NATION

PASSWORD

Escaping the 'Gay Culture'

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Katganistan
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Katganistan » Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:48 pm

Bottle wrote:
St George wrote:This needs repeating again and again and again. It is a huge part of what Pride is about, showing ourselves and everyone else that it doesn't matter if you're as camp as Liberace (and that closet case has a /lot/ to answer for with regards to 'gay' culture) or are seen as 'straight as a board', everyone who identifies as queer, lgbt, whatever, is a natural, acceptable, lovable human being who isn't some freak who should be persecuted,whether that persecution comes from the state or from individuals.

I think what people are having trouble with is that Pride culture is evolving just like every other aspect of culture, and the pace of that evolution doesn't suit everyone.

Pride 1.0 was about fighting for and establishing the space to be out of the closet. Naturally, this tended to emphasize the aspects of gay culture that are distinct from mainstream culture, most obviously the camp culture for men which is so very transgressive because AMG GIRL COOTIES.

Pride 2.0 is more about fighting for and establishing the reality that, once out of the closet, gay people are just like everyone else. That is to say, gay people are a diverse group that is not defined purely by their faggitude. In some ways this will be harder than Pride 1.0, because 1.0 was about carving out our own space and 2.0 is about getting everyone to recognize that we are sharing the same space as non-queers. That can actually be a fuck of a lot more threatening to people, as evidenced by all the 'phobes who are okay with fags as long as we keep our fagging out of their sightline and don't accidentally remind them we exist.

The message that masculinity does not belong to straight men alone is going to cause some heads to explode (just ask the feminist movement about that one), and not just for straight people.

Which, in fact, is being illustrated quite clearly in this thread.

Bottle
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 30, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Bottle » Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:48 pm

Choronzon wrote:
Bottle wrote:Except...no?

I mean, I literally cannot think of anybody who holds that as the "primary picture" of gay culture.

I can, actually.

They're giant, unapologetic, raging homophobes however.

Well I guess that kind of supports my point. Cause, see, I live in a place where we've had gay marriage for a decade, so raging homophobes are the ones who are in the closet 'round these parts. Loud, out, Proud gay people did their flamboyant thang so well that we have effectively silenced the dwindling minority who are stupid enough that they can't tell the difference between a parade and a PTA meeting.
"Until evolution happens like in pokemon I'll never accept your 'evidence'!" -Ifreann
"Well, excuuuuuuse me, feminist." -Ende

The Parkus Empire
Post Czar

Founded: Sep 12, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby The Parkus Empire » Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:49 pm

WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH FEATHER BOAS?? SERIOUSLY WHAT THE FUCK?? DO THEY REMIND PEOPLE OF PENISES OR SOMETHING?!?!
American Orthodox: one, holy, catholic, and apostolic church.
Jesus is Allah ن
Burkean conservative
Homophobic
Anti-feminist sexist
♂Copy and paste this in your sig if you passed biology and know men and women aren't the same.♀

Bottle
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Bottle » Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:50 pm

The Parkus Empire wrote:WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH FEATHER BOAS?? SERIOUSLY WHAT THE FUCK?? DO THEY REMIND PEOPLE OF PENISES OR SOMETHING?!?!

And now I want a boa made of tiny sparkly penises.
"Until evolution happens like in pokemon I'll never accept your 'evidence'!" -Ifreann

Yumyumsuppertime
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jun 21, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Yumyumsuppertime » Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:50 pm

The Parkus Empire wrote:WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH FEATHER BOAS?? SERIOUSLY WHAT THE FUCK?? DO THEY REMIND PEOPLE OF PENISES OR SOMETHING?!?!

I'm never going to look at Hulk Hogan the same way again.

The Blaatschapen
Technical Moderator

Anarchy

Postby The Blaatschapen » Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:50 pm

They're so like, 80s. Ugh, really not fashionable anymore these days.
The Blaatschapen should resign

Frisivisia
Post Marshal

Founded: Aug 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Frisivisia » Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:50 pm

Bottle wrote:

I want a model penis made of feather boas.
Impeach The Queen, Legalize Anarchy, Stealing Things Is Not Theft. Sex Pistols 2017.
I'm the evil gubmint PC inspector, here to take your Guns, outlaw your God, and steal your freedom and give it to black people.
I'm Joe Biden. So far as you know.

For: Anarchy, Punk Rock Fury
Against: Thatcher, Fascists, That Fascist Thatcher, Reagan, Nazi Punks, Everyone
"Am I buggin' ya? I don't mean to bug ya." - Bono
Let's cram some more shit in my sig. Cool people cram shit in their sigs. In TECHNICOLOR!

Occupied Deutschland
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Occupied Deutschland » Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:51 pm

I'm just confused about what a feather boa is.

I mean, birds and snakes are natural enemies, I'm not seeing how they could come together for something.
I'm General Patton.
Even those who are gone are with us as we go on.

Been busy lately--not around much.

Cadaver breadsticks
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 16, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Cadaver breadsticks » Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:51 pm

I heard they're reminiscent of Chandler Bing's father.
do not meddle in the affairs of dragons
subtract 24,817 from my post count
another lgbt autistic teenager
pro: melodic hardcore, japanese things
anti: everything

Dakini
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Dakini » Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:51 pm

Well... the feathers do tend to get everywhere.

Other than that, maybe it's because they're traditionally feminine accessories and people have to remind everyone how much they hate women by taking it out on everything that's remotely associated with women.

Frisivisia
Post Marshal

Founded: Aug 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Frisivisia » Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:52 pm

Occupied Deutschland wrote:

I mean, birds and snakes are natural enemies, I'm not seeing how they could come together for something.

Eventually, some Amazonian snakes realized that it would be really cool if they could fly. They thus became feather boas, the only non-winged flying animal.
Impeach The Queen, Legalize Anarchy, Stealing Things Is Not Theft. Sex Pistols 2017.
I'm the evil gubmint PC inspector, here to take your Guns, outlaw your God, and steal your freedom and give it to black people.
I'm Joe Biden. So far as you know.

For: Anarchy, Punk Rock Fury
Against: Thatcher, Fascists, That Fascist Thatcher, Reagan, Nazi Punks, Everyone
"Am I buggin' ya? I don't mean to bug ya." - Bono
Let's cram some more shit in my sig. Cool people cram shit in their sigs. In TECHNICOLOR!

Anti Communismm
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Anti Communismm » Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:52 pm

Dalmacie wrote:
Anti Communismm wrote:

150.000 to 340.000 Is a good number and shouldn't be underestimated .

http://www.lifesitenews.com/news/1.4-million-march-against-gay-marriage-in-france-police-tear-gas-crowd-chil/

That's fantastic.

Which matters why?

You claimed it was large and significant, I proved otherwise.

You are now claiming that it is significant regardless, when it actually isn't.

400,000 is a, at best, average number to get for a protest in France.

Not to mention that the polls showed that the majority of the people still supported SSM regardless, and wanted the protests to stop.

Would you like a source? I am more than willing to provide them if you doubt my honesty again.

'm inclined to agree with the higher estimate, since it matches images of crowds during World Cup and other rallies which were estimated at 1 million plus. Certainly not the scant 1/4 mil head-counts on the official record but it's near that number.
Last edited by Anti Communismm on Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Smash The Left

The Blaatschapen
Technical Moderator

Anarchy

Postby The Blaatschapen » Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:52 pm

Occupied Deutschland wrote:

\Well, snakes are reptiles, reptiles are related to dinosaurs and dinosaurs are related to birds. Face it, feather boas are a product of evolution :p

Des-Bal
Post Czar

Founded: Jan 24, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Des-Bal » Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:52 pm

Dakini wrote:Well... the feathers do tend to get everywhere.

Other than that, maybe it's because they're traditionally feminine accessories and people have to remind everyone how much they hate women by taking it out on everything that's remotely associated with women.

Here I was using them as a shorthand for camp.
Cekoviu wrote:DES-BAL: Introverted, blunt, focused, utilitarian. Hard to read; not verbose online or likely in real life. Places little emphasis on interpersonal relationships, particularly with online strangers for whom the investment would outweigh the returns.
Desired perception: Logical, intellectual
Public perception: Neutral-positive - blunt, cold, logical, skilled at debating
Mindset: Logos

Dalmacie
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 28, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Dalmacie » Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:52 pm

Rawrckia wrote:
Dalmacie wrote:10- 1 May 2002: 1.3 million march in Paris against the candidacy of Jean-Marine Le Pen in the presidential elections.

Really? Huh. I thought Le Pen was pretty cool judging from her principles.

The protests were against her father.

An unapologetic anti-Semitic Islamophobe, French nationalist, Catholic fundamentalist, and a close friend of numerous Nazi collaborators to boot.

His daughter is more mainstream and popular now, mostly because she dumped his most extreme, and unpopular positions. Anything to get elected eh?

Dakini
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Dakini » Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:53 pm

Bottle wrote:

...I'm not sure if that would be best with or without feathers. I mean, if there are feathers on it too then you don't necessarily see the penises until you look closely which has the advantage that it will be funny to watch when people notice. If there are no feathers and it's clearly a bunch of sparkly penises then it's sparkly penises everywhere.

Cadaver breadsticks
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Cadaver breadsticks » Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:53 pm

Yumyumsuppertime wrote:

I'm never going to look at Hulk Hogan the same way again.

You only have to look to Brutus Beefcake to realise that.
do not meddle in the affairs of dragons
subtract 24,817 from my post count
another lgbt autistic teenager
pro: melodic hardcore, japanese things
anti: everything

The Blaatschapen
Technical Moderator

Anarchy

Postby The Blaatschapen » Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:54 pm

Dakini wrote:
Bottle wrote:And now I want a boa made of tiny sparkly penises.

...I'm not sure if that would be best with or without feathers. I mean, if there are feathers on it too then you don't necessarily see the penises until you look closely which has the advantage that it will be funny to watch when people notice. If there are no feathers and it's clearly a bunch of sparkly penises then it's sparkly penises everywhere.

And what is exactly the problem with sparkly penises everywhere?

Dalmacie
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 28, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Dalmacie » Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:54 pm

Anti Communismm wrote:

'm inclined to agree with the higher estimate, since it matches images of crowds during World Cup and other rallies which were estimated at 1 million plus. Certainly not the scant 1/4 mil head-counts on the official record but it's near that number.

That's fantastic, again.

I'm inclined to believe the police, and not the biased protesters.

Oh well, reality, there are different ways to look at it eh?

Except only one of them is actually true.

But what has honesty ever gotten me, am I right?

Katganistan
Senior Game Moderator

Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Katganistan » Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:55 pm

They make me sneeze.

That's about it.

Bottle
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Bottle » Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:56 pm

The Blaatschapen wrote:
Dakini wrote:...I'm not sure if that would be best with or without feathers. I mean, if there are feathers on it too then you don't necessarily see the penises until you look closely which has the advantage that it will be funny to watch when people notice. If there are no feathers and it's clearly a bunch of sparkly penises then it's sparkly penises everywhere.

I'll let Bella Swan field that question...

Choronzon
Powerbroker

Founded: Apr 17, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Choronzon » Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:56 pm

Bottle wrote:
Choronzon wrote:I can, actually.

They're giant, unapologetic, raging homophobes however.

Well I guess that kind of supports my point. Cause, see, I live in a place where we've had gay marriage for a decade, so raging homophobes are the ones who are in the closet 'round these parts. Loud, out, Proud gay people did their flamboyant thang so well that we have effectively silenced the dwindling minority who are stupid enough that they can't tell the difference between a parade and a PTA meeting.

Truly you live in paradise.

I, on the other hand, work in a small town in the midwest where people routinely make appallingly homophobic comments expecting me to find them funny.
Last edited by Choronzon on Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Parkus Empire
Post Czar

Founded: Sep 12, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby The Parkus Empire » Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:56 pm

Bottle wrote:

Actually laughed, here. Especially because homophobes are often upset by sex in general.

Just the idea that people flip out about it making you look like a "subspecies" or "alien" is a good enough reason to wear them. I'm fucking tempted to wear them myself, now.
Last edited by The Parkus Empire on Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
American Orthodox: one, holy, catholic, and apostolic church.
Jesus is Allah ن
Burkean conservative
Homophobic
Anti-feminist sexist
♂Copy and paste this in your sig if you passed biology and know men and women aren't the same.♀

The Steel Magnolia
Powerbroker

Founded: Dec 29, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby The Steel Magnolia » Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:57 pm

Bottle wrote:

*shudders*

Unless they're those of MRAs. I doubt we'd even have to do any resizing.

The Blaatschapen
Technical Moderator

Anarchy

Postby The Blaatschapen » Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:57 pm

Bottle wrote:
The Blaatschapen wrote:

I'll let Bella Swan field that question...

I had to look up who that is. Thanks, now my google search history contains Twilight.

And I still do not get the reference, since I quickly closed the tab.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General