're not censoring anything political last time I checked.
Alien Space Bats wrote:2012: The Year We Lost Contact (with Reality).

Cannot think of a name wrote:
Obamacult wrote:Maybe there is an economically sound and rational reason why there are no longer high paying jobs for qualified accountants, assembly line workers, glass blowers, blacksmiths, tanners, etc.

Maybe dragons took their jobs. Maybe unicorns only hid their jobs because unicorns are dicks. Maybe 'jobs' is only an illusion created by a drug addled infant pachyderm. Fuck dude, if we're in 'maybe' land, don't hold back.

This is Nationstates we're here to help

Are you a native or resident of North Carolina?

Huntersunited
Spokesperson

Founded: Dec 22, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Huntersunited » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:16 am

United Dependencies wrote:
Huntersunited wrote:
Huntersunited wrote:
Huntersunited wrote:
Smunkeeville wrote:
Conserative Morality wrote:
Flameswroth wrote:I agree that other people's tastes shouldn't dictate the law, yes. Currently, my tastes ARE the law. It's other people's tastes that would change it at this point.

Call it a lack of confidence in the entertainment industry. Technically, I should trust the market's ability to provide censored channels for those of us who want them without government interference, and TBH I doubt most channels would change their formats to more vulgar ones even if those prohibitions were lifted. Even so, as I said, I think the more extreme sources of language, violence and sex in the media are a premium people should have to buy. :)

Charging people extra merely because you have a difference in taste with them. Wow.

Hi CM, how are you today? I'm not doing so well. I hurt my foot last night and I'm in pain and I have a really low threshold for bullshit. So, I'm going to try to make this short and sweet.

You do NOT have a right to entertainment. Entertainment costs money. You have to pay for it. If you want something that's uncommon you have to pay more. Such is life.

Well, we have the right of pursuit of happiness, and maybe my happiness is T.V. and censorship is stopping me from pursuing it.

Happiness is a difficult right to figure out. And it doesn't appear in the bill of rights.

Are you sure? It is one of our unalienable rights. (life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness

Only according to Jefferson. According to Locke it is actually life liberty and property.

But John Locke called them natural rights.

Which means the same thing.

Not really, natural rights are the rights you are born with, while unalienable rights are rights that cannot be taken away.

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Founded: Aug 24, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:16 am

Huntersunited wrote:Isn't censorship against our right to freedom of speech anyway?

Not if they insult someone, silly! Filthtm is the ultimate evil and banned in the US Constitution! Somewhere. Right beside the right to keep foreigners out of our beautiful country!
Last edited by Conserative Morality on Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
On the hate train. Choo choo, bitches. Bi-Polar. Proud Crypto-Fascist and Turbo Progressive. Dirty Étatist. Lowly Humanities Major. NSG's Best Liberal.
Caesar and Imperator of RWDT
Got a blog up again. || An NS Writing Discussion

Smunkeeville
Minister

Founded: Aug 09, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Smunkeeville » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:16 am

Smunkeeville wrote:I think you DO believe in censorship. I think you don't want to admit it. I think if I posted goatse right now you'd probably report me to your dear moderators.

Actually, I'd probably get out of the thread and wait for someone else to do it.

Why?
Yes. I want to know why you believe it's filth.

Why I believe what is filth?
"I like vacuuming, I find it cathartic. It's like I imagine all the people who tick me off being little pieces of lint and I'm sucking them up a tube into a vortex of terror, it's a healthy way to deal with my frustrations." - Smunkling, aged 8

Schwabenreich
Minister

Founded: Nov 24, 2009
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Schwabenreich » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:17 am

I only support political censoring. People should be able to cuss up a storm on prime time or any time, even if the whole world hears.
"The sovereign represents the state; he and his people form but one body, which can only be happy as far as united by concord. The prince is to a nation he governs, what a head is to a man; it is his duty to see, think and act for the whole community, that he may procure it every advantage of which it is capable."-Friedrich der Große

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:18 am

Smunkeeville wrote:Why?

Well, I'd get out of the thread because goatse...

Well, it's not pretty.

I'd wait for it to be removed because there's no sense in wishing off the inevitable.
Why I believe what is filth?

Don't play games.
On the hate train. Choo choo, bitches. Bi-Polar. Proud Crypto-Fascist and Turbo Progressive. Dirty Étatist. Lowly Humanities Major. NSG's Best Liberal.

Huntersunited
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Huntersunited » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:18 am

Huntersunited wrote:Isn't censorship against our right to freedom of speech anyway?

Not if they insult someone, silly! Filthtm is the ultimate evil and banned in the US Constitution! Somewhere. Right beside the right to keep foreigners out of our beautiful country!

Well, I'm insulted by censorship, does that not count?

Katganistan
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Katganistan » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:18 am

Surote wrote:I'm tired of the FCC censoring Television. I believe the govt can't tell me what is good for me to watch or not watch. If parents don't like programs don't let your kids watch be a parent(Lazy adults).

So what do ya'll think.

There's a reason there is a watershed -- so that some shows that are on WILL be suitable (and I use that term loosely) for children.

If you want all adult all the time, there's cable, and there are DVDs. Be an adult.

United Dependencies
Postmaster-General

Postby United Dependencies » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:19 am

Huntersunited wrote:
Huntersunited wrote:
Huntersunited wrote:
Huntersunited wrote:
Smunkeeville wrote:
Flameswroth wrote:I agree that other people's tastes shouldn't dictate the law, yes. Currently, my tastes ARE the law. It's other people's tastes that would change it at this point.

Call it a lack of confidence in the entertainment industry. Technically, I should trust the market's ability to provide censored channels for those of us who want them without government interference, and TBH I doubt most channels would change their formats to more vulgar ones even if those prohibitions were lifted. Even so, as I said, I think the more extreme sources of language, violence and sex in the media are a premium people should have to buy. :)

Charging people extra merely because you have a difference in taste with them. Wow.

Hi CM, how are you today? I'm not doing so well. I hurt my foot last night and I'm in pain and I have a really low threshold for bullshit. So, I'm going to try to make this short and sweet.

You do NOT have a right to entertainment. Entertainment costs money. You have to pay for it. If you want something that's uncommon you have to pay more. Such is life.

Well, we have the right of pursuit of happiness, and maybe my happiness is T.V. and censorship is stopping me from pursuing it.

Happiness is a difficult right to figure out. And it doesn't appear in the bill of rights.

Are you sure? It is one of our unalienable rights. (life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness

Only according to Jefferson. According to Locke it is actually life liberty and property.

Not really, natural rights are the rights you are born with, while unalienable rights are rights that cannot be taken away.

wikipedia wrote:natural rights (also called moral rights or unalienable rights) are rights which are not contingent upon the laws, customs, or beliefs of a particular society or polity. Natural rights are thus necessarily universal

Obamacult wrote:Maybe there is an economically sound and rational reason why there are no longer high paying jobs for qualified accountants, assembly line workers, glass blowers, blacksmiths, tanners, etc.

Maybe dragons took their jobs. Maybe unicorns only hid their jobs because unicorns are dicks. Maybe 'jobs' is only an illusion created by a drug addled infant pachyderm. Fuck dude, if we're in 'maybe' land, don't hold back.

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:19 am

Huntersunited wrote:Well, I'm insulted by censorship, does that not count?

Filthtm is naturally offensive, all those claiming otherwise are dangerous sociopaths who need to be locked up.

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:20 am

Katganistan wrote:There's a reason there is a watershed -- so that some shows that are on WILL be suitable (and I use that term loosely) for children.

If you want all adult all the time, there's cable, and there are DVDs. Be an adult.

So that others don't have to be an adult all the time. I see.

Huntersunited
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Huntersunited » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:20 am

Katganistan wrote:
Surote wrote:I'm tired of the FCC censoring Television. I believe the govt can't tell me what is good for me to watch or not watch. If parents don't like programs don't let your kids watch be a parent(Lazy adults).

So what do ya'll think.

There's a reason there is a watershed -- so that some shows that are on WILL be suitable (and I use that term loosely) for children.

If kids wanted to watch and find filth, they could easily on Google, so the good kids who don't just wouldn't watch inappropriate programs.

Katganistan
Senior Game Moderator

Postby Katganistan » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:21 am

Risottia wrote:
Conserative Morality wrote:The FCC was first made to prevent channels and radio stations from using the same frequencies. Now it's little more than the US department of censorship.

They should separate the two functions. With FCC going back to its original purpose, and a mixed governmental/academic/professional panel to check the contents and rate them.

Why introduce more bureaucracy so we can pay two completely different groups for doing what one does now?

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:21 am

Huntersunited wrote:If kids wanted to watch and find filth, they could easily on Google, so the good kids who don't just wouldn't watch inappropriate programs.

I still remember freaking out the first time I saw cartoon network had an 'Adult Swim' program and I turned on in the middle of it. :lol:

Huntersunited
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Huntersunited » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:21 am

Huntersunited wrote:
Huntersunited wrote:
Huntersunited wrote:
Huntersunited wrote:
Smunkeeville wrote:

wikipedia wrote:natural rights (also called moral rights or unalienable rights) are rights which are not contingent upon the laws, customs, or beliefs of a particular society or polity. Natural rights are thus necessarily universal

You can't trust wikipedia

United Dependencies
Postmaster-General

Postby United Dependencies » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:21 am

Huntersunited wrote:
Katganistan wrote:

So what do ya'll think.

If kids wanted to watch and find filth, they could easily on Google, so the good kids who don't just wouldn't watch inappropriate programs.

So because some people get around it we obviously need to get rid of it?

United Dependencies
Postmaster-General

Postby United Dependencies » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:22 am

Huntersunited wrote:
Huntersunited wrote:
Huntersunited wrote:
Huntersunited wrote:
Huntersunited wrote:
Smunkeeville wrote:

I disagree.

edit:but just to appease you.
historycentral wrote:Natural rights - rights, freedoms and privileges which are such a basic part of human nature that they cannot be taken away. These are different from rights which are given to people by the law. According to the Declaration of Independence, these rights include "life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness."

http://www.historycentral.com/Civics/N.html
Last edited by United Dependencies on Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:22 am

Katganistan wrote:Why introduce more bureaucracy so we can pay two completely different groups for doing what one does now?

Good question. Why do we separate the Senate and the House? Because putting all the power in one government body, or one body of any kind, is not always a good thing.

In fact, it's RARELY a good thing.

Katganistan
Senior Game Moderator

Postby Katganistan » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:22 am

Ashmoria wrote:yes.

So you support forcing your personal choice on thousands of other people because of a difference of taste? Wow.
because i dont like it, i support that it is restricted. im not creating restrictions that dont already exist. i appreciate that there are some outlets that are forced to obey some rules of decency.

And you get to define decency. How nice, Empress. Mind if I grovel as well, perhaps get the FCC to start censoring NSG to your tastes as well?
just as i appreciate that there are some outlets that can offer rougher mostly unregulated fare.

Uh huh. So if there's something that you don't like, you don't mind if it's banned from all but a few places? That's a very strange sentiment to be expressing on this particular day.

She supports the status quo. No need to get all nasty about it. You support change. Expect resistance.

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:23 am

Katganistan wrote:She supports the status quo. No need to get all nasty about it. You support change. Expect resistance.

I expect it.

Huntersunited
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Huntersunited » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:23 am

Huntersunited wrote:
Huntersunited wrote:
Huntersunited wrote:
Huntersunited wrote:
Huntersunited wrote:
Smunkeeville wrote:

I disagree.

It can be changed by anyone

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:24 am

Huntersunited wrote:It can be changed by anyone

So can an election. But the chances of someone casting a vote for some crackpot candidate just for the hell of it without someone voting for a respectable candidate to even it out are about the same as someone messing up wikipedia without someone correcting it.

Katganistan
Senior Game Moderator

Postby Katganistan » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:24 am

Flameswroth wrote:Their taste is more exotic, so they pay the extra price involved. It's like unlocking the full features of a trial version of software, or paying for a name brand product when generic is available. /shrug

It's more like buying Microsoft Word and only being able to use Times New Roman until you pay another ten dollars for every time you want to use a different font or font size. :meh:

So since you want to use fonts not included, pay for them? What's so tough about it?

Oh waaaah, I want what other people pay for for free?

Huntersunited
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Huntersunited » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:25 am

Huntersunited wrote:
Katganistan wrote:

So what do ya'll think.

So because some people get around it we obviously need to get rid of it?

Well, if people get around it easily, and if it inconveniences people, and since it would be easier to catch your kid watching inappropriate things on T.V. then on a computer, then yes.

Huntersunited
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Huntersunited » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:26 am

Huntersunited wrote:It can be changed by anyone

So can an election. But the chances of someone casting a vote for some crackpot candidate just for the hell of it without someone voting for a respectable candidate to even it out are about the same as someone messing up wikipedia without someone correcting it.

I guess your right.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General