NATION

PASSWORD

Boo To Age Restrictions

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Barzan
Minister

Founded: May 12, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Barzan » Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:58 pm

Tokos wrote:
Lunatic Goofballs wrote:In Connecticut, you have to be at least 16 to operate a motor vehicle(a multi-ton conglomeration of steel and glass) on public roads with thousands of other people in any weather at any time of day or night without restriction. However, you have to be 18 to operate a deli slicer because you might cut off your thumb.

:blink:

It's probably not the same people making each law.

If it is, then they are retarded, though.

I'd imagine that the latter regulation is there for WCB and liability reasons. If you get in an automobile crash, you have your own insurance. If you cut your thumb off at work, then the state and/or the company have to pay for it. The burden is placed on them instead of on you and your family.

It's all about money.
NOT affiliated with the Free Masons -- Barzan's flag does not incorporate masonic imagery
Political Compass: Economic Left/Right: -4.75 | Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: +1.03
"I have considerably less respect for people who nod and drool as talking heads in a box feed them pre-digested spoonfuls of opinutainment than someone that listens to and discusses with a variety of sources and opinions and then forms their own; regardless of whether I agree with them." - Lunatic Goofballs

Allbeama
Senator

Founded: May 26, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Allbeama » Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:09 pm

Lunatic Goofballs wrote:
Ifreann wrote:
Lunatic Goofballs wrote:In Connecticut, you have to be at least 16 to operate a motor vehicle(a multi-ton conglomeration of steel and glass) on public roads with thousands of other people in any weather at any time of day or night without restriction. However, you have to be 18 to operate a deli slicer because you might cut off your thumb.

:blink:

A metal box on wheels powered by explosions is obviously far safer than a deli slicer.

When you put it like that, I'm convinced. :)

This line of conversation is an epic win in mah book.
Agonarthis Terra, My Homeworld.
The Internet loves you. mah Factbook

Hope lies in the smouldering rubble of Empires.

Dazchan
Senator

Founded: Mar 24, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Dazchan » Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:28 pm

Dyakovo wrote:
Dazchan wrote:
greed and death wrote:
Dazchan wrote:
Quelesh wrote:Also, here's an interesting story I read today about children engaging in life saving behavior in Australia. And some people say that 11-year-olds don't possess the physical or cognitive capabilities necessary to save lives? These 8-year-olds certainly did.

So a couple of eight year olds pulled a body out of the water (aided, of course, by the fact that the human body is very bouyant - I can lift my 130kg boyfriend when he's submerged) and this means they have the stamina to perform rapid-fire chest compressions (not to mention, as I and others have said in the past, the physical strength to compress deeply enough) for an undetermined period of time?

Surf rescue is not the same as first aid.

So lets say this 11 year old cant. What differences does it make ?
An 11 year old trained in CPR is not going to deprive a dying man of an adult trained in CPR.
The natural reaction of both children and adults is when it is an emergency let the adult do it.
A child trained in CPR can only be a good thing, there is no negative consequences because an adult will naturally take over in those sorts of situations.

Um... I can't follow your reasoning. We should allow children to train in CPR because they'll naturally let adults do it instead? Why bother training them in the first place, then? Why not wait until they're old enough to do it?

No he was saying train them in CPR in case there are no trained adults to handle it. A child trained in CPR is better than nothing.

:palm: Given that most aren't physically able to perform the compression, I'd say it's equal to nothing. If the compression isn't deep enough, it's not going to work.

Also, did you know that it's actually illegal to stop CPR once it's started, unless someone else takes over or a medical professional intervenes? An ambulance can take quite some time to arrive. Would any eleven year old you know have the stamina to go on that long?
If you can read this, thank your teachers.

Vrolondia
Envoy

Founded: Mar 30, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Vrolondia » Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:39 pm

Want to learn basic first aid at a relitivly young age?
Swimming lessons. I dont know about where you live, but when I was around 11/13ish I was learning basic First aid like CPR, how to stop chocking, the right procedure, ect from Swimming lessons o-O
My hobbies include forming opinions about things and arguing on the internet.

Milozoldyck wrote:That's why I'm going back to RP. GP is hopeless. Have fun bringing those windmills to justice, Don Quixote.

Tangomania
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jan 10, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Tangomania » Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:45 pm

You will know and understand why when you are older!

Mean Feat
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 28, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Mean Feat » Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:45 pm

Blouman Empire wrote:
Mean Feat wrote:From the St. John's website, conditions of participating in a Senior First Aid course:

Prerequisite
Participants must be 14 years or older. Participants under 14 years must provide written permission to attend the course from their parent or legal guardian.

(If the link doesn't work, go to it's parent page St John's Queensland and click on 'read more' under 'book a First Aid course').

The first and second sentences contradict each other. The rule could be read either way.

Therefore, it is worth calling another office (Towoomba or Gold Coast) and seeing if you get a different answer. Or call the State office.

If you really want to throw your weight around like an adult, apply in writing.

Check what it Saint Johns South Australia says not Queensland.

Silly me, Whyalla SA not Wyalla Qld.

I looked at the stjohnsa.com.au but I couldn't find any specific age requirement. Booking a course requires registration on the site, and where that asks for age no year after 1995 can be selected, so I guess 14 is the minimum.

Still worth trying again I would say. The staffer the OP talked to might just never have heard that question before ...
— written by Mean Feat.

Mean Feat wrote:The Latham of the Liberals. Tony Abbott.

Tanya Plibersek Mon 22 Feb 2010 wrote:"Tony is the 'Mark Latham' of the Liberal Party.

She didn't get to explain why.

Mean Feat
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 28, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Mean Feat » Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:56 pm

Dazchan wrote:
Dyakovo wrote:
Dazchan wrote:
greed and death wrote:
Dazchan wrote:
Quelesh wrote:Also, here's an interesting story I read today about children engaging in life saving behavior in Australia. And some people say that 11-year-olds don't possess the physical or cognitive capabilities necessary to save lives? These 8-year-olds certainly did.

So a couple of eight year olds pulled a body out of the water (aided, of course, by the fact that the human body is very bouyant - I can lift my 130kg boyfriend when he's submerged) and this means they have the stamina to perform rapid-fire chest compressions (not to mention, as I and others have said in the past, the physical strength to compress deeply enough) for an undetermined period of time?

An 11 year old trained in CPR is not going to deprive a dying man of an adult trained in CPR.
The natural reaction of both children and adults is when it is an emergency let the adult do it.
A child trained in CPR can only be a good thing, there is no negative consequences because an adult will naturally take over in those sorts of situations.

Um... I can't follow your reasoning. We should allow children to train in CPR because they'll naturally let adults do it instead? Why bother training them in the first place, then? Why not wait until they're old enough to do it?

No he was saying train them in CPR in case there are no trained adults to handle it. A child trained in CPR is better than nothing.

:palm: Given that most aren't physically able to perform the compression, I'd say it's equal to nothing. If the compression isn't deep enough, it's not going to work.

How do you think that would play, if a very small adult did every part of the training properly and could perform CPR on many people but not really big ones? Would you refuse them certification because they aren't physically capable of it in every case?

Some 11-year-olds are bigger than some adults. Much bigger, even.

Mental competence and maturity of judgement are good reasons not to certify an 11-year old, and the trainer wouldn't certify them if they couldn't remember the technique or behaved immaturely in the class. Their physical size (which you are only guessing at anyway) is NOT a good reason.

Also, did you know that it's actually illegal to stop CPR once it's started, unless someone else takes over or a medical professional intervenes? An ambulance can take quite some time to arrive. Would any eleven year old you know have the stamina to go on that long?

And if they couldn't? You think a cop's going to bust them for trying until they collapse in exhaustion?
— written by Mean Feat.

Mean Feat wrote:The Latham of the Liberals. Tony Abbott.

Tanya Plibersek Mon 22 Feb 2010 wrote:"Tony is the 'Mark Latham' of the Liberal Party.

She didn't get to explain why.

Blouman Empire
Post Marshal

Founded: Sep 05, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Blouman Empire » Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:10 pm

Mean Feat wrote:Silly me, Whyalla SA not Wyalla Qld.

I looked at the stjohnsa.com.au but I couldn't find any specific age requirement. Booking a course requires registration on the site, and where that asks for age no year after 1995 can be selected, so I guess 14 is the minimum.

Still worth trying again I would say. The staffer the OP talked to might just never have heard that question before ...

Oh there is a Wyalla in Queensland, weird.
You know you've made it on NSG when you have a whole thread created around what you said.
On the American/United Statesian matter "I'd suggest Americans go to their nation settings and change their nation prefix to something cooler." - The Kangaroo Republic
http://nswiki.net/index.php?title=Blouman_Empire

DBC26-Winner

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:17 pm

Dazchan wrote:
Dyakovo wrote:
Dazchan wrote:
greed and death wrote:
Dazchan wrote:

A that depends on the child I know some pretty strong 11 year olds. Also the compressions aren't as hard as you think if you do them right its your weight that does the work. The exhaustion you feel is aerobic in nature not muscular.
B. when performing compression on a child you use shallower compressions because they are smaller. An 11 year old would be more then able to perform said compressions on his peers. You know the ones he would most likely have to perform them on.

C they can perform mouth the mouth alone, you know there are times when the heart is still beating but there is no breathing. You would then perform rescue breathing alone. You don't need to be strong to breath.

D. Your legally allowed to stop CPR when your no longer physically capable of it. If an 11 year old could not continue due to exhaustion then he is at no risk of legal liability.
Last edited by Greed and Death on Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

Velka Morava
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Sep 23, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Velka Morava » Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:10 am

greed and death wrote:
Dazchan wrote:
Dyakovo wrote:
Dazchan wrote:
greed and death wrote:
Dazchan wrote:

A that depends on the child I know some pretty strong 11 year olds. Also the compressions aren't as hard as you think if you do them right its your weight that does the work. The exhaustion you feel is aerobic in nature not muscular.
B. when performing compression on a child you use shallower compressions because they are smaller. An 11 year old would be more then able to perform said compressions on his peers. You know the ones he would most likely have to perform them on.

C they can perform mouth the mouth alone, you know there are times when the heart is still beating but there is no breathing. You would then perform rescue breathing alone. You don't need to be strong to breath.

D. Your legally allowed to stop CPR when your no longer physically capable of it. If an 11 year old could not continue due to exhaustion then he is at no risk of legal liability.

This ^
And let me add that I know a whole category of 8-11 years old that do have the stamina to perform a CPR for around 15 minutes. Competitive swimmers (Italian category: Esordienti B). Kids that can swim 200m breaststroke in 3.04.00. Kids that train 2-3 hours a day every day except saturday and sunday (when they race each other).
"Preemption is a tool. When you announce that preemption is your national strategy and you tell everyone, it begets preemption." - Lt. Gen. Paul Van Riper

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General