NATION

PASSWORD

The Official Mod-sanctioned Mayan Apocalypse Thread

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

The Corparation
Post Czar

Founded: Aug 31, 2009
Father Knows Best State

Postby The Corparation » Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:42 pm

The Archregimancy wrote:This is the official mod-sanctioned Mayan Apocalypse thread in preparation for this coming Friday's End of the World. All other Mayan Apocalypse threads this week will be locked.

Your friendly local mod archaeologist and university lecturer Dr Archregimancy has noted the following at least nine times, going back to the old Jolt forums:

The idea of 2012 as an apocalyptic/significant event stems from a misunderstanding of the Mayan Long Count.

The Long Count calendar is a base-20 system of dating from what, in western terms, is 11 August 3114 BC. There are four primary subdivisions consisting of the k'in (1 day), the winal (20 days), the tun (360 days), the k'atun (7,200 days) and the b'ak'tun (144,000).

The Popol Vuh, a book of creation myths from just one of many Mayan sub-groups, states that we're living in the 'fourth world', and that the 'third world' ended - and the previous creation began - at the start of the 14th b'ak'tun, or when the previous cycle's calender rolled over from 12.19.19.17.19 to 13.0.0.0.0 (for those without access to a calculator, that's 1,872,000 days per period). This is the basis for the 2012 myth.

However, there's no evidence, archaeological or documentary, that any Mayan group believed that the start of the 14th b'ak'tun of the current era would lead to the end of the world, there's no need to stop counting at the start of that b'ak'tun, and there are several Mayan inscriptions that anticipate events (such as future anniversary celebrations) taking place after the end of the 13th b'ak'tun.

Note that there are also some rarely-used higher subdivisions above the b'ak'tun which further invalidate the idea that the calendar 'ends' in 2012, and I've simplified the base 20 system for the k'atun and the b'ak'tun, though this is relevant to the discussion (they seem to only go to 13 when they're the highest subdivision counted, but do the full 20 roll-over when the next highest subdivision above them is included in the date). But essentially, the Mayan calendar is capable of expressing dates of hundreds of millenia forwards or backwards when the higher orders are used, and there's no reason to end the calendar at the conclusion of the 13th b'ak'tun.

I therefore expect to wake up on Saturday morning feeling alert and refreshed.

The rest of you, however, may have other ideas....

Arch you're looking over one very important flaw. You have degrees in Archeology and are an expert on the field. Thus as someone who knows what you are talking about you have no doubt been enlisted by the Illuminati to spread lies and falsehoods about 2012 so that people will not expect the total disasters that will occur. They plan on using the panic and deaths from the disasters to reveal themselves from the secret bunkers they've built and come out to rule the world and subjugate us lesser beings, and due to our shattered state they are plotting to appear to us in the guise of gods. Your game us up Arch, its been nice knowing but now I've exposed you you haven't long to live. I'm sad at this but the TRUTH MUST BE KNOWN!
Nuclear Death Machines Here (Both Flying and Orbiting)
Orbital Freedom Machine Here
A Subsidiary company of Nightkill Enterprises Inc.Weekly words of wisdom: Nothing is more important than waifus.- Gallia-
Making the Nightmare End 2020 2024 WARNING: This post contains chemicals known to the State of CA to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm. - Prop 65, CA Health & Safety This Cell is intentionally blank.

Lenehen
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 10, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Lenehen » Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:42 pm

Does anyone else think that we should all pretend that it happened, so in the future we can tell our grandchildren how we survived the apocolypse?
Call me lenny

Step 1. Buy a sheep
Step 2. Name it 'Relation'
Congratulations! You now have a relationsheep!
Dread Lady Nathanica wrote:

Double head eagle
Proudly spreads its awesome wings
Sure you're not condor?

RIP 1000 Cats

Astrolinium
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 05, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Astrolinium » Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:42 pm

San Leggera wrote:I vote that when we wake up on the 22nd, the first thing we do is shout 'He did it! The Doctor saved us!'.

**takes notes for his Doctor Who rp**
The Sublime Island Kingdom of Astrolinium
Ilia Franchisco Attore, King Attorio Maldive III
North Carolina | NSIndex Page | Embassies
Pop: 3,082 | Tech: MT | DEFCON: 5-4-3-2-1
SEE YOU SPACE COWBOY...
About Me: Ravenclaw, Gay, Cis Male, 5’4”.
"Don't you forget about me."

Ex-Delegate of Ankh Mauta | NSG Sodomy Club
Minor Acolyte of the Vast Jewlluminati Conspiracy™

Meowfoundland
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Meowfoundland » Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:42 pm

I'm fairly certain my friends are holding an "end of the world" party. I'll probably be at home, and have a nice early night.
This was formerly a signature. One day, it may return to its splendid past. In the meantime, enjoy some pictures of my cats.

Gauthier
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Gauthier » Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:42 pm

The Mayans are trolling people who were hoping the world will end so they can bail out on whatever responsibilities, burdens or debts they have.

Come Friday we'll have mass suicides because so many people realized the world would go on and so would their responsibilities, burdens or debts.
Crimes committed by Muslims will be a pan-Islamic plot and proof of Islam's inherent evil. On the other hand crimes committed by non-Muslims will merely be the acts of loners who do not represent their belief system at all.
The probability of one's participation in homosexual acts is directly proportional to one's public disdain and disgust for homosexuals.
If a political figure makes an accusation of wrongdoing without evidence, odds are probable that the accuser or an associate thereof has in fact committed the very same act, possibly to a worse degree.
Where is your God-Emperor now?

Multiflow
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 28, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Multiflow » Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:43 pm

I personally don't think anything out of the ordinary is going to happen on December 21, 2012, or really any day soon, unless humans are directly causing it.

I do enjoy the blackout theories, and have been thinking about them. My favorite way of playing with them is using modern computer systems to explain them. There may a bit of assumptions here (come on where would be the fun otherwise) but here we go.

First to set a partial framework. Black holes take in everything. There is speculation about an opposite, the white hole. We (our conscience, mind, soul, spirit) exist outside, our bodies are just avatars that receive information from there. This information is relayed to us through a white hole, and then our bodies in this reality send the information on through to the black hole to our conscience. During the next few days there is going to be an interruption in service.

Now think of this as a massive online game, with you plugged in somewhere else. What happens? Do you 'wake up' here, or do you 'wake up' outside? If you 'wake up' here, and others do not ... are they 'zombies'? If you 'wake up' outside, what is there?

It does lead to some interesting questions if you want to entertain it. Other than that, it is at least a good chuckle.
Greetings and Hallucinations!

Careful wandering in mine fields, you be likely ta get ya mind blown.
"Deep magic begins here ...." - anonymous
"Do or do not, there is no try." "But, master, is not trying doing in parts?"

Just like anything in this world, it not what you say, it is how many agree with you. All the laws, traditions, languages, and customs, only work because we, explicitly or implicitly, agree to use them. Most do not examine the things they take for granted. Question everything.

Inductive Reasoning

How do you hunt Fnords? With Koans.

TaQud
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby TaQud » Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:43 pm

Lenehen wrote:Does anyone else think that we should all pretend that it happened, so in the future we can tell our grandchildren how we survived the apocolypse?

no we should tell our grandchildren on how when they were kids, gas was $1.75! :lol:
CENTRIST Economic Left/Right: 0.62 Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -0.46
List Your Sexuality, nickname(s), NSG Family and Friends, your NS Boyfriend or Girlfriend, gender, favorite quotes and anything else that shows your ego here.
(Because I couldn't live without knowing who was part of NSG Family or what your nickname was. I was panicking for days! I couldn't eat, I couldn't sleep I was so worried that I'd would never know and have to live without knowing this! /sarcasm)
2013 Best signature Award

The Corparation
Post Czar

Father Knows Best State

Postby The Corparation » Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:44 pm

San Leggera wrote:I vote that when we wake up on the 22nd, the first thing we do is shout 'He did it! The Doctor saved us!'.

YES YES YES!!!
A Subsidiary company of Nightkill Enterprises Inc.Weekly words of wisdom: Nothing is more important than waifus.- Gallia-
Making the Nightmare End 2020 2024 WARNING: This post contains chemicals known to the State of CA to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm. - Prop 65, CA Health & Safety This Cell is intentionally blank.

The Corparation
Post Czar

Father Knows Best State

Postby The Corparation » Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:45 pm

Multiflow wrote:I personally don't think anything out of the ordinary is going to happen on December 21, 2012, or really any day soon, unless humans are directly causing it.

I do enjoy the blackout theories, and have been thinking about them. My favorite way of playing with them is using modern computer systems to explain them. There may a bit of assumptions here (come on where would be the fun otherwise) but here we go.

First to set a partial framework. Black holes take in everything. There is speculation about an opposite, the white hole. We (our conscience, mind, soul, spirit) exist outside, our bodies are just avatars that receive information from there. This information is relayed to us through a white hole, and then our bodies in this reality send the information on through to the black hole to our conscience. During the next few days there is going to be an interruption in service.

Now think of this as a massive online game, with you plugged in somewhere else. What happens? Do you 'wake up' here, or do you 'wake up' outside? If you 'wake up' here, and others do not ... are they 'zombies'? If you 'wake up' outside, what is there?

It does lead to some interesting questions if you want to entertain it. Other than that, it is at least a good chuckle.

That is literally the most ridiculous, absurd, unscientific and retarded theory about both the human mind and about Black Holes that I have ever read.

Maroza
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 28, 2011
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Maroza » Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:47 pm

Lenehen wrote:Does anyone else think that we should all pretend that it happened, so in the future we can tell our grandchildren how we survived the apocolypse?

For te luls :lol:
Current level 5: Peacetime
Find a Helmet
Put on a Helmet

Find me someone who does not support the revolutionary sciences and the technology of peace and they will be shot as traitors to the revolution.~Aethrys
The disease first struck a wealthy nation with low population density, an adequate health care system and naturally declining population.

Great Nepal
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jan 11, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Great Nepal » Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:49 pm

So, we fake history books and use large sums of money just so we can get bragging rights?
Sign me up!
Last edited by Great Nepal on Sun Nov 29, 1995 7:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Multiflow
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Multiflow » Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:49 pm

The Corparation wrote:
Multiflow wrote:
I personally don't think anything out of the ordinary is going to happen on December 21, 2012, or really any day soon, unless humans are directly causing it.

That is literally the most ridiculous, absurd, unscientific and retarded theory about both the human mind and about Black Holes that I have ever read.

Thank you! :D

Just like anything in this world, it not what you say, it is how many agree with you. All the laws, traditions, languages, and customs, only work because we, explicitly or implicitly, agree to use them. Most do not examine the things they take for granted. Question everything.

Inductive Reasoning

The Corparation
Post Czar

Father Knows Best State

Postby The Corparation » Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:50 pm

Great Nepal wrote:

So, we fake history books and use large sums of money just so we can get bragging rights?
Sign me up!

This reminds me of one of the most absurd conspiracy theories I ever read. It essentially boiled down to: "All of history is a lie propgated by Historians to mislead us" Think there was some NWO, illumanati BS in there as well.

Mushet
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 29, 2008
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Mushet » Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:51 pm

Madrilena wrote:I can't even believe that the people are even answering to this thing, despite they answering ironically. Even ironically isn't funny at all. With the Christian predictions about the end of the World since 1994/5 to 2011 I got literally enough. The Mayan predictions make me feel sick.

They're not Mayan predictions
"what I believe is like a box, and we’re taking the energy of our thinking and putting into a box of beliefs, pretending that we’re thinking...I’ve gone through most of my life not believing anything. Either I know or I don’t know, or I think." - John Trudell

Gun control is, and always has been, a tool of white supremacy.

Puppet: E-City ranked #1 in the world for Highest Drug Use on 5/25/2015
Puppet Sacred Heart Church ranked #2 in the world for Nudest 2/25/2010
OP of a 5 page archived thread The Forum Seven Tit Museum
Previous Official King of Forum 7 (2010-2012/13), relinquished own title
First person to get AQ'd Quote was funnier in 2011, you had to have been there
Celebrating over a decade on Nationstates!

Lenehen
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 10, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Lenehen » Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:52 pm

The Corparation wrote:
Great Nepal wrote:So, we fake history books and use large sums of money just so we can get bragging rights?
Sign me up!

This reminds me of one of the most absurd conspiracy theories I ever read. It essentially boiled down to: "All of history is a lie propgated by Historians to mislead us" Think there was some NWO, illumanati BS in there as well.

I say we do it! Who's going to believe the conspiracy theorists that NSG is responsible for re-writing history?
Call me lenny

Step 1. Buy a sheep
Step 2. Name it 'Relation'
Congratulations! You now have a relationsheep!
Dread Lady Nathanica wrote:

Double head eagle
Proudly spreads its awesome wings
Sure you're not condor?

RIP 1000 Cats

Mushet
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 29, 2008
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Mushet » Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:53 pm

Gauthier wrote:The Mayans are trolling people who were hoping the world will end so they can bail out on whatever responsibilities, burdens or debts they have.

Come Friday we'll have mass suicides because so many people realized the world would go on and so would their responsibilities, burdens or debts.

The Mayans are not responsible for these predictions
"what I believe is like a box, and we’re taking the energy of our thinking and putting into a box of beliefs, pretending that we’re thinking...I’ve gone through most of my life not believing anything. Either I know or I don’t know, or I think." - John Trudell

Gun control is, and always has been, a tool of white supremacy.

Puppet: E-City ranked #1 in the world for Highest Drug Use on 5/25/2015
Puppet Sacred Heart Church ranked #2 in the world for Nudest 2/25/2010
OP of a 5 page archived thread The Forum Seven Tit Museum
Previous Official King of Forum 7 (2010-2012/13), relinquished own title
First person to get AQ'd Quote was funnier in 2011, you had to have been there
Celebrating over a decade on Nationstates!

Fnordgasm 5
Senator

Founded: Nov 15, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Fnordgasm 5 » Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:56 pm

Well, I don't know about you guys but I'll be out on the town on Thursday night carrying a "don't let me die a virgin" sign with my pockets filled wish condoms. That's my plan.
Fnordgasm 5 is a twat.

The Matthew Islands
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 20, 2010
Capitalist Paradise

Postby The Matthew Islands » Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:56 pm

Just about sums up my life really.

"Yo, the worlds gonna end. But its gonna be the day you finish work for Christmas, so you can still get the week in. PROBLEM?"
Souseiseki wrote:as a posting career in the UK Poltics Thread becomes longer, the probability of literally becoming souseiseki approaches 1

Ovisterra
Post Marshal

Founded: Jul 17, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Ovisterra » Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:57 pm

The Corparation wrote:

YES YES YES!!!

This idea is Ovi ApprovedTM
Removing the text from people's sigs doesn't make it any less true. I stand with Yalta.

Great Nepal
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jan 11, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Great Nepal » Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:57 pm

Lenehen wrote:
The Corparation wrote:This reminds me of one of the most absurd conspiracy theories I ever read. It essentially boiled down to: "All of history is a lie propgated by Historians to mislead us" Think there was some NWO, illumanati BS in there as well.

I say we do it! Who's going to believe the conspiracy theorists that NSG is responsible for re-writing history?

Exjactly!
We will need to plant explosives underground throughout the world and rig them to explode simultaneously but with enough power to create minor earthquake... then, infect the world's water supply with sleeping agent. Then, we will do stuff and make them believe they survived the apocalypse because of us!
Last edited by Great Nepal on Sun Nov 29, 1995 7:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nude East Ireland
Post Marshal

Founded: Dec 31, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Nude East Ireland » Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:59 pm

This is a disaster.

Between meteors falling from the sky, the undead rising, aliens invading, and a nuclear holocaust, when am I going to find time to do any last-minute shopping?
Part One of the Incredible, Invincible Team Dai-Zarkeland!

Czechanada
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 31, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Czechanada » Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:00 pm

Nude East Ireland wrote:This is a disaster.

Between meteors falling from the sky, the undead rising, aliens invading, and a nuclear holocaust, when am I going to find time to do any last-minute shopping?

You can always shop online.
"You know what I was. You see what I am. Change me, change me!" - Randall Jarrell.

Multiflow
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Multiflow » Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:00 pm

Great Nepal wrote:
Lenehen wrote:

Exjactly!
We will need to plant explosives underground throughout the world and rig them to explode simultaneously but with enough power to create minor earthquake... then, infect the world's water supply with sleeping agent. Then, we will do stuff and make them believe they survived the apocalypse because of us!

Actually someone else suggested this in another thread ... get sets of clothes and in the morning set them out with sand in them ... sit back and watch.

Inductive Reasoning

Nude East Ireland
Post Marshal

Founded: Dec 31, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Nude East Ireland » Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:02 pm

Czechanada wrote:
Nude East Ireland wrote:This is a disaster.

You can always shop online.

Good idea. Everyone might die, but at least the Internet will be around.
Part One of the Incredible, Invincible Team Dai-Zarkeland!

Call to power
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 13, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Call to power » Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:06 pm

Guys, I have my own theory. What if conspiracy theories are just a bit of fun most people have? What if you're all being terribly socially inept in getting smug about this. Like a grown man trying to list the impossibilities of Santa Clause. Sure there will be a few nuts but like all cult things they will simply not psychologically accept they were wrong because they are mental.

I mean just a thought, but if you really had this Mayan business sorted and were not a robot, wouldn't you go to the end of the world party anyway?
Last edited by Call to power on Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Parkus Empire wrote:Theoretically, why would anyone put anytime into anything but tobacco, intoxicants and sex?

Vareiln wrote:My god, CtP is right...
Not that you haven't been right before, but... Aw, hell, you get what I meant.

Tubbsalot wrote:replace my opinions with CtP's.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General