NATION

PASSWORD

Green Guilt

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
Lysanders
Attaché

Founded: Nov 20, 2009
Ex-Nation

Green Guilt

Postby Lysanders » Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:34 pm

I thought this was an extremely interesting article, and I would be extremely interested in seeing how people take it. I imagine there will be a great deal of people who take offense at the idea of environmentalism being likened to religious faith, but it certainly strikes true to me. I am familiar with Nietzsche and his ideas, and I have long had similar thoughts about certain secular causes, but I never really made connection.

http://chronicle.com/article/Green-Guilt/63447/

I personally believe the western shame the author points to is far less inevitable than he wishes to make it seem. I don't believe that it is a necessary part of being civilized. There is a Sherlock Holmes quote where he states that modesty is no more a virtue than boastfulness, and I think this applies here. There is no reason we must accept shame and guilt in order to be civilized.

But enough of my rambling, do you agree that western shame built through traditional Christian values has lead to certain secular causes like environmentalism (at least amongst the very devoted?
Ever reviled, accursed, ne'er understood,
Thou art the grisly terror of our age.
"Wreck of all order," cry the multitude,
"Art thou, and war and murder's endless rage."
O, let them cry. To them that ne'er have striven
The truth that lies behind a word to find,
To them the word's right meaning was not given.
They shall continue blind among the blind.
But thou, O word, so clear, so strong, so pure,
Thou sayest all which I for goal have taken.
I give thee to the future! Thine secure
When each at least unto himself shall waken.
Comes it in sunshine? In the tempest's thrill?
I cannot tell--but it the earth shall see!
I am an Anarchist! Wherefore I will
Not rule, and also ruled I will not be!

Blouman Empire
Post Marshal

Founded: Sep 05, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Blouman Empire » Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:53 pm

Interesting concept, though it is probably more a case of what happens in most groups of people the person who is different is made to feel like an outcast until they conform.
You know you've made it on NSG when you have a whole thread created around what you said.
On the American/United Statesian matter "I'd suggest Americans go to their nation settings and change their nation prefix to something cooler." - The Kangaroo Republic
http://nswiki.net/index.php?title=Blouman_Empire

DBC26-Winner

Lysanders
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Lysanders » Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:09 pm

Blouman Empire wrote:Interesting concept, though it is probably more a case of what happens in most groups of people the person who is different is made to feel like an outcast until they conform.

True, but that doesn't explain how that person becomes outcast in the first place.

Urzamalandi
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 16, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Urzamalandi » Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:14 pm

from UK > USA > Australia > West Indies

UK and Australia are mad on environment and keeping it all green, USA makes itself fussed enough to appear proactive but seems to care very little really... Where i am now (Caribbean, West Indies), where it's needed most... We don't even have facilities to recycle aluminum here! I spent the last few years being all careful about recycling everything possible in all the multi-coloured trash cans and now i just have to chuck it all in the same black plastic bag.

I do get 2 garbage collections a week too... Down to bi-weekly in my previous English residence or so i'm told.
Economic Left/Right: -4.25
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.28

Brogavia wrote:Start wearing white robes and hand out fliers at college campuses talking about how you have discovered the true path happiness and all that junk.

Blouman Empire
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Blouman Empire » Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:25 pm

Lysanders wrote:
Blouman Empire wrote:Interesting concept, though it is probably more a case of what happens in most groups of people the person who is different is made to feel like an outcast until they conform.

True, but that doesn't explain how that person becomes outcast in the first place.

Well because they have been brought up that they must be green and that in order to be a good person you must be green those that don't do it are made to feel like an outcast because it isn't the norm and people have been brainwashed that to be different is bad and to not be green is bad. We still see it happening today from fashion to exterme greenies who are pushing for more and more luxries to be taken away.
You know you've made it on NSG when you have a whole thread created around what you said.
On the American/United Statesian matter "I'd suggest Americans go to their nation settings and change their nation prefix to something cooler." - The Kangaroo Republic

DBC26-Winner

Errinundera
Diplomat

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Errinundera » Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:56 pm

Couple of details points I disagree with in the article.

1) Christianity is egalitarian? Yeah, sure. Tell the pope and his cronies that.

2) The writer is surprised that children see animals as the equal of humans. In an godless universe no creature has a greater "right" to exist than any other. For sure, I have power over my pet cat but I don't have any superior moral existence.
The world is not cyclical, not eternal or immutable, but endlessly transforms itself, and never goes back, and we can assist in that transformation.

Live on, survive, for the earth gives forth wonders. It may swallow your heart, but the wonders keep on coming. You stand before them bareheaded, shriven. What is expected of you is attention.

(Salman Rushdie, The Ground Beneath Her Feet)

UnhealthyTruthseeker
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 16, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby UnhealthyTruthseeker » Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:59 pm

I remember Penn Jillette said that he never understood why the guilt needed to be there. If it turns out some of our practices harmed the environment, why couldn't we just do something about the problem without feeling guilty for our own Darwinian success?
Last edited by UnhealthyTruthseeker on Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A little homework for you!

What part of L(f(t)) = Int(exp(-s*t)*f(t),t,0,inf) don't you understand?

Panzerjaeger
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 15, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Panzerjaeger » Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:18 pm

Errinundera wrote:Couple of details points I disagree with in the article.

2) The writer is surprised that children see animals as the equal of humans. In an godless universe no creature has a greater "right" to exist than any other. For sure, I have power over my pet cat but I don't have any superior moral existence.

Catholicism and the Papacy does not equal Christianity.
Friendly Neighborhood Fascist™
ФАШИЗМ БЕЗГРАНИЧНЫЙ И КРАСНЫЙ
Caninope wrote:Toyota: Keep moving forward, even when you don't want to!

Christmahanikwanzikah wrote:Timothy McVeigh casts... Pyrotechnics!

Greater Americania wrote:lol "No Comrade Ivan! Don't stick your head in there! That's the wood chi...!"

New Kereptica wrote:Fascism: because people are too smart nowadays.

Errinundera
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Errinundera » Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:19 pm

Panzerjaeger wrote:

How many Christian religions are democratic?
The world is not cyclical, not eternal or immutable, but endlessly transforms itself, and never goes back, and we can assist in that transformation.

Live on, survive, for the earth gives forth wonders. It may swallow your heart, but the wonders keep on coming. You stand before them bareheaded, shriven. What is expected of you is attention.

(Salman Rushdie, The Ground Beneath Her Feet)

Panzerjaeger
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Panzerjaeger » Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:21 pm

Errinundera wrote:
Panzerjaeger wrote:

Democratic? Christianity is a Religion and not a System of Governance. If you mean rule by decree like the Papacy most aren't.

Also Democracy does not equal Egalitarianism that is moving the goal posts.
Last edited by Panzerjaeger on Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Greater Americania wrote:lol "No Comrade Ivan! Don't stick your head in there! That's the wood chi...!"

Blouman Empire
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Blouman Empire » Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:26 pm

Errinundera wrote:
Panzerjaeger wrote:

Last I checked the Pope got voted in.

DBC26-Winner

Allbeama
Senator

Founded: May 26, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Allbeama » Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:28 pm

Panzerjaeger wrote:
Errinundera wrote:
Panzerjaeger wrote:

Democratic? Christianity is a Religion and not a System of Governance. If you mean rule by decree like the Papacy most aren't.

Most Christianity refers to sheep and shepherds. Hardly sounds egalitarian to me. Inherent in the idea is there is the Masses that need to be led and an elite group of spiritually "superior" people that have some authority to exert over said masses. That is not in the spirit of egalitarianism. It is authoritarianism.
Last edited by Allbeama on Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Agonarthis Terra, My Homeworld.
The Internet loves you. mah Factbook

Hope lies in the smouldering rubble of Empires.

Panzerjaeger
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Panzerjaeger » Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:29 pm

Allbeama wrote:
Panzerjaeger wrote:
Errinundera wrote:
Panzerjaeger wrote:

Most Christianity refers to sheep and shepherds. Hardly sounds egalitarian to me. Inherent in the idea is there is the Masses that need to be lead and an elite group of spiritually superior people that have some authority to exert over said masses. That is not in the spirit of egalitarianism. It is authoritarianism.

So wrong but I'm not going to bother going at it and derailing this thread further.

Dragontide
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: May 01, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Dragontide » Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:30 pm

Another attack on Gore. Typical. :palm:

What is the religion connection between Joseph Fourier discovering greenhouse effect science 180 years ago, a continuation of the research that had a Harvard professor ask Al Gore back in the 70s to keep an eye on the climate and the Gore pointing out the obvious with a film?

What is religious about opening up green think tanks and new factories to create green products?

It's pretty easy to feel guilty now that the costs of climate change damage has skyrocketed.
Last edited by Dragontide on Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"The American way of life is non-negotiable" President George H. W. Bush (41) 1992 Earth Summit

"When you don't negotiate the circumstances that are sent to you by the universe, you automaticlly get assigned a new negotiating partner... Named 'REALITY'. And it will negotiate for you. You don't even have to be in the room."
James Howard Kunstler (writer)

JJ Place
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 30, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby JJ Place » Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:37 pm

UnhealthyTruthseeker wrote:I remember Penn Jillette said that he never understood why the guilt needed to be there. If it turns out some of our practices harmed the environment, why couldn't we just do something about the problem without feeling guilty for our own Darwinian success?

Alot has to do with governmental control and Big Buisness capitalizing on false "Green Gimckes". Corrupt big buisness buys into the government and vice-verse, leading to larger government and bigger buisness, as well as regulations on competion for the big buisness, all in favor of "Helping the Planet" as an excuse. Don't get me wrong, I'm for 100% no regulations on buisness, no government, and a clean and healthy envirment, it's all good for the human race. This is just another tactic to help the eilite stay in power, true "Envirmental Green" will only come when private indivuals start accually caring about our envirment.
The price of cheese is eternal Vignotte.

Barringtonia
Powerbroker

Founded: Feb 05, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Barringtonia » Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:56 pm

There's a difference between guilt and shame, and there is the idea that the West is a guilt-based society and the East is a shame-based society.

I'm not sure it can fully be explained by Christian values, and I wonder how much guilt-based society is a relatively recent phenomenon, a product of individualism and urbanisation over the last 2-300 years.

Where one is not tightly knitted into an extended family, where duties and responsibilities to those family members is deeply ingrained, then we lose the shame of letting down those members, we can only really let down ourselves and that induces guilt rather than shame, which requires a sense of duty to others.

I'd be interested to see studies of guilt levels in more rural areas compared to cities, let's face it, many of the fads come from cities, where often the individual is actually divorced from the reality of what they're guilty about, say animal welfare when they've never seen a live chicken.

I suspect it's much a reflection of an emptiness that comes with individualism, that we project that onto society as a whole and seek failings we want to redresss.
Last edited by Barringtonia on Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I hear babies cry, I watch them grow
They'll learn much more than I'll ever know
And I think to myself, what a wonderful world

Lysanders
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Lysanders » Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:30 pm

Blouman Empire wrote:
Lysanders wrote:

Well because they have been brought up that they must be green and that in order to be a good person you must be green those that don't do it are made to feel like an outcast because it isn't the norm and people have been brainwashed that to be different is bad and to not be green is bad. We still see it happening today from fashion to exterme greenies who are pushing for more and more luxries to be taken away.

That still doesn't trace things back to the origin. Again there must be some reason that people were brought up to be green, and anyways, this seems to be the first or second generation to really feel green guilt.

Dragontide wrote:Another attack on Gore. Typical. :palm:

What is the religion connection between Joseph Fourier discovering greenhouse effect science 180 years ago, a continuation of the research that had a Harvard professor ask Al Gore back in the 70s to keep an eye on the climate and the Gore pointing out the obvious with a film?

What is religious about opening up green think tanks and new factories to create green products?

I hardly see his point of view as being unfair to Gore or to climate research.

It's pretty easy to feel guilty now that the costs of climate change damage has skyrocketed.

What are the costs of climate change, and why should we feel guilty about it?

Dragontide
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: May 01, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Dragontide » Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:48 pm

Lysanders wrote:
I hardly see his point of view as being unfair to Gore or to climate research.

Then you missed that where is says:
There are also high priests of the new religion, with Al Gore ("the Goracle") playing an especially prophetic role.

What are the costs of climate change, and why should we feel guilty about it?

Fires harder to combat due to drought becoming more extreme. Bigger hurricanes to clean up after. Arnold Schwarzenegger screaming "Ve Vant Vater!!!" and wanting to build a new canal in California (a project that would be bigger than the Panama Canal project)
http://www.noaanews.noaa.gov/stories2008/20080619_climatereport.html
Among the major findings reported in this assessment are that droughts, heavy downpours, excessive heat, and intense hurricanes are likely to become more commonplace as humans continue to increase the atmospheric concentrations of heat-trapping greenhouse gases.

It adds up quick.
"The American way of life is non-negotiable" President George H. W. Bush (41) 1992 Earth Summit

"When you don't negotiate the circumstances that are sent to you by the universe, you automaticlly get assigned a new negotiating partner... Named 'REALITY'. And it will negotiate for you. You don't even have to be in the room."
James Howard Kunstler (writer)

Natapoc
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Natapoc » Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:06 am

The experiences of the author seem very atypical. They are either greatly exaggerated for dramatic effect or he lives in a very special place.

What he or she describes is more a reflection of the people he or she hangs out with than society at large.
Last edited by Natapoc on Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Did you see a ghost?

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General