NATION

PASSWORD

North Carolina Bans Same-Sex Marriage and Civil Unions

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
Threlizdun
Post Marshal

Founded: Jun 14, 2009
Left-wing Utopia

North Carolina Bans Same-Sex Marriage and Civil Unions

Postby Threlizdun » Tue May 08, 2012 8:46 pm

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/05/08/amendment-one-north-carolina_n_1501308.html
RALEIGH, N.C. -- North Carolina voters approved a constitutional amendment Tuesday defining marriage solely as a union between a man and a woman, becoming the latest state to effectively slam the door shut on same-sex marriages.

With most of the precincts reporting Tuesday, unofficial returns showed the amendment passing with about 61 percent of the vote to 39 percent against. North Carolina is the 30th state to adopt such a ban on gay marriage.

Tami Fitzgerald, who heads the pro-amendment group Vote FOR Marriage NC, said she believes the initiative awoke a silent majority of more active voters in the future.

"I think it sends a message to the rest of the country that marriage is between one man and one woman," Fitzgerald said at a celebration Tuesday night. "The whole point is simply that you don't rewrite the nature of God's design based on the demands of a group of adults."

In the final days before the vote, members of President Barack Obama's cabinet expressed support for gay marriage and former President Bill Clinton recorded phone messages urging voters to oppose the amendment.

Supporters of the amendment responded with marches, television ads and speeches. The Rev. Billy Graham was featured in full-page newspaper ads backing the amendment.

North Carolina law already bans gay marriage, but an amendment effectively seals the door on same-sex marriages.

The amendment also goes beyond state law by voiding other types of domestic unions from carrying legal status, which opponents warn could disrupt protection orders for unmarried couples.

The campaign manager for the group that opposed the amendment said the nation watched North Carolina on Tuesday night, wondering how the anti-forces came through.

"I am happy to say that we are stronger for it; we are better for it; our voices are louder now," said Jeremy Kennedy of Protect All NC Families. "We have courage like we never had before, and we have strength to continue on."

Supporters had run their own ad campaigns and church leaders urged Sunday congregations to vote for the amendment. The Rev. Billy Graham, who at 93 remains influential even though his last crusade was in 2005, was featured in full-page newspaper ads supporting the amendment.

Both sides spent a combined $3 million on their campaigns.

Six states – all in the Northeast except Iowa – and the District of Columbia allow same sex marriages. In addition, two other states have laws that are not yet in effect and may be subject to referendums

The North Carolina amendment was placed on the ballot after Republicans took over control of the state Legislature after the 2010 elections, a role the GOP hadn't enjoyed for 140 years.

Joe Easterling, who described himself as a devout Christian, voted for the amendment at a polling place in Wake Forest.

"I know that some people may argue that the Bible may not necessarily be applicable, or it should not be applicable, on such policy matters. But even looking at nature itself, procreation is impossible without a man and a woman. And because of those things, I think it is important that the state of North Carolina's laws are compatible with the laws of nature but, more importantly, with the laws of God."

Linda Toanone, who voted against the amendment, said people are born gay and it is not their choice.

"We think everybody should have the same rights as everyone else. If you're gay, lesbian, straight – whatever," she said.

North Carolina is the latest presidential swing state to weigh in on gay marriage. Florida, Virginia and Ohio all have constitutional amendments against gay marriage, and Obama's election-year vagueness on gay marriage has come under fresh scrutiny.

Obama, who supports most gay rights, has stopped short of backing gay marriage. Without clarification, he's said for the past year and a half that his personal views on the matter are "evolving."

Education Secretary Arne Duncan broke ranks with the White House on Monday, stating his unequivocal support for same-sex marriage one day after Vice President Joe Biden said he is "absolutely comfortable" with same-sex married couples getting the same rights at heterosexual married couples.

One fault line that could determine the result is generational. Older voters, who tend to be more reliable voters, were expected to back the amendment.

State House Speaker Thom Tillis, a Republican from a Charlotte suburb, said earlier in the day that even if the amendment passed, it would be reversed as today's young adults age – within 20 years. "It's a generational issue," Tillis told a student group at North Carolina State University in March about the amendment he supports.

"Also, that amendment is against women, I believe, because also underneath the amendment, other laws are saying that people who aren't married at all, they can't file for domestic abuse cases, if they're living with their significant other. Which is wrong," Toanone said.

In North Carolina, more than 500,000 voters had cast their ballot before Tuesday, which was more than the 2008 primary when Obama and Hillary Clinton were fighting for the Democratic presidential nomination. Both sides said that bodes well for them.

___

Associated Press writers Allen Reed, Allen G. Breed, Emery P. Dalesio and Gary D. Robertson contributed to this report.

Not only was a consitutional ammendment passed to forbid same-sex marriage, but civil unions are no longer recognized for same-sex or opposite-sex couples. Health and legal benefits will be lost for both the partners and their children. There truy is nothing I can say other than how utterly disgusted I am right now.
Last edited by Frisbeeteria on Tue May 08, 2012 8:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: title fix
She/they

Communalist, Social Ecologist, Bioregionalist

This site stresses me out, so I rarely come on here anymore. I'll try to be civil and respectful towards those I'm debating on here. If you don't extend the same courtesy then I'll probably just ignore you.

If we've been friendly in the past and you want to keep in touch, shoot me a telegram

Frisbeeteria
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Dec 16, 2003
Capitalizt

Postby Frisbeeteria » Tue May 08, 2012 8:51 pm

FYI: there was another thread on this topic, but even the mods can't figure out what happened to it. Please feel free to continue in this topic. If we find it, we'll merge.

Christian Democrats
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 29, 2009
New York Times Democracy

Postby Christian Democrats » Tue May 08, 2012 8:52 pm

It already was banned in North Carolina.

EDIT: not recognized would be more accurate
Last edited by Christian Democrats on Tue May 08, 2012 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Leo Tolstoy wrote:Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it.
GA#160: Forced Marriages Ban Act (79%)
GA#175: Organ and Blood Donations Act (68%)^
SC#082: Repeal "Liberate Catholic" (80%)
GA#200: Foreign Marriage Recognition (54%)
GA#213: Privacy Protection Act (70%)
GA#231: Marital Rape Justice Act (81%)^
GA#233: Ban Profits on Workers' Deaths (80%)*
GA#249: Stopping Suicide Seeds (70%)^
GA#253: Repeal "Freedom in Medical Research" (76%)
GA#285: Assisted Suicide Act (70%)^
GA#310: Disabled Voters Act (81%)
GA#373: Repeal "Convention on Execution" (54%)
GA#468: Prohibit Private Prisons (57%)^

* denotes coauthorship
^ repealed resolution
#360: Electile Dysfunction
#452: Foetal Furore
#560: Bicameral Backlash
#570: Clerical Errors

United Dependencies
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 22, 2007
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby United Dependencies » Tue May 08, 2012 8:54 pm

I'll repost my two local news sources from the last thread.
http://www.wral.com/news/state/nccapito ... /11079217/
http://www.newsobserver.com/2012/05/08/ ... sults.html

as I said in the last thread, even as a christian myself, It's a shameful day for my beloved homeland.
Alien Space Bats wrote:2012: The Year We Lost Contact (with Reality).

Cannot think of a name wrote:
Obamacult wrote:Maybe there is an economically sound and rational reason why there are no longer high paying jobs for qualified accountants, assembly line workers, glass blowers, blacksmiths, tanners, etc.

Maybe dragons took their jobs. Maybe unicorns only hid their jobs because unicorns are dicks. Maybe 'jobs' is only an illusion created by a drug addled infant pachyderm. Fuck dude, if we're in 'maybe' land, don't hold back.

This is Nationstates we're here to help

Are you a native or resident of North Carolina?

Threlizdun
Post Marshal

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Threlizdun » Tue May 08, 2012 8:54 pm

Christian Democrats wrote:It already was banned in North Carolina.

It was banned prior to the passage of this legislation, yet this is an ammendment to their constitution banning the practice.
She/they

This site stresses me out, so I rarely come on here anymore. I'll try to be civil and respectful towards those I'm debating on here. If you don't extend the same courtesy then I'll probably just ignore you.

If we've been friendly in the past and you want to keep in touch, shoot me a telegram

Frisbeeteria
Senior Game Moderator

Capitalizt

Postby Frisbeeteria » Tue May 08, 2012 8:54 pm

Laws can be easily overturned, constitutional amendments, not so much. It's a stupid and poorly written amendment that enshrines discrimination in my state's constitution, and I'm sorely disappointed in my fellow voters.

Kalibarr
Minister

Founded: Sep 05, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Kalibarr » Tue May 08, 2012 8:55 pm

In 20 years we'll be ashamed this was even an issue. I for one(and I'm sure many others) already are.
Last edited by Kalibarr on Tue May 08, 2012 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Christian Democrats
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 29, 2009
New York Times Democracy

Postby Christian Democrats » Tue May 08, 2012 8:56 pm

Threlizdun wrote:

It was banned prior to the passage of this legislation, yet this is an ammendment to their constitution banning the practice.

And 29 states have done this. I think it's clear that most Americans:

(1) Believe that civil marriage should be a union between one man and one woman;

(2) Believe that state courts should not substitute their own beliefs for the will of the people.
Leo Tolstoy wrote:Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it.
GA#160: Forced Marriages Ban Act (79%)
GA#175: Organ and Blood Donations Act (68%)^
SC#082: Repeal "Liberate Catholic" (80%)
GA#200: Foreign Marriage Recognition (54%)
GA#213: Privacy Protection Act (70%)
GA#231: Marital Rape Justice Act (81%)^
GA#233: Ban Profits on Workers' Deaths (80%)*
GA#249: Stopping Suicide Seeds (70%)^
GA#253: Repeal "Freedom in Medical Research" (76%)
GA#285: Assisted Suicide Act (70%)^
GA#310: Disabled Voters Act (81%)
GA#373: Repeal "Convention on Execution" (54%)
GA#468: Prohibit Private Prisons (57%)^

* denotes coauthorship
^ repealed resolution
#360: Electile Dysfunction
#452: Foetal Furore
#560: Bicameral Backlash
#570: Clerical Errors

United Dependencies
Postmaster-General

Postby United Dependencies » Tue May 08, 2012 8:56 pm

Frisbeeteria wrote:

Laws can be easily overturned, constitutional amendments, not so much. It's a stupid and poorly written amendment that enshrines discrimination in my state's constitution, and I'm sorely disappointed in my fellow voters.

This was the first time I voted too. :(

Fucking republican general assembly.
However, I am interested in hearing about how this whole ballot mess up issue turned out.

Obamacult wrote:Maybe there is an economically sound and rational reason why there are no longer high paying jobs for qualified accountants, assembly line workers, glass blowers, blacksmiths, tanners, etc.

Maybe dragons took their jobs. Maybe unicorns only hid their jobs because unicorns are dicks. Maybe 'jobs' is only an illusion created by a drug addled infant pachyderm. Fuck dude, if we're in 'maybe' land, don't hold back.

The Corparation
Post Czar

Founded: Aug 31, 2009
Father Knows Best State

Postby The Corparation » Tue May 08, 2012 8:56 pm

Honestly as much as I despise this, Prop 8 from California is on its way to SCOTUS, it stands a good chance of upholding the lower courts in striking it down and so when it gets struck down this will go as well.

Frisbeeteria wrote:FYI: there was another thread on this topic, but even the mods can't figure out what happened to it. Please feel free to continue in this topic. If we find it, we'll merge.

Isn't it obvious? it was squashed by the Gay Conspiracy against our freedom.
Nuclear Death Machines Here (Both Flying and Orbiting)
Orbital Freedom Machine Here
A Subsidiary company of Nightkill Enterprises Inc.Weekly words of wisdom: Nothing is more important than waifus.- Gallia-
Making the Nightmare End 2020 2024 WARNING: This post contains chemicals known to the State of CA to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm. - Prop 65, CA Health & Safety This Cell is intentionally blank.

Cerberion
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 22, 2010
Corporate Police State

Postby Cerberion » Tue May 08, 2012 8:57 pm

While I am quite firm on my views on what defines a marriage, I am tolerant enough to accept everyone has the right to a civil union.

What I am saddened by is this conception that we must have laws to protect people's moral views. What they seem to forget is that by every act of legislation, they reduce freedom.

With all that said, I have to say the people of any given state have the right to operate the state as they see fit. Majority views can change over time so nothing is set in stone.

So, I'm sorry for those who have been negatively affected by the legislation.

United Dependencies
Postmaster-General

Postby United Dependencies » Tue May 08, 2012 9:00 pm

Christian Democrats wrote:(1) Believe that civil marriage should be a union between one man and one woman;

(2) Believe that state courts should not substitute their own beliefs for the will of the people.

Why? Why does it matter? I am a christian myself and it boggles the mind that the actions undertaken by others matter to us.

Adultry is a sin, why not make that illegal?
It's a sin to be too rich and not give enough to the poor and the church. Why not enshrine that in law?

It is a sin to hate others. Why have we not made this law yet?

Nansurium
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 02, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Nansurium » Tue May 08, 2012 9:00 pm

It was banned by a democratic majority representing the people. Whether you agree with banning gay marriage or not, no one can argue that this isn't what the people of North Carolina wanted.
Political Party: Republican (moderate) Political Compass: Economic Left/Right: -0.25 Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.51

"And the Tea Party Hobbits can return to Middle-Earth having defeated Mordor" -John McCain

Global and Comparative Studies Major at Birmingham-Southern College

A High Dark Place
Spokesperson

Founded: Apr 29, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby A High Dark Place » Tue May 08, 2012 9:01 pm

Joe Easterling, who described himself as a devout Christian, voted for the amendment at a polling place in Wake Forest.

"I know that some people may argue that the Bible may not necessarily be applicable, or it should not be applicable, on such policy matters. But even looking at nature itself, procreation is impossible without a man and a woman. And because of those things, I think it is important that the state of North Carolina's laws are compatible with the laws of nature but, more importantly, with the laws of God."

Right on Joe. Next up, let's legislate that all married couples must have a child within one year or face jail.

Salpae
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 28, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Salpae » Tue May 08, 2012 9:01 pm

I doubt it will last. This is unconstitutional.
Everything you need to know about the NC gay marriage ban
Economic Left/Right: -1.25
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.51

Frisbeeteria
Senior Game Moderator

Capitalizt

Postby Frisbeeteria » Tue May 08, 2012 9:03 pm

Christian Democrats wrote:I think it's clear that most Americans:

(1) Believe that civil marriage should be a union between one man and one woman;

I think it's clear that the government should be in the business of protecting rights, even when the majority thinks otherwise. That was the basis of the whole Civil Rights movement, IIRC. It's not American Idol. It's not a NationStates puppetwank poll. It's not a beauty contest. It's about CIVIL RIGHTS. The People are stupid and shouldn't be catered to.

Threlizdun
Post Marshal

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Threlizdun » Tue May 08, 2012 9:03 pm

Salpae wrote:I doubt it will last. This is unconstitutional.

Unfortunately the American public only cares about what the Consitution should have said.
She/they

Brickistan
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 10, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Brickistan » Tue May 08, 2012 9:03 pm

Christian Democrats wrote:
Threlizdun wrote:It was banned prior to the passage of this legislation, yet this is an ammendment to their constitution banning the practice.

And once upon a time most Americans (at least, the proper white Americans) thought that those damn niggers were barely more than animals.

Good thing we moved beyond that, isn’t it?

Episarta
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 26, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Episarta » Tue May 08, 2012 9:04 pm

Threlizdun wrote:It was banned prior to the passage of this legislation, yet this is an ammendment to their constitution banning the practice.

And the "people's will" should be able to dictate what I do with my partner? What does it matter to you? Why should my neighbor have such a personal say in my life?

And of course we can always make the hypothetical argument that was made back in the 1860's. If the peopl'e will is for slavery, then that should be allowed as well.
Last edited by Episarta on Tue May 08, 2012 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Economic Left/Right: -7.62
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.79
By the pricking of our thumbs, something wicked this way comes.
Up-to-date factbook is on my nation's main page

Salpae
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Salpae » Tue May 08, 2012 9:04 pm

Threlizdun wrote:
Salpae wrote:I doubt it will last. This is unconstitutional.

Unfortunately the American public only cares about what the Consitution should have said.

Hopefully, the same thing that happened in California happens in North Carolina.

United Dependencies
Postmaster-General

Postby United Dependencies » Tue May 08, 2012 9:04 pm

Nansurium wrote:It was banned by a democratic majority representing the people. Whether you agree with banning gay marriage or not, no one can argue that this isn't what the people of North Carolina wanted.

Not entirely:

Polling by the Democratic firm Public Policy Polling and the conservative Civitas Institute both showed the amendment winning by double digits, but the Public Policy Poll showed that a majority rejected the amendment after they learned it would also ban civil unions and domestic partnerships

Read more here: http://www.newsobserver.com/2012/05/08/ ... rylink=cpy

The wording of the legislation is confusing and not all the legal experts agree on what exactly it will cause.

here is the official legislation
"Sec. 6. Marriage.
Marriage between one man and one woman is the only domestic legal union that shall be valid or recognized in this State. This section does not prohibit a private party from entering into contracts with another private party; nor does this section prohibit courts from adjudicating the rights of private parties pursuant to such contracts."
http://www.ncleg.net/Sessions/2011/Bills/Senate/HTML/S514v3.html

Liriena
Khan of Spam

Founded: Nov 19, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Liriena » Tue May 08, 2012 9:05 pm

Nansurium wrote:It was banned by a democratic majority representing the people. Whether you agree with banning gay marriage or not, no one can argue that this isn't what the people of North Carolina wanted.

Constitutional Republic 101

The mayorities don't get to vote on the rights of minorities. That's an excruciatingly absurd idea.
It's asking 2 wolves and one sheep what they should eat for dinner.
be gay do crime

I am:
A pansexual, pantheist, green socialist
An aspiring writer and journalist
Political compass stuff:
Economic Left/Right: -8.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -8.92
For: Grassroots democracy, workers' self-management, humanitarianism, pacifism, pluralism, environmentalism, interculturalism, indigenous rights, minority rights, LGBT+ rights, feminism, optimism
Against: Nationalism, authoritarianism, fascism, conservatism, populism, violence, ethnocentrism, racism, sexism, religious bigotry, anti-LGBT+ bigotry, death penalty, neoliberalism, tribalism,
cynicism

⚧Copy and paste this in your sig
if you passed biology and know
gender and sex aren't the same thing.⚧

I disown most of my previous posts

Flavionia
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jul 01, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Flavionia » Tue May 08, 2012 9:05 pm

My state is so fuking backward.
idk wut 2 put here

Tmutarakhan
Powerbroker

Founded: Dec 06, 2007
New York Times Democracy

Postby Tmutarakhan » Tue May 08, 2012 9:06 pm

America was once a country dedicated to individual liberty, not one in which the majority was supposed to have free reign to beat up on any minorities they can outnumber. America's observance of these principles has never been perfect, but now the country doesn't even consider it a worthy principle to strive for anymore.
Life is a tragedy to those who feel, a comedy to those who think, and a musical to those who sing.

I am the very model of a Nation States General,
I am a holy terror to apologists Confederal,
When called upon to source a line, I give citations textual,
And argue about Palestine, and marriage homosexual!

A KNIGHT ON KARINZISTAN'S SPECIAL LIST OF POOPHEADS!

Salpae
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Salpae » Tue May 08, 2012 9:07 pm

Unfortunately for you, we do not have a tyranny by majority in the United States of America

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General