NATION

PASSWORD

Why is incest wrong?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Sondstead
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 16, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Sondstead » Sat May 11, 2013 1:02 pm

Yankee Empire wrote:Why should I have to live in a society that tolerates this shit when it's wrong and offers absolutely no benefit to society ,humanity or civilization?

Because you don't have the right to freedumb from being offended. *nods* ;)
Maredoratica – A Realistic Modern Tech Roleplaying Region
Fartsniffage wrote:Poor analogy. A better one would be a high school american football team approaching a couple of kids quietly reading/writing during lunch hour, telling them to play with them and then stamping on their books/notepads if they refuse.

All with the teacher watching on from the sidelines nodding in approval.

Visit Sondstead at : IIWiki (related articles) : Embassy Program
Commerce : KMF Automobile : Nörditser Windstrand International Airport

Follow SRR Sondstead World – Your Window on Sondstead

OMGeverynameistaken
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jun 24, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby OMGeverynameistaken » Sat May 11, 2013 1:06 pm

The genetics of incest vary based on your choice of partner. Cousin incest isn't apparently so bad, but some trolling around on Google seems to indicate that, to take a condition at random, parent or sibling incest increases the chance of a child being born with cystic fibrosis by %25-30. I would call that fairly significant, although I can't, I admit, find any 'real' scientific sources that I'm prepared to read through. Not being a geneticist, the volumes on the subject on Google Books are more or less impenetrable to me.
I AM DISAPPOINTED

Gallifrey Express
Envoy

Founded: May 06, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Gallifrey Express » Sat May 11, 2013 1:08 pm

OMGeverynameistaken wrote:The genetics of incest vary based on your choice of partner. Cousin incest isn't apparently so bad, but some trolling around on Google seems to indicate that, to take a condition at random, parent or sibling incest increases the chance of a child being born with cystic fibrosis by %25-30. I would call that fairly significant, although I can't, I admit, find any 'real' scientific sources that I'm prepared to read through. Not being a geneticist, the volumes on the subject on Google Books are more or less impenetrable to me.

What's the starting chance of being born with CF? That's as important as the percentile increase.

Yankee Empire
Senator

Founded: Aug 01, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Yankee Empire » Sat May 11, 2013 1:09 pm

Gallifrey Express wrote:And until you actually show how it's wrong, instead of just constantly using the same words with nothing to back them up, you're just spitting up insane drivel because you can't fathom the concept of someone wanting to into sex with a relative. We get it. That disgusts you. Salmon disgusts me. I don't want to ban salmon.

And he accuses me of strawmen...
Gallifrey Express wrote:And if incestuous relationships have no benefit for civilization, then the same thing can be said about all relationships, until you can prove how they're bad.

No it can't thats retarted what the fuck are you talking about, relationships are central to civilized society and humanity, but there are billions of alternatives as opposed to fucking family members.

Thats why the whole unverified "loving relationship" argument is bullshit too.

It's Wrong for the 5th time, Because it's socially abhorrent/corrosive, Mentally dysfunctional, and Biologically dangerous.

Think about the families and how this act makes them feel, you think their okay with this, that theyr should tolerate this, because these degenerates couldn't choose someone else to fuck!

What the hell is wrong with you?

And i've read incidences of incest and and the people usually have some sort of mental disorder or illness.

And inbreeding is not only biolgically dangerous, people are going well it's not as Dangerous as so and so ,who fuckign cares if it isn't 100% guranted to make a retarded baby? There's no justification for it. When people can choose so many other people to breed with.

But even if my only argument was "Ick that's fucking gross" it'd still be a good enough argument because you offer absolutely nothing, not one goddamn thing for why Incest should be allowed.

None. If your saying it shouldn't be illegal then your the one that has to justify why. Not me, it's illegal im glad and i want it to stay that way because legalizing it would in no way improve the state of civilized society.
Economic Left/Right: -6.50
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 2.05

Pro: U.S.,Diplomatic Militarism, Imperialism, Patriotism/Civic Nationalism, Cosmopolitanism, Stoicism, Authoritarianism, Classical Liberalism, Unionism, Centralization (usually), Federalism, Corporatism.
Anti:Tribalism, Seccessionism(usually),Decentralization,Pure Capitalism/State controlled economics, Misanthropy,Cruelty, Cowardice, Pacifism,Hedonism, Corporitocracy.
Vice-Chairman of the National-Imperialist-FreedomParty
"My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right."-Carl Schurz

Gallifrey Express
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Gallifrey Express » Sat May 11, 2013 1:11 pm

Yankee Empire wrote:
Gallifrey Express wrote:And until you actually show how it's wrong, instead of just constantly using the same words with nothing to back them up, you're just spitting up insane drivel because you can't fathom the concept of someone wanting to into sex with a relative. We get it. That disgusts you. Salmon disgusts me. I don't want to ban salmon.

And he accuses me of strawmen...

That's what your doing. Calling it things with no sources, no proof, nothing.
Gallifrey Express wrote:And if incestuous relationships have no benefit for civilization, then the same thing can be said about all relationships, until you can prove how they're bad.

No it can't thats retarted what the fuck are you talking about, relationships are central to civilized society and humanity, but there are billions of alternatives as opposed to fucking family members.

Thats why the whole unverified "loving relationship" argument is bullshit too.

It's Wrong for the 5th time, Because it's socially abhorrent/corrosive, Mentally dysfunctional, and Biologically dangerous.

Think about the families and how this act makes them feel, you think their okay with this, that theyr should tolerate this, because these degenerates couldn't choose someone else to fuck!

What the hell is wrong with you?

And i've read incidences of incest and and the people usually have some sort of mental disorder or illness.

And inbreeding is not only biolgically dangerous, people are going well it's not as Dangerous as so and so ,who fuckign cares if it isn't 100% guranted to make a retarded baby? There's no justification for it. When people can choose so many other people to breed with.

But even if my only argument was "Ick that's fucking gross" it'd still be a good enough argument because you offer absolutely nothing, not one goddamn thing for why Incest should be allowed.

None. If your saying it shouldn't be illegal then your the one that has to justify why. Not me, it's illegal im glad and i want it to stay that way because legalizing it would in no way improve the state of civilized society.

No proof, just more rhetoric? K.

Stedicules
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 25, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Stedicules » Sat May 11, 2013 1:14 pm

Esternial wrote:
Lamassu wrote:Apparently incest won't do anything to a newborn's genetics. Well, anything incredibly major like a third leg or mental retardation.

It increases the chance of recessive genes surfacing.

Many harmful genes are recessive, ergo...

Then explain the royal families.
DOMINATED BY OBSESSION OF POWER AND LUST, LED BY UNWRITTEN RULES FROM CLINICAL BIRTH TO CLINICAL DEATH. ASK THE EPITHET OF GOD! IT STILL IS DECEPTION, NO IDEOLOGY, NO PROGRESS; NOTHING. THE WORLD IS SMOTHERED IN ABSURDITY.

Gallifrey Express
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Gallifrey Express » Sat May 11, 2013 1:16 pm

Stedicules wrote:
Esternial wrote:It increases the chance of recessive genes surfacing.

Generations upon generations of incest, unhealthy living conditions and lots and lots of lead poisoning. The last bit is probably the biggest problem for them.

OMGeverynameistaken
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby OMGeverynameistaken » Sat May 11, 2013 1:22 pm

Gallifrey Express wrote:
OMGeverynameistaken wrote:The genetics of incest vary based on your choice of partner. Cousin incest isn't apparently so bad, but some trolling around on Google seems to indicate that, to take a condition at random, parent or sibling incest increases the chance of a child being born with cystic fibrosis by %25-30. I would call that fairly significant, although I can't, I admit, find any 'real' scientific sources that I'm prepared to read through. Not being a geneticist, the volumes on the subject on Google Books are more or less impenetrable to me.

What's the starting chance of being born with CF? That's as important as the percentile increase.

Wikipedia says %4 of European-descended people carry the gene for CF, while 1 in 2,000 infants born in the European Union are born with CF. When dealing with my children and a potentially lifelong condition that might require a lung transplant, those odds are bad enough.

And, of course, everything I've read indicates that multi-generational incest increases the problem exponentially.
I AM DISAPPOINTED

Yankee Empire
Senator

Founded: Aug 01, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Yankee Empire » Sat May 11, 2013 1:26 pm

Sondstead wrote:
Yankee Empire wrote:Why should I have to live in a society that tolerates this shit when it's wrong and offers absolutely no benefit to society ,humanity or civilization?

It's not about offence it's about having standards.
Economic Left/Right: -6.50
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 2.05

Pro: U.S.,Diplomatic Militarism, Imperialism, Patriotism/Civic Nationalism, Cosmopolitanism, Stoicism, Authoritarianism, Classical Liberalism, Unionism, Centralization (usually), Federalism, Corporatism.
Anti:Tribalism, Seccessionism(usually),Decentralization,Pure Capitalism/State controlled economics, Misanthropy,Cruelty, Cowardice, Pacifism,Hedonism, Corporitocracy.
Vice-Chairman of the National-Imperialist-FreedomParty
"My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right."-Carl Schurz

Trotskylvania
Post Marshal

Founded: Jul 07, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Trotskylvania » Sat May 11, 2013 1:33 pm

The reason why the incest taboo exists and is near universal is because of the Westermarck effect. Humans are biologically predisposed to not think of people we grew up in close proximity to as mating partners. This is to encourage exogamy, an important genetic survival strategy. It's why romance between childhood friends is often unrequited; one quite often thinks of the other more like a sibling than a potential mate. It's why kids have a strong urge to leave small communities when they come of age. And it's why you think that other people having sex with their siblings is gross: you'd never do it with your siblings, so you can't fathom anyone else trying to do it.
Your Friendly Neighborhood Ultra - The Left Wing of the Impossible
Putting the '-sadism' in Posadism

"The hell of capitalism is the firm, not the fact that the firm has a boss."- Bordiga

Trotskylvania
Post Marshal

Founded: Jul 07, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Trotskylvania » Sat May 11, 2013 1:33 pm

Yankee Empire wrote:
Sondstead wrote:

It's not about offence it's about having standards.

Your standards are shitty and irrational.
Your Friendly Neighborhood Ultra - The Left Wing of the Impossible
Putting the '-sadism' in Posadism

"The hell of capitalism is the firm, not the fact that the firm has a boss."- Bordiga

Coccygia
Powerbroker

Founded: Nov 24, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Coccygia » Sat May 11, 2013 1:33 pm

There is evidence that aversion to sibling incest is instinctive in humans (it might well be true in some other animal as well, for all I know). A study of children raised in Israeli kibbutzim (collective farms) in which the children are raised communally found that children from the same kibbutz never married each other. As far as I know sibling incest is rare and usually only happens when the siblings have been raised separately (there was a case about 10 years ago where two half-siblings, raised apart, married and started having kids. They kept having the kids taken away and wound up in prison eventually. But that's another story.) This would also explain the practice of exogamy, where you have to find a mate outside the clan or tribe (as still practiced by traditional Navajos).
"Nobody deserves anything. You get what you get." - House
"Hope is for sissies." - House
“Qokedy qokedy dal qokedy qokedy." - The Voynich Manuscript
"We're not ordinary people - we're morons!" - Jerome Horwitz
"A book, any book, is a sacred object." - Jorge Luis Borges
"I am a survivor. I am like a cockroach, you just can't get rid of me." - Madonna

QuadState
Lobbyist

Founded: Feb 23, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby QuadState » Sat May 11, 2013 1:36 pm

Well, recessive diseases and disorders are more likely to occur, in case of incest...
But, if it's a dominant disease (e.g. HD, Malaria), then you're screwed either way...

Hajaland
Envoy

Founded: Sep 13, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Hajaland » Sat May 11, 2013 1:38 pm

Apostledom of chaos wrote:An irritating number of people aren't reading this. Please do.

Don't worry, I not stupid, just uninformed. I am aware of, and (more or less) understand the whole genetics angle. What I'm looking for is the how and why of the social and psychological.

I'm not talking about rape, I am talking about to consenting individuals that happen to be related engaging in coitus.

Now, as far as I know, most animals don't care about relations, so (correct me if I'm wrong) that says to me, the we (the human race) acquired the social and psychological trait from something we have that they (other animals) don't.

Let me reiterate, I am aware of the genetic issues of incest. I want to know what the cause of the psychological and social dislike that the majority of humanity has of incest.

Have sex with a family member and find out.

Earth Federation
Spokesperson

Founded: Dec 01, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Earth Federation » Sat May 11, 2013 1:38 pm

I'm atheist, but i think that incest is absolutely un-natural in the human society and even for the good of genetic pool as a whole... The humans evolve thanks to the differences between them...
National Security Advisor, EFSA
WA Member
Proudly Member of 10000 Islands

--United States of Earth Federation--
Earth, home of reason and innovation, birthplace of human-kind, the best life form in the Galaxy.
Recently, the old CEO has been replaced with an incredible powerful Artificial Intelligence: A.T.L.A.S.
---------------------------------------
Government: Corporate Technocracy
Currency: Credit
Religion: Atheism
President: A.T.L.A.S. Artificial Intelligence of EarthGov Corporation
Population: 40% Humans, 35% Cyborgs, 25% Artificial Intelligences
National Animal: Dragon
Motto: Technology will lead us forever
National sport: Blitzball
National hobby: "Hunts the religious!"
--------------------------------------------------

Esternial
Retired Moderator

Founded: May 09, 2009
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Esternial » Sat May 11, 2013 1:44 pm

Stedicules wrote:
Esternial wrote:It increases the chance of recessive genes surfacing.

Well, the Stormborns are all crazy *nod*

OMGeverynameistaken
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby OMGeverynameistaken » Sat May 11, 2013 1:48 pm

Esternial wrote:
Stedicules wrote:Then explain the royal families.

The Romanovs avoided these problems in the 18th century by marrying ambitious German women, who would then murder their inbred husbands and take the throne over themselves.

It was really a remarkably effective system.
I AM DISAPPOINTED

Gallifrey Express
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Gallifrey Express » Sat May 11, 2013 1:48 pm

OMGeverynameistaken wrote:
Gallifrey Express wrote:What's the starting chance of being born with CF? That's as important as the percentile increase.

Wikipedia says %4 of European-descended people carry the gene for CF, while 1 in 2,000 infants born in the European Union are born with CF. When dealing with my children and a potentially lifelong condition that might require a lung transplant, those odds are bad enough.

And, of course, everything I've read indicates that multi-generational incest increases the problem exponentially.

So wouldn't that make the actual increase be closer to 1%?

Mistelemr
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Oct 19, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Mistelemr » Sat May 11, 2013 1:58 pm

you know, the whole "deformed children" argument can be beaten on so many levels, that honestly there is no reason to ban incest AT ALL

Option 1: Those engaged in incestuous relationships are legally prohibited from having biological children from their partner*. They may still adopt, foster, etc.

Option 2: Through the use of Eugenics we can screen out deformities and ACTUALLY ALLOW THEM TO HAVE BIOLOGICAL CHILDREN WITHOUT DEFORMITIES. This is one of those "holy shit" moments, though in all honesty in order for the child not to be deformed the sperm and egg cells would likely need be very mutated and different from the parents.

Seriously, no reason to ban it.

Also, for those saying "prove why it isn't bad" you are appealing to a logical fallacy. Those of us whom are saying there is no real problem with incest are making a claim of neutrality and not attempting to define the term in some new light or create linkages. If you want to prove incest is bad the onus is on YOU to make the argument as to WHY it is bad.
I occasionally do stuff on youtube, www.youtube.com/users/darecossack

35% Cosmopolitan
78% Secular
66% Visionary
65% Anarchic
74% Communistic
24% Pacifistic
19% Antrhopocentric

Stedicules
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 25, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Stedicules » Sat May 11, 2013 2:02 pm

Gallifrey Express wrote:

Generations upon generations of incest, unhealthy living conditions and lots and lots of lead poisoning. The last bit is probably the biggest problem for them.

Yeah -- Except they're all perfectly healthy.
DOMINATED BY OBSESSION OF POWER AND LUST, LED BY UNWRITTEN RULES FROM CLINICAL BIRTH TO CLINICAL DEATH. ASK THE EPITHET OF GOD! IT STILL IS DECEPTION, NO IDEOLOGY, NO PROGRESS; NOTHING. THE WORLD IS SMOTHERED IN ABSURDITY.

Atelia
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 07, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Atelia » Sat May 11, 2013 2:05 pm

It isn't.

I married my sister i dont care what someone else thinks about it.
Orthodox Crusader, Proud Pontic Greek living in Moscow, Traditionalist, Eurasianist, ENTJ single man.

☩Defend Humanity, Rebel Against The Modern World☩

Democracy is a pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance.

Blekksprutia
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 21, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Blekksprutia » Sat May 11, 2013 2:43 pm

The social and political dislike of incest is tied to the genetic issues.
KILLUGON and BERNIE SANDERS and my moirail, ERIDEL.
Founder of Kotturheim, home to my GAY POLECATS, who are TOO FABULOUS FOR YOU.
Arg: Blekk does that. The topics of same sex marriage and the human race's fight against idiocy motivate him to write some truly impressive and glorious rants that deserve to be remembered and sigged.
Zott: I see our Blekky has discovered the joys of amphetamines.
Horus: blekky you are blekky i am horus
Rio: Blekky you are the best person on this website. Figuratively, kiss me.
Blekky is like a bunny. He looks adorable, yet he might bite you till it hurts.
Veccy: you're the worst blekky
The Balkens: Blekk does that, he has been taught by NSG's greatest practitioners of Snark to Snark combat.
Napki: Marry me, Blekk
Aeq: Blekk, you are Jesus!!!

Sondstead
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 16, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Sondstead » Sat May 11, 2013 2:44 pm

Atelia wrote:It isn't.

I married my sister i dont care what someone else thinks about it.

I have to say, I really doubt this is true to be honest, mainly as I don't think that would actually be legal (or, let's be honest, socially acceptable) in any country. Unless you don't mean a recognized marriage, although even in that case, assuming your sister and the rest of your family is cool with it, uh, more power to you I guess? :unsure:
Maredoratica – A Realistic Modern Tech Roleplaying Region
Fartsniffage wrote:Poor analogy. A better one would be a high school american football team approaching a couple of kids quietly reading/writing during lunch hour, telling them to play with them and then stamping on their books/notepads if they refuse.

All with the teacher watching on from the sidelines nodding in approval.

Visit Sondstead at : IIWiki (related articles) : Embassy Program
Commerce : KMF Automobile : Nörditser Windstrand International Airport

Follow SRR Sondstead World – Your Window on Sondstead

Ifreann
Post Overlord

Founded: Aug 07, 2005
Iron Fist Socialists

Postby Ifreann » Sat May 11, 2013 3:11 pm

Yankee Empire wrote:
Gallifrey Express wrote:No, it's actually not. It's not hedonism. It's not championing complete and total personal freedom. It's saying, 'hey, fuck you if you think you have the right to tell people what consenting adults they can shag'fucking their close relatives is wrong and shouldn't be socially acceptable.

Because thats an argument? "Fuck you for telling me what i can't do".

That's all i've gotten out of people defending this degeneracy, "Fuck you oppressor!"

You show some empiracal evidence that indiviudals always now whats best for them and that others can't know hat better for them than the individual in question.

Can you do that? No because civilizatio nas it's structured is design completely aroudn the concept that individuals do't always know whats best for them, thats why we have laws ,restrictions and Taboos.

Why should I have to live in a society that tolerates this shit when it's wrong and offers absolutely no benefit to society ,humanity or civilization?

I have every goddamn right to oppose this rot.

No you don't. I know what's best for you better than you do, so I'm denying you the right to oppose this. Stop at once.

Esternial wrote:

Targaryeans. Only Danaerys is called Stormborn, because there was a massive storm when she was born. Creative, no?
He/Him

beating the devil
we never run from the devil
we never summon the devil
we never hide from from the devil
we never

Esternial
Retired Moderator

Founded: May 09, 2009
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Esternial » Sat May 11, 2013 3:12 pm

Ifreann wrote:
Esternial wrote:Well, the Stormborns are all crazy *nod*

Targaryeans. Only Danaerys is called Stormborn, because there was a massive storm when she was born. Creative, no?

Damn, I should have known better.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General