NATION

PASSWORD

Anarchism

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

The Parkus Empire
Post Czar

Founded: Sep 12, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby The Parkus Empire » Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:48 pm

Agorya wrote:And communism works off the assumption that men can pick government, but cannot pick where to shop or work. It's absurd.

False dichotomy.
American Orthodox: one, holy, catholic, and apostolic church.
Jesus is Allah ن
Burkean conservative
Homophobic
Anti-feminist sexist
♂Copy and paste this in your sig if you passed biology and know men and women aren't the same.♀

Threlizdun
Post Marshal

Founded: Jun 14, 2009
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Threlizdun » Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:52 pm

Agorya wrote:Anarchy doesn't mean without hierarchy, it means without governance, and is applied to the individual and not the collective.
No, it means without hierarchy. Only a fool would propose that we could have a functioning society without government.

And communism works off the assumption that men can pick government, but cannot pick where to shop or work. It's absurd.
It does no such thing
She/they

Communalist, Social Ecologist, Bioregionalist

This site stresses me out, so I rarely come on here anymore. I'll try to be civil and respectful towards those I'm debating on here. If you don't extend the same courtesy then I'll probably just ignore you.

If we've been friendly in the past and you want to keep in touch, shoot me a telegram

Gernonai
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 26, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Gernonai » Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:52 pm

Ikania wrote:For Anarchism to work, you need to have a genuinely healthy and content society.
I've always said to myself that Anarchism could work if people could be trusted to govern themselves. But the truth is, they can't be trusted. There are wackos out there that need containment. If you have no police force to stop murders or asylums to keep these people, everyone is in danger. People need to be regulated, because if you don't tell them they can't do something, they'll do it.
"Oh, well there isn't a law against it, so it must be legal." That's the problem. Sure, there would be some people who'd be fine- even better off- with Anarchism. But if you include the psychopaths and murderers and rapists, you get complete chaos.
So no, I don't think Anarchy is good.

Anarchism is not without law, it is without hierarchy. Laws would be in place but they would be put in place by people on equal footing with equal say.
A New Ideology!
Factbook
Current Commander-In-Chief: General Hans Albeer
Total Military Strength- 65,000,000 (10,000,000 Active, 55,000,000 Reserve)

Personnel Distribution:
National Guard: 1,500,000
Army: 18,000,000
Air Force: 16,500,000
Air Defense Network: 5,000,000
Navy: 15,000,000
Coast Guard: 6,000,000
Special Forces: 3,000,000

Military Alert Level- {5}4321

Current Fuhrer: Ernst Ueden
Current Senate Majority Ideology: National Conservative Party
Current Minister of Defense: General Marc Antoin
Current Minister of the Navy: Albert Tytia
Current Minister of Aerial Defense: Hanf von Skovi
Current Minister of Economics: Rubert Eichfon
Current Supreme Judge: Karl Luntung
Current Minister of Foreign Affairs: Skott Nister

Vareiln
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 09, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Vareiln » Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:53 pm

Ostroeuropa wrote:
Vareiln wrote:Democracy and anarchism aren't mutually exclusive, and indeed, most forms of anarchy feature democratic governance. However, the vast majority of democratic societies existing today have social hierarchies, and thus they cannot be classified as anarchic in any way.

But the hierarchies are voluntary.
The same as an anarcho-capitalist system.

Hierarchies aren't voluntary in those models.
Last edited by Vareiln on Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ostroeuropa
Khan of Spam

Founded: Jun 14, 2006
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Ostroeuropa » Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:55 pm

Vareiln wrote:
Ostroeuropa wrote:

Hierarchies aren't voluntary in those models.

How so?
What is the functional difference?
Why is one voluntary and not the other?
Ostro.MOV

There is an out of control trolley speeding towards Jeremy Bentham, who is tied to the track. You can pull the lever to cause the trolley to switch tracks, but on the other track is Immanuel Kant. Bentham is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Critique of Pure Reason. Kant is clutching the only copy in the universe of The Principles of Moral Legislation. Both men are shouting at you that they have recently started to reconsider their ethical stances.

The Parkus Empire
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby The Parkus Empire » Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:56 pm

Ostroeuropa wrote:
Vareiln wrote:Democracy and anarchism aren't mutually exclusive, and indeed, most forms of anarchy feature democratic governance. However, the vast majority of democratic societies existing today have social hierarchies, and thus they cannot be classified as anarchic in any way.

Anarcho-capitalism does not make being poor voluntary.
Jesus is Allah ن
Burkean conservative
Homophobic
Anti-feminist sexist
♂Copy and paste this in your sig if you passed biology and know men and women aren't the same.♀

Agorya
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 04, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Agorya » Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:00 pm

No, it means without hierarchy. Only a fool would propose that we could have a functioning society without government.

Hierarchal organization that is voluntarily brought upon by the individual's consent to participate it in, as hierarchy is natural and immutable part of human tribal structure since prehistory. To erase hierarchy from the equation would create a paradox.
Last edited by Agorya on Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Libertarian Purity Score: 142/160

Economic Left/Right: 8.62
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.13

Disregard love, amass capital.

Also, Bonobos.

Threlizdun
Post Marshal

Founded: Jun 14, 2009
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Threlizdun » Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:03 pm

Agorya wrote:Hierarchal organization that is voluntarily brought upon by the individual's consent to participate it in, as hierarchy is natural and immutable part of human tribal structure since prehistory. To erase hierarchy from the equation would create a paradox.
No, it isn't. Throughout all of recorded history we have knowledge of the existence of societies without hierarchies.
She/they

Communalist, Social Ecologist, Bioregionalist

This site stresses me out, so I rarely come on here anymore. I'll try to be civil and respectful towards those I'm debating on here. If you don't extend the same courtesy then I'll probably just ignore you.

If we've been friendly in the past and you want to keep in touch, shoot me a telegram

The Parkus Empire
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby The Parkus Empire » Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:20 pm

Agorya wrote:

Hierarchal organization that is voluntarily brought upon by the individual's consent to participate it in, as hierarchy is natural and immutable part of human tribal structure since prehistory. To erase hierarchy from the equation would create a paradox.

No, that's just the assumption. You don't need hierarchy in a society any more than you need hierarchy in a romantic relationship.
Jesus is Allah ن
Burkean conservative
Homophobic
Anti-feminist sexist

Agorya
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Agorya » Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:38 pm

The Parkus Empire wrote:
Agorya wrote:

No, that's just the assumption. You don't need hierarchy in a society any more than you need hierarchy in a romantic relationship.

No, it isn't. Hierarchies form naturally when the person who has the most influence uses his influence to compel others. People naturally submit to a higher authority, and once that happens the authority (illegitimately) seals his authority through law. The purpose of anarchy then would be to remove this authority that is enforced by law.

There is a lot of psychological tests done on this, if you want me to bring it up.

Also, Bonobos.

The Parkus Empire
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby The Parkus Empire » Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:39 pm

Agorya wrote:
The Parkus Empire wrote:No, that's just the assumption. You don't need hierarchy in a society any more than you need hierarchy in a romantic relationship.

No, it isn't. Hierarchies form naturally when the person who has the most influence uses his influence to compel others. People naturally submit to a higher authority, and once that happens the authority (illegitimately) seals his authority through law. The purpose of anarchy then would be to remove this authority that is enforced by law.

There is a lot of psychological tests done on this, if you want me to bring it up.

So they're necessary for a romantic relationship?
Jesus is Allah ن
Burkean conservative
Homophobic
Anti-feminist sexist

Frisivisia
Post Marshal

Founded: Aug 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Frisivisia » Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:40 pm

Anarchism is stupid.
Impeach The Queen, Legalize Anarchy, Stealing Things Is Not Theft. Sex Pistols 2017.
I'm the evil gubmint PC inspector, here to take your Guns, outlaw your God, and steal your freedom and give it to black people.
I'm Joe Biden. So far as you know.

For: Anarchy, Punk Rock Fury
Against: Thatcher, Fascists, That Fascist Thatcher, Reagan, Nazi Punks, Everyone
"Am I buggin' ya? I don't mean to bug ya." - Bono
Let's cram some more shit in my sig. Cool people cram shit in their sigs. In TECHNICOLOR!

Vareiln
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Vareiln » Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:41 pm

Frisivisia wrote:Anarchism is stupid.

Such deep insight man

The Parkus Empire
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby The Parkus Empire » Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:41 pm

Why don't you actually become an anarchist before you start judging it?
Jesus is Allah ن
Burkean conservative
Homophobic
Anti-feminist sexist

Frisivisia
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Frisivisia » Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:43 pm

The Parkus Empire wrote:

Why don't you actually become an anarchist before you start judging it?

*becomes anarchist*

Why do I have acne and a strong urge to read Neitzsche and make bombs? This is horrible!

*no longer anarchist*
Impeach The Queen, Legalize Anarchy, Stealing Things Is Not Theft. Sex Pistols 2017.
I'm the evil gubmint PC inspector, here to take your Guns, outlaw your God, and steal your freedom and give it to black people.

Against: Thatcher, Fascists, That Fascist Thatcher, Reagan, Nazi Punks, Everyone
Let's cram some more shit in my sig. Cool people cram shit in their sigs. In TECHNICOLOR!

Agorya
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Agorya » Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:44 pm

The Parkus Empire wrote:
Agorya wrote:

So they're necessary for a romantic relationship?

No. No hierarchy will be formed as long as the female won't allow the male to have any influence over here, whether physical or mental. I will say that there might be a natural inclination on the males part, although that's just me being sexist.

Also, Bonobos.

Vareiln
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Vareiln » Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:46 pm

Frisivisia wrote:
The Parkus Empire wrote:Why don't you actually become an anarchist before you start judging it?

*becomes anarchist*

Why do I have acne and a strong urge to read Neitzsche and make bombs? This is horrible!

*no longer anarchist*

You know, Fris, I respect you. I really do. I consider you one of the better members of this forum. Someone who's usually very well-informed, rational, etc.
However, in this post, you're being rather irrational(Unless you're just using satire and I'm sucking with my reading comprehension right now). You know that teenage angst isn't anarchy.

Frisivisia
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Frisivisia » Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:47 pm

Vareiln wrote:
Frisivisia wrote:*becomes anarchist*

*no longer anarchist*

You know, Fris, I respect you. I really do. I consider you one of the better members of this forum. Someone who's usually very well-informed, rational, etc.
However, in this post, you're being rather irrational(Unless you're just using satire and I'm sucking with my reading comprehension right now). You know that teenage angst isn't anarchy.

I'm not being serious. Whenever I'm not being rational and well-informed, I'm not being serious.

Vareiln
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Vareiln » Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:48 pm

Frisivisia wrote:
Vareiln wrote:You know, Fris, I respect you. I really do. I consider you one of the better members of this forum. Someone who's usually very well-informed, rational, etc.

I'm not being serious. Whenever I'm not being rational and well-informed, I'm not being serious.

Yup, my reading comprehension sucks. :lol:

Agorya
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Agorya » Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:49 pm

Vareiln wrote:

*no longer anarchist*

Yeah, neo Nazism could be described as teenage angst too and it is anything but anarchic.

Also, Bonobos.

Frisivisia
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Frisivisia » Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:50 pm

Agorya wrote:
Vareiln wrote:You know, Fris, I respect you. I really do. I consider you one of the better members of this forum. Someone who's usually very well-informed, rational, etc.

Yeah, neo Nazism could be described as teenage angst too and it is anything but anarchic.

In all fairness, anarcho-capitalism is one of the more horrible systems I can think of and anarcho-communism is a pipe dream and probably fairly unworkable to boot.

Social Democracy, awaaaaaaaaaaay!

The Parkus Empire
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby The Parkus Empire » Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:51 pm

Frisivisia wrote:
The Parkus Empire wrote:Why don't you actually become an anarchist before you start judging it?

*becomes anarchist*

*no longer anarchist*

If you adhere to Nietzsche, you cannot read him. These two are virtually mutually exclusive on the internet.
Last edited by The Parkus Empire on Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jesus is Allah ن
Burkean conservative
Homophobic
Anti-feminist sexist

Vareiln
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Vareiln » Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:52 pm

Frisivisia wrote:
Agorya wrote:

In all fairness, anarcho-capitalism is one of the more horrible systems I can think of and anarcho-communism is a pipe dream and probably fairly unworkable to boot.

Social Democracy, awaaaaaaaaaaay!

There's a commune my friend is at right now. It works pretty well, apparently, though I haven't spoken to her much recently.
Of course, that's a small-scale eco-anarcho-commune, so make of that what you will.

Lemanrussland
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 10, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Lemanrussland » Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:52 pm

I don't think an Anarchist society would be any meaningfully different than a statist one.

Authority and coercion will still exist. Even when there is no state, it will exist in all but name. People are naturally coercive, submit to authority, and organize in groups. That's why history played out like it did.
Last edited by Lemanrussland on Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Frisivisia
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Frisivisia » Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:52 pm

The Parkus Empire wrote:

*no longer anarchist*

If you adhere to Nietzsche, you cannot read him.

If you adhere to Nietzsche, you're not adhering to Nietzsche, really.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General