NATION

PASSWORD

The DHS's "Constitution Free" Zones

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Byzantium Imperial
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 22, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Byzantium Imperial » Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:01 pm

Electroconvulsive Glee wrote:
Hathradic States wrote:Sourceness Numbro Ein (The Daily Sheeple).
Source Numbar Dva (ACLU Website).

More Source:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/todd-mill ... 38075.html
http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2013/0 ... -seizures/

To sum it up, the Department of Homeland Security has the ability to search your electronic belongings for no reason, a clear violation of the US's 4th Amendment, within a hundred miles of the border. As you can see on the maps provided in the sources, this includes several entire states, such as Maine and Florida. At first, I was rather skeptical on this, given the original source, but the first article talked about the ACLU lawsuit over it, so I swallowed my conservative pride and checked there, where, indeed it does exist.

So, NSG, what are you thoughts on these actions? Is it reasonable, given the times we live in, or a gross breach of the US Constitution?

Myself, I find that, if the ACLU lawsuit makes it to the Supreme Court, they will likely say that, indeed, the actions are unconstitutional. Hopefully, it will do away with the policy.

I have not read this thread and do not intend to do so

I stopped reading there
New Pyrrhius wrote:Byzantium, eat a Snickers. You become an imperialistic psychopathic dictatorship when you're hungry.

The Grumpy Cat wrote:Their very existence... makes me sick.
After a short 600 year rest, the Empire is back, and is better then ever! After our grueling experience since 1453, no longer will our great empire be suppressed. The Ottomans may be gone, but the war continues!
I support Thermonuclear Warfare. Do you?
Proud member of The Anti Democracy League
Senator Willem de Ruyter of the Civic Reform Party

Yanalia
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 22, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Yanalia » Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:29 pm

More Source:

To sum it up, the Department of Homeland Security has the ability to search your electronic belongings for no reason, a clear violation of the US's 4th Amendment, within a hundred miles of the border. As you can see on the maps provided in the sources, this includes several entire states, such as Maine and Florida. At first, I was rather skeptical on this, given the original source, but the first article talked about the ACLU lawsuit over it, so I swallowed my conservative pride and checked there, where, indeed it does exist.

So, NSG, what are you thoughts on these actions? Is it reasonable, given the times we live in, or a gross breach of the US Constitution?

Myself, I find that, if the ACLU lawsuit makes it to the Supreme Court, they will likely say that, indeed, the actions are unconstitutional. Hopefully, it will do away with the policy.

I have not read this thread and do not intend to do so, so I apologize in advance if this is repetitive.

I believe there is legitimate cause for concern here and I am glad the ACLU is on top of this. However, nothing alleged comes close to the hyperbole of "DHS 'Constitution Free' Zones."

The ACLU blog is from 2008 and is based on a 2006 ACLU report. The follow-up DHS report in question is from 2009. Why The Daily Sheeple (??) appears to have gotten its bollocks in a twist this week is a mystery. As is why Wired suddenly decided this was a concern 6 months ago. The Huffington Post's article is also 6 months old.

Finally, much of what is complained about from all these sources (including the ACLU) is rather unsurprising and not disturbing. When one actually crosses the U.S. border, it has essentially always been the case that the ability of the government to conduct search and seizures is extremely broad (although the 4th Amendment clearly applies). Checkpoints within the borders and some other mentioned measures have been in place for decades and are minimally intrusive and/or already determined to be constitutional. (As a resident of San Diego, I also know that many such checkpoints and measures are technically in place, but are actually rarely actually used. The checkpoints are usually not even manned and you drive right through at highway speed.)

Be concerned, but do not be hysterical.

Well, except for the fact that "crossing the border" has been interpreted as "living within 100 miles of it."
Economic Left/Right: -9.12
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.33

Free South Califas wrote:Dammit Byzantium, stop spraying your ignorance on everyone.

Electroconvulsive Glee
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Apr 20, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Electroconvulsive Glee » Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:30 pm

Byzantium Imperial wrote:
Electroconvulsive Glee wrote:I have not read this thread and do not intend to do so

I stopped reading there

Goody for you. Your deliberate ignorance is most commendable.
Some of the greatest satire ever, by my hero, Hammurab
  • Marcus Aurelius, The Meditations, Bk. XIII, No. LXIX: "They can all just fuck off. I'm sick of this shit and I'm going home."
  • Butthole Surfers: "I hate cough syrup, don't you?"
  • Socrates in Plato's Mentītus: "I can explain it to you, Dudious, but how can I understand it for you? Hmm?"

Yanalia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Yanalia » Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:31 pm

Byzantium Imperial wrote:I stopped reading there

Goody for you. Your deliberate ignorance is most commendable.

So is yours? :?:

Free South Califas wrote:Dammit Byzantium, stop spraying your ignorance on everyone.

The Orson Empire
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 20, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby The Orson Empire » Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:31 pm

Ahh, another example of how the U.S. is becoming a police state.

Electroconvulsive Glee
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Electroconvulsive Glee » Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:36 pm

Yanalia wrote:
I have not read this thread and do not intend to do so, so I apologize in advance if this is repetitive.

I believe there is legitimate cause for concern here and I am glad the ACLU is on top of this. However, nothing alleged comes close to the hyperbole of "DHS 'Constitution Free' Zones."

The ACLU blog is from 2008 and is based on a 2006 ACLU report. The follow-up DHS report in question is from 2009. Why The Daily Sheeple (??) appears to have gotten its bollocks in a twist this week is a mystery. As is why Wired suddenly decided this was a concern 6 months ago. The Huffington Post's article is also 6 months old.

Finally, much of what is complained about from all these sources (including the ACLU) is rather unsurprising and not disturbing. When one actually crosses the U.S. border, it has essentially always been the case that the ability of the government to conduct search and seizures is extremely broad (although the 4th Amendment clearly applies). Checkpoints within the borders and some other mentioned measures have been in place for decades and are minimally intrusive and/or already determined to be constitutional. (As a resident of San Diego, I also know that many such checkpoints and measures are technically in place, but are actually rarely actually used. The checkpoints are usually not even manned and you drive right through at highway speed.)

Well, except for the fact that "crossing the border" has been interpreted as "living within 100 miles of it."

I am aware that is the concern -- although it is an exaggeration. No one is actually claiming that the border is 100 miles wide or that merely living within 100 miles of the border is the same as crossing it. Something absurdly along that lines is being asserted, but there is a distinction.

Otherwise, the relevant portion of my post referred to "much of what is complained about" and at least tried to make clear the distinction between "actually crossing the border" and internal checkpoints, etc. I apologize for any confusion. I was, for example, meaning to note that specific "horror stories" given in the various articles referred to those actually physically crossing the precise U.S. border.
  • Marcus Aurelius, The Meditations, Bk. XIII, No. LXIX: "They can all just fuck off. I'm sick of this shit and I'm going home."
  • Socrates in Plato's Mentītus: "I can explain it to you, Dudious, but how can I understand it for you? Hmm?"

Electroconvulsive Glee
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Electroconvulsive Glee » Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:37 pm

Yanalia wrote:
Electroconvulsive Glee wrote:Goody for you. Your deliberate ignorance is most commendable.

So is yours? :?:

Fair point. 8)
I am not, however, ignorant on this subject. (Which is not an implication either way as to you, Byzantium Imperial, or any other poster.) I am familiar with this subject matter for many reasons and read all the linked OP sources (and links therein). It may be that there is information in this thread of which I am unaware and I could learn from reading it, but that is usually not the case with NSG -- particularly with threads that start from false premises.
Last edited by Electroconvulsive Glee on Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Ben Boys
Senator

Founded: Apr 16, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby The Ben Boys » Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:46 pm

Well, shit.

I'm going to go delete my browsing history now...

"Both Religion and science require a belief in God. For believers, God is in the beginning, and for physicists He is at the end of all considerations"-Max Planck

Packers Nation

Phing Phong
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 04, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Phing Phong » Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:53 pm

At least you have a Fourth Amendment and Constitution which will hopefully smack the DHS back into shape. In the UK there is nothing to stop the government doing this if it so chooses.

The Ben Boys wrote:Well, shit.

I'm going to go delete my browsing history now...

I hope you know how to delete it from the NSA databases as well.
Incompetent Buddhist, liberal centrist and militant queer

Embassy Program | NSwiki Pages | Factbook | Map | National Anthem | Constitution | Phing Phong Fine Rices | Culture Test
Member of the Stonewall Alliance, open to all LGBT-friendly nations!

Muzzak
Civil Servant

Founded: Jul 10, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Muzzak » Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:02 pm

glad you all voted/supported obama now huh
Bezombia wrote:
Patistan wrote:laws are meant to be followed not broken

yes, but America only exists to break those laws and then run away from the international community yelling "trololololol FREEDOM lolol".

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Founded: Dec 20, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:03 pm

Muzzak wrote:glad you all voted/supported obama now huh

Yes.
"The Nixon campaign in 1968, and the Nixon White House after that, had two enemies: the antiwar left and black people. You understand what I'm saying? We knew we couldn't make it illegal to be either against the war or black, but by getting the public to associate the hippies with marijuana and blacks with heroin, and then criminalizing both heavily, we could disrupt those communities. We could arrest their leaders. raid their homes, break up their meetings, and vilify them night after night on the evening news. Did we know we were lying about the drugs? Of course we did."—former Nixon domestic policy chief John Ehrlichman

Blakk Metal
Negotiator

Founded: Jun 07, 2012
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Blakk Metal » Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:06 pm

This has nothing to with Obama. As all the Libtards say, both sides are the same.

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 29, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:09 pm

Obama doesn't pass laws, Congress does.

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:15 pm

More Source:

If you keep calming people down I will be forced to up my hyperbole and poes to make them panic.
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

Maineiacs
Negotiator

Founded: May 26, 2005
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Maineiacs » Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:53 pm

The Serbian Empire wrote:
Libertarian California wrote:
Regnum, we live in occupied territory. :eek:

I just hope Michigan is given to Canada at this point. I'd welcome the Canadian overlords.

Same for Maine.
Economic:-8.12 Social:-7.59 Moral Rules:5 Moral Order:-5
Muravyets: Maineiacs, you are brilliant, too! I stand in delighted awe.
Sane Outcasts:When your best case scenario is five kilometers of nuclear contamination, you know someone fucked up.
Geniasis: Christian values are incompatible with Conservative ideals. I cannot both follow the teachings of Christ and be a Republican. Therefore, I choose to not be a Republican.
Galloism: If someone will build a wall around Donald Trump, I'll pay for it.
Bottle tells it like it is
add 6,928 to post count

Muzzak
Civil Servant

Founded: Jul 10, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Muzzak » Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:15 pm

Mavorpen wrote:

Yes.

so your happy your rights ar being taken away correct?
Bezombia wrote:
Patistan wrote:laws are meant to be followed not broken

yes, but America only exists to break those laws and then run away from the international community yelling "trololololol FREEDOM lolol".

Blakk Metal
Negotiator

Founded: Jun 07, 2012
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Blakk Metal » Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:16 pm

Muzzak wrote:
Mavorpen wrote:Yes.

so your happy your rights ar being taken away correct?

Romney and McCain would've done the same. Gas chamber for the lot of them.

Electroconvulsive Glee
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Electroconvulsive Glee » Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:27 pm

Um. Given that the so-called "DHS 'Constitution Free' zones" were in place before 2006 and President Obama was elected in 2008 (took office in January 2009), perhaps you should reconsider such off-topic trolling.

Granted, to the extent these policies continue and are objectionable, the Obama Administration is culpable, but the notion that John McCain or Mitt Romney would have ceased such policies (instead of expand them) is laughable.

Hallistar
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 21, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Hallistar » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:37 pm

I remember when this was first brought up back in 2006 on some news articles, and what's sad is the frequency of things like these that slip under the radar because people don't feel that such a thing could happen in the first place. For the record, the US is not the only country guilty of trying to pull crap behind the scenes. The UK, Australia, NZ, Germany, Canada, South Korea, Japan, France, Greece, UAE, Turkey, Russia, Mexico (Although then again people seem to expect the latter two to be among the most corrupt anyways), and on and on have also passed controversial bills and legislation and seedy action that also infringed on personal freedoms and privacy that have also drawn the rightful ire of people. Nevertheless, this is still disgusting. I'm not in the zone but still.
Last edited by Hallistar on Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

TotallyNotEvilLand
Senator

Founded: May 29, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby TotallyNotEvilLand » Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:41 am

Despite the fact that I'm not in this zone.

What the fuck, America? You're becoming the same thing you claimed to fight against all these years. What happened to your freedom-loving ways? Oh, sure, we're more free than the USSR or North Korea could ever dream of being, but you're on a steady path to becoming an all-controlling shithole. I sincerely hope that if goes too much further the people will revolt before they assume total control of the country. This simply cannot be allowed to continue.
Liquid Wallaby Characters, Updated 4/27 (Rough sketches for Creezul and Kehelli are completed)
If you use the term SJW or 'politically correct' to describe anyone left of center, I'm pretty sure that destroys all of your credibility as an intelligent human being. Quit being a twit and use something other than a buzzword to make your point.
A Moderately-Talented But Very Unreliable Roleplayer
Current flag is Frisk's Unamused Face

Yanalia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Yanalia » Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:50 am

TotallyNotEvilLand wrote:Despite the fact that I'm not in this zone.

What the fuck, America? You're becoming the same thing you claimed to fight against all these years. What happened to your freedom-loving ways? Oh, sure, we're more free than the USSR or North Korea could ever dream of being, but you're on a steady path to becoming an all-controlling shithole. I sincerely hope that if goes too much further the people will revolt before they assume total control of the country. This simply cannot be allowed to continue.

The freedom-loving ways never really existed. They just have the tech to do it differently now.

New Chalcedon
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 20, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby New Chalcedon » Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:02 am

More Source:

Gross breach of the Constitution.

Fourth Amendment to the Constitution of the United States wrote:The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized

It's almost as bad as the TSA gropecheck-points at airports. Then again, virtually the entire security-state apparatus is grossly un-Constitutional: doesn't support the Supremes supporting it on a regular basis.

After all, this is the Roberts Court: rights are for corporate persons only; biologicals can just suck it up.
Fuck it all. Let the world burn - there's no way roaches could do a worse job of being decent than we have.

Malfyria
Envoy

Founded: Jun 07, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Malfyria » Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:43 am

US government: Spies on people....Pope: Catholic......Bears: shit in woods.

More breaking news at 10:00.

Benuty
Post Czar

Founded: Jan 21, 2013
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Benuty » Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:00 am

Change Spike Jones " In Der Fuhrers Face" to "In the Presidents Face''. Then change some of the lyrics and insert a " Shove it up your kumquat DHS" every now & then, thus you have the new song.
Last edited by Hashem 13.8 billion years ago
King of Madness in the Right Wing Discussion Thread. Winner of 2016 Posters Award for Insanity. Please be aware my posts in NSG, and P2TM are separate.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General